PDA

View Full Version : Post match comments - 2nd ODI : Ashraful and Shakib

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 09:59 AM
Post-match comments: Ashraful & Shakib

DHAKA (TigerCricket.com): Bangladesh skipper Mohammad Ashraful and all-rounder Shakib Al Hassan, who passed 1000 runs in his 39th ODI during the course of his 52 in the Bangladesh innings of 173, spoke after the Tigers lost by seven wickets in the second ODI at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur today (Wednesday) to concede the Warid ODI Series:

Mohammad Ashraful

Whether it was irresponsible on his part to play the pull shot that resulted in a catch and his dismissal for a duck

The plan was to play my natural strokes as I was there at number three. I think I did everything right with that shot except the placement. I wanted to play it more towards square leg.

If he admits that he is unable to lead by example

Ofcourse. A captain should set the example. At the moment I am not performing. It's just not happening for me.

On his lean patch

I think I am batting okay. I am feeling confident and the ball is hitting the right areas of the bat. In the first match I thought I was a touch unlucky and here I got out too early.

Whether the pressure of captaincy is hampering his batting

Not at all. I feel I have batted better after getting the captaincy. Sometimes you just need a start and a bit of luck going your way.

Turning point in the match

We recovered very, very well after slumping to 18 for 4. Shakib and Roqibul got us out of jail with that 119-run partnership but then Roqibul got out playing an uppish shot in the first ball of the 38th over which upset the team plan of playing in the air until the 40th over. I think we lost the plot there. Had he continued we would have managed something like 210-225 which would have been quite handy, maybe even a defendable total on that wicket.

Target in the last ODI

The series is lost but there is still a lot at stake for us. We know that if we had managed 220-230 in the two ODIs then we would have been quite competitive. There is still one match to go and I am hoping the batting would come good in that game because we all know that we have capable batsmen. No one wants to lose and we are not playing badly for lack of trying.

Shakib Al Hasan

On the 119 run partnership with Roqibul, a Bangladesh record for the sixth wicket

We didn't actually plan and didn't talk or anything. I just concentrated on playing as long as possible. I thought if we could take the partnership past the 40th over then the next batsmen coming in would have been able to play more freely.

On crossing the 1000-run mark

It felt good. It took a while but I'm just glad that I got past that mark. Also my last half-century came at this ground about ten months ago so it was nice to make a fifty again.

Courtesy : Rabeed Imam

al-Sagar
March 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
first match only 1 batsman clicked

second match only 1 partnership clicked

third match ????? anyway ashraful is due for his 1 great innings PER series

Fazal
March 12, 2008, 10:06 AM
"We recovered very, very well after slumping to 18 for 4. Shakib and Roqibul got us out of jail with that 119-run partnership but then Roqibul got out playing an uppish shot in the first ball of the 38th over which upset the team plan of playing in the air until the 40th over. I think we lost the plot there. Had he continued we would have managed something like 210-225 which would have been quite handy, maybe even a defendable total on that wicket."

So Rokibul screwed up the plot then. I didn't realized that unless our captain pointed it out so eliquently.

Poor Rokibul. Its his fault now. What is your guess? Will he be dropped now for screwing up our Captain's plot there?

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 10:08 AM
On his lean patch

I think I am batting okay. I am feeling confident and the ball is hitting the right areas of the bat. In the first match I thought I was a touch unlucky and here I got out too early.Here comes the third match.. after scoring 0-10

..... I was feeling good, seeing the ball really well, but the ball was culprit as it moved off the pitch and took the edge. I was unlucky as that was the only ball that moved during my stay in the wicket. I am feeling more confident after every match.

al Furqaan
March 12, 2008, 10:54 AM
sounds just as dumb as a certain hablu...

may Allah knock some sense into his head.

mali007
March 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
"We recovered very, very well after slumping to 18 for 4. Shakib and Roqibul got us out of jail with that 119-run partnership but then Roqibul got out playing an uppish shot in the first ball of the 38th over which upset the team plan of playing in the air until the 40th over. I think we lost the plot there. Had he continued we would have managed something like 210-225 which would have been quite handy, maybe even a defendable total on that wicket."

So Rokibul screwed up the plot then. I didn't realized that unless our captain pointed it out so eliquently.

Poor Rokibul. Its his fault now. What is your guess? Will he be dropped now for screwing up our Captain's plot there?
Its a RUBBISH *** like comment!! He should learn from Rokibul a lot!! Ash. should bat
lower . Shakib should be the CAPTAIN against Ireland as a reward for his excellent CAPTAINCY in the warmup matches

Ehsan
March 12, 2008, 10:58 AM
I would not disagree with him here. It looked like a nice shot, but the placement was very bad. He did not judge the field setting properly and went with the stroke.

Mohammad Ashraful

Whether it was irresponsible on his part to play the pull shot that resulted in a catch and his dismissal for a duck

The plan was to play my natural strokes as I was there at number three. I think I did everything right with that shot except the placement. I wanted to play it more towards square leg.

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 11:01 AM
He accuses Roqibul for playing shot on the air in the 38th over, but he plays the shot as early as 3rd over.

And team planning was not playing shots on the air until the 40th over. Is he above the team planning?

sandpiper
March 12, 2008, 11:03 AM
But what is the justification of playing THAT kind of lavish stroke at that time (6/1) ? Isnt it moronic to go for a six against Nel even before opening the account ?
I would not disagree with him here. It looked like a nice shot, but the placement was very bad. He did not judge the field setting properly and went with the stroke.

Fazal
March 12, 2008, 11:03 AM
Is he above the team planning?

Do you still have any doubt about that?

Ehsan
March 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
But what is the justification of playing THAT kind of lavish stroke at that time (6/1) ? Isnt it moronic to go for a six against Nel even before opening the account ?

No, its not moronic. It was during powerplay when you expect to hit out some balls. The shot was perfectly fine and was played with control. If he would have played it anywhere else he would have been safe. Afterall, there aren't too many players guarding the boundary during powerplay.

On another note, you are right, the key was before opening his account, I would agree there. He should have taken a bit more time and should have seen how the ball was behaving. But I guess he thought in that ball he had opportunity to score and went for it.

About hitting Nel, why not? The ugly faces he makes do more talking than his bowling. And if you hit him, then you are certainly demoralizing him (as he feels nobody can hit him), and if he is low in confidence then you would get more bad balls from him.

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 11:16 AM
Ehsan, he is taking too much risks and failing consistently. He is the captain of the team, he should have a plan B.

How many times we will defend him? playing positive shots.... unlucky... tried to take the challenge to the opposition...... Enough is enough.

You are the best batsman and also the captain, you need to score runs. Only intention will not do here.

I would take a Rokibul 50 (the way he played today) any day over Ash's breathtaking 20-30.

sadi
March 12, 2008, 11:20 AM
Ash never disappoints me in the post match comments.... always 100 percent entertainment....

Ehsan
March 12, 2008, 11:21 AM
We would have put our hands together if it had went for 6. :) I am not defending him, but somebody has to be there to attack. If all the batsmen go defensive than the opposition will gain psychological advantage over you. Rakib's innings in the 1st ODI was an example of it. He was just too bogged down with pressure of not getting runs, he was not even rotating strike very well. Not to take away anything from 2nd ODI where he played exceedingly positive and sensible cricket.

All I would say, Ash needs to realize his game better, and plan accordingly. I bet he had no plan when he came out to bat. That ball was probably there to be hit, but I would not defend him where he hit the ball and also hitting the first ball of his innings.

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
but somebody has to be there to attack. If all the batsmen go defensive than the opposition will gain psychological advantage over you.

He should understand his role. He is the captain and the best batsman, not a pinch hitter. He should take the responsibility as a batsman.

If we need a pinch hitter at the top, why not bring Razzak up, he can certainly whack couple of deliveries before doing an Ashraful.

sadi
March 12, 2008, 11:29 AM
Not necessarily. I would still be kinda ticked off if the ball he had hit went for six. Actually, when he first hit that ball, the first reaction I had was he did he have to do this now without knowing whether it was a six or out. You can be positive and play your shots but you gotta have some sense. You have to see few balls first, take singles and double to get it going and then do your thing.

First hour in an underprepared pitch is always going to be tricky. Keeping wickets is a must in this condition since wickets dry up later on and become a little easier to bat on. If you think you are not the one who can control your aggression, why go now?

WarWolf
This is one of the very few occasions when Ash gets out by not being idiotic. The shot was a nice one. If it was a six we would have said it was an wonderful shot.

My complain is not about his out. It's about his comment on the young boy Nirala's out. He has done more than what we would have expected from him only in his second match. And he had to accelerate as the innings was coming to end. A good captain needs to stand beside his young guns even if they are guilty. Instead our captain blames the boy for doing what was a right thing to do at that moment.

Ajfar
ekhon sob dosh roquibeler bechara tar 2nd Game e eto tai korchee..or ki na congratulation janaiobo..or upore dosh theltase.

Ehsan
March 12, 2008, 11:30 AM
I think we should ask ourselves a question, can Ashraful play well in a defending mindset? Whenever he was defending too much I thought he would go soon without scoring. He needed to play the Cardif game here, not too many big strokes but effective and positive rotation of strike. He definitely needs to play with more responsibility, not just him but all the top order batsmen. Ash should watch the video of his Cardif innings everytime before going out to bat. :)

WarWolf
March 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
Ash needs to learn from Raqibul. The young boy kept coool throught out his innings and didn't take risk of playing areal shots during first 15-20 overs of his inning. This is a good lesson for players like Ash or Aftab who likes to go for areal route every now and then and get themselves out cheaply.

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
I think we should ask ourselves a question, can Ashraful play well while just defending? Whenever he was defending too much I thought he would go soon without scoring.

Nobody is asking him to play a defensive innings. Everyone wants to see a sensible innings. If being sensible means just defending, unfortunately that's probably the case for Ashraful, then he should go back to domestic cricket to sort out his mindset and game plan.

He has already played 100+ ODI, he should be able to understand the difference between too defensive and sensible linings.

Kabir
March 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ash has shown a bit of double-standard there. He didn't playing irresponsibly, but Rokibul's shot was irresponsible.

No comments. Thank God that I didn't watch the match last night.

mali007
March 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
Ehsan, he is taking too much risks and failing consistently. He is the captain of the team, he should have a plan B.

How many times we will defend him? playing positive shots.... unlucky... tried to take the challenge to the opposition...... Enough is enough.

You are the best batsman and also the captain, you need to score runs. Only intention will not do here.

I would take a Rokibul 50 (the way he played today) any day over Ash's breathtaking 20-30.
I agree with you 100%

Ehsan
March 12, 2008, 11:51 AM
If being sensible means just defending, unfortunately that's probably the case for Ashraful, then he should go back to domestic cricket to sort out his mindset and game plan.

That's the case for him. He needs to play a lot more domestic games, and play them with commitment which he neved did in domestic games.

Fazal
March 12, 2008, 11:54 AM
There always have to be a scape goat for him. Either its Junaid, SN or Mashrafee or Rokibul or one of these new players....out of options? Don't worry .....he even managed to find a scape goat beyond the team. Remember our curator Belal bhai?

Even the Pora Kopal Luck doesn't follow him....No?

Rabz
March 12, 2008, 11:59 AM
"Nuff said about Ash.

He is nothing but a pure moron.

jisaan
March 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
whose responsibility is this to place the ball in the gap? ash? siddons? or me?
getting out that way for a struggling batting side as early as in the 3rd over is STUPID
to defend that in that manner is STUPIDITY AT ITS BEST if not arrogance!

jisaan
March 12, 2008, 12:05 PM
"Nuff said about Ash.

He is nothing but a pure moron.
calling him a moron is pure understatement.

Tehsin
March 12, 2008, 12:05 PM
It's all about having a BALANCED approach. Most of the shots Ash and Aftab get out to are perfectly fine for a tailender, not top order bats. Ash/Aftab, both of them are talented, however, most of us realized (watching them and others play) that talent alone means nothing IF you don't have the common sense to apply it properly.

We don't even need to look at matches played by other teams. Just look at how the world class players from SA, AUS play against us. Even Hayden or Smith keeps their EGO in check and blocks a few ball so they can settle in. It's BASIC. What's the point of playing 100+ ODI with ZHURI BHORTI talent if you don't have the ability to observe and learn from folks who are the best in their game ? If simple folks like us can figure it out, why can't Ash? A question I'd ask is is there no one around Ash or Aftab or the rest of them who care or know enough to sit these guys down and have a serious conversation. It'd be sad if we find out that these players have been approached, and coached, YET, they continue to play this rogue shots because they do not have any inherent control.

While I'm not a big proponant of wholesale changes, I'm concerned. If Ash is failing because he is a slave to his instincts, he has no business being the captain of the national team. Give it to someone who is be level-headed and knows how to balance aggression with calm.

My 2 cents.

rainmaniac
March 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
whats wrong with ashraful. he is becoming such a stupid fool day by day. how can he blame a batsman who made a 50 and saved us...maybe he is jealous.
its time he realizes his talent and learn to use it...if he cant take the load of captaincy then he should give up for good...

Rabz
March 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
calling him a moron is pure understatement.

I concur.

Should we call him "The Moron King?

"The Lord of the Morons ?"

"The Moron and Commander?"

sandpiper
March 12, 2008, 12:15 PM
Exactly my point of view.

We don't even need to look at matches played by other teams. Just look at how the world class players from SA, AUS play against us. Even Hayden or Smith keeps their EGO in check and blocks a few ball so they can settle in. It's BASIC. A question I'd ask is is there no one around Ash or Aftab or the rest of them who care or know enough to sit these guys down and have a serious conversation. It'd be sad if we find out that these players have been approached, and coached, YET, they continue to play this rogue shots because they do not have any inherent control.

While I'm not a big proponant of wholesale changes, I'm concerned. If Ash is failing because he is a slave to his instincts, he has no business being the captain of the national team. Give it to someone who is be level-headed and knows how to balance aggression with calm.

My 2 cents.

Tehsin
March 12, 2008, 12:16 PM
Also, heowes an apology to raqib. If you can't respect a team member, a PERFORMING team member when you're in a rut, it either shows poor sportsmanship, poor leadership ability, poor judgement (I was unlucky but he scrwed up by not playing according to PLAN ? GIVE ME A BREAK. When was the last time Ash followed a plan?), or in his case, simply poor communication skills. Another big reason he is unfit to carry on as a captain.

Mahir
March 12, 2008, 12:22 PM
Well said, Tehsin bhai. I concur.

Dhakablues
March 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
I have to say,, I am really pleased and excited to see a "light at the end of the tunnel"-- its Raqibul. I think that he will become a key player for Bangladesh cricket in the future and soon will become indispensable. The chanceless innings he played,, he just stunned me with his maturity. I was not that impressed when Tamim/Zunaed/Mehrab/Nazim made their debut,, Raqibul seems miles ahead in terms of cricketing sense. I had same thought when I saw Saqib during his U-17 days...Saqib is still learning fast but Raqibul seemed really ready for the stage.

Equally, I am a bit surprised that Ashraful was not all smiles with this great innings by Sakib/Raqibul. How did he inspire him or the other team members by his comments? Here comes the maturity bit... Even Bashar wouldve praised Raqibul first and then talk about failures of the entire top order. Asharafuls lack of common sense or communication skills has become really freaky these days, its scary and agonizing.

Haradhon
March 12, 2008, 12:46 PM
I think we are facing an SA team that is stronger than the one at last year’s WC. Steyn and Nel, in their current form, are among the top ten bowlers and venomous not only to our boys but also to the likes of Ponting’s and Gilchrest’s.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
But the truth about why we continue to lose is our batters hardly give us a 230+ innings in ODIs so our bowlers can defend it.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
In the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> ODI: Tamim saw the ball well but felt that he could beat the hell out of it without moving his feet a bit. Nafees forgot about leaving the balls that are far away from the off stump line. Ash could not resist the temptation of displaying his “natural” pull shot when the score was almost zero. Nazimuddin did not get a favor from the pitch when needed. Then Shakib and Roqibul showed their seniors, especially Captain Ash what sensible batting means, but both of them gave their wickets up playing the shots they did not have to play. Without their partnership the match could have been a capitulation. Dhiman could not get set and was run out.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
So we needed one more partnership from the top order. But it did not happen because Ash, Nafees and Tamim did not play sensibly. What if Ash did not play that pull shot, Nafees were a bit more careful on the outside off balls and Tamim moved his feet to prevent inside edge to stamps? When Tamim fell too early, Ash should have changed his plan by giving up his so-called natural stroke. Imagine if Ash and Dhiman scored their runs we would have scored 250.<o:p></o:p>
Mosharraf’s spin has no venom; he may be a Test material. Razzak, Masri and Rasel get the grade of well-done.<o:p></o:p>
We need more and more players cross that psychological barrier on the crease and get training on how to assess the team’s situation on the fly and learn how to play the first 2 overs without taking unnecessary risks. The Hassan’s saved us from embarrassment and the bowlers get credit for having SA work until the 48<SUP>th</SUP> over. The reasons we are in the 9<SUP>th</SUP> place of the ODI chart is because our spin bowling is good enough to restrict any ODI side to 250, and once in a while we have a batter who shines against any world class bowling. With the emergence of Nazimuddin, Roqibul and Dhiman/Mushfiq (when in good form) I will keep faith in our team.<o:p></o:p>
I will continue to have more sleepless nights only to see how these boys mature. The 3 ODI would be a test for Ash’s captaincy, and probably the Eid Day for us.<o:p></o:p>

Tigers_eye
March 12, 2008, 01:01 PM
I SWEAR HAD MIRAZ DIDN'T MENTION THE NAMES I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT WE WERE LISTENING TO HB.

So many things are exactly the same.
1. I am not getting runs but am in a good form, feel good.
2. Half-hearted credit to performers.
3. Bashing is own soldiers and he being the general.
4. Touch of arrogance.

He wanted to play on the square leg? How about not hoisting it that high? How about instead of six take a four?

If Graham Smith can skip the media and send Amla after winning the match and making a hundred, then I think Ash should have just sent Shakib to the media after losing and making a DUCK.

AsifTheManRahman
March 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
He accuses Roqibul for playing shot on the air in the 38th over, but he plays the shot as early as 3rd over.

And team planning was not playing shots on the air until the 40th over. Is he above the team planning?

With a wicket down in the third ball, taking the aerial route was utter foolishness, no matter how good the shot looked.

This reliance on luck is getting pretty tiring. If you can't score, just admit it. It doesn't matter if the ball hits the right places of the bat if you're not going to stick to the team plans and do as you please.

WarWolf
March 12, 2008, 01:08 PM
I think this talks about Ash. A dumb person who failed to learn over 8 years. Probably he is the only pure batsman in the world right now who got the opportunity of playing 100+ ODIs and failed to raise his average even up to 30.

<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="1" bordercolor="#111111" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100"><tbody><tr style=""><td rowspan="4" style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 96pt;" nowrap="nowrap" width="128"> Mohammad Ashraful (http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/content/player/55988.html)

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 62pt;" nowrap="nowrap" width="83"> 2001-2008

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 106

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 100

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 9

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 2024

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 22.24

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 2775

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 72.93

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 1

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 12

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 9

</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 62pt;" nowrap="nowrap" width="83"> 2004-2008

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 82

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 76

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 8

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 1698

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 24.97

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 2266

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 74.93

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 1

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 10

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 6

</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 62pt;" nowrap="nowrap" width="83"> 2006-2008

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 49

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 44

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 7

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 971

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 87

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 26.24

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 1289

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 75.32

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 0

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 6

</td> </tr> <tr style=""> <td style="padding: 0.75pt; width: 62pt;" nowrap="nowrap" width="83"> 2007-2008

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 23

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 22

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 3

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 517

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 87

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 27.21

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 649

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 79.66

</td> <td style="padding: 0.75pt;"> 3

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 01:35 PM
Good to know that he is feeling the heat..

At one stage, the young skipper however lost his temper and responded heatedly to a question stating whether the media men were out for his head.

WarWolf
March 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
Bechara.... Sir Ashrafoool

Tigers_eye
March 12, 2008, 01:41 PM
I think this talks about Ash. A dumb person who failed to learn over 8 years. Probably he is the only pure batsman in the world right now who got the opportunity of playing 100+ ODIs and failed to raise his average even up to 30...
And at one time we had a discussion on he getting to 40/40 overall average on both form of game. That was couple of years back I recall. Amar shatey onek bak bitonta kora hoisey.

Ki ekhon ki abar or position change korar time ashchey? Shakib 2nd down'a silo ar ash 3rd down'a. Jor korey shakib'rey shorano holo cause shonar cheley 2nd down'a kheltey chai.

Beamer
March 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
Nice way of throwing the newcomer under the bus! Bravo Ash. Captaincy in cricket is a multi-pronged affair. He not only has to lead the team on the field, he also has to look after the man management aspect of the game. This finger pointing is a bad example. Whether he does it on purpose or he is simply unaware of that basic understanding is irrelevant. He needs avoid pointing fingers. Educate yourself Ash if you have the capacity.

Miraz
March 12, 2008, 02:04 PM
I SWEAR HAD MIRAZ DIDN'T MENTION THE NAMES I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT WE WERE LISTENING TO HB.

That's pretty harsh on Bashar. He was a good person in front of media for most pasrt of his career. I have never seen him accusing a performing youngster for the team failure when he himslef failed to perform.

Shobha
March 12, 2008, 02:13 PM
OK guys i couldnt watch the whole match due to educational difficulties. But i did check the scorecard and must say my eyes nearly popped out :owhen i saw bd's bowling attck...TAMIM!!!!!...omg what next? i mean tamim in to bowl????that is correct right?

Anyway does anyone know where i could watch it????

Dhakablues
March 12, 2008, 02:18 PM
You cant watch it in our night-mares,,, sorry couldnt resist!!

Murad
March 12, 2008, 02:21 PM
Haire AShraful.. Manush hoili na...

He should start going to college. He needs to get some education. He's lacking that education allong with cricket educations.

akabir77
March 12, 2008, 02:22 PM
I have said this before and saying it again ASH is not a captain material. He is like a poor man's Afridi who can be sent by the CAPTAIN to slog when ever needed and keep his finger crossed. I have seen him enough he is not going to change even if you make him the president of bangladesh.

There is a saying in BANGLA "KUTTAR LEG khono shoja hoy na" And i believe its true about him.

On the other hand i think When Aftab becomes 26+ age by that time he will change.

akabir77
March 12, 2008, 02:24 PM
... He needs avoid pointing fingers. Educate yourself Ash if you have the capacity.

I believe he is not capable of learning or educating by him self or by others.

zainab
March 12, 2008, 02:42 PM

It is good for him to feel the heat and the media should be after him a lot more.
This will humiliate him and maybe force him to perform and speak less. Ash has to learn that his fans are watching him closely and that he is losing his popularity by continuing with his recklessness.

Pundit
March 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
No, its not moronic. It was during powerplay when you expect to hit out some balls. The shot was perfectly fine and was played with control. If he would have played it anywhere else he would have been safe. Afterall, there aren't too many players guarding the boundary during powerplay.

On another note, you are right, the key was before opening his account, I would agree there. He should have taken a bit more time and should have seen how the ball was behaving. But I guess he thought in that ball he had opportunity to score and went for it.

About hitting Nel, why not? The ugly faces he makes do more talking than his bowling. And if you hit him, then you are certainly demoralizing him (as he feels nobody can hit him), and if he is low in confidence then you would get more bad balls from him.

The bottom line is that he was out! And that's it!

100% effort and 0% output is not desirable in any form of endevour.

And Nel makes ugly faces - and we fall for it! He surely knows that now. Unfortunately, we still don't.

And you say he was in full control - how did it then land in the hands of a fielder.

You say that is what powerplay was meant for - that is a cricket game law, merely. If you have more serious problems, you respond differently.

Shaan
March 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
why on earth Ashraful's shot always reaches to the fielder, why not other teams batsman's shots so often reaches to the fielders as like Asharaful's? Its very simple Ashrafull mostly doesn't have any control on his shot at the beginning of his innigns. So why not then he plays more ground shots at the begining of his innings then later with control airy shots. He should learn from today's game the way young Rakib played.

Sohel
March 12, 2008, 03:09 PM
The bottom line is that he was out! And that's it!

100% effort and 0% output is not desirable in any form of endevour.

And Nel makes ugly faces - and we fall for it! He surely knows that now. Unfortunately, we still don't.

And you say he was in full control - how did it then land in the hands of a fielder.

You say that is what powerplay was meant for - that is a cricket game law, merely. If you have more serious problems, you respond differently.

Spot on.

cricket_dorshok
March 12, 2008, 03:19 PM
I have said this before and saying it again ASH is not a captain material. He is like a poor man's Afridi who can be sent by the CAPTAIN to slog when ever needed and keep his finger crossed. I have seen him enough he is not going to change even if you make him the president of bangladesh.

There is a saying in BANGLA "KUTTAR LEG khono shoja hoy na" And i believe its true about him.

Exactly my thought.

BANFAN
March 12, 2008, 03:40 PM
If Raquibul violated the team decision by playing in the air before 40th over, how can he play on the air on his first ball? and Raqibul didnt take thika of the team, the next batsman should have executed the plan. It's very funny & hurting to hear such comments fom Ashraful.

Sorry Ash, you just look like a pinch hitter now, please show your class, if you belong to that class of hitting century in debut & youngest centurian in the test cricket. Learn to appreciate your best performer as a captain.

akabir77
March 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
I said this in another thread but stating it here too.

didn't ash wanted to play at number 5? why is he coming in 3/4 now?

BANFAN
March 12, 2008, 04:41 PM
I said this in another thread but stating it here too.

didn't ash wanted to play at number 5? why is he coming in 3/4 now?

You are right. He is so unstable with his decisions. He is obviously better in 5/6, he has problem with new ball and specially if it is moving, his game is over. The kind of shot he plays is unsuitable in 3/4.

But he is now captain, and he became greedy to use the power play. He is not using his brain at all, he must know his strength and weaknesses. We all know his problems, only he doesn't.

reyme
March 12, 2008, 04:41 PM
It seems nothing is working out, both on and off the field. Ash should stop attending media conf and get some sleep or do some nets instead.

The_Yorker
March 12, 2008, 05:13 PM
When it is Ashraful’s day, he plays like any top world-class player. It's so entertaining to watch him. Unfortunately it happens one out of ten games. Any other time, he throws his wicket as if he is a bowler. As a captain he has disappointed most of us. He should go through psychological treatment as well as be coached on how to be a good captain; otherwise Bangladesh should consider no-captain team. It will be a great sorrow to see such a player to drain his talent due to his own foolishness, arrogance and misjudgment of the game.

akabir77
March 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
When it is Ashraful’s day, he plays like any top world-class player. It's so entertaining to watch him. Unfortunately it happens one out of ten games. Any other time, he throws his wicket as if he is a bowler. As a captain he has disappointed most of us. He should go through psychological treatment as well as be coached on how to be a good captain; otherwise Bangladesh should consider no-captain team. It will be a great sorrow to see such a player to drain his talent due to his own foolishness, arrogance and misjudgment of the game.

This is a false assumption that he plays like a world-class players. He plays over the top. so when it works yahhooo. but you wont see any top class players playing over the top shots that early. so thats the difference.

SS
March 12, 2008, 09:02 PM
Ashraful is not captain material, hundreds of players are better captain than him.
Ashraful is talented but not professional top order who can score consistently, There are hundreds of batsmen talented like him in the world who are more professional and scores more.
He was superb on few occasions hundreds of batsmen were also superb in many occasions.
Either he is arrogant/selfish or he does not have any responsibility, hundreds of batsmen in the world even playing in different leagues have mastered responsibility and play for the team and perform.
Ashraful is entertainer but not peformers, hundreds of batsmen are both performer and then entertainer.
In professional cricket performance matters...Ashraful does it once in a blue moon, hundreds of batsmen does it frequently.
In a nutshell, Ashraful is nothing but non performing irresponsible, unprofessional captain/player like many other street cricketers who are entertainers.

Fazal
March 12, 2008, 09:15 PM
A
In a nutshell, Ashraful is nothing but non performing irresponsible, unprofessional captain/player like many other street cricketers who are entertainers.

You mean street vendor?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1243/888747906_8b4b29ecbd.jpg

Tehsin
March 13, 2008, 08:55 PM
Since we were talking about backing up your men, something Ash failed to do, I wanted to share this from the dailystar. JS shared this with the media:

"We are all concerned about Ash (Mohammad Ashraful). He is a match-winner for us and we are trying to find a way to get him back to scoring again. We took the shackles off him a bit yesterday and it didn't quite work. Unfortunately with the way his luck is going at the moment a lot of different things are happening to him and the ball didn't clear the fence and he got out. I am definitely keen to see him perform," he hoped.

The shackles were taken off. Doesn't mean that Ash should have gone for it but atleast we now know that the coach backed him up. Something Ash could definitely learn from.

djnaved
March 13, 2008, 09:02 PM

exactly my thought:)

Miraz bhai hoilo amader cricket guru... :-D

Miraz bhai should be the coach of bangladesh, he will be do fine, where siddons is failing to get batsmans in form

One World
March 13, 2008, 09:26 PM
Powerplay advantage must be taken. Can't blame ASH for the shot selection but his blame game towards Tamim and Raqibul is disgusting,

KnightBD
March 13, 2008, 09:39 PM
I don't think Ash can communicate with other players and bring energy during games. Nobody seems to be enthusiastic in recent games! Why he is after the highest score player? Rakibul did the right thing. When we were at 130ish with only 13 overs left, he had to try to pick up the run rate. Accelerate in last ten overs does not mean it has to be strictly 10 overs!!! Who put these ideas in his head?

Dhruvo
March 18, 2008, 11:43 AM

DHAKA (TigerCricket.com): Bangladesh skipper Mohammad Ashraful and all-rounder Shakib Al Hassan, who passed 1000 runs in his 39th ODI during the course of his 52 in the Bangladesh innings of 173, spoke after the Tigers lost by seven wickets in the second ODI at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur today (Wednesday) to concede the Warid ODI Series.

Mohammad Ashraful

Shakib Al Hasan

On the 119 run partnership with Roqibul, a Bangladesh record for the sixth wicket

We didn't actually plan and didn't talk or anything. I just concentrated on playing as long as possible. I thought if we could take the partnership past the 40th over then the next batsmen coming in would have been able to play more freely.

more from tigercricket.com (http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=519)

billah
March 18, 2008, 11:54 AM

Mohammad Ashraful

more from tigercricket.com (http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=519)

Well. That catches the eye. Here are his outs:

T1 I1<o:p></o:p>
22.5 Botha to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, rush of blood.... flighted outside off, lands on a fullish length, Ashraful tries to biff that past the bowler but ends up hitting it low to him, Botha takes it just inches off the ground, Ashraful is in doubt if the ball was grassed but replays show a clean catch Mohammad Ashraful c & b Botha 34 (58m 27b 7x4 0x6) SR: 125.92<o:p></o:p>
T1I2<o:p></o:p>
31.6 Ntini to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, Ntini sets him up and succeeds, he pitches it on a fullish length outside off, Ashraful leans onto the drive, fails to get behind the line and gets a thin edge to Boucher. That was a wicket against the run of play Mohammad Ashraful c <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="wicketkeeper" style='width:5.25pt;height:10.5pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_im age001.gif" o:href="http://img.cricinfo.com/engine-nav/keeper.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif<!--[endif]-->Boucher b Ntini 24 (100m 52b 1x4 1x6) SR: 46.15<o:p></o:p>
T2I1<o:p></o:p>
12.3 Steyn to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, Two in two. Steyn's strike rate keeps getting better. No 101. Fast and furious bouncer, Ashraful stabs it and the ball evades the ungainly fend and bounds off the gloves and bobs up for Boucher to hold. They appeal, Bucknor remains impassive as ever, they continue to appeal and slowly the fatal finger goes up. Mohammad Ashraful c <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="wicketkeeper" style='width:5.25pt;height:10.5pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_im age001.gif" o:href="http://img.cricinfo.com/engine-nav/keeper.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif<!--[endif]-->Boucher b Steyn 0 (2m 1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00<o:p></o:p>
T2I2<o:p></o:p>
23.4 Steyn to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, After softening him up with bouncers, Steyn dishes out another lifter, this time making him play. The ball rears up on him outside off, Ashraful pokes his bat out and gets a thick edge through to Boucher Mohammad Ashraful c <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="wicketkeeper" style='width:5.25pt; height:10.5pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_im age001.gif" o:href="http://img.cricinfo.com/engine-nav/keeper.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif<!--[endif]-->Boucher b Steyn 4 (21m 20b 0x4 0x6) SR: 20.00<o:p></o:p>
ODI1<o:p></o:p>
20.5 Morkel to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, trapped by a yorker. Full and on the middle and leg stump line, swung in late to evade the drive. Ash reckons it would have missed the leg stump but Umpire Enamul believes it would have crashed into the leg stump as the batsman had not taken a great forward stride. Mohammad Ashraful lbw b Morkel 8 (32m 24b 1x4 0x6) SR: 33.33<o:p></o:p>
ODI2<o:p></o:p>
2.1 Nel to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, Superb judgment at the boundary.... Nel bangs it in short outside the offstump, Ashraful is tempted into the hook, he fails to get the desired elevation to clear long-leg and Albie Morkel runs across from fine leg, fixes his gaze on the ball and takes it on the slide with both hands just inches away from the rope Mohammad Ashraful c Morkel b Nel 0 (10m 4b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00<o:p></o:p>
ODI3<o:p></o:p>
15.1 JA Morkel to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, Dust to Ash es . Death by aggression. Full in length, on the middle stump and he goes for a ugly heave and can only manage to send it to mid-on. Ashraful is livid with himself. But the deed has been done. Just 17 runs in this series. What a waste of a talent. Mohammad Ashraful c Amla b JA Morkel 9 (10b 1x4 0x6) SR: 90.00<o:p></o:p>

He should shut up, let the bat do the talking and in the least, be honest at the press conferences.

Sohel
March 18, 2008, 12:34 PM
... He should shut up, let the bat do the talking and in the least, be honest at the press conferences.

Amen brother.

Fazal
March 18, 2008, 12:38 PM
Khaisee. What is this?

Are we still playing SA or Ireland?

This is old news Dhrubo.... already discussed in other thread.

billah
March 18, 2008, 12:44 PM
Khaisee. What is this?

Are we still playing SA or Ireland?

This is old news Dhrubo.... already discussed in other thread.

May be Dhrubo is looking at it from another angle. Sakib's statement directly contradicted the statement of his captain. "The plan was" vs. "we didn't actually plan..."
Also, Sakib was honest & forthcoming - instead of saying "I did everything right" etc...

irteja
March 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
yes OLD news...we know it

Ehsan
March 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
Threads merged. Dhrubo, please look around before you start a new thread. When its quite an old news, the chances are that it has been discussed and already been posted.

Thanks,
Ehsan
-Mod

Ehsan
March 18, 2008, 12:53 PM
May be Dhrubo is looking at it from another angle. Sakib's statement directly contradicted the statement of his captain. "The plan was" vs. "we didn't actually plan..."
Also, Sakib was honest & forthcoming - instead of saying "I did everything right" etc...

Actually in the clip of the interview, Shakib said that the plan was to not lose wicket till 40th over. He also said that the team plan was hampered because Rakib gave away his wicket although he played good.

Below is the clip uploaded by Nasif bhai.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Ihvl994o3g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Ihvl994o3g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

cricman
March 18, 2008, 01:03 PM
<o:p></o:p>

He should shut up, let the bat do the talking and in the least, be honest at the press conferences.

He was talking about the dismissal in the 2nd ODI not for the entire series and why highlight every dismissal in the SA series?

billah
March 18, 2008, 01:12 PM
He was talking about the dismissal in the 2nd ODI not for the entire series and why highlight every dismissal in the SA series?

Because, first - I think it is relevant to the thread topic.

Second - He failed in the entire series due to his own irresponsible batting.