PDA

View Full Version : Ajantha Mendis

Go_Bangladesh
April 14, 2008, 04:13 PM
really good spin bowler, has too many variations and watching his performance against WI, I was thinking what he could do against us, really scary player and another find for Sri Lanka, I wish we had a player like him now, he would be the missing piece......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HpVzhDXzmY

Sovik
April 14, 2008, 04:48 PM
<table class="engineTable"><caption>Bowling averages</caption> <thead> <tr class="head"> <th title="class name" class="left" nowrap="nowrap">
</th> <th title="matches played" nowrap="nowrap">Mat</th> <th title="innings bowled in" nowrap="nowrap">Inns</th> <th title="balls bowled" nowrap="nowrap">Balls</th> <th title="runs conceded" nowrap="nowrap">Runs</th> <th title="wickets taken" nowrap="nowrap">Wkts</th> <th title="best innings bowling" nowrap="nowrap">BBI</th> <th title="best match bowling" nowrap="nowrap">BBM</th> <th title="bowling average" nowrap="nowrap">Ave</th> <th title="economy rate" nowrap="nowrap">Econ</th> <th title="bowling strike rate" nowrap="nowrap">SR</th> <th title="four wkts in an inns" nowrap="nowrap">4w</th> <th title="five wkts in an inns" nowrap="nowrap">5w</th> <th title="ten wkts in a match" nowrap="nowrap">10</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">ODIs</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">2</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">2</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">84</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">60</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3/39</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3/39</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">20.00</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">4.28</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">28.0</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">First-class</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">19</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">35</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3654</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">1615</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">111</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">7/37</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">10/74</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">14.54</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">2.65</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">32.9</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">10</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">7</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">1</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">List A</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">21</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">19</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">878</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">484</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">40</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">4/14</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">4/14</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">12.10</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3.30</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">21.9</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">2</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td> </tr> <tr class="data1"> <td class="left" nowrap="nowrap">Twenty20</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">42</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">33</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">3</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">2/15</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">2/15</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">11.00</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">4.71</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">14.0</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">0</td></tr></tbody></table>

Murad
April 14, 2008, 04:53 PM
He's a slow medium bowler. Big brother of spin :-D

He bowls 6 different deliveries in an over. Leg break, off spin, flippers, topspinners, googlies.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wivsl/content/player/268739.html

Nafis_BD
April 14, 2008, 04:54 PM
Wasim Akram of spin?

Ishtylish cricketer
April 14, 2008, 04:58 PM
Murali II according to cricinfo. His got about 6 deliveries the WI commentators were saying. Off break bowler who has googly, flipper, doosra, etc.

Yameen
April 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
Is there any particular name given to this type of bowler? According to the Sky sports coverage, he is a 'Right arm mystery spinner'..

Sohel
April 15, 2008, 01:44 AM
I was impressed.

Aritro
April 15, 2008, 05:49 AM
That's one of the most fantastic things I've ever seen.

His problem is that with his very obvious changes in grip and delivery, he telegraphs what he's about to bowl leaving the batsman plenty of time to adjust. Eventually, batsmen will find a way to deal with him.

But that said, it must take some serious concentration to face a bowler who can send down six completely different deliveries in every over. If he can find a way to be a bit more subtle, he's going to go on to take several hundred wickets...

Nafi
April 15, 2008, 06:56 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/89400/89407.jpg

Oh my word he even knows the vulcan grip, this is the slower ball that fast bowlers some times, by replacing the conventional seam position, holding the ball with the ring finger instead of the index finger.

Not only is there an unnoticeable change of pace, the ball does something very strange in flight, it sort of starts wobbling in mid flight and suddenly drops with gentle swing.

Seriously this is a killer of a delivery

BANFAN
April 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
Another Murali in the Making. They have brought him in at the right time, while Murali is still around.

Dhurr
April 17, 2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/89400/89407.jpg

Oh my word he even knows the vulcan grip, this is the slower ball that fast bowlers some times, by replacing the conventional seam position, holding the ball with the ring finger instead of the index finger.

Not only is there an unnoticeable change of pace, the ball does something very strange in flight, it sort of starts wobbling in mid flight and suddenly drops with gentle swing.

Seriously this is a killer of a delivery

We are lucky he is not playing against us right now. He would have taken all ten wickets in an innings. No other team does as good a job as Bangladesh as making superstars out of rising/marginal players.

al-Sagar
April 19, 2008, 03:43 AM
So far i have seen him bowling
1. Traditinal offspin
2. DOOSRA-The way saqlain, harBhajan, muraLi bowls
It
3. Traditional Leg spin
4. Googly - the way abdul qadir, mushtaq Ahmed bowled it
5. A fast straight delivery, not sure whether its a off spiners arm ball or leg spiners flipper
Certainly a mystery bowler

Yasin
April 20, 2008, 03:46 AM
The MaMuMe (Malinga-Murali-Mendis) combination of Lanka will be worth watching. Weird bowling actions at its very best.

jeesh
April 28, 2008, 01:36 AM
Touted the next Murali. Exciting prospect here in Sri Lanka. Kalpage who is in charge of our Academy is said to have spent quite a bit of time with Mendis.

Tigers_eye
July 7, 2008, 09:21 AM
He deserves his own thead.

1. Flat Karachi track.
2. Bully Indian batting line (best in the world, that is what they {fan and media} say, especially against Spin)
3. In Powerplay (10th over to be exact).
4. Defending a total that is at best easy target.
5. Shewag on fire.
6. 76/1 on board in 9 overs already, Runrate 8.44 and Required RR 4.8 lol.
7. India in total control of the match and SL is almost at the brink of losing the finals.

Statement: Carrom balling 6-13 in 8 overs with a Maiden.

Game, set and match.

MohammedC
July 7, 2008, 09:25 AM
this guy is a magician

Tintin
July 7, 2008, 09:26 AM
2. Bully Indian batting line (best in the world, that is what they {fan and media} say, especially against Spin)The main fault was that they tried too hard to bully instead of playing normal cricket. Yuvraj and co are good enough on flat wickets against normal bowling, but when the going gets tough we need SRT and the other oldies.

MohammedC
July 7, 2008, 09:40 AM
According FTP Srilanka touring Bangladesh at the end of the year. :( This will be an M&M show.

AsifTheManRahman
July 7, 2008, 09:46 AM
So now they have two guys who can spin it on glass.

If Ajantha keeps this up, Muttiah might as well retire, because the spin department will be in good hands. If he doesn't, we might as well forget playing Sri Lanka in the next ten years.

Tintin
July 7, 2008, 10:01 AM
In his two matches against BD in the Asia Cup, he had 10-1-34-0 and 7.3-0-29-2. Why are you guys intent on rating him on the basis of his batting against India and not against Bangladesh ? :)

Tigers_eye
July 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
In his two matches against BD in the Asia Cup, he had 10-1-34-0 and 7.3-0-29-2. Why are you guys intent on rating him on the basis of his batting against India and not against Bangladesh ? :)
He is just too good to be contained by the BD suicide batting lineup. Sooner or later he will have his five wicket haul against the pennerial stat-inflating punching bag.

AsifTheManRahman
July 7, 2008, 11:57 AM
The best thing about him is his military_medium_pacer action. Apart from the quick arm, he can bowl the off break, the googly and even the doosra with identical actions, which makes it extremely difficult for the batsman to predict which one's coming at him at any given time.

For a change, Dhoni did have a good excuse for looking technically miserable yesterday.

SS
July 7, 2008, 02:31 PM
Why didn't he born in BD?

al Furqaan
July 7, 2008, 03:10 PM
i like this guy...i hate murali, but i'm a fan of medis.

sadi
July 7, 2008, 03:30 PM
They never do.

BD-Shardul
July 8, 2008, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by SS

Jamie Alter interviewd former PAK spinner Saqlain Mustaq and this is what Saqlain said:

"You don't just become a spinner, you have to be made into one. You need to be coached and groomed."

That was a very good article. Ash and BD bolwers can learn many things from him, especially on how to use their head on reading the mind of the batsmen. Here are some of the tricks of Saqlain Mustaq:

"If a batsman is playing straight, not cutting or playing much to the off side, or is playing more off his legs, then I bowl where he's uncomfortable, making him play. Often to the non-Asian batsmen, who I feel are susceptible, I used to bowl the doosra first to give them a jhatka [shock]. The Asian players - Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans - their footwork is better and they have a better understanding of how to play spin, using their wrists, so I had to be more observant and not try too much too soon."

About Innovative Shots:

And what of these new innovative shots - the switch-hit, the reverse sweep, the paddle-scoop? "They are encouraging. If it works, it looks good, but if it doesn't, I'm going to get a wicket," he says with a smile. "You really have to look at the margin of your line and length, and make sure you don't give them much width to play these fancy shots. That's what bowling - more so spin - is all about in Twenty20 cricket: line and length."

About his field settings:

"Offspinners rely on drift into the batsman and get more chances on the leg side. There are changes in the game now that require you to change your field placing," he says. "For example, if a batsman is reverse-sweeping, I remove midwicket from the circle and place him at short fine leg for the top edge. If he's sweeping for singles repeatedly, I may push a man back to encourage the second, and then slip in a quicker one for a stumping, a caught-and-bowled... I don't want to give away my tricks!

"But I most always keep a deep midwicket because batsmen fancy playing with the turn. If someone's not looking to work the ball to the on side, I'll then drop the midwicket and use the man somewhere else."

Tigers_eye
July 8, 2008, 02:46 PM
At the age of 31, Pakistan ignores the experienced match winner (Saqi), and keeps trying Afridi and Fawad (alrounders) who can't bat nor can they bowl.

Rabz
July 26, 2008, 07:36 AM
Looks like he surely lived up to his expectation.
8 wickets in debut match!
What a bowler SL has got.
With Murali coming to the an end of his career within the next few years, Sri Lanka has got a jem of a find who can carry the Flag of SL spin.

AsifTheManRahman
July 26, 2008, 07:40 AM
With Murali coming to the an end of his career within the next few years, Sri Lanka has got a jem of a find who can carry the Flag of SL spin.But until then, everyone will have to feel the wrath of the M&M pair. Especially us.

BANFAN
July 26, 2008, 08:41 AM

Then he would have become Enamul, not Mendiz :)

Tehsin
July 26, 2008, 09:38 AM
I had some doubt about Mendis in Test matches plus I figured all that talk from the Indian camp about figuring him out would amount to something (should have known better). What an amazing find for SL and the TIMING is amazing. This is where BD misses out. Mendis came in with Murali thiking about retiring in a few years. With Murali as his mentor, Mendis will turn out to be a better spinner in a couple of years. With BD, the newbies come in as a number one choice for the team, with no one to guide them and work out their weaknesses. The only thing we can do is try to get our new players into first 9or top) class teams in India, UK, Pak, Aus, etc so they can learn from the experienced players from those leagues.

Rifat
July 26, 2008, 10:07 AM
At the age of 31, Pakistan ignores the experienced match winner (Saqi), and keeps trying Afridi and Fawad (alrounders) who can't bat nor can they bowl.

to tell you the truth, lot of bhua politics are involved in Pakistan.. supposedly,he played for unsactioned ICL...

thus their occasional downfall.

Rabz
July 26, 2008, 10:11 AM
Then he would have become Enamul, not Mendiz :)

:-D:-D
Good one, Banfan.

BD-Shardul
August 9, 2008, 11:42 AM
Before all the test playing nations decode Mendis, he will have 200 wickets in his bag I guess.

Sovik
August 11, 2008, 02:53 PM
mendis got 26 wickets in 3 matches while murali was bowling from the other end

ahaque
August 13, 2008, 05:21 PM
i want to see how he does in a non-subcontinent pitch. we saw a little bit of him in the west indies but I would like to see how he does in south africa, australia or even england for that matter.

sbsash
August 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
I tried to do one of Mendis's balls but I can't get the ball to turn much plus it hurts my hand.

bangla-red
August 26, 2008, 07:27 AM
Before all the test playing nations decode Mendis, he will have 200 wickets in his bag I guess.

Before the top 8 decode Mendis, he'll have 200 wickets. Before Bangladesh decode him, hard to say. I mean Murali's got nearly 750 wickets, we still haven't figured him out (to be fair, only Australia know how to dominate Murali on a regular basis).

BANFAN
August 26, 2008, 12:55 PM
I tried to do one of Mendis's balls but I can't get the ball to turn much plus it hurts my hand.

Rome wasn't built in a day. You need some strength building excercise of your fingers, i guess. (Free upodesh - Don't buy, get one free type :))

knocked_up
September 3, 2008, 10:50 AM
So far i have seen him bowling
1. Traditinal offspin
2. DOOSRA-The way saqlain, harBhajan, muraLi bowls
It
3. Traditional Leg spin
4. Googly - the way abdul qadir, mushtaq Ahmed bowled it
5. A fast straight delivery, not sure whether its a off spiners arm ball or leg spiners flipper
Certainly a mystery bowler

Mj said he has 6 diff bowls! [:-D]
and cricinfo say, leg spin and off spin!

Ajantha Mendis is one Ojanta Killer

Bengali Bum
September 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
here's a genius who doesn't chuck
now The Aussies wont' have much to complain about

sbsash
September 3, 2008, 08:19 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day. You need some strength building excercise of your fingers, i guess. (Free upodesh - Don't buy, get one free type :))

I know I need to practice but I don't have any room near my house so I hardly get to practice.

Mohiul
September 20, 2008, 12:14 AM
"Step out to his googly"
Gautam Gambhir, India batsman

"Find a shot that can get you a single"
Dean Jones, former Australia batsman; commentator

"Play him like a seamer"
VV Kumar, former India and Tamil Nadu legspinner

"Take the extra risk"
Arun Lal, former India opening batsman; commentator

"Make him change his length"
Laxman Sivaramakrishnan, Former India legspinner; commentator

detailed read (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/370204.html)

sbsash
September 20, 2008, 07:51 PM
The MaMuMe (Malinga-Murali-Mendis) combination of Lanka will be worth watching. Weird bowling actions at its very best.

true.Most of the srilankan bowlers are weird.What do you think?

One World
September 21, 2008, 11:21 AM
When we would be able to say that, for our players? Definitely weird, but you would always pick a Murali ove Paul Adams.

sbsash
September 22, 2008, 06:58 PM
we don't need wierd players we just nee good players and thats all we need.

Murad
October 12, 2008, 03:51 PM
What is this guy made of??

In two T20Is, he has already taken 8 wickets..

4 for 15 against Zimb
4 for 17 against Canada.

He is going to break all the records in few years time. I wonder what he will do against our players in the upcoming Test & ODI series. He will get more wickets than Murali got against us.

Tigers_eye
October 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
What is this guy made of??

In two T20Is, he has already taken 8 wickets..

4 for 15 against Zimb
4 for 17 against Canada.

He is going to break all the records in few years time. I wonder what he will do against our players in the upcoming Test & ODI series. He will get more wickets than Murali got against us.
3 for 23 against Pakistan, Butt, Malik and Akmal. By the way bowled the last over. Geez!!! 12 overs 11 wickets!!! Ki khai era?

rishi
October 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
he will get rid of bangladesh innings twice in his 10 alloted overs

thebest
October 19, 2008, 05:05 AM
he will get rid of bangladesh innings twice in his 10 alloted overs
He already proved that againest so called best batting line up of the world.
Bangladesh is the only team he bowled which did not give him a wicket in a match; So he can not take a wicket in one 10 over quota and you think he could take 20 wickets in a 10 over match.
By the way how was your last world cup in West Indies?

rishi
October 20, 2008, 05:35 AM
He already proved that againest so called best batting line up of the world.
Bangladesh is the only team he bowled which did not give him a wicket in a match; So he can not take a wicket in one 10 over quota and you think he could take 20 wickets in a 10 over match.
By the way how was your last world cup in West Indies?

better than most of ur world cups...atleast after havin one bad world cup...we could win 20-20 world cup...but u cant win any...u cant learn from your mistakes....even any of the icl team can be a champion in bangladesh domestic cricket..

Zeeshan
December 26, 2008, 03:43 PM
all credit to our zia vai for finding this website....they write like a Caligula appointed horse on crack...so goood

http://www.theflyslip.net/the-legend-of-splendid-mendis/

Buddhika_s
January 1, 2009, 07:52 PM
all credit to our zia vai for finding this website....they write like a Caligula appointed horse on crack...so goood

http://www.theflyslip.net/the-legend-of-splendid-mendis/

The author, Damith is a Sri Lankan guy who is a friend of me. Writes some hilarious stuff.

AsifTheManRahman
January 1, 2009, 11:39 PM

http://www.theflyslip.net/the-legend-of-splendid-mendis/Crack indeed.

AsifTheManRahman
January 2, 2009, 05:47 AM
Note the use of the middle finger in the doosra in this one. The carom ball that got Sammy out pretty much sailed on to the stumps.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nL9-D-Hp2GI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nL9-D-Hp2GI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He also bowls very straight as the clueless Indians surrender to his divineness:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qq--vwJyHfc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qq--vwJyHfc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Let the analysis begin.

PS: Didn't know they let Atahar comment on non-Bangladeshi matches.

mijanur
January 2, 2009, 09:24 AM
this guy is som next superhero

ahaque
January 13, 2009, 10:21 PM
i want to see how he does on a non subcontinent pitch

Miraz
February 8, 2009, 06:05 AM
Looks like Ajnatha Mendis magic is over, at least in ODIs. He will probably enjoy a honeymoon period of another year in Test cricket and after that he will endure difficult sessions.

I hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Panesar who was once dubbed as the best SLA of current generation.

Shaan
February 8, 2009, 06:17 AM
Looks like Ajnatha Mendis magic is over, at least in ODIs. He will probably enjoy a honeymoon period of another year in Test cricket and after that he will endure difficult sessions.

I hope he doesn't suffer the same fate as Panesar who was once dubbed as the best SLA of current generation.

That guy is nothing but a hype, just think him as slow medium bowler who can skid, swing both way the ball problem is solved thats what batsman are doing right now against him and picking his delivery with more ease.

Sovik
August 7, 2009, 07:41 AM
pakistanies have worked him out. had a poor test and odi series against pakistan and the rest of the world is watching too

Abid_Khan
August 21, 2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah I remember his average for tests was 11 and now its its 25.. :S The Pakistanis decode him too easily. He's losing his magic already and eventually he'll turn into an ordinary spinner :(

Tiger444
August 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
better than most of ur world cups...atleast after havin one bad world cup...we could win 20-20 world cup...but u cant win any...u cant learn from your mistakes....even any of the icl team can be a champion in bangladesh domestic cricket..

ya and who has played longer? You guys have played test cricket for hundreds of years while we played for only 9 years..It's funny how you guys compare yourselves with us..and yet we beat you guys in the biggest stage..and totally outplayed you guys..