PDA

View Full Version : Who can beat Lara's 400?

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 04:37 PM
I reckon Graeme Smith is the only likely candidate, but only if he bats at #4.
He should get to at least 300 if he bats at #4.
How come Sachin scores so many 100's but not too many really big scores?

Nafi
March 6, 2008, 04:48 PM
Me :lol:

Miraz
March 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
Smith is a possibility, but he should continue at opening slot. He will get the opportunity to face maximum number of deliveries as an opener.

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
It is hard work opening. It tires you out. Lara's big scores came at 4. Not sure about Sobers, but I think he was at about 4 too. You can score quicker if someone else wears the new ball down for you. As far as I remember all the best scores are at #4. Can anyone confirm this?

Murad
March 6, 2008, 05:06 PM
Murad from NYC

AsifTheManRahman
March 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
Habibul Bashar will break it, 7/8 months from now.

Tigers_eye
March 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
Jayawardene came close. 374. I don't see Smith breaking or even getting close to 300. The reason is in the wickets he normally plays. To break 400 one must score 300 first. That eliminates alot of wannabes. Unless Zimbabwe starts playing test cricket again. Their bowling is worse than ours. They also have batting pitches. SA will be the first one to visit them then. May be Smith will be in the hunt again.

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 05:25 PM
To break 400 one must score 300 first
This is why he must bat at #4. His scores read like
average = 67
It is better for an opener to score 40, 50, 60, (avg 50) from the point of view of the team.

What pos did Jayawardene bat at for the 374?

al Furqaan
March 6, 2008, 05:55 PM
Unless Zimbabwe starts playing test cricket again. Their bowling is worse than ours.

mijan bhai very disappointed...you make it sound like our bowling sucks. you can't get SA out for 170 with crap bowlers.

an in form mash + rajib + whoever else you throw in is more or less a Test class bowling attack.

look at england conceding 470 to the same NZ team we bundled out for < 400 each time. i don't suspect these pitches are any flatter than the ones we played on couple months ago.

al Furqaan
March 6, 2008, 05:55 PM
no one will beat Lara's 400* cuz u have to be not out to beat it too.

but unless its a real flat pitch, i doubt it.

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
but unless its a real flat pitch, i doubt it. lara came to the wicket at 11/2 or something. Facing a whitewash nogal. If noone beats his 400, then the windies are still going to be in his shadow, and we need the windies in the top 4 at least. so someone had better try. What pos did Jayawardene bat at for the 374?

Gowza
March 6, 2008, 06:23 PM
the question is whether anyone will get the time to do it rather than can anyone do it, i mean mahela (374), hayden (380) and sehwag (309), gayle (317) all have test triples. jayasuriya had one but now he's retired from test cricket and the next best of the active players is sangakkara's 287.

the opportunity to be able to score that many runs is rare and even if the opportunity arises the player has to actually do it. there are a number of players who "can" beat it but i don't think there are any active players who "will". smith has a better chance than most because he's got a better highest score than most and he has more time on his side than most of the others who could do it.

Anher
March 6, 2008, 06:33 PM
Sangakkara going to do it although smith is a contender.

Sovik
March 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
It is hard work opening. It tires you out. Lara's big scores came at 4. Not sure about Sobers, but I think he was at about 4 too. You can score quicker if someone else wears the new ball down for you. As far as I remember all the best scores are at #4. Can anyone confirm this?

he batted at 3 when he scored 400

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 06:41 PM
jayawardenes 374 was scored at position number 4
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/fds/hi/statistics/cricket/scorecards/2006/7/12996/html/scorecard.stm

Slater582
March 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
no one will beat Lara's 400* cuz u have to be not out to beat it too.

but unless its a real flat pitch, i doubt it.

Hmm. The beauty of the Lara innings for me was that he was the first man to scale 400. Noone can take that away from him.

Of the current batters...as has been said Jayawardene could do it. Maybe Kumar.

What about Mohammed Yousuf or Jacques Kallis?

JonBain
March 6, 2008, 07:11 PM
You're right the 400 was at number three. But I think the 375 was at number 4, i can't find record of that game tho.

But my point is that its tough to get the real big scores when opening. The ball must be a bit worn down to score quickly. And Smith would do better because he gets out early too often playing on as an opener because his style is too attacking for opening in a test. He would just do better at number 4.

Kallis? He's a bit slow to get to 400. Smith is the only guy that can wack it around a bit. Is jayawardene still playing?

Tendulkar does not seem to be able to go on much. Has he got to 200 yet? Seems odd that he gets so many 100's, but no really big scores. Fitness?

Gowza
March 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
tendulkar has something like 9 doubles i think. kallis has none and jayawardene is still playing as far as i'm aware.

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/58/58746.html

the 375 was at #3.

Surfer
March 7, 2008, 12:50 AM
the question is whether anyone will get the time to do it rather than can anyone do it, i mean mahela (374), hayden (380) and sehwag (309), gayle (317) all have test triples. jayasuriya had one but now he's retired from test cricket and the next best of the active players is sangakkara's 287.

the opportunity to be able to score that many runs is rare and even if the opportunity arises the player has to actually do it. there are a number of players who "can" beat it but i don't think there are any active players who "will". smith has a better chance than most because he's got a better highest score than most and he has more time on his side than most of the others who could do it.

You hit the nail on the head. Lets not forget that Lara was the captain of the side when he scored that 400 and he allowed himself the luxury against any possibility of winning the game. Thats a risk another captain is unlike to take. Most captains would prefer going for a result than letting a batsman enough time to score 400.

Tintin
March 7, 2008, 01:07 AM
You hit the nail on the head. Lets not forget that Lara was the captain of the side when he scored that 400 and he allowed himself the luxury against any possibility of winning the game. Thats a risk another captain is unlike to take. Most captains would prefer going for a result than letting a batsman enough time to score 400.

Right, but it may be possible to bat longer if the team is batting second - like if the other side is all out before the end of the first day, the team batting second can afford to bat till the fourth morning (as in Jayawardene case), or if the first team made a big score on a dead track, and there is no chance that the test will have a result (Jayasuriya). If the team is batting first, only someone like Sehwag can score a 400 in five sessions or thereabouts.

nzfan
March 7, 2008, 02:53 AM
the team you bundled out didn't contain jamie how or ross taylor, if you look at the test match threads you will see somewhere me saying that jamie how should of gotten the test instead of craig cumming, and the pitch is alot flatter than the pitches you played on. New Zealand playing two spinners is almost unheard of

Surfer
March 7, 2008, 04:01 AM
I just opened that match and had a closer look. Lets see more closely at the match in which Lara scored that 400. WI batted first and Lara came in at 33/1. He batted on till the afternoon of day 3. He decided that the pitch was too flat for a result and hence was of no consequence. But England lost two wickets immediately and were 48/2 at tea. By the time the match ended, England had lost 15 wickets. There was a clear chance of winning the match had Lara not gone after the record. That was, I have to say, a bit selfish from a captain.

Sovik
March 7, 2008, 01:04 PM
I just opened that match and had a closer look. Lets see more closely at the match in which Lara scored that 400. WI batted first and Lara came in at 33/1. He batted on till the afternoon of day 3. He decided that the pitch was too flat for a result and hence was of no consequence. But England lost two wickets immediately and were 48/2 at tea. By the time the match ended, England had lost 15 wickets. There was a clear chance of winning the match had Lara not gone after the record. That was, I have to say, a bit selfish from a captain.

you got to appreciate mark taylor's effort, he was the only batsman who didn't go for the record.

you can't blame lara for that. if it wasn't for his 400 runs, windies would have lost.

JonBain
March 7, 2008, 02:31 PM
Who has the highest score in a match that had a result?

Sovik
March 7, 2008, 04:15 PM

mathew hayden. 380. against Zimbabwe

Spitfire_x86
March 7, 2008, 04:37 PM
The series was already lost. His personal record increased glory of WI far more than a win in a dead rubber could. Most of us remember that test only because of his record.

One World
March 7, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hope it does not happen against BD.

sandpiper
March 7, 2008, 08:24 PM
Q: Who can beat Lara's 400 ?
A: Nobody

Sohel
March 8, 2008, 01:37 AM

Except Lara himself ... :)

karimjay.
March 8, 2008, 07:22 AM
Tendulkar deserves to.

DRAVID LOL.

Kabir
March 8, 2008, 09:26 AM
The series was already lost. His personal record increased glory of WI far more than a win in a dead rubber could. Most of us remember that test only because of his record.

Ditto.

Surfer: I don't see why that would be a selfish thing to do. You don't expect Lara to have seen those 15 wickets going in a crystal bowl, right?

JonBain
March 9, 2008, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBain

mathew hayden. 380. against Zimbabwe

hmpph.
Let me rephrase that

What is the highest score against one of the real cricket teams :
(oz, windies, sa, india, england, pakistan, sri lanka)

sorry if i'm being a bit picky here, Tigers.

nzfan
March 9, 2008, 10:22 PM
lol jonbain you are a joke, with basicly every post you make you say how much you hate the black caps why is it? come on explain it to me properly? I mean you even left them out of the teams you class as real cricket teams even though they thrashed england considering the amount of players we have had retire in the last few years. We are third in the one day rankings and still you won't class us as a proper team, and have the guts to say that a west indies on the outer are a better team

Spitfire_x86
March 10, 2008, 05:26 AM
hmpph.
Let me rephrase that

What is the highest score against one of the real cricket teams :
(oz, windies, sa, india, england, pakistan, sri lanka)

sorry if i'm being a bit picky here, Tigers.
Zimbabwe was a decent team when Hayden made that 380

JonBain
March 10, 2008, 06:14 PM
TO NZFAN

The long story:
http://www.poseidons.net/Thesis.htm

The short story:
http://www.random-games.com/new-zealand-immigration-department/new-zealand-immigration.htm

The 'legal story'
http://www.2010-south-africa.org/literature/Appendix-F.htm

In 37 years of living in Africa I have had about us$2 000 in total stolen from me. I lived for ten years in a ghetto town with 80% unemployment.

In 1 year of living in Aotorea, I had over us$20 000 stolen and defrauded from me by your people. Most of which were wealthier than I.

And you ask why?

PS
Does a NZ fan suck the air out of a room?
Everything in that place is backward.

nzfan
March 10, 2008, 08:01 PM
So you judge me because the way my government acts? I am not a racist, i am definately not a pedophile. If i was a racist would i have been supporting the tigers for the past 8 years? And why did you live in Auckland? i can't even afford to buy a house there or pay the rent. I live in the south island.

djnaved
March 10, 2008, 09:44 PM
Misbah ul haque or hashim amla

amit1
March 11, 2008, 01:13 PM
i cant understand y didnt anyone talk of virender sehwag. if sehwag gets going, he wont take more than 450-500 balls to score 400 and it will take about 150 overs(approx 5 sessions) for sehwag to break laras 400*. sehwag is the only likely candidate out of current cricketers who has a chance of breaking laras record of 400*

My_Wayz
March 11, 2008, 01:22 PM
kumar sangakarra from Sri lanka is a great test batsman and he can break the record everyone

what do u think so?

Surfer
March 12, 2008, 12:20 AM
i cant understand y didnt anyone talk of virender sehwag. if sehwag gets going, he wont take more than 450-500 balls to score 400 and it will take about 150 overs(approx 5 sessions) for sehwag to break laras 400*. sehwag is the only likely candidate out of current cricketers who has a chance of breaking laras record of 400*

You have a very good point there Amit. You need a fast scorer to beat that record. Sehwag can score fast and can play for a long time. He is a very likely candidate.

Rabz
March 12, 2008, 01:08 PM
Geoffry Boycott,
or may be his Grandma.

Bengaliprince176
March 12, 2008, 01:28 PM
Geoffry Boycott,
or may be his Grandma.

lol i think its about time we see this grandma in action for once, all talk she is!!

maybe sehwag on a good day can do it. but note most likely on a flat pitch in sub continent.

BD-Shardul
March 13, 2008, 01:39 AM
Rokibul Hasan :-D

Shehwar
March 13, 2008, 04:48 AM
Sangakara is my man...

Sohel
March 13, 2008, 05:34 AM
Sangakara is my man...

Actually bro, that's definitely a possibility. I won't count Mahela out either just yet.

Gayle and Sehwag? I think not ! GOD given superior hand-eye coordination coupled with bad footwork can get you one 300 per career, but 400 ? ! No way dude !!!

The Indians who have the talent, technique and the temperament to do it but never could: Tendy, Dravid and VVS ... pure class.

The Pakistani who has the talent, technique and the temperament to do it but never could: Muhammad Yususf ... pure class.

The Aussies who have the talent, technique and the temperament to do it and may do it: Hayden and Ponting ... pure class.

The South African who has the talent and the temperament to do it and may do it: GS Smith ... pure class.

al-Sagar
March 13, 2008, 05:46 AM
graeme smith

dhoni/sehwag/yuvraj

misbah ul haq

kevin piteson

cricket_pagol
March 13, 2008, 06:13 AM
Rokibul Hasan :-D

Ashraful... when he is 26!!!

Rabz
March 14, 2008, 03:58 AM
dhoni/sehwag/yuvraj

Yuvraj making 400?? :doh::doh:

mee don think so.....

auntu
March 14, 2008, 05:49 AM
It was Heyden he was the record breaker now....... any aussie i guess

BanCricFan
March 14, 2008, 07:53 AM
An Alok Kapali without mental block....hey, you never know!

thebest
March 14, 2008, 09:11 AM
Either Nazimuddin or Ashraful:-p

irteja
March 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
[বাংলা]
ইরতেজা আলী
[/বাংলা]

al-Sagar
March 28, 2008, 08:52 AM
looks like SEHWAG is on the verge of doing it tomorrow

irteja
March 28, 2008, 09:20 AM
Viru

Bengaliprince176
March 28, 2008, 09:55 AM
lol i think its about time we see this grandma in action for once, all talk she is!!

maybe sehwag on a good day can do it. but note most likely on a flat pitch in sub continent.

just call me AMAZINGLY PSYCHIC prince176 from now on...:smug:

(p.s i reli hope i havent jinxed sehwag...i just cudnt resist...)

Rabz
March 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
He is certainly threatning Lara's record, no doubt about it.
But can he brake it?

Let's wait till tomorrow.

Dhurr
March 28, 2008, 10:13 AM
What an innings!

bulbul_fan
March 28, 2008, 11:48 AM
shewag!!

RezOne
March 28, 2008, 11:58 AM
Only time I'll be rooting for an Indian cricket player. Let's hope Sehwag breaks the record. Amazing innings. Truly awesome.

Sovik
March 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
lets wait till tomorrow. i hope he doesn't do it

Nocturnal
March 28, 2008, 12:56 PM
What a glorious innings. Not Out -309 end of 3rd day play. Hopefully he will get that magic figure 400!! :)

One World
March 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
Stupid South Africa bowling!
Now the Carribean flavor is getting distorted ;)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AYd6bGhPM0g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AYd6bGhPM0g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Kana-Baba
March 29, 2008, 12:25 AM
wow.. lara retains his record..

sandpiper
March 29, 2008, 01:50 AM
I told you :)

Sovik
March 29, 2008, 04:08 AM
wooohoooooooooo

BUDDIN
March 29, 2008, 07:40 AM
kNOWONE!.....EXCEPT HABIBUL BASHAR!!!!!:-p

Sovik
March 29, 2008, 08:59 AM
i am so relieved

cricket_dorshok
March 29, 2008, 05:34 PM
i am so relieved

I was confident that Shewag won't score 400!

Kabir
March 29, 2008, 06:41 PM
I appreciate Sehwag's innings. Even yesterday I said that playing an innings like this is simply the most incredible tasks that one can do. But even after saying all that, I still have to say that Sehwag is an overly extra mega ultra over-rated player.

al-Sagar
March 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
well.............

if india bats first and gets a same pitch like this in any of the next tests .......................

sehwag bats 4-5 sessions .................................

400 is on

desirocker
March 29, 2008, 11:34 PM
khaled masud

desirocker
March 29, 2008, 11:35 PM
Javed omar

karimjay.
March 30, 2008, 01:07 AM
Ishant Sharma.

Sovik
March 30, 2008, 05:59 AM
well.............

if india bats first and gets a same pitch like this in any of the next tests .......................

sehwag bats 4-5 sessions .................................

400 is on

like he's plays like that in every tests

jusarrived
March 30, 2008, 11:04 PM
it wont be surprised if shewag breaks it eventually !!

Surfer
March 31, 2008, 01:11 AM
like he's plays like that in every tests

All of his last 10 centuries have been scores above 150. This guys makes it big when he gets his eye in. I have noticed changes in him since his come back....he now has a much better shot selection and plays a wider range of shots. Its amazing that the triple ton was absolutely chance less.

If you want to break Lara's record, one mendatory requirement is fast scoring. I dont think there is anyone better than Sehwag at the moment in scoring fast in a big innings.

Shaan
March 31, 2008, 01:41 AM
Graeme smith is possible one to break Lara's record, a class batsman. Next one is Kapali:)

Nocturnal
March 31, 2008, 02:00 AM
Mahela/Sangakara against some minnow test team ....more likely us :(

Sovik
April 1, 2008, 01:15 PM
All of his last 10 centuries have been scores above 150. This guys makes it big when he gets his eye in. I have noticed changes in him since his come back....he now has a much better shot selection and plays a wider range of shots. Its amazing that the triple ton was absolutely chance less.

If you want to break Lara's record, one mendatory requirement is fast scoring. I dont think there is anyone better than Sehwag at the moment in scoring fast in a big innings.

shewag always score big centuries. i thought he was gonna break the record against pakistan when he scored 250+. he is good to watch.

BANFAN
April 2, 2008, 02:27 PM
graeme smith

dhoni/sehwag/yuvraj

misbah ul haq

kevin piteson

Puting Dhoni in line with GS, KP, Shehwag is just an insult to all of them.

I have never seen so much over rated a player in my life. A player with one century in 44 innings, might eventually become the captain of India. Many players are strugling to find a place in Indian team with 10 times better career and ability than him.

Gayer jore khela is his style and that will not continue for long at all. He will probably be out of the team in similar dramatic fashion, like his rise.

Slater582
May 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
it wont be surprised if shewag breaks it eventually !!

Hmm I was going to point out he's like 34 or something so if he was going to break the record he'd have to do it soon...but he's only 29 :o

irteja
May 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
shewag in next 2 years

Tigers_eye
May 14, 2008, 01:44 PM
shewag in next 2 years
welcome back. Missed you.

Kabir
May 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
shewag in next 2 years

Touba koren miya. If such an over-rated player beat's such a legend's record...I'll stop following cricket immediately.

cricket_dorshok
May 14, 2008, 02:31 PM
shewag in next 2 years

Touba koren miya. If such an over-rated player beat's such a legend's record...I'll stop following cricket immediately.
He will not be able in next 2 jonom!

nobody
May 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
Thank You; But too old. I am over 40

Sovik
June 5, 2008, 06:59 AM

same here

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2008, 08:29 AM
Pura phatai felsen.

Zeeshan
June 10, 2008, 12:59 PM

LoL @ you for creating an account just to answer this question.... Lolz

Nah I personally was thinking of Ashraful after the Pak match in this tri series where he showed he can slow down his gears but...but my hopeful bet would be:

Saqib al-Hasan after he tried to resuscitate the innings making a century after 4 wickets down. If he shows this type of temperment in Test cricket, the laurel would certainly belong to him. :notworthy:

Sovik
June 10, 2008, 01:15 PM
LoL @ you for creating an account just to answer this question.... Lolz

this account was created long before some one created this thread

Abirz
June 11, 2008, 11:31 AM
Mohammad Yousuf will break it very soon, Allah has his blessings on him :)

Sovik
June 17, 2008, 03:11 PM
Mohammad Yousuf will break it very soon, Allah has his blessings on him :)

Mohammad Yousuf is one of the most gifted batsman but what he doesn't have is Lara's stamina

Yameen
June 17, 2008, 06:07 PM
with tha pace test cricket is being played these days with teams declaring after a day n a half scoring 500 odd, its becoming less and less likely for someone to beat the record. It would take an innings similar to what sehwag did against SA scoring his triple well inside a days play giving a sniff of going on to beat it.

Isnaad
June 17, 2008, 07:49 PM
The record of 400 will be intact for 5 more years. Then a youngster (someone my age :))
will break it and score something like 410 or 420. :) . After 5 years if it comes true, someone please praise me. :D

BANFAN
June 18, 2008, 12:27 AM
Isnaad, Question is who ? Not When ? :)

[All praises for Allah - Alhamdulillah]

Isnaad
June 18, 2008, 06:54 AM
Isnaad, Question is who ? Not When ? :)

[All praises for Allah - Alhamdulillah]

Ok, then I will know the youngster's name after 2 or 3 years maybe :)

Tigers_eye
June 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
...420. :) .
First shunlam nijerey kau 420 koi!! lol. Pura 420.

Isnaad
June 18, 2008, 01:50 PM
First shunlam nijerey kau 420 koi!! lol. Pura 420.

Bhai, you quoted only 5 percent of my writing. Purata poren. So, i see you r in a 420 hunt :). WRONG NUMBERRRRRRR! :D

One World
November 1, 2008, 09:19 AM
Good write up on Lara from Sangakara.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/375538.html