PDA

View Full Version : Do our SLAs over use armers ?

Eshen
May 21, 2008, 11:03 PM
Rafique has taken plenty of wickets during his international career with armballs, but interestingly Bulbul has restricted him from bowling this delivery during the league.
[বাংলা]"রফিককে যেমন বলে দিয়েছিলাম 'আর্মার' দেওয়া চলবে না, এটা ও খুব ভালো পারে জানার পরেও। কারণ আর্ম বল করতে গিয়ে ও কখনো কখনো লেগসাইডে বল ফেলে। ওয়ানডে ক্রিকেটে ভুল করে ফেললে শুধরানোর সময় পাওয়া যায় কম। তাই আমরা কোনো পরীক্ষা-নিরীক্ষায় যাইনি। রফিককে তাই একটা লাইনে বল করতে বলেছিলাম। তাতে দল লাভবানই হয়েছে।" [/বাংলা]

http://www.bdnews24.com/bangla/details.php?id=27333&cid=26
Rafique has not taken many wickets during the league (his teammate Arafat Sunny was more successful in this aspect), but he was sure economical.

Abdur Razzak is currently suffering from the problem that Bulbul's is talking about - sending too many balls in the legside. Dhiman had trouble reading the line of many of those deliveries and let them go for boundaries (bye runs). Abdur Razzak does have a habit of throwing too many armers, and, if Bulbul is right, that's may be the reason he is struggling to keep the ball in right channels. May be someone needs to tell Abdur Razzak to cut down on armballs.

Your thoughts ?

jeesh
May 22, 2008, 12:26 AM
Very interesting post. In my opinion Razzak has started to look more like an ODI bowler in my opinion. Rafique used to use a perfect blend in both ODI's and Test Matches, and his arm ball was much more effective as it was used more sparingly and at the right time.
This is an area where Razzak really has to work hard, because we need him to fill Rafiques shoes. I remember Jahangir Shah Badshah used to tell his spinners to beat the batsmen by flight and guile, and that getting to turn the bowl isnt a priority. This simply rule of spin is what all our spinners need to keep in mind, and what Rafique used to do so well.
I am very optimistic about the impact Kalpage could have on our spinners. He has run some very successful spin bowling camps in Sri Lanka and one of his students was Sri Lankan sensation Ajantha Mendis. Now what we need is someone convincing Banglalink to launch a Spin Bowler Hunt.

Gowza
May 22, 2008, 12:45 AM
everything is important in spin bowling, turn can be a major weapon. take a look at someone like stuart macgill, he wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as he's been at test level if he didn't give the ball as much rip as he gives it. not saying turn is everything as kumble proves it isn't, but i disagree with downplaying turn.

major spin weapons would have to be flight, turn, accuracy and control (hitting the right line and area's consistently e.g. the rough) and the other major part of spinning bowling is guile.

as for razzak specifically well i'm not sure if he uses the armball too much but if he relies on it then he definitely needs to work on his variation because it certainly shouldn't be the only weapon a spinner has and it certainly shouldn't be used so much that it becomes almost a stock ball. as for the accuracy thing and going leg side, i guess it could be the reason, but wouldn't you expect him to be more accurate with it the more he uses it? dhiman not being able to gather it suggests he's either not up to the task as a keeper or that razzak hides the ball and uses is so perfectly that dhiman simply doesn't pick it and therefore isn't ready to gather it.

razzak hasn't been performing too well recently so you might be onto something here.

jeesh
May 22, 2008, 02:05 AM
Yes no doubt ability to turn cannot be downplayed, but its important to develop the basics first. Like you mentioned- Flight, accuracy, control, guile. Once you get those right, you can bowl in any kind of wicket, against any type of opposition.

Eshen
May 22, 2008, 02:10 AM
Abdur Razzak never had much variation in his bowling other than varying line, length, and pace of his deliveries. He is more like a left handed slow medium pacer than a spinner. But, even with his limitations, he was an effective ODI bowler until he developed this worrying tendency of bowling too many deliveries on the legside. And, yeah, most of those legside loose deliveries look like misdirected armers to me.

However, it baffles me why Abdur Razzak is suddenly showing this kind of lack of control, atleast in Rafique's case it can be argued that his old age is affecting him.

AsifTheManRahman
May 22, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'd say it's a bad patch and yes, he does seem to be trying too hard, possibly with the arm ball. He needs to develop more variations because even if he gets the arm ball right 9 times out of 10, batsmen will have him figured out.

sadi
May 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
Against quality international side, simply bowling line and length don't cut it anymore. One deinitely need to have variation and one needs to use it well. Razzak is suffering from lack of confidence for whatever reason and can use a break.

fwullah
May 22, 2008, 11:35 AM
Against quality international side, simply bowling line and length don't cut it anymore. One deinitely need to have variation and one needs to use it well. Razzak is suffering from lack of confidence for whatever reason and can use a break.

On that note, all our experienced and reasonably established players are suffering from lack of confidence for whatever reason and can use a break.

al-Sagar
May 22, 2008, 11:35 AM
rubel has the variations and i think let him play in the triangulars and the asia cup.

a long run in the team will build up the confidence of rubel.

razzak is struggling and needs a break. i think too much opening has unsettled him a bit

BANFAN
May 22, 2008, 11:58 AM
Only Enamul had the ability to turn the ball, but somehow he was neglected and didn't get the right guidance to improve upon his deficiencies. Specially the appropriate line & length.

He could have become a good bowler with a little bit of care. IMO

Murad
May 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
Have any of you seen Shuvo bowling? I think some of the Mohamedan matches shown on TV live.

If you have seen him bowling please tell us if he can turn the ball or not. He's got plenty of wickets in the Premier league. I hope he can turn the ball like Enamul. We really don't have any spinners who can turn the balls.

al-Sagar
May 23, 2008, 12:12 AM
Have any of you seen Shuvo bowling? I think some of the Mohamedan matches shown on TV live.

If you have seen him bowling please tell us if he can turn the ball or not. He's got plenty of wickets in the Premier league. I hope he can turn the ball like Enamul. We really don't have any spinners who can turn the balls.

Shuvo is a good bowler. But i think he should play A team for another year.
I have seen rubel more. And honestly he can be the next Rafiq. Plus when in full confidence rubel has more turn and bounce to fox batsman and offcourse a good armer.
I honestly believe he given good support and chance rubel can be way better than Razzak and enamul

jeesh
May 23, 2008, 01:39 AM
Thats good to hear about Rubel. I was always under the impression Enamul Jnr is the most promising spinner in the ranks. McIness couldnt stop praising this guy. Arafat Sunny also is playing pretty well.

sadi
May 23, 2008, 08:19 AM
On that note, all our experienced and reasonably established players are suffering from lack of confidence for whatever reason and can use a break.

Sure they can. But SLA is the only catagory where we have so many replacement available.

Sohel
May 23, 2008, 10:18 AM
I haven't seen any of our SLAs give adequate revs, or turn the ball well. Enam has his moments with the turn and too young Shaju can do a bit of both, but the typical Bangladeshi SLA just wants to contain the opposition, ODI-style, and lacks the aggression and wile of a Mohammad Rafique to get wickets without relying on the opposition to make unforced errors with the bat.

In the DPCL, I saw both Mosha Rubel and Shubho bowl better from the 2 BTV World televised matches, but the others were typically flat and fearful of giving flight with predictable variations most International batsmen will negotiate easily and successfully. Now, that being the discomforting reality, our SLAs use the armer more often than they should.

We need spinners who can actually spin the ball and script their spells based on the uniqueness of a situation, rather than a formula that worked during the ODI World Cup.

lamisa
May 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
warne is planning to come back for ashes then y cant rafique come back?:(

Nafi
May 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
warne is planning to come back for ashes then y cant rafique come back?:(

Thats not going to happen, unless McGill breaks his leg.

scoilaheez
May 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
The truth is that spinners have natural variation and raj only spins a ball sharply once in every 2-3 overs. Otherwise, he relies on accuracy.