PDA

View Full Version : Khaled Mashud retires from International cricket

cricman
February 10, 2008, 01:44 PM
He just wants a retirement match, give him one more Test cap and let it be done come JS and BCB

For a big-name player it is very important to pick the right moment to retire and thus make a graceful exit that endures in the memory.

Australian wicketkeeper-cum-batsman Adam Gilchrist is the latest example in this line of graceful retirements by cricket's marquee players.

Khaled Mashud, the long-serving Bangladesh wicketkeeper-cum-batsman, might not possess the same clout as West Indies great Brian Lara or Gilchrist in the international arena but he is arguably the best ever stumper the country has produced.

And that's why it is a very significant matter when the former skipper who has played 44 Tests and 126 one-day internationals for the Tigers, has decided to quit international cricket.

"I think the time has come to take the decision (to retire) to create opportunities for the young players. I would be highly grateful to the board if they allow me to make my last appearance in an international match whether it is in the one-day or Tests before officially saying goodbye," said Mashud yesterday.

There is nothing wrong about expressing the desire of quitting the game but the question that has been raised is whether the veteran wicketkeeper, who has been included in the six-member reserve list for the upcoming home series against South Africa, has taken the decision at the right time.

"I must say that it could have been much better if he (Mashud) had taken the decision earlier. I think the decision is a tad too late from him but we will still consider his contribution to the country's cricket. He can express his desire to the board as a contractual player and then we will discuss the issue," said Gazi Ashraf Hossain Lipu, chairman of the cricket operations committee.

"Pilot (Khaled Mashud) is still involved in the game and that's why it (the final match) can materialise. But before that he has to express his desire first to the board and then there is the need to take the opinions of selectors and our coach," he added.

Chief selector Rafiqul Alam also believes that Mashud deserves a respectful exit because of his great contribution to the progress of the country's cricket in the international arena.

"May be it's little bit late for Pilot (Khaled Mashud) to take the decision. But I personally believe that he deserves a respectful exit. He is best keeper the country has ever produced and he has served the country for a long time. We have to respect the contribution of players like Pilot and Mohammad Rafique," said Rafiqul.

"But I can't say anything about the fulfilment of his desire of saying goodbye through an international match. Everything will depend on board policy regarding the matter," he added.

Mashud however was optimistic about a positive response from the authorities.

"I want to put an end to my (international) career in an honourable way and that's why I expressed my desire to quit the game with an international match. I am hopeful that the board will show the requisite respect to my desire considering my dedication towards the game," he said.

"I don't think it will be a big problem for my team if I play another match because I am still the second wicketkeeper of the team," Mashud added.

Mashud, once acclaimed by his previous coach Dav Whatmore as the best wicketkeeper in Asia, came under scrutiny because of his poor batting and his exclusion from the last World Cup squad made one thing clear the fact that his dominance behind the stumps was set to end.

The latest exclusion from the 17-member squad for the two-match Test series against South Africa definitely forced him to take the decision.

Mashud was not only dependable with the gloves but also played some remarkable innings to raise the country's profile in the international arena.

A huge fan favourite, many of his fans will want him to bow out with his head held high.http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=22879

:bravo:to one of my favorites hopes he goes out with a bang

Miraz
February 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
The board should show respect to one of the best wicketkeepers of Asia.

Goodbye Mashud, you will be remembered.

layperson
February 10, 2008, 02:01 PM
Great news. Agree 100% with lipu that the decision was a tad too late. But good sense prevailed in the end for pilot. Now we need to start grooming 2 more wicketkeepers from the domestic league so that rahim does not take his spot for granted. Rahim needs to improve his performance drastically otherwise we need to give him a break soon.

Dhakablues
February 10, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think he should not be given a farewell match... Because he doesnt deserve a pity from the board. he should just retire and that would tell the whole story of how we honor our best players. Why should he be any different than Bulbul, Nannu, Akram? Its a story of our board that we always discarded our best players.

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
Another one of those emotional pieces. What's all this bull dung about giving him "one last match to retire with honor"? What's more lame is people like Rafiqul having a "discussion" about it. He is currently the second wicket keeper in the side and deserves a spot only if Mushfiq screws up very badly.

People are missing the big picture here. They always do. Pilot is, in our short history of test cricket, the best that we've produced, and he is capable of contributing to Bangladesh cricket in years to come. This does not have to be the end to his involvement with the game. If he is up for it, I think the board could engage him in coaching, because he has shown many a time that he is a thinking cricketer, and these skills will be invaluable for the younger keepers that we have in queue.

cricket_pagol
February 10, 2008, 02:42 PM
I think Pilot should be allowed to retire from international cricket respectfully, he should get an ODI or test match... Hopefully, Bashar will learn from Pilot. Mind you, Both bashar and pilot have given a lot to Bangladesh cricket.

cricman
February 10, 2008, 02:43 PM
Another one of those emotional pieces. What's all this bull dung about giving him "one last match to retire with honor"? What's more lame is people like Rafiqul having a "discussion" about it. He is currently the second wicket keeper in the side and deserves a spot only if Mushfiq screws up very badly.

Your acting like Mushiq hasn't been screwing up really badly lately?

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
Your acting like Mushiq hasn't been screwing up really badly lately?

Not really. Not any more than Pilot had been screwing up before he was dropped. With Mushfiq, there's the odd hope that he will score a few if pushed up the order. Sad as it is, our wicket keeping resources don't look too good at present.

If someone's not in the team, then he shouldn't be accommodated just because he's decided to retire, especially when we can still have him contribute to our cricket in other ways. Retirement doesn't necessarily have to be all doom and gloom.

zahid
February 10, 2008, 03:00 PM
Damn! Pilot is a much better option than the current out-of-form Mushfiq.

Eida Ki hoilo!

cricman
February 10, 2008, 03:03 PM
Not really. Not any more than Pilot had been screwing up before he was dropped. With Mushfiq, there's the odd hope that he will score a few if pushed up the order. Sad as it is, our wicket keeping resources don't look too good at present.

If someone's not in the team, then he shouldn't be accommodated just because he's decided to retire, especially when we can still have him contribute to our cricket in other ways. Retirement doesn't necessarily have to be all doom and gloom.

Last 4 Test Innings: 0, 8, 7, 6
Last 5 ODI innings: 0, 0, 0, 4*,0

Pilot lost his spot due to Injury and Mushiq took the opportunity with both hands and did some really good things with Bat and Ball especially in the WC, but all he wants is one match in a day where international cricket is played regularly and I just looked those scores again Mushifiq hasn't crossed 9 in a while ... Pilot would still be an Upgrade at the moment with Bat and glove.

It's not like Pilot is gonna go back to Rajshahi and stay @ his house for the rest of his life he'll probably be one of the next selectors or be a WK coach or something in that capacity with the BCB

al Furqaan
February 10, 2008, 03:09 PM

People are missing the big picture here. They always do. Pilot is, in our short history of test cricket, the best that we've produced, and he is capable of contributing to Bangladesh cricket in years to come. This does not have to be the end to his involvement with the game. If he is up for it, I think the board could engage him in coaching, because he has shown many a time that he is a thinking cricketer, and these skills will be invaluable for the younger keepers that we have in queue.

spot on.

and i am not going to miss an opportunity to bash the HaBa. all these guys retiring around him - and both rafique and mashud have arguments in favor of remaining in the side - yet HaBa continues to live in his smiley little dream world.

rafique can stay on as a curator and mashud should coach or at least mentor our young keepers. but haba really can't do anything and i think this is why he's staying around so long.

ialbd
February 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
just wanna see pilot in 1 of the test...... (after enjoying his valentine day natok with opi karim)

dash
February 10, 2008, 03:13 PM
we dont have enuff back up wicket keepers.
nd mush is not delivering.
not a gr8 situation

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 03:35 PM
Last 4 Test Innings: 0, 8, 7, 6
Last 5 ODI innings: 0, 0, 0, 4*,0

what do you expect when we're clearly playing him at the wrong position? 50/6 is not the ideal situation for a 19 year old to come in at, and he's hardly had a chance to bat without pressure starting from the first day of his career.

sadi
February 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
One game doesn't make much of a difference. Specially in a test match where KM may be the better choice anyway. So give him a test match I say. Don't want to sound too pessimist but we will lose either way. Give him a farewell game if it means that much to him.

Dhakablues
February 10, 2008, 03:45 PM
what do you expect when we're clearly playing him at the wrong position? 50/6 is not the ideal situation for a 19 year old to come in at, and he's hardly had a chance to bat without pressure starting from the first day of his career.

You can put Mushfique as an opener and still he will fail, you can put him at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and even as a bottle bearer 12 and still he will fail. Please name 5 great innings of Mushfique. Other than that fluke against India, he has not contributed to any wins or sensational match finish for us, has he? Frankly, he is the weakest link of the entire squad... even Shahadat does better than him. I think Mashud was the most intriguing left-out of the squad. Him scoring one of the highest averages in the NCL, having great performance with the gloves still put him at a reserve list. Versus, Mushfique couldnt do anything in NZ, constantly failing, had a poor performance during NCL, local clubs rejects him as a wicket-keeper but he is the national wicketkeeper? Mashud is now gone,, so wake up Mushfique lovers,, realize that you are killing your lover slowly but surely.

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 03:54 PM
You can put Mushfique as an opener and still he will fail, you can put him at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and even as a bottle bearer 12 and still he will fail.

That is a bold statement to make and I hope the management doesn't feel the same. I wonder how you make a prediction like that without watching him bat at #3 for a good number of games.

Please name 5 great innings of Mushfique.He scored a century in England, an 80 in Sri Lanka, the 50 against India in the world cup and featured in a couple of match winners in Zimbabwe (40's and 50's). Too bad he is made to bat when the game's virtually over most of the time.

Other than that fluke against IndiaOh so that's a fluke now? Why? Because he batted at 3?

so wake up Mushfique loversNo need to get out of context here. The best players will be picked and the fans will back them. Natural.

Rifat
February 10, 2008, 04:12 PM
give him first test, because if he scores a duck in the only one day international match he might play against South Africa(if he does get that opportunity) then he will not retire!

give him a test cap he will bat twice, because i can say, according to statistics alone, with 98% accuracy rate that bangladesh ALWAYS bats twice in every test they play, so it is highly likely bangladesh will bat 2x in both tests against South Africa, then he gets a proper chance to not make same mistakes twice, thus he will run out of excuse...

congratulations to him, contrary to what other people might believe, i know this is the right time for him to retire, he has shown some promise leading Rajshahi both with bat and leadership.

i would say his ODI career is about nonexistant and will never return(most likely) but in tests he should be given at least last appearence in 2nd test if Rahim fails again.

it is a good opportunity for him to regain national spot with a solid performance because i can assure you that if he gets a 100+ innings if and only if he gets a shot, he will not retire!

i respect him for all that he has contributed to Bangladesh so far... only on one occasion "the automatic choice" comment i thought he was a bit too arrogant and thus paid the ultimate price of being replaced by Mushfique who not only impressed with his limited opportunities he has been given but also he has secured the national spot for about a year(regardless of his current form, he will play the next series, i can assure you that) with good performances against India(world cup) and Sri Lanka(test supportive 80) and west Indies(world cup)...

anyways, a long post... i am really bored at the moment. might not post for a while, not until spring break i think...

MAY ALLAH GRANT US A TEST VICTORY AGIANST SOUTH AFRICA, and best of luck to Khaled Mashud whatever he does from now on.

Pundit
February 10, 2008, 04:18 PM
This is just a ruse of his to get back into the national team. Have we not had instances where there has been mass confusion around whether a player is retiring or not, in the past.

Mushy and Masud are the same...one is a real baby, and the other one is a grown-up baby.

Zunaid
February 10, 2008, 04:47 PM
This is just a ruse of his to get back into the national team. Have we not had instances where there has been mass confusion around whether a player is retiring or not, in the past.

Mushy and Masud are the same...one is a real baby, and the other one is a grown-up baby.

Funny. :)

I have an idea. Let's honor all our stalwarts who did not have the opportunity to retire timely (no, no, not their fault they overs stayed their welcome).

Let's pack the first Test with Nannu, Bulbul, Ather, Mashud, Bashar, Naimur, Akram, Mehrabt et all and give them a proper send-off. Results/fesults. Pshaw.

Sovik
February 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
he was one of the best keeper and a great servant of Bangladesh cricket. but i hope the selectors will pick him if he deserves a place in the team

Dhakablues
February 10, 2008, 05:01 PM
Mushfique's Stats:

<TABLE class=engineTable><THEAD><TR class=head><TH class=left title="class name" noWrap></TH><TH title="matches played" noWrap>Mat</TH><TH title="innings batted" noWrap>Inns</TH><TH title="not outs" noWrap>NO</TH><TH title="runs scored" noWrap>Runs</TH><TH class=padAst title="highest inns score" noWrap>HS</TH><TH title="batting average" noWrap>Ave</TH><TH title="balls faced" noWrap>BF</TH><TH title="batting strike rate" noWrap>SR</TH><TH title="hundreds scored" noWrap>100</TH><TH title="fifties scored" noWrap>50</TH><TH title="boundary fours" noWrap>4s</TH><TH title="boundary sixes" noWrap>6s</TH><TH title="catches taken" noWrap>Ct</TH><TH title="stumpings made" noWrap>St</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>Tests</TD><TD noWrap>6</TD><TD noWrap>12</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>146</TD><TD class=padAst noWrap>80</TD><TD noWrap>13.27</TD><TD noWrap>420</TD><TD noWrap>34.76</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>19</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>7</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>ODIs</TD><TD noWrap>28</TD><TD noWrap>22</TD><TD noWrap>6</TD><TD noWrap>350</TD><TD class=padAst noWrap>57</TD><TD noWrap>21.87</TD><TD noWrap>661</TD><TD noWrap>52.95</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>2</TD><TD noWrap>23</TD><TD noWrap>3</TD><TD noWrap>19</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And Pilots:

<TABLE class=engineTable><THEAD><TR class=head><TH class=left title="class name" noWrap></TH><TH title="matches played" noWrap>Mat</TH><TH title="innings batted" noWrap>Inns</TH><TH title="not outs" noWrap>NO</TH><TH title="runs scored" noWrap>Runs</TH><TH class=padAst title="highest inns score" noWrap>HS</TH><TH title="batting average" noWrap>Ave</TH><TH title="balls faced" noWrap>BF</TH><TH title="batting strike rate" noWrap>SR</TH><TH title="hundreds scored" noWrap>100</TH><TH title="fifties scored" noWrap>50</TH><TH title="boundary fours" noWrap>4s</TH><TH title="boundary sixes" noWrap>6s</TH><TH title="catches taken" noWrap>Ct</TH><TH title="stumpings made" noWrap>St</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>Tests</TD><TD noWrap>44</TD><TD noWrap>84</TD><TD noWrap>10</TD><TD noWrap>1409</TD><TD noWrap>103*</TD><TD noWrap>19.04</TD><TD noWrap>4136</TD><TD noWrap>34.06</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>3</TD><TD noWrap>147</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>78</TD><TD noWrap>9</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>ODIs</TD><TD noWrap>126</TD><TD noWrap>110</TD><TD noWrap>27</TD><TD noWrap>1818</TD><TD noWrap>71*</TD><TD noWrap>21.90</TD><TD noWrap>3315</TD><TD noWrap>54.84</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7</TD><TD noWrap></TD><TD noWrap></TD><TD noWrap>91</TD><TD noWrap>35</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mushfique never scored any centuries against England. You are referring to Northam game where he scored that century in the practice match. By any means potraying Rahim as a batsman-wicketkeeper doesn work by the statistics either. Position is not the issue because he is not a better batsman than Ashraful, Tamim, Junaed, Aftab, Sakib,,

Its not Mushfique we are discussing,, we are discussing whether Khaled Mashud was eligible to play for the Test. And for that matter, the stats, recent performances speak for themselves.. Fans will always side with their favorites. Personally, I am only advocating for the performers.. heck, if Nasu starts to perform now, I will take him as well.

nasimul
February 10, 2008, 05:27 PM
It is up to board if they will give a chance to Pilot for fairwell. Pilot will be remembered despite some poor performances in intl cricket in recent years. He has some major contribution to bd team. Hope he will engage himself in some cricket related activities because he is among few senior players who has some cricket knowledge.

FagunerAgun
February 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
A good decision, Masud. Please have our respect.

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 06:05 PM
Mushfique never scored any centuries against England.

I never said he scored a century against England. Key word "in". The reason I mentioned the century is it does carry quite a bit of weight, given the conditions we were playing under.

By any means potraying Rahim as a batsman-wicketkeeper doesn work by the statistics either. Position is not the issue because he is not a better batsman than Ashraful, Tamim, Junaed, Aftab, Sakib,,
We will never know if we don't play him up the order.

recent performances speak for themselves..
Of which Mashud has nothing worth noting. His international stats are inflated by performances too far in the past.

Personally, I am only advocating for the performers..Not really. You're advocating someone who is horribly out of touch, over someone who may be out of form but hasn't been getting the kind of chances that he deserves (re: batting up the order).

cricman
February 10, 2008, 06:39 PM
Not really. You're advocating someone who is horribly out of touch, over someone who may be out of form but hasn't been getting the kind of chances that he deserves (re: batting up the order).

Mashud's been scoring domestically where as Mushifiq hasn't plus, Hussey Bats @ 7 it doesn't effect him, even Ash batted @ 7 during the WC vs Lanka and he did well

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 06:49 PM
Comparing an Aussie to a Bangladeshi? Lol.

Ashraful's been around for a long time. My point here is that Mushfiq has hardly had the chance to bat without pressure - something that's important for a newcomer to be able to settle down. It doesn't quite help his cause if he's always coming into bat when the match is over.

As for Mashud's domestic performances - I wouldn't put too much weight on them. Yes, he's done a good job, but international cricket is a different story. If you're scoring consistently at a strike rate of 20 against Bangladeshi domestic league bowlers, you will likely not last too long when facing world class bowlers. Even Ash doesn't perform in domestic leagues but does fine against national teams. We need to send Mushfiq in earlier to be able to gauge his capabilities more accurately. I don't deny that he's out of form, but we haven't given him the opportunity to find form and score freely.

Mashud's been scoring domestically where as Mushifiq hasn't plus, Hussey Bats @ 7 it doesn't effect him, even Ash batted @ 7 during the WC vs Lanka and he did well

cricman
February 10, 2008, 07:05 PM
If you wanna bat him up, How can you when our batting line-up looks some what stable. Besides Bashar I'm comfortable with these 7 being ahead of Mushifiq in our test line up. And Mushifiq isn't # 3 material in ODI but he's not finisher either he's more of a 5 batsmen I think but i don't know where he really belongs in the ODI lineup.

1.Tamim
2.Juniad
3. Bashar (ok a one more series and he gone )
4. Ash
5. Sakib
6. SN
7. Aftab

But at the moment Bashar isn't leaving and Coach is infatuated with him so on this current team I'd rather have Pilot.

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 07:24 PM
See, that's the problem. In the current setup, Bashar is turning out more and more to be a liability. I don't necessarily want him to retire, but believe that a break could be his best chance of reviving himself at the moment. He isn't adding any value to the batting, but rather throwing his bat around all over the place and leaving us one man down. In tests, I would like to see Mushfiq take over his position, but you got a point here - the staff may not leave Bashar out yet.

As for ODI's, I think letting Mushfiq bat at #3 is still a great idea. We have two openers who can accelerate, and if they click, we need someone to stabilize the inning during the middle overs. We need someone to build an inning after a blitzkrieg, not someone to initiate a collapse. Given Aftab's tendency to use the bat as a sword (referring to his dumbly creative slogging here), I believe we will be better off if he bats at #6, so that when the top five have taken us to a reasonable score by the 40th over, he can do what he does best. This is definitely not a place for Mushfiq to come in as his style is not suited to the demands of the slog overs. Aftab's proven to be a finisher, so why not let him finish things off?

PS: Nafees is an opener, and should remain there. If that means he doesn't get to play because Tamim and Junaed are faring better, so be it.

Gowza
February 10, 2008, 09:00 PM
mashud could have played on, age wise he's not that old but hopefully this gives more chances to some other young keepers. i don't agree with the timing of his announcement though, just looks like he's using retirement talk to get another chance in the national side. not that i'm against him playing in the national side if he's the best BD have to offer but the fact that it would only be a couple of matches at the most makes it seem kind of pointless, may as well give give a young keeper some extra experience rather than bringing mashud back for a game or 2 only to retire straight after.

kalpurush
February 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
You can put Mushfique as an opener and still he will fail, you can put him at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and even as a bottle bearer 12 and still he will fail.
I wonder it's coming from a passionate fan!:confused::)

BD Tigers
February 10, 2008, 10:27 PM
I wish him all the best and hope he does get a chance may be one of the tests.

Pilot has piloted our national team for a long time. Now its somebody else's turn to do that job.

wiseshah
February 10, 2008, 11:23 PM
Its really strange to see that in form masud (batting wise, keeping wise always better) have to fight for a position with a burden ATM and totally out of form mushfiq. the way selectors are talking at these days, seems like Mushfiq will be the trump card of the series. may be they found another gilchrist or sangakara in him, who knows?

Mahir
February 10, 2008, 11:36 PM
As much as I hate seeing this thread turn into another earth-shattering debate over Mashud and Mushfique, I really want to give a supporting hand to ATMR here. Kudos to him to constantly staying by his constructive arguments about Mushfique.

JS seems to have committed a colossal crime by labelling Mushy as the golden boy of the future. The kid's baby-face look doesnt do any good either. People are using these as weapons against the poor guy. Mushfique's talent actually comes across to me as quite obvious - plays with a straight bat, good high backlift, doesnt dab around, plays in the V, extremely mature for his age, improving glovework, as cheerful and encouraging as a wicket-keeper can be in the field... His batting in that India game alone shows enough to warrant him a top-order batting position in the team. If anyone has seen that innings intently, Mushy's abilities shouldn't be doubted. He really has no business in wasting his talent while batting at a situation like the ones he's been having lately.

Mashud has truly set a high standard for any future BD keeper while he waltzed along in his much significant cricket career. His glovework was undoubtedly world-class. But it's great to see him realise when to call it quits, and we as fans should have nothing but praise for his contribution to BD cricket. And its upto the next generations of wicketkeepers in BD to make sure Mashud's not missed. Mushfique has all the potential to match Mashud's glovework and give ton more with the bat. Let's just be tolerant enough to stick with these current bunch and give them proper chances.

AsifTheManRahman
February 10, 2008, 11:44 PM
Let's just be tolerant enough to stick with these current bunch
From the looks of it, this is the only long term solution to our woes. We have to pick a bunch and stick to it. We have to stick to the same group through failure, again and again, until they start changing their game and improving, just like they did in 2006/2007, and started to do in test matches (somewhat).

Dhakablues
February 11, 2008, 12:02 AM
Agreed with Mahir 99%. 1% disagreement is due to performers vs. giving time. But At the end,, we all want a stronger Bangladesh side. If its Mushfique, Dhiman, Pavel, Jahirul,, whoever, we just want the best wicketkeeper in the squad. Period.

For Mashud,, he will be remembered for the best wicketkeeper of Bangladesh to date. Players will come and go but for Mashud, he was part of many Bangladesh's history, including that significant Six he hit with Akram Khan at the final over which won us the ICC cup, which paved the way for our ODI status. His early retirement was inevitable with the current selection panel. Whether he gets a farewell match or not, it wont taint his hall of fame. He will be "The" wicketkeeper of Bangladesh.

DJ Sahastra
February 11, 2008, 12:37 AM
There is very little to differentoiate between Mushfiq and Mashud on the sheer evidence of what we have seen so far - both in terms of keeping abilities as well as the batting.

Actually, Mashud might have an edge in both of them.

If he wants to retire honorably, it is like Bangladesh are losing an option that on it's face value is as good as the current option but with a big difference - he has served the team for many years.

It is not as if playing him is gonna weaken the team - atleast not on the face value.

He deserves an honorable goodbye. Anything less would be disrespectful.

mshakir56
February 11, 2008, 12:54 AM
Mashud deserves respect. And the board better let him play one match or else ......

mshakir56
February 11, 2008, 12:57 AM
Aftab is a T20 player! He needs to bat after 40 overs, cause thats when acceleration starts!

RazabQ
February 11, 2008, 01:15 AM
Guys, ask yourself this. Would the Aussie board have given Healy a final game to say good bye after Gillie rather abruptly transplanted him in the Test side? Was Steve Waugh offered a final ODI after the captaincy and position in the ODI side was taken away after the 2001/2002 tri-series? It's not like the Aussie's don't respect Ian and Steve. There's just no room for sentimentality when it comes to picking a side for a an international match at the highest level. Now if Mushy is injured or is horrendous against the Safferst in the 1st Test (as in dropping sitters left and right and batting bashar-esque) then Pilot _might_ have some cricketing reasons for selected. I'd still not select Pilot simply because changing keepers in mid-tour is rather drastic.

I stand by this position while fully conceding that Pilot is the best keeper we have ever produced and at present form Mushy is only marginally better than Pilot.

Also agree with Asif, Mahir, and most important JS that Mushy is just one good innings away from being back.

kalpurush
February 11, 2008, 01:46 AM
Guys, ask yourself this. Would the Aussie board have given Healy a final game to say good bye after Gillie rather abruptly transplanted him in the Test side? Was Steve Waugh offered a final ODI after the captaincy and position in the ODI side was taken away after the 2001/2002 tri-series? It's not like the Aussie's don't respect Ian and Steve. There's just no room for sentimentality when it comes to picking a side for a an international match at the highest level. Now if Mushy is injured or is horrendous against the Safferst in the 1st Test (as in dropping sitters left and right and batting bashar-esque) then Pilot _might_ have some cricketing reasons for selected. I'd still not select Pilot simply because changing keepers in mid-tour is rather drastic.

I stand by this position while fully conceding that Pilot is the best keeper we have ever produced and at present form Mushy is only marginally better than Pilot.

Also agree with Asif, Mahir, and most important JS that Mushy is just one good innings away from being back.
Ditto:):up:

BD-Shardul
February 11, 2008, 01:49 AM
Good decision from Mashud.....

Eibar Rafiq-Mashud re deikha Hablue jodi sumoti hoy

Antora
February 11, 2008, 02:33 AM
:( I really liked Pilot... i dont know why but he was a good player when he was actually in form. Well thats bye bye to another awesome BD player.!

why is everyone retiring this year? so far from BD its Rafique and Pilot.... and next it shall be habibul (inshallah)

mshakir56
February 11, 2008, 02:43 AM
Rafique called it quits, then Mashud followed suits, then Bashar should give it a go !

mshakir56
February 11, 2008, 02:45 AM
Its always a good thing to quit, when you still have respect and when you are still in form. If you quit when its too late and you are performing bad, then you loose the support of your fans !

abu2abu
February 11, 2008, 06:38 AM
Couldn't agree more with RazabQ's comments.

Pilot is a fine keeper and may well be a great guy with a great personality and amazing drive..etc etc However, he is and always has been a below par batsman. He's played in almost every match BD have been involved in since getting test status (and before Mushy came onto the scene) and yet has only one century to his name.

He had a purple patch where he scored well against the windies, but other than that he's generally been poor. we now have a promising young keeper, who's probably not as good with the gloves (but can surely get better over time) but is an exceptional batsman. rather than give in to sentimentality to give pilot a final swansong, the selectors should keep faith with mushy.

If he fails again, as Razab has said, Pilot should be considred, but so too should Dhiman gosh and Saghir Hossain...

al-Sagar
February 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
mashud is a better player when team is under pressure. he can fight for the team under pressure. but when the team is not under pressure he sometime calls prssure by his slow starts.

mushfiq is not that good under pressure. but when no pressure he can be a lot useful than pilot.

finally pilot is very experienced where mushfik is very young. mushfik has alot to learn. u can keep him out for two years and then bring him back and he can still have a 12 year career. so there will be lot more chances for mushfik to grab his place.

so lets give mushfik a rest in the ODI's and let pilot play and retire.

Tigers_eye
February 11, 2008, 09:23 AM
...There's just no room for sentimentality when it comes to picking a side for a an international match at the highest level. ....
What are you talking about Razab Bhai? Bangali ar sentimental na? You are too long out of the country.

On the topic, Hats off to Pilot for serving us for so long. Good luck against Opi Karim. Make sure you have regular camps in Rajshahi for the young ones from here on.

al Furqaan
February 11, 2008, 09:59 AM
There is very little to differentoiate between Mushfiq and Mashud on the sheer evidence of what we have seen so far - both in terms of keeping abilities as well as the batting.

Actually, Mashud might have an edge in both of them.

If he wants to retire honorably, it is like Bangladesh are losing an option that on it's face value is as good as the current option but with a big difference - he has served the team for many years.

It is not as if playing him is gonna weaken the team - atleast not on the face value.

He deserves an honorable goodbye. Anything less would be disrespectful.

this is true, but the crucial difference is that Rahim has all the potential in the world. his 80 against the likes of Murali, Vaas, Malinga, and Fernando was sheer class and most importantly was far superior to anything Mashud has put up. KM's 103* against west indies was great, no doubt. but pummeling edwards, bravo, and collymore isn't exactly like the SL bowling juggernauts.

and with 12+ years of his career left, Rahim will have even bigger and better things. plus his keeping is quite sprightly.

you could argue that at the highest level potential takes a back seat to actual performance. that is correct, but not the formula bangladesh has followed till date. otherwise ashraful would not be in our team, neither would tamim, aftab, or rajib. we would never have beaten australia at cardiff or the saffers in the world cup. our team would be full of tushar imrans and ehsanul haques.

mshakir56
February 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
As of right now, Mashud can't say I am a better Wicket keeper batsman then Mushfiq, nor Can Mushfiq say I am the best ! They are both not producing the goods ! Flashes of briliance here and there isn't healthy at all ! We need more wicket keeper batsmans to perform well and pressurise their senior couner parts and only that way we will get a Gilchrist, Sangakara, or Dhoni in the future ! Dhiman Gosh is one and the other one might Mithun Ali who is having a great time with the U-19 team right now ! Both are explosive Wicketkeeper batsman. Mithun has a long way to go, but Dhiman is knocking at the door I guess, since Mashud decided to retire. Dhiman is the second choice keeper now. I had high hopes for Sagir Hossain Pavel, but he dissapointed me in the domestic competition this year.

DJ Sahastra
February 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
this is true, but the crucial difference is that Rahim has all the potential in the world. his 80 against the likes of Murali, Vaas, Malinga, and Fernando was sheer class and most importantly was far superior to anything Mashud has put up. KM's 103* against west indies was great, no doubt. but pummeling edwards, bravo, and collymore isn't exactly like the SL bowling juggernauts.

and with 12+ years of his career left, Rahim will have even bigger and better things. plus his keeping is quite sprightly.

you could argue that at the highest level potential takes a back seat to actual performance. that is correct, but not the formula bangladesh has followed till date. otherwise ashraful would not be in our team, neither would tamim, aftab, or rajib. we would never have beaten australia at cardiff or the saffers in the world cup. our team would be full of tushar imrans and ehsanul haques.

Those arguments are very valid if we were discussing who should keep wickets for the BD national team.

Here, the discussion is on whether KM can be allowed one final swansong. And i don't see how any or all of the argument for Mushfiq justifies him being denied that.

Mushfiq (or any other youngster) is the way forward. KM deserves a final goodbye (ODI or Test don't matter). That's my stand.

Fazal
February 11, 2008, 03:06 PM
I don't have any problem giving KM a fianl good bye game (or two). Its not that we are playing very competative games now a days. Plus the difference between Mushfiq and Pilot's performace is nat that much (now a days). So its not that we are taking too much risk in the game. Moreover one game off for Mushfiq may help him more regaining his form back.

akabir77
February 11, 2008, 03:38 PM
The SIX that made our dream true. Thank you Pilot. And he deserves a last game.

nasimul
February 11, 2008, 04:18 PM
The SIX that made our dream true.

And start of a new era of bd cricket..

zahid
February 11, 2008, 05:59 PM
Pilot had the ability to hold the Team's innings together and survive out there. He also regularly stopped Domino effect !

Murad
February 11, 2008, 06:55 PM
One thing I don't understand.

Selectors dropped him because of his off form but he made a lot of runs in NCL but still he's not getting any chances. They are/were bunch of liars. They are afraid of saying the truths.

Mushfique is not doing any good either. If Mushfique was in from, we wouldnt want Pilot in the team anyway.

Now I guess it will not make any difference if we play Pilot or Mushy. Both are same craps.

Its good that Pilot is retiring. He's not gonna get any chances to play in the future so its better to retire. Hope he starts working as a coach.

We need a good wicket keeper batsman for our National TEam. Mushy is not doing any good. He was good against Zimbabwe. Other than DHiman, I don't see anyone else to compete with Mushy.

Dhiman is a better batsman than Rahim (Probably in OD).

Omio
February 11, 2008, 07:43 PM
Piolot should get a last chance. He deserve that.

BangladeshFan
February 11, 2008, 07:46 PM
at the moment i dont think there is much difference between playing pilot or mushfiq ............. or maybe it is, Bd pitches are very different than Nz pitches. on a spinning track Bd can prove to be a hard nut for SA.

Zobair
February 11, 2008, 07:53 PM
Make the 2nd test Pilot's Testemonial match. Invite him to the ground, and let him field as "twelveth" man for a period in the match.

One World
February 11, 2008, 10:16 PM
WTG, muradnyc. To the point as well.

Whatever it is with the selectors, personally I think KM made the right decision. There must be some block politics internally which does not allowed the top performers specially KM and Rafique to get a place for NZ tour.

mshakir56
February 12, 2008, 12:29 AM
Maybe Khaled Mashud realised that after performing really well in domestic cricket, he still isn't getting a chance in the main XI, he realised thats game over for him. I feel sorry for him.