PDA

View Full Version : Change captain ?

Umar
March 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
Some will hate this thread...but look at the negative effects on Ashraful and BD since he became the CAPTAIN!

* He hasnt performed to his level since he was given the responsibility
* YET to win a GAME!
* Hasn't even played a CAPTAINCY knock (maybe one test match against SL as far as i can remember)
* his LUCK or technique for the TOSS is not good enough as he has lost most!
* and the last thing i want to say is...Can't even speak properly.

Although Ash is one of my fav.. still i think he should not be the captain. The main Reason behind this is he is not performing! whatever he has performed a little...is not even close to his TALENT!! so i think we need a CHANGE!

djnaved
March 9, 2008, 12:27 PM
what can i say? Maximum numbers of the bc member will support him anyways..

i prefer sakib or shahriar nafees as a captain... let's see what ash can show at the last 2 odi

Shobha
March 9, 2008, 12:46 PM
Shahriar Nafees!!!!!!!!

Ahmed_B
March 9, 2008, 01:02 PM
as if that is the solution...! [বাংলা]সর্বরোগের মহৌষধ![/বাংলা]

BANFAN
March 9, 2008, 01:05 PM
We get fed up and change our decisions so fast.

I remember, eveyone almost was telling that Ash should be given 3/4 years/ enough time as captain to make any evaluation. He hasn't finished a year.

auntu
March 9, 2008, 01:21 PM
to quick to jump to this conclution

Ash should go for another 2/3 years

auntu
March 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
as if that is the solution...! [বাংলা]সর্বরোগের মহৌষধ![/বাংলা]

right L-)

ajaira pechal hoa gelo na ao thread ta?

BD-Shardul
March 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
Ok guys, since we do not have a player who performs consistently, how about selecting captain in each series? You perform, and then you become the captain. Might trigger unstability in the team, but I think this will inspire players to perform consistently.

BTW, [বাংলা]সর্বরোগের মহৌষধ[/বাংলা] = Batting, battting, batting

sayem
March 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
I was always against Ashraful for captaincy, though he has been with the side for long, he still hasn't developed enough to lead a side..definatley shahariar Nafees or Sakibul Hassan because both of them are thinker of the game. Ashraful has a great eye and talent but he is one of those hit-and- miss -batsmen and his average speaks for it..I think the board has made various mistakes by thinking too much about the future and not making decision based on situation..We need a thinker who is well spoken in front of media and play for the team.It is clearly evident that Ashraful is trying to play sensibly but it doesn't seem to last for long until he palys those silly shots...Definatly not my choice as Captain!

sadi
March 9, 2008, 02:02 PM
Who do you want as a captain? Come on guys.... lets not talk about consistency... who is consistent in our team? Shahriar Nafees just got his form back but still somewhat struggling.... Sakib is not even a permanent fixture in both versions... Ash got the captaincy because there is noone better at this moment.... Changing captain won't help.... our batsmen gotta score.... our bowlers gotta pick up wickets.... our selectors gotta pick the right team.... Ajaira shuta

bdchamp20
March 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
wasnt there a thread about Ashraful's captaincy right after the match? We cant start opening captaincy threads everytime we lose

sayem
March 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
Who do you want as a captain? Come on guys.... lets not talk about consistency... who is consistent in our team? Shahriar Nafees just got his form back but still somewhat struggling.... Sakib is not even a permanent fixture in both versions... Ash got the captaincy because there is noone better at this moment.... Changing captain won't help.... our batsmen gotta score.... our bowlers gotta pick up wickets.... our selectors gotta pick the right team.... Ajaira shutaWhen you say Sakib is not in the perm fixture...why is that may I ask? his average is higher then most bd players, technically better than Ashraful, spends more time in the crease...and also a effective bowler..with Sakib one can expect runs..Not with Ash because he is very unpredictable...

WarWolf
March 9, 2008, 02:15 PM
Md. Ashraful Matin

Murad
March 9, 2008, 02:16 PM
So now you want to change the captain.

I wonder what you will come up again after the 2nd ODI.

AShraful was superb as a captain till the 2nd Test at Ctg last week. I don't know what happend to him that he's following what Bashar used to do. But I'm sure we will not see the same in the 2nd match.

And for winning match as captain?? you guys are funny.

How many matches we played against Kenya and Zimb last year and this year? None right?

And how many matches we won against the big teams before? only few right? THen how you expect wins under his captaincy against the big teams?

All our batsmen doing worse except Tamim. SN plays good for first few overs then he does the KHOCHA that he loves to do always. Shakib used to be a consistend player before but now he's becoming more inconsistent ever. Junaid is failing. Mushy failed. Almost all the batsmen are failing but still you blaming Ashraful not winning matches. I wonder how you expect him to win matches by his captaincy? To win, all our batsmen have to click. Including Ashraful himself.

sadi
March 9, 2008, 02:18 PM
When you say Sakib is not in the perm fixture...why is that may I ask? his average is higher then most bd players, technically better than Ashraful, spends more time in the crease...and also a effective bowler..with Sakib one can expect runs..Not with Ash because he is very unpredictable...

I wont argue about the odi average but he has a test average of 21.... still shaky against quality bowling if you ask me... I like Sakib.... but if you say Sakib is techically better than Ash, then I have to doubt your cricket knowledge... sorry nothing personal but I find it hillarious....

Murad
March 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
And your options for the captaincy... really funny you are.

Let them learn first. SN is still the same as last year. Still playing irresponsible shots to get out after getting set. Shakib is doing okay in the pracice matches but that doesn't mean he can do the same real matches. His batting scores proves that.

Both SN and Shakib plays irresponsible shots to get out. And you want to make them captain. What did they do extraordinary to replace AShraful? I see all the same. Ashraful plays bad shots. So does SN. So does SHakib.

Tokai
March 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
yeah, change captain. make ashraful captain of both test and odi team ;)

:down:

arafath79
March 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
Giving the new ball to Rajjak was a bad captaincy by Ashrafool. Shahadat should have started the bowling with Rasel.

arafath79
March 9, 2008, 03:12 PM

Let them learn first. SN is still the same as last year. Still playing irresponsible shots to get out after getting set. Shakib is doing okay in the pracice matches but that doesn't mean he can do the same real matches. His batting scores proves that.

Both SN and Shakib plays irresponsible shots to get out. And you want to make them captain. What did they do extraordinary to replace AShraful? I see all the same. Ashraful plays bad shots. So does SN. So does SHakib.

Ashrafool kintu kelay modoner moto. Nafees r Sakib kintu onek smart. Toba obossoi oi duijon k consistently bhalo batting korta hobe captain hobar aage.

One World
March 9, 2008, 03:33 PM
Not a solution. Where is the fifth choice? :)

bdmoderator
March 9, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think Shariar Nafees is the perfect person for this job.

Gowza
March 9, 2008, 04:23 PM
shakib is too inexperienced and still in the early stages of development, SN is just starting to get some form back. i'm afraid giving either of them the captaincy now might hinder them, ashraful though not a great captain is probably the best choice atm. it might be hindering ashraful but i'd rather it hinder just one player than passing the captaincy around and hindering a whole bunch of players.

Fazal
March 9, 2008, 04:25 PM
“Look, it doesn’t matter whether you are the captain, vice-captain or the number one player in the side, if you don’t perform sooner or later your place will be under threat."Ashraful

Whether we want it or not... the way things are going we may be without a captain and a vice captain and end up having a stop gap Captain.

auntu
March 9, 2008, 04:34 PM
dhur ekta match harlei holo hanten capten change, coach ki bollo....

Eshen
March 9, 2008, 04:38 PM
* He hasnt performed to his level since he was given the responsibility
* YET to win a GAME!
* Hasn't even played a CAPTAINCY knock (maybe one test match against SL as far as i can remember)
* his LUCK or technique for the TOSS is not good enough as he has lost most!
* and the last thing i want to say is...Can't even speak properly.

There are some valid reasons to ask Ashraful to give up captaincy, but none of the above are one of those valid reasons. For example, Ash has shown more consistency with bat ever since he took over as the captain comparing to consistencies shown by Shahriar, Shakib, or Rajin in the same period.

zainab
March 9, 2008, 04:48 PM
Who else is there? Ash has not even had year of captaincy. he has inherited a young and weak team, boys who are in the process of learning to play cricket. They have a new coach who also is fairly clueless. Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe captaincy was thrust upon him, he has said many times that he will not think about captaincy until he was 25 yrs old, and here he is -captain of a young, inexperienced and free spirited team who are mentally weak like himself. I am surethat he himself must be so sad and disappointed at his own performance. Seems everything is going downhill for poor Ash.
Anyhow, fans here will think I am crazy for writing this:

did mention here that my friend reads horoscopes. I gave her Ash's date of birth. Now according to her, if he was born in September, he would have been good at his cricket , but born in July, his planets are very badly aligned. he is under the influence of Rawan which is very bad, he has been like this for the last 5 years, but it will soon come to an end and he will enter the fruitful stage of Brihaspathi which will last for 3 to 5 years.What she has said is coming true, so maybe we just have to wait and see.
His stars will turn round.
I know fans here will call me crazy, but I believe my friend, she predicted a few things for me which came through, e'g. i will live in various countries, will have good fortune and many other things which I did not really believe but has come to pass.

samjad
March 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
Guys.. how long ago was it when Nafees was out of team because of poor performance ?

How many good knock did sakib play lately ?

Mashrafee is out of main 11 and we all know why..this guy can't even pull himself together..

Rajin .. hm please check his last Five innings. Also he was a vice captain once and he couldn't even handle it!.

Please give ash some more time, replacing captain , coach , selectors not going to resolve the issue . Its not like a magic wand and everything's gonna change.

Omio
March 9, 2008, 05:06 PM
Who was the vice captain yesterday?

Trigger_Tiger
March 9, 2008, 05:10 PM
A wee bit early to call for a new captain, but truly so far Ash's awesomely fallible field placement is too shocking beyond my thinking ability! Ugh! Comparatively I like Shakib better so I went for him.....Nafees would be a good deputy. Mash is fine I guess, but Nafees has more leadership qualities I think.

zainab
March 9, 2008, 05:15 PM
Who was the vice captain yesterday?

mAYBE, they did not have one. With Mash being the VC, even if he does not play, they cannot elect another VC for the national team, maybe, i am wrong.

Sakib is not ready for captaincy, he wants to resume his studies. Ash is full time cricketer.

Russell2k7
March 9, 2008, 05:23 PM
Nah re bhai. If we change the captain then amader obosta aaro kharap hobe. I have a feeling that we are due for a Ash Eid in second ODI if not then in 3rd ODI, lol.

view360
March 9, 2008, 05:31 PM
Ashraful has failed as a captain as well as a batsman. People are even questioning his sanity nowadays after his infamous comment on showing a match on TV. He said that tV broadcast put extra mental pressure that prevented him from performing. WE do not expect this from a testside captain. Where Smith is leading from front , Ashraful finishes his duty just by grabbing the bat not scoring. More than 60% times he was out before reaching the double figure and not to metion about the ducks. What a turbulant parformance for a captain ! He has the highest number of duckes among the current test playing captains and the lowest avarage ( this excludes Zimbabwe captain).
He has already played 100+ matches and if this is not enough to make a judgment on him , the law of statistics must be reset for the sake of some of our countrymen.
I gave great regards for the fans but you can not fan a a dead charcole expecting to deliver fire.
Ashraful is now acting more like our shameless politicians than of a cricketer.Our politicians always let the nation down and later comeup with thousands of excuses and Ashraful is just doing the same. Those shameless politicians also have many fans like Ashraful.

bujhee kom
March 9, 2008, 05:46 PM
i have a feeling ashraful will fire up this next game and will give SAF the ultimate misery!

Fazal
March 9, 2008, 06:00 PM
Bagh Ailooo Bagh Ailooo... Bagh too ar ashe na....

Lidcombe
March 9, 2008, 06:07 PM
How abt no captain in the team......Based on a lottery one lucky player will do the toss......So his luck will effect on the toss and he will win the toss...because he is lucky to win the lotery...get it?

Looks like the commentator can run our team better then our captain, so the power to set field placing and bowling choice will be controlled by the commentators.....

i think it will work out very nicely and every player can perform without presurer.

bdpride04
March 9, 2008, 06:25 PM
How abt no captain in the team......Based on a lottery one lucky player will do the toss......So his luck will effect on the toss and he will win the toss...because he is lucky to win the lotery...get it?

Looks like the commentator can run our team better then our captain, so the power to set field placing and bowling choice will be controlled by the commentators.....

i think it will work out very nicely and every player can perform without presurer.

spot on bro i seen that as soon as a commentator says some ........ we say that too but a little later, they were tallking about power play and now a lot of us saying about power play why we took it, what would've happened if he didnt take it.......... spread the field and easy singles man what we need is to put some runs and everything will get fixed automatically........ trust me, the medicine to our problem is RUN

Spitfire_x86
March 9, 2008, 06:27 PM
As if he was any more consistent before becoming captain...

bujhee kom
March 9, 2008, 07:00 PM
i think ashraful should be given the resposibility of both captain and vice captain.
he is the true nabab of dhaka!
i hope he hits the ball so hard wednesday that it reaches the mirpur zoo or the botanical garden!
to say the truth i don't like him that much as he can't be trusted most of the time, but the day he shines, no matter how miserable the rest of the day is, boy it feels good to be a bangladeshi.

sayem
March 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
I wont argue about the odi average but he has a test average of 21.... still shaky against quality bowling if you ask me... I like Sakib.... but if you say Sakib is techically better than Ash, then I have to doubt your cricket knowledge... sorry nothing personal but I find it hillarious....If you closley observe Ash's technic against fast bowlers, he relies too much on Back foot..you dont often see hime taking stride forward...As a level 2 Coach, I am confident to say that Sakibs Overall technic is better. Just because Ash is stylish and ultra attacking batsman does not make him technically better..

nahaz
March 9, 2008, 07:36 PM
WTF?
Ok, Nafees got out with a khocha yesterday after getting set.
Sakib charged and got out.
Ash tried to drive a ball that swung big and would have missed leg stump by khawk eye. So he got a bad decision.Again.
I don't see anyone doing much better than Ash if given captaincy.He's also trying to be more patient nowadays. How about we do the same?Unless you want a non-performng captain like Vaughan.

view360
March 9, 2008, 07:37 PM
If you closley observe Ash's technic against fast bowlers, he relies too much on Back foot..you dont often see hime taking stride forward...As a level 2 Coach, I am confident to say that Sakibs Overall technic is better. Just because Ash is stylish and ultra attacking batsman does not make him technically better..

Above all . Ashraful is not scoring runs. How could we made such an instable cricketer as a national side captain ? His failures outshine his successes. Overwhelmingly , his parformance is bad except for few flash in the pan. Anyone given 100+ oppurtunity can make such flash. Which cricketer was given so many chances after so may failures ? Even Javed Omar has better stat than him given the number of matches Javed played.
Are we playing lotto here that someday he might shine again ?

Yameen
March 9, 2008, 07:42 PM
i knew someone would come up with such thread..
i mean do u actually think shakib or nafees would do a better job? never mind about them becoming captains, let them prove themselves in both forms of the games first...

nahaz
March 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
<b>The next captain could be Shuvo. In six years time. If he's a good player.</b>

view360
March 9, 2008, 07:57 PM
Time for an ad hoc captain.
We should go for an ad hoc captain on match by match basis untill someone can prove enough competence and consistancy. In Bangladesh when anyone becomes an automatic choice , he also becomes unfortunately incompetent.

germany
March 9, 2008, 08:01 PM
rajin saleh is the only a proper choice
has all the quality

1. matured
2. natural middle order
3. capable of playing test cricket
4. great fielder
5. always relaxed

all the other players are basically teenage kids
not capable of making any right decision
ash ruining his natural playing style
he should be the 1st down batsman only, not captain!

Antora
March 9, 2008, 08:21 PM
It's a bit too early to say we need to change captains. I was very dissapointed with Ahs's captaincy. He really sucked and it showed he has no capability of being a captain.
If we were to change captains then i would go for Nafees.
I also think Sakib would make a good captain...even though he is a tad bit too young.
I was just wondering... why did people vote for Rajin? Remember last time he was our captain?? he sucked more than Ash is sucking at the moment
I remember when he was captain.. he took a script with him of what he wa gonna say at the toss! Some of you people want that weirdo to be our captain :-| ??????? I know he is more matured, an alright batsmen, a pretty good fielder.....but Rajin? :-|

tonoy
March 10, 2008, 01:05 AM
It's a bit too early to say we need to change captains. I was very dissapointed with Ahs's captaincy. He really sucked and it showed he has no capability of being a captain.
If we were to change captains then i would go for Nafees.
I also think Sakib would make a good captain...even though he is a tad bit too young.
I was just wondering... why did people vote for Rajin? Remember last time he was our captain?? he sucked more than Ash is sucking at the moment
I remember when he was captain.. he took a script with him of what he wa gonna say at the toss! Some of you people want that weirdo to be our captain :-| ??????? I know he is more matured, an alright batsmen, a pretty good fielder.....but Rajin? :-|

:lol:

Sohel
March 10, 2008, 02:10 AM
"When the finger points at the Moon, the fool looks at the finger." - Confucius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius)

Thanks SK for the timely ARTICLE (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=26923) and telling it the way it really was.

Ash's Captaincy has been crap only very recently, since the second test to be exact, and his 'innovation' backfired badly during the first ODI. But truth be told, he has been getting all this heat because as our best, most match-winning, and nothing less than talismanic batsman, he continues to disappoint us all with the bat.

Echoing Murad here, how consistent are ShaNa and Moyna in comparison to Ash? Let's take a look.

ShaNa (last 10 ODI innings): :duck: - 2 - :duck: - 12 - 1 - 9 - 7 - 33 - 6 - 12. That is an ODI average of 8.2. If we are to measure his recent consistency/dispersion, lets drop the lowest score of :duck: and the highest of 33, and we'll end up with an average of 6.13 ... CAPTAIN-like consistency eh ? Especially from a "top order" batsman ! BACK IN FORM my foot ! The only thing he has been consistent about is the manner in which he throws his wicket away after looking pretty good initially. Having a poke outside off with no movement of the feet is a compulsion he needs to overcome. Even if that means not facing the new-ish ball by batting further down the order. Let's talk about that BACK IN FORM crap after at least 10 more, NON-MINNOW matches, shall we?

He is undoubtedly our favorite minnow-basher and as a Josephite, he speaks English well enough, but those don't mitigate the facts any. He failed to perform in the full-strength NCL and his Captaincy there was total crap also BTW.

Having said all that, his defense is more compact than ever and his footwork has also improved alongside his fielding quite a bit. I pray he continues to improve and becomes a steady contributor in our middle order or at # 3, and not by default or comparison to other, more pitiful performances. But Captain? Let's give ourselves a break from undue idiocy and subsequent embarrassment !

Then again it is perfectly within our rights to flaunt how moronic we can be in our so called assessment of who should be Captain instead of whom. Maybe it is we who are missing something here. Maybe we are as dumb and ignorant as the thread starter likes to fancy after-all. Maybe he IS as smart as he believes. Possibilities are always endless !

Moyna (last 10 ODI innings): :duck: - 50 - 5 - :duck: - 15 - 2 - 6 - 15 - 10 - 6. That is an ODI average of 10.9. If we are to measure his recent consistency/dispersion, lets drop the lowest score of :duck: and the highest of 50, and we'll end up with an average of 7.38 ... CAPTAIN-like consistency, eh ?

That said, he did perform in the NCL and his Captaincy in the overhyped but ultimately putuputu practice matches produced comparatively decent results. Now what those 'results' have to do with his Captaincy is anybody's guess, as none of us except Rabeed actually saw what how he set the field or managed his bowlers to those ends.

Maybe Moyna will become a good Captain someday, but that day is certainly not now by any stretch of the imagination. Batting-wise, he needs to clean up his technique considerably. Maybe a better-fitting helmet and tips from a cleaner-hitting and constantly improving Farhad Reza - 11.0 over the last 10 ODIs, 9.5 in terms of consistency/dispersion - will help.

Ash, on the other hand, is averaging 20.2 from his last 10 ODI innings, and 16.25 in terms of consistency/dispersion.

Good enough for International cricket? Certainly not !

Better than ShaNa and Moyna? By a mile and then some, should be a no-brainer !

al Furqaan
March 10, 2008, 02:41 AM
lets take a look at ashraful pre-captaincy and post captaincy (courtesy of my still-under-construction new stats database ;)).

before i do the research, i will say that i think ashraful will have worse stats post-captaincy. but the sample size is still fairly small. i for one am as dissappointed with ash as i have ever been, still i think he will make us smile again in the future. i guess i am still confident that siddons can turn him and the rest of the batters around.

Ash ODI since captaincy:

7 innings, 22.71 avg, 22.71 mean score/innings, 1 50, 69.74 strike rate

Ash ODI career:

101 innings, 22.00 avg, 20.04 mean score/innings, 12 50s, 1 100, 72.68 strike rate

verdict: too early to tell, but stats look more or less the same...marginal improvement

Ash Test since captaincy:

14 innings, 26.08 avg, 24.21 mean score/innings, 1 100

Ash Test career:

82 innings, 24.64 avg, 23.44 mean score/innings, 4 100s, 7 50s

verdict: same as above

bdpride04
March 10, 2008, 04:21 AM
WTF?
Ok, Nafees got out with a khocha yesterday after getting set.
Sakib charged and got out.
Ash tried to drive a ball that swung big and would have missed leg stump by khawk eye. So he got a bad decision.Again.
I don't see anyone doing much better than Ash if given captaincy.He's also trying to be more patient nowadays. How about we do the same?Unless you want a non-performng captain like Vaughan.

heck yea let's wait......... at the age of 85 we will see some improvement

Shaan
March 10, 2008, 04:41 AM
Not change again, let him continue for more two years. Change is not always solution as we have witnessed many times during past years..

sonarbangla
March 10, 2008, 07:40 AM
miah ashraful emne koira lead dele ashtese Ireland sofor.. kochu kata hoiba bujso..

sadi
March 10, 2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks Sohel bhai.

If you closley observe Ash's technic against fast bowlers, he relies too much on Back foot..you dont often see hime taking stride forward...As a level 2 Coach, I am confident to say that Sakibs Overall technic is better. Just because Ash is stylish and ultra attacking batsman does not make him technically better..

I guess you never saw his front foot cover drive.... the amount of time he gets to play his shots simply shows his class and techique.... just wait and maybe you will get to see some in next two games.... Sakib is too jumpy on the crease and doesn't move his feet at all.... hold on, why am I even comparing these two? Aren't you the one who wanted ICC to take our test status? Sure, you are the coach.... lol ;)

Miraz
March 10, 2008, 08:39 AM
Bring back Chacha.

Sohel
March 10, 2008, 08:52 AM
Great idea ... :lol:

Here's my lineup: -

Captain: Chacha
VC: Faruk
Coach: Shamim A Chaudhury
Sports nutritionist: Durjoy
Physio: Akram
Shrink: Waliul
Grammarian: Ata

Bullgod: RA, Tiger Mama.

irteja
March 10, 2008, 08:58 AM
:lol:Great idea ... :lol:

Here's my lineup: -

Captain: Chacha
VC: Faruk
Coach: Shamim A Chaudhury
Sports nutritionist: Durjoy
Physio: Akram
Shrink: Waliul
Grammarian: Ata

Bullgod: RA, Tiger Mama.
:floor:

rainmaniac
March 10, 2008, 09:25 AM
whatever ppl say, shakib is definitely the next captain...its almost obvious...

Tigers_eye
March 10, 2008, 09:28 AM
Poll'ta ar ektu better kora jeto if there were options such as:

None of the above
Others
Ash
"Shuvo"
Then I could vote.

While we are debuting 3 players in games, pretty soon we will see shuvo in the team. Why not go for it?

Tigers_eye
March 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
Come to think of it, restating Rajin as a captain is a good choice. He will stay out of the first 11 and still pick up the bonus check for captaincy.

That should motivate everyone in the field to out perform him. Which would be very hard. At least SN and Shakib would have to work hard to get their current average up by 20+ runs.

mahbubH
March 10, 2008, 09:36 AM
Except Ash none of this team is not sure to be in the best 11! We have no other choice than enjoying Ash's captaincy.

reyme
March 10, 2008, 10:10 AM
Except Ash none of this team is not sure to be in the best 11! We have no other choice than enjoying Ash's captaincy.

Thats what I heard about HaBa when he was the captain.

reyme
March 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
Bring back Chacha.

Actually I would go with Minhazul Abedin Nannu. A true wise captain.

reyme
March 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
"When the finger points at the Moon, the fool looks at the finger." - Confucius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius)

Thanks SK for the timely ARTICLE (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=26923) and telling it the way it really was.

Oh my goodness, what an article. SK! cant believe we had this kind of smart ex cricketers.

sonarbangla
March 10, 2008, 10:30 AM
Actually I would go with Minhazul Abedin Nannu. A true wise captain.

lol lol.. then bring back athar ali khan. as a commentator he is the most experienced cricket genius than anyone else in the nation. :-D He can speak English pretty well too. He could explain better of why our boiz didn't do well .. hehe

WarWolf
March 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
Give a complete year to Ash before even thinking about it. Too early!!!!

Fazal
March 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Ash ODI since captaincy:

7 innings, 22.71 avg, 22.71 mean score/innings, 1 50, 69.74 strike rate

Ash ODI career:

101 innings, 22.00 avg, 20.04 mean score/innings, 12 50s, 1 100, 72.68 strike rate

verdict: too early to tell, but stats look more or less the same...marginal improvement

Ash Test since captaincy:

14 innings, 26.08 avg, 24.21 mean score/innings, 1 100

Ash Test career:

82 innings, 24.64 avg, 23.44 mean score/innings, 4 100s, 7 50s

verdict: same as above

Well you are givving us an option between 'Korolla" and "Neem Pata" and asking which one is better?

Well based on the stat. Both are close to disgusting....and . We expect lots more out of him, a player he is playing for a while now. And the stat shows no sign of improvement and that is the saddest part.

reyme
March 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
lol lol.. then bring back athar ali khan. as a commentator he is the most experienced cricket genius than anyone else in the nation. :-D He can speak English pretty well too. He could explain better of why our boiz didn't do well .. hehe

I dont think it is about bringing any old fella back, its more like who would have done well in current condition.

reyme
March 10, 2008, 11:20 AM
We expect lots more out of him, he is playing for a while now. And the stat shows no sign of improvement and that is the saddest part.

I think we should not expect a lot out of him. That will lead to sadness. Let him play his own game at #4 or #5 whatever he desires, simply because he tends to do well, when there is no chance of winning or no chance of losing, meaning no pressure situation. Poor guy is even taking pressure from live TV broadcast!

If someone else can take the captaincy, I bet he will perform better.

sayem
March 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Sohel bhai.

I guess you never saw his front foot cover drive.... the amount of time he gets to play his shots simply shows his class and techique.... just wait and maybe you will get to see some in next two games.... Sakib is too jumpy on the crease and doesn't move his feet at all.... hold on, why am I even comparing these two? Aren't you the one who wanted ICC to take our test status? Sure, you are the coach.... lol ;) Front foot cover drive is the most easiest shot to play..Every batsman knows that shot. Every coach will tell you that it is one of the first shots taught..So you cannot use that example..Sakib is way smarter then Ash and his shot selection is good. Ash's Stylish, yes, but not the best technically...

al Furqaan
March 10, 2008, 11:50 AM

level 2 coach from a non-Test playing country (thats how you would have it) means jackshit.

sakib has overall better technique than ash? yes, and javed omar is more likely to hit a 6 off any given delivery than shahid afridi.

i think i have spotted the problem in our cricketing infrastructure. its the level 2 coaches!

:lol::lol::lol:

al Furqaan
March 10, 2008, 11:55 AM
Front foot cover drive is the most easiest shot to play..Every batsman knows that shot. Every coach will tell you that it is one of the first shots taught..So you cannot use that example..Sakib is way smarter then Ash and his shot selection is good. Ash's Stylish, yes, but not the best technically...

sakib may be smarter, and his shot selection may be better. but this does not make sense. if sakib is smarter and technically smarter, why has he yet to display a match-winning effort against a big side (not canada)?

much of technique, is that which is pleasing to the eye. much of technique is aesthetic. thats how sehwag, gayle, and smith - all technically limited - players have gone on to score big, with the former 2 both owning Test triples to their name.

and the front foot cover drive is NOT the easiest shot to play. it requires great cordination of footwork, hand eye coordination, and timing. the easiest shot to play other than a defense, is the pull, the hook, and the cut. the footwork comes naturally to any human with a pair of podiatric appendages. all you need is the timing and placement.

the drive is the toughest shot to play, hence the presence of so many slip fielders in seaming conditions.

BANFAN
March 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
....... Every coach will tell you that it is one of the first shots taught.............................. Ash's Stylish, yes, but not the best technically...

By the time they learn the last shot, they forget the first. Except a few people like Ash.:-D

None is telling that Ash is technically the best player of the world; but better than SN & SH

His only prob is shot sellection.

sadi
March 10, 2008, 12:12 PM
Front foot cover drive is the most easiest shot to play..Every batsman knows that shot. Every coach will tell you that it is one of the first shots taught..So you cannot use that example..Sakib is way smarter then Ash and his shot selection is good. Ash's Stylish, yes, but not the best technically...

I mentioned about front foot cover drive because you said he has no game on front foot.... did you even see him bat? I have never seen Sakib do the front foot cover drive to be honest.... all he does is a back foot push through cover which is quite effective on slow low pitches.... anyways, I have no intention of having a debate out here cuz it's not even worth it to debate who is techinically better....

AF, leave him alone.... BC e ase onekei coach hoye jay... :)

Umar
March 10, 2008, 02:55 PM
As if he was any more consistent before becoming captain...

Then is he wasting the Place? if he does then shouldn't be get kicked from the team?

Dawah
March 10, 2008, 04:22 PM
S Nafees looks much more mature than Ashrafool :P

Dhakablues
March 10, 2008, 05:44 PM
level 2 coach from a non-Test playing country (thats how you would have it) means jackshit.

sakib has overall better technique than ash? yes, and javed omar is more likely to hit a 6 off any given delivery than shahid afridi.

i think i have spotted the problem in our cricketing infrastructure. its the level 2 coaches!

:lol::lol::lol:

What kind of an etiquette is it to attack someone for their superior qualifications than the comment itself? Do you even know anythinga bout Level 2 coaches ? I dont think, actually I dont believe, you have an iota of cricket knowledge when you claim to know better than a trained coach. You can disagree with the asessments but attacking someone's internationally recongnized credentials only makes yours appear like a cheap comment by a first line paltan politician.. Sorry, cant help it but to see some one being tossed up like that is not what is expected from an experienced BC member like you..

JonBain
March 10, 2008, 06:02 PM
I think Boycotts grandmother would make a better captain than a guy who opens the bowling with a leg spinner against an in-form left-hander like G Smith.

My captain from the third team in high school is available. He may be forty years old now, but even he wouldn't make such a terrible f%$#%#$%#up

Umar
March 10, 2008, 06:35 PM

Well..If u look at the practice matches and see how Shakib did!! He handled the pressure as well as he scored 30+ runs! and so far u can say he's 100% successful for that job...doesn't matter if its a practice match.
And Ashraful since he became captain...show me ONE slope of the curve that is Going positive..Compare to what Bashar did in his time. to me so far NONE!

However tell me this...on WHAT BASIS...or What QUALITY ASHRAFUL deserve to be the Captain? is it because he CAN play High risk shots? or did he prove anything before he become the captain? To me He was just given the JOB to remove bashar from the team (an excuse). The only reason ASH was given the captain could be because he played more GAMES after BASHAR. Mash wasn't given bcause he faces injury too oftens. SN wasn't in the team. HOPE U GET THE PICTURE!

And by the way...In the poll i could've added TAMIM, MUSHY, AFTAB, SHUVO and ANY OTHERS...
but I am sure if any of them becomes captain or if there is any chance of them being a captain..that would be after 5 more years(Minimum Assumption).

Lavauk
March 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
So now you want to change the captain.

I wonder what you will come up again after the 2nd ODI.

AShraful was superb as a captain till the 2nd Test at Ctg last week. I don't know what happend to him that he's following what Bashar used to do. But I'm sure we will not see the same in the 2nd match.

And for winning match as captain?? you guys are funny.

How many matches we played against Kenya and Zimb last year and this year? None right?

And how many matches we won against the big teams before? only few right? THen how you expect wins under his captaincy against the big teams?

All our batsmen doing worse except Tamim. SN plays good for first few overs then he does the KHOCHA that he loves to do always. Shakib used to be a consistend player before but now he's becoming more inconsistent ever. Junaid is failing. Mushy failed. Almost all the batsmen are failing but still you blaming Ashraful not winning matches. I wonder how you expect him to win matches by his captaincy? To win, all our batsmen have to click. Including Ashraful himself.

WELLSAID BRO
Iam 100% with you ppl complaining abt ash WHY? just ash WHY not the whole tripical team? NO one doing it better, BD team are out of tune, they need servicing,so remember ASH is NOT angel and he cannot perform somthing miracle by him self its a team work should be done by the team so grow up guys who's keep complaing,

Umar
March 12, 2008, 06:34 AM
After watching the second match.. I Hope atleast NOW people will say..YES WE NEED a CHANGE in Captaincy!! Ashraful is DOING nothing at the moment and so the TEAM! DEFINATELY RIGHT NOW ASH needs a REST but its not happening only coz' he's the captain. We need a Captain who is more consistance and can SHOW the way...

Baundule
March 12, 2008, 07:13 AM
Why not Dhiman in the list? :mad:

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 07:26 AM
You need some proper cricket education/education to be a captain of an international outfit.

We need someone more assuring, but is there anyone?

Hoi chokka noi fokka was fine for the first phase of our cricket, but it cannot go forever.

zainab
March 12, 2008, 07:30 AM
If the captain is changed now, who can be the captain? Maybe bring back Mushy, he was the captain of the U19 team at one time and did a good job too.

WarWolf
March 12, 2008, 08:19 AM
If the captain is changed now, who can be the captain? Maybe bring back Mushy, he was the captain of the U19 team at one time and did a good job too.
Sohel bhai or Miraz bhai for the next captain. I am sure either of them will be a thousand times better than the current bunch of idiots. A big clap for the new captain. Hip Hip Hurrah.......

Fazal
March 12, 2008, 08:23 AM

Regardless how captain material he is, you don't bring a struggling new kid in a team as a Captain who's own slot is right now is in bubble. He need to regain his slot (wicketkeeper) first for a while, before we talk about him.

Tigers_eye
March 12, 2008, 08:23 AM
There is no need to change captain. Just drop him as well. He will be a non-playing captain. What's the use actually to have a captain who don't know the game of cricket?

Fazal
March 12, 2008, 08:29 AM
If its up to me, I am willing to take the risk and make Sakib as our One Day Team. Let us see how he does. I think Sakib's slot in ODI is pretty much secured. He can bat as well as bowl, he can contribute one way another.

For test they can continue with Ashraful (if he is still in the team) or some senior player whose slot is secured.

I would like to see two different captains for ODI and TEST.

tiger_army
March 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Bring Back Nafees Iqbal.......He is smart.honestly Ash is a super player but he isnt smart enough to be a captain..Look Wat he did today, he took those discision as if he is playing backyard cricket..He was so confused in the middle overs and didnt know what to do? Ithink he choaked again..... Thts the difference between Basher and Ash...Those ODI we won, because Bashars captaincy didnt choke and we won those half chance game...Today we had a golden chance to win....Mash-razzak was bowling good...we also got good support from Saqib-Rasel..We had them 3 down for 60.. All we had to do gamble few runs create extra pressure, use our best suitable bowlers on time and get another wicket....We would have won...But stupid discisions like bringing mash on wrong time, not placing attacking field and bringing him to bowl spoiled the game......

i dont understand y didnt he continue with razzak and put some close fielding when the JP Dum guy was struggling with the spin.....Instea he brought Mash and let him Settled down... We cant win game like that........Im very upset after today.....oh god Wat a golden chance

Umar
March 12, 2008, 09:34 AM
If its up to me, I am willing to take the risk and make Sakib as our One Team. Let us see how he does. I think Sakib's slot in ODI is pretty much secured. He can bat as well as bowl, he can contribute one way another.

For test they can continue with Ashraful (if he is still in the team) or some senior player whose slot is secured.

I would like to see two different captains for ODI and TEST.

I am going with ur plan! Sakib definately will be in the team for long time as if he doesnt perform in batting he will in bowling.

but one problem...For ODI if Sakib is taken as captain...Who would be for TEST? RAJIN? or jst bring Belim ..:confused:

Umar
March 12, 2008, 09:39 AM
You need some proper cricket education/education to be a captain of an international outfit.

Hoi chokka noi fokka was fine for the first phase of our cricket, but it cannot go forever.

I wish some of our players could realize that!

Kamnew
March 13, 2008, 12:12 AM
Bashar

al-Sagar
March 13, 2008, 05:52 AM
no body in bangladesh is more consistent than other. everybody plays 1 good innings every 10 innings.

we should have abdur razzak as captain

Protic
March 13, 2008, 06:01 AM
Ashraful should stay.

zainab
March 13, 2008, 07:41 AM
It is a good idea to have Sakib as captain of the ODI side for a while, to see what he does, a change might do the trick.

thebest
March 13, 2008, 11:18 AM

How about giving Ash or the new captain this (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=21151)
Missing Babubangla so much. Where is he?

Miraz
March 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
How about giving Ash or the new captain this (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=21151)
Missing Babubangla so much. Where is he?

That was a classic!!! :D

Stopped missing him after he turned down numerous requests from different members to come back. :(

Have seen him somewhere else, but that was also a brief presence.

Umar
October 28, 2008, 02:07 PM
I had to bring this back. Surely Ashrafool doesn't have any quality of being captain. He cannod do Bowling cannot BAT(well he has proven that he can only SLOG and HENCE CANNOT be consistant)!. if someone argues that He's captaincy was good...well ANY FOOL CAN DO THAT BIT. it was Only Habibul Bashar who used to be messy sometimes with the situation and the bowling change.

With shahreer Nafees out of the equation and Rajin(going backward) I think the real contenders are MUSHFIQUR RAHIM, MASHRAFEE and OFFCOURse SHAKIB.
Shakib stands the Best chance as he can CONTRIBUTE ATLEAST IN ONE WAY and lead the team. either by bat and/or by ball or by both. Mushfiq is next as he has experience. Mash doubtful because of common injury fear.

WarWolf
October 28, 2008, 02:38 PM
I was in the favor of trying Ash for a few months more. But his reluctance to adopt to the international level really pissed me off. Now I want Shakib as the new captain.

Tiger444
October 28, 2008, 03:20 PM
They difinitely should change captainz because his batting is way more precious for the team then the captaincy. I don't think Saqibul is ready just yet as he has not played enough international cricket and still is only 20 years old. I think Mashrafe, a proven player and in my opinion the best and most consistent player for bangladesh cricket should be the captain and see how that goes.