PDA

View Full Version : What is the Bangladeshi fascination with young boys?

Dhurr
March 2, 2008, 05:57 AM
Tamim Iqbal 18 years old
Mushfiqur Rahim 19 years old
Junaid Siddique 20 years old
Shakib Al Hasan 20 years old
Shahadat Hossain 21 years old
Shahriar Nafees 22 years old
Aftab Ahmed 22 years old
Mohammad Ashraful 23 years old
Mashrafe Mortaza 24 years old
Abdur Razzak 25 years old

This is our current test team sans the almost-retired Mohammad Rafique. Someone please explain to me this newly-found Bangladeshi fascination with young boys. Some people might say this is a sign of pederasty; I say shame on them. That still does not explain the fascination though. What is it? Anyone over the age of 25 is disliked by selectors and fans alike. Why? Even Mohammad Rafique, arguably the most successful cricketer in our country's history, has been chastised by the fans, and one of the reasons brought up by fans was his age; he is on the wrong side of 25. So what is the cause? Why is a national test team not composed of mature players? Why is it full of players who have not proven much at any level and still continue to be mainstays for the national team?
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2" align="right">
</td><td style="white-space: nowrap;" width="192">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

djnaved
March 2, 2008, 06:04 AM
yo, let's read this one, by our selectors and it was in the newspaper

Asker: why don't you pick experinced player in our national team?
selector: Actually, we are preparing young players for the next world cup

my thought:

Does ICC have world cup test cricket that even selectors don't like to pick experienced player in the test squad?

Miraz
March 2, 2008, 06:05 AM
Young, reckless and immature... that's our brand of cricket.

We make a mockery of our cricket knowledge by calling them young, adventurous and courageous.

Wait for another 5 years, let the current players reach 26-27 year mark, they will be world beaters.

djnaved
March 2, 2008, 06:08 AM
Wait for another 5 years, let the current players reach 26-27 year mark, they will be world beaters.

I don't have patience to watch the same movie/scenery by our team for 5 years. Play good now, or retire. That's what i have to say.

Gowza
March 2, 2008, 06:15 AM
thing is there aren't many players over 25 who deserve to be in the team, maybe ehsanul haque in the test team, possibly rubel (the spinner) but there aren't many others if any who should be in the national selection fold. i think one of the other issues is that a lot of the national players haven't played much domestic cricket, tamim, junaid, rahim etc were all fast tracked to the national team. it might be an idea to bring in players like nazimuddin who although are young have actually got a decent amount of domestic experience and also a decent record.

Sohel
March 2, 2008, 06:26 AM

We make a mockery of our cricket knowledge by calling them young, adventurous and courageous.

Amen brother ... :)

Semper Fidelis !

mahbubH
March 2, 2008, 06:29 AM
I am happy that this time our U19 team did not do well in the WC otherwise few of them would play in the ODIs! Most of these kids who are now playing or already retired (Nafees Iqbal, Anower Hossain, Mohammed Salim, ..) did not earn their test spots, someone presented them. This is the way all stuffs of our country running why cricket do differently!

BD-Shardul
March 2, 2008, 06:35 AM

After five years, half of them will not be in the team. So, the cycle will continue.

Remeber, when Dav took charge, he said that Hannan was going to be good player for BD. But where is Hannan Sarkar now? This coach is saying same about BiZu. Actually, coach can train you, advice you, you will have to apply it. If you can't then.....

Aritro
March 2, 2008, 06:36 AM
What worries me is the lack of quality being shown by some of our more mature players, namely Mortaza and Ashraful. Ash is at an age where young players start to emerge in most other countries, and they would usually be reasonably expected to average more than the 27 he's been averaging in the last 12 months. And that's without even highlighting the fact that Ash has played 40 odd tests.

Test batsmen may not reach their peak till their late 20s, but test quality cricketers who play tests at Ash's age in other countries rarely hit a trough equivalent to Ash's performances in the last 12 months. It's obviously unfair to judge anyone by Australian standards, but perhaps we ought to consider that there were people calling for Michael Clarke's head when he was 23-24, and he was averaging 35 at the time. Even the South Africans dropped a young Hashim Amla when he was averaging under 30.

Similarly, at twenty four, Mortaza can hardly peddle youth (and certainly not inexperience) as an excuse any more. The fact that his average has deteriorated since the start of 2007 is a pretty big worry.

Maybe I've been a bit harsh on Ashraful because there have been numerous Test standard batsmen who briefly averaged in the 20s at his age, but the signs are not encouraging. It also has to be said that Aftab seems to be heading much the same way as did Nafees until some robust recent batting.

I certainly hope Tamim and Junaied don't head the same way, and I wonder if we're somewhat putting the wool in our own eyes with our optimistic forecasts, when the reality might be slightly bleaker.

SS
March 2, 2008, 06:37 AM

Miraz bhai I agree with you somewhat in 5 years they will mature. But what will happen at current state. World will not wait for them to get mature with gentleness and won't forgive them for the mistakes being so young and naive. World has changed so much, you, me and everybody knows over here especially those who are abroad or even back home started being responsible and live life on their own. Obvisouly being young, we were not up the ladder and it takes time to be on top. But what will happen to our team in five years nobody knows. Even in two years they might even take remorseless decision against the young team like BD. It is bound to happen it happened to Zimb (though they had some internal nation issue).

Aritro
March 2, 2008, 06:37 AM
After five years, half of them will not be in the team. So, the cycle will continue.

Remeber, when Dav took charge, he said that Hannan was going to be good player for BD. But where is Hannan Sarkar now? This coach is saying same about BiZu. Actually, coach can train you, advice you, you will have to apply it. If you can't then.....

The current batch are certainly far more polished and better drilled than the likes of Hannan. However, you do raise a good point, and I also wonder whether half these lads will be in the team in five years.

Ahmed_B
March 2, 2008, 08:24 AM
[বাংলা]বুম বুম আফতাব!![/বাংলা] isn't that what most of the fans like too? Why blame the selectors only? Cricket in BD is more like a Thriller-movie wannabe... which most often turns out to be super flops!

tiger_army
March 2, 2008, 08:24 AM
The current batch are certainly far more polished and better drilled than the likes of Hannan. However, you do raise a good point, and I also wonder whether half these lads will be in the team in five years.

Exactly, thts why Siddons doesnt want to make a big change in the team.........

lamisa
March 2, 2008, 09:46 AM
i think we will be doing fine in the next 5 years.i agree with miraz bhai.maybe even more,wait till our current academy side totally replaces the current team.we will certainly reach the top then.Inshallah!

Imtiaz
March 2, 2008, 11:14 AM
Tamim Iqbal 18 years old
Mushfiqur Rahim 19 years old
Junaid Siddique 20 years old
Shakib Al Hasan 20 years old
Shahadat Hossain 21 years old
Shahriar Nafees 22 years old
Aftab Ahmed 22 years old
Mohammad Ashraful 23 years old
Mashrafe Mortaza 24 years old
Abdur Razzak 25 years old
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right colSpan=2>

</TD><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" width=192>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

One small point. In line with our tradition, you may safely add 2 to 4 years for everyone of the above. Some of the above are getting married at 19, 20, 21. Give me a break !!

Imtiaz
March 2, 2008, 11:18 AM

Except that 5 years ago we heard the same remarks. When discussing Bangladesh cricket, administrators and supporters, two words come to mind:

Ostrich

Sand

ialbd
March 2, 2008, 11:31 AM
there is a huge void in the age range of "more than 24 and less than 30" (and with Bashar/Rafiq/Pilot gone, there will only be less than 24 years old group)

Even with all these failures, I'll be patient and wait for the team to enter this age group, and I am quite optimistic abt it...

Think abt the support a 20-21 year old prodigy might get when he makes it to 'that' team UNLIKE now.....

smashyboy
March 2, 2008, 11:31 AM
Alistair cook is only 22.

bdchamp20
March 2, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yes, but who are we going to replace these 18, 19, 20 year olds with?..in the NCL most players were of this age..some players like Sezan and Mosharof are 26/27 but they are very very few...the thing is in our country if a player(say about 25) doesnt get selected for international matches he gets annoyed and stops playing domestically and another 18-19 year old replaces him so I agree with Miraz bhai we should make a list of 30 young players and use rotation so that they all can get experience and play them for 4-5 years after they hit 25+ then we'll be world beaters.

Spitfire_x86
March 2, 2008, 12:13 PM
One small point. In line with our tradition, you may safely add 2 to 4 years for everyone of the above. Some of the above are getting married at 19, 20, 21. Give me a break !!
QFT :up:

I don't know how can anyone who has little knowledge of how things are run here believe in the listed official age of our players.

WarWolf
March 2, 2008, 12:16 PM

They will surely reach 26-27 years mark but most of them won't be in the team. After 5 years, average age of the team will still be around 21-22. I remember 5 years back some of the commentators used to fantasize about our team in 4/5 years future to be world beaters. But we are still in the same condition. We are dumb enough to learn; deaf enough to break the cycle.

sandpiper
March 2, 2008, 12:23 PM
Only point which comes to my mind is my signature.

zainab
March 2, 2008, 12:28 PM
Please give Siddons a chance to work with about 20 core players. I think he has a plan for these young players. he has to stick with them. he cannot go back and bring back some of the older, experienced players, so whether he wants it or not, or how frustrated he is, he has to stick with them, as he says, they have to stay and play together.
By the next six months, we will see another wicketkeeper/batsman trained to play in the national team. i think a good bowling coach is very vital, because he will take care of the batting and fielding.
Dont matter how frustrated fans are with these lads, there are no one else at the moment, you have to work with what you have. he has somehow seen some promise.

al Furqaan
March 2, 2008, 12:33 PM
QFT :up:

I don't know how can anyone who has little knowledge of how things are run here believe in the listed official age of our players.

players who are really as young as the official age are:

ashraful, rahim, sajid, tamim, junaid, rasel, razzak

players who are most certainly older:

shahadat, SN

not sure about aftab and mash...actually tamim may be in the older category as well.

al Furqaan
March 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
the way the players continue to get dismissed is infuriating. i have finally lost my temper (and sanity). until our players display the desire to stop giving catching practice to the slips, i say the curators need to make all pitches like the Mirpur one from last week. doesn't matter, we saw what happens in a flat pitch. innings defeat. not all matches played in a minefield will be close like the Mirpur test, but at least we can avoid 509-1, or 600-3 dec, and gillispie 201* type situations.

our strenght is our bowling, rajib couldn't have proven that more aptly. its time we make bowler friendly wickets. our batsmen will score 150-200 regardless of nature of wicket. not because of lack of ability but lack of application. then you have the aspect, where batting on tough surfaces will actually get them to bat better. its a win-win situation both short and long term.

Eshen
March 2, 2008, 12:46 PM
Mushfiq can be a year older than his listed age in cricinfo (that's why, I believe, he was not considered for the U/19 cup this year).

http://tigercricket.com/squad19.aspx

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 12:49 PM
At this point, we really have no choice. The problem can be traced back to the days after the ICC trophy when a bad run saw the likes of Akram, Bulbul, etc out of the team and replaced by some really young players, who did not do too well either. The management was inexperienced, and made a mistake. However, it really hurt us when they continued to make the same mistake by not sticking to a core group of players and repeatedly introducing new ones. Since our domestic leagues are crap, what this did was it left a void in the 25 and above age range, so that we simply don't have anyone good enough in that range today.

I think it's high time that we start taking care of our oldies, i.e. provide them with the required training/opportunities behind the stage to get prepped up for and succeed in international cricket. We have places like the academy where players can build up their skills to compete at the top level, but it's only for relatively younger players at the moment. As some people here correctly pointed out, we have no choice now but to wait another few years before the current bunch reaches its prime. We have to pay for the mistakes that we made over the years.

Now the question is will our selectors have the patience to stick with these guys long enough? Introducing a new 19 year old every series doesn't quite help. Losing big also doesn't help, especially when you're young - it is no good for the confidence. So for now, I guess we'll have to suck it up and lose most of the time, and play fellow minnows to boost confidence every now and then (remember the aftermath of the 2006 run?).

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 12:54 PM
our strenght is our bowling, rajib couldn't have proven that more aptly. its time we make bowler friendly wickets. our batsmen will score 150-200 regardless of nature of wicket.

You make an important point here. Not that it solves our problems, but it could at least ensure that we don't get humiliated at home. Our bowlers shouldn't have to bowl their hearts out only to concede 600 runs in an inning at home.

Rabz
March 2, 2008, 01:05 PM
Someone please explain to me this newly-found Bangladeshi fascination with young boys.

Dhurro mia, you make it sound so wrong :-D
So Michael Jackson-ish.

সরি বড় ভাই, এই ভাঙ্গা রেডিও গত পাচ বছর ধইরা হুনতাছি ।

Spot on. The higest ( or longest) "boyosh-churi" i've known personally is of 6 years!
One of my very own mate who is 6 years younger in his official BCB list than to his original birthday. Offcourse, he could not make it in cricket ( played with same batch with Ash in the u-17).

players who are really as young as the official age are:

ashraful, rahim, sajid, tamim, junaid, rasel, razzak

players who are most certainly older:

shahadat, SN

not sure about aftab and mash...actually tamim may be in the older category as well.

Ash 23? gimme a break..
this has been discussed millions of times here, but once again....
he is 26-27.
He sat for his SSC in 97-98, so you do the maths.

bdchamp20
March 2, 2008, 01:12 PM
Mushfiq can be a year older than his listed age in cricinfo (that's why, I believe, he was not considered for the U/19 cup this year).

http://tigercricket.com/squad19.aspx
he wasnt considered bcoz he was already 19 during the start of the season(therefore ineligible) if he was 18(like Shuvo,Shobhoshish,Dolar) at the start of the season then he wouldve played even if he was 19 during the world cup. But I dont think BD would send him even if he was eligible coz of the SA tour

Miraz
March 2, 2008, 01:21 PM
[বাংলা]সরি বড় ভাই, এই ভাঙ্গা রেডিও গত পাচ বছর ধইরা হুনতাছি ।[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]ভাইজান আমরা গরীব মানুষ । আমাগো আইপডও নাই, বোস সাউন্ড সিস্টেমও নাই । ভাংগা রেডিওই সম্বল । আর কয়টা দিন এট্টু কষ্ট কইরা হুনেন । ইমানে কইতাছি ৫ বছরের মধ্যে অন্তত: একটা টু-ইন-ওয়ান কিনুম । সাউন্ড অনেক পরিস্কার হুনতে পারবেন । [/বাংলা]

:)

cricketboy
March 2, 2008, 01:37 PM
They will surely reach 26-27 years mark but most of them won't be in the team. After 5 years, average age of the team will still be around 21-22. I remember 5 years back some of the commentators used to fantasize about our team in 4/5 years future to be world beaters. But we are still in the same condition. We are dumb enough to learn; deaf enough to break the cycle.

This is the truth. We just dont have enough world class players. Mashrafe has been even worse than Sazidul or Rasel in this series.

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 01:41 PM
Even with all these failures, I'll be patient and wait for the team to enter this age group, and I am quite optimistic abt it...

Think abt the support a 20-21 year old prodigy might get when he makes it to 'that' team UNLIKE now.....

Exactly. a 20-21 year old then will have a lot of the pressure taken off his shoulders as he will have the boro bhais to steady the ship if things go wrong.

BANFAN
March 2, 2008, 03:06 PM

Miraz, We are hearing this 5 years theory for last 6 + years, when this count will really start reducing? The players like HB did not go on a higher graph with age & experience, if all of these boys become HB after 5 years and have the same fate, we will keep on replacing young promising boys and never grow up as a team?

Are we having enough visible progress today to achieve that target? Is our past 5 years progress (?) in test, visible enough to realistically set such a target for next 5 years?

'I mean, in one fine morning after 5 years we will start beating every one' I'm sure you don't mean this. Improvement has to be progressive.

If we analyze our test performance of past 5 years today; I rathar see a declining graph, how can you conclude that in 5 years we will reach to an acceptable position by just doing what we are doing now?

We definitely need to do something extra-ordinary to turn the situation towards an upward trend to achieve that standard in 5 years. I don't have much inside information, if you please tell, what extra ordinary efforts we are making or planning to make soon, which allows you to say that.

Thanks

Miraz
March 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
BANFAN, there is a huge difference between previous 5-6 years and next 5-6 years.

Now we have a core group of players which we never had. Stop-gap options were the main policy over the last 5-6 years. Current players are immature but at least have the cricketing ability to succeed at the top level.

I don't think we need to do extraordinary stuff to turn things around, keeping it simple would be a better option.

I am sure even 2 years back, nobody would have counted us in any form of the game. Now almost every team thinks twice before the ODIs and we are having few good sessions in the Tests.

Now we need to stitch these couple of achievements together, it's taking painfully long time but we are not walking backwards that's for sure.

zainab
March 2, 2008, 03:38 PM
Yes, but who are we going to replace these 18, 19, 20 year olds with?..in the NCL most players were of this age..some players like Sezan and Mosharof are 26/27 but they are very very few...the thing is in our country if a player(say about 25) doesnt get selected for international matches he gets annoyed and stops playing domestically and another 18-19 year old replaces him so I agree with Miraz bhai we should make a list of 30 young players and use rotation so that they all can get experience and play them for 4-5 years after they hit 25+ then we'll be world beaters.

Exactly! Why dont you email this to the BCB and see if they will take notice, or send it to Rabeed Iman. It is about time the Board did something to uplift their domestic structure in BD which has the worst domestic cricket structure in the world, even worse than the WI. The national team should play more 3 and 4 day games with other teams in addition to playing for their province and clubs. Only by playing in the longer version of the game, can they improve, for practice makes perfect.

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2008, 04:01 PM
the thing is in our country if a player(say about 25) doesnt get selected for international matches he gets annoyed and stops playing domestically

But then when you're 25 and not making a lot of money, what do you do? Our best player makes around 200,000 a month through playing for the national team and in the domestic leagues, with sponsorship and IPL money on top of that, whereas a domestic cricketer makes only around 30,000, that too if he gets lucky and makes for a good bid in the Dhaka league. The distribution of income is as pathetic as that in our economy. I think this is something that the BCB need to look at as well. It's easy for the teens to not make a lot of money, but when you're above 25 and want to make a life out of yourself, cricket is probably not what you'd want to do unless you're exceptionally talented.

This once again brings us back to the time factor. It might sound like a broken record, but at least it's consistent. The system will improve over time, and only time can raise our success rates.

al Furqaan
March 2, 2008, 04:11 PM
Dhurro mia, you make it sound so wrong :-D
So Michael Jackson-ish.

সরি বড় ভাই, এই ভাঙ্গা রেডিও গত পাচ বছর ধইরা হুনতাছি ।

Spot on. The higest ( or longest) "boyosh-churi" i've known personally is of 6 years!
One of my very own mate who is 6 years younger in his official BCB list than to his original birthday. Offcourse, he could not make it in cricket ( played with same batch with Ash in the u-17).

Ash 23? gimme a break..
this has been discussed millions of times here, but once again....
he is 26-27.
He sat for his SSC in 97-98, so you do the maths.

have you ever actually seen ashraful's face? i had more facial hair than him when i was 19 (and i was a relatively late bloomer compared to my fellow bangali peers). have u hear is voice? have you seen the build of his body 2-3 years back? ashraful is at the oldest my age, meaning he is 24. in fact, his older brother mentioned in an article that his birthday is july 1983. i think he would know better than us. aftab is perhaps as old as ash. rajin a couple years older. and SN is about my age 24. so is Nafees Iqbal. i suspect that tamim and rajib are older than their listed ages by 2 years or so as well.

but sajid, mushy, enam are as young as billed.

al Furqaan
March 2, 2008, 04:19 PM
You make an important point here. Not that it solves our problems, but it could at least ensure that we don't get humiliated at home. Our bowlers shouldn't have to bowl their hearts out only to concede 600 runs in an inning at home.

point was made before me. but, i'll take the credit :-p

on a more serious note, asif, it can make a real difference. there is absolutely a qualitative difference between results of mipur test and ctg test.

this will at least shut up the critics who pop up only when we play badly.

and perhaps most importatnly. the batsman will be forced to learn to play sensibly. they will really strggle. they can't get any worse.

ashraful scored a total of 4 runs off 21 balls on a tapeworm flat track. how can he do worse on a minefield? all he has to do is hit one boundary to equal his pathetic record here. but should he struggle and actually score some runs, any of our batsman will ultimately learn some real batting values. add in the natural maturation process, and you might be able to have a decent test out of these guys.

i fully expect mash to get back into form, maybe not this series or the next, but it will happen. rajib of course will become, if he isn't already, a fast bowler who the likes of mash, vaas, zaheer, maharoof, et al can't even dream of superceding. add in rasel, sajidul and enam...and you have a bunch that should be able to take 20 wickets per match at least once out of 3 games.

BANFAN
March 2, 2008, 04:27 PM
Miraz, Thanks and I don't disagree with you on the circumstantial changes. But when I make the same conclusion in my mind, I disagree with myself, as it sounds like an expectation or assumption, Not based on facts.

If we have to be able to draw a test within next five years, we need to have some yearly targets for improvement. What would you like to see the team achieve in first year? i.e. Atleast taking the game to end of fourth day every time? or make the opponent batting second time consistently? or the team batting over 100 overs in every innings irespective of the run? or making atleast 250/300 in each innings consistently ..... ? ... ? I don't see them doing any one of these consistenly in this year (2008).

Why should one consider that they will be able to achieve that in present system and level of efforts, without doing something different? while the Same players, same system has not done anything better than the past consistently in the curent series?

No doubt; These players are better than the previous players we had, given their graph of learning; I don't see any one of them is learning fast enough to have a revolutionary transformation in next 5 years. We definitely will have a lot of better next generation players better than these lot, for the same reasons we had these lot better than before.

IMO, if we remain in the current mode & level of efforts, we have to look towards the next generation; that's atleast 12-15 years away.

bdchamp20
March 2, 2008, 06:10 PM
Exactly! Why dont you email this to the BCB and see if they will take notice, or send it to Rabeed Iman. It is about time the Board did something to uplift their domestic structure in BD which has the worst domestic cricket structure in the world, even worse than the WI. The national team should play more 3 and 4 day games with other teams in addition to playing for their province and clubs. Only by playing in the longer version of the game, can they improve, for practice makes perfect.
haha!!WI we cant even compare ourselveses to them, they have a serious list A and 1st class tournament between the islands and a Twenty20 tournament where players can make money(stanford 20/20)..thats partly coz a eccentric American billionaire pays them..but we have to find someway to keep the players happy and a private T20 tournament looks the best option..we should try and get NRBs or millionaires in our country to invest in cricket. And start a T20 tournament and actually make an effort to promote it so that ppl come to watch it or see it in their TVs thus driving revenue into the game so that the players are paid properly and continue playing domestically until their mid-thirties..and unsurprisingly none of the tournaments are doing that at the moment

Ishtylish cricketer
March 2, 2008, 08:25 PM
Answer's simple we don't have any experienced players who are good enough to do the job.

Tehsin
March 2, 2008, 09:43 PM
With the whole ‘5 year’ deal, we used to have very similar conversations 8 years ago. Actually, I remember having this conversations (give us 5 years and we'll be like <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:place w:st=<st1:country-region w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Sri Lanka</st1:country-region></st1:place>) back in the mid 90s. :)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P><P><SPAN style= <o:p></o:p>
The big difference now is that we have more quality players to choose from. The sad thing is, this players are being picked up too early and chewed out after 2/3 years as their obvious lack of preparation becomes apparent when they face world class players without the proper coaching/experience. Given that history, the Siddons theory of working with a core team sounds to be a good start. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
A big reason for our failure to produce and nurture quality players is obviously the lack of a solid domestic structure. Our current domestic cricket reminds me of my school years. Doing enough to ensure that my parents didn't cut off my privilege and I didn't get in trouble. The end result wasn't top grade. ;) <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I say we get the Dhaka League back on track. It was good enough to get us where we are today. It was hellofalot competitive then the make believe competition of our domestic one day matches. Let the clubs do what they do best.<o:p></o:p>

ZunaidH
March 3, 2008, 01:31 AM
"The big difference now is that we have more quality players to choose from."
In comparison to what and who?

"The sad thing is, this players are being picked up too early and chewed out after 2/3 years as their obvious lack of preparation becomes apparent when they face world class players without the proper coaching/experience."

I disagree with that theory. I think the difference is lack of professionalism. Can someone make a living playing cricket in Bangladesh? Coaching or Experience does not make a player great. Natural talent and discipline can. Discipline by itself is not too bad either.

Niceman70
March 3, 2008, 02:02 AM

i heard that five years back.

zainab
March 3, 2008, 07:21 AM
When this team plays international cricket, they are called young, reckless, immature,inexperienced and free spirited by commentators. I remember in the 07 World cup and T 20 competition in SA. They are referred to as Minnows. I remember one of the commentators saying that the MInnows are overjoyed when they were about to win the game against WI. Also, when they play, they have no plan whtsoever. Face it fans, BD only have young cricketers, not older ones, hope this team can stay with each other for at least 5 yrs like the Aussies.

One World
March 4, 2008, 10:11 PM
After the new selection for the ODI series it is clear we are in a vicious circle. Nobody knows how to come out of the swing and walk the line.

GuruTM
March 4, 2008, 11:46 PM
With the whole ‘5 year’ deal, we used to have very similar conversations 8 years ago. Actually, I remember having this conversations (give us 5 years and we'll be like <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:place w:st=<st1:country-region w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Sri Lanka</st1:country-region></st1:place>) back in the mid 90s. :)The big difference now is that we have more quality players to choose from. The sad thing is, this players are being picked up too early and chewed out after 2/3 years as their obvious lack of preparation becomes apparent when they face world class players without the proper coaching/experience. Given that history, the Siddons theory of working with a core team sounds to be a good start.

A big reason for our failure to produce and nurture quality players is obviously the lack of a solid domestic structure. Our current domestic cricket reminds me of my school years. Doing enough to ensure that my parents didn't cut off my privilege and I didn't get in trouble. The end result wasn't top grade. ;) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p>
<font color=" /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black>
<FONT color=#b00ad0><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black>I say we get the Dhaka League back on track. It was good enough to get us where we are today. It was hellofalot competitive then the make believe competition of our domestic one day matches. Let the clubs do what they do best.<o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black>

[বাংলা]বাঁধাই করে রাখার মতো একটা পোস্ট।[/বাংলা]
</SPAN>

wiseshah
March 5, 2008, 01:17 AM
protita bangali playerder sathe 5 bosor jog korley tader asol boyos pawa jabe. karo khetre 7 bosor jog korte hobey. ei jonno amader selectorra bipode porey. asole player der boyos international standard e ase. amar money hoyna keo 25 er niche amader team e. rakibul koyek din ageo silo 23, ekhon hoye gese 20, javed er boyos 35 up, se dabi korey se under 19

Murad
March 5, 2008, 01:42 AM
Actually Raqibul is from 2006 U19 team. SO he cannot be 23. If he's 23 then Shakib has to be 24, Tamim 22, Rahim 23.

U-19 team e dhukar aage bone test dite hoi...jate keo age komate na pare... eta to janen?

So his age is correct.

nzfan
March 5, 2008, 02:16 AM
Rahim 23? come on now, and shakib looks around my age(20)

Rabz
March 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
have you ever actually seen ashraful's face? i had more facial hair than him when i was 19 (and i was a relatively late bloomer compared to my fellow bangali peers). have u hear is voice? have you seen the build of his body 2-3 years back? ashraful is at the oldest my age, meaning he is 24. in fact, his older brother mentioned in an article that his birthday is july 1983. i think he would know better than us.

Offcourse he would.
But do you think he would go behind his own brother's back and tell us something different than what's in his passport?

i dont think so.

... and what i've told is from a close confidant who trained with Ash back in the days.
I wasnt making it up.

Tigers_eye
March 5, 2008, 01:29 PM
Rahim 23? come on now, and shakib looks around my age(20)
Rahim is not 23, that is just an expression. However, he is older than Shakib.

While watching, I am not sure how many fans picked it up, but I heard Shakib call Mushi as "bhai". Which means brother. We only say brother to those who are older than us or out of respect (cultural thing). But in this setting I don't think after playing to gether for so long Shakib called Mushi as brother out of respect. More or less on age difference. I am inclined to accept Eshen's comment that Mushi is a year older than the official age if not more. That puts Mushi as 20+ or 21+.

auntu
March 5, 2008, 02:57 PM
Shob certificate age. you can add 1/2 years ..