PDA

View Full Version : No Sakib for the triangular series

sadi
April 29, 2008, 01:51 PM
The all-rounder from Khulna, who made a splendid hundred after a brilliant half-century during the five-match series, skipped training as he has decided not to play the upcoming triangular tournament because of his HSC examinations while Razzak is now involved in the ongoing Indian Premier League for the Bangalore franchise.

"I have already talked with the board officials regarding my examinations and sent them a letter by citing leave to complete my academic obligations which will start from May 29. It would not be possible for me to play the series because my exams will continue during the tournament," Shakib told over phone yesterday.

Chief selector Rafiqul Alam, who was present during the national players' bleep test along with Naimur Rahman, said that they have yet to get any information from the board regarding Shakib's absence.

"Actually the board will decide whether they will let him go or not. We still have not received anything from the board," said Rafiq.

The Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=34425)

Miraz
April 29, 2008, 01:56 PM
Good luck Shakib.

sadi
April 29, 2008, 01:57 PM
Ekta player form e chilo, oitao gelo.

SS
April 29, 2008, 01:58 PM
Good luck to Sakib...now who replaces him HB!
Razzak dhaliwood chere bollywood...what if he doesn't get a single match..can he take Ash with him too to provide refresments

Miraz
April 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hopefully it will make way for Mosharraf Rubel, he should be given more opportunities to settle in.

sadi
April 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hopefully it will make way for Mosharraf Rubel, he should be given more opportunities to settle in.

I really don't want to see him against the teams like India or Pakistan who plays spin better than other sides. I would pick an extra batsman like Rakibul.

Isnaad
April 29, 2008, 02:15 PM
Good luck. Try your best Shakib. But what about cricket........ Bangladeshi player der kichu khela shikhae jao.

sadi
April 29, 2008, 02:25 PM
But atleast good to see someone giving priority to their studies.

Isnaad
April 29, 2008, 02:28 PM

Yes

BANFAN
April 29, 2008, 02:32 PM
Good.

Will be a test for the team. If they are capable of competing as a team, they should be able to do it without Sakib.

mali007
April 29, 2008, 02:39 PM
Best wishes ! We will miss you in Triangular.

nayan
April 29, 2008, 03:01 PM

Bull **** Or Mone Hoi kono boro khep ase.

akabir77
April 29, 2008, 03:32 PM
Bull **** Or Mone Hoi kono boro khep ase.

please don't comment on something that you have no proof of...

For your info he didn't even play the primary league for any big teams as he wanted to study for the exam. That shows character. wish every one could follow his foot step instead of running behind money...

TomalCA
April 29, 2008, 03:32 PM

Yes

i donno what positive side you guys have seen in it. i find Sakib's stepping out for the HSC exam stupid.

he has been in national team for quite sometime and he will be there for a long time unless something serious happens. whats the point of wasting time for studies now? he will not make any big in study for sure.

this is probably pure Bangladeshi mentality that you have to have some so called institutional degree to be a 'gentleman' no matter how big success you have achieved in other field.

look at the big players of India, Pak etc. how many of them completed their college education? yes, there are few like Anil Kumle etc but most of them concentrated in cricket and left school as soon as they get chance in any level of national team.

IMO just completing SSC is enough for players, actors, singers etc who have much better future in other field.

tanvir_nus
April 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
imran khan who went to oxford?

TomalCA
April 29, 2008, 03:41 PM
imran khan who went to oxford?

true but that was loooooooong before :-D

those days, players were not as busy as they are today.

also i am not 100% sure but i read somewhere that Imran got call for Pak team while studying in Oxford, not that he was in the team when he first joined Oxford.

Eshen
April 29, 2008, 03:53 PM
There will be always people who will fail to realize the importance of education. Glad to see Shakib is not one of them.

ialbd
April 29, 2008, 04:09 PM
the SSC/HSC/college for players is not a backup plan in case their playing career doesnt end up as planned....

education makes one a better person, and will hence make a better player. Shakib has all the potential to be the future captain of BD, and he'll definitely be a better captain than Matin.... atleast Shakib wont resist to "learn".....

Ajfar
April 29, 2008, 04:14 PM
otta boi...sakib..gud luck...

cricket_pagol
April 29, 2008, 04:25 PM
Sakib made the right choice... i am happy for him.

meazz1
April 29, 2008, 04:26 PM
I am glad you have chosen the right path.
Playing Cricket for BD will not bring any satisfaction in the long run, likely!

nasimul
April 29, 2008, 04:29 PM
Good luck to Sakib.

tanvir_nus
April 29, 2008, 05:16 PM
true but that was loooooooong before :-D

those days, players were not as busy as they are today.

also i am not 100% sure but i read somewhere that Imran got call for Pak team while studying in Oxford, not that he was in the team when he first joined Oxford.

it's quite the opposite, he kind of left pakistani team to study in england. And although I think there are many successful examples "today" of successful cricketers who didnt go through the college or university, there are many who become something in life and then excel in cricket. And to be something in life, you need education, well atleast thats the normal convention.

AsifTheManRahman
April 29, 2008, 05:17 PM
There's nothing wrong in stepping out of national duty for a bit for academic purposes if you can afford to.

BD-BLAST
April 29, 2008, 05:39 PM
Education is an asset to a traveler, it goes where ever the person travels

Snowman
April 29, 2008, 07:27 PM
Kudos for giving priority for education. Not only will it make him a better person as other members mentioned, but will make him a better candidate for the leadership of Bangladesh Cricket and also an ambassador for the country.
Knowledge is Power

Dhruvo
April 29, 2008, 07:33 PM
Well thats good,i belive shakib should focus on his studies for now because cricket might be his passion but education is his future!

Murad
April 29, 2008, 07:34 PM
i donno what positive side you guys have seen in it. i find Sakib's stepping out for the HSC exam stupid.

he has been in national team for quite sometime and he will be there for a long time unless something serious happens. whats the point of wasting time for studies now? he will not make any big in study for sure.

this is probably pure Bangladeshi mentality that you have to have some so called institutional degree to be a 'gentleman' no matter how big success you have achieved in other field.

look at the big players of India, Pak etc. how many of them completed their college education? yes, there are few like Anil Kumle etc but most of them concentrated in cricket and left school as soon as they get chance in any level of national team.

IMO just completing SSC is enough for players, actors, singers etc who have much better future in other field.

Do you study??

If you do, then why do you study??

To become a better person right??

Shob manusherii shikkha dorkar. hok shei ekta player or ekta farmer. Shikkha chara kichui hoi na... Cricket e aro beshi beshi shikkha lage.. Shikkha thakle player der kono sudden decision nite difficulty face korte hoi na..

Education should be the first priority in a person's life.

kalpurush
April 29, 2008, 07:47 PM

Unfortunate and sad...from a BC fan.:o

kalpurush
April 29, 2008, 07:49 PM
Do you study??

If you do, then why do you study??

To become a better person right??

Shob manusherii shikkha dorkar. hok shei ekta player or ekta farmer. Shikkha chara kichui hoi na... Cricket e aro beshi beshi shikkha lage.. Shikkha thakle player der kono sudden decision nite difficulty face korte hoi na..

Education should be the first priority in a person's life.
Rightly so, bro.:D

kalpurush
April 29, 2008, 07:53 PM
the SSC/HSC/college for players is not a backup plan in case their playing career doesnt end up as planned....

education makes one a better person, and will hence make a better player. Shakib has all the potential to be the future captain of BD, and he'll definitely be a better captain than Matin.... atleast Shakib wont resist to "learn".....
In all the warm-up matches he showed how good he is as a captain. I really want to see him as BD captain in future. All the best to him.:-D

Ajfar
April 29, 2008, 08:51 PM
let's say life is all abt money...so pplz go to school/college so they can get a job and make money.... n if someone can figure out a way to cut out the middle part (which is going to college) and make money..then why bother going to college...that makes sense.....but not everyone follows the same philosophy...in this case sakib can concentrate on his education and learn...which will help him grow as a person and as a player

al Furqaan
April 29, 2008, 08:59 PM
personally, whilst i am in theory pro-education (i hate going to school myself), this speaks volumes about our cricket. its like lebron james saying to the cavs, "i think i should sit out the playoff series against washington so i can re-take the SATs."

a pro athlete is a pro athlete, i.e. education is not in their destiny.

but best wishes to shakib on and off the field.

Gowza
April 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
well an education is good for anyone even pro athlete's. everyone needs a back up plan imo, what if his cricket career doesn't pan out for whatever reason? also even if he has a long cricket career what happens after that? you still need money to live so i don't mind this move by shakib, my only question is couldn't they accomodate his education schedule around his cricketing schedule? i'm pretty sure in other countries most educational institutions will accommodate people like pro athlete's so they can do both without overlapping too much. i'm talking about exams obviously, couldn't they have been scheduled away from a national team series? i'm not saying schedule everyone's exam according to that but i'm surprised that shakib can't sit the exams at another date which doesn't overlap with a series.

PoorFan
April 30, 2008, 12:23 AM
... a pro athlete is a pro athlete, i.e. education is not in their destiny.

but best wishes to shakib on and off the field.
A kid is a kid, i.e. he needs to grow up before set up his destiny. In every other country ( mostly ) going to high-school is a mandatory, which is equivalent to our HSC. So, in a way he is going to get the bottom level standard ( of education ) compared to develop country. If we were talking about PhD or MS then I would understand the point.

Lets pray his best and success.

Mahir
April 30, 2008, 12:35 AM
its like lebron james saying to the cavs, "i think i should sit out the playoff series against washington so i can re-take the SATs."

Lebron's situation with the Cavs is not exactly similar to Sakib's with the BD national cricket team. Cleveland won't have a face without their King, but same cannot be said about Sakib obviously. And as a North American following major league sports here, you should know better what actually a playoff series means to a professional athlete here. Sakib is not exactly skipping the World Cup cricket's Second Round matches to sit for his exams.

ATMR said it best...

There's nothing wrong in stepping out of national duty for a bit for academic purposes if you can afford to.

All the best for Sakib :up: He's got all the potential to be the role model for BD's young cricketers of the future.

BANFAN
April 30, 2008, 01:13 AM

U can be sure, he wasn't in the team before he went to oxford.

Education is good, it can increase one's self esteem to perform even better in his career.

BANFAN
April 30, 2008, 01:23 AM
I think, BCB might propose him a dusra; shortcut solutions;

Sickbed, Proxy or ..... !!

niroshu
April 30, 2008, 03:43 AM
21 yrs ei HSC ditese.
dabbba marse koi bar?
lollllllllllllllllllll

are beta ashraful re follow kor
bechara khelar loiga porasuna saira disilo

zahid
April 30, 2008, 04:41 AM
Ekta player form e chilo, oitao gelo.

These players are young. They have academic commitments. Should they throw it away for cricket?

Not everyone wants to be TTMF Aashrafool.

Antora
April 30, 2008, 05:09 AM
I heard about this on the news. I am happy the fact that he is giving education his first priority and i wish him all the best for his HSC exams. But then....a team with out Moyna pakhi? is that possible :(

BANFAN
April 30, 2008, 05:13 AM
................ TTMF Aashrafool.

Whats TTMF ?? Just TT would do as well

crikfreak
April 30, 2008, 05:51 AM
good for sakib.. i'm proud of him.. atleast someone is giving education a priority.. i will miss him in the triangular series though.. but still.. best of luck.. i think studies is an important part of life.. even when you are a cricketer..

i can't imagine a series with out our moyna:(.. but its a right decision by him..

mehedi
April 30, 2008, 06:57 AM
21 yrs ei HSC ditese.
dabbba marse koi bar?
lollllllllllllllllllll

are beta ashraful re follow kor
bechara khelar loiga porasuna saira disilo

ha er karone bechara na karo kotha bujte pare na bujaite pare

anyway good luck to sakib for his exam

Miraz
April 30, 2008, 07:03 AM
Whats TTMF ?? Just TT would do as well

I think TTMF is the acronym for Tainna Tuinna Matric Fail (TTMF). :)

Now the matriculation exam is replaced by SSC, but still it's very common word in Bangladesh.

jeesh
April 30, 2008, 07:05 AM
Thats noble. Respect, although i see BCB trying to convince him to play. Do any of our players have jobs? Here in Sri Lanka many of the cricketers are working at top places.

Fortuner
April 30, 2008, 07:47 AM
appreciate wht shakib has done.
studies shld go along with cricket.
who noes if he is highly educated smday, he can b a gud commentator in intl cricket for us.we require smguys who r gud in english to carry us at intl label.Gud luck Shakib!!!!

mehedi
April 30, 2008, 08:41 AM
good for sakib.. i'm proud of him.. atleast someone is giving education a priority.. i will miss him in the triangular series though.. but still.. best of luck.. i think studies is an important part of life.. even when you are a cricketer..

i can't imagine a series with out our moyna:(.. but its a right decision by him..

i agree

right decision by moyna

Kabir
April 30, 2008, 10:26 AM
Academic obligations should be considered more than anything else - even professional sports. If BCB wants to do something, they can try and make sure that Sakib passes the exams...and welcome him back to the team with open arms after the exams are overe.

lamisa
April 30, 2008, 11:21 AM

what you want another murkho in the making,like ash?comeon,cricket chharle tarpor ki korbe?

lamisa
April 30, 2008, 11:25 AM
Thats noble. Respect, although i see BCB trying to convince him to play. Do any of our players have jobs? Here in Sri Lanka many of the cricketers are working at top places.

i think ash works for beximco.i am very happy for moyna.education should be their priority.best of luck,pakhi!

Sovik
April 30, 2008, 11:27 AM
Good luck sakib

Protic
April 30, 2008, 11:28 AM
Well goodluck to him then..! I wudnt mind seeing bashar in the team.. ODI yes..

auntu
April 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
Good luck Saccu

and plz no ...... no rubel... he has no quality to bowl against IND n PAK

Murad
April 30, 2008, 02:06 PM
plz no ...... no rubel... he has no quality to bowl against IND n PAK

Actually none of our spinners are good enough for international matches.

None of our spin bowlers can turn the balls like spinners from other countries.

Razzak, our main spin bowler, cannot spin the ball as well.

Rafique could spin the ball but hes not in the squad anymore.

Enam can do it too but he's out of the squad as welll.

Rumz_01
April 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
aaaw bless him! well wa can u do?
wish him best luck for him exams.. and hope for the best for the rest of the team...!
can we atleast try to make out its not a one man team..?

Shobha
April 30, 2008, 03:57 PM
i didnt know he was still in education.
so what about the rest...odher pora shuna nai?

bujhee kom
April 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
porashona kore je
spacecraft chore shey!

best of luck to you - hasan bari-r chele tumi, stand korte hobe, ongke ekdom shentury kori felo!

fant-astic

Nocturnal
May 1, 2008, 02:08 AM
Good luck Sakib.

thebest
May 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
Good Luck. Hope one day you would be our Mike Brearly - the captain's captain. But I would be more than happy if you become a M Atherton. Those who are complaining why he is going for education I would say all most all the great captains are highly educated. Brearly is a doctorate in psychology, Artherton and Imran are Durham and Oxford blue, Saurav and Jardin are product of highly acclaimed English Public School system. We are Sakib's captaincy. The education would help him to be a better captain

Miraz
May 1, 2008, 08:35 AM
Good Luck. -------------------------------- We are Sakib's captaincy. The education would help him to be a better captain

Exactly!

You cannot expect a good cricket player, let alone a good captain with an empty upper chamber.

Talent will always remain latent with an empty upper chamber.

simon
May 1, 2008, 12:08 PM
It's true that without Sakib it's going to be hard but
study is quite important. Sakib took the right decision & he's setting up a good exemple for our young cricketers & generation.
Good luck Sakib.

Rabz
May 1, 2008, 12:46 PM
Sakib would definitely be missed.
He has been one of our better performers in the recent matches.

I hope the other allrounders really pull thier socks to fulfill the gap.

cricketboy
May 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
Shakib has done the right thing by choosing his exams over the tournament.

KnightBD
May 1, 2008, 07:12 PM
Best of luck Sakib in exams. :up:

DotBall
May 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
Good luck Sakib, cricket can wait.

zainab
May 2, 2008, 07:06 AM
i think ash works for beximco.i am very happy for moyna.education should be their priority.best of luck,pakhi!

How can Ash be working? If he is, he must have a very generous and understanding employer. I thought that he was a full time cricketer with a salary from the BCB who I thought is his employer. He has no time with the present schedule of domestic and international cricket being played.

Kabir
May 2, 2008, 08:30 AM
Shakib has done the right thing by choosing his exams over the tournament.

Exactly my thoughts. :up:

Eshen
May 24, 2008, 03:02 PM
Looks like Sakib inspired our two bolods to give education another try.

[বাংলা]উচ্চমাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষা দিচ্ছেন আশরাফুল-আফতাবও

ঢাকা, ২৪ মে (বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম) --- তার কলেজের গন্ডি পেরোনোর কথা ছিল ২০০১ সালে। কিন্তু সে বছর এপ্রিলে জিম্বাবুয়ে সফরের বাংলাদেশ দলে জায়গা পাওয়ায় সে যাত্রা তো হয়ইনি। একের পর এক ব্যস্ত ক্রিকেট সূচীর কারণে পরের সাত বছরেও আর উচ্চমাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষা দেওয়া হয়নি মোহাম্মদ আশরাফুলের। তবে এবার আর 'মিস' করছেন না, সামনে গুরুত্বপূর্ণ ত্রিদেশীয় সিরিজ থাকার পরেও ২৯ মে থেকে শুরু হতে যাওয়া উচ্চমাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষা দেবেন বলেই পণ করেছেন বাংলাদেশ অধিনায়ক। এখানে তার আরেকজন সঙ্গী আছেন বলেও শনিবার বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম-কে জানালেন, "উচ্চমাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষা শুধু আমিই দিচ্ছি না। আফতাবও (আফতাব আহমেদ) দিচ্ছে।"

তাদের আরেক সতীর্থ সাকিব আল হাসানের মতো অবশ্য সাধারণ শিক্ষা বোর্ডের অধীনে পরীক্ষা দিচ্ছেন না আশরাফুল-আফতাব। কারিগরী শিক্ষা বোর্ডের অধীনেই বাংলাদেশ দলের এই দুই তারকা ব্যাটসম্যান উচ্চমাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষায় অংশ নিতে যাচ্ছেন। অলরাউন্ডার সাকিব পরীক্ষা দেওয়ার জন্য ইতিমধ্যেই বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেট বোর্ডের (বিসিবি) কাছ থেকে লম্বা ছুটি নিয়ে ফেলেছেন। এজন্য ৮ জুন থেকে ভারত-পাকিস্তানকে নিয়ে আয়োজিত ত্রিদেশীয় সিরিজেও খেলছেন না বিকেএসপির ছাত্র সাকিব। তবে আশরাফুল ছুটি নিচ্ছেন না বলেই নিশ্চিত করলেন, "না, আমরা ছুটি নিচ্ছি না। খেলার সময় পরীক্ষা থাকলে ছাড় পাবো।" সেটা কী রকম? এ প্রশ্নের জবাবে বললেন, "খেলার দিন কোনো পরীক্ষা থাকলে ওই পরীক্ষাটা পরে সুবিধাজনক কোনো সময়ে দেওয়ার সুযোগ দেওয়া হবে আমাদের।"

সাত বছরে যে পরীক্ষাটা দেওয়া হল না, এবার সেটা দেওয়ার জন্য উদ্যোগী হওয়ার কারণ জানতে চেয়ে অন্য এক আশরাফুলকেই খুঁজে পাওয়া গেল। যিনি ক্রিকেটের পাশাপাশি পড়াশোনাটাও ভালোভাবে চালিয়ে যাওয়াকে ভীষণ গুরুত্বপূর্ণ বলে মনে করছেন, "ক্রিকেট ক্যারিয়ার শেষে কিছু একটা তো করতে হবে। এজন্য পড়াশোনা করা জরুরী। উচ্চমাধ্যমিক পাসের পর পড়াশোনাটা সিরিয়াসলিই করার ইচ্ছে আছে।" [/বাংলা]

http://www.bdnews24.com/bangla/details.php?id=27482&cid=26

AsifTheManRahman
May 24, 2008, 03:25 PM
How can Ash be working? If he is, he must have a very generous and understanding employer. I thought that he was a full time cricketer with a salary from the BCB who I thought is his employer. He has no time with the present schedule of domestic and international cricket being played.
Not to mention that he doesn't have the brains either; unless his job involves counting money, which all Bangladeshis and circus monkeys would qualify for.

BANFAN
May 25, 2008, 05:04 AM
Looks like Sakib inspired our two bolods to give education another try.

[বাংলা]উচ্চমাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষা দিচ্ছেন আশরাফুল-আফতাবও

http://www.bdnews24.com/bangla/details.php?id=27482&cid=26

/:)/:)-"Achilam Boka Holam Buddhiman" :)

prantika
May 25, 2008, 08:11 AM
]21 yrs ei HSC ditese.
dabbba marse koi bar?

that is what i have been wondering all this while....he 21....n giving HSC now!!!!....
ummm....probably because he did not get enough time to give to his education.....but that makes little sense!
[QUOTE]are beta ashraful re follow kor
bechara khelar loiga porasuna saira disilo[QUOTE]
oh yes...janno...jokhon sha future a BD vcaptain hoya ASHRAFUL AR MOTON ENGLISH A SPEECH DAI AR AMRA AIKHANA BOSHA THAKA TAR UPPOR THREAD KHOLA ,DISCUSSION KORI...TAI NA?...
it would be really nice to see well educated n good english players in our team....
"knowledge makes a person refined.....enables him to understand values and morals of this world"...
ALL DE BEST MOINA!!!....

BANFAN
May 25, 2008, 08:43 AM
]
it would be really nice to see well educated n good english players in our team....

?? :doh:

bujhee kom
May 25, 2008, 11:25 AM
moshjide ekta milaad mahfil ebong huzoor-er pora-pani dorkar!

prantika
May 26, 2008, 01:57 PM
BANFAN
Test Cricketer Join Date: March 27, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by prantika
]

am very sorry!
it was suppose to be...."n good english speaking players in our team..."

Fazal
May 27, 2008, 02:00 PM
n good english speaking players in our team..."

....then we also need fans with good english language to support their players.

But what I am not sure is "do you really need to know really good english language to get a good education in lower level ( 1to 12th grade) ? Even you go for higher studies, does he really needs to know english VERY WELL? Can he get by with Bangla or German or Japaneese?