PDA

View Full Version : I guess we've seen the last of Shoaib Akhtar then

Aritro
April 1, 2008, 07:32 AM
http://aus.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/344698.html

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, 32, has been banned for five years by a disciplinary committee of the PCB for violating the players' code of conduct.
"The board has lost confidence in Shoaib Akhtar and therefore felt that his presence in the field was damaging to the Pakistan team, for Pakistan players and for the image of Pakistan cricket," PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf told AFP.
Akhtar had appeared before a disciplinary committee after being charged with publicly criticising the Pakistan board. He was already on two years' probation for hitting Mohammad Asif with a bat before the start of the World Twenty20 in South Africa in 2007.

It is April fool's day mind you.

What's the odds that the Cricinfo editor wakes up tomorrow and changes the headline to 'Gotcha!'?

BANFAN
April 1, 2008, 07:34 AM
Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, 32, has been banned for five years by a disciplinary committee of the PCB for violating the players' code of conduct.

It is an equal loss for the whole cric world, as much as it is for Shoaib. I am sure everyone will miss a bowler of shoaib's standard.

Wasn't the decision too harsh? After all it's sports and not a military svc. Neither he has done something which relates to poor morality.

Full Story (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/344698.html)

Surfer
April 1, 2008, 07:35 AM
What's the odds that the Cricinfo editor wakes up tomorrow and changes the headline to 'Gotcha!'?

Its all over the news channels now.

I thought this is what he wanted. He provoked the PCB into doing this so that he could mint money in IPL without any problem.

Tintin
April 1, 2008, 07:40 AM
Welcome to ICL, Shoaiby. The Lahore Badshahs is already frighteningly powerful.

Edit : Oh, wait. He can still play for IPL and make much more than if he plays in the series against BD and SL for example. This must be just what he wanted.

mahbubH
April 1, 2008, 07:47 AM
I will not be surprised if we see Shoaib playing for Pakistan national team again. Paki board already has taken so many decisions to change him but he remains the old and original Shoaib!! They should keep him out of Pakistan team long time before.

bharat
April 1, 2008, 07:47 AM
Its good for Pak cricket..the next I would think would be Afridi.

Pak cricket would be a better off without these spent forces.The side looks a shadow of itself..A move in the correct direction

Miraz
April 1, 2008, 07:48 AM
How many times he got banned? How many times he vowed to comeback? How many times the bans got lifted?

I have lost count. Hope this will be the end of the circus.

Apologies to the Pakistani fans for the harsh words.

BANFAN
April 1, 2008, 07:54 AM
Welcome to ICL, Shoaiby. The Lahore Badshahs is already frighteningly powerful.

Edit : Oh, wait. He can still play for IPL and make much more than if he plays in the series against BD and SL for example. This must be just what he wanted.

Ha ha ha, well said.

'What you do, If you fall in hot water? - Take a shower'

ICL, that's the only option for him now.

BANFAN
April 1, 2008, 07:55 AM
IPL will also be closed for him, probably

Edited: The ban extends to cricket for and in Pakistan but will leave him free to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL), which begins later this month.

Some opportunity for him at last.

Surfer
April 1, 2008, 08:02 AM
I thought this is what he wanted. He provoked the PCB into doing this so that he could mint money in IPL without any problem.

Ehsan
April 1, 2008, 08:03 AM
Sad demise of a great fast bowler (may not be a great person but who are we to judge). This 5 year ban will most likely not allow Shoaib to come back again. I thought it was bit too harsh. However, I think Shoaib can still appeal against the ban, and he probably will. Lets see what happens.

al-Sagar
April 1, 2008, 08:57 AM
i would love not to see him again

BD-Shardul
April 1, 2008, 09:28 AM
He can go and play county cricket in England

Yameen
April 1, 2008, 09:32 AM
good riddance to that druggie..they should now ban the other cheat afridi

thebest
April 1, 2008, 12:29 PM
PCB soap opera continue. I feel sorry for Shoaib. Last of the few characters in cricket. With Warne's retirement and now Shoaib cricket lost all of its crowd puller.
Does PCB is the worst board in handling its player? You can not control genius; you have guide to focus him in his job. Shoaib is genius. PCB failed to perform their duty. India and SL lucky in this sense that they do not have to deal with flawed genius (Tendy and Murali are self regulated). PCB should take some lessons from ACB how to do this. ACB's action to regulate Warne and Ponting should be text book material to handle genius.

My_Wayz
April 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
Thebest, shoaib is lucky in a way that he didn't play against India and Australia enough.

he averages 35 against both teams.. and his average would have just worsened had he continued playing..

shoaib is just a useless crab.. it's good that pcb got rid of him.. cricinfo page doesn't need an article or page on him.. better put something about associate cricket nation team then putting a usual crap about Actor getting misbehaved and stuff..

this guy was drug adduct.. above all, he never learned to keep quite.. always doing some dramas here and there..

deservs to be slapped quite early..

auntu
April 1, 2008, 12:57 PM
i think there will b a twist from PCB n the ban will stay only 6 months to 1 year

Rabz
April 1, 2008, 12:57 PM
A fitting end to a boring saga.
World cricket would be much better off without this drug-cheat, mate-bashing,
big-mouth, ( but sadly a genius).

pakistan cricket would stand to gain the most.
last thing they need is someone who dents the coherence amongst the team members.

Eshen
April 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
Nashim Ashraf is going out of power in few days. I won't be surprised if the next PCB boss overturns this ban or reduces it.

Murad
April 1, 2008, 01:00 PM
I think they should reduce it to 1 yr.

5 yr is too too much.

auntu
April 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
I think they should reduce it to 1 yr.

5 yr is too too much.

ditto

BANFAN
April 1, 2008, 01:19 PM
i think there will b a twist from PCB n the ban will stay only 6 months to 1 year

I also have similar feelings

Ehsan
April 1, 2008, 01:46 PM
Akhtar to fight in court

Afp, Islamabad

Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akhtar said Tuesday he will fight a five-year ban imposed on him by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for violating the players' code of conduct.

"I am deeply disappointed and hurt. I will go to court and fight against the ban," Akhtar told AFP minutes after a disciplinary committee imposed the ban.

The 32-year-old Akhtar appeared before the committee earlier Tuesday, charged with publicly criticising the country's board in January for reducing his contract status.

He was already on two-years probation for hitting a teammate with a bat.

"I was demoted from central contract 'A' category, which was very hurtful and as a reaction I said something. I have apologised to the PCB, before the disciplinary committee and before everyone," Akhtar said.

"So I thought that they would take a lenient action, but this harsh decision has effectively ended my career. I still want to play for my country," he said.

PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf told reporters as he announced the decision that Akhtar was given several chances and since he was on two-years probation, the ban was justified.

Akhtar refused to accept Ashraf's claims that he was a negative influence on the team.

"Ask the captain (Shoaib Malik), ask coach Geoff Lawson and they would vouch for me. I had played with high fever on the India tour (last year), which proved my commitment for the team," Akhtar said.

"I bowl fast so I am prone to injuries, but I have given my heart, soul and body to this team. I know some vested interest did not want me to be the part of the team, but I will be back."

Source: http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=30341

Tigers_eye
April 1, 2008, 03:17 PM
There is a timeline in Cricinfo. that is a classic read.

Murad
April 1, 2008, 03:25 PM
2002 Hit by a brick from the Dhaka crowd in January, forcing him to miss end of tour

Can anyone tell me what was the story??

akabir77
April 1, 2008, 03:43 PM
Can anyone tell me what was the story??

the story goes like this.

A brick flew from the gallery and hit him. end of the story...:-D

Murad
April 1, 2008, 03:48 PM

Nice Story :-|

al Furqaan
April 1, 2008, 04:17 PM
Sad demise of a great fast bowler (may not be a great person but who are we to judge). This 5 year ban will most likely not allow Shoaib to come back again. I thought it was bit too harsh. However, I think Shoaib can still appeal against the ban, and he probably will. Lets see what happens.

he is the ICC's version of Pacman Jones...a player of limitless talent and limitless stupidity as well.

he needed a good kick in the a$$, and i'm glad he got it. if he does come back, then perhaps he will moderate his bestial behavior. his aggression as it pertained to cricket was good...i even will not disagree with his agression off the field. after all a player who almost gets into a fight with a guy for harassing his girlfriend is my kinda athlete. but his selfishness with regards to his country and teammates, and fans was the kicker.

Pakistan deserved better from him. he could have left wasim, waqar, and imran in his vapor trail - statistically at least - but now with just 178 test wickets, he will just be a good fast bowler, and not one of the greatest of all time.

ultimately he cheated himself, and he will be held accountable to the Almighty for wasting such gifts.

my condolensces to the fans of Pakistan.

Rumz_01
April 1, 2008, 05:12 PM
He was a great bowler...but i never liked him..(i think it was his hair...too greasy lol) but its a shame...

zahid
April 1, 2008, 05:23 PM
He is the Fastest bowler in Asia , right?

He also has the highest speed. Right?

Sovik
April 1, 2008, 05:24 PM
he will be back.

desirocker
April 1, 2008, 05:56 PM
How many times he got banned? How many times he vowed to comeback? How many times the bans got lifted?

I have lost count. Hope this will be the end of the circus.

Apologies to the Pakistani fans for the harsh words.

don't apologize yet, that man really didn't leave any legacy at all to the cricket world. Best of luck to the young paki cricketers.

irteja
April 1, 2008, 08:36 PM
শোয়েব আখতারের কিছু মহান কৃর্তি দেখুন।

ডিসেম্বর, ১৯৯৯: অবৈধ বোলিং অ্যাকশনের জন্য নিষিদ্ধ।

ফেব্রুয়ারি, ২০০০: অস্ট্রেলিয়া সফরে আচরণবিধি ভঙ্গের দায়ে এক টেস্টে নিষিদ্ধ। ৫০ হাজার রুপি জরিমানা।

জানুয়ারি, ২০০১: অবৈধ বোলিং অ্যাকশনের জন্য দ্বিতীয় দফায় নিষিদ্ধ।

নভেম্বর, ২০০২: হারারে টেস্টে দর্শকদের লক্ষ্য করে বোতল ছুড়ে মারায় ম্যাচ ফির ৫০ শতাংশ জরিমানা ও এক ওয়ানডের জন্য বহিষ্ককার।

ডিসেম্বর, ২০০২: বল ট্যাম্পারিংয়ের অভিযোগ। এক টেস্টে নিষিদ্ধ।

মে, ২০০৩: শ্রীলঙ্কায় ত্রিদেশীয় সিরিজে আবারও বল ট্যাম্পারিংয়ের দায়ে অভিযুক্ত। ম্যাচ ফির ৭৫ শতাংশ জরিমানা ও দুই ওয়ানডেতে নিষিদ্ধ।

অক্টোবর, ২০০৩: লাহোর টেস্টে দক্ষিণ আফ্রিকার পল অ্যাডামসকে গালিগালাজ করায় এক টেস্ট ও দুই ওয়ানডের জন্য নিষিদ্ধ।

ডিসেম্বর, ২০০৪: অস্ট্রেলিয়া সফরে প্রতিপক্ষ ব্যাটসম্যানকে বিদ্রূপ করায় ম্যাচ ফির ৪০ শতাংশ জরিমানা।

জানুয়ারি, ২০০৫: অস্ট্রেলিয়ায় ওয়ানডেতে মাত্রাতিরিক্ত আবেদনের জন্য ম্যাচ ফির ২৫ শতাংশ কর্তন।

অক্টোবর, ২০০৬: নিষিদ্ধ ড্রাগ ন্যানড্রোলন নিয়ে ধরা পড়ায় দুই বছর নিষিদ্ধ। পুনর্বিবেচনার জন্য আবেদন করে শাস্তি থেকে মুক্তি।

আগস্ট ২০০৭: কর্তৃপক্ষকে না জানিয়ে প্রস্তুতি ক্যাম্প ছেড়ে যাওয়ায় পাঁচ হাজার ডলার জরিমানা।

অক্টোবর, ২০০৭: নতুন বলের জুটি আসিফকে ব্যাট দিয়ে পেটানোর অপরাধে ১৩টি আন্তর্জাতিক ম্যাচে নিষিদ্ধ, সঙ্গে ৩৪ লাখ রুপি জরিমানা। দুই বছর নজরদারিতে রাখারও সিদ্ধান্ত পিসিবির।

১ এপ্রিল, ২০০৮: পাকিস্তান ক্রিকেটে পাঁচ বছরের জন্য নিষিদ্ধ।

AsifTheManRahman
April 1, 2008, 09:09 PM

Pretty much. The crowd in that section of the galleries retreated pretty fast as soon as he got hit, to evade action from the police. Pakistan decided to play on out of goodwill.

One World
April 1, 2008, 09:29 PM
No way. He will be firing in IPL like a PIA on runway (grogeous ad that was :) with W's). Also may join county cricket. Lot is left I believe.

Sovik
April 2, 2008, 05:54 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/89000/89013.jpg

he is still popular

"I appeal to people not to damage public property and to remain calm."
Shoaib Akhtar gives a statesman-like message after being handed a five-year ban by the Pakistan board

Surfer
April 2, 2008, 06:46 AM
"I appeal to people not to damage public property and to remain calm."
Shoaib Akhtar gives a statesman-like message after being handed a five-year ban by the Pakistan board

This is hilarious. A safe statement indeed. Tomorrow he can safely say that my fans acted decently only because I appealed to them. Otherwise there would have been riots.

Zoey007
April 2, 2008, 09:29 AM
I'm still in a shock situation...the beautiful dream of AAG(Akhtar,Asif,Gul is broken
He was a guy with soooooooooo much talent...hes among the greats like Imran, Wasim and Waqar. Someone too good but also too stupid.
But I think he'll come back...hes a real fighter...who played for Pakistan with high fever...who always played for Pakistan with great passion. I dont think he can go like this...GO Shoaib GO

My_Wayz
April 2, 2008, 09:40 AM
I'm still in a shock situation...the beautiful dream of AAG(Akhtar,Asif,Gul is broken
He was a guy with soooooooooo much talent...hes among the greats like Imran, Wasim and Waqar. Someone too good but also too stupid.
But I think he'll come back...hes a real fighter...who played for Pakistan with high fever...who always played for Pakistan with great passion. I dont think he can go like this...GO Shoaib GO

AAG = [edit]

Yameen
April 2, 2008, 10:11 AM
Akhtar is not a great player, yes he is talented but to he classed as 'legendary', you have to have good sportsmanship and play fair and be a good team player, he hasnt got these attributes im afraid.

al Furqaan
April 2, 2008, 11:02 AM
Pretty much. The crowd in that section of the galleries retreated pretty fast as soon as he got hit, to evade action from the police. Pakistan decided to play on out of goodwill.

had it been zaheer or ishant instead of shoaib, i'll bet india woulda nuked us (oh wait, calcutta is right next door as well as the seven sisters).

al Furqaan
April 2, 2008, 11:10 AM

AAG is dead (not that it ever had a realistic shot with akhtar always being hurt or stupid).

i'm looking forward to SAG (sohail khan, asif, gul)

Tigers_eye
April 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
The ban is going to be over-turned. The politicians are intervening now.

The Drama continues. PCB is always on the lime light for all the wrong reasons.

thebest
April 2, 2008, 01:40 PM
Akhtar is not a great player, yes he is talented but to he classed as 'legendary', you have to have good sportsmanship and play fair and be a good team player, he hasnt got these attributes im afraid.
If those were the criteria for great player/legend then Ponting (unsportsman; remember Aftab); Hayden & Harbazan (recent Aus-Ind) even Tendu (He is proven guilty of ball temparing) is not legend. I consider all of them great player. Ponting and Tendu are living legend. I could tell my grandson that I am fortunate enough to see Tendu bat at his peak in Dhaka.

Yameen
April 2, 2008, 05:00 PM
If those were the criteria for great player/legend then Ponting (unsportsman; remember Aftab); Hayden & Harbazan (recent Aus-Ind) even Tendu (He is proven guilty of ball temparing) is not legend. I consider all of them great player. Ponting and Tendu are living legend. I could tell my grandson that I am fortunate enough to see Tendu bat at his peak in Dhaka.

Im not aware of the Tendulkar ball temparing issue (something I have to look up), but with that aside, yes they are all great players with excellent stats, yes ponting can hold a bat but from what I have seen from his behaviour in the last 4-5 years, he is not worthy of legendary status, he is like a spoilt child on the field n dictates the umpires into making decisions go his away, hes the George W Bush (looks aside) of cricket to be quite frank.

Legends are players like Lara, Richards, Steve Waugh, Bradman, Murali, Gilly etc.
These sample of players are people who gave something to the game and played in the true spirit of cricket as well as achieving exceptionally high standards.

Back to the topic, Akhtar has achieved a lot and given a lot I must admit, but certainly not a team player, throwing a bat at your team mate is just beyond rude and for the incident itself he dont deserve to play cricket at all in my opinion.

BANFAN
April 3, 2008, 01:59 AM
Man, they are players not saints, priests or mullahs. and if tallented people are handled by goons, it happens like this. What a big mistake he has done by criticizing PCB, everyone knows how competent they are. Proven Talents need previleges, can't be treated like a mediocre new comer. It's not only money, they need respect as well. I would like to have 4 shoaib akhtar in my team, instead of 4 obedient mediocres. He has been mishandled and that's clear.

We all know what shane warne has done throughout his career, that includes crimes like being involved with bookies and how CA has managed him.

I Guess, we havn't yet seen the last of Shoaib Akhtar

Tintin
April 3, 2008, 06:44 AM
Akhtar is banned from IPL as well.

If ever he writes his autobiography, it would be a very interesting book.

BANFAN
April 3, 2008, 07:14 AM

And PCB claims 20 Cr. Rs compensation for all his statements against PCB after the Ban. Things are getting worse, lets see it it goes to a happy ending or tragic.

You are right, it will be interesting and best seller possibly.

thebest
April 3, 2008, 07:33 AM
Man, they are players not saints, priests or mullahs. and if tallented people are handled by goons, it happens like this. What a big mistake he has done by criticizing PCB, everyone knows how competent they are. Proven Talents need previleges, can't be treated like a mediocre new comer. It's not only money, they need respect as well. I would like to have 4 shoaib akhtar in my team, instead of 4 obedient mediocres. He has been mishandled and that's clear.

We all know what shane warne has done throughout his career, that includes crimes like being involved with bookies and how CA has managed him.

Could not agree with you more. A team of 4 Shoiab Akter is much better than 11 Shoaib Malik

Tintin
April 3, 2008, 08:21 AM
And PCB claims 20 Cr. Rs compensation for all his statements against PCB after the Ban.

PCB can't make any money hosting matches, so they want Akhtar to serve as the alternate source of income :)

BANFAN
April 3, 2008, 12:47 PM
:-d:-d:-d

Yameen
April 3, 2008, 01:11 PM

No where have I mentioned they are saints, priests, mullahs or whatever? Im just emphasizing the fact there should be no room given for ungentlemanly behaviour and bullies, and Akhtar is the worst possible role model with his temper as he got into many aggressive arguments with most of his team mates and made them feel very uncomfortable! When the incident with Akhtar hitting Asif with the bat happened, the PCB should have acted in a much more harsher ban there and then, and I applaud them for getting rid of this bully now finally.
His actions he showed against Asif is no way related to the mis-handling of goons. I hope never to see him again playing cricket as he is a bad representative of such a great sport.

Oh n having 4 Shoaib Akhtars in a team would mean World War 3 in the Pakistani camp..

Tigers_eye
April 3, 2008, 01:18 PM
Could not agree with you more. A team of 4 Shoiab Akter is much better than 11 Shoaib Malik
Trust me, a team with 1 Shoaib Akhter will always be in the news for all the wrong reasons. I can't imagine how a team of 4 will be in the same playing field.

Surfer
April 3, 2008, 01:58 PM

If he ever writes one, it will all fiction.....pure fabrication.

Surfer
April 3, 2008, 02:01 PM
In an attempt to show his patriotism, he said Indians had offered him money for match fixing, which he refused. Can this guy ever learn when how to keep that mouth shut?

Now, he has been banned by IPL as well. Good on him. He spends half his life in India attending BOllywood parties and signing contracts and yet does not hesitate a bit before badmouthing.

BANFAN
April 3, 2008, 03:00 PM
No where have I mentioned they are saints, priests, mullahs or whatever? Im just emphasizing the fact there should be no room given for ungentlemanly behaviour and bullies, and Akhtar is the worst possible role model with his temper as he got into many aggressive arguments with most of his team mates and made them feel very uncomfortable!

I didn't say that you mentioned it, but you were definitely emphasising. When was the Pak dressing room so comfortable that you are calling for punitive actions for a silly dressing room incident. Imran-Sarfaraz, Imran-Miandad, Akram-Yunis, and many more can be quoted who were always in enemity causing damage to the team they were not banned. Wasim was caught for ball tampering, doping, Match fixing alegations etc etc was he a good role model? Imrans womenising stories were for real, women queing in his hotel room was comfortable for the team ! and even people here and there claims to be his sons, good as role model isn't it? You need more role models from Pak dressing room? Almost everyone is a role model by your definition

I hope never to see him again playing cricket as he is a bad representative of such a great sport.

That's your opinion, you can expect and for me it does not matter much if he is playing or not playing for pak, I care less, but I don't see him doing something to reduce the greatness of the game as compared to many others. Many more things have and are happening which are worse than what he did. Yes he did a crime of pointing out the weakness of PCB, and if they were competent they would have faced it with grace. Their reaction says it all

Surfer
April 3, 2008, 03:55 PM
Okay, now he has been sued for Rs. 100 million by Naseem Ashraf and another 100 million by PCB for defamatory comments. Shoaib apparently said in an interview that Ashraf asked for a share in his IPL income. He refused and hence got banned.

akabir77
April 3, 2008, 05:00 PM
Okay, now he has been sued for Rs. 100 million by Naseem Ashraf and another 100 million by PCB for defamatory comments. Shoaib apparently said in an interview that Ashraf asked for a share in his IPL income. He refused and hence got banned.

I also want to sue him cause of his drama i had to read tons of articles and losing my eye sight...

Yameen
April 3, 2008, 05:49 PM
I didn't say that you mentioned it, but you were definitely emphasising. When was the Pak dressing room so comfortable that you are calling for punitive actions for a silly dressing room incident. Imran-Sarfaraz, Imran-Miandad, Akram-Yunis, and many more can be quoted who were always in enemity causing damage to the team they were not banned. Wasim was caught for ball tampering, doping, Match fixing alegations etc etc was he a good role model? Imrans womenising stories were for real, women queing in his hotel room was comfortable for the team ! and even people here and there claims to be his sons, good as role model isn't it? You need more role models from Pak dressing room? Almost everyone is a role model by your definition

The only thing i am emphasising out of all of this, is the rather long list of disruptive behaviour shown by Akhtar and where the PCB have failed to act upon with the correct punishment in the past, one could say he had it coming even though most of us can agree that the 5 year ban was certainly not from his recent comments about the PCB etc. Yes some members of the Pakistan cricket team (past and present) has had a history of various forms of immorals but I am mainly concentrating on the deeds of Akhtar. He was simply a bully to his team mates as if everything revolved around him, yes Imran made his mistakes in his personal life but atleast he showed faith in his team, he raised the morale in all departments of the game and made sure every team member was a crucial piece of the jigsaw puzzle in formulating a success. Talking about 'role models', I've made clear that Akhter is certainly not one, n I think we all have to set an example from whatever society we represent in order for it to progress. Keeping Shoaib in the cricketing eye, would not only add further damage to his image but also to the game of cricket; pumping steroids, going around beating people with cricket bats, ball temparing, aggresive behaviour towards team mates etc is definetly not a good account of setting a good example. Im sure many rules have been broken by other players but we are concentrating on Shoaib as he is centre of attention with this recent ban.

That's your opinion, you can expect and for me it does not matter much if he is playing or not playing for pak, I care less, but I don't see him doing something to reduce the greatness of the game as compared to many others. Many more things have and are happening which are worse than what he did. Yes he did a crime of pointing out the weakness of PCB, and if they were competent they would have faced it with grace. Their reaction says it all

I can assure you, and ive said it lots of times, violent aggresive behaviour of such nature he has dished out over the years will be picked up upon by younger audience who admire his bowling and will influence them in some way. Bullying is something still encountered today in many schools and clubs, with his bullishness n actions of physical abuse being a so called 'superstar', it aint contributing too well into erradicating the problem of bullying. With regards to the reactions of the PCB, as I have said, it is something PCB have been waiting to do for a long time and should have handed out the 5 year ban a long time ago to Shoaib, with the recent incident you could say being the last straw.

BANFAN
April 4, 2008, 06:57 AM
Even if a million people tries to become shoaib (I dodn't think he is idolized to that extent though) it doesn't harm as much. People have their own understanding of benefits, as they grow.

What did shoaib do so serious in public? Who publicised a dressing room incident? Is it not happening elsewhere? It happened in BD dressing room as well. Where there are people, conflicts will be there and that must be resolved properly. If that is your recommendation, why didn't you ask for 5 years ban on Rafiq? This is a clear case of PCB's continued mafiaism. I am more scared of that than one indisciplined player.

If such Mafiaism of PCB is repeatedly succesful, some day that will inspire other boards like BCB for ex, We have all the potentials to do that, we will have an abortion of a child in BD, called cricket. One indisciplined player doesn't have such serious impact.

thebest
April 4, 2008, 01:00 PM
BANFAN
About the role model well said. I would just extend further. McGrath, Sarwan, Botham, Chappel brothers, Marsh, Lillee, Gibbs, Fleming, Lara,Warne, Ponting, M Waugh none can be role model. Even our own Ash-the fool can not be role model. Remember Jalal case.
I am unashamed of being a Shoiab fan. I agree he was very leniently dealt during drg and Asif episode. But as in pakpassion one rightly pointed out he was saved from drug issue to save Asif; I would have been the first one to support PCB if PCB banned him for beating a fellow player. But he is not the first one. Remember our own Rafiq did it. But this is harsh and PCB has proved they have double standard. For the same offence Kaneria was just warned. some might point out he was in suspended sentence. But if that was the case why suspended sentence was not revoked and he to carry the sentence i think that was 13 match ban not a life sentence

Yameen
April 4, 2008, 02:12 PM
Even if a million people tries to become shoaib (I dodn't think he is idolized to that extent though) it doesn't harm as much. People have their own understanding of benefits, as they grow.

What did shoaib do so serious in public? Who publicised a dressing room incident? Is it not happening elsewhere? It happened in BD dressing room as well. Where there are people, conflicts will be there and that must be resolved properly. If that is your recommendation, why didn't you ask for 5 years ban on Rafiq? This is a clear case of PCB's continued mafiaism. I am more scared of that than one indisciplined player.

If such Mafiaism of PCB is repeatedly succesful, some day that will inspire other boards like BCB for ex, We have all the potentials to do that, we will have an abortion of a child in BD, called cricket. One indisciplined player doesn't have such serious impact.

Il have you know shoaib has many followers, especially youngsters who enjoy bowling fast and want to make it big like him. Ofcourse some will spot violently agressive physical abuse as being immoral as part of upbringing, but what about his use of drugs and steroids to enhance performance, dont try and convince me that some young budding fast bowlers will stay away from that as it is happening all the time.

You keep seem to be mentioning other players of there mis-deeds, but it has got absolutly nothing to do with what is going on atm with Shoaib. We are talking about SHOAIB AKHTAR, yes crimes were commited by other players but I seem to be getting the impression from you as if, if someone commits a wrong doing, its ok for someone else to do it. The fact of the matter is Shoaib is a bad asset to the game, was a total monster to his teammates and simply a bad sport. There have been players who have given a bad account of themselves in the past and a bad image potrayed on their behalf, but we are not discussing them Im afraid. Occupying yourself at the highest level of cricket where everyone is watching, you have to try and set a good example to the young audience especially who may also have dreams and aspirations to become sportstars in the future.. shoaib messed up big time.

Il admit, the PCB of its recent rulings have been unjustly and perhaps will escalate into a bigger problems into the future. I still believe however the ban on Shoiab was an overall reaction of his disruptive behaviour over the last few years.

Zoey007
April 6, 2008, 09:54 AM
ARGHHH PCB sucks...itz the worst board ever!!!!
I hope we'll be able to see Shoaib in action soon.

thebest
April 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
As I was suspecting Dr. Nasim vindictiveness is spoiling the career of shoaib. See the link (http://www.thepost.com.pk/Arc_Sports.aspx?catid=5&fcatid=14&bcatid=14&date=4/4/2008)