PDA

View Full Version : SA camp in disarray

Tigers_eye
February 7, 2008, 04:18 PM
Good news or bad news you decide.

1) 1st, Pollock retires.
2) 2nd, Smith does not want to tour. Then asks to rest Kallis and Gibbs.
3) 3rd, Gibbs axed from the test tour, citing poor form ????
4) 4th, now Mickey may get axed over 'quota' critic.

As long as the tour goes on I care very little what is going on over there. The weaker the SA team is better for BD at home.

I am watching this one very closely.
Daily star reports: "Arthur could be axed"
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=22447

And Cricinfo reports:
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/335415.html

I know this is their internal matter but this may affect our series. ;)

Tigers_eye
February 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/335334.html
SA delays announcing their squad.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) has delayed announcing the national squad for the tour to Bangladesh, amid reports of a row over quotas between board president Norman Arendse and the five-man selection committee.
The squad was to be finalised on Tuesday and Arendse attributed the delay to the fitness of Neil McKenzie and Andre Nel, who have injuries to the calf muscle and neck respectively and are to be assessed on Monday. "If two of the players [Neil McKenzie and Andre Nel] selected for Bangladesh are not fit and will undergo fitness tests on Monday, why don't we wait until Monday before we announce the squad," Arendse was quoted by Reuters.
Arendse denied reports that he wanted Herschelle Gibbs and Monde Zondeki, both of whom are coloured, to be included in the squad. "At no stage did I say I'm insisting on Gibbs and Zondeki," Arendse said. "I did not mention their names."
The Guardian reported a heated discussion between Arendse and the selectors after the squad chosen by them contained four coloured players against the seven required by CSA policy, after which Arendse refused to approve the squad.
While not directly touching on that issue, Arendse said: "My role is not to rubber-stamp the squad. My role is to ensure that the CSA transformation policy is complied with. That may seem controversial to some people but it remains the policy of CSA."
However, South Africa coach Mickey Arthur, who is on the selection panel, said he wanted his strongest team on the field in Bangladesh given that it is followed by a three-Test tour of India. "As a coach and a selector I share Norman's determination to push the transformation agenda," Arthur told Reuters. "At the same time, I want to be able to look every player in the eye and tell him: 'I believe you're the best player for this position'."
© Cricinfo

Nafi
February 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
Are they that scared?

(Sarcasm is my best friend)

SS
February 7, 2008, 04:28 PM
No matter which team play against our batsmen (middle order especially), it will be same story. They don't have to bring world class bowler, as discussed and observed on our own eyes how our batsmen make regular bowler like bond, lee, bracken, even SA U19 bowlers can bowl them out.
Bashar, JO scored 50 and one good innings from superstars mean nothing in practice matches. It will require few years of hard work, reform to change our batting style.

Xavier
February 7, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hershelle Gibbs is coloured?
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/player/45224.html
:-/

Roni_uk
February 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
It will be even more embarassing if we lose playing the non star players.

Ora thakle at least amra bolte partam world class player der shathe harlam... akhon ki bolbo? This is our habbit?

Tigers_eye
February 7, 2008, 05:33 PM
Partial. :)

Tigers_eye
February 7, 2008, 05:33 PM
It will be even more embarassing if we lose playing the non star players.

Ora thakle at least amra bolte partam world class player der shathe harlam... akhon ki bolbo? This is our habbit?
Let them whine once they lose. :)

nasimul
February 7, 2008, 05:34 PM
There is nothing to joy. It doesnt mean our players will perform better. Batsmen cant even score against local bowlers how they will face africans?

tanim3960
February 7, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hashim Amla Is a dangerous dude. He is in a good form. we batter watch out for him. he was a key plyer when NZ visited there home. 172* & 104 respectively.....
also i hard he is good against subcontinant teams.
i hope not at this time.

Nocturnal
February 7, 2008, 07:58 PM
Good news or bad news you decide.
1) 1st, Pollock retires.
2) 2nd, Smith does not want to tour. Then asks to rest Kallis and Gibbs.
3) 3rd, Gibbs axed from the test tour, citing poor form ????
4) 4th, now Mickey may get axed over 'quota' critic.

IMO - it is a good news for us. The weaker they are we will have more chances!

Sovik
February 7, 2008, 08:02 PM

i was surprised too

mshakir56
February 7, 2008, 10:16 PM
So the south african selection has a differen quota for colored and normal guys, thats a shame. Players should get selected based on performance and not colors.

kalpurush
February 7, 2008, 10:42 PM
There is nothing to joy. It doesnt mean our players will perform better. Batsmen cant even score against local bowlers how they will face africans?
Lets see how they do in the real match...
Please don't be so harsh on them always.:)

al-Sagar
February 7, 2008, 10:56 PM

he is non white.

its long time since ntini and gibbs have been regular fixture as coloured playera in SA team.

al-Sagar
February 7, 2008, 11:00 PM
whatever problem the SA camp has, are we good enouh to capitalize on it ???

perhaps a better performance in ODI's

but in tests ???? but it could be the same old story.

any way if they come withut Gibbs, kallis and smith that should be a huge boost and we must make good use of it.

mshakir56
February 8, 2008, 12:07 AM
The weaker the SA team, the better it will be for us ! Without the experienced Smith, Kallis, Gibbs, we can wrap the Proteas in a web of spin ! But their Coach Arthur has said, that he wants field his best 11 in Bangladesh, so I guess our drem might not come true.

kalpurush
February 8, 2008, 01:06 AM
The weaker the SA team, the better it will be for us ! Without the experienced Smith, Kallis, Gibbs, we can wrap the Proteas in a web of spin ! But their Coach Arthur has said, that he wants field his best 11 in Bangladesh, so I guess our drem might not come true.
Yes, Mr. Arthur wants the best squad as it would give the SA team much needed practice in the subcontinent before the India tour in late March. SA is flying direct to India after the BD series according to CI. Its better to be prepared for an extra strength SA this time...

kalpurush
February 8, 2008, 01:11 AM
IMO - it is a good news for us. The weaker they are we will have more chances!
Sure, if it is happen! SA couch is planning an extra strength luggage to carry while visiting Bangladesh this month though!!;)

al Furqaan
February 8, 2008, 02:02 AM
whats the difference between wishing for a weak south africa and "honorable defeatitism". the same ppl who want a weak south africa would probably blast honorable defeatism.

a weak south africa already exists, its called zimbabwe. you guys want to play a series against zimbabwe?

i'd much rather fight and lose to a strong south africa than beat a team with no name players.

Game On
February 8, 2008, 02:25 AM
Mickey Aurthur won't get axed for sure as odi team did well against West Indies ;

BD-Shardul
February 8, 2008, 05:11 AM
:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Not sure if I will be able to repeat this after the SA series :(

abu2abu
February 8, 2008, 05:48 AM
I think the press is making a big fuss about nothing. This has nothing to do with race, Arendse says he wants to use the Desh tour to try out some new players arthur and Smith want to use it as preparation for the India tour and so have the best players. It's not about race or quotas as many of the new players Arendse wants to try out are white. I think it's more of a personality clash.

I can't see what micky arthur's problems is especially as the likes of Smith ahad already indicated they'd fancy a rest for the BD tour. also pollock was being used sparingly in the last year or so (eventually leading to his retirement) because arthur wanted to try out the likes of Morkel.

The truth is Arendse wants to do it his way and Arthur wants it his way...nothing more...

BangladeshFan
February 8, 2008, 06:50 AM
they dont want to come to bangladesh, they dont want to play bangladesh.

in our childhood we had a term"dudhvat", so if someone says he is dudhvat, it means take it easy with him, or dont play seriously with him. SA takes Bd as dudhvat. The same way Nz just saw Bd and proved it in the field as well.

Do Bd players care if people look down upon them?? I dont think so.

FagunerAgun
February 8, 2008, 08:45 AM
they dont want to come to bangladesh, they dont want to play bangladesh.

in our childhood we had a term"dudhvat", so if someone says he is dudhvat, it means take it easy with him, or dont play seriously with him. SA takes Bd as dudhvat. The same way Nz just saw Bd and proved it in the field as well.

Do Bd players care if people look down upon them?? I dont think so.

Agree. But I think this series will be a little bit different. Some seniors must perform better before they retire, and there are some emerging stars as well. JS has been working hard on our batting improvement, which is our major weakness.

Ahmed_B
February 8, 2008, 08:52 AM
[বাংলা]বাংলায় কি যেন একটা কথা আছে..."শকুনের দোয়ায় গরু মরেনা!"
কথাটা রূঢ় শুনালেও সত্যি, যে প্রতিপক্ষকে অভিসম্পাত করে বা তাদের দুর্বলতায় আহ্লাদিত হয়ে নিজেদের অক্ষমতাকে ভুলে গিয়ে লাভ নাই। এই পরীক্ষায় ১০০ তে ৮০ মার্কই হল "নিজের প্রস্তুতি"... এর পর কেবলমাত্র ২০ মার্কই হল "শত্রুর দুর্বলতার সুজোগ নেওয়া"। বাংলাদেশ দল যদি ওই ৮০ তে পায় ২৫, তো বাকি ২০-এ ২০ পেলেও বা লাভ কি?[/বাংলা]

Tigers_eye
February 8, 2008, 09:07 AM
[বাংলা]বাংলায় কি যেন একটা কথা আছে..."শকুনের দোয়ায় গরু মরেনা!"
কথাটা রূঢ় শুনালেও সত্যি, যে প্রতিপক্ষকে অভিসম্পাত করে বা তাদের দুর্বলতায় আহ্লাদিত হয়ে নিজেদের অক্ষমতাকে ভুলে গিয়ে লাভ নাই। এই পরীক্ষায় ১০০ তে ৮০ মার্কই হল "নিজের প্রস্তুতি"... এর পর কেবলমাত্র ২০ মার্কই হল "শত্রুর দুর্বলতার সুজোগ নেওয়া"। বাংলাদেশ দল যদি ওই ৮০ তে পায় ২৫, তো বাকি ২০-এ ২০ পেলেও বা লাভ কি?[/বাংলা]
off jaan. shob shomoi shotti kotha'ta na bolley hoi na? 100 tey pai 30. phel. ekhon 45 pawar chance, tao enjoy kortey diben na. jottoshob!!

#2 in the world boilay kotha. WC'a jai bash disi ODI'tey. Will enjoy three more years with a big grin. There are more where it came from. Just making sure in test we compete for minimum of four days. (And then blow them out :lol:)

Tigers_eye
February 8, 2008, 09:17 AM
whats the difference between wishing for a weak south africa and "honorable defeatitism". the same ppl who want a weak south africa would probably blast honorable defeatism.

a weak south africa already exists, its called zimbabwe. you guys want to play a series against zimbabwe?

i'd much rather fight and lose to a strong south africa than beat a team with no name players.
It is not my job to making sure teams like NZ and SA sends their B, C team against us. They have their own agendas. I care less. I am just licking my chops with the opportunity presented to us. NZ was an away tour, and saw most of our stars self-destruct. They can't change the self destruct mode in 3/4 months (Too many T/20 and ODIs games). However, they can prolong the timer that they have.

sadi
February 8, 2008, 09:29 AM
If you beat a 2nd string South Africa team, no record book will say that. Atleast we will win our first test match (except Zim ofcourse). I highly doubt it though. I don't think we can beat a 4th string South African team but hey as long as Kallis and Smith don't show up, I am happy.

FagunerAgun
February 8, 2008, 09:36 AM
If you beat a 2nd string South Africa team, no record book will say that. Atleast we will win our first test match (except Zim ofcourse). I highly doubt it though. I don't think we can beat a 4th string South African team but hey as long as Kallis and Smith don't show up, I am happy.
:lol::lol:

nasimul
February 8, 2008, 10:42 AM
SA havent announced the team yet but we are already dreaming on defeating their B team or whatever you call it.

akabir77
February 8, 2008, 10:44 AM
guys one thing we are forgetting here SA lost to us in WC because they were playing in Fast picthes before the BD game and all of a sudden that slow pitch got to them. Same thing happen to BD. So i doubt that SA will play same sort of game in BD as they will certainly practice on slow pitch before coming here and will have a better plan. so i am looking at a another white wash unless some one does some thing brilliant (which i doubt)

abu2abu
February 8, 2008, 11:00 AM
In the ODI I think we may be able to sneak a win. But the tests are unlikely. SA are taking this series very seriously as they using it as preparation for a far more important (to them) India tour...

mshakir56
February 8, 2008, 11:12 AM

Atleast we won't loose by an innings in Test Matches !

Did you guys realise that all the ICC Umpires must really like us when we play Test matches, cause we make their job alot easier and comfortable ! The reason I say this is because, they getting paid for 5 days while working only 3 days ! For the remaining 2 days, I guess they can chill with their family. That means they are able to spend more time with their family ! Which in term means that all their family members must like us as well because we are letting them have lots of fun toghether !:-D

Xavier
February 8, 2008, 11:22 AM
I don't see South Africa resting many key players... maybe only Kallis will be out for the ODIs...

al Furqaan
February 8, 2008, 11:27 AM

dude beating a 2nd rate Saffer squad is no different, IMO, than our win against zimbabwe.

and btw, its true we're not going to beat even a 3rd string saffer side. so why not play the first team and see if we can fight?

i for one hope south africa brings their best team.

sadi
February 8, 2008, 11:37 AM
dude beating a 2nd rate Saffer squad is no different, IMO, than our win against zimbabwe.

and btw, its true we're not going to beat even a 3rd string saffer side. so why not play the first team and see if we can fight?

i for one hope south africa brings their best team.

First of all, I see you contradict yourself. Let me explain why. First, according to you, beating a 2nd rate Saffer squad is no different than winning against Zim.

Really? Do you really think Zim is that strong? Eventhough we can't beat a 4th string SA side, we should beat Zim easily. That alone tells you the difference in strength. So beating a 2nd or 3rd string SA team is still quite a big achiement in my eyes and not the same as playing Zim.

Finally, record book don't keep track of who played and who didn't. They don't mention we almost won against Pak and Aus. So, I would still take the win against a depleted SA side. Atlaest we can say we beat them once. Plus, it gives the world a clear message. They can't take it easy against us and rest their main players. Well, wishful thinking I know but hey thats what I am looking for.

Beamer
February 8, 2008, 03:15 PM
This whole pitch thing is a bit overblown as I see it. We beat them in Guyana in a ODI game, where we ,given the stars align properly for that day, are capable of beating any team on any given day regardless of the pitch. We are talking about simulating same results in a test match where we lag behind so far that pitch situations are still a bit irrelevant for us. Last note : SA went to Pakistan a few months ago and handled their spinners quite well thus winning the series. Kallis, Amla, Smith are capable of scoring big tons on any pitch. Pitches won't matter one bit unless we start putting up decent first innings total.

Tigers_eye
February 8, 2008, 03:26 PM
...given the stars align properly for that day, ...
And I feel it. The stars are aligning ....

Come'on SA self-destruct and and leave Kallis at home. We'll take care of the rest.

Nafi
February 8, 2008, 03:29 PM
The story is still the same, preventing batting collapses.

Ajfar
February 8, 2008, 04:55 PM
still it won't make a differnce..

al Furqaan
February 8, 2008, 04:56 PM
First of all, I see you contradict yourself. Let me explain why. First, according to you, beating a 2nd rate Saffer squad is no different than winning against Zim.

Really? Do you really think Zim is that strong? Eventhough we can't beat a 4th string SA side, we should beat Zim easily. That alone tells you the difference in strength. So beating a 2nd or 3rd string SA team is still quite a big achiement in my eyes and not the same as playing Zim.

yes it is a contradiction if viewed strictly mathematically or literally. but i mean more in a qualitative sense. i won't get much heart out of beating south africa missing practically all their star players.

why do you think the wins agains australia, india at the world cup and south africa are so big? its because they all had all their star players in those games. the first win against india and sri lanka rank much lower in everyone's minds, and rightly so. the stars weren't there.

Finally, record book don't keep track of who played and who didn't. They don't mention we almost won against Pak and Aus.

thats damn right. i would add one more to the list, the windies draw where we dominated the match except the last session. 14 out 15 sessions won. many tests are won with far fewer victorious sessions. so we could very easily be a team that has won 3 tests. against more or less full strenght sides.

but the haters won't see that. and those are the bastards that are either clamoring for us to lose test status or cancelling tours against bangladesh.

lets also remember that the record also doesn't distinguish between a crappy player and one with pure class. when Javed Omar cracked 81 against the full stregnth aussies in natwest, one could think he is a classy batsman as no sri lankan bat even managed half those runs last night.

also the record won't mention a player was dropped 4 times on his way to 100. the ton will be the ton. but everyone will know that it was pure luck, little skill.

So, I would still take the win against a depleted SA side. Atlaest we can say we beat them once. Plus, it gives the world a clear message. They can't take it easy against us and rest their main players. Well, wishful thinking I know but hey thats what I am looking for.

well, i dunno, maybe its my obsessive compulsive nature. but i can't accept a win against south africa A. don't get me wrong. i'll be cheering the team on, but any success will be soured by the facts on the ground.

Sohel
February 8, 2008, 09:01 PM

Yes, according to apartheid as well as post-apartheid ethno-racial classifications. There are Blacks with Zulu, Xhosa and Ndebele being the three major nations, Afrikkaners (mainly descendents od Dutch and French Protestants), English, mainly Afrikaans-speaking Colored (meaning individuals with ANY amount of black blood), Indian and Malay. Andrew Hall, Ashwell Prince and Langevelt are also Colored.

cricman
February 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
I only skimmed through the Thread, but I hope you guys know South Africa A is really strong side, the beat a Full Strength New Zealand side in 3 days and Beat a full Strength West Indies Team too.

South Africa A v New Zealanders (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/123/123825.html)
South Africa A v West Indians (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/123/123828.html)

mshakir56
February 9, 2008, 12:49 AM
I only skimmed through the Thread, but I hope you guys know South Africa A is really strong side, the beat a Full Strength New Zealand side in 3 days and Beat a full Strength West Indies Team too.

South Africa A v New Zealanders (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/123/123825.html)
South Africa A v West Indians (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/123/123828.html)

you are right, their bench strength is really strong. specially their back up fast bowlers. They have tons of back up "tear a way " fast bowlers, who could give us a lot of goosebumps !

BANFAN
February 9, 2008, 03:48 PM
Good chance for BD to record a victory in test. If that happens, will do a lot to boost the confidence of our team. But they will obviously lack team espirit with some new players in the side. We can't yet take them lightly though.

Doesn't matter who plays in the team, so long it is national team, victory is a victory. Who plays and who doesn't is their internal matter. It does not take any credit away from the opponents.

One World
February 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
Even their A-team has better cricketers who can give top teams a run for their money.