PDA

View Full Version : Siddon's latest inteview[5/12/08]

djnaved
May 11, 2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=OTgwNzc=&mid=OA==

best quote from the interview" jara asha korechilo amra pakistan ke harabo, tara cricket shomporke kichu jane na, cricket bojhe na"

ashraful pak series shuru howar agea bolchilo " asha kori amra ontoto duita match jitbo"

asholei ashraful cricket shomporke kichu bujhe na, jeneo na

ausbangfan
May 11, 2008, 04:47 PM
translation?

dash
May 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
he is not gonna get us any where

desirocker
May 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
glad u post it man. i was about open a thread for it. It's really confuse what's he trying to do with our team. he sounds like he's doing pre-coaching.
It's like taking a pre-test before a student takes a final exam or something.

Kabir
May 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
translation?

What djnaved said is: in the interview he (not sure, Siddons? didn't watch the interview) said "whoever expected us to win against Pak don't know anything about cricket"

Djnaved's comment: before the Pak series, Ashraful said that we should win at least two matches...and in that case, based on the observation above by Siddons, Ashraful doesn't know anything about cricket?

Pundit
May 11, 2008, 08:56 PM
he is not gonna get us any where

Exactly where is it that you want to go ?

Foozy
May 11, 2008, 08:58 PM
Someone please either translate it to English or Banglish lol

ehteshamul
May 11, 2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=OTgwNzc=&mid=OA==

best quote from the interview" jara asha korechilo amra pakistan ke harabo, tara cricket shomporke kichu jane na, cricket bojhe na"

ashraful pak series shuru howar agea bolchilo " asha kori amra ontoto duita match jitbo"

asholei ashraful cricket shomporke kichu bujhe na, jeneo na

Shocking!

From what I figured out from the Interview it clearly appears that he does not have belief in our team's quick progress as he says he never expects us to win the World Cup in 2011!

He expects us to improve step by step from Position 9 to 8 to 7.

Siddons mentions one did not expect to win any match against Pakistan so when the result ended with a five zero loss he was not surprised at all!

He criticized our Press and People for expecting much without being realistic.

Siddons also thinks that our wins against big names in the past was no big achievement as it was achieved in a span of many years.

Now tell me buddies if a person says all these things and given the Full Authority to coach a team what do you expect?

In the best interest of our nation and people I suggest BCB should carry out a survey amongst selected segment of people of their choice to vote on Siddons in following options.

Do they want Siddons to continue as Head Coach? Check YES/NO

Do they want Siddons to continue as Batting Coach? Check YES/NO

Do they want Siddons to continue as both Head and Batting Coach? Check YES/NO

Do they Want Siddons at all? YES/NO

Siddons is not realizing that what he said if it is true tantamount to destroying the expectation of Players of team and that of the entire nation as well.

If he cannot get results for us -WINS , it is going to jeopardize our cricket status. Who will be responsible then?

I do not know how we can progress with such low expectations and negative thinking.

Eto dekhchi Amader Lal Bati/Barota Bajiye Charbe.

I am literally very upset and shocked!

desirocker
May 11, 2008, 10:26 PM
the balddu don know anything about ur cricket. In his interview he said Ash had 3 centuries and all 3 centuries were match winning.
o god. so funny

nahaz
May 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
Siddons said we've played 15-20 matches since he came. Since statistically we win one in every 30 matches there's still another 20 matches to go( someone can't add). he said we're no.9 Pakistan's no.5. Um...that doesn't prove anything. Only 4 spots difference.
I agree there's a big gap between Bd and the top 7/8. but It's cricket , and disciplined performances can and should mean one in every 5-10 matches should be won. I agree winning once against Australia doesn't prove were good that much more than Kenya going to semis meaning they could ever play. But we now have players with good enough techniques and talent. We surely can expect more wins.

I also agree it's not practical for us to win the 2011 World Cup. Nor would winning it mean we're the best team. Remember how India kept getting hammered after winnig the WC (apparently)? But if Kenya can go to a semi-final with only 6-7 fimilies playing cricket in the country , why can't we?
<b>I keep hearing **** about ranking , and how we're bound to lose...I wanna know exactly what he's doing to change it? Like spending lotof time with Ash and co. in the nets? To tell us we'll lose, we can hire a palmist. To tell us why we lose,we can hire a psychologist? So, what's this bolod's duty? Someone explain to me.</b>
P>S Maybe being a bit patriotic.

tonoy
May 12, 2008, 12:03 AM
Oh great, first we get an optimist and then we get a pessimist. Oh well, I still think we should give them the full two years before we evaluate.

Eshen
May 12, 2008, 03:41 AM
Siddons is trying too hard to downplay improvements the team had shown during Whatmore era so that the team's failures during his (Siddon's) tenure won't look so bad. With such negative comments (especially the last one), I think he is making it hard for our young players to keep up good morale.

BanCricFan
May 12, 2008, 05:25 AM
Siddons is either a Bolod or a Shiyal!

al-Sagar
May 12, 2008, 08:27 AM
So u think siddons should look to win the WC in 2011 ?
Now my question is 'is that a realistic target to achieve for us'
And also how Many other test nations believe that they can build a team to win to WC in 20111

Miraz
May 12, 2008, 08:58 AM
Siddons is trying too hard to downplay improvements the team had shown during Whatmore era so that the team's failures during his (Siddon's) tenure won't look so bad. With such negative comments (especially the last one), I think he is making it hard for our young players to keep up good morale.

Could not agree more.

clueless
May 12, 2008, 09:09 AM
i think Siddons is just being realistic!! i think the amount of negative attitude he showed or expressed..i think thats about the right amount and our players and the fans deserve to hear it..i just donno wat the big fuss is...

all he is trying to say is we r just bunch of losers and now we need to break away from the losing phase..the way he expressed it might be a little to much negative..but everyone in the past have said that we are doing good and we are going to do better..but Siddons is saying that we are horrible and have to do good!!

Ishtylish cricketer
May 12, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah I agree we are crap and the results were not shocking but is it not his job to fix that? If you get paid by your employer to get some things done you owe that person better explaination than explainations that can be given by some 7 year olds. If he's plan is to make the players realize they're **** and break their egos so they'll work harder and will want to improve...he doesn't jack about Bangladeshi mentality. Somehow this isn't working out the way I hoped it would.

Tigers_eye
May 12, 2008, 09:38 AM
So u think siddons should look to win the WC in 2011 ?
YES
Now my question is 'is that a realistic target to achieve for us'
YES
And also how Many other test nations believe that they can build a team to win to WC in 20111
All 8 of them should. If not, they should not participate in the WC.

Motivation is a tool that can change a person, a team, a company (an organization), a country/nation, finally mankind. Negativity has no room in my understanding.

Miraz bhai,
(BCB Heads/contact) email ektao tho PM korlen na? Ki? amarey pochonddo hoi na?

thebest
May 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
I am disappointed to say the least. When he was telling us that team show improvement by scoring three 200+ score, why interviewer did not ask opposition three 300+ score. In DW era it rarely happened. After reading the interview I just have a hunch he came here for easy money. If we do not target for WC win we would not achieve even reach the second round. He is too much over emphasizing Ashraful's importance in our win. There is difference between realistic and downright pessimistic. Unfortunately he is last one.

Fantastic
May 12, 2008, 10:25 AM
Australians r always supposed to have positive attitude. Has he been in Bangladesh 2 long already 2 have this negative attitude?

SS
May 12, 2008, 10:48 AM
Australians r always supposed to have positive attitude. Has he been in Bangladesh 2 long already 2 have this negative attitude?

Australians are always have positive attitude with Australians and similar mentality players...BD cricket administrators, public and BD players fall in no category near that.

Fazal
May 12, 2008, 11:00 AM
.... as if being positive and day dreaming about 'ga ga land' will solve our problem.

We have done that for soo long and thats why we are where we are.... we live and breath for ' jodi laigga jai' and all wait for two eid days all year long and line up for free food like miskins and when we get some good food twice a year we all play and celebrate and thread them as national hero.... and then dream for next eid every day.....

... how dare Siddon say ... there will be no eid for a while? How dare Siddon say we are no good? How dare Siddon say we are vagabond ? How dare Siddon say there will be no free food... we need to work hard for it... we need to earn it?
He just broke our heart... he hurt our feelings.... be broke our players' feeling..... now they lost their confidence......

Akhon mamader ki hobe? Ki debey...Magna Eider Khabar?

nasimul
May 12, 2008, 11:04 AM
If
1) 200+ runs in three matches considers as a big achievement
2) Our only aim to play cricket is to make 200+ runs
3) It is unfair to wish a win against a test playing nation

Then I think this target is very much achievable without a coach so why spending so much money on him?

meazz1
May 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
200 run statement is just horse ****.

what if the other team scores 350+, and we are just happy with our 200.
the bottom line is, we need to be competitive.

SS
May 12, 2008, 11:38 AM
.... He just broke our heart... he hurt our feelings.... be broke our players' feeling..... ?

heart breaker...Siddons tumi amader erokom cheka dite parle...Aei tomar bhalobasha...

Tigers_eye
May 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
heart breaker...Siddons tumi amader erokom cheka dite parle...Aei tomar bhalobasha...
bhalobasha noi, eta obhinoi. bhalobasha'r obhinoi.

crikfreak
May 12, 2008, 12:16 PM
i'm disgusted and deeply dissapointed by what siddons said..

djnaved
May 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
I don't know for what reason the coach, BCB, Captain, Players, Selectors are looking for wining the world cup in 2011. Don't they have brains? They should think about present time, not future.

Cricket is taking the path of football

We can hire atleast 10 bangladeshi coach for the team instead of siddons. If they work together, then the team will be strong enough. $ 20,000 a month is a lot for any cricket coach..

Pundit
May 12, 2008, 03:50 PM
Looks like people like natoks more than reality!

Why are we missing the point here ? I don't think he ever said anything to the effect of us not being able to win any more games..er at a rate of 1 per year. He simply has a more well rounded goal - that everyone improve !

In that way, we will put up 240 more often, and that will surely raise theodds of our winning more than once every year.

Fazal
May 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
Clueless Siddon and our heart broken player....

http://a6.vox.com/6a00bf76d09e10438300c2251debfe8e1d-500pi

Eshen
May 12, 2008, 06:02 PM
BCB have refused to question Siddons why he thinks scoring 200+ in ODIs (where opposition scored 300+) is an improvement, although Ashraful got in trouble for making similar comments.

http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=OTgyMzk=&mid=OA==

Fortuner
May 13, 2008, 08:15 AM
Siddons approach is not bad but i doubt it helping the players. BD players wont learn it the tough way Siddons is tryin to. He is a typical Australian and ofcourse he would try to make our boys learn the game the hard way to be a world class team.
Our BD boys, if are able to cope up with Siddons way of teaching would b a gr8 thing but hw much mentaly strng are they? or they require some1 like Whatmore who is rather always praising and all???
players in my perception would do gr8 under siddons way n actually need siddons way to teaching as they wld improve are
Tamim
Zunaed
Aftab
Mash
Riyad
Rajib
Others such as Ash and may nt improve as i think they cant cope up wid Siddons way of coaching

Tigers_eye
May 13, 2008, 08:24 AM
players in my perception would do gr8 under siddons way n actually need siddons way to teaching as they wld improve are
Tamim
Zunaed
Aftab
Mash
Riyad
Rajib
Others such as Ash and may nt improve as i think they cant cope up wid Siddons way of coaching
lol, manush china ato shohoj kaj na. 5 match'a 57 run koira jei comment charey, ei shob player'der kisu shikhano jabey na.

DotBall
May 13, 2008, 11:26 PM
At first I was not happy to read the interview but after some thought I think Siddon was targetting the fans and press. He wants to bring the expectation of the people and press to an realistic level. We are number 9 ranked team and quick success is not realistic eventhough it is not impossible. So far we have not done anything impossible on the cricket field but we are a good side.
I don't think he had put down the players or their moral by any means. Rather he is trying to protect them from media scrutiny and unrealistic expectations from the people. Players need the time and space to develop themselves.
If we bring in another coach who is willing to talk big and make us dream big (i.e. winning worldcup in 2011) may be we will be happy for another year but that will be the farthest extent we will go. Again it will be back to zero. A fundamental development is required in our cricket culture and a firm grip on the realistic goals. Winning a lotter is a chance with a very very low probability. No one can plan for the future based on the assumption of winning lottery.

BANFAN
May 15, 2008, 01:05 AM
Every situation is an experience for the team and will insha-Allah yield positives in the long run.

Another Ausie (GC) spoiled the Indian cricket team's world cup dream and ripped the team apart. At the end they came up strong, currently they are one of the formidable side.

Hope something positive will come up from the ongoing demolition of the player's morale. :-) Let the players disagree with him and revolt to prove it with the bat and ball in the upcoming tri series, that we can win against Pak.

I completely agree with T_E, we must prepare to win the world cup. Even if we fall short, that will be respectful. If we aim to make 200+ only and fail, we stand no where. That's why a team must aim at the highest achievement.

Fazal
May 15, 2008, 09:21 AM
Siddon may (or may not) be part of the problem. But he is not the root cause of our problem. Just look at our so called superstar's performance in the local league. Siddon was not involved. But how come a team full of all those so called stars and star wannable get humiliated against a mediore team even in Bagladeshi standard. Yes I am talking about Mohamedan vs Abahani game.

The real problem lies in our cricket culture and how we worship and pamper our national players and look for scapegoat for our star player's failure.

Wake up folks.... players like Ash, Aftab is not coachable..... with or without Siddon..... its too late for them to change. They are spoiled to the point that if they stay in the team longer, they will spoil the younger players in the team also. You need to get rid of somebody? Then fisrt thing first.... dump those spoiled players and send a message to the young players.....playing musical chair game with coach will not solve your problem..... if you need to "musical chair game", then do it with the players with some clear understood rules how/why a player sill be dropped and how/why a player can be brought back. Without that team will continue to be a 'Hatari Bazzzar'

Pundit
May 15, 2008, 01:02 PM
Fazal bhai - I agree with you 99% ! But just look at our fans here - smearing the coach left and right. That approach is the lazy man's approach - easiest way out from all the mental distress.

Why I agree with you 99% and not 100% - "The problem lies in our cricket culture..." you say. I say the problem lies with our culture....

crikfreak
May 15, 2008, 01:11 PM
maybe siddons is doing all this for the teams good.. maybe he wants the players to prove him wrong.. maybe.. he wants to get the team all charged up to prove him wrong and win a match rather than demoralize them.. this kind of thing does work in life.. when you tell a person something about them is not good.. or they cannot do a certain something.. they want to prove you wrong.. so they try hard.. and DO prove you wrong.. they don't just get demoralised and do nothing about it.. maybe that is siddons tactics.. if i'm right.. i hope the team wins a match soon.. and siddons has improved a few players.. he just needs everyone to act like a team.. they need a team effort..

every cloud has a silver lining.. i'm just searching for the silver lining in all this..

Sohel
May 16, 2008, 01:18 AM
The ODI matches we won against the top 8 were won on the pitch and fairly. We out-played the opposition with great results. Sadly, our inability to replicate those performances in subsequent matches took the shine off of what our boys achieved quicker than necessary. These are the simple facts.

Here are a few more facts since Coach Siddons' arrival: -

1) Our fielding, an area we made substantial improvements in and can always improve upon has been going downhill, except possibly slip-fielding.

2) Our traditionally length-oriented, irresponsible batting has been less productive in terms of runs on the board, as our batsmen continue to struggle with finding a balance between their stroke play and "team rule".

It is shocking to witness the continued (ultimately unsuccessful) Gollafication of players like Zunaed, Aftab and Dhiman before they give their wickets away like they've always done.

3) Mohammad Ashraful Matin went from a daring and innovative young captain to HaBa version -2.0 in record time. As a batsman, his shot selection has been as idiotic as ever and his attitude about things in general arrogant, delusional and totally reprehensible.

4) Speaking as a former "trouble-shooter" for a F100 company, too many sabbaticals this early in the process while continuing to flaunt one's comical lack of detailed background knowledge of things that may help one do his/her job better, may not be the way to go.

I want Coach Siddons to succeed and take us to that next level. So IMHO, if Coach Siddons wants our young batsmen to find a balance between their "natural" stroke play and responsibly learning the play through the line delivery according to its unique merit, he too needs to find a balance between being "realistic" and "defeatist".

On a side note, Richard McInnes was both interested in and knowledgeable about the psyche of young Bangladeshi cricketers.

bujhee kom
May 16, 2008, 05:16 PM
i totally agree with fazal mama and pundit bhai! seriously, whether we want to evolve as a society or as a cricket team - we have got to stop finding scapegoats for our own learning dissability, confused and irresponsible attitude! yes siddons hasn't done much good yet, and yes he should be accountable for, but each and everyone of these players and so called stars are responsible for their action, thinking! i know these guys feel bad after each and everytime they screw up and fail badly, nobody wants to perform badly if they are professional athletes, but the question is what happens to them afterwards, what they do about those bad, poor actions on the pitch or field! no siddons, mcinnes or whatmore could save us or carry us to the promise land as long as we have this very immature, unprofessional, childlike mentality!

the problem is in our core! who knows, i wonder about this often, maybe long colonial ruling creates this kind of dependent, fragile and forever broken mentality to people!
here we go - being a bangladeshi i am already looking for a scapegoat for our collective failure as a people! of course everything i said about colonial rules, foreign oppression i truly believe and they do shape a nation's mind, mentality and future hardship - but what are we doing NOW since our independence? is it poverty, natural disasters that holding us back, or what? look at west indies and srilanka, their economy is almost very similar to ours. still they learn better and faster!!!
so who do we turn to? who do we blame now?
and one last thing - we have got to stop fantasizing that we can be 2011 world champion! how? with what ammo? look at our domestic league scores! we can't even make descent scores against our own kind!
and comparing us with west indies - west indies is billion light years ahead of us! yes they are a weaker team now, still they beat south africa in test!!! yes, they have been screwing up a lot, but they still win and fight strong more often!
after all being said, i still believe we are learning, very slowly though, but someday we will be a good cricketing nation (and if i am still alive and following my team's game i won't be holding my breath praying that we don't have a batting collapse any moment)!!!

go bd - my tigers and tigresses!

mafizraju
May 16, 2008, 05:46 PM
Shocking!

From what I figured out from the Interview it clearly appears that he does not have belief in our team's quick progress as he says he never expects us to win the World Cup in 2011!

He expects us to improve step by step from Position 9 to 8 to 7.

Siddons mentions one did not expect to win any match against Pakistan so when the result ended with a five zero loss he was not surprised at all!

He criticized our Press and People for expecting much without being realistic.

Siddons also thinks that our wins against big names in the past was no big achievement as it was achieved in a span of many years.

Now tell me buddies if a person says all these things and given the Full Authority to coach a team what do you expect?

In the best interest of our nation and people I suggest BCB should carry out a survey amongst selected segment of people of their choice to vote on Siddons in following options.

Do they want Siddons to continue as Head Coach? Check YES/NO

Do they want Siddons to continue as Batting Coach? Check YES/NO

Do they want Siddons to continue as both Head and Batting Coach? Check YES/NO

Do they Want Siddons at all? YES/NO

Siddons is not realizing that what he said if it is true tantamount to destroying the expectation of Players of team and that of the entire nation as well.

If he cannot get results for us -WINS , it is going to jeopardize our cricket status. Who will be responsible then?

I do not know how we can progress with such low expectations and negative thinking.

Eto dekhchi Amader Lal Bati/Barota Bajiye Charbe.

I am literally very upset and shocked!

The run of cricket team is not a democracy. Although democracy has proved to work better than any other political systems to runa country, you do not use democratic means to run a company. Neither you use to run a team. Asking all to vote, makes me seem like having same cricket brain just as bulbul or nannu or Lipu. which clearly is not the case.

Most the members of this board including some old guards, are increasingly becoming logicless....

BANFAN
May 17, 2008, 05:44 AM
We defeated all the teams with the same players, we were competing with most of the teams. Why the graph of our performance has gone so down under the new coach? Why the star players (As people say) are not even performing in the domestic? What do you mean by Siddons is not their?

Siddon's has spoiled everyone's game. A player's style of playing cannot be changed at this level. A coach can only try to make him more conscious to play responsible shots and correct some technical errors with bat. But the coach is forcing players to play against their usual instinct. Just emagine, shehwag trying to bat like Dravid or vice versa, does it work or spoil both? That is the reason, they areeven failing to perform at the domestic level.

These type of things can be done at the under 14/15 level, not at this level.

If you are scapegoating our culture or cric culture, that oesn't help. It might make the foreign coaches job a bit difficult, but he was supposed to know about these difficulties, before.

Pundit
May 17, 2008, 03:01 PM
If you are scapegoating our culture or cric culture, that oesn't help. It might make the foreign coaches job a bit difficult, but he was supposed to know about these difficulties, before.

You are assuming that it's called scapegoating - and hence you conclude that it will not help. On the other extreme - it may be called root cause identification, and hence one may conclude that is the source of all problems.

What most of us are really asking here is - why are we not winning per our true potential - which is er...you say 1 game per 12 months. Maybe Mohinder Amarnath was correct - we do try to run before crawl?

I will go any day with a team that learns to bat within a deviation of 40 runs and between 200 - 240 runs ! In that way, every time our bowlers did well, we will win a game.

Pundit
May 17, 2008, 03:06 PM

He was supposed to know about these difficulties - sure, thay are described in Geography books. Our own folks (people like you and me - in denial) don't know about it, and you think a 40 year old Australian will know all about it. But yes, before his stint is all over, he definitely will know of it. And besides, you college boys are always griping how incompetant our politicians are, how corrupt our officals are, how stupid our BCB is....er, what is all that then? Who are all these people, Martians ?

Gowza
May 17, 2008, 04:29 PM
silly to try and blame all of BD's cricket problem's on one person tbh. siddons might be lacking in some area's but so is pretty much everyone else who has anything to do with BD cricket. it's not as simple as saying it's one person's fault, a lot of people are at fault.

Dhruvo
May 17, 2008, 09:54 PM
silly to try and blame all of BD's cricket problem's on one person tbh. siddons might be lacking in some area's but so is pretty much everyone else who has anything to do with BD cricket. it's not as simple as saying it's one person's fault, a lot of people are at fault.
Well,most of the blame is going to siddons because he has been given the most precious and important job for bd cricket,the job of a coach,I mean just look at the team during whatmore , we were so enthusiastic and so well motivated , whenever we played a match we wanted to win just like the real bengal tiger and we used to be a very feared side during his time ,but after siddons arrival our motivation,enthusiasm and team chemistry fell down,why because of his negative comments even though they are realistic but for a young team like Bangladesh you need to have patience and a positive attitude in order to click,and apparently siddons failed to do that and so far has no attempts to change his tactics , yes every one related to cricket in bd has some fault but how can they not have faults if the man in charge is going in the wrong way?

cricket_dorshok
May 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
another (prothom-alo stadium) writing from Utpal Suvro on Siddons
source (http://www.prothom-alo.com/fcat.news.details.php?issuedate=2008-05-18&nid=MjQzNjk=&fid=Ng==)

BD-Shardul
May 18, 2008, 12:55 AM
another (prothom-alo stadium) writing from Utpal Suvro on Siddons
source (http://www.prothom-alo.com/fcat.news.details.php?issuedate=2008-05-18&nid=MjQzNjk=&fid=Ng==)

US pura moner jhal mitay dise.

Gowza
May 18, 2008, 04:00 AM
the coach doesn't get every single bit of power they want, the coach is also controlled by his employer. as for the motivation issue, i'm a strong believer that if you're a professional sportsperson and can't find ways to motivate yourself then you shouldn't be there.

if the players can't motivate themselves it's no wonder they can't develop into world class players. siddons can help motivate them in the short term when they're in a rough trot, but unless they can motivate themselves long term then it's going to be tough to get much better.

i'm not saying siddon's isn't at fault at all, but it's way to harsh to completely throw the blame on one person. being that he's the head coach part of his job is taking responsibility for the teams performance, but that doesn't mean the bad performances are all his fault just like he's not always going to be the reason for good results.

the players shouldn't be paying attention to the media, plus i'm sure, like there is with the players, that there are little birdies in siddons ear telling him what sort of things he should say.

anyway, i don't want to get into a big argument, my 2 cents are that the blame shouldn't go all on one person, whether it's siddons or someone else. valid points for both arguments though, siddons could be more positive but tbh we have no idea what strategy he's going for or if he even has a strategy when he talks to the media and honestly i don't care what he says to the media. at the end of the day i'm going to be looking at the teams performance, which obviously to date isn't good and that's not a good sign for siddons.

BANFAN
May 18, 2008, 05:27 AM

You are scapegoating culture,which is too vague and you can't change culture overnight. Trying to change culture too fast might also be disastrous. You are Pundit, so you may find culture in geography books, I am just Mango-Janata. So I get it everywhere & am living with it.

The cultural aspects of BD as you are highlighting (i.e. corruption, incompetence....etc etc - These are more of crimes than culture though) are not hidden files of Gestapo, natsi, KGB, Mosad & CIA. They are Just open books (Not Geography :-)) in todays world. Go through the TIB, WB, ADB, UN annual reports/country reports, or read news papers regularly or just sit for sometimes in any pan-birir dokan of BD regularly, you will become expert in no time. Problem is with most of the BD people who work in foreign countries, they neither have time & scope to read these documents nor have access to the deshi tea stalls.

But a coach coming from Australia, should do some homework. 10 minutes talk to some of the ex coaches & ausie coaches who were working with BD agegroup teams would have given him a good first hand idea. More over the Indian cultural picture with a little bit morale deterioration is quiet a good first hand knowledge for BD environment. You may not know, but I am sure they know it perfectly. Problem is that, some of them exploit it to their benefit and some try to balance it to deliver his best, or they don't accept the offer to coach BD.

These cultural aspects do affect, but our players were born in this environment and is not something new to them, that suddenly they were so shocked and awed by discovering our culture, that they forgot playing. What's new is the approach of the Coach. He has no knowledge of managing change. If you change everything in your new office overnight; you will definitely loose control and you can imagine what will happen.

He is doing something abnormal and guaranteed to fail, i.e. the effort to change the style of the players alltogether. I am convinced that, it has destabilized the players balance at the moment & JS has no control on it now. They forgot what they were doing and are yet to master the new approach. So they look completely out of touch at the moment. Some might be able to adjust given more time and some of them definitely will be ruined. I don't know if the team can be reset to some predermined restore point.

I agree with you and would also support a team who is consistently scoring within a daviation range of 40/50 every time they go to bat.

Pundit
May 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
He was supposed to know about these difficulties - sure, thay are described in Geography books.

Missed sarcasm !

At the end, to succeed, one has to rise above himself. Once you are playing at the world stage, you cannot let yor own limitations define yourself. That's what is happening.

The truth is, Bangladeshis never earned anything. Even '71 was an Indian gift (ok, let's move to another thread if you want to respond to this).

BANFAN
May 19, 2008, 05:12 AM
At the end, to succeed, one has to rise above himself.

That's how we have achieved all the victories. They definitely have risen above themselves in every occassion.

Once you are playing at the world stage, you cannot let yor own limitations define yourself. That's what is happening.

That's what JS is doing. He tied the players up with some rules and constantly reminding them that, you aren't good enough to win, just try to make 200 runs. JS is reminding us contastantly, 'that's what you are worth'. Where is the scope of those heroics that brought us the victories? How do they rise above themselves?

reyme
May 19, 2008, 07:17 AM
Oh great, first we get an optimist and then we get a pessimist. Oh well, I still think we should give them the full two years before we evaluate.

Why???? Haven't we seen enough? BTW is he already planned his next vacation? Maybe searcing a vacation deal on the net right now...

reyme
May 19, 2008, 07:25 AM
Siddons said we've played 15-20 matches since he came. Since statistically we win one in every 30 matches there's still another 20 matches to go( someone can't add). he said we're no.9 Pakistan's no.5. Um...that doesn't prove anything. Only 4 spots difference. I keep hearing **** about ranking , and how we're bound to lose...I wanna know exactly what he's doing to change it? Like spending lotof time with Ash and co. in the nets? To tell us we'll lose, we can hire a palmist. To tell us why we lose,we can hire a psychologist? So, what's this bolod's duty? Someone explain to me.
P>S Maybe being a bit patriotic.

Spot on mate! You get paid to win, not to talk.

reyme
May 19, 2008, 07:32 AM
His duty is to take vacation. His whole assignment in BD looks like a vacation itself. Live a luxurious life in Gulshan, visit the stadium once in while, give lecture to journalist how this team will never win anything, how should we all needs to be relaistic (29 loss out of 30 matches), go to the maches without any homework about the opposition team, and give one more mind blowing lecture after the loss..repeat and make $25000 tax free per month..

now is there anybody who does not want this job?