PDA

View Full Version : Grateful Dhoni

Tigers_eye
April 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
Cricket

Dhoni's reward for curator

Pti, Kanpur

A grateful Mahendra Singh Dhoni sent a note of thanks and 10,000 rupees to Green Park Stadium's pitch curator for preparing the turning track that helped India score a series-levelling win over South Africa in the third Test here.

Curator Shiv Kumar said he was pleasantly surprised to receive a personal note of thanks and the cash reward from the stand-in Test skipper.

Kumar said regular Test skipper Anil Kumble, who missed the decider due to a groin injury, also came down to meet and thank him for preparing a “spinner-friendly” pitch.

Off-spinner Harbhajan Singh also met Kumar to praise and thank him. Kumar said that the Green Park wicket was a sporting one.
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=32311

Nafi
April 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
if only our curators knew what they were actually doing

Murad
April 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
grateful?

Really?

with money?

Tigers_eye
April 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
grateful?

Really?

with money?
Yes!! The money part is a gift. It was unexpected.

akabir77
April 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
can we hire this guy to teach our people how to create spinning pitch!!!

bharat
April 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
grateful?

Really?

with money?

Murad, not sure how it is in BD ( I would think it is the same) but in India (even in club cricket) it is customary that the palyers give a small gift (always money) to the ground staff.

We used to call it 'batta' .I remember we shelling out couple of 10 Re notes to the groundstaff (the guys who lay the mat,draw the lines etc).
These guys are genereally poor.

I am sure this 'custom' will appear weird to a Aussies or a SA'kan but am suprised that a BD'ite is suprised with this, ofcourse I am assuming that you spent a good in BD growing up (if otherwise, I wont be surpised).

On a side note ..pooh pooh Dhoni 10,000 Rs!!:-P thats a pittance considering that they would be atleast 10 -15 guys who would share the money.He can do much better ...

Tintin
April 16, 2008, 02:22 AM
What Bharat said is true. There are some groundsmen who are well-off (like the curator in Bangalore who is a horticultarist and some are former international cricketers) but many of them are quite poor, the salary is very low and it is common for players to pay them at the end of the game. We too used to pay Rs.100 or so for our office matches (that was in the late 1990s - early 2000s); they expect it and usually give us a hint if we didn't give them anything. What the journalist has done, as they usually do, is it to take it out of context and make it appear as a payback for preparing the spinning wicket.

A news report from during the ODI series against Australia last October says that the chief curator was paid Rs.400 a day for preparing the wicket for one day international - that is like 10 USD or 6.30 Euros a day - and Rs.300 for the others.

BANFAN
April 16, 2008, 03:48 AM
Let our Rafiq become a curator, he will be looking to make turning pitches

mijanur
April 16, 2008, 05:38 AM
ohhhhh so sweet of him

Tehsin
April 16, 2008, 09:18 PM
Turning pitches ? That'd only work againt NZ (after Vettori retires), West indies, and South Africa. Maybe Australia to an extent. The rest of them will get more benefit (even England has better spinnners than us) out of the pitch then our batsmen. :)

Murad
April 16, 2008, 11:11 PM
Murad, not sure how it is in BD ( I would think it is the same) but in India (even in club cricket) it is customary that the palyers give a small gift (always money) to the ground staff.

We used to call it 'batta' .I remember we shelling out couple of 10 Re notes to the groundstaff (the guys who lay the mat,draw the lines etc).

I am sure this 'custom' will appear weird to a Aussies or a SA'kan but am suprised that a BD'ite is suprised with this, ofcourse I am assuming that you spent a good in BD growing up (if otherwise, I wont be surpised).

On a side note ..pooh pooh Dhoni 10,000 Rs!!:-P thats a pittance considering that they would be atleast 10 -15 guys who would share the money.He can do much better ...

I see. I didn't know that.

But then,why only 10,000??

Man Dhoni is a cheap a$$$$. This was his first match as captain and also the first win. He could have rewarded them 1% of the money he is getting from the IPL. Or half the money from his montly salary. Cheap a$$$

Kabir
April 17, 2008, 11:56 AM
Dhoni...naam er shathe kaamer kono shomporko nai...taka dey goriber moto...naam raksey dhoni...fazil kothakar.

BANFAN
April 17, 2008, 12:00 PM
Match Referre, Roshan Mahanama's report describes the pitch as 'Unfit for Playing Test'. ICC has asked for explanation from BCCI. But I don't think, ICC has enough strength to take any action against BCCI.

ICC can ban the venue for future test only, if the explanation is not satisfactory. The pitch is said to be under prepared. So the curator basically was praised for 'Not doing his job'.

BANFAN
April 17, 2008, 12:05 PM
Dhoni...naam er shathe kaamer kono shomporko nai...taka dey goriber moto...naam raksey dhoni...fazil kothakar.

:)

Taile to faziltar naam thik e ache. Khali Awaz (Dhoni). No Kaam. :)

Kabir
April 17, 2008, 01:04 PM
Bujhlam na! :(

Rabz
April 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
Dhoni is dhoni
he is loaded.

10 grands is a mere pocket change for him
but good on him though.

Dhurr
April 17, 2008, 01:54 PM

Exactly. I am surprised other people here did not know this either.

tiger_omar
April 17, 2008, 09:40 PM
The only reason India tied that series was because of that pitch.

So if anything, all the Indian players, specially, Dhoni, Harbajan, Chawla, Shewag and Yuvraj should give at least 5% of their match fee to the curator and give him a big hug as well.

Tintin
April 17, 2008, 10:14 PM
The only reason India tied that series was because of that pitch.

By the same logic, the reason India lost at Ahmedabad was also because of the pitch.

tiger_omar
April 17, 2008, 10:36 PM
By the same logic, the reason India lost at Ahmedabad was also because of the pitch.

I'm not saying that at all.

I don't know if you watched India's first innings in that match or not but I did, and most of their batsmen got out playing poor shots. They were unlucky to inside edge a few balls that hit the stumps and everything was going wrong for them. And the collapse happened right from the beggining of the innings, when condition at most times favor pacers where the ball swings a little for the first half hour or so. All rounder Pathan was looking comfortable as the ball was moving less towards the end of the innings.

Even the commentators were saying how the pitch wasn't even that pace friendly, and its the batsmen who got themselves out, except for Dravid perhaps who got out to a great delivery from Steyn.

And South Africa showed that it was a very normal pitch when they batted in the next session by scoring 494.

So I am clearly not saying that India lost the 2nd Test due to a pacer friendly track. And I am saying that India won the 3rd Test clearly because of the spin friendly pitch.

Tintin
April 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
Okay. Perhaps the tone of my message wasn't right. I won't mind such wickets now and then, as long as it doesn't become a common practice.

al-Sagar
April 17, 2008, 11:21 PM
Dhoni will be the next big thing in world cricket

Eshen
April 18, 2008, 11:32 AM
A news report from during the ODI series against Australia last October says that the chief curator was paid Rs.400 a day for preparing the wicket for one day international - that is like 10 USD or 6.30 Euros a day - and Rs.300 for the others.
That's awful !

nasifkhan
April 19, 2008, 01:39 AM
Okay. Perhaps the tone of my message wasn't right. I won't mind such wickets now and then, as long as it doesn't become a common practice.

This has been a practice for so long for India.
I was amazed to see an interview of the curator before the test match as he saying we are preparing the pitch so that we can make sure India wins.

Alien
April 23, 2008, 02:17 AM

Even though it's ok, but when you put the words "money" with "ground staff" and "cricket pitch" it does raise a few eyebrows before people read on to get their impression right.

Mostly because it brings back old memories of match fixing days. Not implying that this is a form of match fixing but I kinda remember Hansie Cronje when I read the first post.

Also you don't hear a lot about Test/ODI players having much interactions with ground staff. Thats another factor. On club level its different.
As for the money, true it's a small sum from a million dollar man but something is better than nothing. How often do you see this happening anyway?