PDA

View Full Version : Kudos ICC: Improving umpiring

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 01:32 PM
I definitely like the idea for challenging an umpiring decision by a batsman. Too often we have been victimised by poor decisions by incompetent umpires. Thank you ICC for giving this a go.

Ponting's pressurized mastery on umpires will be exposed. Also Hair will not be supreme on the field.

Batsmen can now appeal<!-- BITSHeadlineEnd -->
Published on: 6/17/08.
HOWZAT!
Not out, says the batsman, and remains at the crease. That will soon be the opportunity cricketers will have if they disagree with decisions made by umpires. Players will be allowed to appeal against an umpire's decision for the first time in a challenge system on trial for India's Test cricket tour of Sri Lanka starting next month.

The Board <UPPERCASE>O</UPPERCASE>f Control <UPPERCASE>F</UPPERCASE>or Cricket in India said yesterday it had agreed to play the series under the experimental rules allowing cricketers to ask for a TV umpire to review decisions made on the field by either of the two on-field umpires.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) "wants to try out the umpiring decisions review rule and we're ready to play our part", Indian cricket board secretary Niranjan Shah said.

Each team will be permitted to seek the review, using TV replays, of three decisions each innings.
Decisions can be overturned on the TV umpire ruling. A failed appeal will cost the team one challenge, whereas the count will remain if the appeal is successful.

The rule will apply to all modes of dismissals except 'Timed Out' which dictates the maximum time a batsman is allowed to reach the crease at the fall of a wicket.

Under existing conditions, an on-field umpire can refer a decision to the TV umpire if there is any doubt over line decisions or catches.
Read more:
http://www.nationnews.com/story/349922736942361.php

akabir77
June 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
Q1:is there a time limit before they can ask for a review or they have to do it right away?
Q2: Who asks the request the player him self or coach/captain of the batting team?
Q3: 3 request per game or per Innings?
Q4: if the request is right do they get to keep their request? or right or wrong u lose one request when u ask?

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 02:46 PM
Q1:is there a time limit before they can ask for a review or they have to do it right away?
Q2: Who asks the request the player him self or coach/captain of the batting team?
Q3: 3 request per game or per Innings?
Q4: if the request is right do they get to keep their request? or right or wrong u lose one request when u ask?
right away.
the player himself.
per innings batting side I think.
U ask it is gone. that type of deal I think. Will know more when the series starts.

Sovik
June 17, 2008, 03:02 PM
Should have implemented 10 years ago. Lara could have scored few more runs

and wouldn't have happened

83.3 Clark to Chanderpaul, OUT, got him! Clark's removed Chanderpaul, trapped in front to a quick, straight ball on middle-and-leg. Perhaps a touch high, but the decision's been made

Fazal
June 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
Kudos ICC: Improving umpiring

Why Kodu? Why not Katch Kola?

akabir77
June 17, 2008, 04:10 PM
right away.
the player himself.
Thats stupid cause sometime the player him self would not be sure. And then when it replay shows then they know whether it was right or wrong. Thats why i think only coach should have had the power.
Another point is Lets say TI got out and he knows he is out but still asks and bd loses one call, same with Aftab and SN. Then when Ash comes to crease and he was given out by ashoka then he can't request cause the fools before him already finished the quota...

Thats why i think its not gonna be effective as much...

per innings batting side I think.

Oh so if the ump gives notout to a plumb LBW like nadir shah the fielding team can't do anything? thats more stupid...

U ask it is gone. that type of deal I think. Will know more when the series starts.
k i can live with that

Tigers_eye
June 18, 2008, 09:39 AM
If TI, Aftab and SN finishes out the quota and loses all the challenges I think a repremind or match fixing issue would come in to play on those three. :) Tough luck for Ash. He needs to walk.

For caught behind the batsman 99% of the time should know if he had a faint nick or not. Same goes the lbw appeals with faint nicks which bucknor can't see with his glasses. The batsman should be able to challenge them rightaway. For lbws not hitting the stumps and low catches that may be grounded and is out of the batsman's eyes, the umpire can refer the calls upstair to the TV umpire. No challenge will be deducted then.

All these rules are subject to change. Nothing is concrete. This is just a start and an experiment. If things go well, perhaps they can modify to accomodate your concerns. Even in NFL and College Football new rules are tested first. Like the game clock moving and not moving.

Tigers_eye
June 18, 2008, 09:40 AM
Kudos ICC: Improving umpiring

Why Kodu? Why not Katch Kola?
katch kola is banned. If you don't like kodu then lau can be a good replacement.

sadi
June 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
As far as I know, if someone appeals and wins the appeal, they will get to keep their challenge just like American football. I am sure there will be specific direction from the team management on which calls batsmen can make out in the middle. They will probably appeal edges and bat pad calls. LBW appeal will probably come from the dressing room if it is allowed.

kp348
June 18, 2008, 01:28 PM

From TI's post its clear that the count will remain if the appeal is successful:

Each team will be permitted to seek the review, using TV replays, of three decisions each innings.

Decisions can be overturned on the TV umpire ruling. A failed appeal will cost the team one challenge, whereas the count will remain if the appeal is successful.

Kabir
June 18, 2008, 02:35 PM
katch kola is banned. If you don't like kodu then lau can be a good replacement.

Or for that matter "mula". Mula is a great stuff, helps all the time for environmental reasons.

For those who don't know, mula eating = mula paading.

Fazal
June 18, 2008, 03:23 PM
khaite to moja .... kintu Mula ar Dim .... beshi khailey boroyee problem....

dur gondo jukto batash ber hoi.

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 08:41 AM
That's a very sensible decision from ICC.

Tintin
June 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
Thats stupid cause sometime the player him self would not be sure. And then when it replay shows then they know whether it was right or wrong. Thats why i think only coach should have had the power.

Hmmm.... true. With the current rule, it is possible that the batsman is not sure and so he will hang around till he gets some signal from the dressing room before making an appeal.

riad
June 19, 2008, 08:57 AM
Love the idea ..... its really helpful for the little people like us.

Sohel
June 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
Love the idea ..... its really helpful for the little people like us.

Actually dear MMR, you're TALL by Bangladeshi and many other standards. Don't be so hard on yourself. Just be happy that you're likely to get more wickets this way.

BTW, best of luck in the Asia Cup, we're behind you 100%, beloved number 30 ... :big_hug:

crikfreak
June 20, 2008, 06:23 AM
Actually dear MMR, you're TALL by Bangladeshi and many other standards. Don't be so hard on yourself. Just be happy that you're likely to get more wickets this way.

BTW, best of luck in the Asia Cup, we're behind you 100%, beloved number 30 ... :big_hug:

huh?? i dont understand.. u're post sounds like you're talking to the ACTUAL mahmudullah riyad.. r u??:-/ i'm confused.. i mean.. i don't understand.. help me plz..

btw nice idea.. it might just help..