PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Euro 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3

patriot
June 6, 2008, 06:30 AM
UEFA EURO 2008
AUSTRIA - SWITZERLAND
http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/4/6/6/t_11317euro20m_fa5c396.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/6/f_11317euro20m_fa5c396.jpg&srv=img34)

The groups :

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/4/6/6/f_e08drawm_2382336.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/6/6/f_e08drawm_2382336.jpg&srv=img37)

The stage is set for one of the biggest cups in Europe to start. I would root for France but expect Turkey or Swizerland to steal the cup just like Greece did four years ago.

Rabz
June 6, 2008, 10:25 AM
Im going for Portugal, like last time.

But if i have to pick any other team, Id really like to see the perennial losers Spain win something for a change.

goru
June 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
I made my picks on facebook... Italy to win, Germany runners-up!

Also, nos.nl may carry live streams...

Bancan
June 6, 2008, 06:25 PM
France

MohammedC
June 6, 2008, 07:09 PM
France

France has very tough group one slip up could be costly. Netherland and World Champ Italy in the group wont make it easy for the french , weakest team in the group is Romania (used to surprise lot of team in the ninety's)

My football knowledge is minimal, I am going to say

Portugal or Spain

Nocturnal
June 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
Italy

Yameen
June 7, 2008, 04:13 AM
go Holland!

MohammedC
June 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
Portugal 2-0 beat Turkey

Czech beat Swiss 1-0 earlier

Hatebreed
June 7, 2008, 03:41 PM
Portugal ATW

ialbd
June 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
well played Portugal...

i was too busy with my life to notice Turkey turning into such a crappy side....

Bancan
June 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
well played Portugal...

i was too busy with my life to notice Turkey turning into such a crappy side....

On Drive This yesterday i think Sarah said Turkey might be the Greece in this tournament.lol

AsifTheManRahman
June 7, 2008, 06:56 PM
The cup belongs to Scandinavia. All hope on Larsson.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 8, 2008, 12:43 AM
Supporting France! They're in the group of death. I don't know if they will make it to the next round. Netherlands and Italy are in the same group as well. Romania on paper is the weakest in the group but they are not that bad of a team.

Banglatiger84
June 8, 2008, 05:53 AM
Best team: Spain

Best defence: Portugal

Best Midfield: Spain by far (Xavi, Fabregas, Iniesta, Senna)

Best Attack: France

Likely winners: Germany (easy run to final match) or France

abdulw11
June 8, 2008, 08:47 AM
Portugal played very well yesterday and I think they have an excellent chance of winning.

I'll be rooting for them, seeing as England are too shite to be in this year.

Rabz
June 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm getting a bit nostalgic here.

Those of us been member here for a long time, can easily recall times duing the World Cup 2006.

To me, that was the most fascinating times i've spent here on BC.

The fights, bickerings, ranting, taking sides and eventual make ups... everything was there. The whole sub-forum we had for WC'06 was worth it.

...And who could forget the great Babu Bangla bhai and his support for France...

This Euro is good, but certainly does not match with the "greatest show on Earth."

Rabz
June 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
Btw, the game we have in hand at the moment,
I really want Poland to drub the Germans.

Never liked 'em, nor i would.
( Except the blonde German backpackers......)

ok...time for me to stop being too nostalgic.

abdulw11
June 8, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yep I remember the World Cup, was indeed a good time to be a BC member. The prediction league was great fun too!

abdulw11
June 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
I want Germany to win this match... I have a little money riding on this match (in fact, all the matches) :blush:

Can't believe they just missed that opportunity! :head:

Sohel
June 9, 2008, 03:43 AM
Looking forward to some Maghribi flair from mes Bleus tonight.

Allez Samir, allez Karim, ALLEZ LES BLEUS, montrez-leur comment jouer.

Beamer
June 9, 2008, 10:31 AM
Looking forward to some Maghribi flair from mes Bleus tonight.

Allez Samir, allez Karim, ALLEZ LES BLEUS, montrez-leur comment jouer.

I am supporting Les Blues as well in the absence of my pathetic English team in the tourney. France have a lot of players that I always admired. Lets see how they fare.

Watched Portugal over the weeknd. They are a great team. Could have scored four goals against Turkey ( whatever happened to the surprise team of '02 WC..central defense is a shame ). Brazilian Pepe is a force in the middle of defense along with Carvalho.New Chelsea guy Bosingwa is a tremedous full back. Their midfield is vaunted as well with the arrival of a few younger guys.

Germany and Italy should be there till the end as always..

Rabz
June 9, 2008, 11:36 AM
I cant stand the French soccer team.
i want to lose like they lost in 2002 world cup.
down and out in the first round.

my reasons for hating them:
they seems to be the kryptonite of my favourite team: Brazil.
cant still believe the way they lost to the garlic-lovers back in '06

Rabz
June 9, 2008, 11:46 AM
Its goal-less at half time.

Go the Romanians.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 9, 2008, 12:23 PM
I am supporting Les Blues as well in the absence of my pathetic English team in the tourney. France have a lot of players that I always admired. Lets see how they fare.

Watched Portugal over the weeknd. They are a great team. Could have scored four goals against Turkey ( whatever happened to the surprise team of '02 WC..central defense is a shame ). Brazilian Pepe is a force in the middle of defense along with Carvalho.New Chelsea guy Bosingwa is a tremedous full back. Their midfield is vaunted as well with the arrival of a few younger guys.

Germany and Italy should be there till the end as always..

Nice to see Sohel NR bhai and Beams also supporting France. I too think Portugal has the best offensive players in the tournament and will also be a threath to reckon with. In world cups my favourite team has always been Argentina for as long as I've watched soccer but after the success of France in 1998 (along with the influence of my african friends) when I was still in Montreal in sec I, I became a fan of the french team. I must say Zizu was god like to them. I would still be supporting Argentina during the WC.

Rabz
June 9, 2008, 12:57 PM
Ha ha ha...
Romanians hold French to a goal-less draw...

so much for 'les blues'..

with Italians and the Dutch in the group...
the les blues chances are fading dark soon...

Beamer
June 9, 2008, 01:08 PM
Nice to see Sohel NR bhai and Beams also supporting France. I too think Portugal has the best offensive players in the tournament and will also be a threath to reckon with. In world cups my favourite team has always been Argentina for as long as I've watched soccer but after the success of France in 1998 (along with the influence of my african friends) when I was still in Montreal in sec I, I became a fan of the french team. I must say Zizu was god like to them. I would still be supporting Argentina during the WC.

Tame start by the French to the cup. They always start slow like this. '02-'06 WC case in point when they lost to Senegal and drew with Swiss I believe. They missed the experience of Viera and Henry from what little I saw today. Benzema looks like a good young ball player though. He will star in the future. Ribery runs on jet fuel. He never stops running. Amazing stamina he has.

For me, its always Brazil no.1 from the days of '82, my first WC. That team was the best one post pele that didn't win the cup. They had amazing players like Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior, Eder, Careca etc. They were let down by the Defense and the goalie that year, a far cry these days with Brazilan D men dominating in European leauges.

This group is open now. Lets see what Italy does with Dutch. The Dutch have defensive issues and injury to key players like Robben and Van Parsie. Look for a Italy win today.

abdulw11
June 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
What a boring match France-Romania was.

At least two entertaining teams are coming up.

Holland to win this one.

MohammedC
June 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
Now starting Italy V Holand.

This will be cracking game.

Beamer
June 9, 2008, 02:36 PM
Boy..Italy in complete disaster mode so far till half time. Never seen them play like this. However, the first goal by Rudd Van was off side er abba! But, what a great counter attacking second goal by the Dutch, all started by Bronckhorst from the clearance from the goal line to Kuyt to Sneijder, who finished off brilliantly. Rudd should have scored the third goal. Buffon to the rescue. What a performance by the Dutch. They are winning every ball...Love the Oranje

MohammedC
June 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
this is only half time and 2-0 to Holand

First goal was clear offside

ialbd
June 9, 2008, 03:40 PM
didnt expect Italy to get creamed like that.....

abdulw11
June 9, 2008, 03:40 PM
Holland win 3-0. Excellent match. What a contrast to today's earlier match.

France and Romania to go out from this group, imo.

Hatebreed
June 9, 2008, 04:45 PM
Excellent win by the Dutch men.

France, ZZZZzzzzz.... How the hell does Evra still not get preference over Abidal?

Hatebreed
June 9, 2008, 04:50 PM
I cant stand the French soccer team.
i want to lose like they lost in 2002 world cup.
down and out in the first round.

my reasons for hating them:
they seems to be the kryptonite of my favourite team: Brazil.
cant still believe the way they lost to the garlic-lovers back in '06

I second that. I've hated them since 98.

Yameen
June 9, 2008, 05:04 PM
Great victory for the Dutch to put the Italians in there rightful place at the bottom.

Hope the French can step up their game, btw does anyone know why Cisse wasnt playing?

Nafis_BD
June 9, 2008, 06:09 PM
What channel is showing the game in Canada? Anyone know?

Ishtylish cricketer
June 9, 2008, 06:17 PM
What channel is showing the game in Canada? Anyone know?
TSN and sportsnet.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 9, 2008, 06:22 PM
Tame start by the French to the cup. They always start slow like this. '02-'06 WC case in point when they lost to Senegal and drew with Swiss I believe. They missed the experience of Viera and Henry from what little I saw today. Benzema looks like a good young ball player though. He will star in the future. Ribery runs on jet fuel. He never stops running. Amazing stamina he has.

For me, its always Brazil no.1 from the days of '82, my first WC. That team was the best one post pele that didn't win the cup. They had amazing players like Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior, Eder, Careca etc. They were let down by the Defense and the goalie that year, a far cry these days with Brazilan D men dominating in European leauges.

This group is open now. Lets see what Italy does with Dutch. The Dutch have defensive issues and injury to key players like Robben and Van Parsie. Look for a Italy win today.

The first cup I remember watching WC was 1990. I was young but my parents watched the final at night so I remember watching parts of the final when Klinsman scored from penalty shot and Argentina lost.

Bancan
June 9, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yes Netherlands...

France baby all the way... i remember the world cup.. me and babubangla bhai supporting france. i even opened a thread for france supporters.

Banglatiger84
June 10, 2008, 12:34 AM
The first cup I remember watching WC was 1990. I was young but my parents watched the final at night so I remember watching parts of the final when Klinsman scored from penalty shot and Argentina lost.

It was Brehme who scored from the penalty :)

Beamer
June 10, 2008, 09:23 AM
It was Brehme who scored from the penalty :)

It was Brehme, the left full back..

Rabz
June 10, 2008, 10:07 AM
Dutches drubs the Italians 3-0!
Could not ask for more.

I wanted them to win last night, but the margin was better than expected.

I used to support Italy after Brazil, but since they won the world cup in 06, they sort of fell out of my fav list.

Dont know why, but i dont like them Italian team anymore.

MohammedC
June 10, 2008, 11:24 AM
Spain 1 Russia 0 (20 min David Villa)

This game is exciting so far...........

Wood work missed by russian............goes to the other side Torres missed it. this is end to end stuff

Rabz
June 10, 2008, 11:24 AM
Irony at its best!

Spaniards scores amidst of Russian repeated attack!
Poor poor russians....

Rabz
June 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
The Russians deserve a goal so badly.
They have played some really good football here.

Beamer
June 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
David Villa is a sniper isn't he? how long will he stay at Valencia? Every time he plays a game, he seems to score at will, both for his club and country. He is also one of the best penalty takers in the world. Torres did set him up though for the first goal. It was a wide open goal.

Hatebreed
June 10, 2008, 12:08 PM
Villa scores twice.... and his price just went up.

Tigers_eye
June 10, 2008, 12:16 PM
Two teams I dislike: England 66. France 98. Both choramani koira jitsey nijeder matitey. They can't do Jack anywhere else. The other champions are the true champions. Brazil, West Germany, Argentina, Uruguay, Italy. Ar Zizu, lol, will be known as headbutt king of the world. Platini is still the best french baller, Tigana is the second best.

82 was also my first one that i followed so closely. Woke up late nights and watched almost all games telecasted. 78 one just on newspaper. The night Rossi robbed the world was the worst night for me in football history!! That Brazilian team deserved to be among the champions.

Beamer
June 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
Agree with that '82 Brazil team. They were phenomenal. My fav Brazil team of 'em all.

France won Euro 2000. Not on their soil. Zizzu is more than headbutt player. You know that. Jean Tigana couldn't tie Zizzue shoes as good as he was. Platini is the best French player ever. Zizzu is clearly the second best.

Let me tell you about chora bajji. The biggest con job ever was by '78 Argentina that conspired with Peru to kill Brazil off. Score that game : 6-1 I believe. Argentina was at home. I hated Argentina since that day till now for what they did to Brazil.

West Germany is guilty of second biggest chorabaji of all time. WC '82, they drew with brothers Austria on purpose to get Algeria out of tournament, a team that beat W Germany earlier in the round.

Uruguay, Italy or '30s- The format was way too different. Only 8-10 teams participated. I wouldn't call it a true WC, though they won convincingly and rightly the World Champions of that time.

Engalnd- I agree. Losers though I support them when not playing Brazil.

Villa Hattrick..sniper..he beats the offf side trap as good as the master of that art _ Rudd Van and Pippo Inzaghi..

Hatebreed
June 10, 2008, 12:41 PM
Bloody hell. Hat-trick for Villa! Quite a good performance this is turning out to be.

Hatebreed
June 10, 2008, 12:48 PM
And they score another... great goal! Ruskis undone by pushing too many men forward.

Beamer
June 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
Russia gets one back. So does Spain with Fabregasc. Spain has problems with defense which will be exploited later. Villa set up the fourth goal. MOM.

Tigers_eye
June 10, 2008, 01:06 PM
Let me tell you about chora bajji. The biggest con job ever was by '78 Argentina that conspired with Peru to kill Brazil off. Score that game : 6-1 I believe. Argentina was at home. I hated Argentina since that day till now for what they did to Brazil.
6-0. Brazil had +3 goal advantage before that game (Arg vs Peru) over Argentina. They say it was framed.

West Germany is guilty of second biggest chorabaji of all time. WC '82, they drew with brothers Austria on purpose to get Algeria out of tournament, a team that beat W Germany earlier in the round.
That was blatant, I agree.
But for France, Ronaldo was taken care of the night before of the 98 finals. Everyone knows that. That is my biggest gripe!! Win it in the field if you can. Why do shady stuff to get unfair advantage? Brazil played okay but Ronaldo couldn't muster anything and missed loads of chances. Just as England's choramani will haunt every world cup they play, France will face the same consequences.

nasimul
June 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
Sweden vs Greece

MohammedC
June 10, 2008, 01:48 PM
Sweden will win against Greece.

Beamer
June 10, 2008, 02:07 PM
6-0 indeed T_E.

Nah..I don't believe those off field rumors. In any case, its up to the team officials to watch out for shady stuff, if any. Ronaldo went on a panic attack and was not fit. Brazil never should have started him. Never. Anyway.its all in the past. France has ways to go to catch up with Brazil in terms of cups won.

nasimul
June 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
Zlatan scores of Sweden

nasimul
June 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
and now Hansson makes 2-0 for Sweden

ialbd
June 10, 2008, 08:50 PM
good to see the greeks going down.....

well done spain.....

Sohel
June 11, 2008, 04:10 AM
Typically bummer of a start from mes Bleus. I just hope they peak at the right time.

Typically great start from Spain, I expect them to fade or choke when the time comes.

Portugal and Holland look good, as does Germany who look to have quite a bit of flair thanks to players of Polish, Hispanic, Hungarian and other non-German origins.

The Greek fluke, perhaps the longest fluke in soccer history, has come to an end at last. It was great to see them lose after all the negative tactics. Interesting tournament so far.

Sohel
June 11, 2008, 04:11 AM
Watching SAAF soccer after this is worse than torture.

Banglatiger84
June 11, 2008, 06:07 AM
When greece were chasing the game they couldnt put more than 2 passes together, in final 3rd they had no idea how to play 1-2's or shoot.

Greek team is only good for scoring headers from a corner and then defending, and wasting time, they won Euro 2004 with 3 headed goals, thats all...........

They also tried to waste time against Sweden from 1st half onwards, the defenders played among themselves be4 hoofing the ball out of play , Greece deserve to take the first plane home....

AsifTheManRahman
June 11, 2008, 07:09 AM
We beat the defending champs!

When greece were chasing the game they couldnt put more than 2 passes together, in final 3rd they had no idea how to play 1-2's or shoot.

Greek team is only good for scoring headers from a corner and then defending, and wasting time, they won Euro 2004 with 3 headed goals, thats all...........

Exactly. That's how they play their game. Starve them of their counter attacks and they won't score, period. The cup belongs to Scandinavia, and that's where it will go this time.

Beamer
June 11, 2008, 09:48 AM
Typically bummer of a start from mes Bleus. I just hope they peak at the right time.

Typically great start from Spain, I expect them to fade or choke when the time comes.

Portugal and Holland look good, as does Germany who look to have quite a bit of flair thanks to players of Polish, Hispanic, Hungarian and other non-German origins.

The Greek fluke, perhaps the longest fluke in soccer history, has come to an end at last. It was great to see them lose after all the negative tactics. Interesting tournament so far.

France needs Viera to organize the midfield. He was missed. Henry should be there next game as well.

Spain has great attacking flair with brilliant short passing to free up their strikers who are good at beating the offside line. However, their central defense looks shaky at times. Offense could be their best defense. Score more to hide some defensive shortcomings.

Holland indeed looked amazing. I have been watching the replays at night and boy was I impressed with their counter attacks. Not bad without Robben, Babel and Van parsie ( though he played a little bit ) in the attack. Sneijder is a great young attacking midfielder and had a stellar first season with Real.

Greece are a joke. 2004 was the biggest fluke in the history of sports. I want them out early.

Zlatan goal must be the best of the tournament so far. What a strike! It just changed the complexion of the game suddenly which was heading towards a tame 0-0 tie.

Expect Portugal to beat Czec. Swiss-Turkey is an interesting match up considering what happened in Istanbul a few years ago. This Turkey team is no way near their '02 cousins.

thebest
June 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
France needs Viera to organize the midfield. He was missed. Henry should be there next game as well.

Spain has great attacking flair with brilliant short passing to free up their strikers who are good at beating the offside line. However, their central defense looks shaky at times. Offense could be their best defense. Score more to hide some defensive shortcomings.

Holland indeed looked amazing. I have been watching the replays at night and boy was I impressed with their counter attacks. Not bad without Robben, Babel and Van parsie ( though he played a little bit ) in the attack. Sneijder is a great young attacking midfielder and had a stellar first season with Real.

Greece are a joke. 2004 was the biggest fluke in the history of sports. I want them out early.

Zlatan goal must be the best of the tournament so far. What a strike! It just changed the complexion of the game suddenly which was heading towards a tame 0-0 tie.

Expect Portugal to beat Czec. Swiss-Turkey is an interesting match up considering what happened in Istanbul a few years ago. This Turkey team is no way near their '02 cousins.

France don't need Viera but Viagra to energies. Henri along with Ibramovic is the most over rated strikers. These two are the greatest chockers after Cronje led SA.
As usual Holland and Spain played almost perfect game. As a dutch fan I am worried about their performance in defense. In other day, Italy might have won the game. Remember how many saves Van der ser made. Same goes for Spain. Might have been two down before they score if Russian Strikers are half decent.
For me Sniders one is the goal of the tournament till. Ibrahomivic was good. But I would consider it is typical goal for any international striker. He have all the space in front of D box to hit the ball.
I do agree Greece is worst team in the tournament and this turk team is much worse than the class of 02. I feel Czech would beat Portugal; But Diverdo & co is much better than the Czech team.
After First round of match, my pick of Q/f are
Gr A: Czech, Portugal
Gr B: Germany, Poland
Gr C: Dutch, Italy
Gr D: Spain, Russia (though I would love the Swede to progress; but their strikers are hopless)

Beamer
June 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
Zlatan is a bit overrated. I agree. He seems to give up a lot at times, at least for Sweden, but, his goal last night was a great strike, not typical for any intl striker as you are implying. He can really strike the ball. Also, his height makes him a big target in the box. He plays well with his back to the goal.

I admire the Dutch always. They produce great players for a nation that small.

Diverdo? watch it now! jealousy won't take you anywhere. ManU wins everything.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 11:20 AM
Portugal took lead with a scrappy goal. C.Rep just levelled.. Now it's getting interesting!

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 11:37 AM
Watching SAAF soccer after this is worse than torture.

God, tell me about it bro!

They ARE the perennial losers of world soccer for a reason. If im not mistaken, they had a similar start to thier 2006 campaign, winning the first game 4-0 against, well i cant remember against who.

And they gracefully bowed out in the second round.

Ditto.
Never liked them Greeks.
Tight-a$$es and a bunch of snobs.

82 was also my first one that i followed so closely. Woke up late nights and watched almost all games telecasted. 78 one just on newspaper.

Man, you old! :)

First world cup i watched closely was 90.

82 world cup? who knows i probably have watched.
But my 1 year old brain was too naive to hold on to that memory!!

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 11:43 AM
The Czecks are taking the fight to the Portuguese!
Scores are levelled 1-1 in the dying moments of first half!

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 11:47 AM
Entertaining football in the first half of the match.
This IS the group decider of A group, and both the teams are equally upto the task.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
1-1 at HT. Portugal haven't really gotten off their first gear. They need to come out firing in the second half.

akabir77
June 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
ohhh missing all the action? is there any online site? soapcast will not work :(

AsifTheManRahman
June 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
At work, too bad. In any case, sink Portugal sink.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
Czechs just had a great chance. Portugal's defense looks shaky. They need more possession at the front.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 12:19 PM
Couple of chances for Portugal but tame shots in the end. They need a finisher.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 12:22 PM
RONALDO SCORES!! It was only a matter of time. Great finish!

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
Ronaldo scores...Portugal leads with 2-1 at the 65th minute.

Can't stand CRONALDO since the last WC and the scuffle with Rooney.

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
Christiano Ronaldo scores a stunner to go up 2-1.

This is one good game.

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
That was one cheeky goal by the Portuguese!
3-1 it is.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
Goal #3 for Portugal. Ronaldo makes the perfect run and unselfishly passes to Quaresma. Game over.

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
Portugal wins it, even though the Czecks played really well.
They have put the Portuguese defense on some test, and even though the Portuguese escaped this time, i think it remains to be seen how they fair up against some formidable attacks.

Nonetheless, a very good entertaining football.

Final score
Portugal 3 -1 Czeck Republic.

Beamer
June 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
Don't let the score line fool you though. I saw a glimpse here and there. Looked like Czec had chances ( aerial ) galore. Portugese defense is suspect, very much like the Spanish, and offense is their best defense- score more than your opponent. Great shot by C'Ron to score the second goal. Peter Cech helpless in the third goal. He had a few great saves to keep his team alive. Czec played hard, played them tough..

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 12:59 PM
Portugal's defense is pretty appalling. Whoever said they have the best defense need to think twice. Czechs made the mistake of not pressing their advantage in the first half. They did well to disrupt Portugal's movement and keep them at bay but in the end Portugal only needed the finishing touches to their chances, but their defense will be tested against stronger attacks.

AsifTheManRahman
June 11, 2008, 01:00 PM
Oh well.

Some big games coming up - Croatia vs Germany, Netherlands vs France, Sweden vs Spain. Consecutive days.

nasimul
June 11, 2008, 01:00 PM
Portugal through to the 2nd round

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 01:14 PM
The Swiss and the Turks again.
Its going to be one hot-headed encounter.

Some unsolved business, but hopefully not.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
Go Turks!

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 01:43 PM
if any of you are watching online, kindly provide a link?

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
There are links at http://myp2p.eu/

Install the appropriate software for the stream you want to view.

People in the UK can watch from BBC website- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7442258.stm

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks, HB!

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 01:50 PM
one funny thing i cant help but notice:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/flags/tu-flag.gif (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/flags/tu-flag.html) https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/flags/sz-flag.gif (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/flags/sz-flag.html)
Turkey Switzerland

Its Red Cross Vs Red Crescent ( read white)
or,

the reminiscene of Old Crusade.

MohammedC
June 11, 2008, 01:50 PM
I heard there was lot of fight last time Turkey played Swiss. Was it a friendly or WC qualifying game I forgot.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 01:51 PM
one funny thing i cant help but notice:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:VbixyPNQfL5qnM:http://www.cost929-environet.org/images/turkey-flag_000.gif (http://images.google.com.bd/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cost929-environet.org/images/turkey-flag_000.gif&imgrefurl=http://onelife84.wordpress.com/&h=466&w=700&sz=6&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=VbixyPNQfL5qnM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dturkey%2Bswitzerland%2Bflag%26gbv%3D2 %26hl%3Den) http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:SDfNzlJ3fIuqBM:http://www.traveltoucan.com/files/Switzerland-flag.gif (http://images.google.com.bd/imgres?imgurl=http://www.traveltoucan.com/files/Switzerland-flag.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.traveltoucan.com/Switzerland-Travel&h=240&w=360&sz=2&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=SDfNzlJ3fIuqBM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dturkey%2Bswitzerland%2Bflag%26gbv%3D2 %26hl%3Den)
National flag of Turkey National Flag of Switzerland

Its Red Cross Vs Red Crescent ( read white)
or,

the reminiscene of Old Crusade.

LOL Good catch, bro! Yeah, its a blazing insignia of the crusades, indeed.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
It's pouring down at the stadium.. A goal would be nice to heat things up.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:08 PM
Seems like all the rainclouds from BD have gathered over the stadium. I am glad. Hope it stays that way till the end of tomorrow's match.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:09 PM
Most of the links online are either French, German, or Spanish commentary. I can't find an English commentary.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:11 PM
The field is DRENCHED...puddles everywhere. Wow, it's definitely extremely difficult to play out there.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ouch! The Turks came dangerously close to scoring one.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 02:15 PM
Ohhhh damn.. great chance for the Turks.. hit the post.

Most of the links online are either French, German, or Spanish commentary. I can't find an English commentary.

Most but not all, so there are English links. Try each of them. Usually the ones with TVU player work best.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:17 PM
Switzerland scores one. Wow.

MohammedC
June 11, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hakan Yakin scores for Swiss

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
Switzerland score! This goal is the very definition of a tap-in. Rain has really slowed down ball movement.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 02:19 PM
Another chance for the Swiss! Turkey just standing still in their own box.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 02:23 PM
Turkey needs to get near the Swiss box, look for short and aerial passes.

Rifat
June 11, 2008, 02:23 PM
turkey playing poorly

Rifat
June 11, 2008, 02:26 PM
interesting soccer in rain...

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hakan Yakin sounds like a Turkish name...has he donned the wrong jersey today :) ?

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:32 PM
Halftime...the Swiss lead the Turks by 1-0. The Turks have failed to impress ... once again.

Beamer
June 11, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hakan Yakin sounds like a Turkish name...has he donned the wrong jersey today :) ?

He is indeed a Turk, like many in Switzerland and in this team. At least three-four players are of Turkish ancestry.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 02:33 PM
Turkey were playing fine before the rain started. Their gameplay depend a lot on passing and movement, so it's affected them more. Still it's been pretty entertaining so far.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 02:56 PM
Turks scored! ... offside! DHURR.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 03:01 PM
Turkey scored! Woooh!

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 03:01 PM
Turks Score! Fabulous Goal! Yay!

MohammedC
June 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
Turkey scored! Woooh!

Now we will watch a game

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
this game just got better..way better. C'mon turks! One more, lads!

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
Great game after HT. Hope Turkey get a winner.

What a chance just now!!!! Dammit

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
Ah! So close!

Rifat
June 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
interesting game.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 03:28 PM
Fantastic save by the Turkish keeper.

nasimul
June 11, 2008, 03:36 PM
2-1 for Turkey

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 03:36 PM
TURKEY SCORES!!!! What a comeback! FANTASTIC!

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 03:37 PM
Did You Guys See That Goal?! Whoa! Go Turks!

Electrequiem
June 11, 2008, 03:39 PM
TURKEY WINS! What a comeback!

Hatebreed
June 11, 2008, 03:41 PM
What an entertaining game. Well done Turkey for showing great spirit. Well done Swiss also, but overall Turkey deserved to win.

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
So semi berth wasn't a fluke afterall. ;)

Rifat
June 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
whomever HA-HA's last, HA-HA's best :)

-from Nelson Muntz "The Simpsons"

abdulw11
June 11, 2008, 04:21 PM
So happy that Turkey scored!

Unlucky Switzerland, but I believe Turkey deserved it.

Yameen
June 11, 2008, 05:56 PM
damn sounds like i missed a great game, was too busy watching the apprentice lolz

but well done Turkey! The local kebab shop boys round my area will be over the moon for sure...

abdulw11
June 12, 2008, 05:15 AM
It was the other way around for me... I was too busy watching the game that I forgot about the Apprentice final! I only got to see the final boardroom action, but there will be repeats so no worries!

thebest
June 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
The way Germans are playing at the moment, I would not consider them as Semi-final material. But any way Germans would rise in time like every time. Latest score Croat 1 German 0; 35 min gone

Hatebreed
June 12, 2008, 12:20 PM
Hope Germany lose today. Good team, but not very fond of them. They could be a thorn in Portugal's way.

Speaking of which, CROATIA scores another! YEPP!!

thebest
June 12, 2008, 12:20 PM
It is 2-0 for the croat

Yameen
June 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
this sure is a shocking result if things remain the same..

nasimul
June 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
Nothing works for Germans

nasimul
June 12, 2008, 12:35 PM
2-1 ..hmm its going to be interesting

Rabz
June 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
Podoski gives one back.

Croatia 2 - 1 Germany.

I'd love to see the Croats win here.
German soccer team is one of my pet hates.

Hatebreed
June 12, 2008, 12:37 PM
Podolski gets his third goal of the tournament. Good player.

10 mins to go.. could be interesting.

Rabz
June 12, 2008, 12:39 PM
My oh my!
what a good shot that was...( dont know the croat player)...

the golie saves a good one for the germans...

Rabz
June 12, 2008, 12:49 PM
The Ref is outta control!

must be having a colourful day!

3 yello cards and 1 red card within a minute!

Hatebreed
June 12, 2008, 12:51 PM
CROATS win. Well done!

Rabz
June 12, 2008, 12:51 PM
Croatia wins!!

This must be the biggest upset of the cup!

Not a big fan of you guys, but go the Croats (for the moment)..

Who's playing the next game?

Beamer
June 12, 2008, 01:32 PM
Croatia looks solid. Portugal-Germany may be now in qtr finals?

Croatia second goal courtesy of Mr.Lehman. Wenger is laughing somewhere..

MohammedC
June 12, 2008, 03:42 PM
Last minute penalty saved Austria

Austria 1 Poland 1

Nocturnal
June 12, 2008, 10:55 PM
Go Italy......do or die!!

today-
Italy- Romania
France- Holland

Bancan
June 12, 2008, 10:59 PM
France baby.

The worst time for the euro cup to be arranged. cant watch a single game properly.

Sohel
June 13, 2008, 03:09 AM
Liked the way the Croats handled the Germans, AGAIN ... :lol:

Positive, technically impressive soccer and solid ball possession in the opposition half from start to finish. This team will surprise many I reckon.

Looking forward to the match tonight, ALLEZ LES BLEUS !

Rabz
June 13, 2008, 05:30 AM
Hope France tonight confirms their departure from the tournament.

Against the Dutch?
i dont think they have much chance.

nasimul
June 13, 2008, 05:40 AM
Hope Dutch and Italians will win their respective match

AsifTheManRahman
June 13, 2008, 08:22 AM
The Dutch and the Romanians for me.

Rabz
June 13, 2008, 09:58 AM
The Dutch and the Romanians for me.

Ditto.
Want the Dutch and the Romanians to win tonight.

thebest
June 13, 2008, 10:27 AM
I am also in the band wagon of Dutch - the poetry in motion, Romania - the land of Lakatus, Hagi. Down with France - the head buters and Italy - the eternal match fixers

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
Supported Italy in the WC final but only as the lesser of two evils. Don't mind if they go out and take France with them.

Then supporting the Dutch of course, it goes without saying.

AsifTheManRahman
June 13, 2008, 11:57 AM
0-0 at half time. Romania hit the bar off a set piece. Hopefully they can sneak one in in the second half and if the Dutch come good later on, the competition might just be freed of Italy and France and we should be able to live in peace.

thebest
June 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
Mutu score. Italy Going home. OOps Italy hit back

thebest
June 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
Buffon saves penalty from Mutu. Italy still hanging on

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 12:40 PM
Harsh penalty. Buffon saves!! Well done.

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
Italy still hanging on. Hope the Dutch now beat the French and force it down to the last game.

Rabz
June 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
So, the Romanians drew with the Italians!
Well done!
Congrats to them.

Italians seems to be having the worst time of their life.
..well who cares....

Rabz
June 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
Now, bring it on, France.

The Dutch demolition begins soon.

AsifTheManRahman
June 13, 2008, 02:13 PM
Let the men in blue sink (this includes both teams that wear blue in this group).

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 02:17 PM
Holand 1 France 0
good header by Kuyt of Liverpool

32 minutes gone.

AsifTheManRahman
June 13, 2008, 02:47 PM
HUP HUP Nederland! Oranje Oranje Oranje!

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 02:52 PM
Blues are all over orange.

How did Henry missed that chance on 49th minute.

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
C'mon Nederland, finish em off!

Big chance for France.. penalty claimed for handball, but not intentional.

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
Henry and the goalkeeper he lobs the ball over the cross bar. Henry has lost his accurate touch

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
Another even better chance for France but Henry lobs it over the bar. lol

France getting too much possession. The Dutchmen need to get a hold.

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 03:00 PM
How do you say goodbye in france?

Van Persie..................... goallllllllllllllllllll

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 03:01 PM
They score again! Van Persie this time. Fantastic break! France is going down. :lol:

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 03:05 PM
How do you say goodbye in france?

Van Persie..................... goallllllllllllllllllll

Au revoir!

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 03:13 PM
French pulls one back still not Au revoir

But holand scores back

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 03:14 PM
France get a goal...

Wait a MINUTE.... NEDERLAND get one back!

LMFAO!!

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 03:14 PM
Au revoir!

Thanks HB.

Now French can start singing Au revoir

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 03:27 PM
Chance for van Nistelrooy.. headed over the goalie but got back to save it. The Oranje are still going for more goals!

Hatebreed
June 13, 2008, 03:34 PM
Sneijder strikes a beauty! Nederland 4 - France - Demolished.

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 03:35 PM
Sneijder makes it 4 for Holand.

Thats it the torture is over for the french

Beamer
June 13, 2008, 03:47 PM
Brilliant Oranje indeed. I have changed my mind. Rooting for Holland all the way. They are scary good and a treat to watch. So many talented players playing as a team for the first time. All of their goals have been brilliant. France is aging and it showed. Holland's young midfield, their counter attacking ability and finish is breathtaking. They are better than Portugal because of their ability to finish.

Wesley Sneijder can become the best player in the world. He rarely makes a bad decision. Has a brilliant shot with both foot. Passing is marvelous.

French coach will be sacked in a few days..

Yameen
June 13, 2008, 06:10 PM
hollands second goal was amazing, and have to say horse face van nistleroy was very instrumental in making it...U LEGEND!

Rabz
June 14, 2008, 09:12 AM
The Blues going down!
what a superb night.

Holland Portugal and Spain are the team to look out for this tournament.

Sohel
June 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
RayDom is a moron. No Abidal, no Sylvestre, no Viera, no Nasri, Benzema getting scapegoated Kapali style, Coupet more interested in his hairstyle, and "can't-finish" Anelka to the rescue ... what else can we expect ?!

Holland may go all the way, but it won't be this easy. There's only one RayDom.

Rifat
June 14, 2008, 11:19 AM
fernando torres scores for spain

Hatebreed
June 14, 2008, 11:19 AM
France would lose either way. EVRA >>>>> Abidal. He was one of France's few best players yesterday. France need to get rid of Thuram.

Backing the Swedes todays, but Spain looks too strong.

Rabz
June 14, 2008, 11:32 AM
Spain 1-0 up against the Swedish so far, 30 minutes into the match.

I like both this teams from this group, so not going for anyone here.
just good football.

Hatebreed
June 14, 2008, 11:34 AM
SWEDEN LEVEL!!! Ibrahimovic! C'mon!!!!!

MohammedC
Spain 1-0 up against the Swedish so far, 30 minutes into the match.

I like both this teams from this group, so not going for anyone here.
just good football.

Ibrahimovic scores for Sweden.

Game on

nasimul
Ibra makes 1-1

Rabz
Ibrahimovic scores back for the Sweds.

Game levelled at 1 all.

thebest
June 14, 2008, 11:36 AM
Go Sweden go. Ibrahomovic proving me wrong. No goal in two and half a year and now two goal in two succesive half. Sweden is really playing well

MohammedC
June 14, 2008, 11:37 AM
Spanish defence will let them down.

Rabz
June 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
This is turning to be a really good game.
just switching back and forth between football and cricket.

Rifat
June 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
exciting game!!!!! :D

Hatebreed
June 14, 2008, 11:41 AM
Sweden playing with more confidence and rhythm. Keep it up!

nasimul
June 14, 2008, 11:42 AM
Heja Sverige!!!!

Rabz
June 14, 2008, 11:54 AM
The Swedish gets away with that should-hv-bn-penalty!

1 all at half time.

Beamer
June 14, 2008, 11:57 AM
Sweden carrying the play in the later part of the half. Spain defense is too shaky. Both these teams should advance though. Winner of this group will avoid the Dutch. Thats a big incentive..

Beamer
June 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
RayDom is a moron. No Abidal, no Sylvestre, no Viera, no Nasri, Benzema getting scapegoated Kapali style, Coupet more interested in his hairstyle, and "can't-finish" Anelka to the rescue ... what else can we expect ?!

Holland may go all the way, but it won't be this easy. There's only one RayDom.

Raydom is clueless. Why play Malouda? I have never seen him delivering a decent cross. Govu? Please! Benzema was much more impressive than Govu. Henry should have scored when he had the chance to draw level. Instead, Dutch hit back with a goal. France overall is ageing and Raydom messed it up big time. When you are losing by two goals, whats the point of still playing Makellele and Toulalan ( another bust )?

Rabz
June 14, 2008, 12:12 PM
ooppss..wrong thread....

Rabz
June 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
The Spaniards makes a mess of hell of a chance.

Should have been 2-1 up by now.

Hatebreed
June 14, 2008, 12:26 PM
Spain getting too much possession. Sweden need to get a hold.

MohammedC
June 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
Villa scores in injury time

2-1 spain

Rabz
June 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well played Sweden nonetheless.

Next game, i want the Russian to crush the greeks.

Gus will bite back.

Hatebreed
June 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
Great finish by Villa. Sweden were hardly themselves in the second half, didn't play football, stayed behind the ball. Spain were poor by their standards but probably deserved the win.

Beamer
June 14, 2008, 01:31 PM
Uhh David Villa...all he needs is one good chance and he usually buries it. Great finish from a great goal scorer.

Banglatiger84
June 15, 2008, 12:26 AM
I have read that Domenech uses astrology for selecting players !

Gomis instead of Benzema was a horrible substitution.......

Sohel
June 15, 2008, 02:45 AM
I have read that Domenech uses astrology for selecting players !

This is true !

It shocks me that this moron kept his job past the WC 2006 where he committed similar crimes, but had Zidane to bail his @$$ out !

Before the Holland match, he spoke of his desire to "get it done without seducing anybody" ... not even a latte !

Seulement en France !

Rabz
June 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
Portugal and Turkey tonight.

The tournament is slowly heading towards its business end.

MohammedC
June 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
With Portugal already qualified Portugal V Swiss will be a no frill match
The main match will be Turkey V Czech.

Come on Turkey

tonoy
June 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
czech gets a goal. turkey is playing too cautiously.

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
Turkey needs to be brave and attack the Czechs.

MohammedC
June 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
2-2

Turkey scores

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
Turkey come back from behind to score twice. That's what I'm talking about!

MohammedC
June 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
Turkey....................................scores again

3-2 to turkey

What a 2 minute

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
They score again!!! TURKEY TURKEY TURKEY!!! WHAT A TURNAROUND!!

MohammedC
June 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
Why is he sent off

omg is it a penalty

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
Turk keeper sent off.. Koller made way too much out of it. This is BS.

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
Why is he sent off

omg is it a penalty

No, he wasn't playing the ball.

Turkey just needs to hold on now.

MohammedC
June 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
Ref is gone barmy

MohammedC
June 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
Whistle goes. Turkey through

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
THE CZECHS ARE CECHING OUT!!! L-)

What a turnaround! Turkey deservedly won. They showed great spirit and determination. Best game of the tourney so far.

Rifat
June 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
alhamdulillah! brilliant back to back comebacks by turkiye

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 03:51 PM
Petr Cech, best goalie my a$$.

tonoy
June 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
Man this is what football is all about. What a comeback!!! WTG TURKS!!!

abdulw11
June 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Woah, what a game! Well done Turkey!!!

Could Turkey do in 2008 what Greece done in 2004?

Even though Turkey is miles better than Greece.

abdulw11
June 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
Rounds off a highly unsuccessful season for Cech.

I'll be cheering Turkey on for the rest of the tournament.

Hatebreed
June 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm backing Turkey to be the surprise package of this tourney if they can keep up this level of determination.

Swiss somehow beat Portugal with two goals from Hakan Yakin. Great day for Turks.

Today was proof of how overrated Cech is. Buffon is a much better goalie than him.

Russell2k7
June 15, 2008, 07:25 PM
Buffon is prbably the best goalie. The Turkish team of 2002 was much stronger than this one, where they lost to Brazil only 1-0 in the semi. That Turkish goalkeeper in 2002 was way better than Volkan. Turkey played poorly against Portugal and also first half against Czechs. But talk about being patriotic and determination for one's nation. They came back and actually won the game. Unbelievable. This is what our cricketers lack.

Sohel
June 16, 2008, 02:38 AM
What an amazing demonstration of character and gumption from Nihat and his Turks! Definitely my "sentimental favorites" now.

The Czechs haven't recovered from Nedved's retirement, and without the creativity and pace of Rosicky, they're a pretty ordinary side to watch.

Bonus delight: always good to see a Selcheese player, except Essien of course, letting it slip right through his fingers ... :lol:

Beamer
June 16, 2008, 10:33 AM
What a performance by Turkey. One for the ages. I will be rooting for them to do the same to the Croats. Turan is a budding star of Turkish football. Horrible game for Cech. His game has slipped beyond recognition.

akabir77
June 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
I was very lucky to see the game yesterday. what a game... Anyway Is there any multimedia link for todays game?

abdulw11
June 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
Did anyone even bother watching the Portugal-Switzerland game last night?

MohammedC
June 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
Did anyone even bother watching the Portugal-Switzerland game last night?

Who won that game?

Beamer
June 16, 2008, 12:47 PM
Swiss 2- Portugal 0.

Rabz
June 16, 2008, 01:04 PM
The Portuguese rested 8 of thier regular players and Big Phil decided to try out his reserve bench.

Even though the result didnot favour their way, the 2nd choices played pretty good to be honest. Its just the luck went the other way.

Nothing much to take out of that match except the host could finish it off in high note.

abdulw11
June 16, 2008, 04:30 PM
I still think Portugal should have won. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Croatia changed 9 members, I think, of the team that beat Germany, and they still beat Poland tonight.

Tigers_eye
June 16, 2008, 04:33 PM
Croatia changed 9 members, I think, of the team that beat Germany, and they still beat Poland tonight.
The days of Boniek are long gone!! Taklu doiratey partho.

shaad
June 16, 2008, 08:46 PM
Brilliant Oranje indeed. I have changed my mind. Rooting for Holland all the way. They are scary good and a treat to watch. So many talented players playing as a team for the first time. All of their goals have been brilliant. France is aging and it showed. Holland's young midfield, their counter attacking ability and finish is breathtaking. They are better than Portugal because of their ability to finish.

I am rather fond of the Dutch team (and not only because my wife is half-Dutch; I think it stems partly from a fondness for the Total Football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football) of the 1974 Dutch team -- perhaps the best team not to have won a World Cup). They, Portugal and Turkey tend to be the European teams I root for. And Marco Van Basten's 4-3-2-1 formation has been pretty effective and enjoyable so far.

That said, keep in mind, that in both the matches against Italy and France, Netherlands were able to take an initial lead. This forced both Italy and France to come forward and probe for the equalizers, making their defence more open and vulnerable to the dazzlingly fast and creative Dutch counterattacks. I wonder though, what will happen if some team scores first against the Dutch. Such a team could then settle into a catenaccio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenaccio) defensive style to protect their lead, and I wonder how effective the Dutch would be against it.

Beamer
June 16, 2008, 09:06 PM
100% correct Shaad. That remains to be seen how they handle things if they concede the first goal. I don't think their central defensive pair are out of the world. They are good but average good. The two fullbacks have impressed though ( Van Bronchorst and Boularouz ). Wesley Sneijder impresses me beyond anything. Van the Man is also playing well off the ball. But, you are right on the point. I hope that doesn't happen because I would like to see them win the Euro. Turkey probably doesn't have what it takes to win the Cup, though I see them beating Croatia.

74 and also 78 teams should have at least won one cup.

T_E : I think you are confusing Boniek ( right spell? darn those Polish names ) with Lato. He was the takku who ran everywhere. He was a great player.

Sohel
June 17, 2008, 02:41 AM
Germans win and the Croats continue to be surprisingly scary.

I won't be surprised to see them in the finals against the Dutch.

Beamer is right. Zbigniew had flowing blonde hair when he played alongside Platini for Juventus. Lato was the taklu who just couldn't miss. Awful to see soccer teams who can't finish.

Even the Klose and the Germans, traditionally exceptional finishers, blew quite a few chances last night. That Gomez guy is a useless Schmo ! Where did they find this hondol kutkut, and why isn't Kuranyi playing ?

thebest
June 17, 2008, 08:19 AM
Beamer Bhai, Shaad Bhai
don't worry. Our team would always score first. We have the best G/K in the world. People talk about Baffon the best w/k in the world. But how many save he made. Van der sar single handedly protect the lead against Italy and France. In any match within thirty minutes we would take the lead and kill the opponent counter attacking. People are talking about Snider but my flying dutchman is Van der sar.

Beamer
June 17, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yes. Van Der Sar has been great. Not many people talk about him as one of the best goalies of the World, which he certainly is. His positioning skill is exceptional.

I think very soon Artur Boruc of Poland will become the best goalie in the World. Celtics will have to sell him soon.

Sohel : Gomez has been useless. He was the second top scorer in Bundesliga after Toni and German player of the year. That miss was horrible. I heard the French team is rife with faction and internal squabble. Once they get ousted from the Euro, you will see a sea of change in that squad. All the old timers either will retire or be forced out. Their time has gone and its time to build with the newer generation for the WC. Look at the Dutch. They have left out many old guards and re built the team quickly.

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 11:21 AM
T_E : I think you are confusing Boniek ( right spell? darn those Polish names ) with Lato. He was the takku who ran everywhere. He was a great player.
Thanks for the correction. Them two was a great combo.

Beamer
June 17, 2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the correction. Them two was a great combo.

Indeed. That was a great Polish team.

Nocturnal
June 17, 2008, 12:32 PM
Really hoping for a Italy win vs France tonight and go to QF.

where is xavier by the way??

Rabz
June 17, 2008, 12:57 PM
I want both Italy and France out tonight, even though im planning to watch the game which starts 12.25 deep into the night.

For sake of 'blues' out of the tournament, i dont mind Romanians upsetting the Dutch for one match.

ialbd
June 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
GO Italy... my support goes for them....

p.s: Riberry is one aggressive player.....:timeout:

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
I hope Italy wins against France. But my support will be with Turkey, the underdog. Wouldn't mind if Spain gets something for a change. Van basten's team looks like a formidable champion.

Hatebreed
June 17, 2008, 02:09 PM
Italy v France pretty boring affair so far. I don't want either of them to progress, especially France.

Hatebreed
June 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
PENALTY for Italy! ABIDAL red carded! LOL!

Hatebreed
June 17, 2008, 02:11 PM
PIRLO scores. Italy takes the lead. Excellent.

Beamer
June 17, 2008, 02:18 PM
What a moron this French coach! He sticks Abidal, a left back who had a horrible cup and was dropped last game vs Holland, only to be put in against Italy in a central position, against the likes of a giant named Luca Toni! Right penalty called. He was beat earlier as well when Toni hurried his shot to the right of Coupet. Except France to lose big. Ribery is out as well with injury!

Who gave Govu the no 10 jersey for France? What a shame. How bad is he? Awful player. And why does he continue to start?

Beamer
June 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
Great save by Coupet. That free kick was going in. Pirlo picks up his second yellow and will miss the next match if Italy goes through. Benzema is beating his man every time he gets the ball. He needs more support.