PDA

View Full Version : Should Rafique keep playing?

al Furqaan
February 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
He is still a beast especially on home tracks against teams who have trouble with spin. At least it seems that way. Perhaps Rafque should enter psuedo-retirement. play only home tests. He still seems to important to the bowling line up. especially given our batting weakness. Enam can play as the 2nd spinner, and we can go with 3 pacers in away tests.

Thoughts?

cricman
February 22, 2008, 08:09 PM
I think he's better than Razzak in all facets of the game, people say Razzak has surpassed him in ODI but his last ODI he didn't even play for Bangladesh and he still took 4/65. ODI cricket would probably take a toll on his body but he's good in all 3 forms of the game ... he needs to be in the ODI squad for this series so we can use our 3 headed Spin attack.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvrsa/engine/match/289110.html

arafath79
February 22, 2008, 08:15 PM
Rafique should retire with respect and I want to see him retired after the SA series.

BanCricFan
February 22, 2008, 08:15 PM
Rafique should retire after this series gracefully and his head held high!

MohammedC
February 22, 2008, 08:19 PM
Voted for Home test only but if there was a option for test only I would have voted for that

Ishtylish cricketer
February 22, 2008, 08:42 PM
I think he should retire on a high note. Undoubted the best bowler we ever had. I will never forget his bowling in Bd against Australia. That was very memorable.

sonarbangla
February 22, 2008, 09:00 PM
i think he should carry on.

DotBall
February 22, 2008, 09:08 PM
Rafiq should retire. He has earned the right and respect to do so on a high note.

Snowman
February 22, 2008, 09:09 PM
I think he has chosen a good time for himself to retire. It is his career and he should decide when it is time to carry on or retire. After his retirement hopefully he will be the first Bangladeshi bowler with 100 test wickets, and that is quite an achievement. Though his decision will hurt the team a lot, he cannot be expected to stay for the sake of our team's performance. I find this a unique thing in our team, how we always rely on one or two individuals who we expect will always uplift us from our troubled outings.
That said, he will be greatly missed, but we need to plan for the future. This retirement should bring in the question of how our cricket board manages retirement as well.
Final words, a great Bangladeshi and we as the countrymen of Bangladesh should be very proud of him to have served us.

billah
February 22, 2008, 09:16 PM
As citizens of a newborn nation, we were fortunate enough to see so many "firsts" for our country. Rafique has been our first world-class bowler. He has been at that status for a long time. Yet, even today, when you see Rafique bhai dive and slide to save a boundary, you can't help but wonder - "where does he get that kind of energy?"

Rafique has decided some times ago that he would become a pitch curator after retiring from international cricket. I would like to see him do well in that position. We need good quality pitches. His bowling experience would be invaluable in this respect.

He's been playing cricket for a very long time. He has given it his best. He has many highlights in his career, many unforgettable moments. A living legend, he should retire at the height of the glory of being the first BD bowler with triple digit test wickets to his name.

It would not be dignified to see him pushed & shoved against younger generation spinners for a spot in the team. I hope to see him reach his goal in this series & go out at the top of his game. He can help the young ones, coach and guide them for a long time in to the future.

Rafique has already inspired a whole generation of SLA s in Bangladesh. We now arguably have the largest pool of quality left arm spinners among the test playing nations. This alone, has to be the most important of all his contribution to our cricket.

Rubu
February 22, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm undecided. HaBa should retire. Pilot should retire, but when it comes to rafique, I really don't know. I'll wait until this test to decide.

But, if you ask me does rafique has more to offer for the country. I'll whole heartedly say, yes. then again, its the best time to retire when other will miss you. then (yet) again, we are a country that cannot afford that luxury. so, i cannot make up my mind.

Nocturnal
February 22, 2008, 09:34 PM
Rafique should retire after this series gracefully and his head held high!

ditto

Ajfar
February 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
i wanna see him leave after this series..with his head high in front of the home crowd...

Protic
February 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think he shud retire..and accept IPL offer.. amader jonno onek korse.. ar koto? now do something for himself n his family..earn $$.. IPL is the best source.. I think we shud think abt rafique too.. So retire after the series..head high!! and play IPL!

al Furqaan
February 22, 2008, 10:44 PM
ordinarily i would have said the same as the "he can retire with his head held high" crowd. but we still desperately need him in our lineup. I hope enamul can fill the void, cuz i'm pretty sure razzak and saqib cannot. to me the honor thing isn't just about a guy who retires at the top of his game. its more a long term thing. rafique has given us so much, and if he wishes to give more, and fails trying, i wouldn't think any less of him. he is a legend will be so always.

i agree with rubu...part of me wants to turn the show over to enam and razzak, and the other screams "rafiq, come back!"

PoorFan
February 22, 2008, 11:00 PM
Its tiem, let him step aside with pride & honor.

wiseshah
February 22, 2008, 11:01 PM
Rafiq is all time best BD player and a real fighter. i want him to retire with pride, so nothing can be better than this series. may be we can keep him for this ODI against SAF too. we will miss rafiq.

Sohel
February 23, 2008, 12:05 AM
A resounding NO to his retirement. He should continue playing test cricket. Some of us who actually saw him play in the NCL on BTV World this year, always felt he was unlucky not to rack-up the type of numbers we were expecting from our premier strike bowler. He is still as lethal as ever especially under home conditions.

That said, his interest in batting has gone to soup and his fielding's not consistently good either. So maybe ODIs are no longer an option for him. But when it comes to test cricket, it would be retarded to leave him out.

Eshen
February 23, 2008, 12:12 AM
Considering the fact that we are not playing any test match in next 7-8 months (after the current test series), I think Rafique picked the perfect time to retire.

Murad
February 23, 2008, 01:10 AM
He should retire no matter what. I don't want to see him becoming like Bashar.

Rafique is the only legend of Bangladesh cricket and he should leave with head high.

Murad
February 23, 2008, 01:15 AM
And add to that... Rafique himself said he will retire no matter what. Even if he can't take the 100th wicket. He's really the legend.

Rifat
February 23, 2008, 01:57 AM
Rafiq should retire. He has earned the right and respect to do so on a high note.

i feel that he is at some point run out of energy, but it is up to him he should become the chris harris(former new zealander) of Bangladesh:D

One World
February 23, 2008, 03:52 AM
Yes he needs to make 4 more out of this match and retire and continue conveying his talent to the future cricketers through some sorts of coaching/training program.

lamisa
February 23, 2008, 05:57 AM
well i want him 2 retire with his head held high and with grace and respect.i definitely dont want him 2 become lik haba and get galis from evry1 but i still want 2 see him in maybe another home test series.

Miraz
February 23, 2008, 06:35 AM
IMO, he should stay on for at least one more year.

Today he bowled exceptionally well, kept the things tight and that helped Shahadat to do the damage.

If someone leaked runs consistently from the other end, the story could have been completely different.

We need him if we want to perform well in Test cricket.

zahid
February 23, 2008, 06:42 AM
Jey bhalo kheley, ora amra retire kortey boltesi.

Ar jey bhalo khelei na, o ekhono teamey asey! ( Haba)

AsifTheManRahman
February 23, 2008, 06:48 AM
Up to him, really. I'm ok with either, because it has to happen sooner or later.

Sohel
February 23, 2008, 06:51 AM
IMO, he should stay on for at least one more year.

Today he bowled exceptionally well, kept the things tight and that helped Shahadat to do the damage.

If someone leaked runs consistently from the other end, the story could been completely different.

We need him if we want to perform well in Test cricket.

Spot on Miraz .. :)

He was tight AND threatening as always.

Omio
February 23, 2008, 07:00 AM
I want to see him in test cricket for more 100 years.

tiger_army
February 23, 2008, 07:25 AM
he stil got fitness, i think he bowled more then 15 overs in a row.... looks like the old Rafiq is back again

zainab
February 23, 2008, 08:20 AM
I hope that he gets his 100th Test wicket, he only has 4 more to get and there are3 innings left in the SA side, so he should get it.
I think he himself has decided that it is time to go and will give his spot to another young player.

I hope they do not pick Bashar for the next Test match.