PDA

View Full Version : Umpire Bucknor has an excellent first day

DJ Sahastra
February 22, 2008, 04:10 PM
He has surprised me. Only one wrongful wicket so far - he must be having a superb outing by his own standards :).

Hope he can maintain or better that standard over next 4 days.

akabir77
February 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
Cricket
Bucknor raises wrong finger
Mohammad Isam

Famous Jamaican umpire Steve Bucknor is in his elements again. This time it was Mohammad Rafique, who fell in his trap of oversight, misjudgement, the dreaded nod and yes, that slow, camera-hogging raised index finger.

Rafique must have been puzzled to see the man who has umpired in more Test matches than anyone else giving him out in that manner yesterday.

The ball hit his bat and deflected for six inches into his front pad.

Morne Morkel, who delivered a beautiful yorker at the stumps, understandably appealed till he got the decision of his fancy.

Some at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium heard the thick edge thudding into the pad and when television replays confirmed yet another bad decision, there was an uproar.

61-year-old Bucknor's prolonged international career resumed yesterday after the infamous Sydney Test in January, after which the International Cricket Council asked him to return home.

The forced separation from the gruelling job should have been a sobering experience but it seems nothing has changed and the tough schedule is still taking its toll on the tall man from Montego Bay.

Some say that it all evens out in the end, i.e., some good decision will go Rafique's way but is it also applicable for Bucknor? Is he balancing out the good work of yesteryears with some terrible decisions now?

This may be for him to answer, but where does ICC stand in this raging debate? There seem to be no age-limit for umpires and no regulation of the amount of matches they have to stand in.

In a widening game with even more implications of each game (India's threat of returning home if he wasn't removed from the subsequent Perth Test), a man with waning performance has no place.

The man who stood in five successive World Cup finals from 1992 to 2007 must be tired of all the criticism on top of the outrageous scheduling, but why still be in the game when you know you're game is up?

cricman
February 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
He still needs new glasses and a hearing aid ... Rafique's Wicket was awful.

tanim3960
February 22, 2008, 04:17 PM
Bucknor have always favor bangladesh..........
i expact more bucknor finger up for lbw on rafique's spell

DJ Sahastra
February 22, 2008, 04:20 PM
Hmm :umm: ... any particular game that comes to your mind?

Mahir
February 22, 2008, 04:39 PM
He has surprised me. Only one wrongful wicket so far - he must be having a superb outing by his own standards :).

And that's what... 100% record of wrongful decision-making in this match so far ? How many appeals did he face from both teams in total anyway ? How much pressure do WE really put on the umpires ? We don't appeal like the Aussies and a couple other teams do... heck, we don't even appeal when there's a legitimate reason to do so!

akabir77
February 22, 2008, 04:55 PM

what? when?

reyme
February 22, 2008, 05:06 PM
This is just the beginning. He will continue to screw us up! Please send him on the next flight before his ruins everything up. His bad decision probabaly cost us 25 odd runs.

tiger_omar
February 22, 2008, 06:57 PM

Hope he can maintain or better that standard over next 4 days.

Steve Bucknor is one of the best umpires of all time from what I hear, so even one wrong decision, by his standard isn't very good, especially since it was pretty obvious that there was an edge on that play. His standards have started falling in the last year or so. Being an umpire in international cricket is a very demanding job and maybe his age is getting to him

Other than that, he wasn't under any real pressure to give anything out, so he had a mediocre outing, I wouldn't say superb.

HereWeGo
February 22, 2008, 07:01 PM
Bucknor is one of the best umpires. Yes he made some mistakes against India and the decision went against India and that is wat caused all the uproar. I mean Bangladesh has been on the recieving ends of countless faulty decisions from A de silva and from Newzealand version of Mr Hook. The world only failed to notice because Bangladesh is not a power house in Cricket.

mij
February 22, 2008, 07:57 PM

I would not count on it.

zainab
February 23, 2008, 09:36 AM
Bucknor should retire without disgracing himself once again. ICC should be blamed for keeping him on, India will never have him as an umpire again.

I agree with you, that BD does not appeal convincingly enough, the Aussies and the South Africans are very good at this.they intimidate the umpires.
He gave out DEVL when Ash bowled the double bounce ball.

MohammedC
February 23, 2008, 10:19 AM
Bucknor should retire without disgracing himself once again. ICC should be blamed for keeping him on, India will never have him as an umpire again.

I agree with you, that BD does not appeal convincingly enough, the Aussies and the South Africans are very good at this.they intimidate the umpires.
He gave out DEVL when Ash bowled the double bounce ball.

De vilieres wkt: Rules says the ball has to bounce more than twice before umpire can call it a no ball. So he was right in that case.

He was awful when he gave Rafique out. That was an inside edge

And there was time he seemed really tired at the end of day two.

Sohel
February 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
The Rafiq dismissal was unacceptable. That sound was heard all the way down in Bagerhat!

Other than that hearing issue, he "saw reasonably well" ... ;)

BTW, AD + ST = Best in the business.

reyme
February 23, 2008, 11:06 AM
what is AD+ST?

reyme
February 23, 2008, 11:12 AM
Umpiring is probably the best job in the world, make money just by raising finger!Plus stay in a 5 star hotel, free travel and free food....still screws up. I have a feeling Bucknor cant even gradute from grade 5 in a primary school. He will start snoring in the exam room, thats what he does in the cricket field.

Yasin
February 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
what is AD+ST?

Aleem Dar + Simon Taufel

mshakir56
February 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
Bucknor should step down !

cricman
February 24, 2008, 04:59 AM
File a Complaint please BCB

tonoy
February 24, 2008, 05:01 AM
please get rid of him. It is criminal to not give that one not out. That blind old man has got to go!!!!!!!!

reyme
February 24, 2008, 05:01 AM
kill this idiot for the sake of cricket

reyme
February 24, 2008, 05:03 AM
how long do have to suffer for bad umpiring, there is a limit. only bcb can be this spineless

WarWolf
February 24, 2008, 06:42 AM
Bucknor is the 2nd most stupid umpire Bangladesh ever had in their game. The most stupid one was Ashoka De Silva. Bucknor has developed "chalshay" in his eyes. Ar koto? ICC probably developed chalshay too. That's why they can't see his problems and are still in favor of this old and disabled guy.

Sohel
February 24, 2008, 06:53 AM
Bucknor is the 2nd most stupid umpire Bangladesh ever had in their game. The most stupid one was Ashoka De Silva. Bucknor has developed "chalshay" in his eyes. Ar koto? ICC probably developed chalshay too. That's why they can't see his problems and are still in favor of this old and disabled guy.

Disagree! Peter 'El Gordo' Parker's far worse than *ucknor and his Bucklami. That said, Asoka's still king and always will be ... :notworthy:

Inferno
February 24, 2008, 06:54 AM

Its a golden oppurtunity for Bangladesh cricket board to stand up and make an official complain. Show some spine. I dont know how the old man is umpiring again after the Sydney debacle. Its all ICC's fault, BCCI did one good thing that they stood against Bucknor and forced him go by showing their might. He needs to retire.

Tintin
February 24, 2008, 06:54 AM
At least Kallis was out soon after the Bucknor error. If South Africa won the match by one or two wickets, and Kallis scored 70* out of that score, you'll probably understand what the Sydney Test felt like :)

Alien
February 24, 2008, 07:22 AM
Why can't he just retire rather than be the most hated person in cricket? Honestly, one of these days he will be killed if he screws up in subcontinent with subcontinent.

Alien
February 24, 2008, 07:23 AM
Its a golden oppurtunity for Bangladesh cricket board to stand up and make an official complain. Show some spine. I dont know how the old man is umpiring again after the Sydney debacle. Its all ICC's fault, BCCI did one good thing that they stood against Bucknor and forced him go by showing their might. He needs to retire.

We don't have the money of influence like BCCI. Our complains will just fall into deaf ears.

WarWolf
February 24, 2008, 07:33 AM
We don't have the money of influence like BCCI. Our complains will just fall into deaf ears.
Did we ever try?

Tintin
February 24, 2008, 08:17 AM

Teams have made complaints against umpires (it seems that West Indies complained against Koertzen and SA against Bucknor in their last tours of Australia). ICC won't bother with complaints unless teams do something drastic like Oval 2006 and Sydney 2008.

BanCricFan
February 24, 2008, 08:25 AM
Disagree! Peter 'El Gordo' Parker's far worse than *ucknor and his Bucklami. That said, Asoka's still king and always will be ... :notworthy:

You crack me up, bro!:floor:

Wish I could say the same in the FC section too!;)

lamisa
February 24, 2008, 10:33 AM
look Bucknor is old and so he is screwing up.it isnt right for us to treat him like haba.he is undisputedly a fabulous umpire.but i believe that its time for him 2 retire.

mshakir56
February 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
Bucknor should quit just like Bashar ! too old !

WarWolf
February 24, 2008, 02:10 PM
Bashar and Bucknor should consult together and should announce the decision of retirement before the start of the 2nd test. Do we have any cartoonist here? May we expect any comic cartoon on this?

Alien
February 24, 2008, 07:13 PM
Bashar and Bucknor should consult together and should announce the decision of retirement before the start of the 2nd test. Do we have any cartoonist here? May we expect any comic cartoon on this?

Actually Bashar will go on another dinner date with Dada who will convince him to say longer. As for Bucknor, I dunno what will convince him to go.

MarufH
February 24, 2008, 07:19 PM
Scroll down to see the playcard.

http://www.dailyinqilab.com/february25/images/hh.jpg

Mohiul
February 25, 2008, 12:12 AM
No more Bucknor please. Period

akabir77
February 25, 2008, 12:16 AM
buknur didn't gave one out today. that could have been rafiq's 99th victim...

He is old can't even see please ICC don't do this to us...

DJ Sahastra
February 25, 2008, 12:20 AM
Trust me when i say this - By his standard, Bucknor has had an excellent match so far.

The key word here is "By his standards".

Murad
February 25, 2008, 12:21 AM
bucknor the dipjol of bangla film.