PDA

View Full Version : Shahriar Nafees Ahmed: A Personality Profile

Sohel
June 2, 2008, 07:07 AM
SN to some, Mofees to others, I like Abir a great deal.

He shines consistently, albeit against the non Top 8, when others simply cannot.

He plays most of his shots safely along the ground with class, now has a compact enough defense, and always looks good before edging his wicket back to the opposition keeper or slip fielder. Slotting him at number 4 or 5 is a possible solution that continues to elude the powers that be.

It was great to see his fielding improve quite a bit before falling on its face.

Not a successful captain in domestic cricket by a LONG shot, the classic combination of this Josephite’s old hairstyle, smart looks and ability to speak better English somehow still makes him the prime candidate for captaincy in the alleged minds of some of his almost groupie-like fans, despite the fact that it was the premature vice-captaincy that started the downward spiral after a spectacular start to his career.

Some people just cannot deal with the fact that cricket belongs to everyone in Bangladesh, not just the English medium elite of the city.

In fact, I think our best players will continue to emerge from semi-rural small towns in Rajshahi and Khulna Divisions with a few Chittagonians and possibly Sylotis here and there, while the city elite explore recreational use of drugs, both legal and illegal, and Holly/Bollywood-inspired khyatami and metrosexual idiocy..

Disclaimer: many people are responsible for the following construct. There are mysterious contradictions, and unrealized potential for undiscovered interests inherent in every personality, and the profile reflects that.

One always has the option of accepting what's in the profile or not, but whatever YOU do, allow me to suggest a bit of creative thinking and free association to relate some of the things to his cricket, and finally -- a grain of salt ... :)

He gets bored with the status quo and is generally open to new things and ideas. An individualist and a free spirit, his friends are quite important to him as long as they do not try to tie him down by making too many emotional demands.

His thoughts can be offbeat and a bit eccentric, but not always very changeable. As a matter of fact, he can be quite stubborn at times.

Very fair-minded when dealing with large groups or broad issues, He’s not always emotionally sensitive to the needs of individuals. Extremely objective, with good powers of observation, he would be qualified to study technical and complicated subjects, like science or computer programming.

Affectionate, warm and friendly, life must be a "beautiful" experience for him. Unpleasantness should be avoided at all costs. He tends to overlook other people's faults and he would rather give in than fight.

He is uncomfortable with strangers, but at ease and sociable with friends and associates. Indeed, he would rather socialize than work -- he can use his prodigious charm to avoid unpleasant tasks.

He needs the support and assistance of others in order to get started on any new project – he is not a self-starter. He needs to be careful of a tendency to be overly self-indulgent (i.e., lazy). His refined aesthetic sensibilities attract him to music, dance, art and any other cultured activity.

He is a careful thinker, very cautious and conservative. He is quite skillful at organizing, directing and planning activities.

Practical and useful things interest him -- he is not attracted to abstract thoughts or ideas. With his tendency to be highly focused and very goal-oriented when he’s in the mood, he can have a good head for business. But he needs to be aware of a tendency to be narrow-minded, dogmatic and moody.

His sense of humor tends toward being earthy and slapstick crude.

He’s very aware of the need to maintain a high sense of morality in a relationship. His loyalty and interest will remain constant in any relationship (either friendly, personal or business) that is based on fairness, honesty and justice. But he will become greatly hurt and disappointed if the other person takes any but the high road with him. Also, he cannot tolerate anyone being overly emotionally possessive of him. He is known for his friendly, outspoken manner to those he knows.

His likes and dislikes are strong and intense, never casual or superficial.

He is known for his persistence and willful obsession. Once he has decided on a course of action, he can be unstoppable.

His emotional actions tend to be extreme, although he tries to keep them muted. He is not quick to anger, he does slow burns.

He needs to be aware of his tendency to hold grudges and to be vengeful. When fights, or release his internal tensions, he does so body and soul -- he become totally passionate and his outbursts are awesome to behold.

He tends to feel that the only results that are worthwhile are the results that are concrete and demonstrable. He distrusts abstract solutions and appreciates measurable achievements.

An excellent organizer and planner, he’s optimistic as well as practical and realistic about what can and what cannot happen. Very responsible, he considers it a personal weakness to be wrong about anything. This can make him appropriately cautious.

He’s very efficient but tends to be cool and detached.

He releases emotional energies only very reluctantly. This is partly due to his fear of what horrible calamity might occur should they be released -- his emotions are terribly complicated and intense.

He must try not to repress these energies entirely, however, or he will succumb to negative and destructive forms of compulsive behavior. He needs to give himself the freedom to look awkward or silly once in a while. The relief he’d feel will be quite therapeutic and the embarrassment (whether it is real or imagined) will pass quickly.

tonoy
June 2, 2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks Sohel. A really nice read.

Sohel
June 2, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hehe, I knew you'd be the first one to post a comment here Tonoy.

Glad you enjoyed it, Happy B-Day again BTW ... :)

Tigers_eye
June 2, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thank you Sohel bhai. It matches 80% with SN I know. The rest 20% was new to me which matches with his up bringing. Go Army Brat!!

Nocturnal
June 2, 2008, 09:23 AM
Good read Sohel bhai!!:)

Hopefully final game of the season tomorrow,eh!! :D

Sohel
June 2, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hopefully final game of the season tomorrow,eh!! :D

INSHALLAH bro !

It's about time the Cup comes home to Hockeytown for the 11th time, 4th since 1997. The last 6 years have been painful to say the least.

SHOW NO MERCY, LEAVE NO DOUBT !

MOTOR CITY MUSCLE BABY !!

thebest
June 2, 2008, 11:55 AM
good read Sohel Bhai.

lamisa
June 2, 2008, 12:03 PM
nice sohel bhai,he is a lot like kapali nd ash at some places.

sunny747
June 2, 2008, 12:22 PM
i still wonder, where do you get all your materials from? just by seeing them on TV?
i guess you can be a very good shrink. hehhe
nice article though. i read all your post with great interest . not many quality posters are here these days.

Murad
June 2, 2008, 12:33 PM
Not a successful captain in domestic cricket by a LONG shot, the classic combination of this Josephite’s old hairstyle, smart looks and ability to speak better English somehow still makes him the prime candidate for captaincy in the alleged minds of some of his almost groupie-like fans, despite the fact that it was the premature vice-captaincy that started the downward spiral after a spectacular start to his career.

Great Article SOhel bhai. Thanks.

I always knew he's not a captain material.

He just know how to give a great speech in English. He knows how to talk, which most college students do. That's all.

He might become a great batsman in the future but not a captain.

Sohel
June 3, 2008, 05:13 AM
nice sohel bhai,he is a lot like kapali nd ash at some places.

Interesting that they're good friends, and Ash, according a recent "PA Stadium" article, lists Alok as his favorite Bangladeshi cricketer slash batsman.

Sohel
June 3, 2008, 05:16 AM
i still wonder, where do you get all your materials from? just by seeing them on TV?
i guess you can be a very good shrink. hehhe
nice article though. i read all your post with great interest . not many quality posters are here these days.

Maybe THIS (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=692498&postcount=20) can provide a bit of insight ... :)

Thanks for the kind words bro.