PDA

View Full Version : South Africa finally declares squad for the Bangladesh tour

Miraz
February 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
The Proteas squad for the tour of Bangladesh was finally announced on Monday, and there was no room for batsman Herschelle Gibbs or bowler Mondi Zondeki. Cricket SA president Norman Arendse's veto of the initial squad seems to have centred around those two players, so coach Mickey Arthur may have won this battle.
The two-test series starts on February 22, with the three ODIs on the 9, 12 and 14th of March.
SQUAD:
Graeme Smith (capt), Ashwell Prince (vice-capt), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Neil McKenzie, Morne Morkel, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn.

Link (http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket/article.aspx?id=243979&headline=No%20Gibbs%20for%20Bangladesh%20tour)

Miraz
February 11, 2008, 09:38 AM
Looks like a full strength team. Both Smith and Kallis are included in the touring party.

Tigers_eye
February 11, 2008, 09:42 AM
Looks like a full strength team. Both Smith and Kallis are included in the touring party.
Why is he touring???? :hairpull:
We could have won a test had he not been in the lineup. Can someone give him some stadium-side chotpotti before the game. Local hospitality boilay kotha. Not the spicy kind. Just regular with the one year old tetul'r pani. If not Futchka would do. If that can't be found then how about some Chanachur + jhal muri + Tomato + piaz-morich + shorihar tel and Amra.

Mohiul
February 11, 2008, 09:43 AM
that means they are sending full team. I'm looking forward to see how they struggle against our LA slow bowlers but very disappointed with our batters' recent shows in practice matches. the latest disappointing show is here (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=619263&postcount=33)which is today's practice match performance.

al Furqaan
February 11, 2008, 09:47 AM
Allah heard my prayers for Saffers to show due respect and send a full strenght squad.

Mijan bhai, just be thankfull Pollock isn't there.

Now part 2 of the wish, our team beats this saffer bunch in a test.

abu2abu
February 11, 2008, 10:06 AM
I think our boys would have preferred pollock to dale steyn!

In the tests Amla could be a handful too. However, I still think there's a chance BD could pull off some sort of upset. Perhaps at Chittagong. Don't know why, but it's a good a place as any....

lamisa
February 11, 2008, 11:19 AM
uuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhh full team!!!!!!:hairpull::hairpull:

mshakir56
February 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
Its seems like a really strong team to me ! Gibbs is a good one day player, and he is not picked !

Rabz
February 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'd rather play a full strength SA side.
Its much better to beat them that way ( if we can).

Tigers_eye
February 11, 2008, 11:50 AM
I think our boys would have preferred pollock to dale steyn!

In the tests Amla could be a handful too. However, I still think there's a chance BD could pull off some sort of upset. Perhaps at Chittagong. Don't know why, but it's a good a place as any....
Chittagong is a flat track. Winning the toss and batting first is crucial. A draw can be possible here.

Ajfar
February 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
either way...we r still gonna get whuppedd...

mshakir56
February 11, 2008, 12:48 PM
Chittagong is a flat track. Winning the toss and batting first is crucial. A draw can be possible here.

That way by day two the wicket will turn a bit more and our spinners could have a go at the Saffers !

Roni_uk
February 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
bloody hell.. not taking any chances huh?

I guess its good to lose against the full team than a cut short version of it.

nasimul
February 11, 2008, 01:23 PM
What is better:
A defeat against full streangth SA team in 2½ - 3 days or a defeat against half streangth of SA team in 3 - 3½ days?

Tigers_eye
February 11, 2008, 01:35 PM
What is better:...
To you and my surprise there will be other options come game day!!

Dhakablues
February 11, 2008, 01:55 PM
I dont think the games are going to be that onesided this time. Given the pitch will be prepared to assist Rafique/Enamul and the fact that Siddons got more time to work on his players.. chances are game can be extended to the 4th day or even better. NZ was a tough tour but playing at home condition will give the players a reason to beleive that they can repeat history. This is the final series for Bashar/Rafique,,, they will renew their energy to end their career on high notes. Just my feel.

Kabir
February 11, 2008, 02:12 PM
Smith just proved himself to be a big mouth. If he can't talk crap, he really shouldn't.

Regardless though, our boys haven't left anything for us to cheer for. They even lost against the wilte NZ folks so badly.

AsifTheManRahman
February 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
Joy to the women of Chittagong! They sure have pulled a Kapali here...

kalpurush
February 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
Smith just proved himself to be a big mouth. If he can't talk crap, he really shouldn't.

Regardless though, our boys haven't left anything for us to cheer for. They even lost against the wilte NZ folks so badly.
Imran Bhai...welcome back!:-D

kalpurush
February 11, 2008, 03:47 PM
I am glad that Gibbs is not in the squad. He plays spin way better than other...

nzfan
February 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
watch out for jp duminy, exciting prospect for RSA

Tigers_eye
February 11, 2008, 04:05 PM
watch out for jp duminy, exciting prospect for RSA
;) I looking forward to having dumpling for dinner. Home cooking is so much better than restaurants. ;)

Fazal
February 11, 2008, 04:06 PM
;) I looking forward to having dumpling for dinner. Home cooking is so much better than restaurants. ;)

Make sure its not pork.

Tigers_eye
February 11, 2008, 04:11 PM
Make sure its not pork.
No, it is human.

Omio
February 11, 2008, 07:49 PM
Why Kallis in the team, he should get rest.

al-Sagar
February 11, 2008, 08:20 PM
its the strongest team.

and some key players will get injured before the INDIA series while playing against BD.

then he SA boar will realize they should have not picked some of the key players

kalpurush
February 12, 2008, 12:42 AM
Why Kallis in the team, he should get rest.
[বাংলা]মিজান ভাই'র আমন্ত্রনে ফুচকা খেতে বাংলাদেশে আসছে...:D[/বাংলা]

mshakir56
February 12, 2008, 03:09 AM
I am glad that Gibbs is not in the squad. He plays spin way better than other...

I thought Kallis playes spin way better then others ! Did you see how demolished the Pakistani spin attack in the last tourn of Pakistan ?

BD-Shardul
February 12, 2008, 04:14 AM
[বাংলা]মিজান ভাই'র আমন্ত্রনে ফুচকা খেতে বাংলাদেশে আসছে...:D[/বাংলা]

Fuchka alias run :(:hairpull::sick:

tiger_army
February 12, 2008, 04:36 AM
"Morne Morkel, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn"
We shud watch them out. I lik the BD strategy abt the pitch which is too slow for the BD bowlers but the ball wil come to bat after pitching nicely from these fast SAF bowlers..LOL

Eshen
February 12, 2008, 07:53 AM
Any idea who will be Smith's opening partner ? McKenzie or de Villiers ?

Game On
February 12, 2008, 08:17 AM
Any idea who will be Smith's opening partner ? McKenzie or de Villiers ?

It could be Mckenzie caz he's not in the biggest form but when anyone plays against Bangladesh then they just come back in form :)

al-Sagar
February 12, 2008, 09:05 AM
whoever open will have a tough job against mashrafe shahadat and rasel

Eshen
February 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
whoever open will have a tough job against mashrafe shahadat and rasel
You meant to say Mashrafe and Shahadat will struggle against whoever from SA opens ?

I doubt our pacers will be able to do much on dead tracks of Mirpur and Chittagong. Also, I don't think the management will take more than two pacers in the team, I see no place for Rasel.

ialbd
February 12, 2008, 09:12 AM
I am glad that SA is sending their full strength squad (except Gibbs maybe), and this is good for us. Triumph over a weak SA side in slow/dead tracks proves nothing internationally......

Game On
February 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
You meant to say Mashrafe and Shahadat will struggle against whoever from SA opens ?

I doubt our pacers will be able to do much on dead tracks of Mirpur and Chittagong. Also, I don't think the management will take more than two pacers in the team, I see no place for Rasel.

Rasel should sit out the test matches ;

Sovik
February 12, 2008, 05:29 PM
since pollock is not in the team, we will be able to score 20+ more runs in odi if we can bat full 50 overs

nahaz
February 12, 2008, 08:02 PM
I predict a duration of 7 days for the 3 test matches...coz neither team will bat that well....Bd can't even bat against their own FC bowlers...and SA (hopefully) will struggle against spin.

And if Smith says sth stupid to get Mashrafee angry , he might do sth as well...

ok I'm being too optimistic here...

kalpurush
February 13, 2008, 01:02 AM
I thought Kallis playes spin way better then others ! Did you see how demolished the Pakistani spin attack in the last tourn of Pakistan ?
Yes. he does, also.:)

kalpurush
February 13, 2008, 01:06 AM
ok I'm being too optimistic here...
You should be sent to jail...!;)

kalpurush
February 13, 2008, 01:08 AM
It could be Mckenzie caz he's not in the biggest form but when anyone plays against Bangladesh then they just come back in form :)
It would be De Villiers...I believe.:)

kalpurush
February 13, 2008, 01:11 AM
I predict a duration of 7 days for the 3 test matches...
I thought Tigers are going to play 2 Tests!

Miraz
February 13, 2008, 09:20 AM
Paul Harris isn't coming, he showed some excellent performances against Pakistan..

South Africa have been forced to make a late change to the squad for their tour of Bangladesh. Left-arm spinner Paul Harris will miss the trip after undergoing surgery on an abscess, so he has been replaced by Robin Peterson, 28.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7242932.stm)

Tigers_eye
February 13, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hope PH recovers from the surgery (more good news for BD batsmen one less tormentor).

Sovik
February 13, 2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/86800/86875.jpg

Rifat
February 13, 2008, 02:39 PM
Why is he touring???? :hairpull:
We could have won a test had he not been in the lineup. Can someone give him some stadium-side chotpotti before the game. Local hospitality boilay kotha. Not the spicy kind. Just regular with the one year old tetul'r pani. If not Futchka would do. If that can't be found then how about some Chanachur + jhal muri + Tomato + piaz-morich + shorihar tel and Amra.

in order to beat the best, first become the best, is Bangladesh the best?

cricket_fanatic
February 14, 2008, 03:36 AM
Has anyone noticed that the top run scorers from the last South Africa side to tour BD in 2003, Jack Rudolph and Boeta Dippenaar, are no longer in the team? Dippenaar has retired quite young while Rudolph is playing in England as a Kolpak player. I guess we are not the only ones who don't nurture young players very well!