PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have selectors???

Rommel
February 25, 2008, 03:18 PM
Why do we have selectors? In most sports, the coach picks who plays. Why is it not like that in cricket? Coach Jamie Siddons knows a lot more about what players we need to be successful than the clueless guys we have now. So why can't the coach select his team?

Fazal
February 25, 2008, 03:24 PM
The selectors are suppoded to select the final 14/15 (with consultation with the coach). The coach is supposed to select the final 11 (with consultation with the captain).

To me the issue is not the role and responsibility of the selectors and the coach, rather the selection of the qualified selectors that is creating the problems here.

Rommel
February 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
If the selectors are picking the Final 15 with the consultation of the coach, shouldn't the coach just go ahead and pick the squad himself?

Fazal
February 25, 2008, 03:30 PM
Coach may have some specific requirement or some specific recommendation about some palyers, but over all he may not know about all the players that deserve a slot.

When the selectors invite 20+ players. Bases on their performance in the training based and coach's feedback, they are supposed to select 14/15 players.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with this process.

WarWolf
February 25, 2008, 03:32 PM
Q1. Why do we have selectors???
Ans. to the Q1
To give us bamboo. Mane bash deya ar ki.

auntu
February 26, 2008, 06:01 AM
Thakte hoi,
'meet the press' program korte hoi

Sohel
February 26, 2008, 06:06 AM
Personally, I support having the coach select and delvelop his players, assisted by a team of scouts and specialized coaches he/she is responsible for.

As far as the current 'process' is concerned, I think it's more important to develop a transparent and reasonable system before selecting competent and accountable selectors. If we don't, we'll remain hostage to their arbitrary whims and biases no matter how 'qualified' they are. System first, people who run it second.

sharifk
February 26, 2008, 09:32 AM
Personally, I support having the coach select and delvelop his players, assisted by a team of scouts and specialized coaches he/she is responsible for.

As far as the current 'process' is concerned, I think it's more important to develop a transparent and reasonable system before selecting competent and accountable selectors. If we don't, we'll remain hostage to their arbitrary whims and biases no matter how 'qualified' they are. System first, people who run it second.

Nicely put...

btw as much as i like siddons to pick his team, it will be too much to ask from a coach....it also will take his attention away from coaching the team...

can i please also point to an old thread that i had started a while back regarding the selection process?

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22518

lamisa
February 26, 2008, 11:03 AM
we have selectors so that they can select players during the initial level or else selecting players in primary level is too big an ask from a coach.Problem is we do not have good selectors.I WANT BULBUL AS A SELECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

akabir77
February 26, 2008, 12:06 PM
Selection will never be fair. A Capatain will always try to pick the players he think is best (may be to some others he is not), same goes for the coach, for the management. We fans can't even decide on 11. So how do you even think the people whos job r in line will do that? I mean if i am captain i might pick Jr. over SN thinking i need 20 runs from 80 balls where as JS might think i need that 20 from 20 balls. So how do you decide which is the 11 that EVERY BODY in the world will love. that will never happen.

I know WAkram was picked from the nets. Now if there was a well defined rules like players that will be selected have to have this avg in local game this avg in 1st class and etc than WA would have never seen the light of National Cricket...