PDA

View Full Version : The new Ash, his transformation and few thoughts.

Rabz
June 24, 2008, 12:05 PM
First of all, congratulation to Mohammad Ashraful for his second ODI hundred. A century is a century, regardless the opponents. You still have to score those one hundred runs.

Now his transformation.

His last three innings fetched him 56, 37 and 109. Thats a whopping 67 runs per innings, which is way above his career average.

The new Ash that we've all been talking about seems like to be coming into light.
He looks much more composed, determined and eager to score and stay in the wicket rather than his usual self of go out there and score quickly and get out.
Its not even about the runs, but more importantly, his approach toward his own batting and to the game itself.

May be we are truely watching the transformation here that we've all wanted so badly.

Whatever JS tried to drill in his head over the past 6 months seems to be working.

Carry on Ash, i say.

Kabir
June 24, 2008, 12:19 PM
Rabz bhai...I just hope you're not one day early in opening this thread. Today, in the heat of the moment, you opened this thread. Now imagine what will happen tomorrow? We're playing SL...not sure if you'll have the same kind of observation about Ash tomm :)

Eshen
June 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
A new Ash or Ash on another lucky streak ? According to Cricinfo, he survived three inside edges and a fumbled catch today.
Ashraful, off the very next ball, had a lucky escape when an inside edge missed the stumps, and Shah was left frustrated when an almost identical shot brought Bangladesh their first boundary in the next over.

Ashraful, however, settled down and the signs were ominous when he latched on to a short delivery from Amjad Javed and crashed it to the midwicket boundary. But once again, there was another slice of fortune when a third inside edge went past the wicketkeeper.

... He celebrated the landmark with another scorcher to the extra cover boundary off Silva, though it was a near fumble by the cover fielder who just about got his hands on to the ball.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/asiacup/content/story/355947.html

Kabir
June 24, 2008, 12:31 PM
Lol...koite na koite dekhi news choila ashche...didn't even need to wait until tomm ;)

Rabz
June 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
Well, Kabir bhai, thats something left to be seen.

And no, i did not open it in the heat of the moment. If i had done it, i would have opened this thread right after Bangladesh innings. I've waited almost till the end of the match to open it. :)

Tomorrow is a whole new day. And im talking about the continuation of his innings.
May be my sample is not that big. Only 3 innings. But those 3 innings are good enough to have some idea about his intentions.

Yes, there were probably couple of nudges and edges. But it was his determination to stay in the middle and eagerness to curve a big innigs was applaudable.
Offcourse to do that, he needed a good partnership and he got that in form of Tamim and Raqib.

Tomorrow he might fail, he might not.
Like everyone else, i'm also eager to see what happens next.

akabir77
June 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
i say its 2 early... ash rey nea keo kisu likhtey parley r tor shoy na polapain er...

Rabz
June 24, 2008, 12:37 PM
A new Ash or Ash on another lucky streak ? According to Cricinfo, he survived three inside edges and a fumbled catch today.

Lucky streaks dont get you to a century.
Yes, there were couple of close calls early in his innings, but those are part of the game.

Somedays they go for you, other days it doesnt.

Beamer
June 24, 2008, 12:40 PM

Well, you need luck sometimes on way to a big score. Every batsmen will attest to that. Sometimes, he won't be lucky and maybe he will be out for a duck or single digit score, but, as long as he doesn't 'try' to gift his wkt at every opportunity, I am happy with the new approach. This should pay dividends in the test arena as well. Hate him or love him, very few in our country has the technical ability and flair that is Ashraful. He is seeking to improve the mental aspect of his game.

Cash$$$
June 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
wow a century against UAE and already new threads! This was just flash in the pan, if he does something better next game then we will know, the meditation course helped him.

BANFAN
June 24, 2008, 12:45 PM
Amidst all the shakiness at the begining and a few chances, his attitude has changed and that's a big thing. But worrying thing is that, he seems to have totally forgotten to hit big even when it is needed. Specially after he completed his hundred, he couldn't hit even when he wanted to. Overall good change though.

Would like to see against the big teams, how it works.

Kabir
June 24, 2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, there were probably couple of nudges and edges. But it was his determination to stay in the middle and eagerness to curve a big innigs was applaudable.

See...this is not what I was pointing at. I was pointing at something of this sort:

"He celebrated the landmark with another scorcher to the extra cover boundary off Silva, though it was a near fumble by the cover fielder who just about got his hands on to the ball."

If this is true, then I would say...he hasn't learnt anything new.

However, this is not to say that I'm not happy for him. I am certainly happy...a century is a century, and it's there because of his determination. It's an achievement. But how he got there is equally important to me...and I'm still seeing his failure in this "how" part.

On any day, I would like to see a more "well-defined" 50 than a fluke 100 with 3 chances. :)

Miraz
June 24, 2008, 12:46 PM
I will wait until the end of the Asia cup before calling him "The new Ash". Let's see how he fares against better bowling attacks.

oracle
June 24, 2008, 12:46 PM
He is responding well to the Siddons jhari.

djnaved
June 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
Congratulation to Ashraful.......... a great knock:-D

i agree with miraz vai, we have to wait till the asia cup ends, we need to see how he will play next matches and how he will lead the team.:)

Beamer
June 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
I will wait until the end of the Asia cup before calling him "The new Ash". Let's see how he fares against better bowling attacks.
Miraz

Thats probably a safe thing to do. I will wait as well. See, he is the only guy in our team, who rarely looks out of place against any bowling attack, be it a better attack than the one served up today, or worse for that matter. His problem was with his approach to the game, the shot selections, the timing and quality of some shots that usually crafted his downfall. The indication so far is good with his approach. If you want, don't credit JS if that suits you better, but, you must applaud Ash for finally learning. There will be mishits and low scores in between, but, as long as he is consistent with his approach, we will see better scores from him on average. We will benefit.

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
Well, you need luck sometimes on way to a big score. Every batsmen will attest to that. Sometimes, he won't be lucky and maybe he will be out for a duck or single digit score, but, as long as he doesn't 'try' to gift his wkt at every opportunity, I am happy with the new approach. This should pay dividends in the test arena as well. Hate him or love him, very few in our country has the technical ability and flair that is Ashraful. He is seeking to improve the mental aspect of his game.
Ditto.:)

Miraz
June 24, 2008, 01:04 PM
Beamer,
I do appreciate Siddon's effort to turn Ash into a more consistent performer, but I would like to see a strike rate of around 70-80 regardless of the strength of the bowling attacks. Now Ash managed to score a century with a reasonable strike rate against UAE, that's an excellent effort and I applaud his knock whole-heartedly. Now if he scores a 50 against a better bowling attack (every other team has got way better bowling attack), with a strike rate of around 50, I can't really appreciate that. It will not help the cause of the team. It's good to be consitent but that should help Bangladesh to win matches.

The way he played against Pakistan and India only boosted his average and created no chance of competitiveness/winning for Bangladesh.

And that's why I want to see his approach in the next few games before coming to any conclusion.

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:06 PM
wow a century against UAE and already new threads! This was just flash in the pan, if he does something better next game then we will know, the meditation course helped him.
We all wish Ash doee better tomorrow. But, what he has done today..can NOT be counted! Nothing else to say...:timeout:

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2008, 01:09 PM
9 out of 10. Ash's batting. Doesn't matter of those early lives or opponents.

2 out of 10. Ash's captaincy. Pathetic to say the least.

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:11 PM
Tomorrow is a whole new day. And im talking about the continuation of his innings.
May be my sample is not that big. Only 3 innings. But those 3 innings are good enough to have some idea about his intentions.

Offcourse to do that, he needed a good partnership and he got that in form of Tamim and Raqib.

Its great to see the standard of our expectation now a days. Even a 100 is not enough to please us!
Sydney, thanks for the thread. :)

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
9 out of 10. Ash's batting. Doesn't matter of those early lives or opponents.

He is worst than Bashar when it comes to captaicy, for sure. Do we really need Ashraful as our captain?!:)

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2008, 01:15 PM
He is worst than Bashar when it comes to captaicy, for sure. Do we really need Ashraful as our captain?!:)
I wouldn't go that far. lol. I have a soft corner for Habibul Bashar. His special number is uno #1. 1 out of 10. (captaincy)

cricman
June 24, 2008, 01:16 PM

Very Hypocritical of you, to say at the very least

He Brought the pacers like you wanted and they got the stuffing beat our from them, His Captancy was fine. Had a very Aggresive Field settings (According a certain Waqar), He just had some really crappy bowlers.

One thing to Consider Comparing Bashar's Captaincy to Ash ... Bashar had Rasel, Rafique and Sakib.

Thats much better than Riad, Shahadat and Dollar.

ottawaGuy
"I put the heat on Shakib and Aftab [Ahmed] after Faisalabad and they responded well to it," Siddons said. "I am now putting the heat on Ashraful in the same way."(April 15, 2008. Cricinfo). Since then Ashraful's ODI scores were 30, 56, 36, 109. Interesting figures but too early to judge anything.

cricket_dorshok
The term 'consistency' is slowly coming to BD cricket (it was completely absent before).
Once its achieved, the others factors like strike rate, accelerating run rate when needed, etc will be achieved easily. We can't do all at a time.

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
I do appreciate Siddon's effort to turn Ash into a more consistent performer, but I would like to see a strike rate of around 70-80 regardless of the strength of the bowling attacks. Now Ash managed to score a century with a reasonable strike rate against UAE, that's an excellent effort and I applaud his knock whole-heartedly. Now if he scores a 50 against a better bowling attack (every other team has got way better bowling attack), with a strike rate of around 50, I can't really appreciate that. It will not help the cause of the team. It's good to be consitent but that should help Bangladesh to win matches.

The way he played against Pakistan and India only boosted his average and created no chance of competitiveness/winning for Bangladesh.

You said it, Miraz bhai. Ashraful needs to increase his strike rate to win matches for us. I think he knows that but not successful yet. Need time to adopt the new approach, I guess.:-D

Sovik
June 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
It was against UAE. i will wait till the next match. it seems that he wants to stay at the crease

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:23 PM
"I put the heat on Shakib and Aftab [Ahmed] after Faisalabad and they responded well to it," Siddons said. "I am now putting the heat on Ashraful in the same way."(April 15, 2008. Cricinfo). Since then Ashraful's ODI scores were 30, 56, 36, 109. Interesting figures but too early to judge anything.
I see a trend there though...:-D

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't go that far. lol. I have a soft corner for Habibul Bashar. His special number is uno #1. 1 out of 10. (captaincy)
Well, Bashar get 10 out of 10 as a gentle man!:)

Beamer
June 24, 2008, 01:25 PM
Beamer,

And that's why I want to see his approach in the next few games before coming to any conclusion.

At least he learning, albeit too early to say with affirmative, to play situational cricket. With one man down early, only option left for him was to build the platform, like it was today. It is also crucial that he gets partnerships along the way. Young man Roqibul was the more aggressor, and I applaud him for assesing the situation, and left Ash being the builder of the platform. Earlier Ash would have played the same vein way regardless of the situation citing the need to play his 'natural game'. End result, maybe a 90 SR 30. Not very helpful if you are the no.3. We had Aftab doing exactly the same thing. It worked beautifully some times, but, what it also did was set him back as a batsman. Also, the caliber of Ash is such that he can raise his SR any time once he settles in. He might start slowish but can easily end up with a respectable SR. I would want him to make the transition carefully. You guys want too much from him. I would like a not out 130 from him every time with a SR of 100. But, thats not gonna happen. Not with him, not with anybody..Patience..

kalpurush
June 24, 2008, 01:28 PM
Have a great day...<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->Beamer (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=243) <!-- END TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->, <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->ottawaGuy (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=2453) <!-- END TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->, <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->Tigers_eye (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=1743) <!-- END TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->, <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->TomalCA (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=7431) <!-- END TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->, <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: forumdisplay_loggedinuser -->tonoy (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=3780)
Will join to celebrate tomorrow....:)

cricman
June 24, 2008, 01:28 PM
Beamer,

Cricket is 11 vs 11 isn't it?

And no he didn't throw in the Towel from the begging, the Pakistan match was over by the time he was there he could of batted @ 100 SR we still would have lost. He created Partnerships, It might be hard for a few of you guys to understand this but we Only have 3 Geniune Batsmen on this Squad as Aftab and Sakib are not here

Tamim, Ash and Rakibul, were only 3 deep ... The rest SUCK in case you didn't notice remember he blasted 70 off 50 what did the rest do? He needs to stay there when he's on the crease his partner seems to play better as well

He was apart of Partnerships of 95 and 140 Today, and 76 in the India Match and that was with a 50 SR (We scored 222 and the rest of the Batsmen did crap), the rest of the Batsmen couldn't and Can't build on platforms set by Raqibul, Tamim and Ash. Thats why it's imperitive that they stay in the crease, you may see it as giving up 20-30 runs but I see it as saving 50-70 runs.

Beamer
June 24, 2008, 01:31 PM
cricman is right. We are indeed missing two vital cogs in our one day batting. That makes it even more pleasing.

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2008, 01:32 PM
Very Hypocritical of you, to say at the very least

He Brought the pacers like you wanted and they got the stuffing beat our from them, His Captancy was fine. Had a very Aggresive Field settings (According a certain Waqar), He just had some really crappy bowlers.

One thing to Consider Comparing Bashar's Captaincy to Ash ... Bashar had Rasel, Rafique and Sakib.

Thats much better than Riad, Shahadat and Dollar.
lol, thank you, thank you, thank you. I am a hypocrite and I do not deny it.

I didn't watch the match live but followed via cricinfo. In this contest you can not defend his pathetic captaincy. Any club captain has more sense to when to apply pressure.

Powerplay 2, UAE already tied down. The initial beating subsided. 5 overs 13 runs.

Powerplay 3, 16th over: 2 runs. and a wicket UAE 4 down now.
17th over maiden.
18th over 2 runs.
19th over 1 runs.
20th over 11 runs.
Total of 16 runs in 5 overs.

Why do think we had 16 and 13 runs in Powerplay 2 and 3? 29 runs in 10 overs? This is a fundamental understanding of cricket. Once you answer that I would refute your claim of hypocracy on Ash's captaincy.

Thank you and waiting bro.

MohammedC
June 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
Congrats Ash. Lets hope this good run continues.

LateCut
June 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
This site is temporally <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P> </O:P>
unavailable for <O:P> </O:P>
maintenance work
Tiger Cricket at this time

Razi
June 24, 2008, 01:39 PM
First of all, congratulation to Mohammad Ashraful for his second ODI hundred. A century is a century, regardless the opponents. You still have to score those one hundred runs.

Now his transformation.

His last three innings fetched him 56, 37 and 109. Thats a whopping 67 runs per innings, which is way above his career average.

The new Ash that we've all been talking about seems like to be coming into light.
He looks much more composed, determined and eager to score and stay in the wicket rather than his usual self of go out there and score quickly and get out.
Its not even about the runs, but more importantly, his approach toward his own batting and to the game itself.

May be we are truely watching the transformation here that we've all wanted so badly.

Whatever JS tried to drill in his head over the past 6 months seems to be working.

Carry on Ash, i say.

Actually in last three matches Ash has scored 201 runs at an average of 100.5, this is really good work by him as well as Siddons, hope he continues his good form in rest of the asia cup.

cricman
June 24, 2008, 01:44 PM
lol, thank you, thank you, thank you. I am a hypocrite and I do not deny it.

I didn't watch the match live but followed via cricinfo. In this contest you can not defend his pathetic captaincy. Any club captain has more sense to when to apply pressure.

Powerplay 2, UAE already tied down. The initial beating subsided. 5 overs 13 runs.

Powerplay 3, 16th over: 2 runs. and a wicket UAE 4 down now.
17th over maiden.
18th over 2 runs.
19th over 1 runs.
20th over 11 runs.
Total of 16 runs in 5 overs.

Why do think we had 16 and 13 runs in Powerplay 2 and 3? 29 runs in 10 overs? This is a fundamental understanding of cricket. Once you answer that I would refute your claim of hypocracy on Ash's captaincy.

Thank you and waiting bro.

Cause UAE Batsmen are clueess against Spin Bowling they can handle Pace very well, there were plently of fielders inside the Circle after the PP overs for my liking.

The Spinners boggled them down, we were Murali to them.

UAE were Crash and Burn Boundaries or Dot Balls after the Great Dollar/Rajib/Mortaza Pace Trio bowled like Champions than he went back to a Defensive setting, playing the overs out

Rabz
June 24, 2008, 01:46 PM
Its great to see the standard of our expectation now a days. Even a 100 is not enough to please us!
Sydney, thanks for the thread. :)

My pleasure brother. :)

At least he learning, albeit too early to say with affirmative, to play situational cricket. With one man down early, only option left for him was to build the platform, like it was today. .................... I would like a not out 130 from him every time with a SR of 100. But, thats not gonna happen. Not with him, not with anybody..Patience..

Great post Beamer.

No one is jumping in joy for his century against UAE. Offcourse its a good knock and definitely the captains knock, but for the millionth time, its his approach that is the subject of discussion here.

He slowly realises his importance in the team and playing accordingly. And he can only do that if he gets support, the way he got today.

Its not ALL about Ash in the team, but he is ONE big vital part of our team.
All the parts needs to click together as well for a team success.
And it looks like he is slowly stepping in to be the nuclear, around which everyone can play their part to come into togetherness.

I really hope he gets some good runs tomorrow.

djnaved
June 24, 2008, 01:48 PM
Actually in last three matches Ash has scored 201 runs at an average of 100.5, this is really good work by him as well as Siddons, hope he continues his good form in rest of the asia cup.

201 divided by 3= average is 67:confused:

Rabz
June 24, 2008, 01:49 PM

I took out the his "not out" status in his innings of 56 deliberately.
Those are for pure stats.
Im just trying to give a picture here.

cricman
June 24, 2008, 01:50 PM

He was only out twice in those 3 innings 201/2 = 100.5

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2008, 01:59 PM
Cause UAE Batsmen are clueess against Spin Bowling they can handle Pace very well, there were plently of fielders inside the Circle after the PP overs for my liking.

The Spinners boggled them down, we were Murali to them.
great you are absolutely right. There were plenty of fielders inside the circle during the powerplay.

There were only 13 singles in Powerplay 2 and 3 combined. in 10 overs.

Now right after the powerplay overs 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - there were 16 singles alone in half the overs. Since I didn't see the match, I must feel Ash had taken out some of the fielders let the pressure off. This inlines along the same defensive captaincy that Bashar had. For heaven's sake the run rate has already climbed over 8. Why not keep the pressure on and leave the fielders inside the circle. More pressure would make them crumble or make them give up don't you think? Why doesn't our captains understand this simple analogy?

When Arshar Ali got out at 117/5 (28th over) he still continued his spinners. RRR 8.36 then. Where are our strike bowlers? Sucking eggs?? New batsman in and we continue to spin for another 4 overs of spin dosage and let him get settled. With three pacers in the side and they only bowled only 10 overs combined at that point, that was the best time to bring in one of them.

Ash waited for the UAE batsmen to make mistakes instead of going after them with 300 runs on the board. If you don't become aggressive now when you will become aggressive?

The 2 out 10 was a generous mark.

Eshen
June 24, 2008, 02:02 PM
Pacers being so horrendous, Ashraful actually did not have much option but to relay on spinners, can't blame him here.

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2008, 02:16 PM
Pacers being so horrendous, Ashraful actually did not have much option but to relay on spinners, can't blame him here.
yes but why take the feet out of the gas paddle when you have them by the throat?

Is there any rule that after powerplay a captain can't have 9 fielders inside the circle?

With a 300 run on board, 4 down, RRR 7+ I think that was what we needed. I have no gripes on him continuing the spinners at 21-28 overs. Immidiately after the 5th wicket he should have brought in the strike bowlers. Not wait till 33rd over. That is very simple cricket.

RezOne
June 24, 2008, 02:21 PM
Congrats to Ashraful for playing a good responsible captain's innings. Yeah it was against the UAE but still I have to give him credit. He's at least trying to change his old style of playing. Obviously whatever Siddons is doing it's working on Ash. Hopefully he'll continue on this road and be the type of player we all imagine he can be.

crikfreak
June 24, 2008, 02:27 PM
i'd wait till the end of the asia cup before saying anything.. but i'm seeing some positives in his new batting approach..

al Furqaan
June 24, 2008, 03:23 PM
Beamer,

Miraz I 200% agree with you. Let me make that clear.

I too will wait till end of Asia Cup before beggining to whisper about a "new ash".

however, remember the bashar thread several weeks ago? you were ignoring the fact that bashar had a 50-something SR against G8 sides vs ash's 70+ SR - tho both batsmen had similar averages (actually of last 3 years, ash's average has been significanlty higher).

i don't want to call you out, or say that bashar is a crap batsmen, or even that ash is bradman reborn.

just wanted to point out that SR is important in ODI cricket and that there is a difference between bashar average 19 against top sides and ash averaging 25 against the same opponents.

al Furqaan
June 24, 2008, 03:26 PM
ash has definitely had chances on his way to scoring 220 runs in his last 4 innings. but thats to be expected with such a drastic change in batting approach. i also feel that his 50 strike rate is an anomaly that will go away with more experience batting responsibly.

captaincy wise, i think ash is stagnating a la bashar.

Beamer
June 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
Miraz I 200% agree with you. Let me make that clear.

I too will wait till end of Asia Cup before beggining to whisper about a "new ash".

however, remember the bashar thread several weeks ago? you were ignoring the fact that bashar had a 50-something SR against G8 sides vs ash's 70+ SR - tho both batsmen had similar averages (actually of last 3 years, ash's average has been significanlty higher).

i don't want to call you out, or say that bashar is a crap batsmen, or even that ash is bradman reborn.

just wanted to point out that SR is important in ODI cricket and that there is a difference between bashar average 19 against top sides and ash averaging 25 against the same opponents.

I will say it. Bashar was a crap one day batsman. There..

WarWolf
June 24, 2008, 03:32 PM
ash has definitely had chances on his way to scoring 220 runs in his last 4 innings. but thats to be expected with such a drastic change in batting approach. i also feel that his 50 strike rate is an anomaly that will go away with more experience batting responsibly.

captaincy wise, i think ash is stagnating a la bashar.
Today he looked a lot more composed batsman than ever. Though he had given a few quarter chances, they didn't look nasty as before. They are normal cricketing chances you would expect from even every good batsman. He seemed to know when to defend and when to hit which is totally unlike him. Though it's too early to tell. Yet I am optimistic about him.

Umar
June 24, 2008, 03:55 PM
maybe we should jst stop lafa lafying about ashraful. let him jst play! there is no plan or thoughts about him!

BANFAN
June 24, 2008, 04:02 PM
I appreciate his new approach and just hope that he can pick up his strike rate higher. He is way to slow. This Ash might be able to raise his average a bit, but winning matches will be difficult.

Don't like to lose a match winner.

Foozy
June 24, 2008, 04:04 PM
viva la ash!!
hilwa ya jadeed ashrafullll!!!
shaabash!!!
lol
he did play a good innings today, be it against uae or watever and even though he had the chance go get out 3 times at the start... watever....

and i have to mention here that mushfiq also played a good knock today... no one really noticed that... he finally played attacking... yes he got out... but without him and dollar we would not have reached 300...

congrats bd!!

Gowza
June 24, 2008, 05:21 PM
for ashraful it's all about staying at the crease, he's always going to score runs. as for strike rates, scoring 109 off 115 balls at a strike rate of 86.50 is a very fine innings, granted it was against UAE but if he can produce these sort of innings' against top teams then we should all be happy.

who said we weren't seeing any progress under siddons? ashraful's change in his view of the game i would consider as progress. in regards to ashraful not hitting out after he got the century maybe he was trying to get to the 45th over before hitting out? i know rahim and dolar scored quickly in this game but rahim isn't known as a big hitter and we can't rely on dolar to score that many runs that quickly every game so in ashraful's mind he was probably the last big hitter in the line-up and wanted to be their for the final overs.

congrats ash, good innings, hope to see many more of them in the future (preferably against top teams).

RazabQ
June 24, 2008, 05:27 PM
anyone has highlights?

MohammedC
June 24, 2008, 05:36 PM
anyone has highlights?

Try here i am watching now

http://www.zshare.net/video/14146149ef858ff4/

Eshen
June 24, 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks a lot Mohammed Bhai.

ausbangfan
June 24, 2008, 06:19 PM
i just hope ash averages over 40 for the Asia Cup

simon
June 24, 2008, 06:22 PM
First of all Congratulations to Ash.
I had something to say about the previous comments concerning those edges & lucky moments for Ash. Well these happens to everyone.Even SALMAN BtT in the final against
INDIA was dropped by Roh SH. And what about Gaut GMBHr being dropped twice by Y.KHWe dont mind to admire those inngs of SALM BTT against BD & the century by Gmbhr agnst BD. But when it comes to ASH 109 agnst UAE we dont appreciate it.
Dont forget that these great players from IND or PAK are playing against a weaker team like BD (UAE is also weaker than BD)So if we appreciate Butt or Sehwag or Gambhir inngs we should appreciate ASH's 100 & his inngs in Kitply.

Eshen
June 24, 2008, 06:29 PM
From what I have seen in highlights, Ashraful's footwork was crap in the early part of his innings.

To my surprise, UAE's bowling was not worse than that of Zimbabwe (Zahid Shah could find a place in Bangladesh team). However, Zim is a much better fielding unit.

cricket_pagol
June 24, 2008, 06:57 PM
Did not see the beginning of Ashrafool's innings, but i thought he played pretty well during the second part of his innings... However, there was some lapse in concentration and he did give some chances.

Dhurr
June 24, 2008, 07:40 PM
Century hoilo century. UAE'r against boila congratulations dimu na, eita thik na. So congratulations. A couple of mistakes here and there, but overall, well-paced innings.

Congratulations deya shesh. Eibar ashol kotha te ashi. 3 ta innings deikha nachon thik na. Pola ta re arro koita innings khelte den, tarpore boilen consistent. Or have you all forgotten 100, 94 and 58 in back to back to back innings IN ENGLAND, twice against AUSTRALIA and once against ENGLAND? Etto joldi bhuila gelen bhaijan ra?

100, 94 ar 58 er pore Ashraful ki khelsilo, mone ase? 0, 7, 0, 4, 31, 0, 4.

Tai etto joldi naichen na. Arro kichu innings khelte den, arro kichu boro innings khelte den, tarpore boilen consistency er kotha. He NEEDS to be consistent for the team's sake. Can he be consistent? We will see. Is he a changed batsman? Too early to tell. At least watch a few matches before you declare him a consistent scorer.

Dhurr
June 24, 2008, 08:05 PM
Another statistics you might find interesting.

Ashraful's average against the top-8 sides since Siddons took over: 26.18

I might be a little bit off, so correct me if I am wrong. Siddons took over in October 2007. Since then, Ashraful has played 1 innings against India (36), 3 innings against New Zealand (70, 3, 25), 6 against Pakistan (9, 22, 16, 4, 30, 56*) and 3 against South Africa (8, 0, 9). I think, and I could be wrong, that Siddons was the coach in all those series. If I am right, then Ashraful's average since Siddons took over (26.18) is slightly higher than his career average (23.67). This might seem like a significant improvement to some, but it is not and let me tell you why.

If you average Ashraful's scores around the time he scored 100, 94 and 58 in three consecutive innings, you will again get similar average. Take the 13 ODIs against top-8 competition leading up to and including the 58 against Australia, and Ashraful's average was 27.69 (0 vs PK, 4 vs SA, 10 vs WI, 2 vs NZ, 17 vs NZ, 13 vs NZ, 2 vs IND, 28 vs IND, 32 vs IND, 0 vs ENG, 100 vs AUS, 94 vs ENG, 58 vs AUS).

His average in 13 ODIs against top-8 teams leading up to everyone saying he was more "consistent" then was 27.69. His average in 13 ODIs against top-8 teams leading up to everyone again saying he is consistent is 26.18. In summary: Jahai bahanno, tahai teppanno.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer for everyone. I know all we have is HOPE that the batsmen will become more mature and become more consistent, so we try to clutch onto every little straw we can find. In this case with Ashraful, it might be just dashed hopes again. I have hope that it's not, but by looking at statistics and past results, my and your hopes might be dashed again.

Eshen
June 24, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ashraful's ODI average, against top 8, under Siddons is 24, with strike rate 71.28

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/55988.html?class=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;oppos ition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opp osition=7;opposition=8;spanmin2=01+Dec+2007;spanva l2=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Ashraul's ODI average, against top 8, under Whatmore in his last two years with us was 28, with strike rate 81.41

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/55988.html?class=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;oppos ition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opp osition=7;opposition=8;spanmax2=31+May+2007;spanmi n2=01+May+2005;spanval2=span;template=results;type =batting;view=innings

Once again, I am not convinced yet that we are now seeing a new improved Ash.

abdulmukit
June 24, 2008, 09:14 PM
From what I have seen in highlights, Ashraful's footwork was crap in the early part of his innings.

where did you watch the HL's please tell me the link if you watched it on the internet.

al Furqaan
June 24, 2008, 09:17 PM

I present to the jury the current picture on the BC homepage (ash aknowledging his UAE century). the look in his eyes is compeltely different from his previous ton celebrations. its a determined look, as if to say "thank god i was able to do what i had to, 109 against UAE is good, but no achievement".

i am quite sure, ash will stumble again, but he is now minnow bashing like never before (only SN's bashing is better - or worse). if he can continue with his recent mindset of the last few weeks, his average against Great 8 sides should also increase, and i do believe with this performance ash is now averaging 40-50, possibly more against minnows since whatmore dropped him before the ZIM home series in december 2006.

just did the search...ash has been averaging 49.40 with 78.53 strike rate against minnows since dec 1, 2006.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/55988.html?class=2;filter=advanced;opposition=12;o pposition=17;opposition=19;opposition=26;oppositio n=27;opposition=29;opposition=30;opposition=9;orde rby=default;spanmin1=1+dec+2006;spanval1=span;temp late=results;type=batting

this is primarily responsible for his average climbing up.

again, he will struggle at some point in the future. but can he maintain an overall positive trend against G8 sides as well?

if he continues to bat determinedly i think he will. a 30+ career average is not far away.

MohammedC
June 24, 2008, 09:23 PM
where did you watch the HL's please tell me the link if you watched it on the internet.

here

abdulmukit
June 24, 2008, 09:27 PM
here

thanks a ton mohammed bhai :)

al Furqaan
June 24, 2008, 09:41 PM
here

great stuff...please do the other 4 matches.

shammun
June 24, 2008, 10:28 PM
Try here i am watching now

THANKS BHAI.......::)

Pundit
June 24, 2008, 10:37 PM
Another statistics you might find interesting.

Ashraful's average against the top-8 sides since Siddons took over: 26.18

I might be a little bit off, so correct me if I am wrong. Siddons took over in October 2007. Since then, Ashraful has played 1 innings against India (36), 3 innings against New Zealand (70, 3, 25), 6 against Pakistan (9, 22, 16, 4, 30, 56*) and 3 against South Africa (8, 0, 9). I think, and I could be wrong, that Siddons was the coach in all those series. If I am right, then Ashraful's average since Siddons took over (26.18) is slightly higher than his career average (23.67). This might seem like a significant improvement to some, but it is not and let me tell you why.

If you average Ashraful's scores around the time he scored 100, 94 and 58 in three consecutive innings, you will again get similar average. Take the 13 ODIs against top-8 competition leading up to and including the 58 against Australia, and Ashraful's average was 27.69 (0 vs PK, 4 vs SA, 10 vs WI, 2 vs NZ, 17 vs NZ, 13 vs NZ, 2 vs IND, 28 vs IND, 32 vs IND, 0 vs ENG, 100 vs AUS, 94 vs ENG, 58 vs AUS).

His average in 13 ODIs against top-8 teams leading up to everyone saying he was more "consistent" then was 27.69. His average in 13 ODIs against top-8 teams leading up to everyone again saying he is consistent is 26.18. In summary: Jahai bahanno, tahai teppanno.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer for everyone. I know all we have is HOPE that the batsmen will become more mature and become more consistent, so we try to clutch onto every little straw we can find. In this case with Ashraful, it might be just dashed hopes again. I have hope that it's not, but by looking at statistics and past results, my and your hopes might be dashed again.

You think too much. Write up a diary or something...might bring more value in life.

Zeeshan
June 24, 2008, 11:03 PM
You think too much. Write up a diary or something...might bring more value in life.

lol

Blah
June 25, 2008, 12:19 AM
So now, some people (cricket gurus ?!) are not happy with his century because it wasn't picture perfect? Because (oh my gawd), he had some nicks during his innings?

Somewhere along the way you have to draw a line, where analysis goes from "reasonable" to "insane" and you start critisizing someone who just scored a century; just because you don't like the coach.

It's OK to be wrong. After all we are human.

Dhurr
June 25, 2008, 12:34 AM
I backed up everything I said with facts. All you people do are act like women. You bitch and moan and base every decision on emotions. Go cry in a corner, faggot.

auntu
June 25, 2008, 01:02 AM
Lets hope he continue like this.

Ekta mojar bepar just 2 share wid BC fanz i am at Nauga right now browsing through cell. GP's performance is real good.

Cant watch ...

BD-Shardul
June 25, 2008, 01:07 AM
Great Posts from Beamer and Cricman bhais.

TE bhai, I agree with your calculation, but I wonder if any of our player is smart enough to all those captaincy calculations in their head when they are in the field. May be some of them can, but tough to be 100% accurate.

Coach Jamie Siddons BTW is happy with Mohammad Ashraful's captaincy.

nsd3
June 25, 2008, 01:13 AM
Ashraful's ODI average, against top 8, under Siddons is 24, with strike rate 71.28

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/55988.html?class=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;oppos ition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opp osition=7;opposition=8;spanmin2=01+Dec+2007;spanva l2=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Ashraul's ODI average, against top 8, under Whatmore in his last two years with us was 28, with strike rate 81.41

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/55988.html?class=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;oppos ition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opp osition=7;opposition=8;spanmax2=31+May+2007;spanmi n2=01+May+2005;spanval2=span;template=results;type =batting;view=innings

When comparing stats there should be similar base. DW era was spanned in 2 years. JS spent just above 6 months or so. If you take last 13 matches (G8 sides) under DW and all 13 matches (G8 sides) under JS the the following stat would be interesting:

Team Avg Score under DW 179, JS 183 (DW stat had matured side after running 2 years training, while JS just had started with that side)
RR under DW 4.06, JS 4.11 (Even curbing shots gave us higher run rate)

This is improvement. As long as team gains improvements that could be termed as fine for now. The next 1 or 1.5 years should show some real stats to analyze more solidly. If it's not good then JS ke dhue felbo ne. Akhon let's all have patience.

lamisa
June 25, 2008, 01:35 AM

toh r kare captain banaben bhai?

RazabQ
June 25, 2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the highlights. Ash was definitely determined but it's Raqibul who's catching my eye. I'm definitely liking that with Tamim, SN, Raqibul and Saqib, we are starting to get away from a Hobbit-esque batting order :)

Razi
June 25, 2008, 02:35 AM

No my bro, for your kind information the not out innings are not counted as an innings in any forms of cricket but the runs will be added. As his last three innings were 56*,36,109 with a not out innings therefore it should be divided by 2...!!!:doh:

PoorFan
June 25, 2008, 03:12 AM
Change in approach is clear, so is the outcome ( no matter call it increasing average or anything ), but certainly will help to build atmosphere or habit among others in the team, and it has to be start from captain. I rather like to see how fast it spread in the team, and how long they can keep faith in this approach, especially when some one fail few times with low score and strike rate. And this approach will not work if implemented on few, rather than unit as a whole.

Hope they gain enough patience to keep faith on this approach, result will follow if they all stay focused.

cricket_pagol
June 25, 2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the highlights. Ash was definitely determined but it's Raqibul who's catching my eye. I'm definitely liking that with Tamim, SN, Raqibul and Saqib, we are starting to get away from a Hobbit-esque batting order :)

In my eyes raqibul was the star... unlike Ash, he played a chanceless innings. He can become our rock in the middle order!!!

Miraz
June 25, 2008, 04:46 AM
Why field after winning the toss?? Bad decision on a batting wicket.

cricman
June 25, 2008, 07:00 AM

They could be bowling on Lords in April these Idiots will still give away 10-15 an over

Eshen
June 25, 2008, 07:08 AM
I was so convinced back in the time that we could not find a dumber captain than Bashar, how wrong I was !!!

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 09:55 AM

They went for a win here. I think this was a good decision. Do you really think we could restrict SL with these bowlers? exactly. Our best bit was to chase down what ever they set the target too. hence it makes totally sense. didn't you complain that bd shows negative attitude even before start of a game? well at least today they planed well and went for a win... well it didn't work. but what do u expect?

Blah
June 25, 2008, 10:19 AM
I was so convinced back in the time that we could not find a dumber captain than Bashar, how wrong I was !!!

Well, this is not the first time you are wrong...

thebest
June 25, 2008, 11:34 AM
So the new Ash get a life at Seven (the easiest catch Sanath ever dropped) and return the favor by getting out at eight. He was a fluke, is a fluke and will be a fluke. And Ehsan already proved that during DW era he had a better average with better SR than JS era. Considering in DW era he rarely scored agaienst the minnows it is quite an achievement

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
So the new Ash get a life at Seven (the easiest catch Sanath ever dropped) and return the favor by getting out at eight. He was a fluke, is a fluke and will be a fluke. And Ehsan already proved that during DW era he had a better average with better SR than JS era. Considering in DW era he rarely scored agaienst the minnows it is quite an achievement
Today he wasn't out. The ump gave a wrong decision. It didn't touched his gloves...

Rabz
June 25, 2008, 12:17 PM
Today he wasn't out. The ump gave a wrong decision. It didn't touched his gloves...

Thats what i've been also trying to tell earlier today.

He was NOT out. He was given out by the umpire's bad judgement.

Coming back from a century and having a bit of extra confidence, he was certainly looking to accelerate the run rate a bit. May be he should have put that ball away for four, but sure he missed it, but it doesn not call for a bad decision by the umpire.

If he was just standing there trying to hold on to the wicket, im sure everyone would just jump on him asking why is he not going for runs?

Damned you do.
Damned you dont.

al Furqaan
June 25, 2008, 12:19 PM

bashar was a dumb captain with no ingenuity. ash is a dumb captain who may have creative ideas.

i'm sure siddons is stifling ingenuity and telling us to bowl on pancake wickets.

as far as his batting...dumb dismissals will continue to come. just as long as ash's average continues to climb, we're OK. 120 matches into his career, the average will climb slowly even with greatly improved performances.

as for his average against G8 sides being better during whatmore era vs siddons era. lets wait and compute the later JS years with the later DW years. ash is learning or trying a new batting approach. it takes time to change what you've been used to your entire life.

Beamer
June 25, 2008, 12:25 PM
Captains are born, rarely made, though has been done before. Until, that player is born and come up through the ranks, we live with what we got. We are not winning or losing at this point because of captaincy. Ash either won against associates when captaincy played no part. He didn't lose either yet, when captaincy mattered. All losses has been convincing. Bashar has lost a few games because of captaincy, though not many, but he did. So, that comparison is not valid, Yet.

thebest
June 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ok I did not watch Ash's out; so do not know what happened. But saw how Jaya dropped a sitter. The shot was old Ash written all over. I forget the French proverb which is like the more you change, the more it resembles the old. Cheers

cricman
June 25, 2008, 12:43 PM
Ok I did not watch Ash's out; so do not know what happened. But saw how Jaya dropped a sitter. The shot was old Ash written all over. I forget the French proverb which is like the more you change, the more it resembles the old. Cheers

Cause we needed someone to play a Blinder and ash was trying to do that? You don't play the game in the 1st 10 overs for Batting Practice.

djnaved
June 25, 2008, 12:48 PM
this is real ash...........ekta match valo korlo to porer match kharap.......or captaincy deikha ami r ki bolbo.........agea bolto amra confidense pachhi na............tai valo cricket khelte parchi na..........UAE shathe team 300 korlo, ash 100 pailo......confidense pailo........ajke to valo khelar kotha........valo khelar chinno dekhlam na......oi old style fashione shobai wicket through korse, except alok kapali's one

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 12:50 PM
this is real ash...........ekta match valo korlo to porer match kharap.......

This is wrong shey tinta match bhalo korsey 50+, 30+, 100+, and today 10+ but given out by ump... so give him some credit.

Sohel
June 25, 2008, 12:53 PM
Old Ash: PHASHTOBOL.

New Ash: OBHIASLY.

djnaved
June 25, 2008, 12:56 PM
This is wrong shey tinta match bhalo korsey 50+, 30+, 100+, and today 10+ but given out by ump... so give him some credit.

how can i give him credits? In most of his matches, he got several lucks. then he also got several unlucks. luck chara ekta matcheo valo koira khelse to bole amar mone pore na........jodi luck favor na korto, he couldn't get the 50 against pakistan, or get the 2nd century against UAE.....today the luck helped him. but the word unlucky bashed him.......shea most matche luck r unlucky worder kotha bole, ei duita shobdo badh dia ki sensible cricket khela jai na........:-|

Rabz
June 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
যত দোষ, নন্দ ঘোষ ।

এক ম্যচে ৩৭ রান করিল, সবাই কহে এ আবার এমন কি ?
পরের ম্যচে ৫৬ রান করিল, সুধাজনে হায় হায় করিল, এতগুলো বল খাইয়া ফেলিল?
তারপরে সেই নন্দ মারিল সেঞ্চুরি, গোটা গোটা একশত নয়টি রান, তাও কারো মন ভরিল না, "মিসকিনদের" সাথে আবার রান কি? এত আমাদের বাড়ির আবদুল ও করিতে পারিতো ।

বেচারা নন্দ পরের দিন বিচারকের ভূলের শিকার হইল, সবাই বলে, এ নন্দ আকাইমা । এরে দিয়া হবেনা ।

নন্দ বেচারা আকাশ পানে চাহিয়া গুনগুনাইয়া গাহে ,

" ভূল সবই ভূল
এই জীবনের পাতায় পাতায় যা লেখা
সবই ভূল "

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 01:22 PM
how can i give him credits? In most of his matches, he got several lucks. then he also got several unlucks. luck chara ekta matcheo valo koira khelse to bole amar mone pore na........jodi luck favor na korto, he couldn't get the 50 against pakistan, or get the 2nd century against UAE.....today the luck helped him. but the word unlucky bashed him.......shea most matche luck r unlucky worder kotha bole, ei duita shobdo badh dia ki sensible cricket khela jai na........:-|

If you look closely he is playing sensible cricket...

Anyway we can hope but we can't demand... we have no brain lara setting in the bench...

Blah
June 25, 2008, 02:04 PM

This is the lamest reasoning I have seen. Almost makes me wonder how long have you been following cricket. "Nicks", "lucky", "missed catches", "umpiring mistakes" are all part of the game; and it has been like this all the time. Scott Styris, today, led the way for NZ to win against england with the score of 69, the highest score of the innings. He was dropped three time by fielders, and adjucated twice not out on preety convincing appeal of LBW. Yet no one will tell him that you got lucky, but that you led the team to a victory. End up being the man of the match.

Ash performed well inthe last 3-4 games, regardless of the opponents. Which itself is extremely rare. It's a rare sign of him trying and succeeding to a certain extend to improve himself as a batsmen.

Pointing out mistakes, even after permforming well, and crediting them to "luck", is a sign of your lack of understanding of the game of cricket.

Not his lact of commitment to improve himself as a batsmen.

djnaved
June 25, 2008, 02:26 PM
This is the lamest reasoning I have seen. Almost makes me wonder how long have you been following cricket. "Nicks", "lucky", "missed catches", "umpiring mistakes" are all part of the game; and it has been like this all the time. Scott Styris, today, led the way for NZ to win against england with the score of 69, the highest score of the innings. He was dropped three time by fielders, and adjucated twice not out on preety convincing appeal of LBW. Yet no one will tell him that you got lucky, but that you led the team to a victory. End up being the man of the match.

Ash performed well inthe last 3-4 games, regardless of the opponents. Which itself is extremely rare. It's a rare sign of him trying and succeeding to a certain extend to improve himself as a batsmen.

Pointing out mistakes, even after permforming well, and crediting them to "luck", is a sign of your lack of understanding of the game of cricket.

Not his lact of commitment to improve himself as a batsmen.

well bro, a batsman can have several luck in a odi match, but in considering of ash, he is having luck in most of his matches, which is rare.......also, after getting a luck, he got out by unluck, which is also rare..........so it doesn't want to be happen all the time.........why it's all the time that's my question. i haven't seen that much that ash played a superb innings without luck......or ash was going to score a decent score and get out by unluck........so you can't be dependable by a batsman who got luck first, then get out by unluck.........

BD-Shardul
June 25, 2008, 02:57 PM
যত দোষ, নন্দ ঘোষ ।

এক ম্যচে ৩৭ রান করিল, সবাই কহে এ আবার এমন কি ?
পরের ম্যচে ৫৬ রান করিল, সুধাজনে হায় হায় করিল, এতগুলো বল খাইয়া ফেলিল?
তারপরে সেই নন্দ মারিল সেঞ্চুরি, গোটা গোটা একশত নয়টি রান, তাও কারো মন ভরিল না, "মিসকিনদের" সাথে আবার রান কি? এত আমাদের বাড়ির আবদুল ও করিতে পারিতো ।

বেচারা নন্দ পরের দিন বিচারকের ভূলের শিকার হইল, সবাই বলে, এ নন্দ আকাইমা । এরে দিয়া হবেনা ।

নন্দ বেচারা আকাশ পানে চাহিয়া গুনগুনাইয়া গাহে ,

" ভূল সবই ভূল
এই জীবনের পাতায় পাতায় যা লেখা
সবই ভূল "

Rabz Bhai, You ROCK.

Some people can't stand Siddons at all at the moment. So, they try to bash him every poessible way. Try to attack even on the positives. Never let a single chance of making a cheap shot. And some seasoned BCites have become engaged in that. The whole story is becoming like this:

[বাংলা]"ক খ কে বলল, ভাই, আপনার পিঠে তো একটা বিষাক্ত বিচ্ছু। খ আবার ক কে দু চোখে দেখতে পারে না। ধন্যবাদের ত প্রশ্নই অথে না, উলটা ঝারি দিয়ে বলে, "হারামজাদা, পুরা শরীরটা যে ভাল, সেইটা দেখলি না, এক জায়গায় কী একটা পোকা বসেছে, সেইটাই দেখলি"[/বাংলা]

And I myself defend Ash's decision about batting. Batting first, at best we would have scored 250. With our current bowling attack, SL would have sailed to the target within 45 overs for sure. So, Ash took the other way round. He is not "পুঁথিগত বিদ্যা সর্বস্ব" cricket pundit, but I believe he has at least the sense to understand how our bowling is at the moment. So, he was thinking like this, "even we can manage to restrict SL before 275, we would have a good chance of win, even if we play following the team rules."

Bowling is really out of sort at the moment, but hope the situation will improve after the return of Shakib and Rasel.

And before you take another cheapshot with Mohammad Ashraful's captaincy or strategy, please think about weapons he has in his hands. If my opponet has tanks and I am fighting with guns, how much can I succeed even if I am the best strategic thinker? Not much. But if you have the same capability of your opponents, [বাংলা]"এলোপাতাড়ি"[/বাংলা] strategy, [বাংলা]"অন্ধকারে ঢিল মারা"[/বাংলা] I mean, can do wonders.

And what's so funny about 226? Definitely it is not loserish, defeatiest as some of you guys are saying. How much our local team scores in local matches? In 70% of the matches, teams score around 150-170. And the national team, composed players from those teams, are scoring 225+ against the int'i giants . Why would you like that? You decalred yourself anti-Siddons, so you will after all will be trying as hard as possible to live with that.

cricket_dorshok
June 25, 2008, 03:11 PM
Rabz Bhai, You ROCK.

Some people can't stand Siddons at all at the moment. So, they try to bash him every poessible way. Try to attack even on the positives. Never let a single chance of making a cheap shot. And some seasoned BCites have become engaged in that. The whole story is becoming like this:

[বাংলা]"ক খ কে বলল, ভাই, আপনার পিঠে তো একটা বিষাক্ত বিচ্ছু। খ আবার ক কে দু চোখে দেখতে পারে না। ধন্যবাদের ত প্রশ্নই অথে না, উলটা ঝারি দিয়ে বলে, "হারামজাদা, পুরা শরীরটা যে ভাল, সেইটা দেখলি না, এক জায়গায় কী একটা পোকা বসেছে, সেইটাই দেখলি"[/বাংলা]

And I myself defend Ash's decision about batting. Batting first, at best we would have scored 250. With our current bowling attack, SL would have sailed to the target within 45 overs for sure. So, Ash took the other way round. He is not "পুঁথিগত বিদ্যা সর্বস্ব" cricket pundit, but I believe he has at least the sense to understand how our bowling is at the moment. So, he was thinking like this, "even we can manage to restrict SL before 275, we would have a good chance of win, even if we play following the team rules."

Bowling is really out of sort at the moment, but hope the situation will improve after the return of Shakib and Rasel.

And before you take another cheapshot with Mohammad Ashraful's captaincy or strategy, please think about weapons he has in his hands. If my opponet has tanks and I am fighting with guns, how much can I succeed even if I am the best strategic thinker? Not much. But if you have the same capability of your opponents, [বাংলা]"এলোপাতাড়ি"[/বাংলা] strategy, [বাংলা]"অন্ধকারে ঢিল মারা"[/বাংলা] I mean, can do wonders.

And what's so funny about 226? Definitely it is not loserish, defeatiest as some of you guys are saying. How much our local team scores in local matches? In 70% of the matches, teams score around 150-170. And the national team, composed players from those teams, are scoring 225+ against the int'i giants . Why would you like that? You decalred yourself anti-Siddons, so you will after all will be trying as hard as possible to live with that.
nicely put Shardul. kichu kichu BC member der (kalker) post pore mone hoccilo, tara chacche BD UAE er kache here jak, tate tara tader ponditi jahir korte pare ai bole je "ami koichilam Siddon is destroying our cricket".

samjad
June 25, 2008, 03:13 PM
They went for a win here. I think this was a good decision. Do you really think we could restrict SL with these bowlers? exactly. Our best bit was to chase down what ever they set the target too. hence it makes totally sense. didn't you complain that bd shows negative attitude even before start of a game? well at least today they planed well and went for a win... well it didn't work. but what do u expect?

In that condition with those bowlers if they planned it for a win and went to bowl I have to say it was a dumb plan who ever made it.

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 03:25 PM
Rabz Bhai, You ROCK.

I thought I was fighting this battle all alone...

Good post... two thumbs up...

Eshen
June 25, 2008, 03:40 PM

Shardul bhai, don't you think it's funny for Ash to think we could have restricted them under 275 by letting them bat first, but not under 250 by making them bat second ?

You know Lankans are not superhuman. With a pitch that was going slower with time and with Lankans being baked in hot and humid condition for three and half hours, we had a chance to restrict them under 250. Our bowlers might have lost this match anyway, still we should have given them this chance.

Instead of being over imaginative, instead of shooting himself and his fellow players in feet, Ashraful could have done much better by just using common sense.

BD-Shardul
June 25, 2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Eshen
Shardul bhai, don't you think it's funny for Ash to think we could have restricted them under 275 by letting them bat first, but not under 250 by making them bat second ?

Eshen bhai, definitely batting first or bowling first matters. But it is the qulaity of the players that matters most.

The weather condition during the Kitply Cup series was quite similar-hot and humid. We scored 222 against India (and today we socred 226), and India chased it within 35 overs-at the expense of just one wicket. Indians are not superhumans either, at least when they face BD. But what benefit baking them for 3.5 hours under harsh conditions gave us?

In the final, even when India batted second, they scored almost 300. From time to time I have seen that Ind, Aus, Pak and SL won chasing 280+ scores in the subcontiment, even when the conditions were much more hot and humaid. No matter what the condition is, no matter how much run their bowlers concede, these team thinks that they can chase it down. If you have the quality, you can turn the corner even after you are baked for one session.

Unfortunately our players still do not believe that they can chase sown upto 300, and to be honest we are not capable to chase and win if the score is beyond 250. So, I see no fault with our players. Inshallah when we will achieve the quality, confidence, belief everything wil be taken care off.

ANd one more thing, many BC member said it many times. "When we come to bat, a batting paradise becomes a bowling wicket. When opponent comes to bat, a bowling wicket becomes flat pitch". Be it the Whatmore era or the current era, we witnnessed it during ODIs and tests alike. Why? It is not becasue of bad toss decision. The pitch changes, sometimes more, sometimes less. But it is because of our quality, we struggle more often.

nsd3
June 25, 2008, 06:39 PM
If he was just standing there trying to hold on to the wicket, im sure everyone would just jump on him asking why is he not going for runs?

Damned you do.
Damned you dont.
Good. It sounds like JS saying I don't understand ......ppl were asking me to hold Ashraful so that he curbs his shots and now ppl are saying why blocking his natural game?!!

All Cry Babies should note this.

Foozy
June 25, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thats what i've been also trying to tell earlier today.

He was NOT out. He was given out by the umpire's bad judgement.

Coming back from a century and having a bit of extra confidence, he was certainly looking to accelerate the run rate a bit. May be he should have put that ball away for four, but sure he missed it, but it doesn not call for a bad decision by the umpire.

Damned you do.
Damned you dont.

good post :notworthy:

akabir77
June 26, 2008, 09:47 AM
Eshen bhai, definitely batting first or bowling first matters. But it is the qulaity of the players that matters most.

The weather condition during the Kitply Cup series was quite similar-hot and humid. We scored 222 against India (and today we socred 226), and India chased it within 35 overs-at the expense of just one wicket. Indians are not superhumans either, at least when they face BD. But what benefit baking them for 3.5 hours under harsh conditions gave us?

In the final, even when India batted second, they scored almost 300. From time to time I have seen that Ind, Aus, Pak and SL won chasing 280+ scores in the subcontiment, even when the conditions were much more hot and humaid. No matter what the condition is, no matter how much run their bowlers concede, these team thinks that they can chase it down. If you have the quality, you can turn the corner even after you are baked for one session.

Unfortunately our players still do not believe that they can chase sown upto 300, and to be honest we are not capable to chase and win if the score is beyond 250. So, I see no fault with our players. Inshallah when we will achieve the quality, confidence, belief everything wil be taken care off.

ANd one more thing, many BC member said it many times. "When we come to bat, a batting paradise becomes a bowling wicket. When opponent comes to bat, a bowling wicket becomes flat pitch". Be it the Whatmore era or the current era, we witnnessed it during ODIs and tests alike. Why? It is not becasue of bad toss decision. The pitch changes, sometimes more, sometimes less. But it is because of our quality, we struggle more often.

Again super post. One thing i want to add to that. If ash was thinking about doing some thing different or experiment this was the right game. I mean we are already through to the 2nd round and he knows SL will get 300 in 45 overs (at least played against them a lot and knows their power than us who r just watching), So he tried his thing to see what happens. Also in 2nd round his bowlers knows now what not to do when bowling 1st. its not that he is going to win all tosses. I hope they learned all the thing they need to learn from this game. Its wasn't a WC semi final when certain captain was so afraid of SL that they batted second... it was just a formality game... So I back ash 100% for doing his experiment in this game...(i hope playing $ and Shahadat was also an experiment.:D..)

BANFAN
June 26, 2008, 11:31 AM
definitely batting first or bowling first matters. But it is the qulaity of the players that matters most.

I agree to you.

But winning the toss and fielding first was a fundamental mistake and we cannot do such mistake. Even if we know we may not win, does it mean that we ignore basics?

People praise such experiments and accept our inability in the same breath. Can a incapable side afford to fiddle with fundamentals? Have you even seen capable and professional sides doing that?

cricman
June 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
I agree to you.

But winning the toss and fielding first was a fundamental mistake and we cannot do such mistake. Even if we know we may not win, does it mean that we ignore basics?

People praise such experiments and accept our inability in the same breath. Can a incapable side afford to fiddle with fundamentals? Have you even seen capable and professional sides doing that?

U "Flippin" A E restricted them under 300, I Would fancy our chances to winning chasing 290 under the lights against lanka with our imprved batting.If Rajib and $ were just Bad we would have restricted them under 300, they were worse than BAD, Ash made the right call, His bowlers hung him out to dry

thebest
June 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
OOPs wrong thread

One World
June 27, 2008, 03:40 PM
Good question, can we chase 300 against UAE or Ireland.
I doubt we are there yet.

While Pak/Ind/Aus do them frequently against each other.

Eshen
June 28, 2008, 06:01 AM
So Rabz, where that new Ash guy go ? I still can't find him.

djnaved
June 28, 2008, 06:08 AM
So Rabz, where that new Ash guy go ? I still can't find him.

me too, i can't find him.........

hmm, some indians from bhejafry.net/bhejacry.com gave a nickname to him

mohammad f**kraful.............

Eshen
June 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
I guess the old Ash managed to kill the new Ash.

MohammedC
June 30, 2008, 12:02 PM

Could not agree with you more, that was the Ash we knew

WarWolf
June 30, 2008, 12:07 PM
Perfectly put...:-P

Zunaid
June 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
Pulling off the whatever remains of my hair.

Ashraful: Sanath and Sanga played really well. The bowlers came back well after that, Our top order played well but we didn't carry on. I am batting well but need to carry on for some time. Murali is difficult to handle if you don't read the wrong un."

Highlight mine. How can one bat well if one does not carry on?

Kabir
June 30, 2008, 01:08 PM
Pulling off the whatever remains of my hair.

Highlight mine. How can one bat well if one does not carry on?

Different people will have different definitions. Here are some:

1. I am middling the ball
2. I am connecting well

In the case of Ash, here are a few more definitions.

3. I hit a four, you hit none, so I play well.
4. I hit a four, and then a four, and then a four, and then I get out. So I play well.
5. I am tiny, but the ball goes high in the air...so I play well.

Dhurr
June 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
His 7 innings after 100, 94 and 58: 0, 7, 0, 4, 31, 0, 4.

After 100, 94 and 58, everyone said Ashraful has finally transformed. He didn't.

His innings since his 56*, 30 and 109: 8, 20, 14.

Let's see what he does in the next 4 innings. Let's see if he has really changed, or if the new Ashraful is still the old Ashraful. Based on his 124-match career, these sporadic burst of runs seems like "ful's" gold more than anything else. Ashraful's gold.

Ahmed_B
July 1, 2008, 12:31 AM
it doesnt really matter what we believe about ash's transformation. What matters ... is what Ashraful himself believes. He will only start getting steady once he himself starts believing in his growing up.

BD-Shardul
July 1, 2008, 12:41 AM
If Ash can't score a half century against PAK in the last match, I will consider Ash's performance miserable in this tournament. Period.

PoorFan
July 1, 2008, 01:15 AM
Different people will have different definitions. Here are some:

1. I am middling the ball
2. I am connecting well

In the case of Ash, here are a few more definitions.

3. I hit a four, you hit none, so I play well.
4. I hit a four, and then a four, and then a four, and then I get out. So I play well.
5. I am tiny, but the ball goes high in the air...so I play well.
Let me try reading Ash mind ...

I started this tournament with a big innings , but in the next game umpire sent me off unjustly, then got out suddenly playing a bad shot [ unfortunately ], and then last night got out playing expensive shot since we were chasing big score. So all together I think I am batting well but only need some luck to carry on. Lets hope for the best [ there is always a next ].

zainab
July 8, 2008, 06:38 AM
If I am not mistaken, yesterday was Ashraful's 24th birthday. His birthday according to Crucifino is 7th July.

Please let us all wish him a happy birthday and all best wishes for the future.

PoorFan
July 8, 2008, 08:47 AM
If I am not mistaken, yesterday was Ashraful's 24th birthday. His birthday according to Crucifino is 7th July.

Poor me, poor Ash ... no one shows interest!?

Happy birthday and wish him all best ... why not! if it makes any difference.;)

Razi
July 8, 2008, 12:48 PM

If Cricinfo is true then both India (Dhoni) and Bangladesh's (Ash) captain was born on the same day. Anyways a belated happy birthday to this very poor guy who can only blame himself for his failure.:-|