PDA

View Full Version : What's the best ball you've ever bowled?

Ishtylish cricketer
April 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
Inspired by Oneworld's question/request I want to ask the BC members to describe the best ball(s) you guys have ever bowled. Your description can be dramatic so long as there's some truth to it. I mean can't lie about getting the batsman out part.

Dhruvo
April 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
i was known as a legspinner until i last visited bd when i came to bd i saw that my legspin didnt work so i switched to pace,to be honest i bowled pretty well as a pacer,my last game i got 2 wickets in a row getting a 15 year old and another 12 year old,and my best delivery just came form that match both of the 2 deliveries i bowled were yorkers and so yorker is my best delivery i ever bolwed

Nafis_BD
April 1, 2008, 10:36 PM
I have a couple of deliveries that are arguably my best delivery but one of my most memorable one was when I bowled Rupom bhaiya with an inswinger and Riyadh bhaiya with an Off Cutter or something like that. I just can't chose them like this.

al-Sagar
April 2, 2008, 10:14 AM
it was during my notre dame collge days.

i was a mdium pacer. we were playng against another group.

in the previous ball i got a wicket. so a new batsman on the crease. he was one of thier best batter. that ball i gave some more effort so it was two-3 yards faster than my normal pace. he blocked it.

next ball i bowled at my normal pace and there no change in my action. the batsman again played the same shot but as he was expecting the same pace it actually became a slower ball to him and he looped a catch.

he said after the match it was a good slower ball. but actaully it was my normal ball. but it seemed sloer to him as the previous was my faster ball.

Nafi
April 2, 2008, 10:32 AM
Best deliveries

Outswinger with good pace. just pitched on a good length outside off-stump, moved off the seam to the offside a little, and the batsman all beaten, nicked it on the splice of the bat to the keeper.

Another i remember was an inswinging yorker tha wast lightning fast, the batsman was just beaten for pace, didnt even have time to move his bat, just sort of shooked a little as his stumps went cartwheeling! MUAHAHAHA

al Furqaan
April 2, 2008, 10:58 AM
straight and quick yorker to my friend during 1 on 1 practice sessions on a grassy field. up to that point, i had perhaps gotten him "out" 2 times and bowled several hundred deliveries (of medium pace and off breaks). so i had a really poor strike rate (and if it was a real game my average woulda been sky high).

the weather was hot, but i had about a 30 yard run up...i was completely in rhythm, and i was bowling at my top pace (maybe 75 mph, just a guess) over after over without tiring. i bowled a pre-meditated yorker which took the inside edge and crash into the stumps. my friend was impressed with that ball and the pace of it as well.

all of this made me realize a few things:

1) how important conditions are in cricket, especially to a fast bowler. having bowled in subcontinent like hot, humid conditions and england like cold ones...i can say that different conditions are tough. one might think, that in cool weather you'll have increased stamina, but no. if you're conditioned for hot weather, you will thrive there. i struggled to bowl even 75% of my pace in the cold weather and had to eventually cut my run up in half, cuz i was out of breath.

2) the importance of rhythm. when we say mash is a rhythm bowler, i really understood how he easily clocked 90 mph against india in the world cup. when on song, i had a long run up, and was hitting my top pace with no effort. but just change the run up, even by a yard, and i was struggling with pace, line and length.

3) its hard to bowl variations as a spin bowler.

Tigers_eye
April 2, 2008, 11:48 AM
i do it all the time.

The ball starts towards right with an inward spin with some pace, then the spin picks up and starts curling towards left hits right between one and three. Strike!! Buuu yiaaa!!

Mean while I am still balancing on my right leg and toe almost touching the starting line, left leg backwards high up on the air.

Mohiul
April 2, 2008, 02:26 PM
i do it all the time.

The ball starts towards right with an inward spin with some pace, then the spin picks up and starts curling towards left hits right between one and three. Strike!! Buuu yiaaa!!

Mean while I am still balancing on my right leg and toe almost touching the starting line, left leg backwards high up on the air.

you must be joking

Gowza
April 2, 2008, 04:22 PM
don't remember any specific ball but my best figures were 5/0, i got some late swing on quite a few of the balls i bowled that day. i think we ended up getting the team out for 20 odd in 10-15 overs. actually some guy from a rival school topped it either the same week or the week after with a 6/0.

Tigers_eye
April 2, 2008, 04:48 PM
you must be joking
No sir!! That's how you bowl. Go to any professional or watch any video.

Yameen
April 2, 2008, 05:19 PM
Im a pacer and one of the best balls I ever bowled didnt actually get the batsman out, but I attempted and outswinger to a right handed batsman who had a very good technique, so I bowled it at a good-fullish length on middle stump and the ball viscious swang away skimming the varnish of the off stump leaving the batsmans footwork no where and with a bermused look on his face.

Another ball Im mainly successful with is the general inswinging delivery cutting back in the last second often getting the edge or bowling them between bat and pads.

Shehwar
April 2, 2008, 06:22 PM
This incident Im talking about was a long time back...and I still remember it....We were barely 14-15 year olds...It was the second last over of the match (Played at Kochukhet Play Ground, Dhaka Cantonment)...I was a so-so leg-spinner who could turn it a lot at times but had not much control on line or length!..I was mainly a mediocre batsman but being the captain of my side I took the gamle to bowl the second last over...The opposition needed 18 runs of the last 2 overs with 2 wickets in hand....Abir (Shahriar Nafees) had been clobbering us to all different parts of the ground and I think he was not out on 82 then and was on strike...I came into bowl and he greeted me by pulling my short pitched ball effortlessly to the boundary..After I had bowled four balls it read like this: 4 4 4 4

So now they needed 2 runs of 8 balls to win....the 5th ball Abir responded to a call for a single but his partner(Abrar) was brilliantly run out by a direct throw by Raatul...I remember Abir was furious!...because all on a sudden there was a situation where they still needed 2 runs of of 7 balls but Abir was at the non-striker's end on 98 not out!...And the last batsman had to survive this one ball!.....Just one ball to survive and they would surely knock off those 2 runs and Abir would get his hundred since he would be on strike in the final over...I remember having to wait for a long time...as Abir had this really long discussion on how to just block that ball....I have no idea what he had told the poor number 11 but it seemed like ages....So here goes....Me the erratic occasional leg spinner coming into bowl knowing if I dont get this guy out on this ball then the match is surely gone....I bowl a beauty! A sort of delivery I will probably never ever bowl in my life again...given the situation of the match....It pitches on leg stump..the number eleven tries to play a perfect forward defensive...It turns viciously and takes the off-stuump!!!!!!!.....We just won the match by 1 run with Abir stranded on 98 not out at the other end!!!!.....I gave 16 runs of my only over but I seem to be the hero!....It was so amazing....One my fondest memories...Looking back at it...It was probably the direct throw from Raatul that got us the match....Such sweet memories!....I feel so proud every time Abir walks on to that pitch to represent our country.....Go ahead mate...Do us proud!

Ishtylish cricketer
April 2, 2008, 08:12 PM
This incident Im talking about was a long time back...and I still remember it....We were barely 14-15 year olds...It was the second last over of the match (Played at Kochukhet Play Ground, Dhaka Cantonment)...I was a so-so leg-spinner who could turn it a lot at times but had not much control on line or length!..I was mainly a mediocre batsman but being the captain of my side I took the gamle to bowl the second last over...The opposition needed 18 runs of the last 2 overs with 2 wickets in hand....Abir (Shahriar Nafees) had been clobbering us to all different parts of the ground and I think he was not out on 82 then and was on strike...I came into bowl and he greeted me by pulling my short pitched ball effortlessly to the boundary..After I had bowled four balls it read like this: 4 4 4 4

So now they needed 2 runs of 8 balls to win....the 5th ball Abir responded to a call for a single but his partner(Abrar) was brilliantly run out by a direct throw by Raatul...I remember Abir was furious!...because all on a sudden there was a situation where they still needed 2 runs of of 7 balls but Abir was at the non-striker's end on 98 not out!...And the last batsman had to survive this one ball!.....Just one ball to survive and they would surely knock off those 2 runs and Abir would get his hundred since he would be on strike in the final over...I remember having to wait for a long time...as Abir had this really long discussion on how to just block that ball....I have no idea what he had told the poor number 11 but it seemed like ages....So here goes....Me the erratic occasional leg spinner coming into bowl knowing if I dont get this guy out on this ball then the match is surely gone....I bowl a beauty! A sort of delivery I will probably never ever bowl in my life again...given the situation of the match....It pitches on leg stump..the number eleven tries to play a perfect forward defensive...It turns viciously and takes the off-stuump!!!!!!!.....We just won the match by 1 run with Abir stranded on 98 not out at the other end!!!!.....I gave 16 runs of my only over but I seem to be the hero!....It was so amazing....One my fondest memories...Looking back at it...It was probably the direct throw from Raatul that got us the match....Such sweet memories!....I feel so proud every time Abir walks on to that pitch to represent our country.....Go ahead mate...Do us proud!

Nice. I think you're being modest here mate. If you bowl a beauty take credit for it. I remember the best bowl I bowled was an off break full drifted wide to about 6th stump to a righty lower middle order player who was trying to force me through coverpoint (I had previously fired 2 in at the stumps and the guy defended) for a four because I didn't have a sweeper got bowled through the gates hitting the top of leg. They say spinners get confidence from maidens, that guy could have attested to that.

Slater582
May 13, 2008, 02:20 PM
Best ball I ever bowled in a match was for my U11 Town team. I bowled medium fast with a hint of inswing generally - but I switched to an outswinger, pitched it on a very good length and the batter drove at it...missed it...and it just missed the off stump...the umpire complimented me on it.

Best ball I ever bowled was in the nets, leg break which pitched a bit outside leg & turned to strike middle & off. I was only bowling spin because the coach in charge said I was too fast to bowl to the young kid. My friend Andrew asked me how I gripped the ball & I said just like when I bowl seam, two fingers split by the seam. He showed me how he gripped the ball (with 4 fingers like a conventional leg break bowler) & I was a bit suprised, I changed back to seam for matches but I often wonder whether I had a talent with leg spin.

James90
May 16, 2008, 10:45 PM
Other than the occasional Gatting ball in the backyard it'd be the quicker balls I've bowled in competitive matches. A personal favourite was digging in a short ball that struck the batsman on the shoulder and then yorking him the next ball.

These days I play in higher standard competitions against people normally twice my age so I'd probably be considered just an average medium pacer. That's why I prefer to wicketkeep.

Baundule
May 17, 2008, 01:32 AM
So many good bowlers in BC and still BD depends on Mash (mf), Shahadat(mf) and Rasel (m). At the moment we dont even have a fm bowler. Many BC members, as described in this thread, can bowl outswinger, inswinging yorkers, still our Mash gives away 17 runs in an over to Zimbabwe to lose the match.:confused:

I myself, as I believe, is also a good bowler. Usually can bowl 6 yorkers in an over; but sometimes lose control over line. Being a good batsman does also help in great extent. If I am getting a treatment during my bowling, i know I can return the same during my batting. ;) Besides this, I enjoy my fielding the most, though it'll be tough to maintain that. These days, I earn some extra kilos, even though eating no meat.

Rifat
May 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
a 90 kmp yorker.... twice in a row!

problem is that the pitch wasn't longer than 12 yards so the 90 kmp looked more like 145 kmp because the pitch was very short. baaah , i am just bragging about my past!that was about 10 years ago in my backyard in nakhal para, dhaka!

now i do legspin and i am happy!

Bengaliprince176
May 19, 2008, 01:06 PM
YORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i remember one match, we had to get 4 wickets in last over, with 20 runs to win, otherwise it would be called a draw. I was given the responsibility in a school game. First ball, was the perfect leg stump yorker i could have imagined, lbw going on to hit leg stump but deflected off pad on to off stump! unfortunately i could only get one more wicket, on the last ball when it was safe for them :(

Zeeshan
June 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
underhand ball....

mijanur
June 16, 2008, 11:31 AM
i the best bowled is when i was playing cricket in bd and we were just playing and i did a bouncer it hit the guy in his arm and he knocked over the stump