PDA

View Full Version : coach Siddons urges consistency in Asia Cup

abdulmukit
June 19, 2008, 11:01 PM
DHAKA (Reuters) - Bangladesh coach Jamie Siddons is hopeful his players can harness their individual skills to recapture their World Cup form in the Asia Cup starting in Pakistan next week.

Bangladesh have failed to win a match against a major side since they reached the Super Eight stage in West Indies last year, knocking former champions India out in the process.

"The players haven't done it yet," Siddons told a news conference in Dhaka on Thursday, referring to his team's inconsistency. "I am hoping that this tournament (Asia Cup) will be where we do that."

The Bangladeshis faced United Arab Emirates and Sri Lanka in the group stage on June 24 and 25 and their Australian coach, who took over from compatriot Dave Whatmore in November, fully expects them to progress into the second round.

"Against UAE ... it is a game that I think we will win. And then Sri Lanka is a team which we can beat if we play to the best of our ability," he said.

"Whether we will win after the first round I am not sure, but I am looking forward putting our best game together."

sunny747
June 19, 2008, 11:14 PM
bhai bored hoye gesi aishob thread dekhte dekhte........

djnaved
June 20, 2008, 01:38 AM
siddons asholei solonamoy, ekbar bolchilo don't think about wining....akhon boltache we can win............valo, eto din por linea asche:-D

abdulmukit
June 20, 2008, 02:17 AM
siddons asholei solonamoy, ekbar bolchilo don't think about wining....akhon boltache we can win............valo, eto din por linea asche:-D

:-D this man need to see a doctor.

Baundule
June 20, 2008, 02:49 AM
Sri Lanka is a team which we can beat if we play to the best of our ability," he said. He thinks Sri Lanka is way behind India and Pakistan.This guy makes my day! :-D

crikfreak
June 20, 2008, 04:32 AM
whats up with this guy anyways?? first he tells us that anyone who expects that bangladesh will win a match has no knowledge about cricket.. now he tells us we can beat sri lanka if we play to the best of our ability?? what the heck.. can't he stick with one thing?? tomorrow he'll tell us we cant beat UAE.. the next day he'll say we've got the potential to beat australia..

Sohel
June 20, 2008, 04:38 AM
[বাংলা]ঠ্যালার নাম বাবাজি।[/বাংলা]

thebest
June 20, 2008, 07:44 AM
HaHa now he thinks that we can beat SL- the most professional team in Asia. Even after resounding defeat by Pak, I still belive that we should target Pak not Sl; I think most of us here agree this. JS is a lousy coach and he is not still doing his homework. He came to Bd for easy money. I would rather prefer Bulbul take over than this ****; Though I belive Bulbul need another three years.

abu2abu
June 20, 2008, 07:54 AM
This is all PR from siddons. He's been given a rought ride by the media and supporters about being defeatists and in resposne he's trying to be positive. If we were playing Pakistan or India next, he'd probably say the same thing. It's his way of saying "sorry for being so negative. I accept that winning matches against major teams is as important to the fans as individual development"...

SS
June 20, 2008, 08:02 AM
Shunte chai mora bhalo kotha, chai team progress through the road
Realty je boro kothin amader ase onek bolod
last few times he was realistic deini kono news good
Emotional public er tae karap hoye jae mood
Coach sheta bujte pere change kore tar nod
Akon mora khelbo for winning the game,kintu kombe ki harar record

Rabz
June 20, 2008, 08:29 AM
Offcourse he is going to urge consistency from the boys.
IF we lose to UAE (God forbid), his own future with BCB would be under scrutiny.

The mistake he made is not being able to judge our natioanl characteristics.
Its not about if we win or lose, we Bangladeshis as a whole, love big and sweeat words.

Nobody really cares if we win or lose, after all, this is Bangladesh Sports we are talking here. We are used to losing in pretty much everything. Even the sports we used to/could win in the days gone by, we dont win anymore.

But what we need is our coach to come out and say big shinny words of wishful wisdom and wrong hope.

HOPE is what we live by, and by we, i particularly mean us, Bangladeshis.

So, when even the coach fails to talk big and talk like our politicians of a better tomorrow, despite the fact we all know the inevitable outcome, we find ourselves in a spot of bother.

We need someone who can talk, and i mean talk big. Results not important here.

C'mon JS, you've been in this country for good half a year, the sooner you learn the tricks, the easier it would be for you to fool us into the state of blissful oblivion that we love to live in.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 20, 2008, 08:43 AM
I have no expectation from Bd anymore. I will just watch for individual's improvments. The gererally accepted wisdom about SL's batting is that it now revolves around KS and others bat around him. Jawardena, Silva, and other are good batsmen, but they don't always perform in ODIs. JS's sudden optimism about Bd's chances of upsetting the lankans may stem from that fact. With injuries to some of their strike bowlers and the recent retirement of Sanath, SL lacks the overall knockout punch that the major teams have. Sanath's void will be felt in the powerplay batting because his replacement and others who are brought in to do a similar job, do not posses the power to demolish from ball one however, one must not forget that they still have enough batting depth to post a total beyond our chasing capability. KS is in the best batting form of his life and will be hard to dismiss by our average pacers and below par spinners. To win we'll need both bowling and batting miracles, but most importantly the batting miracles. Our batting is very prone to collapses and crumbling down against any attacks thus, improving that batting signature against a balanced bowling side of SL will be hard to accomplish. Whether we hit out or bat in higher percentage JS recommended mode, it makes no difference to the total we are able to post. Keeping these things in mind, I'm less concerned about the results and just hoping for more consistent performances from Ash and others who have the potential to make a difference.

akabir77
June 20, 2008, 09:49 AM
ekat positive kotha koilo r FAN and reporters tarey nia ekhon nachtasey as if BD was waiting for him to say we will win and BD would win!!! It doesn't matter what he says we have to do it in the field. Else the same FANs and Repoters that were complaining about his neg/low points would say You Told Us We Would Win Why Couldn't We WIn etc etc...

Shatti celiucus ki bichitro ai desh...

cricket_dorshok
June 20, 2008, 10:57 AM
IF we lose to UAE (God forbid), his own future with BCB would be under scrutiny.

Its not about if we win or lose, we Bangladeshis as a whole, love big and sweeat words.

Nobody really cares if we win or lose, after all, this is Bangladesh Sports we are talking here. We are used to losing in pretty much everything. Even the sports we used to/could win in the days gone by, we dont win anymore.

But what we need is our coach to come out and say big shinny words of wishful wisdom and wrong hope.

So, when even the coach fails to talk big and talk like our politicians of a better tomorrow, despite the fact we all know the inevitable outcome, we find ourselves in a spot of bother.

C'mon JS, you've been in this country for good half a year, the sooner you learn the tricks, the easier it would be for you to fool us into the state of blissful oblivion that we love to live in.
well said bro.

Blah
June 20, 2008, 11:09 AM
First of all post your sources before you do a copy paste job.
http://in.reuters.com/article/cricketNews/idINIndia-34135920080619

The article is from Reuters, India. You go it Right!!!

I think whoever wrote that pull that up from his ***, I have wrote reuters india email to verify there sources, and confirm that the qoute was correct.

Do some research.

From the Daily Star: http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=41926

He echoed the views of coach Jamie Siddons, who also looked forward to the second round that will house the two top teams from the each group.

"I hope that we can make the second round with the win over UAE. Sri Lanka would be as good as any other team in the world and if we can play to the best of our ability, we can hope for a good result," said the Australian coach about Tigers' first round opponents.

"I just expect them to play really good cricket in the second round. I have seen some great signs in the batsmen on individual basis. But as far as putting all of that together, the players haven't done it yet. The bowlers must deliver better performances because that is one problem.

"Whether we will win after the first round I am not sure, But I am looking forward to putting our best game together as far as batting is concerned and a much better show in bowling," said Siddons.

He said we can "hope for a good result". Knowing Siddons, his interpretation of "good result" is 220+.

From Cricinfo: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/asiacup/content/story/355410.html

Siddons said he expected his team to play really well in the second round. "I have seen some great signs in the batsmen on individual basis. But as far as putting all of that together, the players haven't done it yet. The bowlers must deliver better performances because that is one problem.
"Whether we will win after the first round I am not sure, But I am looking forward to putting our best game together as far as batting is concerned and a much better show in bowling." Bangladesh are in group A along with UAE and Sri Lanka. They are scheduled to arrive in Pakistan on Saturday.

If you are going to be judgemental about someone, atleast do your own research. Just don't agree blindly on everything someone "pulls up from their ***".

When I first read the above, I said, "Bull sh*t". JS would never say that.

I will give you update, when I get e-mail back from reuters (if at all).

simon
June 20, 2008, 11:19 AM
I dont see anything wrong with what he said.
Some or many of you guys misunderstood.You are saying that JS thinks Bd can win agnst Sri but he said "if we play to the best of our ability" then we can win which sounds possible to me.
He couldn't say that we have absolutely no chance to win even if our boys do their best.
Listen guys,dont get frustrated.The fact that he is a coach of a weak team & seeing Bd loosing makes us angry on him but its also the player's fault.
Look at the Pak or Ind coach,they have no **** to do with their teams bcse the Ind & Pak players are good engh to make themselves winners.
Our players are learning technics but unable to apply them.

makorsha
June 20, 2008, 02:01 PM
[বাংলা]ঠ্যালার নাম বাবাজি।[/বাংলা]

no Babar Naam Thelaji
I liked what he said in ITTe****k
He wants to see consistancy rather Eid once in a while..
Dont ask me how he knew about the Eid Schedule is a mystry..

nycpro96
June 20, 2008, 02:27 PM
HaHa now he thinks that we can beat SL- the most professional team in Asia. Even after resounding defeat by Pak,

India is much better than SL im not a fan of india, sl, or pak but india is in the best possible form at the moment

bujhee kom
June 20, 2008, 02:40 PM

totally agree with you sydney bhai! everything you said is absultely true and i felt the same way about us and our feelings!

bujhee kom
June 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
India is much better than SL im not a fan of india, sl, or pak but india is in the best possible form at the moment

i agree with you on that nycpro96!

bujhee kom
June 20, 2008, 02:43 PM
I dont see anything wrong with what he said.
Some or many of you guys misunderstood.You are saying that JS thinks Bd can win agnst Sri but he said "if we play to the best of our ability" then we can win which sounds possible to me.
He couldn't say that we have absolutely no chance to win even if our boys do their best.
Listen guys,dont get frustrated.The fact that he is a coach of a weak team & seeing Bd loosing makes us angry on him but its also the player's fault.
Look at the Pak or Ind coach,they have no **** to do with their teams bcse the Ind & Pak players are good engh to make themselves winners.
Our players are learning technics but unable to apply them.

simon bhai, you said what's been on my mind!

al Furqaan
June 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
SL is a target simply due to their not playing international cricket for a while.

PAK is a target due to their manic cricketing nature

IND is a target due to their complacency factor.

Pundit
June 20, 2008, 10:29 PM
I wonder where Reyme is in all this discussion?

djnaved
June 20, 2008, 11:19 PM

bro, u read my mind:)

actually siddons is a high profile coach who teaches batsman to try to play new shots. He is not that typical coach who has teach basic cricket to our players. All the high profile aussie coaches are like... i feel bad for siddons that he has to teach basic cricket techniques to our boys

ehteshamul
June 21, 2008, 05:25 AM
WAY TO GO SIDDONS!

Like millions of worried BD cricket fans all over the world Siddons statement in a news conference in Dhaka : “Against UAE ... it is a game that I think we will win. And then Sri Lanka is a team which we can beat if we play to the best of our ability," comes as a sigh of great relief to all of us.

We are indeed very happy with this U turn and change of heart from Siddons and it is heartening for all of us as he has chosen the right time ie before an important tournament .

Now the Guru is showing signs of the attributes of a Head coach which augurs well for BD cricket Team.

Keep going Siddo.

If he speaks Positive of our boys it rubs positive energy into BD cricket fans and the entire nation as well . When there is hope there is always a way.

We will back you Siddo so long you talk positive.

BTW- One important issue that of opening pair needs to be solved ASAP. It has also been an issue of Pakistan for the last decade and despite trying half a dozen coaches none of them were able to solve so much so that one of the opening partners of Pakistan team and wicket keeper as well - Kamran Akmal ( why he had the luxury of extended opportunity is anybody’s guess) has been finally axed from their team for the Asia Cup.

My good wishes to Siddons, BCB, Ash and Co.

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

BANFAN
June 21, 2008, 06:18 AM
It was supposed to be clear to any future BD coach that he is going to work on a lots of basics of our players. Every player (Even all the great players) have trouble with basics during their career, like foot movement, Back lift etc, when they go a little off form and the coaches are their to correct it. It can happen with BD batsmen as well and coaches can't start complaining with it.

I didn't see ausies coming up with a lots of new shots in cricket. Last time I saw our Ash introduced the scoope shot in world cup and very effectively and many are playing that shot now.

Eishob lame excuse gulo shunle na, ga jala kore. Futani korar ar jayega paye na. He was never the highperformance coach of Ausie. Show result man and keep your uncontrolled gap shut until that time.

akabir77
June 21, 2008, 10:17 AM
Again i feel for those posters who are wanting sweet words from the coach rather than having the win or fixed players...

As if when he will say we will win BD will win automatically.

If you guys think BD batsmen plays proper cricket and have their basic right and as good as aussie players then i would say have some pepsi max and WAKE UP...

BANFAN
June 21, 2008, 12:35 PM
I don't think anyone except JS expected that, BD batsmen are as good as Ausie batsmen are, in the application of basics. That's why he has complains. Or else that is not a point worth mentioning by the coach. It is a task of BD national team coach by default.

zainab
June 21, 2008, 03:47 PM
I read on the SL website that Jayasuria is in the squad for the asia cup after his great performance in the IPL. Let's hope that he is out of form. In the ODIs agaist SL last year,BD did not do too badly, they could have won at least one match, if their fielding was not so poor, and of course when the middle order batting collapses, then the other team pounces on them.
I hope Ash knows that it is a must win game against UAE. If they can beat Ireland, I dont see any reason why they cant beat the UAE.
Siddons mentioned something that made sense, i.e. that if the best batsmen are only averaging in the 20s, then it is reasonable to expect them to score 200 runs, but they have to score better than this to have a good chance. He as still pleased to see that they scored 220 runs against India's bowling attack.

bujhee kom
June 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
question: is our match aginst UAE an official ODI?
UAE is an associate ICC member, i think!

abdulmukit
June 21, 2008, 11:09 PM
question: is our match aginst UAE an official ODI?
UAE is an associate ICC member, i think!

asia cup is a tournament not warm-ups each n every single game teams play has ODI status be it accosiate or worlds top team

bujee khom?....hmmmm....now i figured out that you didnt made mistake by choosing this nick :-D