PDA

View Full Version : BC bulletin : Shakib to lead BCB XI against South Africa

Miraz
February 15, 2008, 09:46 AM
Current/Forthcoming Tours

South Africa in Bangladesh, 2007-08
Shakib to lead BCB XI against South Africa
15 February 2007
BCB has announced Shakib Al Hasan as the Captain of the BCB XI which will face the touring South Africa team in the 3 day warm up match, young wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim is chosen as his deputy. The match starts on Sunday, 17 February 2008, at Narayanganj Osmani Stadium, Fatullah.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/images/read_art.gif Read the rest of the bulletin » (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../tours/2007_2008/INT/SA_IN_BD/tour.php)

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
A lot of work needs to be done by
Aftab, Rajin, Forhad Reza, Mushfiq.

Whats up with HB? In crucial practice right before the selection of best 11, he is getting injured some how. Same thing happened before the NZ series and he missed a crucial round in NCL. With no practice match one should not make the team unless he is the captain or main strike bowler.

zainab
February 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
Seems that SA has their full team. Hope that Sakib does very well here. Will love to see him in the wickets and runs. are they trying to groom him to become the National captain eventually? Maybe by the time he is 25 yrs old.

akabir77
February 15, 2008, 11:11 AM
o come on! Rajin and SN is in the team and they made Sakib the captain for a 3 day game? This a very bad decision from BCB. Why because he is from BKSP? Rajin and SN r both captains of two NCL team. They also captain their club teams. and what back ground does sakib got on captaincy? He wasn't even u19 team captain.

They r showing 2 much disrespect to the older guys...

akabir77
February 15, 2008, 11:13 AM
A lot of work needs to be done by
Aftab, Rajin, Forhad Reza, Mushfiq.

Whats up with HB? In crucial practice right before the selection of best 11, he is getting injured some how. Same thing happened before the NZ series and he missed a crucial round in NCL. With no practice match one should not make the team unless he is the captain or main strike bowler.

Bhai jaan oi din dekhlam HAba rey gali dilen ran korey nai bhaiba (the day sakib made 80) asholey to o khelai nai...

Both time phisio bolse na kheltey so HaBa ki korbey?

Naki apney bhabtasen icha koira injured hoy shey?:notworthy:

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2008, 11:30 AM
Naki apney bhabtasen icha koira injured hoy shey?:notworthy:
Nope, did not say or insist anything like that. Physio must say and do what he thinks is best for the player.

Selectors must do what is best for the team. That is by not sending some one without match practice, specially if he is out of form.

Siddons is grooming Shakib. Only performers can hold respected positions. That is the best way to motivate players. Senior-junior issue'i team'ta ray noshto koray disay. Rajin and SN must perform to demand any such posts. SN will get back his VC position once he gets back in to runs.

akabir77
February 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
Nope, did not say or insist anything like that. Physio must say and do what he thinks is best for the player.

Selectors must do what is best for the team. That is by not sending some one without match practice, specially if he is out of form.

Siddons is grooming Shakib. Only performers can hold respected positions. That is the best way to motivate players. Senior-junior issue'i team'ta ray noshto koray disay. Rajin and SN must perform to demand any such posts. SN will get back his VC position once he gets back in to runs.

He he jantan ai ta bolben about HaBa

On sakib issue if siddons did it than i have no objection as he will not be partial but i have a feeling that this was done by our selectors X BKSP player... Hope i am wrong.

Senior junior nai dekhai to aftab giya out hoiya ashey, mushi zero or por zero marey r bhabey who cares we r the golden boys...

sharifk
February 15, 2008, 11:51 AM
He he jantan ai ta bolben about HaBa

On sakib issue if siddons did it than i have no objection as he will not be partial but i have a feeling that this was done by our selectors X BKSP player... Hope i am wrong.

Senior junior nai dekhai to aftab giya out hoiya ashey, mushi zero or por zero marey r bhabey who cares we r the golden boys...

Senior-junior may not be much of an issue in places like Australia and UK but it's a tricky one in our culture. I am sure Siddons is aware of such issue, and if not he must be informed so the issue can be addressed properly (since it can be handled with making proper tools available). Whether any issue exists or not can't be judged from outside the team circle unless we know of something specifics, so we shouldn't just assume something and make issue out of nothing. I think the decision to groom Shakib is a good one.

akabir77
February 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
Senior-junior may not be much of an issue in places like Australia and UK but it's a tricky one in our culture. I am sure Siddons is aware of such issue, and if not he must be informed so the issue can be addressed properly (since it can be handled with making proper tools available). Whether any issue exists or not can't be judged from outside the team circle unless we know of something specifics, so we shouldn't just assume something and make issue out of nothing. I think the decision to groom Shakib is a good one.

Since its in our culture that's why i assumed it and i know for sure it was there even the last captains time so no need to think the culture has changed in 1 year.

So how many captains do we need to groom? I am scared that like last captains sakib will lose his position to the selectors when there is another one in the line.

what happen to grooming rajin and SN? they r still in the team and since they r playing why not put the pressure on them and let sakib play his natural game.

I am not saying sakib is captain material but i am saying its too early and may ruin him just like his rajin and SN...

Ajfar
February 15, 2008, 12:13 PM
wat noww..they trying to screw up sakib...
if i was rajin or shahriar nafees..i'd be soo pissedd...

Dhakablues
February 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
It very well could be that the selectors or Ashraful named Sakib as the captain as he doesnt have any baggages and has been a consistent perfomer. We are giving Siddons too much credit for deciding everythign,, I dont think we know that he is deciding every single thing that goes into the team.. Other than Sakib, none in the practice XI has anything great to their credentials. Also, I think him captaining the C group, where he did pretty good also played a role..

sharifk
February 15, 2008, 12:23 PM
Since its in our culture that's why i assumed it and i know for sure it was there even the last captains time so no need to think the culture has changed in 1 year.

So how many captains do we need to groom? I am scared that like last captains sakib will lose his position to the selectors when there is another one in the line.

what happen to grooming rajin and SN? they r still in the team and since they r playing why not put the pressure on them and let sakib play his natural game.

I am not saying sakib is captain material but i am saying its too early and may ruin him just like his rajin and SN...

When we bring in a new coach or management, we must be open and respect to change because we must allow the new system to work. We also have to remember we are rebuilding/building side, so we can try out many things in the process of building. We must trust our new coach and give him a fair chance, so we shouldn’t just assume things and criticize unless we have solid evidence of something he is doing that can harm.

Now, I think grooming Shakib is a good idea because he is young and he is one the performer in the team unlike many others. As a genuine all-rounder, his place in the team is more concrete than SN or Saleh. Plus it’s not a bad idea to groom multiple players as it can always be handy in a team environment since enhancement has proven performance benefits if applied correctly.

Tigers_eye
February 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
It very well could be that the selectors or Ashraful named Sakib as the captain as he doesnt have any baggages and has been a consistent perfomer. We are giving Siddons too much credit for deciding everythign,, I dont think we know that he is deciding every single thing that goes into the team.. Other than Sakib, none in the practice XI has anything great to their credentials.
Correct, we are giving the coach too much credit but that has a basis. He himself will be the coach of this team in the practice match. Obviously he would want a performer (relative sense) than a non-performer to be the captain. May be the selectors did assign Shakib as a captain but definitely Siddons had input in it also. Shakib was also the captain of the C team where KMashud (ex-c) was present. The senior didn't get a chance. Nor did Rajin or SN. That tells me Shakib is in grooming stage.

In Bd team previously in many instances we had captains because of his seniority who were non-performer. That is a killer. This culture must change.

May be too much pressure is being put on Shakib's young shoulders but I would back the selectors/coach when it comes to select a performing captain.

akabir77
February 15, 2008, 12:28 PM
yeah i agree on paper this things look very good but on the field its a different story and all these pressure might break sakib as it broke him when they introduced him too early in TEST.

My concern is not on who got the captaincy but on the form of sakib. I don't want to break him, as you all have agreed, one of the very few that can perform Constantly in the team.

mshakir56
February 15, 2008, 12:33 PM
Looking at the practice team it seems almost like our national team accept for Ashraful, Mashrafee and Shahadat.

FagunerAgun
February 15, 2008, 12:41 PM

Well stated, bud.

Rabz
February 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
See, i dont think Ash was the first automatic choice when he was made the captain of the team. First it was Bashar himself with his loss of form. He could not ensure himself to be regular in both forms of the game.

SN was grooming to be the next captain, till his own bad luck started. Especially when a time the selectors were looking for a new captain, he form was at his lowest. He could not even get a place during the world cup.

Mash, even though he might be a captain material ( since he is the vc and leads few warm up teams), he is prone to injuries and the captains did not want to add extra pressure on him. A follow up of Andrew Flintoff case.

.....and there was Ash. A senior player in the team, who virtually is an automatic choice, almost irrespective of his form. Plus he is the one who played close to 100 ODI ( at that point)...and someone who, we wish, is going to be around for a long time.

I think thats why he was made the captain. Someone who could lead from the front, a superstar (almost) among the BD players and is being widely tipped as a one of the players to look out for.

Personally, i dont think he is matured enough to be the national captain of a team.
He still have some problem communicating with the media ( even in Bangla).
But thats something he would learn in time.

Regarding Sakib, i have no problem him leading a BCB XI.
We need to test all our options.

LateCut
February 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
I could not help but click on the link inside the CI report. It listed highest partnships of BD batsmen. Majority of these partnarships involved either Belim or Haba. In a few occasions both were invoved! Who will carry the mantle, now that Haba along with Pilot most likely will retire after the SA series? Among the active players I see Ashrafool on the list a few times. Ashrafool will have his few exceptional days (Eids). The list look very dismal if you take these away. Most disturbing fact is that there is a definite decline in the frequency of big innings as we are getting more "experienced". Most of the "records are old" excpet for the one involving Tamain and onse by Nafis.

Does somebody has a chronological plot of average innings score, run differentials, minutes batted, wicket taken per innings, strike rates, etc since we become a test nation? I bet there are constantant drop off in every measurable quantitiy. Are we getting worse?

Ajfar
February 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
i heard in the channel-I news..SA is not worried abt the slow pitch..n spin bowlingg

akabir77
February 15, 2008, 01:48 PM
i heard in the channel-I news..SA is not worried abt the slow pitch..n spin bowlingg
they shouldn't be. BD won the WC game cause they played all their before games on fast and hard pitch and all of a sudden they had to play on this slow pitch in guyana...

but now they r prepared... so

Dhakablues
February 15, 2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah,, why would SA fear anyways? Its not like they are facing Srilanka or India in a spinning pitch? Besides, we even have hard time beating Zimbabwe,, forget about beating SA that easily on Mirput pitch. SA are not dumb that they didnt practice for slow and turning pitch,, I mean Siddons is not the only clever coach out there.

Also, we must remember that it was Mcgill that killed us once and not the fast bowlers when we thought we will be good against spin. The fact is, we were always best against fast bowlers and never against spin, ironically. BD team will be wise to stick to basic cricket and let the game come to them and not to chase the game. Beating SA is a far fetched dream when we should be dreaming of lasting 4 days first!! harsh but true my freinds.

reyme
February 15, 2008, 04:08 PM
Sakib Captain! Very Good!
Where is soccer20reverse?

al Furqaan
February 15, 2008, 08:54 PM
its just a warm up match...captaining this is no big deal. good experience for sakib.

wiseshah
February 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
i think its a great idea to give some one chance. sakib is a potential candidate for future captaincy. he is an efective bowler and batsman and really cool and calm. i am sure, he will be a future of BD team in a long run.

One World
February 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
Shakib Al Hasan (Captain), Tamim Iqbal, Zunaed Siddique, Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, Nazim Uddin, Rajin Salah Alam, Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury, Mushfiqur Rahim (Vice Captain/Wicketkeeper), Enamul Haque Jr., Sajedul Islam, Talha Jubaer, Farhad Reza, Syed Rasel, Roqibul Hassan, Kazi Habibul Bashar

If Mushfik fails here, I dont know what to say.

zainab
February 16, 2008, 07:52 AM
If Mushy fails here, they only have Mashud on standby. Siddons has to start training another wicket keeper for the national side. Since Sangha (SL)gave up gloves in Test cricket, he has performed much better. They now have a very good keeper for Tests- Jayawardena who plays in their A team and domestic cricket.
I think Mushy was pushed too quickly into the national side. He was captain of the U19 team and did a good job. As usual, these young guys in their teens and early 20s are given national caps too quickly, but then I think BD has no other choice but to throw them int the lion's den and hope for the best.
I like Sakib, he looks as if he has a very good temperament. This is only a practice match, no real pressure for him here.

al-Sagar
February 16, 2008, 08:23 AM
why not the match in MIRPUR ????