PDA

View Full Version : Expectations from the SA tour of BD

Electrequiem
February 21, 2008, 01:39 AM
Hmm, 21 hours ahead of the match, I am surprised there hasn't been a similar thread already.

Well, poll says it all :).

Sohel
February 21, 2008, 02:37 AM
I voted 'other' ... let me to explain ... :)

With most of our key players still years away from their late 20s and early to mid-30s, I don't really expect much in the way of wins. But cricket IS a game of 'glorious uncertainties' and anything can happen on our day when it comes to ODIs. For tests, it's more difficult. We'll need to seize every opportunity that comes our way and out-perform the better opposition first over sessions, and then days. NOT easy.

That said, I'd like to see our boys play all 10 days of test cricket and win at least 1 ODI, tough to do with only 10 players in the side but one can always hope I suppose. The ODI win is more probable because we'll be playing those with 11 players. All in all, I expect visible improvement both in terms of team cohesion and performance after the humiliation down under.

When it comes to individual performance, I expect improvements, especially technical improvements across the board also. It would be great to see our batsmen NOT giving their wickets away with poor footwork or shot selection. MAKE them get your wickets boys! Bowling-wise, I expect 6 good deliveries in a row first, and then perhaps a few good spells back-to-back. Here's what I expect from our probable starting XIs for texts and ODIs: -

1. Tamim: At least FOUR 50 plus performances, including a century over the 7 innings he's expected to play.

2. Zunaed: See Tamim.

3. HaBa: Nothing really, so anything will be a bonus. I certainly hope he does well enough to keep Rajin out of the line-up for the 2nd test. It's just too painful to watch Rajin block half-volleys and full-tosses and create pressure on himself and his team by staying inside his shell for way too long. With my choice Farhad NOT being able to take HaBa's place in tests, I'd hate to see 'the myth of Rajin' take root after being relieved of the 'myth of Golla'. Anyway, I'm looking forward to HaBa's bowling ... :-D

4. Ash: At least 2 centuries and some clutch bowling.

5. Abir: I don't expect him to score beyond 20s and 30s, but a 50 will be nice.

6. Aftab: See Abir.

7. Moyna: See Abir. Bowling-wise, I expect some tight bowling but not many wickets.

8. GoBoy: I expect him to do better under more familiar conditions. Maybe a 50 on our slow and low pitches.

9. Koushik: He is back IMHO and I expect nothing less than 12-14 crucial wickets over 7 innings of test and ODI cricket. I expect to see some sensible batting with a straighter bat also.

10. Rajib: See Koushik.

11. Rafiq: I expect him to go out with a HUGE bang and get the wickets he wasn't lucky enough to get despite some good bowling in the NCL. I expect him to be our highest wicket-taker in the tests and 'sentimentality' has nothing to do with it.

12. Farhad (ODIs): I expect continued improvement with the ball and better shot selection with the bat. Someone who hits the ball as cleanly as he does, needs to use his head and build the type of better innings he is capable of.

13. Rasel (ODIs): See Koushik without the batting expectations.

14. Razzak (ODIs): I expect him to be our highest wicket-taker in ODIs and some clutch hitting down the order. He's a better batsman than Koushik IMHO and I'd like to see him bat ahead of our VC.

RazabQ
February 21, 2008, 03:00 AM
Sohel, you basically described Option 4. :)

Sohel
February 21, 2008, 03:06 AM
Sohel, you basically described Option 4. :)

Good catch, but I kinda prefer the ambiguity of Option 5. [বাংলা]আবার ধরা খেতে চাইনা[/বাংলা] ... ;)

bdpride04
February 21, 2008, 03:07 AM
i have a strong feeling that we gonna let South Africa know what Bengali stand for muhahahahah

tiger_omar
February 21, 2008, 03:11 AM
I voted for Option #4. I would like us to win all the matches of course, but my expectations and desire do not coincide.

Nonetheless, I expect to avoid an innings defeat in both of the test matches, and take one match in day 5. Anything more will be a bonus.

On the other hand, I am expecting atleast one win in the ODI game. Anything less will be a dissapointment.

PoorFan
February 21, 2008, 03:50 AM
4. Ash: At least 2 centuries and some clutch bowling.
<!--StartFragment -->This one seems asking too much! How many centuries he scored in his whole career? ... says it all.:-D

7. Moyna: See Abir. Bowling-wise, I expect some tight bowling but not many wickets.
I want him to score more than you asked, its time to prove his mettle ... atleast in home, I am looking forward.

Antora
February 21, 2008, 04:33 AM
I want to think it's going to be a total BD domination
but my sweet dreams don't last for very long, so i voted for option 4. One ODI win and i will be happy. :)

Sohel
February 21, 2008, 04:44 AM
<!--StartFragment -->This one seems asking too much! How many centuries he scored in his whole career? ... says it all.:-D

Actually, I really think he's that good a player and hope that he'll start to deliver some of that promise this time around. As we know only too well, he tends to give his wicket away more than anything else, and with good googly bowers NOT in the South African cards, expecting him to deliver a couple of 100s out of 7 chances isn't really that much of a stretch. Anyway, I'll continue to hope even if he doesn't deliver this time ... :)

I want him to score more than you asked, its time to prove his mettle ... atleast in home, I am looking forward.

Moyna is one of my favorite players but he still has a long way to go at this level IMHO, espcecially in tests with good bowlers accurately bowling to the field set for them. With all due respect to possibly our captain someday in the future, he (like Abir) is facing South Africa, not a depleted Zimbabwe or sides like an over-the-hill Kenya, Namibia, Canada, Bermuda or what have you. Luckily Moyna has a good head on his shoulders and knows the difference between a Bangladeshi minnow-basher and a good, consistent International cricketer.

Rabz
February 21, 2008, 05:09 AM
Tests, something tells me we will win one.
Its about time.

ODI: we'll go down 2-1.

PoorFan
February 21, 2008, 05:18 AM
Actually, I really think he's that good a player and hope that he'll start to deliver some of that promise this time around. As we know only too well, he tends to give his wicket away more than anything else, and without good googly bowers not in the South African cards, expecting him to deliver a couple of 100s out of 7 chances is that much of a strtch. Anyway, I'll continue to hope even if he doesn't deliver this time ... :)

Now I am hopeful.:)

Luckily Moyna has a good head on his shoulders and knows the difference between a Bangladeshi minnow-basher and a good, consistent International cricketer.
<!--StartFragment -->Exactly, I am also counting ( on him ) on this point, lets see.

PoorFan
February 21, 2008, 05:22 AM
Tests, something tells me we will win one.
Its about time.

ODI: we'll go down 2-1.
You mean ... win all the way in BD perspective!/:)

bdchamp20
February 21, 2008, 08:30 AM
one hard fought(but lost) test and one drawn test and one ODI win

Tigers_eye
February 21, 2008, 09:07 AM
No option for me? Draw koi? Chittagong tho draw hobai. Now if we can win the toss in Dhaka SA khobor asey.

SS
February 21, 2008, 09:23 AM
I am not sure what to choose between option 2 and 5. If practice match shows our true picture of batting, I can be definite but with bd team whatever you expect goes wayward when it comes to reality.

KnightBD
February 21, 2008, 10:41 AM
Dream for option 1 :D
Hope for option 3 :smug:
Expect for option 4 :-p
Reality is option 2 :sick:

al Furqaan
February 21, 2008, 11:05 AM
i feel we have as good a chance to win a test match as any...and the practice match reinforces that feeling. for some reason with backs against the wall, BD team performs. they do us proud when we least expect it, which would actually contradict my entire post, lolz.

but the sri lanka win, aussie win, saffer win, india WC win...all came as surprises or with some calamity attached (e.g rana's death).

so i voted for 2 hard fought (but lost) tests, and one ODI win. i hope we win 2 ODIs.

zainab
February 21, 2008, 11:37 AM
Expectation is that BD do not lose any test match by an innings defeat, try to take the match into the 5th day, bowl out SA for less than 400 runs in any innings, and try to perform much better even if they lose, but lose with a fighting spirit.

They can perform much better in the ODIs, keeping my fingers crossed for at least one win.

Beamer
February 21, 2008, 12:45 PM
I expect two-three test centuries in tests. Last two years saw us hitting only three test centuries ( SN, Ash and Ash ). I hope Zunaid and Tamim get their maiden tons. But, I have a hunch, and don't ask me why , I think Aftab is due for a hundred in both versions of the game. Once he gets that he will catapult himself and solidify his position in both teams. He surely is capable.

Shobha
February 21, 2008, 12:52 PM
expect a century from ash for sure, it's been a while since we've seen a ton from him:-|. also a good partnership between tamim and big z. bowling wise, i want to see rajib continuing his excellent form.
oh and it will also be nice to see golden boy getting some runs:-D

Murad
February 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
I've no expectaions.

I just want to see a good show. Thats all.

I will be happy if they do well. And I won't be sad if they do bad.

GO tigers, ebar kichu ekta dekha...

Fazal
February 21, 2008, 02:22 PM
Things to worry:
BATTING.....

(overall)
1. Will the openers give us a solid start?
2. Will we avoid mini batting collapses specially after good partnership ?
3. Will we avoid fall of wicket just before the end of a session (lunch, tea, end of the day)?
4. Will we avoid more than 3 wicket down in each session?
5. Will we have atleast one session with 1 or less wicket down ?

(individual)

1. Will Junaid justify his coach's trust?
2. Will SN (if he plays) show that he is regaining his from back?
3. Will we see the new Tamaim (if plays) or back to old Tamim
4. Will Aftab go beyond 30 and cross 50?
5. How comforatble will be Ash with their new approach (stay in the wicket first as long as you can, run will come later)?
6. Will mr. 50 justify his inclusion for one more time?
7. Will Skaib justify his title as "Mr. Dependable"?
8. Will Rahim show us some sign that he is getting his form back?
9. Will Rafiq somehow score some runs for the last time (assuming this will be his last series)
10. Which Masharfee we will see (as a batsman)?
11. Will Razzak (if he plays) justify his talent as a lower end attacking batsman that he showed in local league?
12. Will Shahadat continue to grow as a lower end batsman and help delaying the end of the innings?

BOWLING....

1. Will Mashrafee get the break at the begining of the innings
2. Will Mashrafee get 6 wickets (In two innings)?
3. How effective Shahadat will be with the old ball ?
4. Will Shahadat get the break in key moments?
5. Will Rafiq shine in the later innings, specially 2nd innings?
6. Will Aftab be effective as the 3rd seamer and give much needed rest to mashrafee and Shahadat?
7. Will Sakib fill up the 2nd spinner slot (if Razzak doesn't play) ?
8. Can Skaib gives us some surprise break with few key wickets?
9. Will Ash be effective the way they used Tendu/Dada to break a partnership?
10. Will Rafiq get 5+ wickets in one innings?

Murad
February 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
ore baapre baap....

fazal bhai koto question na ask korlo..... porte porte matha dhore geche.. :D

dekha jaak ajke koitar answer paowa jai...

Beamer
February 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
All valid points by Fazal. I will have to agree.

Tigers_eye
February 21, 2008, 03:32 PM
Things to worry:
BATTING.....

(overall)
1. Will the openers give us a solid start? 70% chance
2. Will we avoid mini batting collapses specially after good partnership ? 0%. With HB there...
3. Will we avoid fall of wicket just before the end of a session (lunch, tea, end of the day)? don't think so...
4. Will we avoid more than 3 wicket down in each session? 1st session yes, however 2nd session we will lose more than 3 and compensate.
5. Will we have atleast one session with 1 or less wicket down ? yes, session 1.

(individual)

1. Will Junaid justify his coach's trust? yes
2. Will SN (if he plays) show that he is regaining his from back? somewhat.
3. Will we see the new Tamaim (if plays) or back to old Tamim he is not playing.
4. Will Aftab go beyond 30 and cross 50? No
5. How comforatble will be Ash with their new approach (stay in the wicket first as long as you can, run will come later)? very uncomfortable. natural game kheltey parbe na.
6. Will mr. 50 justify his inclusion for one more time? R u kidding me?
7. Will Skaib justify his title as "Mr. Dependable"? 80% he should. Home court he needs a 50 in the first two innings.
8. Will Rahim show us some sign that he is getting his form back? 50% yes.
9. Will Rafiq somehow score some runs for the last time (assuming this will be his last series) Defintely.
10. Which Masharfee we will see (as a batsman)? See Shahadat's comment on Mash.
11. Will Razzak (if he plays) justify his talent as a lower end attacking batsman that he showed in local league? Definitely to the power 3.
12. Will Shahadat continue to grow as a lower end batsman and help delaying the end of the innings? How else we will reach 300?

BOWLING....

1. Will Mashrafee get the break at the begining of the innings No.
2. Will Mashrafee get 6 wickets (In two innings)? No.
3. How effective Shahadat will be with the old ball ? not very effective.
4. Will Shahadat get the break in key moments? yes.
6. Will Aftab be effective as the 3rd seamer and give much needed rest to mashrafee and Shahadat? no
7. Will Sakib fill up the 2nd spinner slot (if Razzak doesn't play) ? yes
8. Can Skaib gives us some surprise break with few key wickets? No
9. Will Ash be effective the way they used Tendu/Dada to break a partnership? Yes
10. Will Rafiq get 5+ wickets in one innings? No.

Shobha
February 21, 2008, 05:49 PM
Things to worry:
BATTING.....

(overall)
1. Will the openers give us a solid start? 70% chance
2. Will we avoid mini batting collapses specially after good partnership ? 0%. With HB there...
3. Will we avoid fall of wicket just before the end of a session (lunch, tea, end of the day)? don't think so...
4. Will we avoid more than 3 wicket down in each session? 1st session yes, however 2nd session we will lose more than 3 and compensate.
5. Will we have atleast one session with 1 or less wicket down ? yes, session 1.

(individual)

1. Will Junaid justify his coach's trust? yes
2. Will SN (if he plays) show that he is regaining his from back? somewhat.
3. Will we see the new Tamaim (if plays) or back to old Tamim he is not playing.
4. Will Aftab go beyond 30 and cross 50? No
5. How comforatble will be Ash with their new approach (stay in the wicket first as long as you can, run will come later)? very uncomfortable. natural game kheltey parbe na.
6. Will mr. 50 justify his inclusion for one more time? R u kidding me?
7. Will Skaib justify his title as "Mr. Dependable"? 80% he should. Home court he needs a 50 in the first two innings.
8. Will Rahim show us some sign that he is getting his form back? 50% yes.
9. Will Rafiq somehow score some runs for the last time (assuming this will be his last series) Defintely.
10. Which Masharfee we will see (as a batsman)? See Shahadat's comment on Mash.
11. Will Razzak (if he plays) justify his talent as a lower end attacking batsman that he showed in local league? Definitely to the power 3.
12. Will Shahadat continue to grow as a lower end batsman and help delaying the end of the innings? How else we will reach 300?

BOWLING....

1. Will Mashrafee get the break at the begining of the innings No.
2. Will Mashrafee get 6 wickets (In two innings)? No.
3. How effective Shahadat will be with the old ball ? not very effective.
4. Will Shahadat get the break in key moments? yes.
6. Will Aftab be effective as the 3rd seamer and give much needed rest to mashrafee and Shahadat? no
7. Will Sakib fill up the 2nd spinner slot (if Razzak doesn't play) ? yes
8. Can Skaib gives us some surprise break with few key wickets? No
9. Will Ash be effective the way they used Tendu/Dada to break a partnership? Yes
10. Will Rafiq get 5+ wickets in one innings? No.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
for your own sake let's hope SOME of them are true

Shobha
February 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
one thing of tamim's not playing then who the hell's opening with zunaid??

Sovik
February 21, 2008, 06:21 PM
I just want to see some good positive performance. don't really care about the outcome of the series

Ajfar
February 21, 2008, 08:05 PM
i wanna see the Whole Bangladesh Team fighting out theree..rather then 1 or 2 player...fighting a lost battlee...

One World
February 21, 2008, 09:54 PM
LOL, why Tamzid, where is 'Shamz' - the khamba guru

Rifat
February 22, 2008, 01:45 AM
i expect very litle from this mediocre team...

but however, ALLAH occasionally helps us consistently throughout the whole match and we win quite convincingly

Sohel
February 22, 2008, 04:01 AM
i expect very litle from this mediocre team...

but however, ALLAH occasionally helps us consistently throughout the whole match and we win quite convincingly

Maybe GOD help those who help themselves and dilligently maintain their covenant with GOD with utmost sincerity. The now traditional idiocy flaunted by our top order batsmen has nothing to with any of the aforementioned words and concepts bro.

Luckily, there's another innings in this match and endless hope ... :)

AsifTheManRahman
February 22, 2008, 12:05 PM
Total BD domination, of course. We shall humiliate the Saffers and bring them to submission - anything less will be a waste of time.

SS
February 22, 2008, 12:11 PM
Total BD domination, of course. We shall humiliate the Saffers and bring them to submission - anything less will be a waste of time.
I doubt that will happen and I will be alive to see that to happen in my own eyes. It will be years for BD even to become competitive. And when fighters will retire, imagine what will happen to the team. There are no unrealistic expectations that can be expected from the team at this moment.