PDA

View Full Version : Should ashrafool give up captaincy ?

al-Sagar
April 21, 2008, 10:34 PM
I personally dont think he is a captain material. He has not matured enough to be a captain. I dont know whether he even understands that he should not be the captain. And as BCB looks reluctant to change captain should ashrafool himself come out and resign as the captain ?
Well next captain not sure. Let BCB find it.

cricket_fanatic
April 21, 2008, 11:34 PM
Let BCB find it.

And where exactly do you think BCB will find ''it" from?

Tigers_eye
April 21, 2008, 11:50 PM
When you are not up to the par what you need is training. Certainly he can be a better captain. For the sake of the future we need to train Ash not give it to another person who won't be able to handle the pressure (Mash).

nobody
April 22, 2008, 03:12 AM
this is not the right question. the question should be "Should asraful give up cricket and start playing blind poker . evidently he is playing that with the bat and by the mouth

WarWolf
April 22, 2008, 04:14 AM
I would like to ask you a question before answering this one.
"Who will be the captain? Why on earth we have to waste another immature player by giving him early responsibilities?"

BANFAN
April 22, 2008, 04:39 AM
No

From where do you think BCB will bring one new captain? From the current 11 isn't it? You know them, Why can't you find out & recommend 1 captaincy material from the current 11? Coz you know, there is none whowill make a big difference.

So wy not let the captaincy be left alone? That's not our current prob. Main problem is 'Each player playing their part in the team' let that be solved. Let Ash learn from his mistakes and be a better captain in future.

auntu
April 22, 2008, 05:03 AM
I would like to ask you a question before answering this one.
"Who will be the captain? Why on earth we have to waste another immature player by giving him early responsibilities?"

thats why ekhon o kono bikalpa na thakar jonno ash ke mene nite hobe for d time being. to ami driri vabe believe kori ash er captency quality nai.

crikfreak
April 22, 2008, 05:57 AM
ash is not captain material.. he's got no clue when to do what.. but then.. at the moment.. who else do we have.. it is evident that bcb won't bring any of the old guys back.. so if they change captain.. who will it be?? i don't want any one elses carrier to be ruined as well.. everyone from the current bunch exept mash and razzak are younger to ash.. i don't like & don't want bowlers captaining the side.. its too much pressure on them.. we can't lose our main bowlers as well.. so atm let the captaincy stay with ash.. even though i don't like it one bit.. i'm ready to live with it for a while till we find a better person for the job.. coz i don't want any one elses carrier slayed by our so called cricket board..

Baundule
April 22, 2008, 06:41 AM
Changing the captain will not add any value

Yasin
April 22, 2008, 06:59 AM
The question is NOT if we should change the captain. The question is if Ashraful should give up captaincy ala Dravid to concenterate on his game.

If giving up captaincy means better performance from him, then he definitely should. His performance should be the reason he should be in the team and not only because he is a captain. At the end of the day Ash will know best what to do, and that is not saying much.

Yameen
April 22, 2008, 07:09 AM
Isnt this all pretty obvious? I agree though, ash should give up the captaincy to concentrate on his batting and therefore put the BCB under pressure to find another captain..

sonarbangla
April 22, 2008, 07:23 AM
ai kotha boila ami chillaitesi last 2 months dhore. phft. bangali sob kisu sesh moment a buje. BCB bujbe 2011 e. world cup er por

cricket_dorshok
April 22, 2008, 09:14 AM
he should give up cricket all together not only captaincy. Unless and until you find your mistake, there is no chance of improving. For Ash, its already proven (during the last seven years) that he is unable to learn anything.

Fazal
April 22, 2008, 09:22 AM
ai kotha boila ami chillaitesi last 2 months dhore. phft. bangali sob kisu sesh moment a buje.

Amaro Ekyee kotha. Public ulta plata lafyee... kintu jokhon bujye... tokhon its too late.

SS
April 22, 2008, 09:57 AM
Bina juddhe nahi dibo suchagro medini...50 years ago
Bina $$$ e nahi dibo suchagro captancy...now for Ashraful

He will rein the BD cricket for few years...with his charisticmatic pull shot that was named as Ashrapull. He is an inventor (scope shot, ashball), a model, a positive talker, a strict Eid follower, and overall the most talented batsman of the country.

mali007
April 22, 2008, 10:25 AM
Its very difficult to find replacement for Ash. right now !!! NYE MAAMAR CHEYE KAANA MAAMAI VAALO!!!

Fazal
April 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
Its very difficult to find replacement for Ash. right now !!! NYE MAAMAR CHEYE KAANA MAAMAI VAALO!!!

How about if the Mama is Aundho?

Murad
April 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
ashraful er captaincy give up kora lagbena..emnitei chole jabe...

but question is... who will be the next captain?

do we have any option?? Shakib hoito ODI captaincy ta korlo.. jodi etate or battting er khoti hoi??

ar test er captain hobe ke?? shakibi to test kheltei parena.....

Eshen
April 22, 2008, 10:45 AM
I am always opposed to have a non-performing player as the captain, it's bad for the team morale. Burden of captaincy is not helping Ashraful as a batsman either. I see no reason to continue with Ashraful. IMO, make Mashrafe the captain for now and make Shakib his deputy (to groom him for future).

Yasin
April 22, 2008, 10:49 AM

Are you talking about Bucknor mama? :-|

Fazal
April 22, 2008, 11:16 AM
Are you talking about Bucknor mama? :-|

Bucnor is your Mama and not Dada? Then how old are you Yasin Mama?:-D

WarWolf
April 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
I am always opposed to have a non-performing player as the captain, it's bad for the team morale. Burden of captaincy is not helping Ashraful as a batsman either. I see no reason to continue with Ashraful. IMO, make Mashrafe the captain for now and make Shakib his deputy (to groom him for future).
Bapar ta musical chair er porjaye chole jasse na Ehsen? Ei vabe cholle dol er shobai ek bar kore captaincy r shwad peye jabe. Kintu problem solve hobe na...

Raynman
April 22, 2008, 11:34 AM
Defiant Ashraful remains upbeat

Cricinfo staff

April 22, 2008

They might have been comprehensively whitewashed in the five-match ODI series and thumped in the one-off Twenty20, but Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful was upbeat when the side returned from Pakistan.

"We played competitive cricket," he told reporters. "I think our performance was much better than our previous two series against New Zealand and South Africa. I believe we were competitive in the series if you considered our performance in the last two series. You know we have a long-term plan towards the World Cup of 2011.

"We had the target of scoring 200 runs consistently in the series and we achieved it thrice which I think is a big success for us. It could have been a much better series for us if we did not lose the last ODI that badly."

Ashraful, whose own form was poor - he managed 81 runs in the five ODIs - denied he was under pressure, although the public will continue to demand better from him and the side. "My performance was not too bad in the series as I got starts in most of the matches," he said. "You must have luck for a big score."

But Shakib Al Hasan, who scored a hundred in the fourth ODI, offered a more realistic view. "The team's morale is down after defeats one after another against the top sides," he admitted. "[This] was the main reason behind our bad performance and we have to get out from this situation."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This says it all. Ash does not have a realistic view, is not producing results (for the team or himself), does not have the confidence and respect of the team and is full of excuses.

Captaincy is crucial to a team. Ash was given the captaincy with the hopes that it will be better similar to when we decide that marrying off somebody will solve all problems.

As to who is the replacement, lets go through the list of logical choices:

Mash : current VC, has respect of team, viable option. He already has added pressure as the expected #1 strike bowler and having to bowl after a low total by BD or batting earlier in terms of overs than he should as a #8, 9 or 10. I doubt Captaincy will impact his game further

Nafees : Definitely the perfect guy as the face of the team with his charisma and speaking abilities. Some argue about his form but he is more consistant that Ash and Aftab. Has the ability to convert starts and has experience as Bashar's deputy during Bangladesh's most successful period. And the in his case, the captaincy might make him think twice before trying to cut that ball wide on off stump

Shakib : WIthout a quesiton our future captain somewhere down the line. Maybe too early but definitely a VC behind Mash or Nafees. Look at his team and individual performance in the 2 practice games against SA. Doesn't give up and has an upbeat, realistic approach to the game. Right now, probably the only player who's spot is not in real jeopardy at the moment

Razzak : A long shot but I don't see it being worse that Ash

Bashar : Since the decision has been made to move forward with youth, this ship has sailed.

Pilot : This may not be a bad short term solution. If the arguement is Dhiman has been putting up runs as of late, well lets play him in the top order. We could use some runs in the top order.

I think the selectors and Siddons need to have individual interviews with the players and get their opinions. A good captain MUST have the backing of his team. Say what you will about Bashar's batting towards the end, he still got the results we needed as a captain. There was a stability and unity within the team during the Whatmore/Bashar period.

mali007
April 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
MAMARA- TO SHOB AUNDH-ER MOTOI BAT CHALAI!!!

djnaved
April 22, 2008, 11:41 AM
ai kotha boila ami chillaitesi last 2 months dhore. phft. bangali sob kisu sesh moment a buje. BCB bujbe 2011 e. world cup er por

miah, tumi to dui mash dhore chillaitacho, ami chillaitachi 5 months dhoira

djnaved
April 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
but question is... who will be the next captain?

do we have any option?? Shakib hoito ODI captaincy ta korlo.. jodi etate or battting er khoti hoi??

ar test er captain hobe ke?? shakibi to test kheltei parena.....

oshikkhitoder captainship dia lav nai, ash er vaggo bhalo je amader kono international maner journal reporter nai, nahole ash ke pura ekdom bash kore felto........... sakib/SN/ Tamim/Razzak/Mashrafi captain howa uchit......... tara forme thakuk ba na thakuk, atleast jukti shoho kotha bolte parbe..........

Eshen
April 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
This says it all. Ash does not have a realistic view, is not producing results (for the team or himself), does not have the confidence and respect of the team and is full of excuses.

Captaincy is crucial to a team. Ash was given the captaincy with the hopes that it will be better similar to when we decide that marrying off somebody will solve all problems.

As to who is the replacement, lets go through the list of logical choices:

Mash : current VC, has respect of team, viable option. He already has added pressure as the expected #1 strike bowler and having to bowl after a low total by BD or batting earlier in terms of overs than he should as a #8, 9 or 10. I doubt Captaincy will impact his game further

Nafees : Definitely the perfect guy as the face of the team with his charisma and speaking abilities. Some argue about his form but he is more consistant that Ash and Aftab. Has the ability to convert starts and has experience as Bashar's deputy during Bangladesh's most successful period. And the in his case, the captaincy might make him think twice before trying to cut that ball wide on off stump

Shakib : WIthout a quesiton our future captain somewhere down the line. Maybe too early but definitely a VC behind Mash or Nafees. Look at his team and individual performance in the 2 practice games against SA. Doesn't give up and has an upbeat, realistic approach to the game. Right now, probably the only player who's spot is not in real jeopardy at the moment

Razzak : A long shot but I don't see it being worse that Ash

Bashar : Since the decision has been made to move forward with youth, this ship has sailed.

Pilot : This may not be a bad short term solution. If the arguement is Dhiman has been putting up runs as of late, well lets play him in the top order. We could use some runs in the top order.

I think the selectors and Siddons need to have individual interviews with the players and get their opinions. A good captain MUST have the backing of his team.
:up: Excellent post. Very much agree with what you said here except for the Nafees part (he first needs to get a secure spot in the team as a batsman before even being considered for captaincy).

akabir77
April 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
One question. We are ready to keep a plyer who's last scores are.... then whats the problem bringing in some of the middle age player who i can guarantee's will score more then him. Few names : rajin, Alok. Why can't we bring in one of those and make him captain. certainly they won't do worse then him! there is no worse he is in the bottom.

I think ash lacks intellect and that is posing more pressure on him. My fav is rajin. Bring him in as one down which will stop the mud slide and we need some one to slow things down. I hope fans realized that we can't go for win in every match. so we need some one to hold the fort even if he is slow. Let him play his 60 to 80 balls that leaves 220 balls at least for the more talented players...BTW this is make shift solution which will provide sakib to be ready in 2/3 years...

WarWolf
April 22, 2008, 12:02 PM
I want some senior player as the captain. Ash joto din ase thakuk. Kintu captain change korte gele ei shob bachcha kachcha der upore ar vorosha korbo na. Bogus polapain shob.

Eshen
April 22, 2008, 12:34 PM
Thought this an appropiate thread to post Isam's article today.
Look up, Tigers
Mohammad Isam

An international team cannot just lose five one-day matches in a row at the blink of an eye. Essentially, it takes five days and fifty wickets and a thousand runs and a few missed catches before a group of individuals are trounced so badly. Basically, a lot has to go wrong before you can lose every match on a tour.

In Pakistan, everything went wrong for Bangladesh from predictably calamitous batting to the previously reliable bowling and fielding.

Batsmen played one poor shot after another and the only remedy that was on offer for this 'main headache' was to remove the head temporarily. There were not many bowling options and if there was an option available for poor fielding, it would have been applied too. Then again, it is hard to comprehend that the same individuals were so different during and before last year's World Cup. Even in the Twenty20 World Championship, cricket greats were touting Bangladesh as a dangerous side in the shorter forms of cricket. Almost the same set of individuals now look bankrupt and totally out of place in international cricket.

Batsmen now play like millionaires, let alone reading the delivery's line and length, they play shots regardless of circumstances. Fielding and bowling, our pride and saviours during hard times, have also taken a sharp downturn. Anyone who understands the nuances of the game would point to a team's fielding as the gauge that measures its mood.

All these point towards one thing: attitude. Yes, this is something that has taken a massive beating over the past 12 months or so. One would agree that too many lost games never help a team's cause but it could be the other way around too. A team lose when they play badly and, from a pragmatic point of view, have poor attitude towards their duty to the team and the game.

So when the winning attitude turns south, one perceives the lack of leadership in the team's set-up. Clearly, that is the missing link and this is where Bangladesh has gone a few steps back after the 2007 World Cup.

It is now fair to say that Mohammad Ashraful's failings as captain has affected his batting. It is no rocket science that the pocket dynamo needs a clear mind to play his game. During this stint, Ashraful has produced a few good knocks and if he is, God forbids, dropped for a lack of leadership qualities, it will be a big blow for the future plans that are being mentioned at every given media opportunity.

It is no secret that the coaching staff has a massive role in our national set-up and it is bizarre to see them aim lower than the players.

Let's face it, no player in this side can claim to be a senior and if the team curve has to improve, someone has to put his hands up and take responsibility of the current situation and later, that individual can take all the credit for the good days, that surely lay ahead.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=33356

thebest
April 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
One question. We are ready to keep a plyer who's last scores are.... then whats the problem bringing in some of the middle age player who i can guarantee's will score more then him. Few names : rajin, Alok. Why can't we bring in one of those and make him captain. certainly they won't do worse then him! there is no worse he is in the bottom.

I think ash lacks intellect and that is posing more pressure on him.
I know I would rage wrath of T_E, Sohel but I am ready for a HB's regular 10 then occasional 30 from Ash. Though many one disagree with me i belive a captain should not only be judge by the score he made but also from his on field and off field activity.
I tend to agree with the bold part. We need a temp captain who would just keep the sit warm for Sakib, little Mushy, Rajjak or who-ever come into consideration. Pls relive pressure from Ashraful. if considering HB as backward then bring back Rajin. This is coming from a fan who consider Rajin as JO version 2. Alok is poor man's Ashraful.

RezOne
April 22, 2008, 12:55 PM
The problem is that no one is capable of filling the captain's role at the moment. I know Sakib seems like the correct choice but he's not ready and he's far too young to be a captain. In a few more years I think he should be ready unless his career goes downhill. We need veteran presence in the team and unfortunately we have a couple of kids just running around like headless chickens. I think Mohammed Rafique should consider a return the national team as the captain. I think we sorely miss his presence and he seems to have good relationship with the other players.

bdchamp20
April 22, 2008, 01:21 PM
As I see it if we HAVE to get rid of Ashraful, we have 2 choices, make Mashrafe the captain or bring back Pilot to the team and make him captain, Seeing Mash limp off the field was very discouraging but I saw some positives while bowlers are bowling he goes to them and gives them advice, pats them in the back and unlike Ashraful he knows what he's talking about...Pilot on the other hand did really well with Rajshahi Division in the last NCL considering they didnt have superstar players in their squad, and if I'm right he's captain Shurjo Torun as well, right? They're doing well arent they?

mali007
April 22, 2008, 01:45 PM
As I see it if we HAVE to get rid of Ashraful, we have 2 choices, make Mashrafe the captain or bring back Pilot to the team and make him captain, Seeing Mash limp off the field was very discouraging but I saw some positives while bowlers are bowling he goes to them and gives them advice, pats them in the back and unlike Ashraful he knows what he's talking about...Pilot on the other hand did really well with Rajshahi Division in the last NCL considering they didnt have superstar players in their squad, and if I'm right he's captain Shurjo Torun as well, right? They're doing well arent they?
I Agree.

Yasin
April 22, 2008, 03:16 PM
Bucnor is your Mama and not Dada? Then how old are you Yasin Mama?:-D

Well, have read perhaps more than 40 times in 40 different glossy magazines that Life begins at 40. If that is true, then I will be born 22 years later. :)

Bucknor mama was just an attempt to showcase Bucknor as young, energetic, enthusiastic person in the prime of his youth. Will refrain from calling him mama again.

Happy, Fazal Dada? :-p

WarWolf
April 22, 2008, 03:26 PM
Bucknor mama was just an attempt to showcase Bucknor as young, energetic, enthusiastic person in the prime of his youth. Will refrain from calling him mama again.

Happy, Fazal Dada? :-p
Bucknor is too old to be called like this. He has developed a chalshey in his eyes. I strongly oppose any attempt to call him mama or dada. He should at least be called grand-grandpa.....

Dhruvo
April 22, 2008, 04:10 PM
yes he should, and asking for the replacement i believe it should be shahriar nafees

Murad
April 22, 2008, 04:23 PM
I blame the BCB for all this.

They didn't groom Ashraful as captain. They groomed SN as future captain but he was off-form and got dropped.

They made Ash VC for only one series and then they given him the captain's role.

This was the biggest mistake done by the BCB. They should've kept Bashar as the captain for another 2/3 series before giving Ashraful the captaincy. This would have given him a lot of experience of on-field and off-field.

Now he will be fired as captain. New captain will come in. New captain might fail and will be fired again. THis process will be continued. Mark my word. Because we are not grooming the right person for the captaincy. They made Mash the VC and if they give the captaincy to Shakib, Shakib will fail. Cuz? Cuz he doesn't have experience. He should have been the VC in the first place when ASh took the captaincy.

Tigers_eye
April 22, 2008, 04:38 PM
1) I would freak out had bashar been captain for few more series.

2) What could Ash learn from Bashar that he has not already? You haven't read any of his interview lately I guess. had the dailies didn't mention the name "Ashraful" I swear I would have thought it was Bashar talking. And the field settings nowadays seems so similar.

Murad
April 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
He could learn some off-field stuffs. HB was superb off field captain. But He was a crap as on-field captain

Nafis_BD
April 22, 2008, 05:06 PM
I blame the BCB for all this.

They didn't groom Ashraful as captain. They groomed SN as future captain but he was off-form and got dropped.

They made Ash VC for only one series and then they given him the captain's role.

This was the biggest mistake done by the BCB. They should've kept Bashar as the captain for another 2/3 series before giving Ashraful the captaincy. This would have given him a lot of experience of on-field and off-field.

Now he will be fired as captain. New captain will come in. New captain might fail and will be fired again. THis process will be continued. Mark my word. Because we are not grooming the right person for the captaincy. They made Mash the VC and if they give the captaincy to Shakib, Shakib will fail. Cuz? Cuz he doesn't have experience. He should have been the VC in the first place when ASh took the captaincy.

Ditto.

What's the point of changing the captain if the new captain fails? Then you are just changing from c aptain to captain and wasting all these players career. They get chosen as the captain, they fail, they get dropped but we are not getting anything out of this. Instead it's harmful for our team!!

Gowza
April 22, 2008, 05:17 PM
hopefully they groom shakib to be captained, i think it's clear he's the man for the job in the future as long as he can keep his place in the team of course. let shakib establish himself at the international level then have a few good seasons then give him captaincy. i agree with others who say what's the point in changing captaincy if the new captain is just going to fail? if that's the case then it's more likely to ruin 2 careers (ashraful's and the new captain) rather than just one (ashraful).

unless they bring in an old timer like bashar or pilot (realistic for tests imo assuming he wants to play on for a few more years) changing the captain will be pointless and possibly career wrecking.

Dhruvo
April 22, 2008, 08:41 PM
I dont know whether anyone else noticed it but whenever habibul bashar captained bangladesh our team had an effort , there was something in his captaincy that kept our hopes alive but unfortunately not in ashraful's captaincy.

zainab
April 23, 2008, 03:32 PM
I hope BCB can start grooming Ashraful. They pushed the captaincy on him without adequate preparation and now he is failing. I hope they do something quickly. Send him to a few workshops. Seek help from another country. They are not blind, I hope to see that Ashraful is struggling but he does not want to admit that it is an added burden.

Eshen
April 24, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think lack of grooming is least of Ashraful's problems, the guy simply does not have the brain to lead a team in international stage.

al-Sagar
April 25, 2008, 07:53 AM
Ditto.

What's the point of changing the captain if the new captain fails? Then you are just changing from c aptain to captain and wasting all these players career. They get chosen as the captain, they fail, they get dropped but we are not getting anything out of this. Instead it's harmful for our team!!

ahrafool is not captain material. so he is bound to fail.

let somebody a captain material installed. whether he fails or succeeds its then upon the team.

LateCut
April 25, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ash is an ignorant and inarticulate fool. He does not represent us well on or off the field. He seem to have a 5th grade education level and it shows when opens his mouth (see his recent comment upon his return from Pakistan). He should be relieved of the captaincy and the batting spot should he fail without the burden of added responsibility. He could go back to the club team in England if they want him back which I doubt.