PDA

View Full Version : No wonder why our team succeeds once in a while

sharifk
February 14, 2008, 12:55 PM
Ashraful and co. may have been failing most of the times for many reasons, but this one thing surely doesn’t help is always setting up a target for a whole series pre-maturely and unprofessionally. We all know the psychological impacts in sports, and many have argued it’s a 50% contributing factor as far as performance is concerned. Therefore, ignoring the psychological effect is like ignoring the 50% of the performance. Since setting up expectations from a series or match has psychological impacts to the players and the team, incorrect expectation management has significant impact to the outcome. Siddons may have been correctly focusing on technical skills and batting issues, but I haven’t seen much improvement in the way the team captains have been communicating of their expectations. By no means, this thread is to bash Siddons or Ashraful as both have been the best of things that have so far happened to BD cricket. The problem needs to be addressed nonetheless.

This Bangladesherkhela article mentions of Ashraful’s expectations, from the SA series:

http://www.bangladesherkhela.info/index.php?newsID=4876&pageTitle=details&editionID=268

He hopes to get one century from two tests and win anyone of the 3 ODIs. So what will happen in case he gets his century (I hope he does) in the first inning of the first test? Is he done for the series, or can he play freely regardless of the match situation in remaining of the match/series? What about the ODIs? Do we care which one we win? So what if we don’t win the first one since we still will have two more left? You see where I am going with it. Why don’t we look back for some examples? In both (ODI and Twenty20) of the WCs in 2007, our target was super eight by defeating one of the major teams in each tourney. And we did. But what happened once we achieved our targets? We were still happy that we lost so many matches playing poorly because we had met our targets already. Don’t get me wrong that I am suggesting that we would be the champ if we had targeted it. But what I am saying is that we lack taking one game at a time approach like all the professionals take. I will have no problem if we lose all after targeting one game at a time and try to win each instead of targeting one in many. Otherwise, we will always have to wait long from one Eid day to another. Again as I have already said that this may not be the only reason we don't succeed but we must look into every problem that we need to overcome.

Game On
February 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
Doesn't make sense ;

We don't make the batting pitches & our batting fails ;

If we start to make batting pitches for the test matches then we will get some draws atleast ;

Rabz
February 14, 2008, 01:31 PM
Too much talking, i wanna see them matching it on the field.
Period.

sharifk
February 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
Too much talking
Period.

Of course that too. ..not to mention always promising specifics without delivering much..

Bengaliprince176
February 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
psychologically its hard for a team, who get beaten 90% of the time, to have a long term plan. u cant just say we will win as many matches as we can....thats no good, Bangladesh's problem is a mental thing, and that they are develepod not fully to a winning unit constantly. I dont think the frame mind of " lets win the odd game on this tour" is a very good one. but then again, all they can reli do is practise hard and play, they know they can win and cause upsets, but doing it constantly is proving dificult for the time being.

sharifk
February 14, 2008, 03:01 PM
psychologically its hard for a team, who get beaten 90% of the time, to have a long term plan. u cant just say we will win as many matches as we can....thats no good, Bangladesh's problem is a mental thing, and that they are develepod not fully to a winning unit constantly. I dont think the frame mind of " lets win the odd game on this tour" is a very good one. but then again, all they can reli do is practise hard and play, they know they can win and cause upsets, but doing it constantly is proving dificult for the time being.

Yes, it's hard. But long term plan is still needed. You are also right that BD's problem is a mental thing and when the captain speaks like that it gives wrong message to the team members. A team like ours should speak as less as possible, and when one speaks he must be careful of not giving wrong message to the team members as well as to the fans. Plus when you can't win games speaking of the whole series only takes away the attention from individual games and sessions and so on that are very important to fighting/playing hard.

Ishtylish cricketer
February 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
I see nothing wrong with expectations from players. Good teams all have expectations. Normally, expectations of a team for top 4 batsmen are 1000 runs in ODIs and in tests and 50-60 wickets in tests and in ODIs for strike bowlers in a calender year. We need to have such standards to head in the right direction.

al Furqaan
February 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
for right now we need to stop with these "small" targets. for the world cup it was OK, "beat india, get into super 8". it was good that we achieved it, but thats been the only time we've achieved a pre-determined goal.

right now, we need stop with the concrete goals. our goals should be to forget what happened in the past and what will/might happen in the future. we should play just for the present. forget about scoring centuries or what else.

ash will have around 7 innings this series. if he scores 123, 24, 9, 31, 0, 15, 13 i won't be as happy as if he *fails* to achieve his *goal* and instead winds up with 76, 58, 87, 35, 12, 68, 44.

we need as a team and as individuals to forget about records and just play cricket. the centuries, 5ers, etc will come automatically.

djnaved
February 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
btw,one question:

who got the power to select the team?

is it siddons or the selectors?

we know that javed omar and masud(though as a reserve player) is not in the team, but they should get atleast one chance in the test team. Selectors said that we are making teams in preparation for WC2011,that's why we have to look for young players but do we play test match world cup?

second, still batsman can't get runs on their homeground, even in a practice match, so when they face SA bowlers, guess what happens.

siddons said that i'm gonna pick players who got skills, but i would say he will pick players who has a match tempermant, we don't need skills. When you are having hard time on the pitch, take singles, when u r a set batsman, play aggressive shots, when you are playing test match, wait for bad balls.

Look at kumble/pathan/harbhajan/johnson/Sami/Vaas.. they don't have skills in batting,but they know what they have to do

kalpurush
February 14, 2008, 11:05 PM
[বাংলা]অভিযোগ, অভিযোগ, আর অভিযোগ!
মনটা খারাপ করে দিচ্ছে আগেই!!
কোথায় শুভ-কামনা করবে, তানা...
আর মুখ :( নয়,
শুধুই :)এখন থেকে...
তানা হলে আন্দলনে যাওয়া ছারা আর বিকল্প থাকবে না যে।[/বাংলা]

One World
February 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
Its the lack of professionalism - youth in BD does not reach the maturity level to think above emotional outburst to reality unless reaching the age level of at least end 20's. It needs a built workmanship to avoid a sudden temptation to baloon a shot or use the bat as a commander to coast and guide your team to a dream home. Technically no BD batsman is more incapable than Gillespi and assuming BD bowlers as top class, if he can hit a double not out any BD batsman should do close regularly.

sharifk
February 15, 2008, 09:39 AM

As I have already stated, this thread is not to bash anyone, but we must identify and discuss about the issues that have performance impacts. Perhaps nobody in our team has identified this as an issue, but I can clearly see it as one of the issues for not performing consistently. There are many factors to performing well on a constant basis, and unless we address them all, we will continue to struggle. Nobody can argue that the way a team captain communicates, and sets up targets and expectations has direct impact on the team’s performance. If a team captain communicates to the team that the target is to win odd games or target a century in a series, it will have very negative effect on the team’s performance. I believe our team has the talents to challenge big teams in such that if they can play the way the played against India in the WC, they can win against any big team most of the time. The question is how the captain and the coach can motivate the team to perform as a unit like that every day in every session in every match. We need to go back and analyze the things that happened that day or the day before. May be everybody was determined to win for Manjural Islam Rana or something else, but everybody wanted to win. The captain and the coach need to communicate such that every team member is motivated like that for every game. Don’t tell me that we need to have someone dear to the team die before every game for this! With our team’s current performance, even if it’s difficult to target winning every match against big teams, it’s the captain’s job to demand and motivate every team member to give his best for each session. So forget about looking at the whole game let alone a series, and please just focus on a session by session, over by over or better yet ball by ball approach and give your best shot and target the highest.

paco
February 15, 2008, 11:57 AM

Kalpurush brother - wonderful post - please andolon do, we are is your behind.

mshakir56
February 15, 2008, 12:43 PM
Stick with Siddons long term vision , and we are sure to succede !

kalpurush
February 15, 2008, 09:57 PM
Kalpurush brother - wonderful post - please andolon do, we are is your behind.
It's great to have the support of a veteran like you. My gratitude.:)

kalpurush
February 15, 2008, 09:58 PM
Stick with Siddons long term vision , and we are sure to succede !
That's what we should do.:up:

Ishtylish cricketer
February 17, 2008, 08:24 PM
We need to stop playing in two modes. Defence and attack. We need a 3rd gear somewhere. Our players goal should be to pick up as many singles as possible. Tire them out a little. I am wondering whether or not Morkel would play in test series. Bowlers who I think may play barring injuries are Steyn, Ntini, Langlevelt and Harris. On paper it doesn't seem very scary. I want a decent total in the first inning.

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 03:13 PM
It's great to have the support of a veteran like you. My gratitude.:)

I didn't realize it matters that much. I guess my support wouldn't mean anything anyway since I am not a veteran in BC, but I must say it again, it wasn't a complain in my part.

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 03:19 PM
We need to stop playing in two modes. Defence and attack. We need a 3rd gear somewhere. Our players goal should be to pick up as many singles as possible. Tire them out a little. I am wondering whether or not Morkel would play in test series. Bowlers who I think may play barring injuries are Steyn, Ntini, Langlevelt and Harris. On paper it doesn't seem very scary. I want a decent total in the first inning.

This is a good point, and it, which I think Siddons is working on already, needs to be addressed as well, but I am talking about a different issue altogether. It's more like a state of mind which expects as well as accepts occasional success.