PDA

View Full Version : Is the sun of Aussie empire Setting?

BD-Shardul
March 5, 2008, 01:56 AM
What do you think guys? I think their empire is sinking. Paying price for too much arrogance.

Surfer
March 5, 2008, 02:29 AM
It could be the beginning of the end. They fell flat the moment their so called mental games fell flat.

Whatever you say of Harbhajan Singh, you have to really admire his mental strength. I had never before seen the media of an entire continent get after one guy so very consistently. So much so that even when he scratched his sweating armpits, he made headlines. Inspite of all these, Bhajji stood tall and took is sweet revenge.

So, if you can negate their stupid mental games and match their sledges with sledges, they are not what they look like.

AsifTheManRahman
March 5, 2008, 02:42 AM
Probably not. It's just a dip, like the one they had a couple of years ago. They'll be back soon.

nzfan
March 5, 2008, 02:57 AM
people said this when we whitewashed them in the chappel hadlee series but we all know how that turned out(who won the world cup?)

tonoy
March 5, 2008, 04:09 AM
This is ridiculous! A team loses one series and you start talking as if they are out of their dominance. Did everyone forget that the Aussies lost the CB series last year also along with losing the chapell hadlee series too? And then people were also counting them out for the world cup. Repeat of history hmm? The only way we will be sure that their dominance will end is if they had lost the world cup. And so far, we haven't seen that have we? We have seen this happening before(ashes 2005, south Africa series, CB series last year, and chapell Hadlee series). These guys will bounce back on the right time. Just watch Out for them on the Champions Trophy.

nobody
March 5, 2008, 04:24 AM
it is not the lose but the way they lose. Probably beginning of the end.

BD-Shardul
March 5, 2008, 04:38 AM
Well Oz lost a series against NZ, but their batting-bowling was OK. This time their batting collapsed almost in every match.

Alien
March 5, 2008, 06:23 AM
\This time their batting collapsed almost in every match.

Which is why they lost. Doh!

Sovik
March 5, 2008, 07:18 AM
they lost 2007 CB series and won the worldcup. you can't write them off.

Rabz
March 5, 2008, 01:15 PM
The only reason i see them loosing this series is Ponting's rare off-form.
After being in the peak of his game for past few years continuosly, when he scored a gizillion run and a century in almost every other match, his form took a sudden dip against the indians throughout the test and the more importantly in the odi's.

Batting at number 3, he has been instrumental in scripting Aussie wins over the years. His (temporary) loss of form is inevitable, it can happen to anyone anytime.

Plus with all the drama surrounding the series, being the captain and the senior most player in the team took a toll on him surely.

India was lucky enough to keep thier most important and senior player,Tendulkar, out of controversy. Well its more of Tendu's amazing gift of keeping out of controversy throughout his career. While india had youngsters like Dhoni managing on the field and others doing the talking, Ponting had it all by himself even when others were doing the deeds.

...... thats where Aussies came undone.

But this does not mean the set is setting.

They will regroup and bite back hard.
Mark my words.

Nafi
March 5, 2008, 03:43 PM
If they continue like this through the following series, then truly, it is the BEGINNING of the END

Bengaliprince176
March 5, 2008, 04:06 PM
i dont think so, australia were comprehensively beaten in the 1st final, but 2nd final was close. also australia were the first team to get thru to finals i think, India shudnt get carried away they always do this, their opening partnership till the end was inconsistent, Gambhir faded away towards end of the series, and Utthapa played a good innings in the last match, yet some people think thats the end of the opening problem.....Tendulkar played admirably as usual, funny when he was going thru all that tennis elbow problems last australia tour, people were saying endulkar and all that rubbish

al Furqaan
March 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
beggining of the end. question is can india's batting keep them in the top 2-3 or even take them to #1 once the big 4 retire?

insideedge
March 5, 2008, 07:53 PM
Australians were defeated because they could not succeed in their sustained mental disintegration campaign. Indians handled the pressure much better than the Australians themselves.

And the Australians were caught unawares when faced with Praveen Kumar, someone they had no chance to video analyse, and who could swing the ball like crazy ( Ian Chappeell compared him to Bob Massie).

Just because India has beaten Australia does not mean that other teams will now regularly start beating Australia. No chance. The same Australian batsmen who were "out of form" against India were "in form" when facing Sri Lankans. And I have no doubt they will "regain" their form as soon as they start facing other opposition.

Nafis_BD
March 5, 2008, 08:48 PM
This is too early to tell. So what they had a bad series/match? Everyone has a bad match or series. Not only that many of their players are off form currently which is mainly why their batting was not that good. I don't think we should comment on this soo early. Having a bad game or series is not unusual and it certainly doesn't mean its the end of the team. If they are unsuccessful in the next couple of series then and only then I might think that this is the beginning of their end.

Australia is a world champion team and it would certainly take more than a couple of series losses for them to end their domination in the cricket world. These are the facts and you can't deny them untill you see the facts changing and Austarlia actually doing bad consistently.

This thread wasn't unexpected for me though. It's like when BD wins a couple of matches and everyone starts opening thread on how this might be the new beginning and all that but the very next match they lose miserably. Just like that Australia is going to come back the next match/series and and start dominating again. Though I would keep a close watch on their next couple of games which could help us find out how Australia is playing and whether their time of domination really is over.

Anher
March 5, 2008, 10:54 PM
I would answer it other way
The sun of Indian empire is rising

James90
March 5, 2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah. I agree with that.

Australia might struggle a bit until they find a new spinner but they have enough other players to step up and ensure they're the best. India's not far behind though.

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Knockout_U

Yeah. I agree with that.

me too. South Africa lost the number one spot after Rhodes retired. Oz has been on the 'lucky' end of some very dubious decisions, since Warne retired.

India are the fastest rising team, but do they have a Rhodes or a Warne?

A three way test series on neutral territory (England) between SA, India and Oz would be amazing. The poms can look and learn about the game they invented.

Murad
March 6, 2008, 05:50 PM
They will bounce back. Just wait and see what they do against India later this year.

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 06:02 PM
i think oz are terrified of india.

Slater582
March 6, 2008, 07:01 PM
South Africa lost the number one spot after Rhodes retired.

Really?

A three way test series on neutral territory (England) between SA, India and Oz would be amazing.

I think SA & Australia would be more suited to the English pitches than the Indians.

It's natural to have a dip when you lose so many major parts of your team. Justin Langer, an average of 45 in 105 Tests, from 93-07. Damien Martyn, average of 46 in 67 tests, from 92-07. Add in one of the greatest double acts in Test cricket; Shane Warne, 145 Tests, second highest wicket taker of all time with 708 - at an average of 25. And then you have Glen Mcgrath, 124 Tests, 563 wickets @ 22.

And now Adam Gilchrist, not only a great 'keeper of course but an average of 48 in 96 Tests...with one of the highest S/R of all time I think.

Most of these guys greats in ODI also.

Australia have been miles ahead of the rest for a decade or more now, and it's natural for them to come back to the rest of the pack at some time.

A fine grass roots level, great coaching & facilities, good climate, competitive nature & the best Domestic system in World cricket will ensure they're always around the top.

I don't think they'll be as far ahead as they have been this past decade though.

Agree that India are rising...but they'll have to re-structure their batting line-up at some point.

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 07:18 PM
I think SA & Australia would be more suited to the English pitches than the Indians.

Perhaps they can play in Bangladesh or zimbabwe? Or Ireland would be good, as its an unknown territory. But it needs crowds. How about the USA?

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
Quote:
South Africa lost the number one spot after Rhodes retired.

Really?
yes mr slater, thats exactly how it happenned.

http://www.geocities.com/gwozok/profera.html
this link shows SA at the top as the millenium closes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonty_Rhodes
this link has the following quote : "Rhodes retired from Test cricket in 2000"

He was the difference, between oz and sa at the time. Not just by fielding, but his attitude just made the ozzies rattled, and he is the type of guy that lifts his own side when the heads drop.

;-j

Gowza
March 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
yes australia have suffered some big losses, i think we'll be fine for the moment though. but once the current over 30s retire (internationals and state cricketers) then we'll really comeback to the field unless some of the current under 30s really step up in the next few years. atm we have some really good over 30 back up batsmen and our bowlers are doing enough atm plus we have a couple of pacers not in the national team who could do just as well maybe better.

but tbh the current under 30s aren't nearly as impressive as the current over 30s, we definitely have some talents but for some reason i don't think they'll be as consistent as our current over 30s. but then again players around ponting's age might not retire for another 4-5 years and by then you never know what our depth will be like, could increase or could decrease by that time.

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 07:50 PM
I just wish the windies would catch a wake up. I really miss them.

nzfan
March 7, 2008, 02:58 AM
you won't see the west indies as a cricket force again, too close to the united states

Surfer
March 7, 2008, 04:21 AM
I think most of us agree that its more about India rising than Asutralia going down. With the under 19 world cup secured, I am sure Indian cricket has a very bright future.

JonBain
March 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
Yes, oz is great for cricket. For oz, cricket is the highest achievement, their admin and selection is the envy of the cricket world. windies will do it again, as cricket means so much to them, they just need to import some oz administrators.

Surfer
March 10, 2008, 12:36 AM
Yes, oz is great for cricket. For oz, cricket is the highest achievement, their admin and selection is the envy of the cricket world. windies will do it again, as cricket means so much to them, they just need to import some oz administrators.

WICB is one of the most messed up boards in the world. Once they sort things out, WI will be a much better team.

smashyboy
March 10, 2008, 01:19 AM
It requires more than out of form of Australia for a subcontinent team to beat them at Perth against 4 pronged pace attack. If their bowling fails batting will click and vice versa. But most often both would click. It is rare they fail in all departments which they did. They were against decent attack. it is not the first time India/Australia series produced some great cricket in the last 10 years. Probably Indian style of game and Australian style of game complement each other.

JonBain
March 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
WICB is one of the most messed up boards in the world

Perhaps its time that the windies broke up their islands into seperate teams. It would enrich the game greatly. They have no lack of talent. Perhaps too many cooks spoiling the broth. They could import a half dozen oz administrators to smooth things over.

Damn those oz administrators. They're on clever drugs or something.

Could you send a couple over to SA as well. Klusener might even get a game then sometime before his 60th birthday.

Slater582
March 12, 2008, 06:46 PM
yes mr slater, thats exactly how it happenned.

http://www.geocities.com/gwozok/profera.html
this link shows SA at the top as the millenium closes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonty_Rhodes
this link has the following quote : "Rhodes retired from Test cricket in 2000"

He was the difference, between oz and sa at the time. Not just by fielding, but his attitude just made the ozzies rattled, and he is the type of guy that lifts his own side when the heads drop.

;-j

I remember that, South Africa were, for a very brief time ahead of OZ. They were ahead of OZ in the ODI rankings before the World Cup started, didn't make them the better team. When was the last time South Africa beat Australia in a Test series btw?

Slater582
March 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
Perhaps its time that the windies broke up their islands into seperate teams.

Some of their supporters advocate that, I think they struggle enough to find talent as it is, let alone seperate islands...