PDA

View Full Version : hallmark of irresponsibilities

BanCricFan
February 28, 2008, 09:31 AM
The U-19 World Cup is over for Bangladesh cubs and, more so, it has ended in a pathetic manner. Although, this side was touted as one of the best in U19 circuit both by the pundits and fans alike. Prior to the YWC, they won a number of ODI Series both at home and away against very strong outfits - Pakistan, notably- to give credance to their tag 'the team to watch out for'. In my opinion, this side was just as good, if not better, than the last two sides which represented Bangladesh in the last two editions of the Youth World Cup- in terms of talent at least. So, why such a meek and ugly capitulation at the World Cup?

Well, there were ample ' writing on the wall' for those of us followed the progress of the young Tigers over the last twelve months! Talent alone is not enough to succeed at the highest level of any domain. Success is not solely dependent upon talent. To achive the desired result, 'talent' needs to be harnessed, honed, nurtured, sustained, persevered, managed over a period of time with a clear long-term plan of vision. Any talent without a goal, plan or vision rendered simply worthless. This is, exactly, where Bangladesh management has displayed utter irresponsibility and unprofessionalism through absence of any long-term vision or working towards a plan. Some of you might find this criticism to be harsh...I would beg to differ!

They never had any long-term vision as to how they are going to go about achiving the result. Batting line-up was never settled, although, the team was under their charge for more than a year. After playing 7/8 Series, out of nowhere and just before the major tournament, they draft in three batsmen as a stop-gap measure!They kept tinkering with the most important opening position till the very last second of the tourney...Ashraful Aziz, Hamidul Islam, Rony, Shaikat, Majumdar...all have been shoved in as a make-shift opener. They couldn't find one opener over a 12 months period?! Has it been the case of 'why bother' as we are winning so many matches! Even by looking at Rony Talukdar's opening stats, this armchair pundit realised that Rony is no opener and it took them a year to fathom this!

What makes the management's unprofessionalism and irresponsibility even more transparent is the abrupt withdrawal of Marshal Ayyub from the squad at the 11th hour. Is it that they became aware of his age just before boarding the plane to Malaysia? ...And, why Iftikhar Nayeem was not added to the squad when Jodu, Modhu and Kodu were being drafted in?

India are well on their way of winning this tourney -barring Pakistan and what Pakistan does best- because of long-term planning and having a well settled batting lineup over a long period of time where each batsman knows their role. We crashed out miserably not because of any lack of talent but our batsmen were not settled in their positions and didn't know their roles- simple as that!

Miraz
February 28, 2008, 09:43 AM
Timely piece, a bit harsh on some points.

No U-19 player is Jodu Modu or Kodu, IMHO. They all had previous records of participating in different age groups.

Please check your PM

cricman
February 28, 2008, 09:44 AM
We could have sent Tamim and Mushifiq and win the World Cup but what would that proven? It's not that important to win the U-19 WC. Pakistan have dominated the U-19 sides for about a decade now and none of them have made a real impact in the senior side. Aside from India's U-19 a few who have made an impact to the Senior team is only because there Domestic system is Top 3 in the world along with Australia and England, so they get to prove them selves against quality opposition, see a certain Ishant Sharma.

But I do agree Management messed up, what else are you to expect from these group of officals.

sadi
February 28, 2008, 09:50 AM
Great post and totally agree with all the points. My observation:

1. They were burned out. They played way too many games before the World Cup.

2. Too many changes. They changed the wicketkeeper in the very last second. Mithun was keeping all this time and all of a sudden, Ashiq was the keeper. That move worked out for them initially but still doesn't make sense to me. Same thing goes with opening which BanCricFan mentioned already. There wasn't any stability in the batting order. Seriously, noone knew who our opening pair is in this tournament. Ajke Roni, kalke Mithun, porsu Nadimuddin. Not a good thing.

sadi
February 28, 2008, 09:52 AM
We didn't need Tamim or Mushfiq to do well. We had a good enough team to compete I believe. However, the way team management burnt them out and utilized them is the concern. There was no continuity. If the management don't know how to bring the best out of a young cricketer and use him properly, how are they suppose to groom them for the future? We really miss McInns here.

BanCricFan
February 28, 2008, 10:10 AM
We could have sent Tamim and Mushifiq and win the World Cup but what would that proven? It's not that important to win the U-19 WC. .

It wasn't actually about winning the tourney but to outline the importance of long-term planning, work ethics and professionalism or the lack of it in BD management. The same would have applied had BD went on to win the Tourney!

WarWolf
February 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
A timely and reasonable post. I think BanCricFan you should write a complete article on this topic and a well written article is definitely a front page candidate.

Tigers_eye
February 28, 2008, 10:18 AM
There are many reason that can be pointed as why we failed.

Unsettled batting lineup was there because no one was consistant. every 30, 40 score was followed by multiple single digit scores. Finding an opener is not that easy. See Pakistan Senior side. How many years have passed and they can't find an opening pair. How many?? So blaming admin for not finding an opening pair within two years is not the way to go. If the players are not consistant, there will be changes, we need to live with it. Both Indian and Pakistani u-19 batting line up has consistant top order that is why there wasn't much change. Now drafting three new players before the prize tournament caught me off guard too. The management must have known something that we didn't.

Bowlers with indisipline bowling hurt us. Even against Australia in three overs there was 10 extra runs. These gifts did hurt us against stronger oppositions. After so many practice matches, so many games at Malaysia if the players can't perform then we must conclude, we are not as good as we thought.

Marshall A didn't play against WI series. So it wasn't as BCF dramatised on not boarding the Malaysia bound plane in the last minute.

BanCricFan
February 28, 2008, 10:25 AM
Miraz,
You're right no BD players are a Jodu, Modhu or Kodu....I used the idiom just as a figure of speech. Its not any BD players fault if they are shoved in at the deep end without any pre-caution...i do understand this.:)

Sadi,
Thanks. I would differ with you that they were burnt out...perhaps, one Series too many, at worst. Batsmen should never complain playing too much at this level and bowlers were not exactly bowling 22 overs-a-day spells either. One must give credit to the management though that they have had managed the rotation of the pace trio well. At this level (16+), you have to play as much as possible with due care, of course.

lamisa
February 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
great post.i guess our players got too carried away

zainab
February 28, 2008, 10:34 AM
Great post and totally agree with all the points. My observation:

1. They were burned out. They played way too many games before the World Cup.
2. Too many changes. They changed the wicketkeeper in the very last second. Mithun was keeping all this time and all of a sudden, Ashiq was the keeper. That move worked out for them initially but still doesn't make sense to me. Same thing goes with opening which BanCricFan mentioned already. There wasn't any stability in the batting order. Seriously, noone knew who our opening pair is in this tournament. Ajke Roni, kalke Mithun, porsu Nadimuddin. Not a good thing.

I agree! winning so many games against strong teams made them complacent against SA and they crashed. Too many changes do not help, it makes matters worse as is clearly shown here. Players should know their place in the batting line up before the tour, should not have changed wicketkeepers in midstream. Coach and selectors are to be blamed here. anyhow, they did well to be the leader in the group.

sadi
February 28, 2008, 11:13 AM
Lets just look at how many games they played since the end of Nov:

5 OD and 1 Test against Pak-19
5 OD against Sri-19
2 Test against SA-19
5 OD against Ind-19 and SA-19
3 OD against Nep-19
4 OD against WI-19

Ofcourse, we are the fans and we want the players to keep playing and learning. But after playing all these games plus practice and travel, I have no doubts in my minds they were tired. Really tired.

Eshen
February 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
What makes the management's unprofessionalism and irresponsibility even more transparent is the abrupt withdrawal of Marshal Ayyub from the squad at the 11th hour. Is it that they became aware of his age just before boarding the plane to Malaysia?
That was a farcical decision. My guess is that clowns in BCB were not aware how thorough the age verification would be for this tournament, and were thinking they could slip in an overaged player like they regularly did in previous occasions.

auntu
February 28, 2008, 02:21 PM
There r 8 stuff with BD team, a bit too many? The coach should be a foreign Aussie/SA/ SL all respect to fahim still prob he didn't click or nannu as batting coach ....

BanCricFan
February 28, 2008, 03:48 PM
A timely and reasonable post. I think BanCricFan you should write a complete article on this topic and a well written article is definitely a front page candidate.

Thanks WereWolf! I have asked Miraz to give it a finnishing touch- if he wills. :-)