PDA

View Full Version : Select your captain for BD

Tigers_eye
May 19, 2008, 01:53 PM
Based on skills, performance and consistancy, age (and/or seniority), motivating and inspiring qualities, choose the captain for Bangladesh national team (Only current players needs to be considered). You can grade each quality up to 5, 5 being the highest number.

Choose your player and justify them by giving them the points.

Tamim:
Skills: 4
P & C: 3
M & I: 2
Total: 10 out of 20.

Ashraful:
Skills: 3
P & C: 2

Abdur Razzak:
M & I: 3
Total: 14 out of 20.

Mash:

Shakib:
Total: 13 out of 20.

SN:
Skills: 2
M & I: 4
Total: 11 out of 20.

I conclude Mash as my captain and Shakib or Abdur Razzak as his deputy. Please add if you want someone else.

I will calculate everyone's points and average them to see what BC's verdict is. So please pariticipate and voice your opinion.

Miraz
May 19, 2008, 01:56 PM
Captain and Vice-captain, will be a good winning combination.
Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim.

Gut feeling, no reasoning. :)

Tigers_eye
May 19, 2008, 01:59 PM

20'a shakib koto pabey? Ar onno player'ra? All six of them. I need numbers. And on mushi's too.

Murad
May 19, 2008, 02:08 PM
Captain for both Test & ODI or just ODI??

In ODI, I want to see Shakib Captaining. Mushy could be his deputy only if he performs good.

In Test, I still want to see Ashraful captaining. We don't have another player to replace him in Test. I know I will be criticized for this comment. :)

Tigers_eye
May 19, 2008, 02:10 PM
ODIs.

Murad bhaia,
score ta dao. 20'a koto? shobar score.

tonoy
May 19, 2008, 02:11 PM
I replaced skills with responsibility

SN(captain)
Responsibility:4

Saqib(VC)
Responsibility: 4

Tigers_eye
May 19, 2008, 02:13 PM
SN(captain)

Saqib(VC)
Thank you. What about others? I need all the scores.

tonoy
May 19, 2008, 02:17 PM
Tamim:
Responsibility:2
Total: 8out of 20.

Ashraful:
Responsibility: 1
P & C: 1
M & I: 1
Total: 7 out of 20.

Abdur Razzak:

Mash:
Responsibility: 1
Total: 8 out of 20.

Tigers_eye
May 19, 2008, 02:22 PM
Folks,
I have a plan. But to fulfill that plan, I need your help. Please take the time to rate the six players plus if you want to add someone else. If you are lazy like ATMR (bangla font) then just give points out of 20 for each six+ players.

(this is just an example and will not be counted :) )
Like HB = 20. :lol:
KM = 19. :-D

Bengaliprince176
May 19, 2008, 02:31 PM
interesting thread! ive always had a feeling ( i have no idea why!) that Shahriar has a captaincy look about him, but he has to perform a bit more consistently, but i suppose so does the whole BD team at the moment!

I'd be interested to know if Rafique ever captained, he was also another guy, who had a feeling about!

niroshu
May 19, 2008, 02:33 PM
poll er eder karoi captain houyar joggota nai.
tai vote dilam na.
poll jodi bashar thakto taile vote ditam.

akabir77
May 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
I chose SN but i would really like to have Rajin, Kapali or Tusher(in that order) to become the captain. AT least they will score 30 runs for sure.

Tigers_eye
May 19, 2008, 02:40 PM
poll er eder karoi captain houyar joggota nai.
tai vote dilam na.
poll jodi bashar thakto taile vote ditam.
welcome to BC.

Enjoy your stay. BC members most of them have been there and done that. They care very little for non-performing players. That is the whole reason why the current captain is in the hot seat. We have been playing with 9 or 10 men for too long against 11.

Fazal
May 19, 2008, 04:52 PM

Agree...amaro gutte same feeling.

BD-Shardul
May 19, 2008, 05:21 PM
Determination and grit need to be added with the current skills.

dash
May 19, 2008, 05:31 PM
hopeless!
may be we can ask the opposing captain,
to do a bit of captaincy/

ialbd
May 19, 2008, 05:51 PM
mushy as vice captain?? I hope ppl are just joking abt it....

I have a good feeling about Sakib, but then again I had a much better feeling about Ashraful-Mashrafee duo.... so rather not vote...

Mahir
May 19, 2008, 06:10 PM
** Mijan uncle, check your total for Razzak

And... Skills = captaincy skills? Thats what I've taken into consideration in my numbers

Here are mine:

Tamim:
P & C: 4

Ashraful:
Total: 9 out of 20.

Razzak:

Mashrafee:

Shakib:
Skills: 5
Total: 16 out of 20.

Nafees:

Rahim:
M & I: 5
Total: 15 out of 20.

VERDICT:

Captain: Shakib
Vice-captain: Rahim

Not just gut feelings, Shakib-Rahim regime should (and would) do better than the Ash-Mash combo. If nothing else, Shakib-Rahim got to have more functional brains than the other 2 bolods.

cricket_dorshok
May 19, 2008, 08:26 PM
Ashraful:
0 out of 20. (I never liked the idea Mohamodon Ashrafool being the captain).

Abdur Razzak:
13 out of 20.

Mash:
16 out of 20.

Shakib
14 out of 20.

SN:
12 out of 20.

My captain: Mash
VC:Sakib

BD-Shardul
May 20, 2008, 12:26 AM
My captain: Mashrafe Mortaza
Vice Captain: Shakib Al Hasan

BD-Shardul
May 20, 2008, 12:26 AM
hopeless!
may be we can ask the opposing captain,
to do a bit of captaincy/

:sick::lol::(:hairpull::D:floor::-D

Foozy
May 20, 2008, 02:36 AM
** Mijan uncle, check your total for Razzak

And... Skills = captaincy skills? Thats what I've taken into consideration in my numbers

Here are mine:

Tamim:

Ashraful:

Razzak:

Mashrafee:

Shakib:
Total: 16 out of 20.

Nafees:

Rahim:
M & I: 5

VERDICT:

Captain: Shakib
Vice-captain: Rahim

Not just gut feelings, Shakib-Rahim regime should (and would) do better than the Ash-Mash combo. If nothing else, Shakib-Rahim got to have more functional brains than the other 2 bolods.

I second those scores by Mahir. Although a performing Ash would have been a dream captain, its not realistic, thus the very low score for Ash.
Sakib Rahim it is... provided Rahim performs.

BANFAN
May 20, 2008, 05:54 AM
Tamim:

Ashraful:

Abdur Razzak:
Total: 12 out of 20.

Mash:

Shakib:

SN:

After unbiased scoring I conclude Ash-Mash as my captain & VC. Means, as it is now.
Ashes only problem is consistency, if he could improve that, he could still be a better captain than anyone else.

Baundule
May 20, 2008, 07:46 AM
Tamim:

Ashraful:

Abdur Razzak:

Mash:

Shakib:

SN:

I voted for Tamim. Everyone gets full marks on age factor, because in captaincy age should not matter. All of them suck in motivation and consistency. tamim is the worst.

Actualy, none of them is a captain material.

Razi
May 20, 2008, 08:23 AM

SN(captain)

Saqib(VC)
Responsibility: 4

Simply agree with u bro. SN and SH combination will be the best...!!!

Tigers_eye
May 20, 2008, 08:30 AM
Thank you Mahir. Got the calculator out. fixed the sum.

++++

If there was any kind of reward for post of the day or week or even a month here at BC, I would nominate "dash"'s post. Simply brilliant.

thebest
May 20, 2008, 09:16 AM
Like Tonoy I would like to replace skill with responsibilty as skill level with the exception Mash all get 0 in their respective major. Also it is difficult to measure motivitional and inspiraional skill unless you are in the team or you saw performance of a team under their leadership. Considering that Tamim, Raj and Mash got 0

Tamim:
M & I: 0
Total: 5 out of 15.

Ashraful:
Responsibility: 0
Total: 4 out of 20.

Abdur Razzak:
Responsibility:3
Total: 9 out of 15.

Mash:
Responsibility: 3
Total: 9 out of 15.

Sakib:
Responsibility:3
Total: 11 out of 20

I am adding SN and Mushy in the list
SN
Total: 7 out of 15

Mushy
Total: 13 out of 20

KnightBD
May 20, 2008, 09:37 AM
I think Mash is the best choice, as Sakib is too young to be the captain at present. However I am sure he will lead the Nat team in near future.

Rabz
May 20, 2008, 12:12 PM
Interesting thread!
Who'd have thought we needed this kinda thread just after a year of Ash's captaincy!
Wouldnt we all have loved to see him reigning supreme.
Alas! us!

I can see why Sakib is a favourite among the members. He's bn one of the better performers in the team with an almost "secured" place with his allrounding abilities.
And thats exactly why I dont want him to be the captain of the team, unless absolutely do not need to.

He bowls his full qouta and usually comes to bat with a huge responsibility and rebuilding the innings et all. You add the burdon of "captaincy" on top of that, we risk loosing his natural performance.

Thats why allrounders and captaincy never been a great mix, albeit few gifted individuals. England tried that with Freddy Flintoff,quiet didnt work out, did it?

Thats the reason i reckon the Saffers chose Smithy over Kallis, even though the former was young and highly inexperienced. They let Kallis do what he does best and become that invaluable player that he is. But then again, probably Kallis was never a captain material.

Sakib's value in the team atm is also probably too good to risk loosing him.

If i had to pick anyone from the given list, i'd go for Shahrear Nafees. He seems to be a matured head, knows how to speak intelligently and overall have a presence in the team.

Only if he could lose that tag of a minnow-basher!
Only if he could regain the form that he was in back in 2006.
...only if....

Ash is surely failing, but im afraid we just dont have enough options to look otherwise.

At this point of time, we'd hv to retain with him.

Tigers_eye
May 20, 2008, 02:21 PM
Not very many response. I thought I would get some overwhelming responses. Was ready to do some calculations. Grrrr!! This was not for the Tri-series. This was for the long run.

Captain dictates how the team would perform and he has to perform as well to get others 100%.

This is what I got from the posts:

Mash (6 votes): T_E, C_D, BD-S, KnightBD.
Shakib (9): Miraz, Murad, Fazal, ialbd (kinda sorta), Mahir, Foozy.
(Current captain) Ash (5): Rabz, BANFAN.
SN (8): Tonoy, Razi.
Rafiq: BP176 (kinda sorta).
Mushi: thebest.
(ex-captain) Bashar: niroshu.
(ex-captain) Rajin: akabir77.
Opposing captain: dash (my favorite choice).
Tamim: Baundule (kinda sorta).
All Suck: Baundule

Fazal
May 20, 2008, 04:07 PM
Its not just fluke that team under Sakib's leadership in recent games does surprisingly good against much stronger team on paper.

BD-Shardul
May 20, 2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Fazal
Its not just fluke that team under Sakib's leadership in recent games does surprisingly good against much stronger team on paper.

Mamu, there is difference between captaining a warm-up game and an international match :-D. Because,as Ash said, international matches are televised, which creates more pressure. Before we appoint a new captain, we need to ask him if he is capable to withstand that pressure.

AsifTheManRahman
May 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
My ratings on a Bangladeshi scale:

Tamim:

Ashraful:

Abdur Razzak:

Mash:

Shakib:

SN:

So it was fun playing this game, but things aren't necessarily as simple as that. We just don't seem to have someone with the right balance of skills. Take Razzak for example - his stats are boosted by his performance, consistency and age. However, I gave him a 3 for M&I because I am not sure he's a good motivator (from what I've seen/read without being anywhere near the team). Compare his M&I to SN's and you'll know what I'm talking about - SN may be a motivator, but he finds it difficult to hold on to his place half the time.

More importantly, I doubt a change in leadership will work like magic. Sure, having a brain full of dung to lead the team doesn't help, but I don't think replacing Ashraful would do much good to the team or the next captain, because no one else seems to be ready, and even if they do most of the things that a captain should do, there is no evidence to suggest that their own game won't suffer, or that they will have the support of the rest of the players (in terms of performance).

Not that I don't want Ashraful to be dropped; it's a difficult situation, really. Would you pick your best player and let him go down the drain, or would you rather stick to the same guy and have to listen to his stand-up comedy day in and day out?

Fazal
May 20, 2008, 06:13 PM
Mamu, there is difference between captaining a warm-up game and an international match :-D. Because,as Ash said, international matches are televised, which creates more pressure. Before we appoint a new captain, we need to ask him if he is capable to withstand that pressure.

They way thing are going Broadcast will be stopped anyway whether BCb wants it or not. Pretty soon BCB will have hard time to convince broadcasters to telecast even free. May be that is the plan all along by our fool so that he can play his natural tension free game.

BD-Shardul
May 20, 2008, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Fazal
They way thing are going Broadcast will be stopped anyway whether BCb wants it or not. Pretty soon BCB will have hard time to convince broadcasters to telecast even free. May be that is the plan all along by our fool so that he can play his natural tension free game.

Mamu, sometimes truth is so harsh, hasmu naki kandmu :(

Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Not that I don't want Ashraful to be dropped; it's a difficult situation, really. Would you pick your best player and let him go down the drain, or would you rather stick to the same guy and have to listen to his stand-up comedy day in and day out?

:( :( :(

BD-Shardul
May 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
May be we can learn something from the golden past: Look below "similar threads" of this thread.

cricket_dorshok
May 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
Mamu, sometimes truth is so harsh, hasmu naki kandmu :(

[বাংলা]চোখের জল ফেলেন। হাসি/কান্না দুভাবেই চালিয়ে দিতে পারবেন।[/বাংলা];)

al Furqaan
May 20, 2008, 07:47 PM
i am willing to give ash and JS 6 more months to prove themselves.

Foozy
May 21, 2008, 01:00 AM
i am willing to give ash and JS 6 more months to prove themselves.

Although I have voted for Sakib for the position, I also agree with a lot of people here, and as I have said before, I still think that Ash would be the dream captain of BD (if only he became more consistent with the consistency lol). Sakib needs a little bit more time, and I think we should hold on to Ash for just a while longer... well unless he continues with his string of low scores, in which case he should be out of the team sadly enough.

Eshen
May 21, 2008, 01:29 AM
It's a no brainer, only player in the team who is mature enough to handle captaincy and who is consistent enough to have secured spots in both ODI and Test teams is Mashrafe, thus he should be the one taking over captaincy.

I am surprised that so many people are suggesting Shakib. Not only Shakib is too young and inexperienced, he is yet to show anything to consider him as a Test prospect.

crikfreak
May 21, 2008, 07:02 AM
captain: Mashrafe
vice captain: Shakib

arifur81
May 22, 2008, 06:18 AM
4 me Sakib 4 ODI and Abdur Razzak 4 test

Spitfire_x86
May 22, 2008, 07:49 AM
Keep Ash as captain. He's not going to perform anyway. Why put the load on somebody else who is at least performing a little more? Replacing Bashar was a different case, because he was finished as a player.

rainmaniac
May 22, 2008, 08:23 AM
shakib-captain
tamim-deputy
but after world cup 2011!