PDA

View Full Version : GP-BCB Academy for 2008-09

Miraz
June 12, 2008, 02:46 PM
The following cricketers have been selected for the GP-BCB National Cricket Academy for 2008-09:

1. Zunaed Siddique
2. Imrul Kayes
3. Mahbubul Karim
4. Jahurul Islam
5. Shamsur Rahman
6. Naeem Islam
7. Farhad Hossain
8. Nadif Chowdhury
9. Marshall Ayub
10. Nasir Hossain
11. Arafat Salauddin
12. Sohrewardi Shuvo
13. Arafat Sunny
14. Raihanuddin Arafat
15. Nabil Samad
16. Sajedul Islam
17. Delwar Hossain
18. Talha Zubair
19. Mahbubul Alam (Robin)
20. Nazmul Hossain
21. Rubel Hossain
22. Ziaur Rahman
23. Dhiman Ghosh
24. Sahagir Hossain Pavel
25. Ashiqul Islam Rajib

Team Management

1. Operations Manager/Assistant Coach: Khaled Mahmud
2. Academy Head Coach: <wbr> Ruwan Kalpage
3. Physio / Fitness Trainer: Bayjedul Islam
4. Computer Analyst: <wbr> Mohammad Salauddin

Note: The names of the Captain and Vice Captain will be announced later. Khaled Mahmud has been appointed the Assistant Coach to the Academy Head Coach in addition to his normal responsibilities as Operations Manager.

Gowza
June 12, 2008, 05:16 PM
no subashis roy or sumon saha and what about dolar? i guess because he's played a couple of national team matches they're leaving him out but he should probably be on there. i think they did a pretty good job with the selections.

Eshen
June 12, 2008, 05:24 PM
Ashiqul Islam made his way into the academy from U/19 team ahead of Mithun Ali, Mahmudul Hasan, and Shuvashis Roy !!! He must be very promising as a keeper !

IMO, the squad is too big.

Gowza
June 12, 2008, 05:43 PM
Ashiqul Islam made his way into the academy from U/19 team ahead of Mithun Ali, Mahmudul Hasan, and Shuvashis Roy !!! He must be very promising as a keeper !

yes it's quite a large squad isn't it. i'm really happy to see marshall ayub, shuvo and nasir hossian in there though, they're all promising young allrounders and they offer a bit of variation.

bdchamp20
June 13, 2008, 01:01 PM

This is the roster for the whole season, the squad for each series will be made of 15 players picked from these 25 players.

bdchamp20
June 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
No Subhashish, Mahmudul Hasan, Taposh Ghosh? And the way Mushfiq is batting it looks like he needs to be in the academy team for longer.

MohammedC
June 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/88400/88457.jpg

Ziaur Rahman: He looks much bigger than Mash or Rajib. He should get special coaching from Rumesh Rathnayke. No way they should bring him in to main team for next 2 to 3 years.

ahaque
June 13, 2008, 05:08 PM
yah this guy does

Eshen
June 17, 2008, 07:48 PM
My XI's from this squad -

For 4-day matches:
Zunaed Siddique
Imrul Kayes
Farhad Hossain
Naeem Islam
Shamsur Rahman
Marshall Ayub
Dhiman Ghosh
Suhrawardi Shuvo
Sajidul Islam
Mahbubul Alam
Rubel Hossain

For 1-day matches:
Zunaed Siddique
Imrul Kayes
Shamsur Rahman
Naeem Islam
Marshall Ayub
Dhiman Ghosh
Nasir Hossain
Suhrawardi Shuvo
Mahbubul Alam
Nazmul Hossain
Talha Jubair

Nadif Chowdhury would be my 12th man for both teams.

Gowza
June 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
My XI's from this squad -

For 4-day matches:
Zunaed Siddique
Imrul Kayes
Farhad Hossain
Naeem Islam
Shamsur Rahman
Marshall Ayub
Dhiman Ghosh
Suhrawardi Shuvo
Sajidul Islam
Mahbubul Alam
Rubel Hossain

For 1-day matches:
Zunaed Siddique
Imrul Kayes
Shamsur Rahman
Naeem Islam
Marshall Ayub
Dhiman Ghosh
Nasir Hossain
Suhrawardi Shuvo
Mahbubul Alam
Nazmul Hossain
Talha Jubair

Nadif Chowdhury would be my 12th man for both teams.

i'd be keen to try nasir hossain in the longer format matches, start him young, the more he does it the better he'll get at it. unless he'd get completely overwhelmed at this level but i don't think that would happen, it's just academy cricket so there shouldn't be too much pressure on any of the players. would be tough to kick out any of the players in your line-up though, unless you took out farhad and moved shamsur up to no.3 and slotted nasir in down at 5 or 6.

Eshen
June 17, 2008, 09:42 PM
I like to see Nasir playing a full NCL season before considering him for academy longer version matches.

Farhad Hossain has shown some promise as a longer version allrounder, I think he deserves a place in the academy team in this format.

However, I am not opposed to the idea of trying Shamsur Rahman in the one-down position in longer version also. In that case, Farhad can bat at #5 position.

Eshen
June 22, 2008, 08:40 PM
There was a rumor that BCB academy would tour SA in July-August, but now CSA has posted news that it's SA academy that will tour Bangladesh.
At the end of the programme, the Academy team will tour Bangladesh to give the players more international experience.

http://www.cricket.co.za/default.asp?aId=258593&sportCategory=csa/localcricket
It does not make sense though, we have hosted SA academy in April, they should now give us a return tour.

Anyway, here is the SA academy squad that has been selected -

http://www.cricket.co.za/default.asp?cid=15604&cl=yes

yaseer
June 23, 2008, 03:20 AM
no subashis roy or sumon saha and what about dolar? i guess because he's played a couple of national team matches they're leaving him out but he should probably be on there. i think they did a pretty good job with the selections.

Me also thinking the same......

Is Talha still need to be considered in academy team? :confused:

Eshen
July 11, 2008, 11:05 AM
Academy ready for Bangladesh return game

The Standard Bank National Cricket Academy squad returns from a two-week break on Monday to resume their four-month programme at the University of Pretoria's High Performance Centre (HPC).

The squad will prepare for a return tour of South Africa by their Bangladeshi counterparts. They will play two four-day and three One-Day matches next month.

The team visited Bangladesh in April this year before they assembled at HPC for the first part of their Academy programme. The South Africans lost the first four-day match by an innings and 68 runs and drew the second one.

Academy to show vigour
"I hope the boys will return with much vigour and energy to complete the remainder of the programme," said CSA Manager of Coaching Anton Ferreira. "We also look forward to hosting the Bangladesh Cricket Union Academy who arrive early next month and try to avenge the losses the team suffered during our tour earlier in the year.”

Ferreira said they hope to put the experiences of their Bangladeshi tour to full use when the teams meet again. The matches are spread around some of the 2003 Cricket World Cup legacy projects in the Gauteng Province.

The Academy candidates will return to their unions/franchises at the conclusion of the programme on August 31, 2008. - Sapa

http://www.sabcnews.com/sport/cricket/0,2172,173056,00.html

Tigers_eye
July 11, 2008, 11:27 AM
Sadat kay era ber korey dilo? Naki A team'a permanent kortasey?

SS
July 11, 2008, 11:50 AM
I hope they get some team rule batting training...now is the time to set target for 240 type and bat along the ground...so that we they are ready to play for national team ...they can break the record of team rule or higher the team rules criteria...they should take some batting training as this is the best time to learn...i hope our high competent BCB officials can figure that out.

bdchamp20
July 11, 2008, 12:17 PM
Questionable Selections: Mahbubul Karim, Raihanuddin Arafat, Talha Zubair, Nabil Samad, Delwar Hossain and Ashiqul Islam

Missing Names: Mushfiqur Rahim, Shubashis Roy, Mahmudul Hasan, Taposh Ghosh

wrong `un
July 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
The GP-BCB Academy will be touring South Africa in August to play their South African counterparts. The itinerary of the tour is as follows:

Fri 08-Mon 11 First Four-Day Match - Tukkies 1, University of Pretoria
Thur 14-Sun 17 Second Four-Day Match - Laudium, Pretoria
Wed 20 (Day) First One-Day Match - Dobsonville, Johannesburg
Fri 22 (Day) Second One-Day Match - Tukkies 1, University of Pretoria
Sun 24 (Day) Third One-Day Match - Lenasia, Johannesburg

http://www.cricket.co.za/default.asp?aId=261078&sportCategory=csa

Eshen
July 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
GP-BCB team to hold training camp

GP-BCB National Cricket Academy team will have a ten-day training camp in Bogra for next month's tour of South Africa.

The Academy team left Dhaka yesterday.

During three-week tour the GP-BCB National Cricket Academy team will play two four-day and three one-day matches.

The team is scheduled to leave for South Africa on August 4.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=46522

auntu
July 19, 2008, 01:40 PM
It's going to be Kalpage's 1st assignment. Let’s hope for the best. This time BD will face fast and bouncy pitch total different than when SA academy team played against them on slow and low turning track. Is there adequate pacer to equal the challenges by SA pacers?

Eshen
July 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
It's going to be Kalpage's 1st assignment.
No, Kalpage took over the academy since the GP Academy Cup in March-April.
Is there adequate pacer to equal the challenges by SA pacers?
Assuming A-team players won't join the academy for this tour, we still have three decent options in Robin, Talha, and Zia. The back up option Delwar is also not bad.

bdchamp20
July 30, 2008, 07:29 AM
The final squad for the academy tour of South Africa was announced today. I saw it in the Ntv news bulletin I can't recall all the names but these are the players I can remember: Shuvo(C), Delwar, Ziaur, Shamsur, Saghir, Marshall, Nasir and Sunny. No Dhiman or Zunaed which must mean they are being considered for national duty.

Miraz
July 30, 2008, 10:40 AM
The final squad for the academy tour of South Africa was announced today. I saw it in the Ntv news bulletin I can't recall all the names but these are the players I can remember: Shuvo(C), Delwar, Ziaur, Shamsur, Saghir, Marshall, Nasir and Sunny. No Dhiman or Zunaed which must mean they are being considered for national duty.

GP-BCBNationalCricketAcademy Tour of South Africa 2008: Squad & Itinerary

Squad

Md. Sohrawordi (Captain)
Sahagir Hossain (Vice Captain)
Farhad Hossain
Shamsur Rahman
Marshall Ayub
Nadif Chowdhury
Imrul Kayes
Jahurul Islam
Nasir Hossain
Raihan Uddin
Mahbubul Alam
Shafaq-Al-Zabir
Ziaur Rahman
Deloyar Hossain
Stand by:

Arafat Sunny
Mahbub-ul-Karim
Ashiqul Islam
Nabil Samad
Arafat Salauddin
Itinerary

<table style="border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="127"> Date
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 81pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="108"> Match
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 117pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="156"> Opposition
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 149.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="199"> Venue
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="127"> 08-11 August 2008
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 81pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="108"> 1st Four Day
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 117pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="156"> South AfricaAcademy
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 149.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="199"> Tukkies 1, Pretoria
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="127"> 14-17 August 2008
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 81pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="108"> 2nd Four Day
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 117pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="156"> South AfricaAcademy
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 149.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="199"> Laudiam, Pretoria
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="127"> 20 August 2008
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 81pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="108"> 1st One Day
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 149.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="199"> Dobsonville, Johannesburg
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="127"> 22 August 2008
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 81pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="108"> 2nd One Day
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 149.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="199"> Tukkies 1, Pretoria
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 95.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="127"> 24 August 2008
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 81pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="108"> 3rd One Day
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(236, 233, 216) windowtext windowtext rgb(236, 233, 216); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 149.4pt; background-color: transparent;" valign="top" width="199"> Lenasia, Johannesburg
</td></tr></tbody></table>

bdchamp20
July 30, 2008, 11:31 AM
Where did Shafaq-Al-Zabir come from? He wasn't in the main squad.

Murad
July 30, 2008, 05:23 PM
Academy team will play a 45 over match against the National team tomorrow.

Ashraful, K Mashud & M. Rafique to give tips to the Academy players in between the match or day after.

http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MTEwODMy&mid=OA==

Gowza
July 30, 2008, 05:29 PM
Academy team will play a 45 over match against the National team tomorrow.

Ashraful, K Mashud & M. Rafique to give tips to the Academy players in between the match or day after.

http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MTEwODMy&mid=OA==

will be interested to see the academy performance, there are a few decent prospects in the team, hoping they can pull out a good performance against the national team.

Murad
July 30, 2008, 05:38 PM
The former cricketer said that for an additional input they have decided to arrange a discussion session on August 2 where former and current national players like Mohammad Rafique, Khaled Mashud and Mohammad Ashraful would share the knowledge of their South African experiences with the academy cricketers.

Shakil also informed that the board in principle has decided to form a different selection committee for the Academy and age-group teams to ease the burden of the national selectors.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=48190

Good to see the Board finally taking the much needed move. They should've taken this decision a long long time back. Now I hope they select some good selectors who have previously played cricket for the National team.

abu2abu
July 31, 2008, 04:00 AM
Where did Shafaq-Al-Zabir come from? He wasn't in the main squad.

Yes, who the hell is shafaq al jabir? Anyone know anything about him?

Also a poor excuse from the selectors for not picking A team players. It'll be harder to get South african visas from England? Really?! I'm sure strings can be pulled. They should just be honest and say that the A team guys have had plenty of cricket and it's now time to give the younger fringe players a chance...

Sohel
July 31, 2008, 05:29 AM
Shafaq is the tallest "seamer" in our history. If Rajib and Shumon Saha are 6'4" and 6'3" respectively, Shafaq is easily 6'5".

I've never seen him work hard, bowl with aggression, or use his height in order to generate extra bounce and movement off the seam. He bowls slower than Talha, Farhad and Mohammad Sharif among MANY others, and has no clue about swinging the ball or using different angles of delivery to his advantage! To top it all off, he has control issues and the reputation of being lazy when it comes to all elements of the sport. BUT it is highly entertaining to watch him try and field.

He is generally considered "not good enough" to be featured regularly in the NCL.

He's just TAWL.

Luckily he's young, and has the opportunity to learn. I pray that he finally does this time. I have a feeling that our pathologically clueless CC and his subservient Biriyani Boys are just rewarding what in known as "putinshaliti" in their ram-khyat circles. Not having someone better but less glamorous like Abul Bashar is yet another example of his alleged mind. Not having Imtiaz and Shahin Hossains in the squad, and continuing to ignore Saju Datta also bug me quite a bit. But "surprise" is not a word that leaps to mind.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to Marshall Ayub get right back on the horse and Shubho contniue his development. Expecting good things from Imrul and better, more responsible batting from Pavel.

Anyway, I see a lot of Shakil Kasem in the overall positive conceptual change here, especially in terms of FUTURE selctions, and thank GOD for it ... :up: + :applause:

SK never suffered from delusion and thought of our cricket infrastructure as "enviable". He didn't get carried away during the course of our ODI WC'07 victories against India and South Africa enough to lose sight of the unacceptable losses we suffered to Ireland, West Indies and England in the same tournament.

Comparatively non-political, highly educated, genuinely cricket-saavy, and acutely aware of the cavalier matobbori slash mastani from parhar kiriketaj turned political sluts and chamchas -- he knows where the real problem is, and has taken the initial step within his limited powers to establish SEPARATE and hopefully busier Academy and "A" Teams until our domestic FC really starts to live up to its name, especially in terms of quality.

We are after all a test-playing nation with nowhere else to go but up ATM. Time to start something we should have from the very moment we were gifted that status before developing the solid infrastructure necessary to compete at the highest level.

Godspeed to SK and this "new thinking".

abu2abu
July 31, 2008, 06:16 AM
here, here. Great post sohel bhai...

AsifTheManRahman
July 31, 2008, 09:29 AM
I've never seen him work hard, bowl with aggression, or use his height in order to generate extra bounce and movement off the seam. He bowls slower than Talha, Farhad and Mohammad Sharif among MANY others, and has no clue about swinging the ball or using different angles of delivery to his advantage! To top it all of, he has control issues and the reputation of being lazy when it comes to all elements of the sport. It is highly entertaining to watch him try and field.
Coincides with the observations of the great Richie Mac.

BANFAN
July 31, 2008, 10:35 AM
I don't have much idea about the upcoming talents of BD. But the thread gives a very dark picture. The Darkness picturized beautifully by many. Very demoralizing indeed. We need a lots of local coaches.

Nannu/Pilot and probably a few others have opened Academies. I think their approaches aren't professional enough. They should have gone for coaching courses to learn the theoretical aspects as well. It's easy to pass on skills if one knows the theory. only skills aren't enough. While they themselves aren't technically perfect. What can you expect them to produce other than some passion. The school crickets and the premiers all lacks trained coaches. So how can we expect exceptional skills coming up? Only passion isn't good enough.

BCB should have even paid for a group of ex players for the ICC coaching cources. In Last 10 years we could have atleast 50-100 level 2/3 coaches to train the young boys all over the country. That could have helped to produce better players. We got one at the moment, serving others!!

Is my picture dark enough? Does it match the reality? Do we have any flashes to brighten the pic?

Tigers_eye
July 31, 2008, 10:43 AM
In one of the sessions of Top Spin(TV show), they brought in Pilot and Bulbul together few weeks back. Some good discussion with Pilot actually. There he talked about having coaches training prospects. Bulbul was one of them. Way to go Rajshahi.

HB needs to start doing something in Khulna.
Akram Khan in Chittagong.
Rafique in Dhaka.

At least we are having these type of establishment. This is a start. Sky is the limit with proper funding and serious involvement from coaches and ex-players.

MohammedC
July 31, 2008, 02:46 PM
In one of the sessions of Top Spin(TV show), they brought in Pilot and Bulbul together few weeks back. Some good discussion with Pilot actually. There he talked about having coaches training prospects. Bulbul was one of them. Way to go Rajshahi.

HB needs to start doing something in Khulna.
Akram Khan in Chittagong.
Rafique in Dhaka.

At least we are having these type of establishment. This is a start. Sky is the limit with proper funding and serious involvement from coaches and ex-players.

Who will look after Sylhet. Most of the Sylhetis whom played for Bangladesh in recent years are still young apart from Shantho and I doubt he stays in Sylhet.

bdchamp20
July 31, 2008, 02:55 PM
Who will look after Sylhet. Most of the Sylhetis whom played for Bangladesh in recent years are still young apart from Shantho and I doubt he stays in Sylhet.
Kapali and Saleh can co-coach Sylhet.

Tigers_eye
July 31, 2008, 03:02 PM
Kept the best for Sylhet. Rafiqul Alam himself. Fast track to National team. ;) What more Sylhetis want?

MohammedC
August 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
http://www.bangladesherkhela.info/adminpanel/pictures/1217765774.jpg

GP BCB Academy team

MohammedC
August 5, 2008, 07:08 PM
The Standard Bank National Cricket Academy candidates are seeking to avenge the losses they suffered against Bangladesh Cricket Academy when they clash in two Standard Bank Cup four-day matches and three One-Dayers. The Bangladeshis who arrived in the country last night, have brought the bulk of the squad that beat their South African counterparts in the first four-day match and drew the second one earlier this year.

The Standard Bank Academy:
Matthew Arnold (Northerns), Sammy-Joe Avontuur (South Western Districts), Bradley Barnes (Western Province), Richard Das Neves (Gauteng), CJ de Villiers (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Reeza Hendricks (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Rushdi Jappie (Nashua Titans), Richard Levi (Western Province), Mondli Mahlombe (Western Province), Wayne Parnell (Chevrolet Warriors), Mthokozisi Shezi (KwaZulu-Natal), Abdul Aziz Temoor (Western Province), Roelof van der Merwe (Nashua Titans), Shadley van Schalkwyk (Western Province), Stiaan van Zyl (Nashua Cape Cobras), Jonathan Vandiar (Highveld Lions), Dane Vilas (Gauteng), Basheer Walters (Northerns) and David Wiese (Nashua Titans) Coaches: Ray Jennings, Grant Morgan and Rafeek Ismail.

http://www.cricket.co.za/default.asp?aId=264301&sportCategory=csa

Eshen
August 25, 2008, 03:29 PM
Selectors need to stop showing favoritism to Nadif and drop him from the academy. Jahurul Islam is another player that I like to see to be dropped, both he and Nadif have long enough stints in the academy (since 2006) but still fail to show any improvement. Also, there is no point keeping older and unfit players like Mahbubul Karim and Arafat Salahuddin in the squad.

In their places, selectors should bring in Mithun Ali and Shuvashis Roy, those kinds of talents should be brought into the academy sooner than later. Mahmudul Hasan is another name that should be considered.

BTW, what happened to Talha ? Few months back, there was a news that his family is pressing him to quit cricket. Has he finally given up ?

Rohel
August 25, 2008, 10:07 PM
couldn't be agree more with Eshen. I hope our selectors can understand their mistake

SS
August 26, 2008, 08:59 AM
Selectors need to stop showing favoritism to Nadif and drop him from the academy.

In their places, selectors should bring in Mithun Ali and Shuvashis Roy, those kinds of talents should be brought into the academy sooner than later. Mahmudul Hasan is another name that should be considered.

BTW, what happened to Talha ? Few months back, there was a news that his family is pressing him to quit cricket. Has he finally given up ?

Agree with Eshen...atleast in one sport we need to be like professional cricket nations beyond our "normal" way of doing things. But Mahbubul (Robin) and Arafat, if they are good, should play despite of being aged. Instead of introducing U19 players we need also players with experience despite of age.

Also not sure what happened to Talha, Tapash. BCB should have been provided more training to rectify their problems. Is it because of limited resources/coaching/facilities that preventing our cricket authority not to take care of the rejected national discards? Our selection process of U19 emerging players need to be stopped and instead we should develop/find out how other similar countries like us follow the process of rectifying rejected players' mistakes. Imagine if our authority could have still help Talha, Tapash we could have had backups of out of form Mashrafee and injured Rasel. Instead they open with bowlers like Nazmul and Farhad in openning spell!!!

Another thing noted, how the cricket authority dealing with medical facility for rejected/injured national squad players. For example, Talha had back problem what was done after he was not with the A team. Tapash had injury with the team, he got good treatments and attention till he was with the team, after that no news. Rasel was injured, he was sent home for treatment, definitely BD doctors are doing their best, but are they really following up on his progress?

Tigers_eye
August 26, 2008, 09:04 AM
How about create another academy!! That should give enough spots for another set of players. Is one year enough for teaching the boys technic, tempartment, approach, food habits, training, etc? Is money an issue?

Gowza
August 26, 2008, 05:54 PM
well i'm not 100% sure how domestic cricket in BD works but from my understanding for the NCL teams the BCB decide each season which players play for which team. i think that makes it harder for everyone than it should. the teams don't want to fork out money for players who aren't playing for them so once a season is over the team will probably leave a player high and dry (because the player may or may not play for them next season) and the player never knows where he will be playing. i think the best system is to have a board and selectors for each NCL team and allow the teams and the players to decide who will play where. this would mean if players are dropped by one team they can start negotiations with another and be picked up. the BCB really only wants to be forking out money to the BCB contracted players, the rest of the players should be taken care of by the academy or their NCL team/premier league team. this also means players can stick with one team for years and imo that stability helps a player to develop and perform well.

as for older players like robin, those players are the ones who should be moving into the national team atm. with so much inexperience around BD cricket atm it's vital that the more mature, more experienced players who are the best in the country are taking up the national places. if players like robin take up a national team place and do a decent job it means a younger guy can spend more time maturing, getting experience and developing and that will just be better for BD because they'll be more ready when they come into the national team.

btw i'm curious, what are the levels of cricket a player has to go through to get to the NCL and/the premier league? does a player just jump into a 2nd XI team (or a first XI team) or do they have to go through a bunch of local/club teams before moving into the 1st XI and 2nd XI teams?

Eshen
August 27, 2008, 10:59 AM
Guys, Mahbubul Alam (Robin) and Mahbubul Karim (Mithu) are two different players. Mithu is the older one.

Gowza
August 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
how old is robin? cricinfo says he's 24 which is a few years older than a lot of the national teamers and reserves and he's been one of the best performers over the last year. i mean ideally you want to older academy players making way for the new ones rather than the younger ones making the room. i don't get why the national selectors go with someone like dollar who is young inexperienced and not ready over someone like robin who is older, more experienced, mature and more ready. robin may not be the answer to BD's bowling woes but he can do a good enough job to create a bit of time for the younger guys to properly come through.