PDA

View Full Version : ODI WEIR update: post Pakistan series (2008)

al Furqaan
April 20, 2008, 01:45 PM
Batsman............................Rating......... .Previous.........(Change)

Shahriar Nafees....................22.22............23.09.. ...........(-0.87)
Aftab Ahmed........................19.57............20.4 8............(-0.91)
Tamim Iqbal.........................18.97............18. 12............(+0.85)
Sakib al Hasan......................18.45............16.78. ...........(+1.67)
Mahmudullah........................18.00.......... ..25.31.............(-7.31)
Mohammad Ashraful................14.65............14.81.... ........(-0.16)
Mashrafee Mortaza.................12.38.............N/A..............N/A
Farhad Reza.........................10.93............11.5 2.............(-0.59)
Khaled Mashud.......................9.06.............DNB. .............N/A
Tushar Imran.........................8.49.............DNB ..............N/A
Mushfiqur Rahim....................8.42.............DNB..... ..........N/A
Dhiman Ghosh.......................6.42.............1.85. .............(+4.57)
Junaid Siddique......................2.44.............3.2 6.............(-0.82)

Bowler................................Rating...... ......Previous.......(Change)

Abdur Razzak.........................20.45.............. 25.26...........(-4.81)
Syed Rasel............................16.45............ ...17.79..........(-1.34)
Mashrafee Mortaza..................14.05...............13.69 ...........(+0.36)
Sakib al Hasan.......................8.02.................8 .47............(-0.45)
Shahadat Hossain....................6.76.................6. 85...........(-0.09)
Tapash Baisya........................6.10................ .DNB.............N/A
Farhad Reza...........................2.73............... .2.49............(+0.24)
Mahmudullah..........................1.24......... .......N/A.............N/A

Notes:

1) Most surprising is that 3 individual batsmen (Tamim, Sakib, and Dhiman) improved their ratings. Thats a definite positive because in our previous 2 tours against top sides, only Tamim was green.

2) Mash actually improved his bowling rating. This is due almost solely to his much-improved slog overs bowling. In his 8 overs of slog-duty, Mash had an econ rate of 7.63 runs/over and took 6 wickets at an average of 10.17. Certainly good figures for a guy who got smashed for 60 wicketless runs in 4 overs against Sri Lanka a couple of years ago.

3) Tamim Iqbal has yet to decrease his rating since the introduction of the WEIR. This means that he has improved over the NZ, SA, IRE, and PAK tours. Certainly a mark of consistency after his initial struggles at the int'l arena.

4) Sakib came up big with the bat against a top side. Most impressive was his century in which he scored runs quickly against the likes of Gul and Asif. This was much needed, as Sakib's ratings had been plummeting continously. Huge series for him.

5) Of our present wicket-keepers, Pilot actually has the highest rating.

AsifTheManRahman
April 20, 2008, 02:06 PM
Good observations. Mashrafe I thought was actually a lot better than he has been recently. I must say I was quite impressed, because it's obvious that he's been working hard behind the scenes. This isn't his best effort though.

Refresh my memory - does the WEIR take into account strength of the opposition? Just a suggestion here - perhaps you could accommodate the ICC rankings of the opponent somewhere into the formula?

al Furqaan
April 20, 2008, 05:41 PM
Good observations. Mashrafe I thought was actually a lot better than he has been recently. I must say I was quite impressed, because it's obvious that he's been working hard behind the scenes. This isn't his best effort though.

Refresh my memory - does the WEIR take into account strength of the opposition? Just a suggestion here - perhaps you could accommodate the ICC rankings of the opponent somewhere into the formula?

WEIR does NOT incorporate strength of opposition. however, with a little effort i can calculate a WEIR against top 8 sides only.

also since the WEIR is updated in a series by series fashion, you can see who improved and by what amount against a particular team during the course of an entire series. this will involve a bit of research on the individual's part. just search 'WEIR' in the search tool and you'll find a list of all threads in which the word is mentioned. you can find the updates threads since those threads will have the term 'WEIR' in the title.

WEIR does not include not outs as a stat booster either.

al Furqaan
April 20, 2008, 05:44 PM
i think it is beyond my scope to incorporate strenght of opposition into the WEIR. however, i can from time to time give updates with WEIR ratings against top 8 sides and overall.

Shobha
April 21, 2008, 04:12 AM
isshh..what is going on with lala?????

i remember when bd played england at the worldcup, some of the pre-match comments that came from the england side were that they think facing razzak will be tough.

mshakir56
April 21, 2008, 04:22 AM
Razzak has completely lost it. No turn at all !

al-Sagar
April 21, 2008, 10:23 PM
Razzak has completely lost it. No turn at all !

Razzak was never a big turner. His strength was good line and length. Forcing batsman to play false shot.
But now he has lost that consistency. Also bowling lot of leg side wides which goes for 4 byes

crikfreak
April 22, 2008, 01:07 PM
nice to see tamim, sakib and dhiman improving.. and as for our top order.. hmm.. what to say..

and i'm also very impressed by mash this series.. but i know he is capable of doing a lot better.. improvement is coming.. hope he contnues to improve..
and whats wrong with razzak?? i expect him to do much better..

Isnaad
April 23, 2008, 08:30 PM
EXCELLENT THREAD!!!! Plz continue your WEIR update thingy. THANKS a lot.

Antora
April 23, 2008, 09:08 PM
excellent to Tamim, Sakib and Dhiman improving. I am aslo very happy with the way mash is performing, but what happened to our best bowler Raz? Wasn't he ranked the 9th or 10th best bowler at one stage? *sigh*