PDA

View Full Version : Defensive mindset... are we really playing test matches?

sadi
February 29, 2008, 08:57 AM
It was quite disappointing to see Bangladesh going on to backfoot from the very beginning. For the first time in my life, I see a bowler bowling with a deep point, deep square leg, deep fine leg in the first day early morning. What was Ash thinking? I know he was disappointed not to bat in this pitch but hey.... you have to pick up wickets now and do your job as a fielding unit. They looked disinterested, lethergic. Smith and McKenzie were picking up singles from the very beginning in a wide spread defensive field. I felt like I was watching a odi match in the middle overs.

Mashrafee and Shahadat were bowling in low 120s most of the early session. I don't know what happened later on since I decided not to watch this joke. We could've easily got Forhad or Rasel if that's the pace they were to bowl at. Seriously.... atleast Forhad would give us some runs and Rasel will bowl with some heart. Our players showed no heart or brain today. I am embarrassed and wouldn't be surprised if Smith breaks Lara's record tomorrow.

SS
February 29, 2008, 09:02 AM
I agree with you Mr. Saadi.
Records will be broken, our hearts will be tattered, Smith will reach his triple could be more and they will declare scoring 600+. We are not playing test cricket, as our players know they are getting paid and will remain in the team. BD cricket is true picture of our nation as a whole. It will take years may be decades if we have this sort of mentality. We have not improved a bit in last eight years.

sadi
February 29, 2008, 09:08 AM
I don't mind if it's the matter of ability. But when they show no heart, that's when I feel cheated. They had no interest playing this game, it felt like. They were scared and set up a defensive field. Now South Africa will score their runs if we let them milk the bowling. You have to pick up the wickets. That's common sense. If our captain or even the team management don't have that sense, what are we doing here? Bowling 120k in the first hour with two slips and three fielders in boundary line, give me a break.

Ajfar
February 29, 2008, 09:21 AM
talk abt improvement??? yeaa righttttt....

Baundule
February 29, 2008, 09:42 AM
I tell you guys, please be more positive. InshaAllah we will score 300+ in our 2nd innings. Ashrafool will score a 29 ball fifty. That's someting you have got to take as positives from the match.

Btw, did we really play any match that did not give us any positives? Someone must be stealing our positives away, otherwise, you know, accumulating all those...

Miraz
February 29, 2008, 09:43 AM
I tell you guys, please be more positive. InshaAllah we will score 300+ in our 2nd innings. Ashrafool will score a 29 ball fifty. That's someting you have got to take as positives from the match.

Btw, did we really play any match that did not give us any positives? Someone must be stealing our positives away, otherwise, you know, accumulating all those...

Welcome back baundule. Where have you been all these days??

Miraz
February 29, 2008, 09:44 AM
Agreed with Sadi, we allowed the South African openers to settle by giving away easy singles at the start of the match.

Poor field setting and unimaginative captaincy from Ashraful.

Baundule
February 29, 2008, 09:48 AM
Welcome back baundule. Where have you been all these days??
Miraz bhai, thanks. Passing very busy time. And of course, I have lost my interest in BD cricket. The emotion factor is gone.

sadi
February 29, 2008, 09:54 AM
Locker room distractions don't help either. Rafique could've criticized the selectors and the team management after this game. Dropping Bashar was quite a big decision too and it should've been done before the series started.

lamisa
February 29, 2008, 09:56 AM
i m just too disappointed in the curator and the bowlers to say anything.mash was the cheapest tho today but still his body language was sooo hopeless!:(:(

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 10:14 AM
team selection was all wrong. we needed rassell or reza for this one and raakaak is a joke. why rn't we working on another kind of spin bowlers quickly?

cricket_pagol
February 29, 2008, 10:23 AM
Rasel would have been very useful in this pitch, i think they went with Razzak because the general perception is that SA is weaker against the spin bowlers...

sadi
February 29, 2008, 10:31 AM
Pathetic captaincy and Siddons has to take some heat. I know he can't go out and play for the players but he could've instructed Ash to be a little more positive from the beginning. These sort of body language is not acceptable at all. I think some of the players are getting too comfortable knowing that Siddons want to stick with this team for a while. Beter bari chara kaj hoyna...

Fazal
February 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
I think some of the players are getting too comfortable knowing that Siddons want to stick with this team for a while. Beter bari chara kaj hoyna...

To the point. Thats the problem we had, thats the problem we will continue to have in future. I agree we need to stick with same group of players for a while, but it shouldn't be 11, it should be somewhere 22 so that every position has some kind of competetion. Bangaleee chalu public... aram pailay kosto keno korbey? ... No competetion.... Nakey Sorishar tel deyee Nak dakbey.

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 11:13 AM
Bangladesh is not in a place where they can rely too much on toss. The game plan was pitch would be good for batting for two days then it will start spinning. Now in my mind This plan will work only if bd wins the toss. Like i said yesterday this will happen even before the start of the TEST.
We actually need under prepared Pitch like the Dhaka pitch. Our batsmen will score 180/190 no matter how good the pitches r (example they did that in NZ in flat pitch and they will do that in Chittagong too). So we need to prepare a pitch that will make sure the visitor doesn't score more than 300. And to be able to do that we need a bowling pitch where spin will start from day one.

The sooner we get this inside our head the sooner we will be competitive like dhaka TEST.

One thing we have to remember even with the pitch there would be some players who will stand up and score a big. But still it shouldn't be that easy like chittagong Pitch.

Fazal
February 29, 2008, 11:24 AM
To summarize akabir's comment, we are still in 'Jodi laigga Jai' mode and therefore we have more chance to hit the jack-pot if the pitch condition is 'unusual'. We are not readay yet to play strong opponent in predictable field.

So kudos to Belal Bhai for creating unpredictable pitch. He deserve a apology from Ash and some fans. Belel was helping Ash... beta Ash bhujlo na...

Belal is more smarter than some of you guys think....

sadi
February 29, 2008, 11:30 AM
Belal is more smarter than some of you guys think....

He is definitely smarter than our captain.... :D

sadi
February 29, 2008, 11:31 AM
We actually need under prepared Pitch like the Dhaka pitch. Our batsmen will score 180/190 no matter how good the pitches r (example they did that in NZ in flat pitch and they will do that in Chittagong too). So we need to prepare a pitch that will make sure the visitor doesn't score more than 300. And to be able to do that we need a bowling pitch where spin will start from day one.

Very good point indeed. Sad but true...

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 11:32 AM
Belal Bhai zindabad.

Ash tumer chamra
Khuley nibo amra

zainab
February 29, 2008, 11:34 AM
I dread to think what will be the outcome of this match. This performance has toally blown me away.

Fazal
February 29, 2008, 11:38 AM
The result is already written in the face of our players... another innings defeat and the game will be over by early 4th day.

however the team's stategy (from day one) to go beyound 3rd day will be successful though.

al Furqaan
February 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
BD cricket is true picture of our nation as a whole. It will take years may be decades if we have this sort of mentality. We have not improved a bit in last eight years.

can't agree with the last statement, but i'll agree wholeheartedly with the first two. absolutely disgusted with the idiots in the land of my origin right now (and this is more than just cricket).

:hairpull::head:

DJ Sahastra
February 29, 2008, 11:59 AM
Guys,

Pls save our record for the first wicket. It's all in your hands now.

Spitfire_x86
February 29, 2008, 12:06 PM
Guys,

If you guys made the record against a better team, then I could care a little :)

sadi
February 29, 2008, 12:12 PM
Guys,

It was India's record all this time? Forget it then... we will make sure it is broken. :)

sadi
February 29, 2008, 12:14 PM
If you guys made the record against a better team, then I could care a little :)

Not really. They scored it against New Zealand when New Zealand was dudhvat.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=500 bgColor=white border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD>413</TD><TD>MH Mankad</TD><TD>Pankaj Roy</TD><TD>NZ </TD><TD>Madras (Corp)</TD><TD>1955-56</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Beamer
February 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
They thought just by showing up and flipping the coin, they will win the toss, decide to bat and put on a decent score. But, that doesn't work that way always. You have a 50% chance to lose the toss. Once we lost the toss, and after a few overs on the field, it was apparent that the pitch has nothing for the bowlers, at least on the first two days, specially for a team stacked with spinners. Shoulders dropped quickly!

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 12:21 PM
Not really. They scored it against New Zealand when New Zealand was dudhvat.

<table bgcolor="white" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="500"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#e5e5e5"><td>413</td><td>MH Mankad</td><td>Pankaj Roy</td><td>NZ </td><td>Madras (Corp)</td><td>1955-56</td></tr></tbody></table>

Exactly. Nz was a very bad team. and its only fair that another bad team takes the beating...

Rabz
February 29, 2008, 12:24 PM
Its all a big joke.
Enough said.

DJ Sahastra
February 29, 2008, 12:36 PM

We have 410 runs record against Pakistan with attack comprising Shoaib, Asif, Kaneria and Co.

I am not sure if that qualifies as a better team though :).

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
We have 410 runs record against Pakistan with attack comprising Shoaib, Asif, Kaneria and Co.

And....... wait for it...........

Its not the record...:D

djnaved
February 29, 2008, 12:56 PM
after watching a mindbolwing game night, i think ash is the poorest, not-thinking, stupid, shamest, unorganized captain of all time:hairpull:

Bashar was the best captain i beleive now

I hate hate hate Ash, even if he scores a century in 1st innings:mad:

sadi
February 29, 2008, 01:01 PM
I would be surprised if they pass 200 in their first innings.

DJ Sahastra
February 29, 2008, 02:04 PM
And....... wait for it...........

Its not the record...:D

Akabir,

IIRC, the first one involved more than 2 batsman (one retired hurt and coming back later). The next one (410) is the only one involving 2 batsman.

gunda
February 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
AGREE with every1 100%

..This is pure joke!!

Eshen
February 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
Pathetic captaincy and Siddons has to take some heat. I know he can't go out and play for the players but he could've instructed Ash to be a little more positive from the beginning. These sort of body language is not acceptable at all. I think some of the players are getting too comfortable knowing that Siddons want to stick with this team for a while. Beter bari chara kaj hoyna...
That's my feeling too. Siddons needs to stop pampering those guys.

gunda
February 29, 2008, 02:20 PM
these players are getting paid regardless of their performence n they know that.. they don't even get droped from squad even if they are not performing etc (mushfiqur) so they cudn't care less if we win or lose..
we need a strict coach..am sorry but it looks like siddons just a yes man.

Padosan
February 29, 2008, 02:41 PM
I wonder, why doesn't BD prepare turning wickets for home games when low and slow turn is BD's bowling strength ??

Therez nothing wrong, Aussie gives you fast bouncy tracks, SL India/Pak suits their wickets for their needs and why not BD ??

when BD is learning its first steps in Test matches it wont be unfair to let them have some wins or close games/draws in their kind of wickets. It will just boost up the morale of the youngsters and the fans. We can handle our away tours when we get there, nothing wrong in winning all the home games for a decade and losing games away. Atleast BD will be tigers at home.

If BD keeps giving these flat tracks, world cricket is full of bullies. it will be 600/no loss in another year.

I blame it squarely on the curators.

Lets face it, on a batsmen friendly flat tracks SA will bully most other test playing nations, let alone BD. why not give BD some advantage with their kind of tracks then.

cheers !
Padosan

Miraz
February 29, 2008, 02:46 PM
Padosan, exactly my thought and I have said it many times. If we can't make full use of our home condition, we will never progress in Test cricket.

Curators are simply incompetent.

Shobha
February 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
i didnt get a chance to watch what was thought to be 'torture' as i had college. but looking at statistics i've come to know that mckenzie cannot hit a ton. so was our bowling attack that woeful or was bucknor upto his old tricks again. beacuse looking at that score, i feel that he must've given about 500 decisions aganst us:-|

Eshen
February 29, 2008, 03:48 PM
Padosan, exactly my thought and I have said it many times. If we can't make full use of our home condition, we will never progress in Test cricket.

Curators are simply incompetent.
According to some news reports, Ashraful bolod wanted a more batting friendly wicket than Mirpur was. So, looks like incompetency lies more with the captain and the management than with the curator.

Here is an ittefaq report - http://www.ittefaq.com/content/2008/03/01/news0996.htm

Spitfire_x86
February 29, 2008, 03:55 PM

I was referring to the record of opening partnership, which wasn't made in that match.

SA will have more credit, at least they're doing it away from home :)

Murad
February 29, 2008, 03:57 PM
I read in some news after the Mirpur TEst that AShraful wanted a pitch which will help both batsmen and bowlers. He didn't say he wants a batting paradise.

He didn't want a pitch like this. Our main weapon is spin bowling but we made a pitch which will not help any of the bowlers till day 3.

This is the same pitch where Gillespi scored a double century being a nightwatchman. But the curator didn't learn anything from the past. It was the same curator. Actually nobody does. Players to sweeper, all are same.

Our bowlers are also guilty of bowling crap in the beginning. In this type of pitch, you have to bowl faster with good line and length. Not like what Mash & Rajib bowled.

We needed Enamul who can turn the ball better than anyone else. He's kind of attacking. Do you guys remember the match against Australia at Fatullah? He was more dangerous than Rafique. But unfortunately got injured and couldn't bowl much in the 2nd innings.

pocha
February 29, 2008, 03:59 PM
According to some news reports, Ashraful bolod wanted a more batting friendly wicket than Mirpur was. So, looks like incompetency lies more with the captain and the management than with the curator.

Here is an ittefaq report - http://www.ittefaq.com/content/2008/03/01/news0996.htm

Just not Ash even Jamie Siddons wanted a pitch like that. Why blame the curators now?

Incompetent team dont have any faith in their abilities, yes ONLY miracles can change this attitude and thats what they believe.

Eshen
February 29, 2008, 04:03 PM
I read in some news after the Mirpur TEst that AShraful wanted a pitch which will help both batsmen and bowlers. He didn't say he wants a batting paradise.
So Ashraful wanted a "Sonar Pathorbati" ! How is it humanely possible to make a pitch that will help the bowlers and batsmen at the same time ?

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 04:12 PM

Its going to become a bowling pitch when bd will start their batting...

Nachtey na janley uthon baka...

Murad
February 29, 2008, 04:12 PM
So Ashraful wanted a "Sonar Pathorbati" ! How is it humanely possible to make a pitch that will help the bowlers and batsmen at the same time ?

Remember the wickets in Fatullah Stadium?

rubel_18
February 29, 2008, 04:18 PM
i didnt get a chance to watch what was thought to be 'torture' as i had college. but looking at statistics i've come to know that mckenzie cannot hit a ton. so was our bowling attack that woeful or was bucknor upto his old tricks again. beacuse looking at that score, i feel that he must've given about 500 decisions aganst us:-|

Na I am afraid its not Bucknors fault its our whole teams spirit and the captains field settings, it was just so poor. I left it at just before lunch and went to sleep. Then I wake up and 405/0 and I was in total shock, I just cudnt believe it. No point watching the match until BD start batting as their bowling wnt be gr8 2 watch on this pitch.:mad:

pocha
February 29, 2008, 04:18 PM
Has anybody seen the field set for the first 1 hour? It shows how defensive mindset the team possesses at present. Dont forget they went with 8 batsman in first test, which is another example of defensive mindset. They just lack the spirit, they are so lethargic in the field and the body language says that they only believe only Miracles can change their fate. The future is ominous if they dont change this mindset and start believing in themselves. I dont care if they win or loose but show some attitude boys. I wont say whether Dav was better or JS is better but atleast in the past we believed in our abilities which lead us to dream BIG. We killed two Giants in the world cup and we never looked so bad earlier.

akabir77
February 29, 2008, 04:22 PM
Akabir,

IIRC, the first one involved more than 2 batsman (one retired hurt and coming back later). The next one (410) is the only one involving 2 batsman.

hey got an idea. Why don't India invite us and reclaim their record?:callme:

pocha
February 29, 2008, 04:30 PM
hey got an idea. Why don't India invite us and reclaim their record?:callme:

Yes, every team will invite us from now on to set new landmarks and new world records. We would be the most wanted team in the future and hey beside every world record we would be writing our name. Is nt that wonderful:-|

exotic
February 29, 2008, 04:30 PM
....SA will have more credit, at least they're doing it away from home :)

IND have done that away from home as well, in Lahore Test.

Fazal
February 29, 2008, 05:04 PM

And I heard somewhere that AShraful wanted a pitch which will ONLY help our batsmen and bowlers but NOT HELP opponent batsmen and bowlers. Beta Belal didn't listen to Ash's request. Beta Belal-re thappor marar dokar, tui keno Ashrafuler kotha shunli na ?

To the point my friend.:up:

djnaved
February 29, 2008, 05:16 PM
I wonder, why doesn't BD prepare turning wickets for home games when low and slow turn is BD's bowling strength ??

Therez nothing wrong, Aussie gives you fast bouncy tracks, SL India/Pak suits their wickets for their needs and why not BD ??

when BD is learning its first steps in Test matches it wont be unfair to let them have some wins or close games/draws in their kind of wickets. It will just boost up the morale of the youngsters and the fans. We can handle our away tours when we get there, nothing wrong in winning all the home games for a decade and losing games away. Atleast BD will be tigers at home.

If BD keeps giving these flat tracks, world cricket is full of bullies. it will be 600/no loss in another year.

I blame it squarely on the curators.

Lets face it, on a batsmen friendly flat tracks SA will bully most other test playing nations, let alone BD. why not give BD some advantage with their kind of tracks then.

cheers !
Padosan

exactly what i was thinking

now after batting and selectors problem, a new problem started..

curator problem:hairpull:

shimraj
February 29, 2008, 05:20 PM
Yes, every team will invite us from now on to set new landmarks and new world records. We would be the most wanted team in the future and hey beside every world record we would be writing our name. Is nt that wonderful:-|
May be BD has adopted this new strategy to attract more invitations from other test playing nations. ;)

reyme
February 29, 2008, 06:58 PM
I agree with you Mr. Saadi.
Records will be broken, our hearts will be tattered, Smith will reach his triple could be more and they will declare scoring 600+. We are not playing test cricket, as our players know they are getting paid and will remain in the team. BD cricket is true picture of our nation as a whole. It will take years may be decades if we have this sort of mentality. We have not improved a bit in last eight years.

100% true. Question: what was aussie coaching staff were doing?

sislam2
February 29, 2008, 07:29 PM
Come on...
Mortaza being 24 or 25..he should be at his peak and he barely can reach 130kph,, he hasn't even reached 80mph in this game.
Even i play in an unknown..unranked league and even our attacking bowlers bowl at 83+mph constant and moves the bowl.
I don't get this????????????

Murad
February 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
after watching a mindbolwing game night, i think ash is the poorest, not-thinking, stupid, shamest, unorganized captain of all time:hairpull:

Bashar was the best captain i beleive now

I hate hate hate Ash, even if he scores a century in 1st innings:mad:

Didn't expect anything better from you anyway.../:)

Valo korle o dosh kharap korle o dosh..

haire bangali... erokom mindset niya thaken bhaijan?? chance paileii ash ke bash kora shuru koren......

crikss
February 29, 2008, 09:19 PM
One more innings defeat..no problem Its our duty :D

djnaved
February 29, 2008, 09:35 PM

haire bangali... erokom mindset niya thaken bhaijan?? chance paileii ash ke bash kora shuru koren......

mia kalke ashraful je captaincy dekhaiche, ami r ki koitam....mejaz kharap hoye geche:mad:. comentattor rao obak tar fielding setup dekhe...r ashraful erokom, ekta matche century marbo tarpor 7 mash biroti dia arekta:-P

arafath79
March 1, 2008, 07:26 AM
Playing only 3 pacers are allready showing the defensive mindset of Bangladesh team. The SA bowlers showed that a fast bowler can get wickets in any condition if the bowler can pitch the ball in the right line with raw pace. I know Bangladesh doesn't have genuine fast bowlers who can bowl around 140-145 kmh. But Shahadat and Mashrafe are quick enough bowlers to bowl around 135-138 kmh but they can't or may be they can't do that on every occassion. I just don't know why they are not trying hard to bowl fast ??? Bowling with the speed of 125-127kmh will give very less chance to get wickets even the bowl is in a good line. Look at Shahadat in the 2nd test match, he had to wait for long time to get those 3 wickets because his bowling speed was not good enough to get some early wickets.

sadi
March 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
I know Bangladesh doesn't have genuine fast bowlers who can bowl around 140-145 kmh. But Shahadat and Mashrafe are quick enough bowlers to bowl around 135-138 kmh but they can't or may be they can't do that on every occassion. I just don't know why they are not trying hard to bowl fast ??? Bowling with the speed of 125-127kmh will give very less chance to get wickets even the bowl is in a good line. Look at Shahadat in the 2nd test match, he had to wait for long time to get those 3 wickets because his bowling speed was not good enough to get some early wickets.

Ditto. Couldn't say it better myself. They can bowl faster but chose not to do so.

One World
March 1, 2008, 01:16 PM
I agree with Padosan. There is nothing harm taking home advantage.
This test should have been in Fatullah.

That could energize the team from the previous matches' spirit.

djnaved
March 1, 2008, 02:22 PM

mia ash ke bash korbo nato ki korbo, world-class batsman kalke 0 te out hoiche:D

DJ Sahastra
March 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
I still maintain - Begum Khaleda Zia nd Begum Sheikh Haseena shoukd open with a strict instruction that their chair depends upon their stay on the wicket.

You'll see a rock-solid partnership full of runners.

al Furqaan
March 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
Ditto. Couldn't say it better myself. They can bowl faster but chose not to do so.

the whole team was in apathy mode...i suspect siddons' comments are at least a contributing factor.

djnaved
March 9, 2008, 04:17 AM

eiber bujchen ami ken eita bolchilam.. ashraful shobshomoy gadhai thakbo..afsos