PDA

View Full Version : Was de Villiers out?

Alien
February 23, 2008, 08:02 AM
I am not very good with the rules of the game and this is the first time in my life (aside from my 4 year old nephew) that I saw the ball bounced twice. Cricinfo is now making a noise where Villiers was unfairly given out.

Link (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/339437.html)

Just curious what the rules say. Its just uncommon, that's all. Otherwise I reckon its an out. He didn't have to play it. Had Villiers hit it for six they wouldn't be complaining for sure. Personally I think they are trying to blame it on Bucknor to save themselves (and Villier) the embarrassment of missing getting out in a ball that bounced twice.

The guy is in hot waters already. Conventional to blame on him too.

zainab
February 23, 2008, 08:06 AM
Aleem Dar also confirmed that it was out, so 2 umpires cant be wrong, the rule says that the ball cannot bounce more than twice

cricman
February 23, 2008, 08:09 AM
It was a legal ball it's now gonna be called a Doosraful.

FagunerAgun
February 23, 2008, 08:11 AM
Something new is always bizarre to some critics even though it is legally correct. But who cares, we got the wicket. Now just move on BD tigers.

MohammedC
February 23, 2008, 08:24 AM

:floor::floor:

Doosraful

BangladeshFan
February 23, 2008, 08:25 AM
yes its legal and this was caught and bowled.

i remember a delivery which brian lara bowled probably to shahriar biddut or someone else in dhaka in a practice match. the ball bounced twice and bowled the batsman. it was perfectly legal then and none complained.

how come the SA players dont even know basic rules and trying to create hue and cry now?

incredible
February 23, 2008, 09:06 AM
6. Ball bouncing more than twice or rolling along the ground
The umpire at the bowler's end shall call and signal No ball if a ball which he considers to have been delivered, without having previously touched the bat or person of the striker,
either (i) bounces more than twice
or (ii) rolls along the ground
before it reaches the popping crease.

:-D

This is stated in law 24 of the cricket rules...

http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-24-no-ball,50,AR.html

Anher
February 23, 2008, 09:12 AM
batsman who couldnt hit a ball bounce twice shouldnt be allowed to stay in crease and thats should be included in the roles.

hoodlum
February 23, 2008, 09:16 AM
yes he was out.

Shobha
February 23, 2008, 09:22 AM
he was out end of. but i have a feeling that SA will make a song and dance about it. icc te abar apeal tapeal koira falate pare:sick::mad:

PoorFan
February 23, 2008, 09:30 AM
he was out end of. but i have a feeling that SA will make a song and dance about it. icc te abar apeal tapeal koira falate pare:sick::mad:
No way, it was legal according to the book of rule.

FagunerAgun
February 23, 2008, 09:38 AM
So, we will see more Doosrafuls. This is hillarious, bud. :lol::lol:

Roni_uk
February 23, 2008, 09:43 AM
we dont we do more bowling like these? Confuse all batsman and make them give up ;)

AB said.. " I had never been caught out in such a manner in my career" .. says it all! :)

jisaan
February 23, 2008, 09:54 AM
De Villiers will be known as "DOUBLE-FUL":-D:-D

reyme
February 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
SAD but I dont see a thread with"was Rafiq out?"

jisaan
February 23, 2008, 10:12 AM
This is what cricinfo says:

the Laws say that if the ball bounces more than twice before reaching the batsman, the umpires shall deem it a no-ball. In this case, the ball bounced twice which deems the dismissal legitimate. Here's the law

Law 24: Ball bouncing more than twice or rolling along the ground:
The umpire at the bowler's end shall call and signal No ball if a ball which he considers to have been delivered, without having previously touched the bat or person of the striker,

lamisa
February 23, 2008, 10:17 AM
man this ashraful is something.nije nije notun shot invent kore jeigula joldii khub popular hoye jay r ibar notun bowling style.WOW!i would love to see more of this from him(if possible)!!!:-D

Ishtylish cricketer
February 23, 2008, 10:43 AM

Nice word. It would have been punished on any other surface...I laughed at that out for 10 minutes.

bulbul_fan
February 23, 2008, 11:05 AM
yes it is!

de Villiers's bizarre dismissal

Cricinfo staff

February 23, 2008

AB de Villiers: dismissed in bizarre circumstances in the first innings in Mirpur © AFP

In what was the talking point of the second day's play, AB de Villiers was adjudged out despite the ball pitching twice before reaching him.

After miscuing an attempted pull back to an equally surprised Mohammad Ashraful, de Villiers stood his ground, convinced that he wasn't out. Many in the visiting dressing room shared his confidence. But after taking his own sweet time over the decision, Steve Bucknor sent de Villiers towards the pavilion.

Bucknor has been in the news for the wrong reasons for a while now, but this time he was clearly in the right. Law 24, section 6 states that the umpire shall call a no-ball only if it bounce more than twice before reaching the popping crease. The shocker that Ashraful tossed up bounced only twice, making it a perfectly legal, though extremely bizarre, dismissal.

Graeme Smith, sitting with a few of his team-mates behind the boundary line, didn't hide his displeasure at the decision. de Villiers, who was batting on 46, began his walk back to the pavilion after having a word with the umpires.

However, de Villiers later admitted he knew the Law. "I was aware of the rule but I was hoping for someone to call it a no-ball or whatever," he said. "It is the first time in my career that I have been dismissed

AsifTheManRahman
February 23, 2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not too sure what the Saffers were complaining about right after the dismissal, because it looked pretty valid to me. Sure it was crazy, but there' was nothing wrong with it. Perhaps the street cricket rule that we have in many countries that requires the second bounce to be inside the batter's crease was the source of their confusion?

wiseshah
February 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
man this ashraful is something.nije nije notun shot invent kore jeigula joldii khub popular hoye jay r ibar notun bowling style.WOW!i would love to see more of this from him(if possible)!!!:-D

ha ha. i like ur observation lamisa

One World
February 23, 2008, 01:18 PM
:floor::floor:

Doosraful

Thanks to DJ Sahastra inventing the term in Match Thread. :)

Electrequiem
February 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks to DJ Sahastra inventing the term in Match Thread. :)

LOL really? I could have sworn it was me in the match chat. :D

Shobha
February 23, 2008, 02:11 PM
LOL really? I could have sworn it was me in the match chat. :D

yeah i'm pretty sure it was you aswell...hmm.

exotic
February 23, 2008, 03:26 PM
batsman who couldnt hit a ball bounce twice shouldnt be allowed to stay in crease and thats should be included in the roles.

...........And perhaps shouldn't be allowed to bat in the entire match:-D. And that has been a jotil name "Doosraful". And people who are trying to undermining this new ball, should remember this ball indeed pose much more threat than any conventional ball, because batsman is decieved here twice by length and twice by flight, and if you don't believe ask ABCDe, he will confirm. And I expect to see Murali and Kumble mastering this new art very soon.

Nocturnal
February 23, 2008, 03:44 PM
[বাংলা]<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="621"><tbody><tr><td class="dotbb" height="30" valign="top" width="508">অদ্ভূত আউটে বিস্মিত ডি ভিলিয়ার্স</td> <td class="dotbb" valign="top" width="54">http://www.bdnews24.com/image/print.gif
</td> <td class="dotbb" valign="top" width="54">http://www.bdnews24.com/image/email.gif
</td> </tr> <tr valign="middle"> <td colspan="3" class="ddate" height="29">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> ঢাকা, ২৩ ফেব্র"য়ারি (বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম) --- ধারাভাষ্যকার কেপলার ওয়েসেলস তো এবি ডি ভিলিয়ার্সকে নট আউট বলেই ঘোষণা করে দিলেন। মোহাম্মদ আশরাফুলের দুই বাউন্সের ডেলিভারিতে ডি ভিলিয়ার্স আউট হওয়ার পর অবশ্য তার সঙ্গী ধারাভাষ্যকার লক্ষণ শিবরাম কৃষ্ণান নিশ্চুপই ছিলেন। বুদ্ধিমানের কাজই করেছেন বটে!

শনিবার ওয়ারিদ সিরিজের প্রথম টেস্টের দ্বিতীয় দিনের মধ্যাহ্ন বিরতির সময় ধারাভাষ্য কক্ষ থেকে লিফটে নীচে নামার সময় ভারতের এই সাবেক লেগস্পিনার বলছিলেন, "আমি নিশ্চিত ছিলাম না বলে সেসময় চুপ ছিলাম।" ততক্ষণে অবশ্য জটিল ক্রিকেট আইনের অন্ধকার থেকে বেরিয়ে এসেছেন সবাই। স্টিভ বাকনরও যে ভুল সিদ্ধান্ত দেননি, বরং ক্রিকেটের ২৪ নম্বর আইনের ছয় ধারা মেনেছেন, সেটাও জানা হয়ে গেছে সবার। নিজের কথাটা গেলা ছাড়া কোনো উপায়ই ছিল না দক্ষিণ আফ্রিকার সাবেক অধিনায়কের।

অবশ্য এই আইনটা জানা ছিল না অদ্ভুত আউটের শিকার ডি ভিলিয়ার্সেরও। দ্বিতীয় দিনের শেষে সংবাদ সম্মেলনে এসে বললেন, "এই নিয়মটা আমিও জানতাম না। আমি আশা করছিলাম কেউ একজন এসে এটাকে নো বল কিংবা এ জাতীয় কিছু একটা বলবে।" অপেক্ষায় থেকে এরপর স্কয়ার লেগ আম্পায়ার আলীম দারের শরণাপন্ন হওয়ার পর যা শুনেছেন, তাও লুকোলেন না, "জিজ্ঞেস করার পর আমাকে বলা হলো যে দুবারের বেশি বাউন্সে বল গেলে তবেই ওটাকে নো কল করা যেত।"

তবে এভাবে আউট হওয়াটা যে তিনি মেনে নিতে পারছেন না, তাও বেশ বোঝা গেল ডি ভিলিয়ার্সের কথায়, "এমনকি পপিং ক্রিজের আগে দুবার বাউন্স খেয়ে আসা বলে একজন বোলার উইকেট পাচ্ছে, বিষয়টাকে অনৈতিকই মনে হয় আমার। আমি আউট হতে পারি না, সেসময় আমার এটাই মনে হচ্ছিল। খুবই বিরল আউট এটা।"

বিরল তো বটেই। না হলে কী আর ওই আউটের পর পরই ক্রিকেটের বিচিত্র বেশ কিছু আউটের লম্বা এক তালিকা ওয়েবসাইটে তুলে দেয় ক্রিকইনফো! বাংলাদেশের কোচ জেমি সিডন্সও তো স্বীকার করলেন, "আমার জীবনে এরকম আউট আর দেখিনি।"
[/বাংলা]

Sovik
February 23, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'm not too sure what the Saffers were complaining about right after the dismissal, because it looked pretty valid to me. Sure it was crazy, but there' was nothing wrong with it. Perhaps the street cricket rule that we have in many countries that requires the second bounce to be inside the batter's crease was the source of their confusion?

de villers was their only hope and thats why they were complaining.

ripon
February 23, 2008, 05:01 PM
although many of u's will say it was out, realisticly he wasnt i think if you look at the video, bounced twice then hit by him within 0.2 seconds. but whatever it was - it was OUT!!!

Kabir
February 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
According to the rule, it's legitimate.

Now, whether it's logically correct or not, that's a different story.

When dealing with diplomatic situations like this, it's always better to refer to the rule. And so, for now...HELL YEA HE WAS OUT!

Nasif
February 23, 2008, 05:13 PM
although many of u's will say it was out, realisticly he wasnt i think if you look at the video, bounced twice then hit by him within 0.2 seconds. but whatever it was - it was OUT!!!

Everyone knows it bounced twice. Scroll up this thread, you will see many have posted the the cricket law regarding this. Laws of cricket says bouncing twice is a legal delivery. Thus he was out.

Rifat
February 23, 2008, 05:20 PM
anyways, thanks to ALLAH, that was a very important wicket :)

zainab
February 23, 2008, 05:41 PM
This has been the most exciting moment in this test match, this will be talked about a lot, and who did it, no other than the Eid boy Ashraful, he perfected the Ashraful shot, so many batsmen are trying this shot, but no one can execute it as elegantly as him.
Ash admitted that it was not intentionally done by him, it slipped out of his hand, kept low and did the double bounce. He probably could not anticipate that ABDV would hit it, and for his luck, he caught it. He knew about the rule, that's why he appealed and got the wicket, thus breaking that partnership that was looking dangerous.
I think somehow that Ash has a guardian angel near to him, anyone remember when he batted in the Natwest series against England, the ball hit the top of the stumps and did not dislodge it, I call it divine intervention. He went on to blast 92 runs off those fast bowlers, and entertain thecrowd.

Hasib
February 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
6. Ball bouncing more than twice or rolling along the ground

:-D

This is stated in law 24 of the cricket rules...

http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-24-no-ball,50,AR.html

heh i was going to post that... but yeah we deserved that wicket:big_hug:

al-Sagar
February 24, 2008, 10:39 PM

the out now has no controversy. the SA didnot know the rule that a ball can bounce twice.

so ICC should take action against them as they came to play without learning the rules

darito90
February 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
Doosraful (Bangla: দুছরাফুল, doo-srah-fool) refers to Mohammad Ashraful's bizarre delivery that got AB de Villiers out on day the second day of Bangladesh vs. South Africa test (February 22, 2008). The delivery is unique due to the fact that the ball bounced twice on the pitch before de Villiers hit it. According to the Laws of Cricket a ball bouncing more than twice must be declared no ball. As the "Doosraful" delivery bounces only two times, it is a completely legal delivery.

This is the only instance in modern day cricket where a ball was bowled with two bounces.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doosraful