PDA

View Full Version : Play with 3 openers to solve our current issue at #3

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 12:29 PM
Without much debate, we can say that one of the biggest problem in our test batting lineup is the absent of a solid # 3 batsman. With current form of Bashar, he makes it even worse case for this position. Even though he is probably bad for any position at the moment, if he must be in the team, he needs to play down in the order. And Ash hasn’t yet established himself as # 3 either. Until we find a good one down batsman (Raqibul may be a good option soon), we should experiment this position with a batsman, who will otherwise be an opener. I know there can be a debate especially since now we have two solid openers in the team, but when we face a team like SA that has a tall lineup of pacers, a third opener can be handy. In another situation when a 3-opener option may be a good one, I would have suggested to open with Zunaed and Tamim and send SN at #3, but with Tamim’s current injury situation, it may be a good idea to open with SN and Zunaed and send Tamim at #3 since Tamim hasn’t had any practice against the new ball. It's just a thought. Anyone has another idea to solve the problem with the # 3 spot?

bdchamp20
February 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
Just play Mushfiqur Rahim at no. 3

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 12:37 PM

That's actually a great idea as well. The problem is that in test though when you stand for long for keeping, it's difficult to bat up in the order. However, he can be a good option at # 4. In my opinion Mushy can be an excellent option at # 3 in ODIs unless we are chasing a large target.

Eshen
February 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
I totally agree with Sharif bhai. Only drawback of this idea is that we will be sending three lefties in a row. But given the current set of batsmen we have, this is the best possible solution for us at the point.

Mushfiq ? Don't think he is good option to be sent when Ntini, Steyn, and Morkel still have a fairly new ball in their hands.

bdchamp20
February 19, 2008, 12:43 PM
That's actually a great idea as well. The problem is that in test though when you stand for long for keeping, it's difficult to bat up in the order. However, he can be a good option at # 4. In my opinion Mushy can be an excellent option at # 3 in ODIs unless we are chasing a large target.
You are right, I still cant understand why Mushfiq wasnt sent out at no. 3 after the India match

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 12:44 PM
I totally agree with Sharif bhai. Only drawback of this idea is that we will be sending three lefties in a row. But given the current set of batsmen we have, this is the best possible solution for us at the point.

Mushfiq ? Don't think he is good option to be sent when Ntini, Steyn, and Morkel still have a fairly new ball in their hands.

Thanks Eshen Bhai.

I also agree with your point about Mushy against the fairly new ball.

Murad
February 19, 2008, 12:44 PM
I also like the idea.

SN should come in at no.3. I guess he will do fine at 3 rather than 5.

Mushfique never in his life played at position 3 except some matches against Zimb/India.

He used to come in at no.6 for the u-19 team and A-teams.

Plus Mushy is too too bad against the Fast bowlers.

Kabir
February 19, 2008, 12:55 PM
I really don't think Mushy is a #3 material. SN is an ideal choice. So there...the third opener :)

bdchamp20
February 19, 2008, 01:08 PM
the no. 3 in a line-up is a wall of a team. Legendary no. 3s: Lara, Dravid, Ponting. We need someone defensive to be no. 3 who comes in at the beginning of the tenth over or fifteenth over and can stay till the beginning of the slog overs(over 40) and he should be there to build partnerships with the players around him in the line-up, Bashar was a good no. 3 years ago...all these years we didnt have have a good no.3..we saw promise from players like Saleh but they proved not good enough but now I think we have two batsmen who can do the job adequately: Mushfiqur Rahim and Shahriar Nafees...I'd go for Mushfiq

sadi
February 19, 2008, 01:22 PM
As much as I like Mushfiq, I don't think he is quite ready for #3 just yet. His technique against genuine fast bowlers are a little suspectful due to his high backlift. He can play at #5 where we need someone with temperament to play a big innings.

al-Sagar
February 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
first lets get bashar retired.

then aftab or rajin should grab that spot

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 01:38 PM
the no. 3 in a line-up is a wall of a team. Legendary no. 3s: Lara, Dravid, Ponting. We need someone defensive to be no. 3 who comes in at the beginning of the tenth over or fifteenth over and can stay till the beginning of the slog overs(over 40) and he should be there to build partnerships with the players around him in the line-up, Bashar was a good no. 3 years ago...all these years we didnt have have a good no.3..we saw promise from players like Saleh but they proved not good enough but now I think we have two batsmen who can do the job adequately: Mushfiqur Rahim and Shahriar Nafees...I'd go for Mushfiq

bdchamp20, there need to be separate strategies for test, ODI and twenty20 as far as the positions are concerned.

Tigers_eye
February 19, 2008, 01:39 PM
Any idea that would keep Bashar in the sideline is a good idea to me. Please prove me wrong and take a retirement. I dare you. Double dare.

SN, Aftab, Rajin, Roqibul all are good choices.

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 01:43 PM
Any idea that would keep Bashar in the sideline is a good idea to me. Please prove me wrong and take a retirement. I dare you. Double dare.

SN, Aftab, Rajin, Roqibul all are good choices.

T_e, i guess the only way to keep Bashar out of the team is by analyzing the need of each position. This way, we will see he doesn't fit in for any position.

Sayeed Haque
February 19, 2008, 01:48 PM

Probably you are not talking about test match.

Dhurr
February 19, 2008, 01:53 PM
Why stop at 3? Play with 6 openers. Maybe even 9. Make sure they are all under the of 21. Jowan pola der matha gorom shot na dekhle public er bhat hojom hoi na.

mshakir56
February 19, 2008, 01:57 PM
Yup, let Tamim and Junaid open the innings and bring Nafees at no. 3 ! That will be the best combination !

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 01:59 PM
Why stop at 3? Play with 6 openers. Maybe even 9. Make sure they are all under the of 21. Jowan pola der matha gorom shot na dekhle public er bhat hojom hoi na.

it may not be a bad idea to go with 4 either in some cases. ..only if we find the appropriate situation and good openers...but may be imrul or sadat can fit in....but you sure don't seem to like the idea of of more than two...so lemme ask you this....you think bashar is a better choice than sn at the moment?

Dhurr
February 19, 2008, 02:04 PM
it may not be a bad idea to go with 4 either in some cases. ..only if we find the appropriate situation and good openers...but may be imrul or sadat can fit in....but you sure don't seem to like the idea of of more than two...so lemme ask you this....you think bashar is a better choice than sn at the moment?

I think Javed Omar, Rajin Saleh, Alok Kapali, Tushar Imran, Khaled Mashud, Khaled Mahmud, Khaled Mabud are all better choices than SN. Ar kisu?

sharifk
February 19, 2008, 02:20 PM
I think Javed Omar, Rajin Saleh, Alok Kapali, Tushar Imran, Khaled Mashud, Khaled Mahmud, Khaled Mabud are all better choices than SN. Ar kisu?

i am speechless...i guess we have no issue at 3 ....

Dhurr
February 19, 2008, 02:20 PM
Sharif mamu, speechless hoile eki kotha duibar bollen kemne? Hishab to millo na.

Gowza
February 19, 2008, 03:42 PM
ehsanul, nazimuddin, raqibul (in the future) would be good middle order choices for the #3 spot. gazi salahuddin and nafees would also be better than bashar imo, there are probably others i've forgotten but the point is there are lot's of players in BD right now who could do better at #3 than bashar is doing whether they're openers or middle order batsmen.

exotic
February 19, 2008, 03:54 PM
Why stop at 3? Play with 6 openers. Maybe even 9. .....

:-D.......I was just going to say that

Miraz
February 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
Bohudin pore .. Dhurr... :D

This is why I miss your presence ...:-D

Afterall a good laugh is good for health. :)

SS
February 19, 2008, 04:50 PM
are you implying playing with 3 openning bowlers at #3...i was not sure as #3 batsmen and #3 bowler score allmost same nowadays.

Shobha
February 19, 2008, 04:57 PM
are you implying playing with 3 openning bowlers at #3...i was not sure as #3 batsmen and #3 bowler score allmost same nowadays.

sad but true.
i really cant think of anyone better suited at no.3 than bashar himself actually. i think in the ireland tour, ash should experiment with different players at no.3 and see who's best for the position.

AsifTheManRahman
February 19, 2008, 05:17 PM

That's the only solution that makes sense atm.

Eshen
February 19, 2008, 05:28 PM
ehsanul, nazimuddin, raqibul (in the future) would be good middle order choices for the #3 spot.
I believe all the above mentioned three prefer to bat at #4 or lower, although they have experience playing as openers.

Gowza
February 19, 2008, 06:23 PM
I believe all the above mentioned three prefer to bat at #4 or lower, although they have experience playing as openers.

true but they'd still probably do a better job than bashar is currently doing at #3. i think nazimuddin is the most flexible out of those 3 though.

Mahir
February 19, 2008, 07:38 PM
As bdchamp20 so aptly mentioned, play Mushy at no.3, or else his batting will AGAIN be wasted once we're down and out at 90 something for 5.

Eshen
February 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
Considering Mushfiq's current form, I will prefer Bashar over him, if I have to choose one of those two for the #3 slot.

Gowza
February 19, 2008, 08:42 PM
i think rahim would be better at #5, 3 is too high, 7 is too low. but if you think rahim is being wasted i reckon shakib is being wasted even more, he's in good form but he's batting at about 8.

i'd prefer any of these players at 3 before rahim tbh: ashraful, bashar, saleh, aftab, nafees.

BD Tigers
February 19, 2008, 08:58 PM
I like the idea of having SN or TI in 1st down. No way Mushi. He shudn't be in team and its not only for his batting. His keeping is a BIG headache. Anyway the problem of having 3 lefhanders against bowlers like Ntini, Steyn, Nell might cause some problems as they all bowl short of length, wide of crease in an angle which is very difficult to play for lefties. A player who can actually pull or hook might play these bowlers better. Bashar cud have been the best choice if he was in from. Thus the dilemma.

Mahir
February 19, 2008, 09:25 PM
Considering Mushfiq's current form, I will prefer Bashar over him, if I have to choose one of those two for the #3 slot.

Its reasonnable to argue that a player isn't necessarily bumped up to the highest level with the highest standard inorder to get back to form, but playing at his ideal position can help to regain that form as well.

Bashar is a gone case. Why getting back to him ? Suggesting SN or Nazimuddin or even Roqibul would be more feasible, in my opinions.

Protic
February 19, 2008, 09:37 PM
I like the idea of playing 3 lefties @ top. SN,TI,JS.. or TI,JS,SN.. any order!

sheikh
February 20, 2008, 04:58 AM

IMO to play 3 lefties may be good for us. The recent performence of left handed batsmen against SA bowlers show that lefties do better than the right handed ones. So, strategically also, it may be good for us to play more number of lefties.
To me, Ntini and peterson are poor against left handers.
So, I would prefer SN @ 3.

abu2abu
February 20, 2008, 06:16 AM
I've been saying that SN should bat at 3 since the first test against NZ! It is established pratice, England for example have 3 openers in Cook, Staruss and Vaughan and before that they had tresco, Vaughan and butcher. An opener at 3 is a good idea.

Mushfiq at 3 could also work. Technically the most correct batsman BD have. I don't care what any1 say about nazimuddin, for me mushy is the most techinically sound...

auntu
February 20, 2008, 07:04 AM
I've been saying that SN should bat at 3 since the first test against NZ! It is established pratice, England for example have 3 openers in Cook, Staruss and Vaughan and before that they had tresco, Vaughan and butcher. An opener at 3 is a good idea.

Mushfiq at 3 could also work. Technically the most correct batsman BD have.

:notworthy::notworthy:

Totally agree bro. that would help balance d team. 1st bashar 2 go. :sick:

I am still do doa 4 bashar to perform in this series. b'coz i can't b 'NEMAK HARAM' he has performed a lot for us, no doubt.:waiting:

sharifk
February 22, 2008, 10:55 AM
I know it didn't work the way it intended to be in the first inning, but we should continue with an opener at first down against SA pace attack..