PDA

View Full Version : Bring Rafique back

Ibrahim
April 24, 2008, 11:20 PM
At least, everyone will be agree with me that after excellent world cup performance the quality of Bangladesh team is significantly degraded. No doubt, there are many reasons for that, but it is not hard to say that wrong policy of the BCB is responsible for the current situation. Some members of BCB are responsible for that. There are two main issues are discussed below:
<o:p> </o:p>
(1). Number one mistake is kicking out all of the seniors, including: Rafique, Bashar, and Masud. Their presence is very important not only for performance, but for utilizing their experiences. They can guide newcomers, according to the situation is the field. This thing is severely missing in the current team.
Forget about Bashar and Masud, could anyone please give me a single good reason why Rafique is not in the team against <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pakistan</st1:place></st1:country-region> series. No matter, who is the opposition, Rafique can reduce 20-30 runs with his excellent quality bowling. If he was in the team against <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Pakistan</st1:country-region></st1:place>, then it would be difficult for Pakis to get record runs.
(2). Number two mistakes are selecting Ashraful as a captain. He is a very immature/wired kind of person. Every day he does the same mistakes by giving away the wkt in similar fashion. He never learns. His confrontation and criminal act against the fan (garments employee) is enough to judge how wired Ashraful is. I think, instead of this wired guy, Rafique or Habibul should have been the captain.
There are many other reasons for the degradation of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> performance, but these two are the most important. If current, BCB really wants to improve the quality of BD cricket, then they should bring back at least one or two experience players for a while. I think, Rafique is the perfect person to bring back in the team. Still, he can contribute a lot to BD team. However, the frustrating thing is that some of the present selectors personally do not like Rafique. They are successful by kill Rafique’s carrier.

:hairpull::hairpull:.

jeesh
April 25, 2008, 03:34 AM
Good post Ibrahim, i agree with your views- however its time to move on. Rafique cant lead our spin attack forever. With that in mind we need to develop our next 4-5 spinners- many of whom are very capable in international standards but need the right amount of grooming. Perhaps we could start to involve guys like Rafique to groom our next generation players. We lack mentors- big time. Rafique might not be a get example off the pitch at times- but theres plenty he can offer to our spinners. Even Harbhajan came to him for tips if i am not mistaken.

crikfreak
April 25, 2008, 03:51 AM
good post ibrahim.. and we do need some experienced player.. now.. we can't just let these youngsters handle the team.. they are ruining everything and anything that bangladesh cricket ever had.. we need a few experienced ones to guide these youngsters.. someone who won't loose their patience like ash or aftab or any of the guys.. someone who can cool things down when things get out of control.. once these youngsters grow up a little.. they can lead the team themselves.. you can't expect a bunch of 19-25 year old guys to be very patient and make the right decisions without an older player in the side to support them.. we need either rafique or bashar or both of them back.. for a while at least..

al-Sagar
April 25, 2008, 04:00 AM
well. i dont think we should bring rafique back.

its time for somebody like razzak or rubel or may be the young shuvo to step up and do the job.

jeesh
April 25, 2008, 04:26 AM
Crickfreak i know what you mean. We lack players in the 25-32 age group- players who have years of first class and A team cricket behind them. We also lack a captain who can lead from the front and inspire. In terms of bowling though we fare better than our batsmen. Bringing Rafique isnt an option- its time to look at our other options for the betterment of BD cricket.

The_Yorker
April 25, 2008, 06:28 AM
Very good posting Ibrahim. I totally agree with you. It was too early to kick out Bashar, Pilot and Rafique. We needed them for another 2/3 years to groom the youngsters.

jeesh
April 25, 2008, 06:58 AM
Not just Bashar, Pilot, Rafique all the players in the era of Mehrab Hossain, Shahriar Hossain, Al Shahriar, Ehsanul Haque, are totally forgotten. Its as if the career span of our cricketers is from 18-24/25. When our players underperform we chop and totally let go. Some perform well in the Domestic League and get recalled, but most totally lose their confidence and motivation. Instead had we involved these players in more A team matches to regain form and confidence it could have been a different story for us. Thats what we should do now with the likes of Nafis Iqbal, Rajin Saleh, Kapali etc

The_Yorker
April 25, 2008, 07:30 AM
Because BCB board and selectors don't have a set of rules to select player for national team. They have different rules to select different players. When Pilot did excellent in recent NCL first class match, selectors gave an excuse that Mushfique the golden boy was a better choice, because they were grooming for the future, then Mushfique was droped- what happened to grooming for the futhre? But when they picked Shahriar Nafees, the excuse was that his past record was excellent, so he should be given a chance even though he was doing bad in his recent games. It is true for all the players whether Bashar, Rafique, Mehrab, and others- they have different rules for each player to drop them from the squad. This is our BCB management/selectors who talk big, but without vision, mission and certainly without fairness. We need youngsters, but we also need some senior players to groom/guide them. Ashraful may be a senior player but he is very immatured in captaining the team, forget about guiding the youngsters.

WarWolf
April 25, 2008, 08:01 AM
Why not bringing Shujon, Nannu, Athar back?

Ibrahim
April 25, 2008, 08:19 AM
Why not bringing Shujon, Nannu, Athar back?

Rafique is a gifted player. However, he never gets proper support from BCB. He was almost kicked out from test cricket. WarWolf’s posting has the similar tone to deprived Rafique what is done by the current selectors.
Shujon, Nannu, and, Athar are great players, but they are not compare able with Rafique. His present fitness level, wkt taking capacity, economic run rate per wkts, getting quick runs are better than most of players of current player of BD team. Rafuiqe just played last home series, how come you compare Rafique with Shujon, Nannu, and, Athar. We should not generalized with everything.

WarWolf
April 25, 2008, 08:31 AM
Rafique is a gifted player. However, he never gets proper support from BCB. He was almost kicked out from test cricket. WarWolf’s posting has the similar tone to deprived Rafique what is done by the current selectors.
Shujon, Nannu, and, Athar are great players, but they are not compare able with Rafique. His present fitness level, wkt taking capacity, economic run rate per wkts, getting quick runs are better than most of players of current player of BD team. Rafuiqe just played last home series, how come you compare Rafique with Shujon, Nannu, and, Athar. We should not generalized with everything.
Brother I don't have any propaganda against Rafique. He is one of the most valuable players Bangladesh ever produced. But we must not forget that age is catching him. As per Cricinfo his current age is 37 years 233 days today. People personally know him says he is at least 3 years older than that.

I really doubt he may not be able to deliver now as he has always done. He has been a fighter throughout his career. Let him pass his retired time peacefully.

This is not a solution. The problem is with the cricketing structure. Unless you change a lot of things in local cricket, i don't see any upgrade in performance at all.....Bring back some middle aged players in the team like Rajin. Prepare fast bouncy green wickets. Plans must be made for long terms..... Otherwise the result will be the same.

Ibrahim
April 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
This is not a solution. The problem is with the cricketing structure. Unless you change a lot of things in local cricket, i don't see any upgrade in performance at all.....Bring back some middle aged players in the team like Rajin. Prepare fast bouncy green wickets. Plans must be made for long terms..... Otherwise the result will be the same.

Everyone will agree with you to improve the local structures, infrastructures, long-term planning, and preparing green wickets. But there are some other problems aside from these.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Why BD played bad in the home ground or similar wickets in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pakistan</st1:place></st1:country-region>? This is not for the green wickets for sure. <o:p></o:p>
In addition to other improvement we need mentors, or one or two experience players. Having all immature kids in the team doest solve the problem, no matter how you improve the local cricket infrastructures. <o:p></o:p>
Like “stupid King” please don’t kill all old people from country, because they are old and are not able work. We need their wisdom. A kid might be very innovative, but they lack wisdom. We need mentors in the field that is missing right now in the BD team. BCB killed all experienced players. Even, for short-term we need them. <o:p></o:p>
Rafique might be 37yrs old. But, he doest have any fitness problem. He could be in the team for a while. We are totally missing his intangible services. <o:p></o:p>

Fazal
April 25, 2008, 10:01 AM
First thing first.

To bring him back Rafiq needs to recommit to international cricket amd "Un retire" first.

Let him do that first. Only then BCB can bring him back or fans can demand him in th team.

Now only thing Rafiq's Fan can do is Request Rafique to recommit to international cricket amd "Un retire" himself. When he do that, the rest will take care of itself.

Ajfar
April 25, 2008, 10:32 AM
rafique BCB er upore onek raag...amar mone hoi or paye dhorlew ekhon o firot asbee..

Fazal
April 25, 2008, 10:41 AM
rafique BCB er upore onek raag...amar mone hoi or paye dhorlew ekhon o firot asbee..

Well the fans who wants him badly should break the ice and prove everyone that they really want him by doing that first step... i.e. Rafiq-er "paye dhore onakey Onuroth kora... Rafiq Bhai Please un-retire for the sake of the country" and lets see what happens. At that point the ball will be in BCB's court. Now the ball is in Rafiq's court or I would rather say out-of court or out-of-boundary.

Unless Rafiq un-retire and no body tries to brake the ice... I don't see how its going to happen. Offcically BCB cannot officially retired player in the team.

Miraz
April 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
Fazal, the sequence of events should be opposite.

If BCB feel Rafique is required for Bangladesh cricket, they should request Rafique to make him available again. Without BCB's request and assurance, Rafique will never come back from his retirement.

Fazal
April 25, 2008, 11:17 AM
Fazal, the sequence of events should be opposite.

If BCB feel Rafique is required for Bangladesh cricket, they should request Rafique to make him available again. Without BCB's request and assurance, Rafique will never come back from his retirement.

You got it the half of it.

Sure they (BCB) can request, but you know it and I know it that current BCB will not do that... its not going to happen unless new group comes in BCB. Definitely not the way the farewell happened. The goodwill bridge is pretty much burnt (from BCB point of view). They are not going to take that initiatives. And legally they are safe as officially Rafiq retired.

So whats the fans can do?

a) Protest and demand change in BCB's personnel.
Thats is not going to change anything unlit new government comes.

b) Request Rafiq to "un-retire" and and if he does, request/demand BCB to consider is inclusion.

That is also not going to happen.

Bottom line, whether we like it or not... that chances of his comming back is close to NULL.

Gowza
April 25, 2008, 06:09 PM
i think pilot is the only discarded older player who can help much and only in the test team at that. the others will be gone in a year because of age or aren't good enough anymore. ehsanul haque i'd say is one older player worth giving a look, people have said he's got bad technique but he's one of the few players with a whole lot of domestic experience and has been able to maintain a decent average over a very long period of time.

i don't see much point in bringing rafique and bashar back because we'll be in the same situation as we are now in a year so we may as well deal with it now and tbh bashar probably won't add anything to the team that a young player can't.

Isnaad
April 25, 2008, 06:36 PM
I agree with Ibrahim. we need the seniors back. No more kids play.

Dhruvo
April 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
I wish we had rafique in the team to but what can we do if he doesnt right?,ithink about it,i think he is doing the right thing by giving more time to his family than cricket and i support that because family comes first ,imagine yourself in rafiques position , but yes i would be good even if he plays cricket.

CricTiger
April 26, 2008, 10:27 PM
I wish we had rafique in the team to but what can we do if he doesnt right?,ithink about it,i think he is doing the right thing by giving more time to his family than cricket and i support that because family comes first ,imagine yourself in rafiques position , but yes i would be good even if he plays cricket.

I also would like to blame the system, which did not find a player in advance to fill up the gaps. I know it's hard to find a player like Rafiq still this should not be the excuse. What happened to Rubel, which Rafiq praised a lot? How about Enamul Jr? Why we keep loosing talents? I believe we are bringing them in to the team prematurely and thus ruining their career. Sending seniors home and ousted them from the team did not work or will never be working unless you find a pool of players who are good and competetive. The team becomes too young and less competitive because of the pressure and mental toughness. Cricket is a mental game.The sooner we understand this the better team will be.

desirocker
April 26, 2008, 11:17 PM
let's have a petition to bring back Rafique and Pilot

bdchamp20
April 27, 2008, 06:42 AM
I have a feeling that Pilot will return to the test team...

Humbug
April 27, 2008, 06:53 AM
Who is pilot?

bdchamp20
April 27, 2008, 07:42 AM
Who is pilot?
Khaled Mashud Pilot

WarWolf
April 27, 2008, 08:14 AM
Who is pilot?
A person who drives the plane....

mshakir56
April 27, 2008, 08:41 AM
No point going back to the past lets work towards future.

BANFAN
April 27, 2008, 08:58 AM
A person who drives the plane....

Or pulling a Rickshaw in Sylhet ... !