PDA

View Full Version : “Playing for Bangladesh is the best thing happened to my life” : An interview with Mohammad Rafique

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 02:14 AM
Articles and Features

“Playing for Bangladesh is the best thing happened to my life” : An interview with Mohammad Rafique
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman
Mohammad Rafique , the legend of Bangladesh cricket, has ended his international career after serving Bangladesh cricket for 13 years. He is the most successful cricketer of Bangladesh history who holds the record of highest wickets in both forms of the game. Rafique is leaving international cricket on a high and prior to his retirement he opened his heart to BanglaCricket editor Khondaker Mirazur Rahman to share his thoughts about his retirement and future plan, fond memories and Bangladesh’s struggle in Test cricket.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/images/read_art.gif Read article » (http://banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=487)

Sohel
March 4, 2008, 02:29 AM
Thank you Miraz ... :)

Antora
March 4, 2008, 02:30 AM
wow!!! I never knew he was a seamer at first:-|:blush:

That was a good read, Thanks Miraz bhaiya :)

cricman
March 4, 2008, 02:32 AM
Very well done! Rafique is Bangladesh Cricket, the board needs to accommodate is his post retirement wishes

nobody
March 4, 2008, 03:25 AM
thanks man. I would comment after reading the report

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 03:31 AM
The interview is on Cricinfo front page.

BANFAN
March 4, 2008, 04:03 AM
Good interview Miraz.

Lots of unknown info revealed through the interview.

I didn't know it was a protest. Nice to know that Rafiq wants to be a curator, he definitely will do good there and it suits him.

abu2abu
March 4, 2008, 04:10 AM
The reason he was left out of the NZ tour was becasue he bowled poorly in the preceeding series against sri lanka! There was nothing political about it!

abu2abu
March 4, 2008, 04:17 AM
To all those who like me) thought Rafique was doing the right thing by bowing out gracefully, there you have it, it was a mark of protest. Rafique in fact wanted to carry on for another year! Same old gesture sports politics from same old bengalis...

cricket_pagol
March 4, 2008, 04:22 AM
Thank Miraz bhai for the stunning interview... Rafique really spoke from his heart!!!

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 04:52 AM
The reason he was left out of the NZ tour was becasue he bowled poorly in the preceeding series against sri lanka! There was nothing political about it!

Still he was the best spinner by quite a distance.

He bowled poorly in one series and gets dropped, tell me what should have happened to our batsmen then?

abu2abu
March 4, 2008, 05:02 AM
Still he was the best spinner by quite a distance.

He bowled poorly in one series and gets dropped, tell me what should have happened to our batsmen then?

With respect that's an inaccurate comparison. The batters were poor, but the best we've got and we're not known for our quality test batters. Rafique is widely regarded as a quality spinner, so we are entitled to expect better from him. also, unlike the batting, when a spinner doesn't perform we have a wealth of young talent to call upon. When england last toured BD all the commentators said if Enamul was English he'd walk into the england side (this is before the emergence of monty), that's how far he was rated.

If you add to the mix that rafique is clearly heading for retirement, you have a perfectly defendible case for dropping rafique. He may think it unfair, but there's nothing "political" about it...

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 06:04 AM
Moderators, can we have a sticky please???

cricket_pagol
March 4, 2008, 06:23 AM
Miraz bhai, I noticed that Rafique did not talk explicitly about enamul jr, he showered some praises for razzak and a lot of praise for Rubel... I left with the impression that Rafique does not think too highly of enamul.

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 06:54 AM
Miraz bhai, I noticed that Rafique did not talk explicitly about enamul jr, he showered some praises for razzak and a lot of praise for Rubel... I left with the impression that Rafique does not think too highly of enamul.

I have noticed that too.

I think he is very explicit and honest in his opinions. I'll take his words about our spinners, he should know better than anyone else.

Omio
March 4, 2008, 06:55 AM
Thanx Miraz vai,

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 09:45 AM
Moderators, can we have a sticky please???

Thanks for the sticky.

nasimul
March 4, 2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks Miraz bhai for the nice interview.

lamisa
March 4, 2008, 10:15 AM
awesome!ThankS MIRAZ BHAI!

lamisa
March 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
i lik it about him that he is honest and explicit.

akabir77
March 4, 2008, 10:47 AM
well all the information here was already known to me. Nothing new. Actually was very disappointed. But thanks to Miraz bhai for putting it together. at least more people will know about his past now.

BTW for those who didn't knew

Rafiq once fainted when BCB (pre Test era) arranged an Blood drive. He couldn't take it. He fainted while not giving blood too. He was just watching when he was standing in the line.

Another one. He had to swim across the river to the practice some times when he was late and there were no boat or he had no money.

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 11:08 AM
well all the information here was already known to me. Nothing new. Actually was very disappointed. But thanks to Miraz bhai for putting it together. at least more people will know about his past now.

Sorry that you are disappointed, but I don't think you knew almost everything before. I have never heard these two points from Rafique before and I was quite impressed to see his organized thoughts.

BanglaCricket: You were part of Bangladesh’s inaugural Test squad and now retiring in which will be Bangladesh’s 53rd Test. Why Bangladesh has failed to establish itself as a Test nation and good performances are so few and far between?
MR : I feel we haven’t done enough to raise the standard of our game. We need to play Test cricket regularly without any break and at the same time we must build proper infrastructure and facilities for cricketers. One without the other will not work. We still do not have a proper infrastructure in place after 7 long years which is a shame. We had a break from Test cricket which worked against us. We have suffered a number of wrong decisions from umpires on crucial occasions which didn’t help to build the confidence in the young Bangladesh team. One or two win would have done wonders to the mindset of the young Bangladesh team and the scenario could have been different.
Another problem is in our policy. Our team management never enjoys full freedom to select playing XI. The coach and captain should have the major say in deciding the playing XI. We must stop the practice to tell the playing XI over telephone. This prevents coach and captain to implement their vision to take the team forward. We need people with passion to run the show and without a professional cricket board; it will take longer than usual to establish Bangladesh as a Test nation.

http://banglacricket.com/pictures/newpic223.jpg (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/picture.php?vm=223) Mohammad Rafique celebrates his hundred against West Indies at St Lucia, May 29, 2004

BanglaCricket: Lot has been said over the years about the domestic infrastructure. Do you have any specific suggestions?

MR : My suggestion is simple. Train coaches from overseas academies and build sufficient indoors in divisional headquarters. If we can do these two things, the rest will happen with time. We cannot play cricket for about 6 months due to monsoon and we badly need indoors for this period of the year. Cricketers should be within the game for 12 months to stay fit and bring intensity to their game. And we need good coaches to teach basics to the youngsters. A good number of players are playing top level cricket without learning the basics mainly because they didn’t have the opportunity to see a trained coach. We have large population and we need a very good number of trained coaches at different levels to develop our overall standard of cricket.

akabir77
March 4, 2008, 11:16 AM
You are right Miraz Bhai. His suggestion about domestic cricket was news to me. but i don't think that will happen. But call coming from Bdesh during forgein tour is nothing new. Farook got in to the WC99 using his power and links cause he was never a good batsmen to get into that squad. Anyway Like i said many of us didn't knew about many thing about rafiq and this will increase their knowledge about him.

Anyway good work.

I guess i was hoping he will pin point some people like Durjoy shala called me 3 times and told me look at my power i have dropped you from ODI even after taking 4 wickets... or something... lol

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 11:23 AM
He is lot more polished than many of us think.

He never mentioned any names to me or anywhere.

BTW, he did say something which I didn't include in the interview.

Like, I asked him about his plan with his son. Whether he would develop him as a cricketer.. etc..

He is not interested to bring his kids to cricket, he wants his son to be an army officer and serve the country in a different capacity.

Ishtylish cricketer
March 4, 2008, 11:24 AM
It made for a very sad read. If why he was not selected due to political push for other players who were much inferior to him then we ought to be ashamed. As he rightfully said, the loser in this was the country not him. I have a lot of respect for this guy...he made it from nowhere and truely serves as a good ambassador for the game of cricket. The best thing about any sport is that irrespective of colour, religion and background, everyone puts on the same uniform and puts in for the one cause of winning. Politics should have no parts in team selection unfortunately, it still happens and will continue to happen. What is anti-corruption unit's stance in that matter? I personally feel that they should step in to restore this as well ala congress style in USA with steroid usage issue.

Ishtylish cricketer
March 4, 2008, 11:26 AM
Like, I asked him about his plan with his son. Whether he would develop him as a cricketer.. etc..
He is not interested to bring his kids to cricket, he wants his son to be an army officer and serve the country in a different capacity.

Raffique is a soldier on and off the field.

Miraz
March 4, 2008, 11:41 AM
Check this link

Cricinfo Magazine (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/magazine)

Rafique's interview has got the special treatment there.

Salute to Rafique.

Murad
March 4, 2008, 01:26 PM

WOW

REally??

He is a real desh premi. Salute korte ichcha kortese :)

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2008, 02:22 PM
wow!!! I never knew he was a seamer at first:-|:blush:

That was a good read, Thanks Miraz bhaiya :)
And before he was a seamer he was a football player and a good one. :)

Tigers_eye
March 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
Sri Lanka series is a dark chapter for M Rafique. He had his son sick. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do. Hence in the game Rafique didn't have any emotion.

(It may not be political) M Rafique did convey to BCB that he can not play for Dhaka outside Dhaka. That did not sit well with Ash (Dhaka captain) and others including some fans like me. Team/practice comes first over personal commitments as long as that is not health related issues. This happened when the board clearly announced that based on the performance the teams would be selected for NZ tour. So getting a call for NZ citing political reasons, I don't think he can win a case.

Now was he robbed by these folks earlier? definitely. Did these folks told Siddons he was 45? Definitely? Was there malicious intend? Ofcourse.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS, "BOTH PARTY HAS FAULT". ek hatey tali bajey na.

No matter why he is retiring (protest), he is going away from the game while he can perform. That alone is setting a precedent in BD culture. We all over stay our welcome. Khaled Mahmood, JO, HB prime example.

Foozy
March 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
Nice work Miraz! This is really good stuff.

Ajfar
March 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
thnx miraz bhai..this is gud stuff..i think out of all of BD players in Rafiq's generation..he retired at the best time..

BD Tigers
March 4, 2008, 07:33 PM
Great job Miraz bhai.

Hope he played few more tests and brought Rubel with him as I dont see any future in Razzak or Shakib in Tests.

Nocturnal
March 4, 2008, 08:03 PM
Well composed Miraz bhai-thanks.

One World
March 4, 2008, 09:21 PM
Superb piece.

It does not surprise us anymore. Truth is fans are cheated in every series or tournament, at every level. Rafiq just echoed the open secret.

ialbd
March 4, 2008, 10:08 PM
nice work Miraz bhai....

we all want Rafiq to stick to BD cricket..... so much to gain from his vast experience (same applies for Pilot & Bashar [p.s: bashar plz retire....:)] )

PoorFan
March 4, 2008, 11:11 PM
Nice read Miraz, I feel tired being saying 'great job' every time you do. Only those young losers showed half of your ( and other BC stuffs ) determination and dedication to BD cricket ... we might be standing in a different level by now.

Keep up the good work please.:flag:

Miraz
March 5, 2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for your encouragements.

auntu
March 5, 2008, 02:37 PM
d pic is realy great one.
Salute to him

AsifTheManRahman
March 5, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hmm...all I can say is the interview didn't turn out to be as controversial as I'd thought it would. Rafique hardly said anything about selection issues that most of us didn't hear before; there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to prove that the current bunch is corrupted (they could very well be, but the interview doesn't prove much).

Good to know about his visions though - and that's all that really matters. Here's to hoping that he'll be able to serve as a coach/groundsman in the future.

Miraz
March 5, 2008, 04:02 PM
Good to know about his visions though - and that's all that really matters. Here's to hoping that he'll be able to serve as a coach/groundsman in the future.

IMO, those are the most valuable parts of the interview. He has very simple but effective thoughts.

Tintin
March 6, 2008, 02:11 AM
Permanent link - http://www.webcitation.org/5W568j6a2

Miraz
March 6, 2008, 03:59 AM
Permanent link - http://www.webcitation.org/5W568j6a2

That's nice.

Thanks Tintin.

Pundit
March 6, 2008, 04:37 PM
Just read the DS interview of Shakib - apparently Ash get's nervous while playing, because the games get telecast!!

Amazing! How did he conclude that - because Shakib's team played well in the warm up?

Murad
March 6, 2008, 05:03 PM
bhai eta match thread na... bhul jaigai post ta korlen..

obosso apnar dosh na.. eta sticky dekhei vabhsen match thread :D