PDA

View Full Version : Font embedding and bangla blogs

sraabon
February 18, 2008, 12:42 PM
Folks,

I am building a bangla blog based on unicode. All looks fine except that the pages are not viewable from certain computers. From the same computers, however, I can see the font and letters in somewherein and sachalayatan.

How is it possible? are they embedding fonts? I tried embedding it but does not seem to work.

Any idea on how to get a bangla wordpress blog up and view it without making any configuration changes?

Thanks in advance.

Nasif
February 18, 2008, 01:23 PM
Its all about setting the default font. Windows uses Vrinda for its default font, which is quite ugly and hard to read on screen.

Make sure you use style sheet to specify your bangla font. A simple style sheet like this is good enough:

.bangla {
font-family: SolaimanLipi, Rupali, "Times New Roman", Serif, Vrinda;
font-size: 13pt;
}

Rupali and SolaimanLipi is the best readable font out there, and thats why have those two only. Vrida is there as a last option if user doesn't have other fonts installed. English fonts are there for redering English fonts within Bangla area.

To use it just have your html tags use that class.
<p class="bangla"> have your bangla text here. </p>This is the technique used here in BC for [বাংলা]বাংলা[/বাংলা]

sraabon
February 20, 2008, 05:55 PM
Many thanks Nasif. I wonder what happens if the users do not have the two fonts. Is there a way to embed a font via stylesheet.

Thanks again.