PDA

View Full Version : Slow death of Bangladesh cricket!

shujan
June 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
There was so much promise after the world cup for Bangladesh cricket. Now there is effortless cricket from our side! This is disgusting cricket from our side!

What the heck is going on here?? :mad:

AsifTheManRahman
June 8, 2008, 11:01 AM
Remind me - when was it ever alive?

Repeated whining will serve no purpose. Treat it for what it is - high quality comedy - and live in peace.

Tehsin
June 8, 2008, 11:12 AM
AshraFOOL is batting for a draw. Can someone tell him and Mushy that this is a ODI and they actually have an asking rate. Batting was poor, lackluster, and it is painfully even against such friendly bowling (by Pakistani standards) our batsmen are cluesless. They are simply lacking in self-confidence.

Bring in a shrink. We need to get into their heads.

shujan
June 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
Bangladesh cricket standard has gone down so much! It was actually fun to watch Bangladesh cricket during the world cup! Now it looks like a family picnic cricket. Biriani time apa! Hello?? Khelata shesh koira fallen Biriani thanda hoia zaitase..

Spitfire_x86
June 8, 2008, 11:29 AM
We were terrible in rest of the WC matches, which is our real ability.

One World
June 8, 2008, 11:38 AM
I am watching AUSTRIA-CROATIA, which is more fun ATM.

Shobha
June 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
We were terrible in rest of the WC matches, which is our real ability.

i agree.
we were lucky in those two matches which just heppend to be against 2 big opponenets in a worldcup

shujan
June 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
I am watching AUSTRIA-CROATIA, which is more fun ATM.

Lucky!! I subscribed for this stupid match! What a waste ot time! This is the worst sports match in my life including all sports!

Rifat
June 8, 2008, 12:26 PM
now BCB realizes the cost of sacking players like Rasel(strike bowler), players like Javed Omar..., players like Bashar who brought stability to the innings

djnaved
June 8, 2008, 12:31 PM
comment of the year during the presentation:

Ash: " We have batted well":-|

Rabz
June 8, 2008, 12:44 PM
Im starting to have doubts about JS, seriously.
Been trying hard to give him the benefits of doubt over this last 6 months or so, but patience is running pretty thin now.

His strategies arent working. He probably went with the "honest" approach, which is surely backfiring at the moment.

He is the one who is having problem with adjusting with the changes, georprahically, culturally, socially and cricket-wise.

Im not sure about his past records, but i guess his cricketing career involved ONLY with Australia before taking on the Bangladesh job. Now the vast difference between this two countries, which is like day and night, is having hard time on his adaptability.

Coming from the Australian background, he only been associated with the best in the business. Now thrown into the healm of coaching a up coming young nation, i think this difference threw him on the backfoot.

The vast difference between Aussie players and ours is what unsettling him. I think he quickly realised that this team is not up to the task. With the given resouces to work with, he already made up his mind that we are a hopeless bunch and its not really going anywhere.

So instead of injecting the boys with good encouraging words, he is filling them with message that is actually hurting our own standard. He is telling the boys to go out there and improve one game at a time, slowly learn to build up and henceforth.

Its all good and well, but not in 2008. It was good for pre 2004.
After our encouraging performance in the world cup i guess we all hoped to look forward but instead we'v been taken back to the past by our coach who is tryng to start everything from the scratch.

He is feeding the boys that they are not good enough to win, so just go out there and give your best to learn how to play. What he needs to realise is that we've been there done that.

I have not seen any real attemp by the players to win any of this games, cuz they are already told they cant win.

The killer instict that Dav tried so hard to in-built them, is slowly but surely eroding away and instead taking us back to Mohsin-Kamal era.

Siddon is no man for this job.
He is not good working with a young team who just made it.

Either he should go back to Academy teams, or be assistant to main coach of an already established team.

A team like Bangladesh that was standing on the cross-roads is not for Jamie Siddons.

Dhurr
June 8, 2008, 12:47 PM
Rabz, I am starting to have doubts about Siddons too. I think Miraz bhai summed it up best when he said we look like two different teams during a game: a confident, energetic team when we go in to bowl and a scared, nervous team when we go in to bat. At the international level, a coach HAS TO be a good motivator, and Siddons is not doing a very good job at it.

Baundule
June 8, 2008, 12:47 PM
We need more boot camp.

Dhurr
June 8, 2008, 12:48 PM

Hahaha Shalar Bangali... 80-90 run a haira o "We have batted well"

Miraz
June 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
That's a top post Rabz. Could not agree more.

bdchamp20
June 8, 2008, 01:15 PM
Our players dont have the confidence anymore, they dont think theyre good enough to chase down targets. Siddons has done well with batting and that is evident with rises of individual batting performances of players but our bowling, in particular pace is deteriorating. Batsmen are looking to score personal runs but are not looking to win the match as a team. I dont think this should be allowed to continue by the BCB, something has to be done.

bdchamp20
June 8, 2008, 01:16 PM
None of the batsmen looked as if though they wanted to win the match.

BANFAN
June 8, 2008, 01:19 PM
...................... .................................................. .................................................. ....

Siddon is no man for this job.
He is not good working with a young team who just made it.

Either he should go back to Academy teams, or be assistant to main coach of an already established team.

A team like Bangladesh that was standing on the cross-roads is not for Jamie Siddons.

Agree to every bit of it. [That includes the deleted portion as well. Just tried to keep the length of my post short.]

Had been saying that for some time. A coach who tries to change every bit of natural things in the national team, can't be suitable for that job. His approach suits under 13/14 or school or Academy teams.

More over his inspirational ability is '00'. That also works in those levels only. He is unsuitable for the job. Earlier we understand is better.

BANFAN
June 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
None of the batsmen looked as if though they wanted to win the match.

If the coach has comeout in public to convince all of us that we should not think of winning, infact he said, "If you are thinking of winning, means you don't understand cricket" can you imagine how much he has gone to implement that within the team? Who is there to stop him doing that in the team?

shujan
June 8, 2008, 01:40 PM
Rabz, I am starting to have doubts about Siddons too. I think Miraz bhai summed it up best when he said we look like two different teams during a game: a confident, energetic team when we go in to bowl and a scared, nervous team when we go in to bat. At the international level, a coach HAS TO be a good motivator, and Siddons is not doing a very good job at it.

JS doubt has crossed my mind. Australia with JS was unbeatable. After JS left for Bangladesh Australia is not doing so well. They lost quite a few matches. What does it tell?

Blaming JS is the easy way out! Problem is way deeper then that. Our BCB is not the same as world cup. Selectors are different. I do not trust any of these to set aside their issue and think what is best for the country!Our selectors are experimenting with new faces which is not working at all. They are so stubborn with their idea that selectors are unwilling to reconsider anything.

Rabz
June 8, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks Dhurr, Miraz bhai,Banfan.

I think what we going thru is a silent revolution in our cricket.
Only problem is this revolution is going to do more harm in our long turn.
...and for short term? i guess we all can see the effect.

The boys have forgotten what it means to be in the winning outfit.
They forgot how it feels to walk in the middle with the notion that they are expected to win and more importantly, they BELIEVE that they CAN win.

What Dav has done in 4 long hard years, Siddons is undoing them in just 8 months.

I'd be glad if he could prove me wrong, but right now, i can hardly see the ray of hope here.

Murad
June 8, 2008, 01:51 PM

He said, "They have batted well" not We.

Don't just make up something and post here to make some fun..

Russell2k7
June 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
There is very little a coach can do when we have bunch of impotent fools. Our real ability was shown during the wc when the Irish thrashed us.

Rabz
June 8, 2008, 01:57 PM
JS doubt has crossed my mind. Australia with JS was unbeatable. After JS left for Bangladesh Australia is not doing so well. They lost quite a few matches. What does it tell?

My friend, JS was assistant coach to John Buchanan, who was the MAIN coach of Australia. It is JB is who credited much with the rise and rise of Australian cricket.

And you talking about unbeatable Aussies?
That was due to the crop of once-in-a-lifetime players they had in one single generation. Guys like Steve and Mark Waugh, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Jason Gillespie, Shane Warne, Glen McGrath, Brett Lee could ran havoc into ANY team in the world, and they did.

Even the guys in the pipeline who could never make it to the team were equally top world class, if not better. Does the name Michael Hussy ring a bell?

Siddons was merely the apprentice of Buchanan.

Blaming JS is the easy way out! Problem is way deeper then that. Our BCB is not the same as world cup. Selectors are different. I do not trust any of these to set aside their issue and think what is best for the country!Our selectors are experimenting with new faces which is not working at all. They are so stubborn with their idea that selectors are unwilling to reconsider anything.

Yes, selectors are different.
But has the players changed?

Our core players are still Ashraful, Aftab, Mashrafee, Tamim, Shahriar Nafees, Razzak.
They are still the nucleas of the team and they are meant to carry the weight while the team rebuilds around them.

Have they risen to the occasion?

A change or two in the team still doesn not justify the terrible performance by the core players and hence the team as a whole.

djnaved
June 8, 2008, 02:17 PM
He said, "They have batted well" not We.

Don't just make up something and post here to make some fun..

yes he also said they, but he also said we, arun lal asked about the question about our batting then he said we......i heard both of the words.maybe it's my mistake

BANFAN
June 8, 2008, 02:21 PM

Shujan, to you it might aparently look, that JS is an excellent coach. But if you change the data input; "JS was not the Headcoach of Aus", probably you will see a whole lot of different reasons.

BCB, Selectors etc are not dealing with the players and team strategies. Players are more or less the same. For not having the desire to win, if you have to blame some one, it has to be coach. He even told in public to not to think of winning, have you forgotten that? Just because he is an Australian, you don't have to extend a blind support. Ausies also make mistakes and could be dumbs :)

BD-Shardul
June 8, 2008, 02:22 PM
আমাদের খেলা এক কথায় জঘণ্য

jamshedu
June 8, 2008, 02:22 PM
cricket is about practice. If you select players directly from U19 with too much of fast tracking, will they play well in senior cricket? :-/ How many first class matches did each BD cricketer play before joining national team??

For national cricket team to improve, club cricket should also be improved. Between international matches, players have to play many club matches. With BD being a small country, why dont club teams from BD come and play with domestic teams in Pak, India or SL?

'A' tours have also be improved. If players like Dolar who are brought into the side from U19 without experience, they may shine in one or two matches. But consistency cannot be achieved.

What can JS do without players getting experience before joining national team?

BANFAN
June 8, 2008, 02:41 PM
What can JS do without players getting experience before joining national team?

Jamshedu, How could WM do even before JS? How could we win before JS came? All Fluke?

Why doesn't even fluke happen under JS?

Foozy
June 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
Sorry guys, i know this is out of context here... but does any1 know what happened to the opening page of banglacricket?
we used to have this little thing on the top-left that would have the recently used threads.. we dont have that anymore... why? I really loved that thing and I used to use it all the time...
can some1 let me know whats going on? or if i have to download something to make it work again? ....mods maybe can give me a heads up on this saying that it will b fixed soon or somethin?
....k thanx! :-/

jamshedu
June 8, 2008, 03:06 PM
Jamshedu, How could WM do even before JS? How could we win before JS came? All Fluke?

Why doesn't even fluke happen under JS?

Even under WM, you didn't win consistently (you disagree but it is a fact). Why wasn't consistency not achieved?

WM was good in identifying junior cricketers. That's where it ended. When he was coach of SL, or now coach of U19 India, he idenitifies cricketers who are good and revolves his strategies around that.

Such thing of young cricketers + strategy making suited your team and WM well, but even then it wasn't consistent.

JS is used to Australian coaching where players play till 30 years before coming to the national side. In other words, they identify talent and polish the talent for years before releasing. IMO, that is the correct method (which is why they are consistent) JS isn't used to this fast tracking.

fast tracking can achieve results 1 or 2 but never consistently. You may be thinking WM achieved great results. Even before WM, BD beat Pakistan as far as back as 1999 in the World Cup (Pak was the runner up then!). Beating one side or 2 isn't the game, beating them consistently is the game.

djnaved
June 8, 2008, 03:10 PM
Even under WM, you didn't win consistently (you disagree but it is a fact). Why wasn't consistency not achieved?

WM was good in identifying junior cricketers. That's where it ended. When he was coach of SL, or now coach of U19 India, he idenitifies cricketers who are good and revolves his strategies around that.

Such thing of young cricketers + strategy making suited your team and WM well, but even then it wasn't consistent.

JS is used to Australian coaching where players play till 30 years before coming to the national side. In other words, they identify talent and polish the talent for years before releasing. IMO, that is the correct method (which is why they are consistent) JS isn't used to this fast tracking.

fast tracking can achieve results 1 or 2 but never consistently. You may be thinking WM achieved great results. Even before WM, BD beat Pakistan as far as back as 1999 in the World Cup (Pak was the runner up then!). Beating one side or 2 isn't the game, beating them consistently is the game.

100% agree with you. That's why I wasn't interested for Siddons to be the coach of BD. I was interested for coaches that worked with sub-continental continent earlier...

Tehsin
June 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
While the sole reason for a loss was not JS or Ashraful, this kind of mentality is surely to be blamed for the decline of the BD team (from a 'could be trouble on their good day' to 'toothless and gutless" side) under JS:

"It was impossible chasing down 233 runs in 40 overs. It was a tough task. Actually our bowlers let the team down and they should take a long, hard look at themselves," said the shaven-headed coach when asked whether his batsmen went to the middle with the target of a victory.

This is from the Daily Star.

Tehsin
June 8, 2008, 04:38 PM
Obviously, the team does not believe that they can score past 200 in an ODI. Reality is, that has been proven time and again. However, we won't be able to score 200+ if we give up even before the match starts.

The attitude is a big part of the game. You look at teams like Kenya, (the current) Zimbabwe, Ireland and this guys put up a fight against the best even with what little they have. They have good players who are consistent. The only advantage that they have over our players would be the media and fan expectations. Other then that, our players should not have any reason to play as horribly as they do consistently.

Antora
June 8, 2008, 05:51 PM
আমাদের খেলা এক কথায় জঘণ্য

i agree with you 100% and yet i still watch it.:-|

djnaved
June 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
"It was impossible chasing down 233 runs in 40 overs. It was a tough task. Actually our bowlers let the team down and they should take a long, hard look at themselves," said the shaven-headed coach when asked whether his batsmen went to the middle with the target of a victory.

The first inning of pakistan told the bottom line of the game. The result was made there. The coach is looking for defensive shot rater than playing attacking shot. remember Australia vs South Africa game, Aussie scored like 400 somthing runs, and it was like a world record. The result was made there, but who knew that SA chased that score? Cricket is a miracle game, anything can happen. Harte Harte jita jai, jitte jitte hara jai. Siddons is happy with loosing matches, he is not looking for team effort. One thing that Whatmore did the best was to improve the fielding side of the team, during his time, when our field good, then our bowling becomes good, then our batting becomes good. Now this time, when we field good, it's time to lose the game.

Pundit
June 8, 2008, 09:29 PM
Sigh, it was only a year ago that we were basking in the golden age of BD cricket. How fast have things changed!

We don't have the legendary top order batsman and captain called Bashar. We miss the obdurate Javed Omar Belim, whose Midas like touch with the bat set us up for a 300+ score. We don't have the magician Rafique, the wizard Khaled Mashud, the herculeun Saleh. And ofcourse, the Grand Pubah of all...Whatmore.

Our team now is strung with batsmen whose career began not too long before the New Year, yes of this year...an aging Strike bowler called Masri, whose work horse ethics still brings him those 2 compulsory wickets from the 7th and 8th batsmen of the opposition team...and hence he persists with his average of 36. Our "Magura Miandad" is hooked to studies, and the able opener of once, Shariar Nafees is nothing but a pale imitation of his stupendous past.

And of the Captain, apparently we not know what of him we want, as much as he knows of himeself. Is it a 3 ball 12, or a 75 ball 50. Either way, he is a loser.

And ofcourse the coach himself - oh yes that fine debutant.

Yes, I look back to that Golden age - when like one of you just mentioned, "we had the habit of winning." We did? No, it was not a habit, how dare you, it was a God gifted right - don't you remember Cardiff, Nottingham, Dhaka.....

...yes, only too well, as I can still count those victories, in slow motion, and still find the hand of the clock yet to treverse that period called a Second.

And that is what we don't have anymore.

imtiaz82
June 8, 2008, 11:53 PM
Maybe we need Whatmore back? Atleast during his coaching we won some matches against big teams like Australia, India and South Africa..

bossman111
June 9, 2008, 12:01 AM
I can't believe you guys are so harsh on JS. In cricket, coaches are mere assistants. It is up to the players to come up to he challenge. They do not dictate how a match is played in terms of tactics and the like. That is the captains job. And clearly with Ash as the skipper, he has been handed an idiot who really hasnt got a clue about the game. He is an uninspiring leader, who does not understand the game. HB at least had some grasp on how a real batsman would think when setting his fields, making bowling changes etc.

Stop using the coach as a scapegoat and come to the realisation that it is the players who are letting the coach down, led by perhaps one of the stupidest international skippers ever, Mohammad Ashraful.

sunny747
June 9, 2008, 12:04 AM
only good thing i have noticed is their fitness. All of them has noticeably lost weight.

BANFAN
June 9, 2008, 12:12 AM

Sure why not, if we cannot win consistently, why should we win? Let us first be Aus and then start winnning. Right, ok with me if that is the way an Ausie coach thinks. I like it.

Infact WM was not 100% consistent on loosing, But JS is much more consistent in loosing. Our coach is teaching us consistency, so focus and try to understand what is consistency, don't focus on team result.

WM turned Ash into a Matchwinner, but not so consistent. But JS is turning Ash into Abul, and he must be a consistent Abul. So don't care about what he is becoming, just see how consistently he is Abuling !

Graet Support Man. I like it

adel
June 9, 2008, 12:19 AM
Disappointment in understatement by any means. The team have not performed to their highest potential in a very long time, I agree with that. BUT, why is it that you are registered on this site? Why is it that you follow their matches? Why is it that you have hundreds of thousand of posts on this site about them? I'll tell you the answer to all these questions, it's the Bangladesh cricket team. If you despise them so much..if you hate the way they play so much...if you dislike their attitude so much, then my advice is to you: stop following Bangladesh cricket and then all you're problems will be solved....Just remember this: they are eleven people and they carry the hopes of over one hundred million people, put yourself in their shoes. How do you feel?

SMHasan
June 9, 2008, 02:24 AM
To the thread starter:

You said that Bangladesh cricket is dying slowly but you don't know the updated news. The news is that Bangladesh cricket has died last night at his home in Mirpur. I have opened a thread regarding this please click here (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=26933) .

Thank you.

nahaz
June 9, 2008, 02:58 AM
Ash blocked out the last over of the match .so what? Get over it ppl. If I was the captain of such a hopeless batting side i'd not care either...we lost when mushfique got out...trust me, it's gonna get worse,...i dnno why ash played so defensive in the last ten overs...but ifhedidn't we'd prob be all out by 33rd over. i don't like jamie's approach

Sohel
June 9, 2008, 03:00 AM
Rabz,

Top post and thank you for it.

I'm not quite where you are when it comes to Coach Siddons but I sure am getting there quicker than I'd care to.

I think a lot is getting lost in translation and Coach Siddons just doesn't seem to get it. For example: -

1."Team batting rules" according to him, presumably, is all about responsible batting and when appropriate, playing shots along the ground.

What we've seen instead is the annoyingly steady GOLLAFICATION of players like Zunaed, Ashraful, Aftab and Dhiman. I mean, if we must be subjected to Ash blocking full-tosses and half-volleys, and leaving balls outside his off stump or at his pads, why not bring back Golla or Rajin ?

Only Tamim seems to get what he's talking about while Abir has managed to stay the same, pretty much.

That said, his fielding seems to have improved again and he has lost a few kilos.

2. "Tough love" according to him, presumably, is "realistic expectations". Sadly, once you subtract "hope" from that equation, and don't balance its overall effect with well-deserved positive affirmation when called for -- "tough love" can become "abuse" just as easily.

Our players are visibly demoralized and their refusal to try and give a Top 8 team the fight necessary worthy of a test playing nation, especially with the bat, is the net result.

I think Coach Siddons needs to have SEVERAL long chat sessions with Richard McInnes and Bulbul to have a better grip of how he's really influencing the players, and make the necessary adjustments ASAP.

If on the other hand, he cannot make those adjustments, he will end up doing more harm than good with a talented group of youngsters.

I know some of us -- perhaps driven by our own mediocrity, or the simple inability to recognize talent -- like to celebrate mediocrity and wallow in nostagia of the ICC Trophy years of battling Kenya, Scotland and Hong Kong, but this group of youngsters, as rough as they may be, are still the most talented cricketers we've produced to date.

To kill the fire inside the hearts of these fine young men in the name of "learning application" is simply unacceptable.

We do not need Kamal-Chappell 2.0, not after WC 2007, period.

Peace, Sohel Bhai ... :)

BD-Shardul
June 9, 2008, 03:24 AM
Yesterday, what our batters lacked is confidence. When they come to bat, they looked afraid from th very beginning. They probably think like this

"Jodi out hoiya jai......"

thebest
June 9, 2008, 07:55 AM

It tells nothing. How many team can even compete after losing Langer, Haydo (he is not playing in WI), Martyn and Gilly as batsman. JS is a loser. To blame Aus downfall (Australia yet to draw/loss a test series after JS left) and only lost I think 3 ODI (unfortunately 2 were finals of B&H) to JS leave from Aussi set up is giving to much importance to JS. He has already proven that he is a proven loser because only a loser dare to dream of winning. If Greek Manager O Rehegal thought that they could not win Euro 2004 because the difference between them and other 15 teams are too much then they would not have won EURO 2004. Same goes for DW. If I remember correctly SL was badly beaten by the Aussi in B&H which preceded WC96. But DW did not consider the gap as too large to cross. He strategies accordingly and rest is history. Same goes for O Rehegal. As a coach/manager you have to make strategy that neutralize opposition's strength and augment your strength. JS is failing to do that consistently. I have not yet seen a single instance from JS part which tried to unsettle opposition calculation.
JS must Go

Pundit
June 9, 2008, 08:20 AM
SOHEL bhai -

I think like Mcinnes, Siddons will work out how to better communicate with the team, eventually. I know, I use the word EVENTUALLY with risk here.

Mcinnes was thoroughly thrashed by fans here in his early days. No offense, but may I ask you where you were on the globe exactly at that time ? I just want to know - to confirm/dispel other thoughts I have, not about mCINNES or you, but about Siddons.

Also, he is trying to teach players how to bat in the classical sense. Knowing our short comings, you will have to admit that this is a huge task?

crikfreak
June 9, 2008, 10:16 AM
there is a saying "every cloud has a silver lining".. but i dont see a silver lining in the cloud we are in rite now.. the cloud of despair and humiliation.. the cloud of devastation and destruction of our team.. only solution is.. sack JS.. change the captain and bring back a more mature player to be catain.. bring back the old mature players of bd whom everyone miss.. give these youngsters a break and tell them to concentrate on FC and list A cricket.. when you compare what all we had last year during the world cup and before with what we have now.. you can clearly see where the problem lies..

lamisa
June 9, 2008, 10:55 AM
There was so much promise after the world cup for Bangladesh cricket. Now there is effortless cricket from our side! This is disgusting cricket from our side!

What the heck is going on here?? :mad:

oh the wc?we won coz we had sth to motivate us-Manjarul Islam Rana's death.so do we now need sum1 to die for us to win a couple of matches?:(:(

lamisa
June 9, 2008, 10:59 AM
only good thing i have noticed is their fitness. All of them has noticeably lost weight.

but i still see ash nd mash has a protruding belly.

Rabz
June 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
Rabz,

Top post and thank you for it.

My pleasure, boro bhai.

To kill the fire inside the hearts of these fine young men in the name of "learning application" is simply unacceptable.

Perfectly put. Could not agree more.

We do not need Kamal-Chappell 2.0, not after WC 2007, period.

Where is that panic button?
I cant seem to find mine, but anxiously looking for it.

bossman111
June 10, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm going to come out and defend Siddo here. The poor guy has to teach these guys the basics of batting, like technique, temperament, range of shots etc. You take these for granted for the Top 8 nations in the world.

I'm sick of the Ashraful lovers here. To play a flash in the pan knock once every year is not good enough. Just not good enough. Jamie is trying to guide Ash to become a more consistent player. Trying to make him a leader. I applaud Jamie for that. Telling him to play his natural game won't achieve much. That's why he is so inconsistent. A bit like Andrew Symonds back in the day. Very hit and miss, but now he has full control over his game.

Remember one thing. India played so well in Australia without a coach. Just remember that. Cricket is not a coaches game. If a team is not performing, maybe you should have a long hard look at the players in it? (Especially the leader)

Baundule
June 10, 2008, 09:36 AM
I'm going to come out and defend Siddo here. The poor guy has to teach these guys the basics of batting, like technique, temperament, range of shots etc. You take these for granted for the Top 8 nations in the world.

Your comment is undermining the BD cricket. Probably, Siddons also has the same idea: he is thinking our wins as flukes and considering us as a new-kid in cricket. These days, coaches are not supposed to teach the basics of cricket to a national team player. On technical side, they can work on fine tuning the skills of his players. If any player does not know cricket basic, the coach will send him to some training academy, not keep him in the squad.

He needs to concentrate more on strategical stuffs. And he failed on that. The way he praised Ashfool after his completely useless innings, the way he instructed the fielding plan, I must say Siddons himself should learn some strategical basics in stead.

fwullah
June 10, 2008, 10:16 AM
While the sole reason for a loss was not JS or Ashraful, this kind of mentality is surely to be blamed for the decline of the BD team (from a 'could be trouble on their good day' to 'toothless and gutless" side) under JS:

Does it mean that Shahadat Hossain, who has been playing so well, will sit out in the next ODI?

fwullah
June 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
Questions for JS so far:

1. Shahriar Nafees: Why the hell is this poor fellow completely unsettled? How come he's so much lacking in confidence vs. Pak? Is it just combination of bad form and complete lack of self-esteem, or did JS do anything about that?

2. Tamim Iqbal: Why is he still unable to turn his low, yet consistent scores into big ones? Did JS do anything about that?

3. Aftab Ahmed: Aftab was trying to become a Senior Player, like bat responsibly even before JS arrived into the scene - like Ash did in the first game in this Kit ply tournament. Did he get guidance from JS on how to do that?

4. Md. Ashraful: Is he getting guidance from JS on how to balance his game? We have seen him in the past to become either really aggressive or playing too carefully - he needs guidance on how to play in between - did JS talk to him?

sayem
June 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
BD are the worse team in the history...disgraceful

Rabz
June 10, 2008, 11:18 AM
BD are the worse team in the history...disgraceful

In the history of?

-world cricket?
-bd cricket?
-modern era cricket?
-in all sports combined?

im confused.:timeout:

abu2abu
June 10, 2008, 11:20 AM
BD are a poor test side, that is a fact. our cricketers are medicore compared to the other major nations, even in ODIs.

However, it is looking increasingly like Siddons is out of his depth coaching an international side so (comparatively) early in his career....

BANFAN
June 10, 2008, 12:18 PM

I'm sick of the Ashraful lovers here. To play a flash in the pan knock once every year is not good enough. Just not good enough. Jamie is trying to guide Ash to become a more consistent player. Trying to make him a leader. I applaud Jamie for that. Telling him to play his natural game won't achieve much. That's why he is so inconsistent. A bit like Andrew Symonds back in the day. Very hit and miss, but now he has full control over his game.

Remember one thing. India played so well in Australia without a coach. Just remember that. Cricket is not a coaches game. If a team is not performing, maybe you should have a long hard look at the players in it? (Especially the leader)

You answered yourself. We don't need JS.

That's what we all are telling that JS is fidling too much at the cost of present. That makes him unsuitable for coaching. Ausi coach definitely didn't make simonds lose matches to have control on his game. ??

zainab
June 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
Something strange is going on in the camp. IMO, siddons negative attitude is dragging down the confidence of this young team and in the long term, would destroy the confidence and gung ho of this team. i agree, the fielding was great against the pakistanis, but the players had no inkling how to bat. They were unsure and at one time I thought that they were afraid to bat and they wanted to be out of the crease.
They should have had a month long training camp of batting practice with siddons before facing any international team. The problem with siddons is that he does not spend enough time with the team, he is always on holidays, wonder if he is going to take another holiday after this series.
I think that he is the worst coach that can coach this team, and the sooner BCB gets rid of him, it is better for this team, they really do not need him.

Abirz
June 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
There wont be any change in the players performances unless they realise themselves that where they are and where they're going. This can be achieved by maintaining a constant team without any changes for at least 3-4 matches, after ehich if the players are playing bad then they'll realise it and try to improve.

And if they still cant improve their performance then i suggest the whole team to implement a vigourous fitness capm cause at the moment all the players have talent but they dont have enough fitness to fully use their talents. If you take a look at South African and Australian players all their players are well built and fit.If our players dont build up some muscles they arent going to find that power that they need during a match.

How can a couple of skimpy boys who grew up eating panta bhat compete against muscular men having more nutritious meals. :o

Pundit
June 11, 2008, 10:58 AM
When I had a job re-location, I had to go back to my previous place thrice to make sure my life was set at my new place.

Someone who saw me from the outside may have thought that I was taking holidays or vacations.

But I was not.

smashyboy
June 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
I agree with 2nd poster. I don't think BD reached a world class standard at any point to consider their standard has gone down. They win occasionally. In the world cups they won against SA and India.. But you forgot to mention they lost to Ireland. So basically those wins are either opposition dropping their guard or self-destructing. One-off wins should not be used an indication of growth. You have to win a series.

nsd3
June 17, 2008, 01:19 AM
The Aussie style is to set the tough love in mind to generate knowledge on what one has then to make a determined, stubborn and consistent fellow. The history also shows how the Aussies went up through real hard work, determination after many were thrown into the continent from Europe. The green cap is a highly respected treasure in Aussie cricket as every Australian knows how hard they work to achieve what they have achieved today.

MiccInnes also tried similar therapy by instilling determination (and making jedi) inside SN by ignoring him from selection sometimes. When SN scored the hundred at Fatullah, I remember, he was saying (newspaper) how RM brought the best out of him. Rajib also did good in the 2nd innings of (I guess) the Academy team match in Harare (a search on McInnes' match updates in BC would help) after his ordinary bowling in the 1st innings.

Siddons might be trying to do the same by saying the hard things and making the players give their best to show how good they really are. Regarding Ashraful's recent batting - I see JS is trying to make a balance of playing shots and playing safe through him. Currently Ashraful seems to go in the 2nd phase - playing safe (the 1st phase of playing shots must have been completed several times before). We all need to wait more with patience to see if what we are saying here now is correct or not.

BANFAN
June 17, 2008, 01:51 AM
Depends on how organized a person you are !!! had so many relocations, but never had to take fixing leaves to be comfortable with the present :)

otherwise JS has proven himself to be a bit disorganized from the begining, by losing CD, losing Data, No Knowledge of Players, cancelling policies in the middle etc etc. Sort of a confused guy.