PDA

View Full Version : Grade the chandus' performance

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2008, 03:04 PM
You guys grade the players I would do the selectors and coach. Deal??

Scale 1-10, 1 being the lowest.
1-2 Don't want to see your face.
3-4 below par. Unsatisfied.
5-6 Passed.
7-8 Good job.
9-10 Keep it up.

Fazal
June 12, 2008, 03:07 PM
... I will grade you guys.... Deal !

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2008, 03:08 PM
... I will grade you guys.... Deal !
jib'ta tainna chira falaitey iccha kortasey!! This is no democracy thread. I rule here.

Nasif
June 12, 2008, 09:51 PM
Few years ago while driving through Ohio, I took exit for a break. There I saw a car parked with Ohio license plate with the text: "Chandu". There was a deshi family near by that car; most likely Bangladeshi. This thread reminded me of that! lol.

BD-Shardul
June 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
I like grading :-D, so here is my grades

Tamim Iqbal Khan (4.5)
Shahriar Nafees Ahmed (1)
Mohammad Ashraful (7)
Roqibul Hasan (9)
Alok Kapali (4)
Mahmudullah (6)
Mashrafe Mortaza (7)
Abdur Razzaq (5)
Farhad Reza (1)
Dollar Mahmud (4.5)
Shahadat Hossain (3)
Mushfiqur Rahim (1)

Baundule
June 13, 2008, 06:55 AM
Ashraful's excellent batting performance in the 2nd ODI:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>0.6</TD><TD width="100%">Kumar to Mohammad Ashraful, no run, beaten on the forward prod. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>1.3</TD><TD width="100%">Singh to Mohammad Ashraful, 1 run, full, well outside off, searches out for the ball, goes for a big drive and edges it to Yusuf Pathan at third man </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>3.1</TD><TD width="100%">Singh to Mohammad Ashraful, FOUR, edged between the slips standing wide apart from each other. Short of length, angling outside off stump, Ash slashed at the width offered and got a thick healthy edge </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>3.4</TD><TD width="100%">Singh to Mohammad Ashraful, 1 run, closer to the off stump, Ash is a touch late in leaning forward to defend and edges it, along the ground, past a diving Rohit Sharma at second slip </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>8.3</TD><TD width="100%">Kumar to Mohammad Ashraful, no run, The all new ash goes back to an old edition. He moves towards off stump and tries to paddle sweep a length delivery just around leg stump line and misses it </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>10.1</TD><TD width="100%">IK Pathan to Mohammad Ashraful, FOUR, Edge taken and the ball flies between Dhoni and Sehwag, standing wide. This is the second time the ball has flown through the gap at the cordon. It was full and angling away and the batsman went for a big drive outside off </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>11.5</TD><TD width="100%">Singh to Mohammad Ashraful, no run, short of length, well outside off, Ash goes for the cut and misses </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>14.3</TD><TD width="100%">IK Pathan to Mohammad Ashraful, 1 run, pitched on middle and Ashraful pushes it to point with a horizontal bat </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>15.3</TD><TD width="100%">Kumar to Mohammad Ashraful, no run, pitched outside off ans seamed in to get the inside edge before hitting the pad. He was lucky it didn't hit the stumps </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=446 bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=right width=30>24.6</TD><TD width="100%">YK Pathan to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, soft dismissal. Bit more air, fuller and Ash drives straight back to the bowler who picks it inches off the turf. Yusuf's first ODI wicket. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In the process, he offered at least 2 maiden overs. Neither of his two 4s are shots, rather those were lucky edges. He played no shot at all. And it he gets a 7 out of 10 playing no shot in an ODI, travelling with luck to score a 53% strike rate 36, then I wonder, why most of the BC members are not playing in the national team. :confused:

Tigers_eye
June 13, 2008, 09:28 AM
Ashraf
In the process, he offered at least 2 maiden overs. Neither of his two 4s are shots, rather those were lucky edges. He played no shot at all. And it he gets a 7 out of 10 playing no shot in an ODI, travelling with luck to score a 53% strike rate 36, then I wonder, why most of the BC members are not playing in the national team. :confused:
We BC members (most of us) will have a better strike rate and would not play uradhura shots. It is just we don't have connection with Rafiqul Alam.

I disagree with "He played no shot at all" comment. he played, it is just he couldn't connect properly. Bat thik'i toroal'er moto chalaisey. May be he was not watching the ball properly. A trip to the eye doctor's place may do some good.

Tigers_eye
June 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
Few years ago while driving through Ohio, I took exit for a break. There I saw a car parked with Ohio license plate with the text: "Chandu". There was a deshi family near by that car; most likely Bangladeshi. This thread reminded me of that! lol.
Good to see after a long time. I can garantee you know more chandu's than just the above one you mentioned. Prottek batch'ei ekta korey chandu thakey. Porompora!!

Did you guys have any Ehsan's? Ehsan > Eh' chan > Chan > Chandu.

Omio
June 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
Protiki Onoshon e achi, so no grade.

Rabz
June 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
Except Raqibul and a bit of Ashraful, nothing much to write about.

I actually quite like this Ashraful. His natural way didnt work out for him and the team alike. So why not switch gear and see how he goes by trying to stay in the crease and work for his runs.

In the second ODI, he looked pretty good in the middle till he got out in a soft dismissal. And those few edges and lucks, well, its part of the game. Someday it favours you, other day it doesnt. I dont really see the big deal of highlighting them so boldly.

And Raqibul simply played a great knock. He paced his innings beutifully and just at the right time, he opened up and showed that he is capable of playing big shots too.
I didnt get why he did not take a runner at that time. He looked really tired when he played that rash shot to get. More importantly, he played exactly the way No.4 should bat. This innings would do a lot of good to his confidence and with a more dependable looking Ash at no.3, i think we are onto something here in the long haul.

Rahim's keeping was ok, ( including that stunning catch in the first game), but his batting left all of us wanting.

SN seriously needs to sort out his issues. Junaed could not possibly do any worse. So why not give him a chance in the Asia cup?

Mash was ok. But nothing to mention from the rest of the bowlers.

Baundule
June 13, 2008, 10:20 AM
Rabz bhai, what did Ashraful do in his innings? How many runs he did score playing good shots? I am very much keen to see that stat. He should emulate Golla in test matches, not in ODIs. After playing 120+ ODIs, one must not do 'practice' of test matches, while playing in an ODI series like this.

Those edges show that he did not have control over his innings, even though he was playing no scoring shot. He is pretty lucky to score that 36.

And it easily shows in which direction we are going, if we need to be 'satisfied' with 50% SR 30s!

thebest
June 13, 2008, 10:45 AM
All Chandus get F
JS and his team Got G-
Rafiq and co F-
BCB Z
TE
I would like to grade today's Holland - France game in this thread? Can I?

Nasif
June 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
Good to see after a long time. I can garantee you know more chandu's than just the above one you mentioned. Prottek batch'ei ekta korey chandu thakey. Porompora!!

Did you guys have any Ehsan's? Ehsan > Eh' chan > Chan > Chandu.

lol
Fortunately, we didn't have any Ehsans or Chandus (other than given nicks). Batches before and after us had plenty :)

AsifTheManRahman
June 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
I know an Ehsan. I'll call him Chandu from now on.

akabir77
June 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
sakib gets an A (even though he didn't play...but for seating for exam)

Rest is F

Rabz
June 13, 2008, 12:26 PM
Rabz bhai, what did Ashraful do in his innings? How many runs he did score playing good shots? I am very much keen to see that stat. He should emulate Golla in test matches, not in ODIs. After playing 120+ ODIs, one must not do 'practice' of test matches, while playing in an ODI series like this.

Those edges show that he did not have control over his innings, even though he was playing no scoring shot. He is pretty lucky to score that 36.

And it easily shows in which direction we are going, if we need to be 'satisfied' with 50% SR 30s!

Dear Baundule bhai, just wondering, did you watch the game live?

Cuz if you didnt, i think it would be quite wrong to judge a whole innings based on few balls.

I liked the way Ash tried to build up his innings and the partnership. When they came to bat, the team was like 15/2 or something close to that early in the game.
So, when they both started their partnership, they did definitely slowed down a bit and relied more in singles and doubles. A stereotypical bangladeshi innings would have been few flurry of boundaries and give in to the rush of blood.

Remember when Ash got out, Raqibul also have similar run and similar SR. But because he could carry on his innings and opened up when it was required, he made up for it .

Arent we all sick and tired of seeing little fiery cameos from Ash and Aftab?
Then its about time that they learn to play the way they should. If we have tolerated him for 120 innings, what bad could 5 more innings do?

I think he is in the process of re-inventing himself, which we all hope is for good.
And that does not happen overnight. Batsman with his undoubted abilities, i think its only a matter of time before he comes in terms with this changes and adapts to it.

If 56* and 36 are his first two innings of this new Ash, i think he is heading towards the right direction.

And you talking about SR?
When the runs starts to come, i think we could consider SR a worry of the past.

Pundit
June 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
Tiger's eye is just losing it here. Must be the Arkansas heat.

Dissapointed that names are being called out.

akabir77
June 13, 2008, 12:53 PM

Cuz if you didnt, i think it would be quite wrong to judge a whole innings based on few balls.

I liked the way Ash tried to build up his innings and the partnership. When they came to bat, the team was like 15/2 or something close to that early in the game.
So, when they both started their partnership, they did definitely slowed down a bit and relied more in singles and doubles. A stereotypical bangladeshi innings would have been few flurry of boundaries and give in to the rush of blood.

Remember when Ash got out, Raqibul also have similar run and similar SR. But because he could carry on his innings and opened up when it was required, he made up for it .

Then its about time that they learn to play the way they should. If we have tolerated him for 120 innings, what bad could 5 more innings do?

I think he is in the process of re-inventing himself, which we all hope is for good.
And that does not happen overnight. Batsman with his undoubted abilities, i think its only a matter of time before he comes in terms with this changes and adapts to it.

If 56* and 36 are his first two innings of this new Ash, i think he is heading towards the right direction.

100 tey 100...

I think most BD FANS want Ash to score but score like they way he did it against england 94 from 54... It looks good and that's why it happens once in a million year.

But the same people will jump to drop him if he score ten under 10 runs while trying to do it...

Its about time those fans face comes out of the shadow... so that we know who they are and why they don't like BD:waiting:

Fazal
June 13, 2008, 02:13 PM
Ok here is my rating so far....
TE is too tera.. I mean ghar tera... I will give him a 1.
Nasif is invisible now a day..... I will give him a 2 for so many absent days
BD_Shadrul like grading ... so do I .... I will give him a 8
Baundule...pola pan... boroyee disturb korey pothe ghate..... I will give him a 3
Omio.... Beyar Jonno prostut.... needs a perfect score fill up the resume..... I will give him a 10
Rabz...... I always misread as razb which reminds me nothing but gosob.... I give him a 4
thebest.... almost best except his imperfect car with driver who knows the lates price of rice..... I give him a 5
ATMR .....moderator... I thought about giving him a 1 but incase he misuse his power I bumped his score to 6
akabir77 ...... I give him a score of 7.7
Pundit ............means expert... so am I ...similar kind but different field.....so I give him a 9

Murad
June 13, 2008, 02:26 PM
100 tey 100...

I think most BD FANS want Ash to score but score like they way he did it against england 94 from 54... It looks good and that's why it happens once in a million year.

But the same people will jump to drop him if he score ten under 10 runs while trying to do it...
Its about time those fans face comes out of the shadow... so that we know who they are and why they don't like BD:waiting:

Well Said, Kabir bhai. :up:

Murad
June 13, 2008, 02:28 PM

Coudn't agree more.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Omio
June 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
Ok here is my rating so far....
TE is too tera.. I mean ghar tera... I will give him a 1.
Nasif is invisible now a day..... I will give him a 2 for so many absent days
BD_Shadrul like grading ... so do I .... I will give him a 8
Baundule...pola pan... boroyee disturb korey pothe ghate..... I will give him a 3
Omio.... Beyar Jonno prostut.... needs a perfect score fill up the resume..... I will give him a 10
Rabz...... I always misread as razb which reminds me nothing but gosob.... I give him a 4
thebest.... almost best except his imperfect car with driver who knows the lates price of rice..... I give him a 5
ATMR .....moderator... I thought about giving him a 1 but incase he misuse his power I bumped his score to 6
akabir77 ...... I give him a score of 7.7
Pundit ............means expert... so am I ...similar kind but different field.....so I give him a 9
woooooow, ami 100% mark peye pass..
sobar jonno misty...:)

Baundule
June 13, 2008, 05:16 PM

Rabz bhai,

I was in the office and did not see the whole innings. But I was following it (video) anyway. You are wrong on the statement that Raqibul had the similar strike rate. Till his 50, he scored about at 66%-67% consistently, after that 50, he speeded up a bit and scored at around 100%. Comparing his strike rate with that of Ash's is demeaning a good innings. It's not all about strike rate, Raqibul was playing with great composure. Ash? No where near about that!

I was not expecting boom boom and blind cricket from Ash. All I was expecting is just playing the game as it should be played. He did not / could not play any shot at all. With those edges he could be out at least three times. With all those luck, he scored ONLY 36. If you call it a good innings, we should not play at this level.

SR is of enormous importance in ODI; but it's not all about SR. It is all about the attitude that lacks any will to win. He is a very much able batsman. That pisses me more off! Look at the first innings. We needed about 23/24 runs more to avoid the bonus point and he even played the last over as a maiden, while Razzak was scoring freely at the other end. What can explain that?

With such negative attitude, BD cricket can not go anywhere. If this joke continues, it will die much more miserably than football. I can hear those ticks. It is getting too late!

Ajfar
June 13, 2008, 10:50 PM
nirala luked gud in the 2nd ODI that's abt it...anyone knw why they call him nirala??

BANFAN
June 14, 2008, 12:50 AM
Except Raqibul and a bit of Ashraful, nothing much to write about.

I actually quite like this Ashraful.

Initially I wasn't sure about his new approach. But I hope I have started liking as well. Expect him to continue to do the same in Asia Cup. All our cricketers need to learn to defend at will.

BD-Shardul
June 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
I agree with Rabz bhai about the transformation of Mohammad Ashraful. Nothing happens in this world overnight. Siddons has just started to teach his students, especially the middle order on how to build innings. And his students just started following it. Since it is just the beginning, they struggle to find gaps and boundaries. But I am hopeful that if they stick to the rule, they will comfortable playing this way in near future. Our Ash-Rokib-Tamim-Shakib will be like batsmen of elite teams-they will hold the wicket, rotate strike, find the gaps easily, and keep the scoreboard ticking.

I have watched both of the matches this time. Didn't miss any of the BD batting innings. I have to say that in the match against IND, Ash was really determined, and trying his best. Only if he had survived 7 more overs, we could have gone past 250.

And more importantly, Siddons is trying to solve the problem from the root. That means long term success. Not just some flashy performance like the Whatmore area. A few days ago I was a critique of JS. But I have now changed my stance, and I now feel that we should stick with him until the next WC 2011.

Lets hope for the best in Asia Cup.

Rifat
June 14, 2008, 09:41 AM
nirala luked gud in the 2nd ODI that's abt it...anyone knw why they call him nirala??

"Nirala Ball shaban" is a type of soap the Bangladeshi people use to wash their cloths... maybe Rakibul Hasan has a history with this product.

Rabz
June 15, 2008, 10:11 AM
Baundule bhai,

I think you are missing the point here.
I never said Ash played a 'good' innings. i said he looked pretty good in the middle till he got out in a soft dismissal. Those edges dont concern me, they could go either ways and it favoured him on that day.

I was concentrating more on his approach towards building a good solid partnership and working hard for his runs than his usual way of flashy batting. He looked determined and seemed to have a vision of "bigger picture" than the "next-5-overs."

He was showing a real attempt of staying in the middle and not play unnecessary shots. He got out on a momentary lapse of concentration. I dont think he ever played this hard for 36 runs, so it was taking some time to get used to for him.
His usual 36 would have been 4 fours and 2 sixes and few singles, barely breaking a sweat.

As i said, he looked in a process of re-inventing himself and it takes time. Give him 5 more innings, and i hope he comes good.

crikfreak
June 15, 2008, 11:39 AM
this new ash.. well.. there might be something in it for the future.. he's just getting started with this new aproach.. and i feel.. if he continues like this.. he will get used to it.. find the gaps more easily.. and eventually.. his strike rate will also improve.. he can't change over night..
last series.. he played in his usual style.. he managed ONLY 81 runs in 5 matches.. this time.. he played different.. ended up with 92 runs in 2 matches.. in the end.. i'd say he did better this time..
all this may not look pretty now but i think we'll benifit from it in the future..

and as for grading these chandus.. here is my rating:

tamim- 5
shahriar nafees- 2
ashraful - 5
rokibul - 9
mushfiqur rahim- 2
mahmudullah - 5
alok - 6
farhad - 1
mashrafe -7
shahadat -3
razzak - 5
dollar- 4

crikfreak
June 15, 2008, 11:40 AM

i agree 100%