PDA

View Full Version : Which shot do you play the best?

Ishtylish cricketer
March 31, 2008, 08:30 AM
I think many of us in the BC forum has played cricket at organized level or has recreationally so keeping this in mind I would like to know from the BC members which shot/ shots are your favourites or you think you play the best if you play cricket at any level. Were you taught the stroke(s) or learned it by watching tv ie your favourite player?

Yameen
March 31, 2008, 09:09 AM
I played for various clubs and currently in my uni team, Id say the shot I play the best is when the ball is pitched up and I get on the front foot and play a lofted straight shot down the ground. Also i like to shuffle across to the offside and play a sweep shot against the pacers, its like semi 'ashraful scoop' shot that he plays lolz.

Other than that, in general im quite good on the offside and playing straight, especially going aerial.
Id say ive learnt most of my techniques from coaches etc, and also self improvisation and watching the ashraful scoop shot has influenced me as well.

Kana-Baba
March 31, 2008, 09:38 AM
ommm....let me think.......

my best shot? playing cross-bat and getting bowled! :)

Surfer
March 31, 2008, 10:11 AM
I was an opener and had to face the new ball. So, played mostly with a straight bat. The straight drive was personally the most satisfactory shot...especially when the ball is moving. I also loved dancing down the tracks and hitting spinners over the infield. Even though I was an opener, I always enjoyed playing spinners more....may be because most teams I played against had excellent spinners who were really challenging.

MohammedC
March 31, 2008, 10:20 AM
Last time I played proper cricket it must have been atleast 10 years ago. My best shot was cover drive

Nafi
March 31, 2008, 01:25 PM
Best shot

SQUARE CUT

A very difficult shot to play, but one that I just play so naturally with the roll of the wrist on the back foot.

RazabQ
March 31, 2008, 02:03 PM
Cover drive for me; albeit when in form. Anything on middle, off or the 4th stump that's of a drivable lenght - I'll get on the front foot and drive it thru that arc between stumps and cover point. Mind you - not the classical elbow pointing down the ground style epitomized by Ian Bell. A little more bottom hand in my shot. Also play the lofted bowlers back drive pretty well.

Mahir
March 31, 2008, 02:04 PM
The Straight and Cover drive along the ground - two shots I love to and have to play as a top-order batsman. Learned 'em by watching on tv, and with access to some coaching at present, I'm trying to rectify a few technical faults, esp my tendency to force the bottom hand.

Shaan
March 31, 2008, 02:26 PM
Hook is my favorite shot, also play often square cut, most shot I enjoy is cover drive through the ground along to boundary gives me really great feelings:) my weakness is slow medium bowling which very difficult to time and adjust :(

Nafis_BD
March 31, 2008, 02:45 PM
All the shots. Because if you are a good batsmen, all of your shots have to be perfect. If it has to come down to just one then it would have to be the hook/pull or cover drive. It feels great when you hook/pull someone twice your age.:) Anything on the off side which I could drive would go for a four. Timing is the key for cover drive and it isn't such a problem when you get fast bowlers.

Tigers_eye
March 31, 2008, 03:17 PM
Any shot that will fetch me a four or six (lucky shots included). I tend to avoid six nowadays. Use the balls speed. What more can you expect from a fast tearaway?

bdchamp20
March 31, 2008, 03:58 PM
forward defence...lol

Fazal
March 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
My favorite shot is Jump shot. The other one is Angle shot.

..... its a while I played pool last time.

Ishtylish cricketer
March 31, 2008, 06:24 PM
Mahir what's my best shot? I usually play all around the ground but this ability of mine is unappreciated by my skipper and coach/seletor who continuously advise me to play straight. I think I play clip off the pads to midwicket pretty well. I'd like to think I'm a good on driver as well. I guess that's why I enjoy Belly's batting. Try to play the cover drives like him but my over ambition of driving on the up when it's not very full sometimes result in caught keeper or slip. Love to watch players who have great touch as well as power. Huge Tendulkar fan. Love the way he bats. Obviously based on my avatar and comments anyone can guess that I like Ian Bell's approach to batting...and try to emulate his orthodox way of batting. His batting proves that bigger shots are just extension of normal cricketing shots and learning cricket the proper way can bring good results.

Farhad
March 31, 2008, 07:12 PM
Definitely the straight drive. I imagine all openers have to be pretty adept at it to survive through the first few overs...

Rommel
March 31, 2008, 08:28 PM
Pull shot

AsifTheManRahman
March 31, 2008, 08:42 PM
Jharu and kodal.

Seriously though, I think the straight (off) drive and the square cut.

tonoy
March 31, 2008, 09:24 PM
For me, any way to survive at the crease would do. Im more of the kocha type of player, who relies more on singles and stuff. :P

Murad
March 31, 2008, 11:06 PM
Upper cut.

Ball bat er upper edge e laiga upore uthe jabe ar fielder dhore pelbe.. ami out hoye jabo....:-p

al-Sagar
March 31, 2008, 11:10 PM
i try to play frontfoot cover drive or back foot square drive but i get beaten and my off stump out of th ground.

anyway i am not a good batsman but a better skiddy medium pace bowler

Nocturnal
April 1, 2008, 12:09 AM
Flick off the legs :)

Mahir
April 1, 2008, 12:38 AM
Mahir what's my best shot?

You covered it : clip off the pads to midwicket and the on drive. Also, those on-the-up square-drives of yours purely on timing will give you lots of runs.

Anyone mastered the Ash-scoop ?

Nafi
April 1, 2008, 09:50 AM

I'll tried it three times, twice in the nets. One was successful, first time hit the splice of the bat and hit me in the helmet.

Third time in a friendly match, and got a four.

bdchamp20
April 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
You covered it : clip off the pads to midwicket and the on drive. Also, those on-the-up square-drives of yours purely on timing will give you lots of runs.

I havent mastered it(well, no-one except Ash has anyway) but I can play a similar shot against fast bowlers

BANFAN
April 1, 2008, 02:22 PM
We used to have 20 overs matches in our school/college competitions, but usually it was hard to keep the wickets and bat for whole 20 over. I was opening and my capt & manager tasked me to just defend, in one of the vital matches. I survived all 20 overs, made 7 runs N.O (all singles) and we won. Most bizzare innings I played all my life, but First time I discovered, how interesting defensive shots can be. I enjoyed the frustration of the bowlers.

But I love to play cut shots & and straight drives.

One World
April 1, 2008, 09:36 PM
Not a batsman. Start another thread what is your best balling style - then I will tell you. :)

Ishtylish cricketer
April 1, 2008, 10:13 PM
I will start a thread inspired by your idea.

Dhruvo
April 1, 2008, 10:18 PM
Well i play the front foot leg glance and the straight drive well,i used to play the hook shot well then something happened to me.

djnaved
April 1, 2008, 11:41 PM
squar cut and paddle scoop(ashraful shot):-D

al Furqaan
April 2, 2008, 11:00 AM
none...i bat like a true tail ender

my favorite shot is the cover drive or straight drive...but i can rarely execute it.

i really like to defend on the front foot though.