PDA

View Full Version : MacGill retires from international cricket

Sovik
June 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
Stuart MacGill has announced his retirement from international cricket, to take effect from the end of the current Test against West Indies in Antigua. MacGill, 37, has struggled to have much impact in the Caribbean, where he is playing his first Tests since having surgery on his right wrist in December to deal with carpal-tunnel syndrome. He will finish his career with 44 Tests and at the time of making his announcement, he had 207 wickets at 28.43.

Full Story>> (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wivaus/content/current/story/353237.html)

Eshen
June 1, 2008, 03:13 PM
He did the right thing. Will Ponting now eat his own words and call back Warne ?

bdchamp20
June 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
He did the right thing. Will Ponting now eat his own words and call back Warne ?
That is only possible if their reserve spinner Beau Casson fails miserably.

Gowza
June 1, 2008, 04:40 PM
haha, our reserve spinners suck tbh. well i guess they don't completely suck but we don't have any who at the current time look like they can be really successful internationally, whoever we pick will do ok but nothing special, unless they suddenly improve a lot. our next best spinner is bryce mcgain and he's already 36.

anyway it kind of sucks to see macgill go out this way, body is just letting him down. had a great career though so props to the man. i'm glad he's going out while he still has his dignity.

Alien
June 1, 2008, 07:54 PM
McGill was pretty useless during his time. Half the time he was away due to his injuries and rest due to bad form. I don't know much about this Casson.

This thing is a matter of concert for Australia, not just for this Ashes but overall. Warne can probably just help out with this one off series, but after that they have to find someone who is consistent and doesn't screw up his wrist like McGill.

Bringing Warne back is the very last option for Ponting. But to be honest, Warne will be a much much better choice than Casson with all the experience.

BANFAN
June 2, 2008, 06:38 AM
Presence of Warne in the Ausie side, was also a reason for McGil not getting enough matches. 207wkts in 44 matches, isn't that bad. If only warne wasn't there, he would have got a lot of matches to be amogst the greats.

Good, timely decision.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 2, 2008, 08:53 AM
Tale of a player who had lot of promise but lived in the shadow of a greater man. The sad reality of cricket is that only few country seems to be able to nurture rare talents well. Sad to see him leave. He was a great leggie and it was exciting watching him bowl. What a lot of people don't realize about McGill is that he actually had more turn than Warne and bowled a better googly. I hope he's still around the game in the future to pass his knowledge and the art of wrist spin.

Rabz
June 2, 2008, 11:32 AM
He served his country well WHEN he got a chance to.
Bad luck for him he played in Warne era.

Nafi
June 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
He turns the ball remarkably, even late after his prime, but its obvious, he is just too old, nowadays the guy struggles to bowl 3 good length deliveries in a row.

I think michael Clarke should bowl much more, he has a great (probably unintentional lol) armball.

And yeh australia need to really get a class spinner soon!

Alien
June 2, 2008, 09:33 PM
This is 2 very contradictory statements. Earlier in the week, Warne says he would like to come back during Ashes if there was unavailability of spinners ("Stuey broke his wrist"). Now that Stuey is gone permanently for good, some James Sutherland from Cricket Australia says:

While Darren Lehmann and Kerry O'Keeffe feel Warne could make a successful comeback, James Sutherland, Cricket Australia's chief executive, believes he has heard the final word.

"I am in Mumbai and I let Shane know that Stuart was about to announce his retirement," Sutherland told the Sydney Morning Herald. "Shane was very clear on the subject: he said that not only is he very happily retired, but also that [a comeback] is the furthest thing from his mind. So that would seem to be the end of that."
Link to news (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/353402.html)

The people who run Cricket Australia are a bunch of crackpots who are trying to sabotage this team since early days. They tried to get rid of Steve Waugh when the guy was in his top form just because of his age, and now twisting facts to prevent Warne's return for one off Ashes.

I hope this guy faces the axe if Australia loses to England this Ashes.

What's keeping Australia alive is the fact that this team doesn't rely on one person. Warne has been MIA for one and half year already and the teams performance has been same since then. McGill was gone half the time because of injuries and Brad Hogg failed to fire up in many instances. Australia's bowling attack relies 70% on fast bowlers like Lee, Clake and Bracken and the powerful batting line up to compensate for any bowling blunders.

Bengaliprince176
June 3, 2008, 06:19 AM
he was always in the shadow of Warne, but he was a great player nevertheless. he was lucky, he got a lot of wickets when wanre was banned for a year, imagine if warne hadnt have been banned!

James90
June 4, 2008, 10:28 AM
The people who run Cricket Australia are a bunch of crackpots who are trying to sabotage this team since early days. They tried to get rid of Steve Waugh when the guy was in his top form just because of his age, and now twisting facts to prevent Warne's return for one off Ashes.

Haha yeah. Cricket Australia are terrible, they're responsible for us being so far down the world rankings...oh wait.

For what it's worth Warne did say he may consider a return for the Ashes and Sutherland said he'd need to earn his selection by performing in the domestic competition. Warne basically responded to that with "na can't be bothered". Apparently he's got several business deals to do in the next 12 months as well as making appearances in celebrity poker tournaments.

Having said that I'd give Warne everything I own if it meant he played the Ashes. We really are that desperate for a decent spinner.

RazabQ
June 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
Gilla monster can do his wine shows ;)