PDA

View Full Version : the pitch in mirpur

shovon13
February 20, 2008, 06:49 PM
I am wondering whether the pitch that will be used for the first test is a hard flat one or will it have any grass on it? I noticed in the other threads some comments about the pitch being not batting friendly at all. I thought they decided to trim the grass off the pitch and make it real flat. Any pointers anyone?

Murad
February 20, 2008, 07:00 PM
I just hope the pitch is not like the one in which India scored 600 something in the first Test last year.

If its same one then we will be doomed...

cricman
February 20, 2008, 07:31 PM
these idiots @ BCB says the pitch will suit fast bowlers!!!

overview
The Shere Bangla Mirpur Stadium became Bangladesh's sixth, and the world's 95th, Test venue in May 2007. It is fondly known as the "The New Home of Bangladesh Cricket" and is shaped like a rectangle as it was originally meant to serve as a football and athletics ground. The stadium also sports the biggest furniture market in Dhaka.

The ground boasts the best drainage system in the sub-continent with some claiming that 15-20 minutes are all you need to drain the ground after some of the heaviest rainfall in Bangladesh.

The capacity will be upgraded to 50000 and the ground is scheduled to host the opening ceremony and opening match of the 2011 World Cup.

Last time out

Bangladesh were on the receiving end of a big hiding in the only previous Test to be played here. Dinesh Karthik, Wasim Jaffer, Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar all scored tons as neighbours India piled on 610 for three.

India wrapped up an innings and 239-run victory after dismissing the hosts for 118 and 253. Mohammad Ashraful, with 67, was the only Bangladesh batsman to score more than fifty in either innings. Zaheer Khan finished with match figures of 7/88 while Anil Kumble picked up 5/104 as India won inside three days.

They Said

Head groundsman Shafiul Alam Belal on the pitch: "I can tell you, these will be far different than any other Bangladeshi pitches. They will be hard and fast. And yes, they will be bouncy."

Bangladesh coach Jamie Siddons: "The wicket is slow and low in Mirpur and it will help our spinners. But what I think is that they have some good batsmen in the team who are capable of playing on any kind of surface."

Bangladesh skipper Mohammad Ashraful: "We know that South Africa are usually used to play on seeming and bouncy wicket, but here they'll find slow and turning wicket, which may create some problems for them."

South Africa coach Mickey Arthur: "One has to get used to these conditions, acclimatise well before everything starts falling into place."

Weather Forecast

It is expected to be hot and humid for all five days, so both teams would want to keep their time in the field to a bare minimum.

Conclusion

The ground sports eight pitches that are made of "100% local materials". Belal promises "we can expect the afternoon bowlers of the winter matches to get some assistance from the northern wind", while the Bangladesh Cricket Board website states the following: 'Pitch Type: Fleet & Bouncy Wicket'.

However, the only previous Test here proves the pitch demands hard work from the pacemen. The lack of grass means fast bowlers won't be queuing up to bowl, but Zaheer Khan proved last time that if you put in the hard yards you will get rewarded.

Whoever wins the toss will probably be looking to put a huge total on the board first up.

Shahida Jacobs

al Furqaan
February 20, 2008, 07:55 PM
contradictory info coming from the groundsmen and all other sources.

Murad
February 20, 2008, 07:57 PM
we need to change the curator for this venue..

we need to hire someone else.. from india or pakistan.

bodiul alom khokon and someone else.. they just sux

nsd3
February 20, 2008, 08:09 PM
Many think that bowlers - most probably spinners will get benefit on Mirpur pitch.ffice:office" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:p></u1:p>Also last year England A team player Matt Prior spoke about the pitch and said something like - because of the low bounce one needs to stand close to the quick bowlers, so that your reaction time is much less.<u1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p>Last October during NCL we noticed the ball had kept low from the very beginning of the longer-version game and there had been no change in the corresponding surface for the limited-over games either.<o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p>The following link says about the pitch: http://www.cricket365.com/story/0,18305,6575_3167862,00.html<u1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p>The conclusion from it is pasted below:<u1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p>"The ground sports eight pitches that are made of "100% local materials". Belal promises "we can expect the afternoon bowlers of the winter matches to get some assistance from the northern wind", while the Bangladesh Cricket Board website states the following: 'Pitch Type: Fleet & Bouncy Wicket'. <u1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p>
However, the only previous Test here proves the pitch demands hard work from the pacemen. The lack of grass means fast bowlers won't be queuing up to bowl, but Zaheer Khan proved last time that if you put in the hard yards you will get rewarded. <u1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p>
Whoever wins the toss will probably be looking to put a huge total on the board first up." <o:p></o:p>
<u1:p></u1:p><u1:p>BD batsmen, I think, should depend on cautious drives against pacers and sweeps/ reverse sweeps against spinners and follow what Matt Prior said after his batting above. Let’s hope for the best</u1:p><o:p></o:p>

Tokai
February 20, 2008, 08:43 PM
Does it matter what the pitch will be? We are not going to cross 200 anyway.

Ishtylish cricketer
February 20, 2008, 08:44 PM
I'm confused. Will it be bouncey and fast or will it be like our traditional slow and low type?

Ajfar
February 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
Does it matter what the pitch will be? We are not going to cross 200 anyway.

tokai bhai..ami apnar dolee..joto kom asha..toto kom nirasha..

Eshen
February 20, 2008, 09:20 PM
Head groundsman Shafiul Alam Belal on the pitch: "I can tell you, these will be far different than any other Bangladeshi pitches. They will be hard and fast. And yes, they will be bouncy."

Belal is making a fool out of himself again.

AsifTheManRahman
February 20, 2008, 09:32 PM
Who do you believe?

By the way, this could have been a hundred dollar thread, had it not been for our batsmen's suicidal instincts.

One World
February 20, 2008, 09:47 PM
<FONT color=black><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p>
</o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:p></u1:p><font color=" /><o:p></o:p>
However, the only previous Test here proves the pitch demands hard work from the pacemen. The lack of grass means fast bowlers won't be queuing up to bowl, but Zaheer Khan proved last time that if you put in the hard yards you will get rewarded. <?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:p></u1:p><o:p></o:p>
Whoever wins the toss will probably be looking to put a huge total on the board first up." <o:p></o:p>

I remember in the match thread one Indian fan mentioned as when BD bowled the pitch responded flat and as India came to bowl it suddenly got life.

But again India is largely known for making spin friendly pitches and winning tests using the pitch conditions and spinners. NZ showed how you can use official decisions in home condition. Senior teams are always privileged by umpires - it has become an open secret.

So it is acceptable if BD try to gain some pitch advantage in her own backyard.

sandpiper
February 20, 2008, 10:48 PM
পিচে কোন ঘাস নাই।
পিচে পানি দেওয়া হয় নাই।

;) (:flag:)

tiger_omar
February 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hopefully Belal talked with the folks at BCB and is saying that there will be a "hard and fast and bouncy pitch" to trick the SA'ans into believing that there will be a pitch that would assist them. Well atleast that what I'm hoping for, because it would be pretty dumb to have fast and bouncy pitch against SA.

Their bastmen play well in those conditions and so do their bowlers. Ofcourse our spinners play better in the slower tracks and so do our batsmen. And more importantly, the SA'ans struggle against spin in slow and turning pitches.

So hopefully, Belal is not telling the truth, and he's actually smarter than he talks.

Sohel
February 21, 2008, 03:21 AM
Irrespective of what our so called curator has in his alleged mind, I expect the wicket to be slow and low with moisture and crosswinds assisting swing bowling, and not just during the first session. The weather in Dhaka has been on the cloudy side.

Extra bounce? Maybe a bit if it rains a lot and stays cloudy, keeping the clay underneath on the soft side. Unlikely but you never know.

Rabz
February 21, 2008, 05:29 AM
I'd be surprised if the pitch is hard and bouncy. I believe its nothing but to confuse the Saffers.

According to the curator, who was just in tele a little while ago, the pitch would favour the batsmen in the first two days and then it would become a slow,low and turning pitch.

Hopefully we can bat first, stay till half of day 2 or even better till the end-ish and then ask Saffers to bat.

Omio
February 21, 2008, 05:52 AM
Fatullah should be our home ground. Why BCB r not interested to play test over there?

nsd3
February 21, 2008, 05:56 AM
Losing toss and then bowling first - singing the same song.... we need more time bla bla bla.

sadi
February 21, 2008, 09:16 AM
If I remember correctly, Ashraful failed to win a single toss in New Zealand tour. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses the toss again.

Nafi
February 21, 2008, 09:25 AM
In a dead pitch where the ball is not swinging, fast bowlers have to be smart, they just to be smart, bowling cross-seam, slower balls, cutters and yorkers are the way to go.

Thats what Zaheer Khan did, he bowled a cross seam ball that hit the seam, and rose sharply to dismiss Bashar.

Tigers_eye
February 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
Toss: I think the home team calls for it. So basically Ash didn't lose the tosses. Vettori won the tosses. All seven times.

Now Ash must call and we will see if he loses the toss or not.

SS
February 21, 2008, 09:49 AM
...will be the paradise for the batsman, for SA you know the trend
...will be last battle ground for our <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
...will be self made death trap for top and middle order that are unusual brand<o:p></o:p>
...will be perfect pitch who will give 100% and take the command<o:p></o:p>

mahbubH
February 21, 2008, 09:53 AM
Toss: I think the home team calls for it. So basically Ash didn't lose the tosses. Vettori won the tosses. All seven times.

Now Ash must call and we will see if he loses the toss or not.
Is it the convention that the home team will call all the time?

PoorFan
February 21, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hope Ash win the toss and NOT choose to FIELD, like Bashar did last time against India.

exotic
February 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
Toss: I think the home team calls for it. So basically Ash didn't lose the tosses. Vettori won the tosses....

I think thats actually other way around. I remember reading, during the NZ series, Ashraful saying that Vettori was hiding the coin so he couldn't see which side of the coin was up (as he came up with the idea of most of the time the coin will land on the side it was thrown:doh:, or something like that which did not make any sense anyway)

nsd3
February 21, 2008, 05:31 PM
Daily inqilab today has written about the pitch (on the sports section).

http://www.dailyinqilab.com/

Many were saying nobody could predict the nature of the pitch.