PDA

View Full Version : Time for ICC to ban Zimbabwe

brockley
June 22, 2008, 09:53 PM
After mugabies genocide and with the opposition calling off the democratic elections due to intimidation,murder,rape etc etc.
Time for all cricketing nations to act.

brockley
June 22, 2008, 09:55 PM
Oops i mean zimbabwe,can anyone change the title please.

Eshen
June 22, 2008, 10:59 PM
I agree. It would have happened for sure if Ray Mali was not the president of ICC.

Zunaid
June 22, 2008, 11:02 PM
In this case, cricket is irrelevant. Conscious should drive global action.

brockley
June 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
Makes Ray mali's sacking of malcom speed a few months ago a move that was obtuse,speed wanted zimbabwe out of the game.

BANFAN
June 23, 2008, 12:41 AM
What's the use of making the players suffer more, it hardly makes any difference to Mugabe. Mugabe is happy with people not eating, does it matter if they don't play?

Innocent people are suffering in both ways.

Surfer
June 23, 2008, 03:01 AM
I will miss Taibu if Zimbabwe is banned. I hope he makes a good career with IPL. But yes, I think the world must give a strong reaction to the developments.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 23, 2008, 07:18 AM
ICC really need to ban Zimbawae from all cricket indefinitely until normalcy returns in their board.

Baundule
June 23, 2008, 12:19 PM
Seems, Mugabe cares about Zimbabwe cricket. :-D
BTW, with the same logic (?), ICC should also ban Bangladesh, which is headed by a non-elected government.

brockley
June 24, 2008, 12:23 AM
Yes but their is anarchy in zimbabwe.
Its 1 thing to have a non elected government its another thing to steal an election and rape,murder,etc etc etc.

Alien
June 24, 2008, 11:02 AM
In this case, cricket is irrelevant. Conscious should drive global action.

Yeah but Zimbabwe doesn't have oil. Only a leader who looks like an ape and keeps ranting about western imperialism. First you have to get rid of him then comes the burden of fixing the country's economy which is hyper inflated. And US and UK doesn't want to get their hands dirty on that.

So all they can do is "condemn" and pass dumb resolution that gets thrown in the bin, and all that has proven to be fruitless since the guy is deaf to western criticism in both ears.

Fazal
June 24, 2008, 03:00 PM
Well ICC baning zimbabwe is fine with me as long as UN start running and regulating all cricket related matters.

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2008, 03:04 PM
Just when Zim were turning the corner beating WI, they will face another crisis. Lack match practice. African nations are not going anywhere. In the same time Scotts, holland, Irish all are improving.

Miraz
June 24, 2008, 03:18 PM
Can ICC ban USA for the Iraq war?

Fazal
June 24, 2008, 03:24 PM
Can ICC ban USA for the Iraq war?

No. Because still now ... there is US and then there is "rest of the world"

Puck
June 24, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah but Zimbabwe doesn't have oil. Only a leader who looks like an ape and keeps ranting about western imperialism. First you have to get rid of him then comes the burden of fixing the country's economy which is hyper inflated. And US and UK doesn't want to get their hands dirty on that.

So all they can do is "condemn" and pass dumb resolution that gets thrown in the bin, and all that has proven to be fruitless since the guy is deaf to western criticism in both ears.

actually, zimbabwe has plentiful supply of uranium ore and diamond mines. the cynic might argue that it would be in chinese interest to keep mr. mugabe in power. china needs all the sources of uranium it could possibly get it's hands on for its growing energy demand. to chinese eyes, a strong government, a dictatorship for that matter that opposes the west is perfectly acceptable.

as for cricket matters, the reason for banning zimbabwe from internation cricket would be to reinforce the point that its best cricketers had been subjugated against. the cricket board is run by the ruling party cronies and only the players who are prepared to stand by and witness the present state of being without being cricital, are selected to represent their country.

Eshen
June 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
ICC to discuss Zimbabwe future

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/355963.html

The ICC will discuss the future of Zimbabwe cricket at their executive meeting in Dubai next week, according to David Morgan, the president-elect, speaking during the launch of the ICC World Twenty20 at Lord's.

Yesterday, Cricket South Africa cut its ties with Zimbabwe Cricket following further deterioration of the political situation. "The ICC has never concerned itself with how member countries are governed," Morgan said. "However, yesterday Cricket South Africa announced that they were scrapping bilateral contact with Zimbabwe Cricket. It has been decided to put Zimbabwe on the agenda of the executive board meeting of the ICC which takes place next Wednesday in Dubai.

"Cricket South Africa's decision yesterday is hugely significant," Morgan added. "Clearly they will want something done. They're very influential in terms of southern African cricket and Zimbabwe is part of that. Quite where the various members will stand on it I really don't know - all of this is new as of five o'clock yesterday."

Crucially, Ray Mali, the ICC president, said that the issue to be discussed was "Zimbabwe's membership", hinting that there was a possibility that they could be expelled as a Full Member. He told the BBC that he had endorsed Cricket South Africa's decision, adding: "I have written to Zimbabwe saying their future in international cricket will be put on the agenda and this issue will be discussed at our meeting next week."

"He [Mali] believes there is a danger that supporters of one political party will not be allowed to play or support cricket," Morgan added.

The ICC has previously shown little inclination to make any strong statements on Zimbabwe, but recent events are likely to force their hand especially as South Africa have been long-time supporters of Zimbabwe. An ICC insider told Cricinfo: "As every day passes, Zimbabwe's status looks less and less tenable."

Zimbabwe have been placed in group A of the ICC World Twenty20 but their participation in the event is in increasing doubt. If they have to be replaced a third Associate nation will be added to the tournament.

Britain's prime minister Gordon Brown has been vocal in his condemnation of the violence in Zimbabwe, and stated yesterday that Robert Mugabe's regime 'should not be recognised by anyone'. "Under the current circumstances it is the government's view that the tour would clearly be unwelcome," a spokesman for the prime minister told the Press Association. "We would also have serious concerns about Zimbabwe participating in the Twenty20 World Cup.''

brockley
June 25, 2008, 01:17 AM
The british govbernment is talking about a sports ban now.
On zimbabwe they won't get much practice now south africa told them to go jump.
Whats bangladesh's stance on zimbabwe?The government i mean.
Yeh little likely hood of them playing the 20/20 world cup now or one dayers,icc have to act surely.
I tell you their will be a lot of people leaving zimbabwe shortly its only going to get worse.

Eshen
June 25, 2008, 10:30 PM
Twenty20: India block isolation of Zimbabwe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/26/scindi126.xml

The Indian board were steadfast last night in their refusal to back moves to isolate Zimbabwe from the world game, leaving the England and Wales Cricket Board fighting a delicate political game ahead of next week's meeting of the International Cricket Council.

With backing from the Government, the ECB yesterday severed all ties with Zimbabwe and cancelled their tour here next year. A letter from Andy Burnham, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, instructed the ECB that Zimbabwe would not be allowed to fulfil a one-day series in England next summer.
advertisement

The letter stopped short of preventing Zimbabwe from participating in the Twenty20 World Championship, which is due to take place in England next June.

But during Prime Minister's questions, Gordon Brown called on other cricketing nations to follow the ECB's lead. "We want to ensure that Zimbabwe do not tour England next year. We will call for other countries to join us in banning Zimbabwe from the Twenty20 tournament," he said.

A motion has been tabled to discuss the Zimbabwe situation at next week's ICC meeting in Dubai but it is still unclear if the member countries will be asked to vote on removing their international status.

They are more likely to strip Zimbabwe of one-day status, which would solve the problem of their appearance at the World Twenty20 Championship. Under such an agreement, Zimbabwe would retain voting rights and funding from the ICC.

The Indian board have supported Zimbabwe in the past and voted together on ICC matters. The Asian bloc countries - Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - will follow India's lead in Dubai. "India's position in all this is crucial," said David Morgan, the ICC's president-elect.

Last night a senior source within the Indian board told The Daily Telegraph they were still behind Zimbabwe and would not support any motion to throw them out of the ICC.

Giles Clarke, the chairman of the ECB, yesterday met with his Indian counterpart, Sharad Pawar, who was at Lord's to attend a dinner to commemorate India's 1983 World Cup final victory. Pawar described their discussions on Zimbabwe as "detailed on every aspect", and Clarke is hopeful his relationship with Pawar will sway opinion.

Any motion to suspend Zimbabwe needs support from seven of the 10 member countries. The Indian board would risk international vilification if they failed to make a stand and South Africa, traditionally Zimbabwe's staunchest ally, have already cut bilateral ties.

But India are in a strong bargaining position with the ECB. The use by county sides of players with ties to the rebel Indian Cricket League has irked the Indian board.

Morgan yesterday said the ICC recently ruled that a member country could not be banished over the politics of its government. He said that on Sky and the broadcaster cut to Archbishop Desmond Tutu on a recent visit to London, where he told an audience at Lord's: "It is a myth that sports and politics do not mix."

Morgan shifted uncomfortably under the glare of the cameras. But there appear to be even hotter times ahead in Dubai and the heat will not just be down to the Arabian summer.

brockley
June 26, 2008, 01:03 AM
This is really sad for zimbabwe just self interest by india,when that country is falling apart.
Surprised england didn't stop zimbabwe's poarticipation in the 20/20 world cup,but i guess they are the hosts and don't want to lose the world cup.

bharat
June 26, 2008, 08:50 PM
This is really sad for zimbabwe just self interest by india,when that country is falling apart.
Surprised england didn't stop zimbabwe's poarticipation in the 20/20 world cup,but i guess they are the hosts and don't want to lose the world cup.

And what is India's self interest may I know? BCCI does not need Zim's support.

Politics and Sports should be kept seperate.If not having non-having a democraticly elected govt. is a criteria then both Pak (until recently) and BD should be banned.Doesnt make sense to me ? Its a country's intrenal matter period.

Banning Zim, would kill the cricket there, I hope India and BD take the correct decision.

Racism? Hell ! who is talking of racism, ! Let me not get there.Its hyporcasy at its best.

Leave politics out of Sports.Would you stop Afghanistan from becoming a member (in the future) just because of the Taliban?

I stand behind BCCI if it does support Zim, and I hope they do.

tonoy
June 27, 2008, 12:35 AM

Politics and Sports should be kept seperate.If not having non-having a democraticly elected govt. is a criteria then both Pak (until recently) and BD should be banned.Doesnt make sense to me ? Its a country's intrenal matter period.

Banning Zim, would kill the cricket there, I hope India and BD take the correct decision.

Racism? Hell ! who is talking of racism, ! Let me not get there.Its hyporcasy at its best.

Leave politics out of Sports.Would you stop Afghanistan from becoming a member (in the future) just because of the Taliban?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anher
June 27, 2008, 12:49 AM

Well said mate!
Western Media now trying to bann everything zimbabwean in every possible/impossible way.

Eshen
June 27, 2008, 01:20 AM
From http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/357997.html
There are good reasons to keep sport and politics apart. Indeed, sport must triumph over politics. And where should the line be drawn? If an example were to be made of Zimbabwe, which has been driven to destitution and lawlessness by a dictatorial regime that refuses to honour electoral verdicts, what of China's role in suppressing democracy, or indeed that of the US and the allies in Iraq?

The point, however, is this: sport and politics have hardly stayed apart in Zimbabwe. On the contrary, politics has invaded every aspect of cricket in Zimbabwe and has driven a significant number of talented players away from the game - and, indeed, away from the country.

Racism is not a word to be used lightly but it is hardly a secret that there are almost no whites or Asians left in the game in Zimbabwe. Not that black cricketers who confronted the system have been spared. The courageous Henry Olonga now lives in exile, and the spirited Tatenda Taibu was once forced to flee the country.

But if the ICC still chooses to ignore the political situation in Zimbabwe - it ought not to - there are strong sporting reasons for it to act. On the basis of their current strength, Zimbabwe are simply not worthy of being a Full Member of the ICC. They haven't played a Test since September 2005, and their one-day team merely makes up the numbers at ICC tournaments. They even play less than the leading Associates now. Bilateral series have become rare - and not because Zimbabwe is an unsafe place to tour. The Indian board cancelled a tour for the apparent reason that playing Zimbabwe makes little commercial sense.

The reason their Test status was suspended now holds true for the shorter versions too: Zimbabwe aren't good enough to be part of the top tier. Why then must they enjoy the privileges - a seat on the executive committee, automatic entry to the World Cup, and a big share of the ICC's revenues - granted to Full Members?

Last year, which featured the World Cup, Zimbabwe's earnings from the ICC were US$11 million. It would be money well distributed if there was evidence it was wisely spent. In fact, the signs point to the opposite. An international audit firm found serious irregularities in ZC accounts, a fact acknowledged by the ICC, which has nevertheless refused to table the report so far. In comparison, the $500,000 grant to Kenya, an Associate member, is a trifle. Cricket Kenya has a right to feel short-changed.

Alien
June 27, 2008, 01:27 AM

During the South Africa's apartheid, South Africa was banned from cricket for many years. Now with racism against white, you can't preach different attitude. Has to be consistent.

Cricket has always been dying since Mugabe stepped up his atrocities and kicked out the white players. AHow dead can it get?

bharat
June 27, 2008, 04:47 PM
During the South Africa's apartheid, South Africa was banned from cricket for many years. Now with racism against white, you can't preach different attitude. Has to be consistent.

Cricket has always been dying since Mugabe stepped up his atrocities and kicked out the white players. AHow dead can it get?

Ironic that you should bring SA into this discussion.England the country that is pushing for the ban against Zim was one of the countries that opposed a ban on S.A.Infact the English govt. did not sever their economic relations (with SA) even until the late '80s.Color of the skin is sure pushing it to ban Zim now.

I feel what happens withing a country is its own internal matter.Perceptions would depend on the beholder, eg: US liberation of Iraq.

When the so called rogue nations Iran and N.Korea can compete in the Olympics why not Zim?

For me it is hypocrisy at its best ! Wonder why only the Eng, Aussies and the NZ are pushing it to the tee while other countries (including SA until recently) were more or less indifferent?

Leaders come and go, policies change ( US followed segregation until the mid '60's, none called for its ban ) but sports should be above it !

brockley
June 28, 2008, 12:02 AM
India just after zimbabwe's vote.
They wouldn't even tour their this year.
This is about power an bcci has this.

Anher
June 28, 2008, 02:59 AM
BCCI to 'fully support' Zimbabwe
Ajay S Shankar
June 28, 2008
In its first official reaction to the Zimbabwe issue, which tops the agenda for the ICC's annual meeting in Dubai next week, the Indian board has said it "would like to fully support" Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) on the issue of full membership of the world governing body. Niranjan Shah, the BCCI secretary, added, however, that the board will go by the Indian government's guidelines when it comes to specific cricket tours and interactions with Zimbabwe.
"We are very clear that we would like to fully support Zimbabwe on the issue of full membership of the ICC," Shah told Cricinfo. "We are aware that some member boards want Zimbabwe's membership taken away, but we are with Zimbabwe on this. However, we also understand the positions taken by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Cricket South Africa (CSA) as they were prompted by the advice of the governments in those countries. We do not blame them as they are bound by what their governments decide. But our position is very clear on the issue of full membership and we would like to totally support Zimbabwe on that."
Shah, who will also be attending the Dubai conference, confirmed that the Indian board has not got any guidelines from its government so far on the Zimbabwe issue. "We will go by our government's guidelines, which will be applicable to specific tours and interactions with Zimbabwe, but nothing has come so far," he said.
With the BCCI officially clarifying its stand on the issue, it becomes extremely difficult for the ICC board to decide any stringent action against Zimbabwe next week. A two-thirds majority vote within the ICC board - seven out of 10 votes - is needed for any resolution to be moved on Zimbabwe. That includes suspending them from full membership, which would see them lose access to a significant chunk of ICC funding and valuable voting rights.
The ECB and CSA have suspended all ties with Zimbabwe cricket, and are pushing to shut the door on Zimbabwe but the BCCI is now expected to lean on its traditional vote bank of Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh to prevent any such move. Duleep Mendis, the chief executive of Sri Lanka Cricket, told Cricinfo that they are "yet to take a final decision as all this happened over the last 2-3 days".
Ajay Shankar is deputy editor of Cricinfo in Bangalore
© Cricinfo

Its good news for zimbo cricket..
Right Decision BCCI.

Sohel
June 28, 2008, 03:06 AM
I have friends and associates in Zimbabwe, including people I went to school with, who have been tortured and imprisoned by ZANUPF for protesting violations of Zimbabwean laws. They support the isolation as do most of the people in Zimbabwe who have suffered through far worse than my privileged friends.

brockley
June 28, 2008, 09:40 PM
Seems pakistan has backed zimbabwe too and will send an A team their in august.
The bangladesh board tho is quiet on their vote,sad they may vote for zimbabwe in silence.

CHABAN
June 28, 2008, 11:48 PM
Asian bloc countries should oppose Zimbabwe but only if British and Australian troops leave Iraq and Afganistan!!!

Rabz
June 29, 2008, 12:13 PM
I think it is upon the full members, the elite cricket fraternity, to make sure that cricket prevails in Zimbabwe.Despite the awful political situations, cricket or any other sports for that matter, should not stand to be the victim.

But the situation itself is not helping the cause. Some sort of provision should be drawn in the table in order for all parties concerned to allow zimbabweans play cricket.

Big countries like India needs to back their loud vocal support with tours. Countries like pak, sl or Bangladesh are more likely to follow indian suit and for that matter, i hope the Asian bloc ensure these tour schedules are maintained.

IF Zim are temporarily banned, i would like to see their A team, which could easily be their main team in disguise, to tour in this part of the world.

brockley
June 29, 2008, 10:11 PM
Windies,india,pakistan,srilanka and banglaesh said they will back zimbabwe.
It will fail.
The icc will cop such a bagging in the media for this.
India in particular will look like a rogue country for pushing their stance,and lobbying these countries.

bharat
June 30, 2008, 08:19 AM
Windies,india,pakistan,srilanka and banglaesh said they will back zimbabwe.
It will fail.
The icc will cop such a bagging in the media for this.
India in particular will look like a rogue country for pushing their stance,and lobbying these countries.

Yes, India is the rougue country for defying the mighty imperial English will !!

brockley
June 30, 2008, 10:43 PM
Bangladesh board said they will back zimbabwe,they seem safe,but will anyone tour them,its been a while since bangladesh played them.

israr
July 1, 2008, 05:43 AM
Bangladesh should back India in this case. I see no way in how banning Zimbabwe will bring in about peace in the country. Its a lose-lose situation either way. Cricket shouldn't be affected.

brockley
July 1, 2008, 09:21 PM
ECB and cricket australia looking for a compromise zimbabwe with draw from one dayers and 20/20 but keep their funding and get A tours.

bharat
July 1, 2008, 09:57 PM
ECB and cricket australia looking for a compromise zimbabwe with draw from one dayers and 20/20 but keep their funding and get A tours.

Looks like the 'rouge' nations are for a compromise.But I would say it is a victory for one of them, England which does not want to host Zim in the 20-20 world cup hence the timing.I would say it is a victory for this 'rogue' nation ..remember it dint play in Zim in 2003 WC (forefited the match) and now this!!! When will this end ?

In the '96 WC, had England and the Aussies had their way SL would not have hosted the WC ( Aus did not play there, they forfeited it).SL made amazing strides from then on .Imagine if ICC had stopped tours to SL taking cue from these 'rougue' nations ,SL cricket would have been killed.

Hope India,BD.Pak and WI stop this malice.

Kabir
July 2, 2008, 09:09 AM
What does cricket have to do with politics?

PM and Presidents of most countries are appealing to Zimbabwe President for ending his reign...and get a checkup done. And that's as far as it should go to.

AsifTheManRahman
July 2, 2008, 09:20 AM
Cricket is life is emotion is politics.

OK, that didn't come out too well. Let me rephrase.

Cricket is life.
Politics runs life.
=> Politics runs cricket.

Nah, not happening. Four-day weekend's killed many brain cells.

The point is, cricket should be mixed with politics, as should all other sports. Why give up the chance to beat the crap out of your real life enemies without anyone getting hurt (physically)?

As for Zimbabwe, I couldn't care less whether they are allowed to stay or not. Either way should be fine.

Kabir
July 2, 2008, 10:18 AM
ATMR is getting dumber and dumber. That's all I could gather from the above post.

Sorry ATMR :)

akabir77
July 2, 2008, 10:46 AM
If we would get more games by banning them then by all means BAN them but if we won't then let them play...

Alien
July 4, 2008, 07:13 AM
Ironic that you should bring SA into this discussion.England the country that is pushing for the ban against Zim was one of the countries that opposed a ban on S.A.Infact the English govt. did not sever their economic relations (with SA) even until the late '80s.Color of the skin is sure pushing it to ban Zim now.

I feel what happens withing a country is its own internal matter.Perceptions would depend on the beholder, eg: US liberation of Iraq.

When the so called rogue nations Iran and N.Korea can compete in the Olympics why not Zim?

For me it is hypocrisy at its best ! Wonder why only the Eng, Aussies and the NZ are pushing it to the tee while other countries (including SA until recently) were more or less indifferent?

Leaders come and go, policies change ( US followed segregation until the mid '60's, none called for its ban ) but sports should be above it !

I am talking about how ICC functions as a whole and its verdict on this matter. If you look at individual board, yes there will by differing politically motivated opinions and hypocrisy but overall ICC must act with fairness.

Back in the old days, 40s, 50s and 60s racism was worldwide, not just confined to US. They had Olympics in Nazi Germany, a country that started a world war that killed about 50 million people. Racism in US didn't sound like a big deal at the time given what had just happened.

Racism doesn't always equate to white oppressing the black. It can (and rarely) apply to the fact that whites are being oppressed by blacks as is the case of Zimbabwe.

You are right there is enormous hypocrisy especially when Iran and NK are allowed to take part in sports and Zimbabwe is being banned. But taking care of Zimbabwe at least makes sends some message. Otherwise every rogue nation will use this excuse.

Alien
July 4, 2008, 07:19 AM
Anyway, Zimbabwe pulled out of the Twenty20 championship.