PDA

View Full Version : Sick of excuses

WarWolf
March 1, 2008, 02:53 PM
I know we are unlucky a little bit. Yet I am sick of these excuses.

"Styren was on fire today".... "Umpiring is not good". .."The batsman was a little bit unlucky to not have the benefit of doubt". ..."We are unlucky to loose the toss". ..."We misjudged the wicket"...

I am sick of these kinda excuses; both from the players and some of the fans. International cricket is not honeymoon period. You gotta face a lot of difficulties. You gotta be tough enough to adopt at this level. There is no room of all these lame excuses even after 8 years in test arena. I am really feeling bad, very bad. We need to break this poor culture. We really need to do it....

sandpiper
March 1, 2008, 03:17 PM
Everybody knows that, except the ones who matter most. :-X

DJ Sahastra
March 1, 2008, 04:21 PM
The "dead pitch" excuse and blame on the curator is the worst i have seen by (surprisingly a few prominent member - with an apology for offending any) over time.

Dead pitches only mean you gotto the play the way BD played on Day-2 and NOT throwing in the towel.

pocha
March 1, 2008, 05:43 PM
The only thing I know is excuses (which we fans have mastered over the years) wont get us anywhere except that it will make us more complacent and slower our overall progress. Anyways this is a very common traits in Bangalis to give excuses starting from getting late to office to finishing work way late in time. One excuse is made to hide another excuse. Still sick of excuse? Doctors/Medicines/Chill PIlls available in plenty in BC to cure you. Anyway just visit forget cricket section, may be that will make you feel a little better mate.

WarWolf
March 1, 2008, 10:51 PM
Happy to see no excuse yesterday. Probably they didn't come to press conference.

Pundit
March 1, 2008, 10:56 PM
They invented para cetamol for all of you sick people.

WarWolf
March 1, 2008, 11:55 PM
They invented para cetamol for all of you sick people.
Paracetamol is hepato-toxic; injurious for liver.;)

Mridul
March 2, 2008, 02:35 AM
The Bottom Line:

Bangladesh Cricket Team is simply not good enough

Rabz
March 2, 2008, 04:58 AM
Yap, we simply are not good enough.
Bottom line.

Dhurr
March 2, 2008, 06:04 AM
Kalke shobai Steyn re niya lafalafi kortesilo. Steyn hen korenga, ten korenga. Bangladeshi batsmen der dosh na; Steyn er bhoyanok bipodjonok 10 nombor moha bipod shonket wala bowling er karone 3 ta wicket porsilo kalke shondha te, supposedly.

Ami bolsilam Steyn na, Kuddus Miya Boyati bowling korle o 3 ta wicket porto. Eita bolar jonne public amar upore khepsilo.

To ajke ki? Ajke Steyn kon rajjo uddhar korse? Ei Peterson bhodai emon ki ahamori bowling kore je or ball khelte jaiya dui raja badsha out hoiya gelo? Ntini ki emon panta bhat khaiya aisha bowling korlo je ore keo khelte pare na?

Amra pari khali ekta jinish. Excuse deya. Hoi coach excuse dei, naile kaptan shab excuse dei, naile player ra excuse dei. Ar tenara keo na dile fan ra excuse dei. Ei hoilo obostha.

djnaved
March 2, 2008, 06:11 AM
Kalke shobai Steyn re niya lafalafi kortesilo. Steyn hen korenga, ten korenga. Bangladeshi batsmen der dosh na; Steyn er bhoyanok bipodjonok 10 nombor moha bipod shonket wala bowling er karone 3 ta wicket porsilo kalke shondha te, supposedly.

Ami bolsilam Steyn na, Kuddus Miya Boyati bowling korle o 3 ta wicket porto. Eita bolar jonne public amar upore khepsilo.

To ajke ki? Ajke Steyn kon rajjo uddhar korse? Ei Peterson bhodai emon ki ahamori bowling kore je or ball khelte jaiya dui raja badsha out hoiya gelo? Ntini ki emon panta bhat khaiya aisha bowling korlo je ore keo khelte pare na?

Amra pari khali ekta jinish. Excuse deya. Hoi coach excuse dei, naile kaptan shab excuse dei, naile player ra excuse dei. Ar tenara keo na dile fan ra excuse dei. Ei hoilo obostha.

best quote of the day:)

BD-Shardul
March 2, 2008, 06:36 AM

Pura hoq kotha koisen bhai.

Sohel
March 2, 2008, 06:38 AM
Let's not confuse FACTS with excuses.

Kuddus Miya Boyati can cut through out batting order like a warm knife through butter on any given day! The glorious CERTAINTIES of our batting ... :notworthy:

PoorFan
March 2, 2008, 06:53 AM
Its time to run away from TEST cricket, I mean it, we had enough.

lamisa
March 2, 2008, 10:05 AM
Happy to see no excuse yesterday. Probably they didn't come to press conference.

actually there were excuses.SN said that it was a flat wicket so the saffers generated bounce which though were not high enough but were keeping to most batsmen's head leve.thus it became hard to face off the balls.whereas due to some reasons,our pacers could not generate them and bla bla bla.what i didnt like about sn's talks were that he had a damn care attitude,like hey maan i have done my job.if the pacers cant help its not my fault nad all.many bd players have it and this is another thing which leads to our downfall.

Anher
March 2, 2008, 10:42 AM
I was watching a funny episode of Jim carrey which remind me bangladesh's excuses after every bad day.
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h_vvI26NnwE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Imtiaz
March 2, 2008, 11:00 AM
I was watching a funny episode of Jim carrey which remind me bangladesh's excuses after every bad day.
<OBJECT height=355 width=425>
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h_vvI26NnwE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></OBJECT>

Every bad day = Every day

WarWolf
March 2, 2008, 11:49 AM
Enough is enough. Feeling myself to be one of those mothers who supports their young kids down to hell like anything and try to hide them and their wicked works from the rest of the world. As a result, those kids get spoiled as they know their moms won't remain angry for a long time and won't throw them away from the house.

I think i won't keep on being soft with these non-sense kids from now on. I gotta be rough enough as they deserve. We failed to teach them anything with soft words. Let's try the other way.

BANFAN
March 2, 2008, 01:02 PM

"Styren was on fire today".... "Umpiring is not good". .."The batsman was a little bit unlucky to not have the benefit of doubt". ..."We are unlucky to loose the toss". ..."We misjudged the wicket"...

I am sick of these kinda excuses; both from the players and some of the fans. International cricket is not honeymoon period. You gotta face a lot of difficulties. You gotta be tough enough to adopt at this level. There is no room of all these lame excuses even after 8 years in test arena. I am really feeling bad, very bad. We need to break this poor culture. We really need to do it....

Truly So.

Most of these boys grow up on a 'Carrot & stick Method' a pure gentleman approach is not good enough. Most of them haven't any sense of esponsibility, Self respect, Ambitions for being so young. Most of them have their aim of life fulfilled by just getting into the national team. Meeting their heroes & tavelling is bonus. They really need a psychologists to mould/stirr their psyche and BCB needs to come hard at them if they are not meeting the standards.

view360
March 2, 2008, 01:13 PM
The money they are receiving from BCB is more like some charity. They deserve this money as much as any false blind begger in the country.

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 01:18 PM
Let's not confuse FACTS with excuses.

Yeah, let's not. The fact is we are just not good enough yet. Our batsmen cannot put up with quality fast bowling, or any bowling for that matter, for too long because they lack the required temperament. These are not excuses but rather facts that continue to make the story of Bangladesh cricket such a tragedy.

WarWolf
March 2, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, let's not. The fact is we are just not good enough yet. Our batsmen cannot put up with quality fast bowling, or any bowling for that matter, for too long because they lack the required temperament. These are not excuses but rather facts that continue to make the story of Bangladesh cricket such a tragedy.
For the first time in my career as a blind Bangladeshi fan, i m feeling helpless and seeing no light.

pocha
March 2, 2008, 01:48 PM
For the first time in my career as a blind Bangladeshi fan, i m feeling helpless and seeing no light.

You must have read the book "How to support your team blindly as a BD cricket fan" for dummies. Even I have. Thats the problem - anything blind is too dangerous, just like blind love. It will mostly end in a crash. Lets continue to support but not blindly. The boys are too relaxed of their places because of this blind love. They need more competition among themselves.

Anyway I am surprised that we are now talking about facts and not excuses. Lets see how long it lasts - my guess not more than 36 hours. I am happy that the coach is at least talking less to the press.

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 01:53 PM

Don't be too disheartened. Something of this sort was highly likely to happen. While we have played test cricket for eight years, we were granted the status a tad early, so that the infrastructure/understanding of the game from a management perspective hasn't developed as fast as our expectations/the notion of where we should have been by now.

It will take some time - a lot of time - to get to a place where we will have strong domestic leagues and be producing more competent players. This generation has, so far, shown the world that on our day(s), we are capable of playing good cricket. We don't know whether they will go as far as, say, winning the world cup or becoming a strong force in test cricket. It might take a whole new generation of cricketers for greater achievements.

But for now, the truth is that our system is just not mature enough to produce high quality cricketers. We are where we are because this is where we are supposed to be, if you come to think of it. Not to make excuses here, but as long as the overall system (and this includes domestic leagues, age group training, academies, A team cricket) doesn't get to a minimum standard, we won't be producing too many satisfactory results, and there's not much that we can do about it other than work for it and wait.

BANFAN
March 2, 2008, 02:02 PM

That's why all these discussion. What's the solution to the problems? or do you mean that there is no solution to that?

Any game is a game of attaining and refining skills and it can be improved by practice only (Practice Makes a man perfect, as people say) Either the players do it themselves or the board forces them into rigorous practice shcedule. We have sufficient reasons to believe that the players don't have the initiative; we are left with the last option. We don't have unlimited time and don't like to loose the test status.

What do you (All) suggest we should do, in your opinion?

zainab
March 2, 2008, 02:07 PM
Its time to run away from TEST cricket, I mean it, we had enough.
Not at all. If they self impose a test ban upon them selves, they will never get it again. Let them play and get beaten, eventually, they will be disgusted at being beaten all the time and turn things around.
i can remember hearing that NZ and India used to get thrashed in the 50s,60s and 70s by the WI, England and australia, until in the mid 70s, India toured WI who looked down upon them. WI did not even prepare for the matches, they thought that India would roll over, did not take into consideration that India had a good opening bat by the name of Gavaskar. India won the series and their pride, and improved in Test cricket.
NZ took 26 years to win a match, they used to get bowled out for less than 100 runs also.
When SL got Test status, they were also the whipping boys for the other teams until some good players surfaced and they began to win, but it took them over 10 yrs also.
Remember SL has been playing cricket since the 1920s and teams from WI, England and Australia visited them to play 3 day games etc.
Give this young team a chance, they have no one else at the moment and Siddons has to work with these young lads. It is no good chopping and changing. I think he will bring about 21 Core players in his camp and work with them. In the next six months we will see another wicket/keeper batsman in the national team and he will try and mould about a dozen batsmen. They need a bowling coach badly.
I know everyone wants quick results, but changes do not happen overnight. It takes years sometimes, so have faith and patience.

pocha
March 2, 2008, 02:08 PM
One and Only Solution: We need to develop our First Class/domestic structure. Unless we do that, nothing will change. Its not a good idea to learn in actually test matches. Its like taking your final exam without doing any preparation and failing over n over again. Then you say ok we will learn in the real exam.

Anyway I think this issue of FC is raised several times in the past but who cares. We all know this but give a blind eye.

WarWolf
March 2, 2008, 02:11 PM
I am not sure though but i think that a sports psychologist may become handy here. In fact we should have a sports psychologist attached with every age group team as well.

Another note, most of the players in the national team have their first class and list A averages below 30. How do we expect them to play like super men in international level?

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 02:15 PM
That's why all these discussion. What's the solution to the problems? or do you mean that there is no solution to that?

Any game is a game of attaining and refining skills and it can be improved by practice only (Practice Makes a man perfect, as people say) Either the players do it themselves or the board forces them into rigorous practice shcedule. We have sufficient reasons to believe that the players don't have the initiative; we are left with the last option. We don't have unlimited time and don't like to loose the test status.

What do you (All) suggest we should do, in your opinion?

My solution's in #24, really. From a management perspective, work hard to improve the system. From the team's perspective - keep on training hard, because that's all that the players can do with their limited abilities. The system's a good few years behind where the team is at the moment, so unless the former catches up, the latter can only concentrate on the smaller picture and strive to get as good as it can.

pocha
March 2, 2008, 02:16 PM
Please STOP this broken record, Its time we put this to rest.

Not at all. If they self impose a test ban upon them selves, they will never get it again. Let them play and get beaten, eventually, they will be disgusted at being beaten all the time and turn things around.
i can remember hearing that NZ and India used to get thrashed in the 50s,60s and 70s by the WI, England and australia, until in the mid 70s, India toured WI who looked down upon them.

Snip..

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 02:17 PM
I am not sure though but i think that a sports psychologist may become handy here. In fact we should have a sports psychologist attached with every age group team as well.

Perhaps. But I also feel that the psychological aspect could be boosted by a couple of tough games against opponents of similar standard. Good thing Ireland's paying a visit pretty soon.

pocha
March 2, 2008, 02:22 PM

Another note, most of the players in the national team have their first class and list A averages below 30. How do we expect them to play like super men in international level?

How much did we score in the six practise matches prior to the test series?. We struggled to score past 200 even against our own bowlers.

Again only solution is to develop our own infrastructure, play more first class matches both at home or internationally. Its not easy to learn in real tests unless we score consistantly even against our own bowlers.

Nafi
March 2, 2008, 03:09 PM
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h_vvI26NnwE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Yeh SA were meant to bowl only half volleys and wide full tosses :doh:

zainab
March 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
How much time has Siddons really spent with this group? After the NZ series he took 2 weeks holidays, only had about 7 days to work with them in his training camp to prepare for SA. He has been in BD 3 months and in that time, he has not spent much time preparing them for 2 test series against quality opponents, he probably had a bit more than 2 weeks full days with them. That is a drop in the bucket for 2 series. I am really disappointed with him.
i dont even think he knows each player well. He needs to spend more quality time with them and groom them better, that is why he is paid handsomely .
I am not making excuses, but face it, Steyn has destroyed better players than these boys, take NZ for example, also Pakistan and West Indies. He is lethal. I dont think that NZ ever reached 259 runs in any innings in the 2 two test matches they played in Nov. He reaped rich benefits since NOV.

WarWolf
March 2, 2008, 03:35 PM
How much time has Siddons really spent with this group? After the NZ series he took 2 weeks holidays, only had about 7 days to work with them in his training camp to prepare for SA. He has been in BD 3 months and in that time, he has not spent much time preparing them for 2 test series against quality opponents, he probably had a bit more than 2 weeks full days with them. That is a drop in the bucket for 2 series. I am really disappointed with him.
i dont even think he knows each player well. He needs to spend more quality time with them and groom them better, that is why he is paid handsomely .
I am not making excuses, but face it, Steyn has destroyed better players than these boys, take NZ for example, also Pakistan and West Indies. He is lethal. I dont think that NZ ever reached 259 runs in any innings in the 2 two test matches they played in Nov. He reaped rich benefits since NOV.
I have no objection about SIddons. This guy is a top professional and that's why he is here. He has proven himself many times in his life; as a player as well as a good coaching stuff. Every body has his own unique style of doing some thing. You must give him time before starting criticizing him.

BANFAN
March 2, 2008, 03:37 PM
i think that a sports psychologist may become handy here. In fact we should have a sports psychologist attached with every age group team as well.

So correct in saying so. Mentality towards the game is very very important, we all know. In which our players lack so much in comparison to others. They have the skills to put up much better fight if they could match the mentality. I think this can solve half of the problem immediately. Could help to make a faster progress, IMO

Its not a good idea to learn in actually test matches. Its like taking your final exam without doing any preparation and failing over n over again.

Unfortunately most of the people in responsible positions think that we are achieving a lot of practice, by these tests and they truely view it as practices. Unfortunate. Thanks for bringing it out

From the team's perspective - keep on training hard, because that's all that the players can do with their limited abilities.

You hit the final nail probably. in my opinion, we lack here severely. BCB thinks by arranging a 7/10 days camp before a tour they are developing skills, it could be good for a matured team not us. And the players don't engage in self improvement beyond this 'shorkari' training. Both knows that we need much more improvement than the established teams, to come to their level; but none takes initiative.

The national team should be in permanent training camp except the tour periods, untill they come to that standard of competing with other team.

Any possibility that BCB could take these actions to do some good for the team?

Anher
March 2, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yeh SA were meant to bowl only half volleys and wide full tosses :doh:

and half volleys and wide full tossess has to be slow.

desirocker
March 2, 2008, 07:09 PM

so are us. we're all tired. But u need to understand that fact that our batsmen are shameless. They are not ashmed of giving excuses.. That's how they're. Inside of their heart, they think that we're minnows.

insideedge
March 2, 2008, 08:27 PM
One and Only Solution: We need to develop our First Class/domestic structure. Unless we do that, nothing will change. Its not a good idea to learn in actually test matches. Its like taking your final exam without doing any preparation and failing over n over again. Then you say ok we will learn in the real exam.

Anyway I think this issue of FC is raised several times in the past but who cares. We all know this but give a blind eye.

You have hit the bulls eye. BCB needs to realise this fact. If they have not realised it till now, it speaks very poorly about their analytical abilities.

Eshen
March 2, 2008, 08:34 PM
However you want to sugar coat it, the truth is that we currently have only one test class batsman (Shahriar Nafees, although he is still very inconsistent) and one test class bowler (Shahadat Hossain, since Rafique is retiring). This team is no better than the team that had only two test class players in Bashar and Rafique (in their primes).

We need to see some magic from Siddons (something that we have not seen yet) to make rest of the players to fit in this format.

About our FC system, I look up to NCL to spot new talents, but the league is too weak to help any player to develop further.

nsd3
March 2, 2008, 09:18 PM
Will bringing in foreign players boost any chance for our players improve? Siddons once said we don't have bowlers bowling 150 mark in the practice continuously. Bringing in quality fast bowlers into he league might help, would it?

Bengali Bum
March 2, 2008, 09:26 PM
cricket sara Bangladesh ar ki khele???
jodio ora khelte pare na.. at least bolod gore majkhane dekte valo lage. ei je mone koren dui-bounce wicket.. tarpor onichchai bat laiga four hoya jai.. some entertainment. ogo upor raag koira laab nai.

My grandpa said "at least they get to travel around the world... ogo jonno etai valo"

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 09:26 PM
Will bringing in foreign players boost any chance for our players improve? Siddons once said we don't have bowlers bowling 150 mark in the practice continuously. Bringing in quality fast bowlers into he league might help, would it?

See, now we're going back to the payment issue. Having some good players from other nations in our domestic leagues would help, but if we are looking to improve in the longer version, we will need them in the NCL and not the Premier League. The problem here is that clubs have money, and divisions don't, unless the BCB provides funding. It wouldn't look good to pay a foreigner, say, ten times what you would pay a local player, so the overall pay scale for the NCL has to increase - not only to attract foreign players but also to make sure the locals stay beyond the age of 25.

Bengali Bum
March 2, 2008, 09:29 PM
See, now we're going back to the payment issue. Having some good players from other nations in our domestic leagues would help, but if we are looking to improve in the longer version, we will need them in the NCL and not the Premier League. The problem here is that clubs have money, and divisions don't, unless the BCB provides funding. It wouldn't look good to pay a foreigner, say, ten times what you would pay a local player, so the overall pay scale for the NCL has to increase - not only to attract foreign players but also to make sure the locals stay beyond the age of 25.
What if the divisions are privatized?? Would that bring some funding??
In BD every private sector does pretty well.

cricket_pagol
March 2, 2008, 09:32 PM
We need seaming and bouncy tracks in NCL and premier leagues... In terms of playing the short ball, we have not improved at all. Every team that employs "the short ball strategy" against us, always come out on the top.

djnaved
March 2, 2008, 10:28 PM
We need seaming and bouncy tracks in NCL and premier leagues... In terms of playing the short ball, we have not improved at all. Every team that employs "the short ball strategy" against us, always come out on the top.

first of all, we need to change our curators. We need some good curators that can make pitch fast and bouncy. Since, we are good at bowling side

Sagacious
March 3, 2008, 02:33 AM
At last I found one sensible Bangladeshi fan!!

why don't your national team play against Pakistan/Indian U-19 team to improve your cricket? :D

zainab
March 3, 2008, 06:46 AM
Ban Fan is correct by saying:

You hit the final nail probably. in my opinion, we lack here severely. BCB thinks by arranging a 7/10 days camp before a tour they are developing skills, it could be good for a matured team not us. And the players don't engage in self improvement beyond this 'shorkari' training. Both knows that we need much more improvement than the established teams, to come to their level; but none takes initiative.

The national team should be in permanent training camp except the tour periods, untill they come to that standard of competing with other team.Any possibility that BCB could take these actions to do some good for the team?

I dont know how much time this team spends actually training, but in other countries especially Australia, India and SRi Lanka, they are constantly training when not on tour.
I lived near the SSC grounds in Colombo and one guy(Sangha) was always batting and trying to improve his glove work. They used to be at the ground by 6 in the morning,
even when other teams toured, they were at the grounds by 6 AM.It takes dedication and hard work to be successful and this team lacks that trait at the moment.
I dont know if Siddons can have any success here. 2008 looks a bad year so far.

mahbubH
March 3, 2008, 06:54 AM

why don't your national team play against Pakistan/Indian U-19 team to improve your cricket? :DCause our U19 team is good enough for them!

BANFAN
March 3, 2008, 09:57 AM

why don't your national team play against Pakistan/Indian U-19 team to improve your cricket? :D

You seem to be a pakistani; Are you? Not for your avatar, this kind of joke is very typical to that taste & mentality.

ahaque
March 3, 2008, 10:01 AM
i think people are still expecting too much out of the team. everyone knows we arent a good test nation. we need some confidence boosters..maybe ireland..we'll just have to see.

sayem
March 3, 2008, 10:31 AM
There you go every one...Thank you all for accepting that BD are simply not good enough!! Its about time we review things...we must use logic and facts now

jisaan
March 3, 2008, 11:38 AM

historically and practically, pak u-19 never consists of players under 19 years of age. in that sense, pak national team is very close to their u-19 team in termas of age. so, playing u-19 or national team would almost be the same.:floor:

i would consider your comment as an honest confession:-D:-D:-D

khandaker5
March 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
:lol:
It is not the pitch, it is all lack of skill of our players. I will not blame our young players, rather I will blame our selection board who does not know at all about cricket, even they don't know the conditions of our pitch. And our captains.......nothing to say about them
only I can pray to Allah to give them some common sense.

Fazal
March 3, 2008, 02:04 PM
The "dead pitch" excuse and blame on the curator is the worst i have seen by (surprisingly a few prominent member - with an apology for offending any) over time.

Dead pitches only mean you gotto the play the way BD played on Day-2 and NOT throwing in the towel.

Yes.... I demand an apology to Belel (thge curator) and his collegues.