PDA

View Full Version : Shoaib in new kind of trouble (Possible 5 year ban)

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2008, 11:42 AM
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/345004.html
ICC wants anti-corruption unit to talk to Shoaib
Cricinfo staff
April 4, 2008
The ICC has said it would like its anti-corruption officers to talk to Shaoib Akhtar regarding his claims that he was offered money to underperform in matches in India and South Africa.
"We are aware of his comments and let me reiterate the ICC has a zero-tolerance approach to corruption in sports," an ICC spokesman told Reuters.
On Thursday Shoaib had told a Pakistan news channel that he had rejected many offers to underperform. "It happened in Johannesburg and India but I never accepted them as I can't betray my country," Shoaib said in an interview to Geo TV. "And what do I get in return - a five-year ban the example of which you don't get anywhere in the cricket world. Even players who were fined and found involved in match-fixing issues didn't get such bans."
Talat Ali, the Pakistan team manager, said he hadn't heard of any such offers to Shoaib. "He didn't report anything to me. This is the first I have heard about it."

The ICC Code of Conduct states that players are required to report any approach made to them by a bookmaker or any other corrupt approach to their captain, team manager, a senior board official or to the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit. Failing to do so could lead to ban of up to five years.

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2008, 11:44 AM
Big mouth. the more he opens his mouth the more trouble he gets in to. Tarnishes his country, people, board more.

Nafis_BD
April 4, 2008, 11:47 AM
Plus he is kicked out from his IPL team which is the Kolkata Knight Riders. 5 years ban.... thats a lot. Wonder what he will do and what will happen to his career. Well he is to be blamed for his career actually. He himself is ruining his career and getting into all this mess.

Sovik
April 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
ICL will take him

Surfer
April 4, 2008, 03:09 PM
All this time he was digging grave and is now burying his career with his own hands....all the while screaming that others are doing it.

Mohiul
April 4, 2008, 03:13 PM
if shoib's claim is true then pak board gonna be in trouble

Surfer
April 4, 2008, 03:25 PM
if shoib's claim is true then pak board gonna be in trouble

No, its only Shoaib who is in trouble now. I think the story is fabricated.

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
No, its only Shoaib who is in trouble now. I think the story is fabricated.
For shoaib's sake I hope it fabricated. If not, ICC is no PCB. Once they ban for 5 years they won't cut short it to 2/3 months.

Shoaib can only choose from the two thing that is on the table.

1) Liar
2) Protector of the bookmakers. (For not turning them in when he was approached)

Either way both are career threatening accusations.

akabir77
April 4, 2008, 03:39 PM
For shoaib's sake I hope it fabricated. If not, ICC is no PCB. Once they ban for 5 years they won't cut short it to 2/3 months.

R u sure? look what happen to Hair.

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2008, 03:48 PM
R u sure? look what happen to Hair.
With Bucknor almost retiring they are in need of umpires. Tuffy's threat that he may quit and join IPL :) is real. They are even comtemplating in bringing back Ashoka the BD killer. As for Shoaib, they had stood long behind him not any more.

mijanur
April 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
yeh i will miss him