PDA

View Full Version : Two Tier Test Status being Discussed by ICC

cricman
March 12, 2008, 05:04 AM
Any plans for the West Indies to be demoted to a second tier of Test cricket by the International Cricket Council (ICC) would be strenuously resisted by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), president Julian Hunte said yesterday."There is an even bigger one. There is a move to limit the first tier of Test playing countries to the top seven which will then leave the West Indies with only Bangladesh and Zimbabwe to play."

Although he did not elaborate, the issue appeared to have been broached at the most recent meeting of chief executives of ICC member countries that he attended.
only quoted the good/bad stuff

now It's being discussed by them BCCI run puppets, hopefully this could help the players stick their head outta their @%$%&*
http://www.stabroeknews.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=56540923

Rabz
March 12, 2008, 05:14 AM
nah, it wont still get into our playes thick head.
they would keep playin the same style.

and i dont think this notion would go thru.
it has been on the discussion table in the past as well.

One World
March 12, 2008, 05:19 AM
Should England join the club? The way BCCI trying to rule things out Cricket may turn into Chess. Who knows, that may become more appreciable system for the worldwide fans.

WarWolf
March 12, 2008, 05:41 AM
This is the wake up alarm. But I am sure they will continue sleeping.

nzfan
March 12, 2008, 05:49 AM
a bit unfair for the west indies, though they will get beaten by the other teams, they will still win by an innings over Zimbabwe or BD

Sovik
March 12, 2008, 06:06 AM
why seven? there are only 10 test playing nations, why they wouldn't make it 5-5.

Pundit
March 12, 2008, 06:21 AM
a bit unfair for the west indies, though they will get beaten by the other teams, they will still win by an innings over Zimbabwe or BD

It depends on what time frame you are looking at? Had this tier system been discussed 20 years back, NZ would be in the 2nd tier, and being handily beaten by India - perhaps even by the margin of an innings. That after having played test cricket for over 40 years or so, as it would have been at that time.

My favorite childhood retort to you - buzz off!

Spitfire_x86
March 12, 2008, 08:41 AM
I won't support 2 tier system, because an India dominated ICC which only cares about money can't put a fair system in place.

IMO, in a fair 2 tier system 10 teams should be divided in 5-5 or 6-4 groups, with a relegation system in place. Say, in every two year, the bottom 2 team of 1st tier would be relegated to 2nd tier, and the top 2 teams of 2nd tier would be promoted to 1st tier.

I'm definately not supporting a 7-3 or 8-2 system. I don't think WI could do any worse than what NZ did in South Africa. And like NZ, they're not that bad at home. If WI is condemned to 2nd tier, then same thing should also happen to NZ, Srilanka and Pakistan.

sayem
March 12, 2008, 09:09 AM
why seven? there are only 10 test playing nations, why they wouldn't make it 5-5. It wont make any difference if BD are in second tier with last 5 teams..as they would be hammared any way...

sayem
March 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
I won't support 2 tier system, because an India dominated ICC which only cares about money can't put a fair system in place.

IMO, in a fair 2 tier system 10 teams should be divided in 5-5 or 6-4 groups, with a relegation system in place. Say, in every two year, the bottom 2 team of 1st tier would be relegated to 2nd tier, and the top 2 teams of 2nd tier would be promoted to 1st tier.

I'm definately not supporting a 7-3 or 8-2 system. I don't think WI could do any worse than what NZ did in South Africa. And like NZ, they're not that bad at home. If WI is condemned to 2nd tier, then same thing should also happen to NZ, Srilanka and Pakistan. Even then...the problem is still there with BD...they will be beaten by those teams in the same old fashion....

DJ Sahastra
March 12, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hmm ... something bad is happening in ICC so it must be the BCCI.

DotBall
March 12, 2008, 09:52 AM
If it happens under BCCI's lead it will not be a fair system. If they are to do it I rather they make it a 6 and 4 teams tiers with proper relegation system.

al-Sagar
March 12, 2008, 09:53 AM
after two years they will think about 3 tier and obviously bangladesh will be in tier 3

al Furqaan
March 12, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hmm ... something bad is happening in ICC so it must be the BCCI.

money talks...the BCCI is the only country which has refused to host BD. it must therefore be assumed to take an anti-BD stance given its power and hostility.

Ajfar
March 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
amader player ra koibo...are aita to valoi...oi shoitan gular sathe ar cricket khela lagbo naa..shudu west indies ar zim er loge khelum..

WarWolf
March 12, 2008, 11:52 AM
It wont make any difference if BD are in second tier with last 5 teams..as they would be hammared any way...
So much confidence on your team, Mr. Coach? I saw, in almost every post, you are campaigning for BD to be dropped from the test arena. Machher gondho pawa jachche mone hoi :smug:

Kabir
March 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
So what are the dynamics of the 2-tier system? Do the teams in the first tier get the current ICC rule for playing each other over a period of time? And the 2nd-tier get to play less? If that's the case, then no. But if the only difference is playing Test cricket with the teams in your own tier, I hardly see why BD cannot benefit from that.

Shobha
March 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
OMG look at this, i said this as joke in a thread.....i cant believe this. I'm psycic:o OMG

I'M SHOCKED. LOOK

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=634030#post634030

BD-Shardul
March 12, 2008, 03:14 PM
India ki mone kore nijeder? Kon sahoshe tara WI ke 2nd tier e nitey chay? Didn't WI beat SA just a few days ago? Kopaler jore OZ re haraya ki koira ki korbo hush paitese na. Lafalafi kortey den. Dui din pore South Africa jokhon Dabrani dibo na, dekhben shob apna apnei thanda hoiya jaibo.

BANFAN
March 12, 2008, 03:20 PM
Any such decision will be strongly resisted by all the boards (Threatened Countries) except BD. But BD should push for a relegation and promotion system between the two tiers, if it's not there. So that we have a scope of moving up with peformance and the ditch diggers find themselves down in the 2nd tier some day.

Won't be too bad if it happens.

mshakir56
March 12, 2008, 10:27 PM
Pathetic idea to say the least .

Aritro
March 12, 2008, 10:35 PM
For as long as the Indians need us in their voting bloc, anything of this sort is unlikely to happen. I'm not sure those who are speculating about the BCCI's involvement in this have the right idea.

We also have millions of dollars worth of sponsorship and TV rights contracts hinging on our continued involvement in top level cricket. I suspect the ICC might be looking at quite a lot of legal hand-wringing if this were to happen too.

BANFAN
March 13, 2008, 02:57 AM
For as long as the Indians need us in their voting bloc, anything of this sort is unlikely to happen. I'm not sure those who are speculating about the BCCI's involvement in this have the right idea.

We also have millions of dollars worth of sponsorship and TV rights contracts hinging on our continued involvement in top level cricket. I suspect the ICC might be looking at quite a lot of legal hand-wringing if this were to happen too.

I don't think BCCI needs us as much as they needed us sometime before. Situation is changed Now, they have enough influence on each and evey board of the world, through their pockets. Going against india will cost every board bitterly.

BD sponsoship & TV rights money is peanuts; but it will continue to remain even if BD is in 2nd tier.

Eshen
March 13, 2008, 03:01 AM
I am not opposed to a system where we will play test matches against Windies more often, it should help our cricket in the long run.

Aritro
March 13, 2008, 03:47 AM
I don't think BCCI needs us as much as they needed us sometime before. Situation is changed Now, they have enough influence on each and evey board of the world, through their pockets. Going against india will cost every board bitterly.

BD sponsoship & TV rights money is peanuts; but it will continue to remain even if BD is in 2nd tier.

Nimbus have a $60m TV rights deal with us don't they? Assuming it's somehow based on the FTP, or the understanding that we'll be playing at the highest level during the duration of the deal, would they not be very aggressive in trying to protect that investment?

Rifat
March 13, 2008, 10:02 AM
although i am dissapointed with Bangladesh's recent cricket performance, i still feel that we are a far capable side and now it is not the best time to revoke our test status...

on our day, we can challenge ANYBODY! :) we just need to keep playing excellent oppositions for the next 4-5 years, keep test status, perhaps the management will improve!

i also detest the idea that Australlia would boycott our test series and have their "division teams" play test against us... we need all the exposure from the international level in orderfor us to nurture our cricket growth.

right now, we are going through a period of rough time, perhaps we shall wait and persist with the same players who are willing to perform on a consistent basis.

SS
August 1, 2009, 05:30 AM
May be it was a ploy of the cricket "bureucrats"...and you know who are they! Beaware of their nasty politics...they make gameplans with calculation...these are the people who create organization to save the children but create wars to destroy civilizations......
http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/417012.html

Ian Whitchurch, our dear friend from banglacricket was as always on our side and also disccussed this topic in the form associated with this article..thanks Ian..(http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/417012.html?comments=all#comments)

BANFAN
August 1, 2009, 05:50 AM
Nimbus have a $60m TV rights deal with us don't they? Assuming it's somehow based on the FTP, or the understanding that we'll be playing at the highest level during the duration of the deal, would they not be very aggressive in trying to protect that investment?

IPL 10 years TV righs sold in US $ 1Bn & BCCI floor price for TV rights was $ 750 Mn, don't know how much they sold for. Do you think 60Mn is an amount for which Nimbus affords to dissatisfy BCCI/ICC?

But this issue is DEAD for the time being. Till we play our next test series and lose miserably, none will talk about it.