PDA

View Full Version : Really Poor Bowling: Solutions Anyone?

samircreep
April 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
I write this on the eve of the 2nd innings of our last match here in Pakistan. I had wanted to write this earlier, but wanted to see our last bowling effort before I made up my mind. Waste of time really, I might've written it up at the end of the 3rd match.

From the onset, I'd like to ask whether the Bangladeshi bowling camp does any homework before they start a series against any opposition. They're touring Pakistan, home of some of the world's best batting pitches. Also home of some of the best batsmen you will see at driving or playing on the up. A pretty dangerous combination really, but not necessarily fatalistic.

So what should our strategy have been? Well, first the basics: keep to one line, bowl in partnerships and tandems, don't bowl short on such dead pitches, and of course extras are going to be unforgiving.

But more importantly, the length should be of paramount priority. When you're playing against batsmen who are so good at driving, it's a cardinal sin to bowl full on either side of the wicket. And yet that's exactly what our pacers did. The worst part was that whenever we got creamed with big booming drives, we overcompensated for this by bowling short and at the body. The end result? Instead of being driven for boundaries, we were simply pulled for boundaries.

Any decent international side would take a page out of asif and gul's bowling and bowled short of a good length. Pakistani batsmen might have a plethora of talent, but they have zilch for patience. So common sense anyone?

The worst was our new ball bowlers. I understand we were bowling on batting pitches, but i didn't see even the slightest seam or swing with even the brand new ball. So you would think that they were rather concentrating on line and length right? wrong again.
Anyways, i'll write more later, esp. about the spinners. I just wanted to get a few responses as to how to rectify this problem...

samircreep
April 19, 2008, 09:48 AM
Just looking at the Pakistani bowling efforts: what a big difference on a seemingly dead pitch. They get appreciable movement, swing and seam the ball both ways and generally hone in on outside the off stump area, looking for edges and getting the hard new ball to jump off a good length. In short, everything that new ball bowlers should be doing. And yet when we had first use of the pitch, we bowled as if the match was already 40 overs old.

al-Sagar
April 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
nah amar mathay kisu ashtese na

wiseshah
April 19, 2008, 10:22 AM
its a temporary problem. bowlers are okay, just situation and in form pak batsman

Mahmood
April 19, 2008, 10:34 AM
I watched every bowl today, and my conclusion, bowling was ok.

The fielding sucked really bad. We desparately need a world class fielding coach, Mr. Salahudding won't do at this level.

WarWolf
April 19, 2008, 10:38 AM
Do they practice fielding in this tour? I got a suspicion cause our fielding was never so bad.

Murad
April 19, 2008, 10:41 AM
I still don't understand why they didn't play Rasel in any of the matches except that 20/20.

Is he worse than Shahadat?

al Furqaan
April 19, 2008, 10:53 AM
bowling was OK...these are really flat pitches. lets remember that pakistan conceded 225 (would have been 235), 285, and 210 to us on the trot. if you concede such numbers to a crap batting lineup, the wicket must be dead as a ghost.

fielding was bad, catches were dropped, field settings were probably not the best - but ash is a new captain.

the problems - as always - start and end with the batting lunacy we have tied to our blood.

sonarbangla
April 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
russel isnt on the team guyz. shahadat gives away lot of runs. seta sae kobe theke boltesi. selector der mathae aita jedin dukbe sedin bhalo khelbe. plus rafiq ke retire korte enforce kore e shalara ashol damage korse amader bowling er.

but amar proshno hocche amader fielding ato baje holo ki kore?

djnaved
April 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
bring back rasel and our guru spinner rafique.....

WarWolf
April 19, 2008, 12:33 PM
Ami solution dileo lav nai....Solution neber keu nai...

RazabQ
April 19, 2008, 12:45 PM
Samir, welcome back.

I commented on the bowling problem on the Miandad thread but this is a more appropriate place for additional discussion.

To answer your question, I do not believe the problem is one of preparation or execution but rather of basic talent. Frankly none of our bowlers ('cept perhaps Rafique) have the nuance or skills to deal with the questions asked of them on shirtfronts.

None of our pacers can bowl genuine swing/seam. Not consistently. Masree occassionally gets the ball to shape away and Rajib gets it to shape in. That's about it.

Masree, Rajib, Rasel or Reza all basically "cut" the ball to get movement. Folks no that's not the same as swinging which is about using seam, differences in shine and atmospheric conditions and backwards spin on the ball, to induce (often late) movement.

Cutting the ball is basically super-fast spin bowling. You get your fingers to cut across the ball at the point of release to get the ball to spin slightly in one direction. Obviously this will thus not work on a pitch where our spinners aren't getting purchase either.

To those of you who are going "but Rasel swings it" - No he doesn't. He is one of the only one who does occasionally seam it. Seaming is movement off the pitch using the seam position. Rasel can do it, Rajib occasionally.

And all of this is compounded by the fact none of them are really express or tall. Slight deviations can be more than sufficient if you are really nippy (ala Asif, Taylor, Powell) or can get towering bounce (ala Polly or Pigeon). Our guys on their best moment occasionally crack 90 - and don't even average high 80s! And I don't see too many 6'6 or 6'7 pacers coming up in BD either.

Seam and swing bowling requires some real skill and heritage and/or great coaching. Pakistan's swing tradition started with Sarfaraj and has been sustained diligently since. India has the MRF academy (plus more non-vegetarian diets) to than for their recent surplus of quality swing/seam merchants. Saffers, Engers, Kiwis have the natural conditions and long-term history. We have none of that.

So is it all doom and gloom? No - we honestly need to get better with our variations of pace. Tapash used to have a well controlled slower ball, and Masree occasionally bowls a clever slower bouncer - but we need way more. Each bowler should have 2-3 variations of pace that are both well hidden and can be bowled w/o sacrificing desired line and length. That is something we can work on - the others we gotta pray just to make it today ...

WarWolf
April 19, 2008, 12:47 PM
Very good post Razab bhai. Probably you didn't leave any thing more to say at all..

al Furqaan
April 19, 2008, 12:56 PM
but razab bhai, asif ins't any nippier than mash or rajib. bottom line is our bowlers threw their wickets away as usual. genuine swing/seam will trouble any batsmen, it will just trouble our batters more so. any other team would have racked up at least 280 batting second. proves our bats threw the chances away. asif and gul weren't bowling anything amazing which our pacers couldn't have done. asif i rate highly, but gul is just a faster ligther skinned, pathan version of mash/rajib. he ain't that good. this wahab riaz is impressive though, as is sohail khan.

al Furqaan
April 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
the fact that mash and razzak yet again ranked 4th and 5th in terms of batting average for the whole tour is the source of our problem. another series, another track, our bowlers will look quite good. thats more or less the case with every team.

Spitfire_x86
April 19, 2008, 01:09 PM
Al, you have to concede it Pakistan bowled much better today than they did in the 3rd ODI. For a start, extras from no-balls and wides were noticably fewer. They hardly got any swing in the 3rd ODI. If their bowling today was like that, Junaid and Tamim would't get out by playing those shots that got themselves out.

Tigers_eye
April 19, 2008, 01:23 PM
Bowlers were between okay and bad. Shahadat too often bowled on the leg and got punished. So did Abdur Razzak. The fielding was bad. Yet that is not I would fix.

If you watched today's game, I urge you to watch any of Ricky Pontings game. When going gets tough, the captain needs to think a little hard. Coach Siddons need to share the blame for not preparing his nadan captain properly. The captain is the extension of the coach in the field.

In today's game this is what I saw:
1) When Younis and Butt was getting set inside the 2nd powerplay, the captain should have not taken the 3rd power play at over # 16. Do something different. The game was going out of hand then.
or
2) Get all players in close proximity. Let the batsman take risk or get out of their rhythm. Dry up the singles. They have to take risk to get runs. That is how you create half chances. In this game there weren't too many half chances. Heck I would get all 10 players inside the circle and leave a third man. Let them go over the top. The game was slipping anyways.

3) When Shakib hit a four beside the second slip what did Malik do? He brought in a third slip immediately. Now let us see what our Ash did:
Mesbah took 2 runs at long off once, twice, three times in just one over. Never the the long off came closer to the wicket. This is fundamental cricket taught in high school. The word once beaten twice shy makes no sense to our captain. gotanogotik je bhabey fieliding set korey ashtasey thik shei bhabei kheltey hobey.

Thank you captain for a wonderful 30. Now please resign from your captaincy.

Again the bowling and fielding was between okay and bad. The captaincy was worse than high school cricket standard.

al Furqaan
April 19, 2008, 01:25 PM
Al, you have to concede it Pakistan bowled much better today than they did in the 3rd ODI. For a start, extras from no-balls and wides were noticably fewer. They hardly got any swing in the 3rd ODI. If their bowling today was like that, Junaid and Tamim would't get out by playing those shots that got themselves out.

fully agree...tho junaid threw his wicket away in the literal sense, but i won't blame him much since the ball was wide and the asking rate was just getting higher. it was the 5th over, some hitting had to start.

but at the same time, the bowling wasn't that amazing. i would expect even the ireland top order to have made a stronger resistance.

RazabQ
April 19, 2008, 02:30 PM
Asad, Gul and Asif in general are consistently faster than Mash or Shahadat. Asif right now is just getting his fitness back. Having said that, they are also way more skillful with the ball and TALLER. No contest. Gul dismissed the Indian batting line-up in the "Jeet-lo-Dil" tour when it was on top form. Asif ran through the Lankan lineup (Sangy, Jaya & co.) _in_ Lanka. Dude this is a no contest as to the difference in calibre.

BTW I wanted to add that our pace bowlers also lack ideal physique but hopefully with Ramanayeke around they'll all start sporting Dilhara-esque figures.

Eshen
April 19, 2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, the pitches in Pakistan were batting friendly, still I don't think that was a good enough excuse to let Pakistan score 300+ in 3 out of 5 matches (Pakistan prolly had scored 300+ in other two matches too if they had batted first). At this point our bowling attack is looking weaker than the Zimbabwean attack.

ZaKi
April 19, 2008, 03:18 PM
Our Bowling is ok. Problem with fielding & batting

al Furqaan
April 19, 2008, 03:38 PM
Asad, Gul and Asif in general are consistently faster than Mash or Shahadat. Asif right now is just getting his fitness back. Having said that, they are also way more skillful with the ball and TALLER. No contest. Gul dismissed the Indian batting line-up in the "Jeet-lo-Dil" tour when it was on top form. Asif ran through the Lankan lineup (Sangy, Jaya & co.) _in_ Lanka. Dude this is a no contest as to the difference in calibre.

BTW I wanted to add that our pace bowlers also lack ideal physique but hopefully with Ramanayeke around they'll all start sporting Dilhara-esque figures.

asif is made fun of by pakistanis for not having pace, gul is celebrated for the exact opposite reason. gul is a 140 k pacer who can hit 145. asif is a 125-135 k type who can possible (if so, its rare) hit 140 k. maybe if the guy had never hit an injury he'd be consistently that quick. but i'd reckon a completely injury free mash would be around as quick as gul. as far as height goes, asif looks to be about rajib height, but gul looks a little shorter.

asif is a class act no doubt, but i'm not so certainly sold on gul in that sense that i would write off rajib in his favor based on a few ODIs where our batsmen didn't even show up. gul is good, no doubt. but is he inherently more gifted than shahadat? i highly doubt that. we lost the series/played badly due the top order batting problems, not because gul was head and shoulders better than rajib or mash. in our frustrations, we must focus our wrath where it truly belongs. we get no benefit trying to denigrate the only decent thing we have going for us. mash and rajib have lots to learn, but they've made strides (mash's slog over bowling), and they've got the potential.

gul's stats don't seem to be that much better than shahadat's. their test bowling stats are quite similar:

gul averages 31 to rajib's 37, gul has a SR of 54 to rajib's 52...given the kind of totals rajib has to back him up, i'd say he's done better than gul and host of other class fast bowlers.

gul's ODI stats are also nothing to write home about, he averages 30 with a 4.89 econ and until this 5th ODI he looked rather ordinary.

asif on the other hand is a player who will be a legend. wahab riaz also seems to be a quick and accurate player.

ammark
April 19, 2008, 03:46 PM
Excellently put RazabQ...

Swing and cutters are absolutely not the same thing. I find Rajib's open body bowling action with minimal bending forward to be a bit disconcerting. It keeps telling me that he does not have full control over the variations he might impart at the point of delivery. His action also seems to give a bit of an angle into the delivery, rather than having a wicket to wicket straight line.

More importantly he's not very sharp up-there with his bowling. He still tends to bang it in short on a middle-and-off line that on a dead batsman's paradise becomes choice pickings for powerful fours. However, in test matches, I have seen what he can do with a roughed up ball... getting some late swing, and consistently troubling the batsmen with his aggression and length.

Rasel is way too slow for any good in such a flat and dead track such as these, in my opinion. He can get pummelled around, and the only thing making him look good logically is the fielding. Its his lack of pace that gets frustrated & constricted batsmen out more often. If Ash is so unimaginative about field placing (a la Bashar) then I can only see him getting taken advantage of.

reading Tigers Eye's words reinforces this view in my mind, Ashraful's captaincy and field settings are very defensive, late and reactive... very similar to Bashar's. With the deterioration of our fielding, I am quite certain that we wont ever get a good result if we're stuck in this rut. Fielding needs to be more aggressive, sharper and the setting must be proactive and creative, rather than reactive. Only then will we get the once in a blue moon performances of the World Cup game vs India last year.

BD-BLAST
April 19, 2008, 04:00 PM
The bowling of Bangladesh is not too good but ok. For fast bowlers we dont have anyone better than Mashrafee and Rajib at the moment. Our spinners do quite well to contain the runs that the pace bowlers cannot do.

The main thing that we need to work on is our fielding and captaincy. If we have can put pressure on the batsmen by not allowing singles we might save 30-40 runs. Then there is the field setting which obviously the captain does not how to do properly.

samircreep
April 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
Razab, I agree to all your points, but what I was trying to say is that one day bowlers hunt in packs, not as individuals like in test cricket maybe, especially in the case of our bowlers who, as you pointed out, don't really have much talent to fall back on. And thats where preparation comes in, when you're trying to hone the skills of a team of bowlers and not just one pacer.

Lets use Salman Butt as an example because I consider him as the archetypal Paki batsman: great with booming offdrives when the ball is pitched in full, slaps the ball with his wrists if its pitched in straight and good with cutting the ball as well. But Butt is awful at playing short of good length deliveries. The SA bowlers peppered him with deliveries just off a good length and he nevr once got going against them, precise cause Butt has no plan B in his mind, much like a majority of the Paki bastmen. Like our batters, they are excellent at playing when the opposition puts deliveries to their strengths, horrible at coming up with anything else.

Thus my point remains: you don't need great physique, subtle movements off the seam, or swing the ball in the air (but obviously all this helps) to come up with a PLAN to get teams out. And I saw no planning on the part of the bangladeshi bowling camp whatsoever. And we call ourselves an international team?

I obviously disagree with anyone who thinks the bowling was ok in the series. Can someone please point out how many genuine wicket taking deliveries we actually bowled throughout the whole series? I've seen every single Pakistani dismissal, and apart from Shahadat's yorker of Nomanullah and Mashrafee's dismissal of Akmal (all of them in the last one dayer), i really don't remember too many wicket taking deliveries.

In fact, our batsmen were under pressure in every single game precisely because our bowlers let us down; to me theres a direct correlation. Although the pitches were batting kinds, I don't think they were necessarily 300 plus pitches. The brunt of the criticism falls on our new ball bowlers who were absolutely unimpressive. Seriously, if u cant get batters like akmal and butt out cheaply (miandad's assessment of both of them were on the button), you're not gonna get too many early wickets in international matches.

Spitfire_x86
April 19, 2008, 04:37 PM
asif is a class act no doubt, but i'm not so certainly sold on gul in that sense that i would write off rajib in his favor based on a few ODIs where our batsmen didn't even show up. gul is good, no doubt. but is he inherently more gifted than shahadat? i highly doubt that. we lost the series/played badly due the top order batting problems, not because gul was head and shoulders better than rajib or mash. in our frustrations, we must focus our wrath where it truly belongs. we get no benefit trying to denigrate the only decent thing we have going for us. mash and rajib have lots to learn, but they've made strides (mash's slog over bowling), and they've got the potential.

gul's stats don't seem to be that much better than shahadat's. their test bowling stats are quite similar:

gul averages 31 to rajib's 37, gul has a SR of 54 to rajib's 52...given the kind of totals rajib has to back him up, i'd say he's done better than gul and host of other class fast bowlers.

gul's ODI stats are also nothing to write home about, he averages 30 with a 4.89 econ and until this 5th ODI he looked rather ordinary.

asif on the other hand is a player who will be a legend. wahab riaz also seems to be a quick and accurate player.
Shahadat played too few ODIs to be compared with anyone. But Mash's stats against top #8 teams is noticeably worse than Gul's. Gul's average and SR far more respectable than Mashrafee's (38 avg/43 SR vs 48 avg/54 SR)

zahid
April 19, 2008, 05:54 PM
Pacers need to maintain good line and length. Bowling wide off the stumps is no good!

As for spinners, not even Razzak is as good a spinner as Rafique. Razzak is years away from Rafique's level of proficiency.

al Furqaan
April 19, 2008, 07:00 PM
Razab, I agree to all your points, but what I was trying to say is that one day bowlers hunt in packs, not as individuals like in test cricket maybe, especially in the case of our bowlers who, as you pointed out, don't really have much talent to fall back on. And thats where preparation comes in, when you're trying to hone the skills of a team of bowlers and not just one pacer.

Lets use Salman Butt as an example because I consider him as the archetypal Paki batsman: great with booming offdrives when the ball is pitched in full, slaps the ball with his wrists if its pitched in straight and good with cutting the ball as well. But Butt is awful at playing short of good length deliveries. The SA bowlers peppered him with deliveries just off a good length and he nevr once got going against them, precise cause Butt has no plan B in his mind, much like a majority of the Paki bastmen. Like our batters, they are excellent at playing when the opposition puts deliveries to their strengths, horrible at coming up with anything else.

Thus my point remains: you don't need great physique, subtle movements off the seam, or swing the ball in the air (but obviously all this helps) to come up with a PLAN to get teams out. And I saw no planning on the part of the bangladeshi bowling camp whatsoever. And we call ourselves an international team?

I obviously disagree with anyone who thinks the bowling was ok in the series. Can someone please point out how many genuine wicket taking deliveries we actually bowled throughout the whole series? I've seen every single Pakistani dismissal, and apart from Shahadat's yorker of Nomanullah and Mashrafee's dismissal of Akmal (all of them in the last one dayer), i really don't remember too many wicket taking deliveries.

In fact, our batsmen were under pressure in every single game precisely because our bowlers let us down; to me theres a direct correlation. Although the pitches were batting kinds, I don't think they were necessarily 300 plus pitches. The brunt of the criticism falls on our new ball bowlers who were absolutely unimpressive. Seriously, if u cant get batters like akmal and butt out cheaply (miandad's assessment of both of them were on the button), you're not gonna get too many early wickets in international matches.

mostly agree there, but a few points of digression:

1) most wickets in international cricket are, IMHO, due to the batsmen "throwing their wicket away". look at Murali's 1200 odd wickets, for example. how many were genuine wicket taking deliveries, that the batsman no matter what would have gotten out (i.e the batter was completely foxed)? maybe 100 wickets at most. same with mcgrath, warne, the 2 Ws, and all other bowlers. the batsman could have let the ball go, defended, or played the shot along the ground.

the ONLY difference between our batsmen and others is that others will score on average 40-50 runs per innings before gifting their wicket away. our batsmen will score on average 20-25 at best.

in this sense, i'm not worred that we only had 2 genuine wicket taking deliveries. what matters is the wickets we took, and that sadly, was not enough. one interesting point is that our bowling at the death improved vastly, although our bowling at the start was piss poor. i'll dig up some stats on that in my usual WEIR thread when i get around to that.

2) the fact that pak racked up 300 pretty much every game, while disappointing and also unexpected, seems to fit the mold of subcontinent games. it seems every india-pak ODI sees 600 runs scored per match. difference is again our batters couldn't pull their fair share of weight.

in end, its not the bowlers who disappointed me. there are days when our bowling attack will be just as good as any out there, and there are days when it will look like a minnow attack. thats something we have to accept, and something which has shown time and again the tendency to fix itself.

its the so-called batsmen who i am worried about. if we keep this up for another year, i'm sure we will have Test status, but no one will be willing to play with us. not even the zimbos.

al Furqaan
April 19, 2008, 07:18 PM
Shahadat played too few ODIs to be compared with anyone. But Mash's stats against top #8 teams is noticeably worse than Gul's. Gul's average and SR far more respectable than Mashrafee's (38 avg/43 SR vs 48 avg/54 SR)

which is why i compared shahadat and gul in tests - in which case they're almost the same. mashrafee's enigmatic bowling is another reason i omitted him from my post. although i will say that mash is a very unlucky bowler. his wicket thanks to junaid is the first time in my memory that a slip catch was taken. mash could easily have 10 more wickets against top 8 sides, which would drastically improve his numbers. this is a fact which should not be forgotten. i am sure gul has had a few get away (like he did of riyad today) but will it be as many as mash? i don't think so, because we have the worst slip fielders ever and pretty bad fielders in general. bottom line is mash has bowled well better than his stats suggest.

Russell2k7
April 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
For a Batting caliber Pakistan they have very good attack. India with all their batting strength have struggled in bowling dept for ages and so have South Africa until recently. So, Pakistan with their batting to have players like Asif, Gul, Shoail Khan, Tanvir, and today Riaz is quite incredible. Also, Afridi is quite a handy bowler.

As for Shahadat, I am actually big fan of him, but couldnt even hit 135 today, although that yorker to Namanullah was good. He definitely needs more ODI exposure. And we need Rasel bak in the team. This Spin attack wont get us anywhere.

Yes, in the end our bowling was bad but not horrendous as it is the batting which always bites the woes.

Isnaad
April 19, 2008, 08:58 PM
Heres a tip:
Let me bowl in the 20/20. Pace com but at least PAK players will be irritated and the economy will be 5.50. lol

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2008, 12:59 AM
which is why i compared shahadat and gul in tests - in which case they're almost the same. mashrafee's enigmatic bowling is another reason i omitted him from my post. although i will say that mash is a very unlucky bowler. his wicket thanks to junaid is the first time in my memory that a slip catch was taken. mash could easily have 10 more wickets against top 8 sides, which would drastically improve his numbers. this is a fact which should not be forgotten. i am sure gul has had a few get away (like he did of riyad today) but will it be as many as mash? i don't think so, because we have the worst slip fielders ever and pretty bad fielders in general. bottom line is mash has bowled well better than his stats suggest.
Pakistani are no better than us in catching, and Akmal was behind the stumps probably in most of Gul's matches

crikfreak
April 20, 2008, 08:00 AM
everythings already been said.. fact is.. our bowling wasn't that bad.. its our batsman and our fielders.. if our batsman hadn't gifted their wicket.. pak bowlers wouldn't have had such amaizing stats.. asif maybe.. but noway gul.. he looks pretty oridinary to me..

RazabQ
April 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
Our bowling was not lacking in effort. That's about it. It _WAS_ bad as was the fielding and batting. Just that bad fielding was because of insufficient effort, bad batting was from insufficient application, while the bad bowling was because of insufficient skills/talent. I find the third even more depressing.

al Furqaan
April 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
Pakistani are no better than us in catching, and Akmal was behind the stumps probably in most of Gul's matches

i beg to disagree. we are the worst slip catching team EVER, hence even if pakistan is terrible, they're still miles better than us in this regard. mash has lost a lot of wickets that way. our overall catching is so-so, sometimes atrocious, sometimes decent.

there is no way you can say that we're on par with pakistan in a certain department to prove that we are inferior in another.

zainab
April 23, 2008, 03:16 PM
Sorry to go off subject here, but does anyone know if Mash is OK? Towrds the end of the last match, he limped off the field and the commentatotir seem to think that he injured his knee. I hope it is not serious and a week's rest will be fine.

PlanetPak
April 23, 2008, 10:27 PM
1st step
Play at least 4 regular bowlers.

Mortaza
Rasel
S Hossain
A Razzak
-----------
Shakib
Mahmudullah

PlanetPak
April 23, 2008, 10:29 PM
For a Batting caliber Pakistan they have very good attack. India with all their batting strength have struggled in bowling dept for ages and so have South Africa until recently. So, Pakistan with their batting to have players like Asif, Gul, Shoail Khan, Tanvir, and today Riaz is quite incredible. Also, Afridi is quite a handy bowler.As for Shahadat, I am actually big fan of him, but couldnt even hit 135 today, although that yorker to Namanullah was good. He definitely needs more ODI exposure. And we need Rasel bak in the team. This Spin attack wont get us anywhere.

Yes, in the end our bowling was bad but not horrendous as it is the batting which always bites the woes.

Unfortunately the best fast bowlers are always injured. Lets hope the likes of Riaz and S Khan aren't as injury prone as Gul, Asif and Shoaib

jeesh
April 24, 2008, 03:29 AM
http://content-sl.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/346812.html. Excellent article, worth having a look at. Key learnings for me are:
1) "You're gonna have more disappointment than celebrations in cricket." And during the dissapointing times you have to work very hard like Steyn did. I also like the quote "One thing I've learned and sorted out is that you've got to be comfortable off the field to be able to perform on the field. That's why I admire sportsmen like Polly or Tiger Woods or Roger Federer - for their professional way of doing things. They're prepared." Now you ask yourself, how prepared do you think are our bowlers? And we talk about bringing in youngsters such as Dollar Mahmud?

2) In order to develop into a good player you need to have mentors. I am sure the likes of Pollock and Cullinan have played some role in the development of Steyn. We keep chopping our bowlers every 2-3 years. As long as this continues our bowlers or even batsmen wont really have players to go and get advice or suggestions from.

These things might sound very simple, but at the end they make a big difference.

mehedi
April 24, 2008, 04:00 AM
Do they practice fielding in this tour? I got a suspicion cause our fielding was never so bad.

i am agree with you mate, its been pathetic

zainab
April 24, 2008, 04:15 PM
i am agree with you mate, its been pathetic

I dont think that they practice enough fielding either in Bangladesh or when they are on tour. All their coaches are crap.

jeesh
April 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
Well i think the focus has been a lot on batting recently- which could explain the lack of planning with our bowling and poor show in the field. Anyway focus on batting hasnt paid dividends.

zainab
April 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
Good fielding is very important, can save a lot of runs, I heard the fielding coach for the national coach is very good, but is he giving his best and demanding the best from these boys? They have to learn to run much faster, especially the guys who are patrolling the boundary, also their catching is poor. Is anyone training Dhiman with his footwork, catching etc? He is dropping catches, and not reading the bowlers well. Mushy did a better job, also he is not gelling well with the team, no spark like Mushy.

jeesh
April 25, 2008, 06:51 AM
Thats our big problem- we chop players and bring in ones who are not ready. Its too early for Dhiman to represent us. A lot of ppl are pointing fingers at Salahuddin and questioning what he is doing. Problem is we dont know what exactly is going on in the camp. Is Salahuddin being given the freedom that a fielding coach needs? Or is Salahuddin not good enough. Difficult to judge unless someone from the inside speaks up.