PDA

View Full Version : A trick missed, we couldn't make the contract

Tigers_eye
June 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
Either I do not understand the cricket game or there is something missing in our strategy formulation and implementation. While opponents bat and we can not get them out, isn't it the task for the captain to make the opponents as uncomfortable as they can be while batting?

Mohammad Yousuf is the most important pillar in Pakistani batting lineup. Anyone disagrees? His game is all about 1s and 2's (Anyone disagrees?). Even with that he can easily maintain over a 100 strike rate. So when one (a captain) can't get Mo Yo out what he is suppose to do? At least make him uncomfortable while he is batting. May be he will take a risk. May be just may be he will try to do something else, out of the ordinary to keep the runs ticking. With all this just may be we will create a chance or two for him to get out? May be a run out even? So, isn't drying up his single's and two's should be the main criteria for the fielding captain while facing Mo Yo?

In the first tri-series match, the time Mohammad Yousuf came into bat we took 3rd powerplay!! We introduced Dolar at that very moment. Seven men inside the box. Singles dried up!! He was struggling even though he had hit one over the fielders head for four. The Irony is, after the powerplay was over our captain backed away his fielders and he started to play easily. Run a ball and some kept pilling. The game got out of our hands.

Why couldn't our coach and captain change fielding while MoYo was batting? bring in players while he is at the strike and back them up while Butt is at the strike. Does one have to graduate college to understand these type of strategic moves? If getting fined for slow over-rate becomes a concern than these strategies needs to do discussed behind the close doors and implemented with urgency. With sign language may be like baseball? In Ice Hockey and Basketball, players are switched for offensive and defensive purposes. The coaches control that.

Where is Zia, Rajib, Rakib and Niaz? Who knows more than the importance of strategic moves than them in the whole country?

Clearly after Khaled Mahmud we haven't seen any captain who knew the game and implemented strategies that would help the team. Nowadays, BD have better players bowlers and batsmen. Yet the defeats seemed to get bigger and bigger by each game. Sometimes we see committment from the players sometimes we don't.

The coach seems to focus on the technical side of the game and improve the skills of the players. However in the field I have yet to see any innovative strategy applied to restrict opponent less than their averages. One has to create chances not wait for the opponent make mistake. Team management wake up please. Let the computer analyst be the most important team member in creating strategy.

If there is a trick you have to cash it in. Failure to do so will eventually lose the hand and the contract (contract bridge).

Kabir
June 9, 2008, 01:31 PM
That's a technique that we use even in league match...let along international game. That's something which works at every level of cricket.

Tigers_eye
June 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
Another issue I saw is Butt playing the sweep on Abdur Razzak. In each over, he saw (watched very carefully) the first ball and the second ball he swept it for one, two or four. While watching the game I could tell when the sweep shot was coming. Why couldn't the coach, captain or the bowler tell?

Installing a sweeper would definitely made him (Salman Butt) do something out of the ordinary.

Kabir
June 9, 2008, 01:38 PM
Bhaijan...once "common sense" is commodified, I'm sure BCB will make sure that the captain and the coach gets a 100 gm dose before each game. But until then, please don't waste your energy thinking of why they cannot do it otherwise.

al Furqaan
June 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
i am increasingly convinced that ashraful is no better than bashar in terms of captaincy. even shoaib malik's captaincy is far better.

Kabir
June 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
Come to think of it, I think Bashar's captaincy was much better than Ashraful.

Rabz
June 9, 2008, 01:49 PM
Very very good observation, T_E.

You certainly raise a good point here. Often at times, you gotta think outside the box. And this is where the management/support staff come into play. The IT guy (i think its been Nashu for a long time if my info's are updated), assistant coach, and the coach himself got to show their magic.

May be Siddons job is too cut out at the moment involving 'just' the players, given the fact he does not have an assistant.

This strategic thinking by the Saffers lead to our demise in the tests, right after they coped it in the practice match.

What they did?
They bowled constantly outside the off corrider knowing our players cant help but to go after it, and we did oblige.

I think our think-tank is not thinking.

..by the way...
do we have a think tank?

Rifat
June 9, 2008, 02:19 PM

i wholeheartedly agree with that statement

Gowza
June 9, 2008, 06:14 PM
fielding positions are up to the captain tbh, for all we know siddons could have advised ashraful on how to set fields against certain players in certain situations but ashraful ignored him.

but the general idea is to slow the run rate and take wickets, the way in which to do that is up to the captain but yes making the batsmen uncomfortable seems to be a strategy that does work fairly often.

Eshen
June 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
What are you talking about T_E ??? Don't you know that Yousuf is a super human ??? Why do you even want to waste your time thinking how to stop him from scoring runs ???

Foozy
June 9, 2008, 08:05 PM
I have been thinking of the same Yousuf factor earlier as well. Even during our series against them. And it is really weird how they dont do that. I would even use the trick against other players like Dravid of India or Kallis of SA. Especially in the earlier overs. If he settles down, then move them fielders back.
Putting pressure on new batsmen, especially teh ones who are not cumfy with playing shots in the air... its the perfect way to get at them before they settle down.

BANFAN
June 10, 2008, 01:14 AM
This mistake is being done by our Captains since **** BC.

If the batsmen are not being able to score during the field restrictions period, still they would open up the field for singles immediately after the powerplays are over. They are so chicken hearted that can't take the risk of one 4/6, incase if the batsmen want to take risk.

Our Actions and expectations never match. We act and rearely know the consequences, so we expect something else.

Baundule
June 10, 2008, 03:18 AM
You can not blame anyone. It was on the coach's manual. Don't tell me that you Mr. T_E know better than JS. Did you ever play any FC cricket?

It was in the 'plan' that after the power play fielders will spread out, it was in the plan that Dollar will bowl only 4 overs, you know, he is a kid and so he should not be exposed much against the strong paki batsmen.

It was the same during our legendary captain HaBa and the great DW. It is and will be the same during our all-time best player Ashfool and promising 'talented' coach JS. We must respect our tradition. Who are you to teach us innovative and adaptive strategy? Mia, beshi bujhen?

Tigers_eye
June 10, 2008, 07:32 AM
Amar maaf chaitey kono oshubidha nai.

Sorry, bhul hoiye gasey!!

By the way, in Pakistan, while fielding, in one over three times in a row (four times in that over) Malik and someone else pushed the ball to the long off and long on and took two runs each time. Yet gobet coach or captain or the bowler or any other player made any kind of adjustment. I mean just bring in the on and off player closer. Let them try to take two and get runout. At least they would be hesitent to take the second run. This was during the 40th over I think of a 50 over match.

If we can't show that we are learning they we should not expect anything but mediocre.

Sovik
June 10, 2008, 08:40 AM
In the first tri-series match, the time Mohammad Yousuf came into bat we took 3rd powerplay!! We introduced Dolar at that very moment. Seven men inside the box. Singles dried up!! He was struggling even though he had hit one over the fielders head for four. The Irony is, after the powerplay was over our captain backed away his fielders and he started to play easily. Run a ball and some kept pilling. The game got out of our hands.

didn't bashar do the same thing against dhoni last year and cost us the match.

Baundule
June 10, 2008, 08:41 AM
nah, apnake maaf kora jabe na, ekhono amader 'think tank' ke gyan ditasen.

Tigers_eye
June 10, 2008, 08:52 AM
didn't bashar do the same thing against dhoni last year and cost us the match.
Bashar's stuff was close to criminal act. India was 5 down and chasing 240+ total. Pakistan was 2 down in the last match when that happened.

Beamer
June 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
T_E is right for once ! MoYo's game is built around, at least initially, finding gaps in soft holes and keep the innings rolling. He is a master at that. A captain must make it as difficult as possible to prevent him from doing that and let him play out of his initial comfort zone. Besides that, he is very much prone to run outs and at times, guilty of running his partner out. So, one must pay attention to these individual characteristics of a key opponent. Of course, the bowler has to co operate as well. He can't give away half volleys or short balls every over. If he does that, all initiatives will falter, but, I agree that the captain must set the field accordingly to show faith in his bowlers. Our PP strategy from the Bashar day hasn't changed one bit. Its always the same script, same bowlers operating after certain overs, regardless of the match situation. See a captain also has to be a student of the game. Coaches can't help him from the stand over by over. He has to do it himself.

KnightBD
June 10, 2008, 09:46 AM
Ash's captaincy is one of the worst in the world. He was blaming bowlers to give a bad start, but when you see one of your bowler is giving a lot of runs from one side, why don't you substitute with the third pacer, when you have the option? Dollar opened bowling in a lot of games and at least try to see if you can check the runs. NO, but what our captain did, he let shahdat complete his "precalculated" overs!!! Anybody else from the team can captain far better, i believe. Just because Ash is our best batsman, doesnot give an automatic choice for captaincy. Isnt it?

akabir77
June 10, 2008, 10:16 AM
All i have to say You might be a great Player but you can't be a even good captain. For example

The ICC Final Match between BD and Kenya did you guys remember the last ball? When we needed one run Tikolo was trying to save 4. Thats the difference between a tactician like sujon and a bolod like ashrafull...

Tigers_eye
June 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
T_E is right for once ! ...
Dil may chakku!!!
Bhishon bhetha paisi. Even Shakib bashing'eao atho betha pai nai.

Ei betha'r protishod Liverpool agami boshor koroi gondai dibey. Down goes Manure.

Beamer
June 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
Meant to say right for once for today...

I am coming around with Sakib. Once I start bashing a player, two things happen usually-either he gets better or he disappears for good! He is taking the first route. Who wants to get hit by a Beamer? ha? nobody..

Liverpool prothishod? ha ha ha..now that is funny..Count your lucky star that you had Torres, or you might be playing in UEFA cup next year..

safaat
June 10, 2008, 01:10 PM
Either I do not understand the cricket game or there is something missing in our strategy formulation and implementation. While opponents bat and we can not get them out, isn't it the task for the captain to make the opponents as uncomfortable as they can be while batting?

Mohammad Yousuf is the most important pillar in Pakistani batting lineup. Anyone disagrees? His game is all about 1s and 2's (Anyone disagrees?). Even with that he can easily maintain over a 100 strike rate. So when one (a captain) can't get Mo Yo out what he is suppose to do? At least make him uncomfortable while he is batting. May be he will take a risk. May be just may be he will try to do something else, out of the ordinary to keep the runs ticking. With all this just may be we will create a chance or two for him to get out? May be a run out even? So, isn't drying up his single's and two's should be the main criteria for the fielding captain while facing Mo Yo?

Why couldn't our coach and captain change fielding while MoYo was batting? bring in players while he is at the strike and back them up while Butt is at the strike. Does one have to graduate college to understand these type of strategic moves? If getting fined for slow over-rate becomes a concern than these strategies needs to do discussed behind the close doors and implemented with urgency. With sign language may be like baseball? In Ice Hockey and Basketball, players are switched for offensive and defensive purposes. The coaches control that.

Where is Zia, Rajib, Rakib and Niaz? Who knows more than the importance of strategic moves than them in the whole country?

Clearly after Khaled Mahmud we haven't seen any captain who knew the game and implemented strategies that would help the team. Nowadays, BD have better players bowlers and batsmen. Yet the defeats seemed to get bigger and bigger by each game. Sometimes we see committment from the players sometimes we don't.

The coach seems to focus on the technical side of the game and improve the skills of the players. However in the field I have yet to see any innovative strategy applied to restrict opponent less than their averages. One has to create chances not wait for the opponent make mistake. Team management wake up please. Let the computer analyst be the most important team member in creating strategy.

If there is a trick you have to cash it in. Failure to do so will eventually lose the hand and the contract (contract bridge).

I just get the feeling that Jamie Siddons is concentrating a bit too much on ASH and loosing focus on the overall plot. Strategic thinking from ASH would almost be dream as his batting in itself is a prove as to how much he understands situations. But from a guy considered a legend in the most competitive domestic circuit you would expcet some sort of proper strategies.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
One the feild while bowling <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> didn't seem to have ant sort of a plan in place. Salman Butt was again fed on leg stump for the sixth time. The results of bowling outside offstump to him clearly showed in todays incounter as he got out with creating a major concern in the Indian camp admittedly to a blinder of a catch. Yousuf was provided with easy singles with a wide spread field.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Siddons in the post match press confrence complained about high totals that are being needed to be chased. Although the bowling attack is currently suffering from a situtation similar to that of what England suffer post Ashes, one would have to say once Russel and Sakib come back to support Mash and Razzaq, with people like Alok and Riyad to cover for Rafiques spot (which may be a too big an ask in the long term) the scores may start to go down.<o:p></o:p>
However having said that there seems to be no planning in the current setup, which is probably the result of JS not being "too concerned" with results. However what JS fails to understand is that players in a team can only find there right roles and combinations once they start winning. That is what exactly happened to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> in the build up to the World Cup. Admitted against weak oppositions, but consistently winning helped the individuals to understand their role and as a team create a winning strategy.<o:p></o:p>
And it was visible. We all knew before <st1:country-region w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:country-region> took on the feild against <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> in the WC that Russel would be look to bowl off his ten overs on the trought, while looking to keep things tight and perhaps nip 1 or two out. We all knew that it would be Mashrafee would look to strike an early blow after which he would be replaced by Razzaq. And then along with Rafique and Sakib the spin trio would look to suffocate the opposition with Mashrafee joining Rafique and Razzaq for the last over.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
However what is the strategy now? <o:p></o:p>
A proper question would be what was wrong with that strategy in the first place? Yes rafique has retired. Replace him with either Alok/Riyad. Yes Russel is injured. Have some one else fill in that role but not Shahdat. Not because of talent but because of his accuracy. His natural length is a back of a length delivery, which to go with is errattic discipline makes him a costly bowler (although in the last game all the bowlers were guilty of bwling short). I liked what Dolar had to dish out and may be he could work in as a replacement.<o:p></o:p>
But there aren’t any need of radical changes in game plan which for a matter of fact does seem completely missing. <o:p></o:p>
Last year, like many I got too carried away with <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region>’s WC performance and was in complete support of sacking Bashar from the team. However somewhere down the line there was fear that with Whatmore leaving and Rafique retiring there would be huge whole in the think-tank of the BD team.<o:p></o:p>
Perhaps today in hindsight having Bashar in the team would have brought that stability required out in the middle, if not the aggression. <o:p></o:p>

Tigers_eye
June 10, 2008, 01:44 PM
Safaat bhai,
shob'i thik chilo khali last sentence'tatey ektu bhejal laigey gasey.

No team wants a non-performing capitano.

al Furqaan
June 10, 2008, 07:31 PM

bashar's captaincy was not any better than ashraful's, it just wasn't any worse.

ash does the same bashar thing of going for all power plays concurrently regardless of match situation. as long as the PPs are used before the 40th over, i don't see why we have to use them inside 20 overs all the damn time.

fwullah
June 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
Ashraful is not old enough to know all these things. May be he will learn in future, or may be he won't learn anything in 10 years.

He's only a scapegoat to pass the time until we can find a new captain.

Rabz
June 11, 2008, 10:05 AM
Ashraful is not old enough to know all these things. May be he will learn in future, or may be he won't learn anything in 10 years.

He's only a scapegoat to pass the time until we can find a new captain.

How old you want him to be?
He has been in the scene for a good 7 years and hovering at around 27 years of age, i guess he have to learn quick, whatever that learning is.

Not to compare, but Graeme Smith, Dhoni, Shoaib Malik, all of them are of pretty much same age too.