PDA

View Full Version : I don't care if Bangladesh wins today

Dhurr
March 9, 2008, 01:04 AM
Including three (not one, not two, but three) debutants in an eleven-player team is stupidity at best, or admitting defeat even before the first ball is bowled at worst, especially when only three (yes, only three) of the players have played 50 or more matches.

How is it admitting defeat before even a single ball is bowled? Because no team is supposed to win with the kind of youth movement Bangladesh's selectors are going for. If it worked, Australia, South Africa and all the other teams in the world would be comprised exclusively of 18-25 year olds. Anyone who has ever played any team sports, cricket or not, knows this is not the way to win. The coach and the selectors gave up even before the game started.

How is this stupid? Because if the selectors use the excuse that the team is in complete rebuilding mode, well why aren't we giving our players chances? What is the point of bringing in fresh 18 or 19 year olds if they are only going to be tried for one or two series of 2-tests and 3-ODIs? The young players are not given the chance to become better and gain experience by playing at the highest level; they are thrown into the lion's den with the hopes that JODI LAIGGA JAI. The moment they have one or two decent games, they are given short-term BCB contracts. Then they are dropped for another 18-year old.

The current selection panel has no idea what they are doing. Mark my words: there will be NO progress in the next two years if things go the way they are going now. JODI LAIGGA JAI is no way to build a team. I am getting sick and tired of this to the point where I really don't want to watch another game. I followed our cricket through the heartbreak of the ICC days, where we came oh-so-close to playing in the World Cup and couldn't. I followed our cricket even after we came oh-so-close to winning at Multan but couldn't. I followed our cricket, stayed up overnight just to watch us lose test after test by an innings and more. Not once did I stop watching Bangladeshi cricket. Now I am thinking of doing it. Enough is enough.

al Furqaan
March 9, 2008, 01:07 AM
well mushy needed a break...plus he's not ODI material, hence dhiman.

rafiq out, so in comes rubel

and raqib replaced aftab

Dhurr
March 9, 2008, 01:12 AM
I find it hard to believe that our cricketing pipeline is barren to the point where we have to bring in three debutants to fill in for one retired player, one injured player and one out-of-form player.

irteja
March 9, 2008, 02:03 AM
I find it hard to believe that our cricketing pipeline is barren to the point where we have to bring in three debutants to fill in for one retired player, one injured player and one out-of-form player.

spot on..agree 100%

AsifTheManRahman
March 9, 2008, 02:40 AM
well mushy needed a break...plus he's not ODI material, hence dhiman.

rafiq out, so in comes rubel

and raqib replaced aftab

we could still have worked around it. for example, we could have played farhad instead of raqib. how can we expect him to become a world class odi player if we don't even let him play that often?

bulbul_fan
March 9, 2008, 04:25 AM
lol!!!whn did u think bangla will win>???

mshakir56
March 9, 2008, 05:56 AM
As far as batting is concerned, those three debutants didn't seem like inernational quality too me. Lets see how they perform in the next match. I have a feeling that atleast one of them will get dropped in the next match, if not two !

Spitfire_x86
March 9, 2008, 08:58 AM
The problem is not with team selection, it is rather with you.

We are not losing constantly because of debutants. The inability of established players to play well is the main reason of our poor performance.

SMHasan
March 9, 2008, 09:14 AM
I think giving the ODI caps to 3 players in the same match is a bit too much given that we don't have plenty of world class players to cover. Actually it wasn't necessary to play all three young ones, rather we should have tried Nazimuddine since he played for the national team in T20 World Cup.

I don't think this selection panel is more sensible than the previous one. Pathetic.

bdchamp20
March 9, 2008, 09:14 AM
The problem is not with team selection, it is rather with you.

We are not losing constantly because of debutants. The inability of established players to play well is the main reason of our poor performance.
exactly

Dhurr
March 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
Ji bhaijanera, dosh amar. Team selection er kono dosh nai. Apnara duijon 100% right.

Dhurr
March 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
Mattro 4 jon keno, agami series arro 4 jon ke debut den. Karo 8-10 bochor er chele thakle BCB ke contact koren. You might be able to get a 6-month national team contract for your child.

Kabir
March 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Lol. Dhurr bhai...do you care if Bangladesh gets "ahem" THRASHED today?

I'm sure we won't see that word in the front page tomm! ;)

Dhurr
March 11, 2008, 11:23 PM
We will get thrashed EVERY DAY if we don't stop with this "jodi laigga jai" policy. If the selectors continue this pattern of selection after this tour, I will stop following the team for the next two years. I don't follow international cricket as it is; I've been following just the Bangladeshi team religiously the last few years. Now I am on the verge of stopping that too. I will check back in two years, and if I see a bunch of 18-25 year olds in the team then too, I will stop following cricket period.

Kabir
March 11, 2008, 11:26 PM
We do blame the selectors a lot, and that as well from an observer's point of view. If we knew some of the dynamics of the selection criteria, we may have had a different view about them.

Note: I'm not trying to back them up. :)

Dhurr
March 11, 2008, 11:33 PM
I never really blamed the selectors (and I still don't blame any of our coaches) for what's going on, up until now. When you build a sports team, there has to be a plan in place. Do they have a plan? Who are they building around? What is the nucleus of the team? What is the identity of the team? This group of selectors don't have a short-term or a long-term plan in place. What they have in a short-term "jodi laigga jai" gamble. They brought in 4 debutants in one series. What happened to our pipeline? What is the meaning of bringing in 4 debutants in one series, besides "jodi laigga jai"? Since when do debutants start performing from day 1? Are these four gonna be given the opportunity to stick around and prove their worth? If not, why bring them in in the first place? Why drop Junayed after 4 ODIs? This boy scored two 50s in 4 tests and showed us that he has the necessary skillset to play the game; he scored a good Twenty-20 innings and showed that he can play the limited version of the game too. Then why drop him after just four ODIs? What happened to sticking to your young guns and giving them a chance to prove themselves? If Junayed, someone who has somewhat proved his inclusion in the team, is dropped after 4 ODIs, what are the chances that these 4 debutants are gonna be kept around for long? Gahhhhhhhhhhh!