PDA

View Full Version : About the toss

sonarbangla
June 25, 2008, 06:12 AM
I am really getting pissed at the commentators. They are constantly saying it was a wrong decision for Bangladesh to bowl first. I, however, think it was pretty logical. Sri lanka has full strength batting line up on this game, when their bowling line up is slightly out of ground. Therefore, Bangladesh wanted to restrict them somewhere around 250, and then build up their innings based to the required run rate. But certainly it didn't work out, since the only pacer Bangladesh got in Mashrafee. If Russel was there it would have been a different story. Bangladeshi selectors should be more careful picking their team. Farhad Reza would have been a better option instead of Dollar or Shahadat.

Another thing ASH could have done is, bring in the wricket keep while dollar or shahadat is bowling. BD shuoldn't allow SL bats man to come forward and hit.

Spitfire_x86
June 25, 2008, 06:33 AM
The prospect of yet another "50 overs of survival" quest got me really excited :-|

The fact is we can't chase anything beyond 200-220+. At least if we batted first the game wouldn't be dead before it started.

sonarbangla
June 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
lol

nah bd had a good chance to win, if russel and sakib was playing miah. shahadat and dollar gave away too many runs as usual. reminds me of tapash.

baler BCB r mathae kono kisu nai.

bdchamp20
June 25, 2008, 06:48 AM
Well obviously the commentators are going to say what they think is right and as it is turning out it looks as if they are totally right. Lahore is a batting paradise plus when our bowlers are badly out of form I cant see why Ash would want them to go first in the scorching heat. Batting is our stronger point nowadays and when our batsmen go out to bat after taking a bashing in the field their confidence is going to be super low. The thing is our players instead going for the obvious and using common sense they try to be over-ishmart.

Spitfire_x86
June 25, 2008, 06:50 AM
Even parar cricketers have better sense. They don't have to say what do they want after winning the toss, they KNOW it.

sonarbangla
June 25, 2008, 06:52 AM
well as you said, our bowlers are going through a horrible form, now if you make even 300 against this team, they will play accordingly to reach tht total.

Now, bd batsman can at least know about their bowlers strength against good teams.

i think JS had the same plan in mind.

Eshen
June 25, 2008, 07:25 AM
My theories behind the decision -

1) Ash said he had hard time batting under Sun yesterday. May be he thought he would be more comfortable batting after three and half hours fielding under hot Sun.

2) Ash said something about defeating SL. Siddons wanted him to get rid of this silly idea before the match starts, thus forced him to field first.

3) After this generous offer, Lankans should not give us hard time to reach 240 - the goal Siddons has set for us.

crikfreak
June 25, 2008, 08:00 AM
the toss doesn't make sense to me.. and every minute we are getting proof of how bad the decision was..

sonarbangla
June 25, 2008, 08:05 AM
i think it was a wise decision. but didn't click because we are short with 2 bowlers.

djnaved
June 25, 2008, 08:06 AM
I am really getting pissed at the commentators. They are constantly saying it was a wrong decision for Bangladesh to bowl first. I, however, think it was pretty logical. Sri lanka has full strength batting line up on this game, when their bowling line up is slightly out of ground. Therefore, Bangladesh wanted to restrict them somewhere around 250, and then build up their innings based to the required run rate. But certainly it didn't work out, since the only pacer Bangladesh got in Mashrafee. If Russel was there it would have been a different story. Bangladeshi selectors should be more careful picking their team. Farhad Reza would have been a better option instead of Dollar or Shahadat.

Another thing ASH could have done is, bring in the wricket keep while dollar or shahadat is bowling. BD shuoldn't allow SL bats man to come forward and hit.

mamu kufa diso....tumi:-P

Kabir
June 25, 2008, 09:07 AM
I say, Ash should toss the coin up in the air and say that we're batting first.

At least that worked in my goli cricket in Moghbazar...

On that note, was I the only one in Moghbazar that knew of that trick?

Sohel
June 25, 2008, 09:08 AM
Juta Mar !

sadi
June 25, 2008, 09:17 AM
No comment. It went over my head.

bdchamp20
June 25, 2008, 09:17 AM
i think it was a wise decision. but didn't click because we are short with 2 bowlers.
It wasn't a wise decision. If it was Sri Lanka wouldn't be 357/9.

Kabir
June 25, 2008, 09:21 AM
Juta Mar !

If anyone's interested, Old Navy Canada is selling flip-flops for $1 today.

Get as many pairs as you need...quantities are limited. Only 4 pairs per customer.

Choose from the following colors.

http://x16.xanga.com/fa9a3106c023549666658/s31750331.jpg

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 09:52 AM
I think ash and JS did the right thing and agree with sonar bangla here. With our bowling strength there is no way we could stop a SL team chasing down our total what ever it might be. Since we are batting well our best chance of a win is to chase down a SL total against a new SL bowlers... I said best chance. Thats why we are going to lose but this was the right and positive decision... I thought people were complaining before BD was losing match even before they started playing one. well at least today they planned to go for a win...

BANFAN
June 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
It was a foolish decision by all definitions. A weaker team, should always prefer to put scores on the board and then try to put pressure. May be sri would have still won, but that was our best chance.

If there was moisture and chance of too much movement, they could have decided to field.

If nothing else, having a target puts extra pressure. Makes the bowlers give their best to restrict the opponent. Makes the opponent commit error in chasing. Finally, the conditions also was a big factor. Fielding for 3 hours under the sun and then going to bat is more difficult to bat, rathar than batting under the sun and then fielding in the lights.

There can't be any logic of fielding first under the situation, in a perfect batting pitch. Big error for JS.

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 12:45 PM
I think most of the book logics are known to our captain and JS since they went the other way you have to think out side the box for the reason. Yeah according to the book they should have batted. But what if they don't think them selves as week team!!!... Anyway I think they tried some thing new here which didn't work. But i like the new thinking... instead of getting bowled out for 220 and finishing the game in 35 overs they tried some thing new...

Rifat
June 25, 2008, 12:51 PM
i will give Jamie Siddons benefit of thne doubt for another six months...

as Sohel NR once said,

"cricket is a process, not an event or two"

problem is, we need a full strength team to support whatever decision the captain makes.

Shakib, Rasel,Aftab were missed today (if they were to perform their respective role)

thebest
June 25, 2008, 01:04 PM

1) Ash said he had hard time batting under Sun yesterday. May be he thought he would be more comfortable batting after three and half hours fielding under hot Sun.

2) Ash said something about defeating SL. Siddons wanted him to get rid of this silly idea before the match starts, thus forced him to field first.

3) After this generous offer, Lankans should not give us hard time to reach 240 - the goal Siddons has set for us.
You hit the nail in the head. JS ego inflated and can demean DW that we can not score 200+ consistently at his time which we can now. You are back to Sommanjonok Porajoy

Sohel
June 25, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sid takes liberties with our past to suit his ideas. He needs to understand that by doing so, he is ALSO taking liberties with our passion and intelligence without asking. Once he does that, the gloves come off because HE is asking for it.

Having said all that, I'll give him 6 more moths to try and get real, and that only for his limited achievements in the way we're playing test cricket. Looking forward to Nirala's test debut.

Zeeshan
June 25, 2008, 01:12 PM
but i think atathar ali khan got real balls to spew out that its like the end of the match and commentators are still bitching and bickering about the toss...have u noticed how after this bruce went quiet and started talking abt other things?

i mean seriously...commentators acted like those guys who cant get over some rejection from their lovers...sheesh...

but i gotta give my hats off to atathar...and not be cowered by commentators bullying

BANFAN
June 25, 2008, 01:33 PM

A series of events makes a process. The events don't come all together. Till now, most of the events have gone wrong than right. One or Two is quiet a understatement.

No problem with giving time to JS. But can't downplay his mistakes and worng approaches/steps so far.

SS
June 25, 2008, 01:34 PM
Are Gopal Bar akta golpo shonao na bhai...monta khub karap...Ashraphool ke kemne toss shekano jai

Rabz
June 25, 2008, 01:35 PM

I think you hit the spot my man!

Ash forgot to bring his "Fair and Handsom" from Bangladesh. He was in a bit of rush when packing and left it on top of the side table.

After busking in the sun, both physically and after scoring a ton, he rushed to his cute pinkish "man-purse" only to find his must have F&H is missing.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

BanCricFan
June 25, 2008, 01:38 PM
Mostly- in India, Pakistan, Srilanka and Bangladesh- you win toss and bat first.

You bet first in those Lahori pitches. Very simple.

SS
June 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
Ash thought that he might get sun burn playing in the sun.
Don't you guys have any soft corner for him he is suppose to pose for shooting upon his return from Pakistan...He signed up to be the model of a shoe company wearing shoes in a different way not on his foot but on his neck....(source: The Daily Fazal)

Tigers_eye
June 25, 2008, 02:02 PM
They are constantly saying it was a wrong decision for Bangladesh to bowl first. I, however, think it was pretty logical. ....
Pretty logical??
1) How was the track?

2) What was the tempreture?

The above two questions should be enough to make Ash a big Fool and those who are defending him with his illogical decision. goi akarey "ga", dhoi akarey "dha", Duiye miley hoi "GADHA". Cricket sense equals to zero.

Fazal
June 25, 2008, 02:35 PM
1) How was the track?

The track record of this coach-captain combo is not that great.

2) What was the tempreture?

Whose? JS's Mathar Temperature? Or Ashraful-er Ghilur Temperature?

3rd Umpire
June 25, 2008, 03:08 PM
lol

nah bd had a good chance to win, if russel and sakib was playing miah. shahadat and dollar gave away too many runs as usual. reminds me of tapash.

baler BCB r mathae kono kisu nai.

We had rasel and shakib in the world cup but we still got hammered by the lankans...so i dont see the point although rasel and shakib are better bowlers but about the chance to win i dont agree buddy... we were praising shahadat after the SA test match and now you think he's hopeless....really hilarious man

3rd Umpire
June 25, 2008, 03:25 PM
ashraful choosing to bowl on a flat deck in this weather condition was nothing less than a crime....i know some may say that ashraful wanted to know what he would be chasing as no score is safe against sri lanka...but knowing he has to chase 350+ doesnt help ,does it keeping in mind our batting is slightly improving...we could have applied some pressure if our batsmen had scored 240-250

Zeeshan
June 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
Are Gopal Bar akta golpo shonao na bhai...monta khub karap...Ashraphool ke kemne toss shekano jai

golpo? ek deshe chilo ek shonamoni...she na boro hoye ek khatmaan batsman holo...taar naam holo...

next time if the toss coin has two-sided head and if we call tails..we will still win...hehe...:-D

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
ashraful choosing to bowl on a flat deck in this weather condition was nothing less than a crime....i know some may say that ashraful wanted to know what he would be chasing as no score is safe against sri lanka...but knowing he has to chase 350+ doesnt help ,does it keeping in mind our batting is slightly improving...we could have applied some pressure if our batsmen had scored 240-250

No it wouldn't. Wake up. Those r all from Cricket BOOK. Yeah score 250 they will be in pressure. With this bowling line up 450 wouldn't be safe...

MohammedC
June 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
why give a toss about the toss.

3rd Umpire
June 25, 2008, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=akabir77;704222]No it wouldn't. Wake up. Those r all from Cricket BOOK. Yeah score 250 they will be in pressure. With this bowling line up 450 wouldn't be safe...[/QUOT

Faith...u dont have no faith in these bowlers to even defend 450...i see....apart from sanath,sangakkara and mahela sri lanka are no more than ordinary team in terms of batting...putting 250 on the board and getting sanath out early would surely put some pressure...i understand what you're tryin to say about our bowling line up...but buddy thats all we've got now...one's retired, one's in a exam, and one's not wanted by the coach so you have to live with reality...i bet if these same bowlers dismissed a side for 220 you would be praising them to cloud 9...so try being positive

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 04:06 PM
Faith...u dont have no faith in these bowlers to even defend 450...i see....apart from sanath,sangakkara and mahela sri lanka are no more than ordinary team in terms of batting...putting 250 on the board and getting sanath out early would surely put some pressure...i understand what you're tryin to say about our bowling line up...but buddy thats all we've got now...one's retired, one's in a exam, and one's not wanted by the coach so you have to live with reality...i bet if these same bowlers dismissed a side for 220 you would be praising them to cloud 9...so try being positive

I am not the one who is complaining here. Anyway I am not how it shows being positive by not taking the best choice for us to win when we know the other way will lose us the game. If UAE can 200+ what makes u think SL won't? Like i said Ash went outside the box and book so now all Book warm people r against him.

I am all for positive and you should be too. He tried something out didn't work ok move on. no need to cry about it. and there is no way we can prevent anything as no one who matters comes here and read stuff...

3rd Umpire
June 25, 2008, 04:16 PM
I am not the one who is complaining here. Anyway I am not how it shows being positive by not taking the best choice for us to win when we know the other way will lose us the game. If UAE can 200+ what makes u think SL won't? Like i said Ash went outside the box and book so now all Book warm people r against him.

I am all for positive and you should be too. He tried something out didn't work ok move on. no need to cry about it. and there is no way we can prevent anything as no one who matters comes here and read stuff...

yep mate agree with you on what you said.....now BD are into the next round so we should look forward and be optimistic. anyway lets hope for the best...to give a fight in the next stage of the tournament our bowlers need to be more disciplined and have to stop giving away gifts to the batsmen.....

akabir77
June 25, 2008, 04:17 PM
yep mate agree with you on what you said.....now BD are into the next round so we should look forward and be optimistic. anyway lets hope for the best...to give a fight in the next stage of the tournament our bowlers need to be more disciplined and have to stop giving away gifts to the batsmen.....

Exactly.

simon
June 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
We realy needed to bat first bcse our btsmen would have done well without the huge target of 356.
We could have easily made 240+ though we would have lost but still the game wouldnt have gone away from us after the first 30 overs .And we really needed Sakib & Rasel & Reza instd of Dolar.

cricman
June 25, 2008, 04:44 PM
This was not a 357 Pitch, I can assure you that, Worst Case Scenario in Ash and JS mind would be that we Concede 280-310 range and we've had good success in Lahore scoring 285 and 300 Look at Mortaza and Razzak's Figures There Economy's were fine, the other 4 have some

Considering this was a horrible Track

Mortaza 10 overs 52 Runs, 2 Wickets :up:
Razzak 10 overs 55 Runs 3 Wickets :up:
Riad 10 overs 62 Runs 1 Wicket - Average
-------------------------------------------------------
30 Overs 169 Runs 6 Wickets On a Flat Track Thats Pretty Good, Lanka would score in the 290-310 Range

Dolar 3 Overs 49 RUNS
Rajib 7 Overs 62 Runs 2 Wickets (Tailenders) Couldn't get a #11 out for 15 Runs
Kapali 10 Overs 72 Runs 1 Wicket
--------------------------------------------------------
20 Overs 183 Runs 3 Wickets

Sakib and Rasel @ there Absoulute Worst
I'd say they'd have Combined Figures of 20 Overs 135 Runs 2-3 Wickets

Foozy
June 25, 2008, 07:08 PM
Ki bhaijanera eto khepsen kano?
We simply didnt have our bowlers, and this was just bad bowling. SL took full advantage of this... and to their credit they did great!
We on the other hand should stop tagging non-bowlers as full-time bowlers. Or we should just give them one or two overs to bowl. Once you have your best bowlers in the team you can get others to bowl a few overs.

Desperately need Russel and Sakib bak...

ehteshamul
June 25, 2008, 11:52 PM
SHOCKING DECISION!

With a flat and perfect batting pitch existing the decision of Ash to bowl first against Sri Lanka came as a shocker not just to BC readers but to millions of BD fans all over the world.

I personally feel that a golden opportunity was lost to build a good total - possibly in the ( 250 -275) range that would have been a psychological boost for us before the next game in the second round.

It is a matter of commons sense that when you bat first you do not feel pressure as you are not chasing a target. You set our own target at your own pace and because of that you are able to post a challenging total especially when it is a flat batting pitch.

We all know about our bowling limitations. Apart from Razzaq and to some extent Mashrafee the rest looks pretty ordinary though Riyad is improving every match.

By choosing to bat second we exposed our weak bowling to a thorough mauling form the Sri lankan Superstars :Jayasuriya, Sangakara, Kapugedera.

We are indeed fortunate to be spared from the bashing of Mahela Jayarwardena who made an early exit being cleaned up by Razzaq.

It goes to BD cricket bowlers credit that they were able to restrict the Sri lankans to 357/9 when at one stage it appeared that 400 was on the cards.

Let’s see the views of cricketing personalities on Ash’s bizarre decision to bowl first.

Our commentator : Atahar Ali Khan
Atahar Ali Khan sounded very upset and disappointed with this strange decision of Ash.

Commentator Bruce Yardley
Bruce Yardley went one step further . He actually asked ash in the match presentation why did he choose to bowl first and Ash’s answer did not appear very convincing to me.

Opposing Captain Mahela Jawardena
Opposing Captain Mahela Jawardena also mentioned in the match presentation that he was surprised at BD cricket team’s decision to bowl first on a flat batting wicket.

Daily Star journalist Bishwajit Roy’s article on Why did Ashraful bowl?

Cricket
STAR CRICKET
ASIA CUP
Why did Ashraful bowl?

Here the link:

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=42857

If this had happened in Pakistan or India or Sri Lanka the Coach and Captain would have been taken to task by their respective Boards to ensure that such tactical blunders does not happen in the future. What will happen in our case is anybody’s guess.

Anyway no use crying over split milk. If we had batted first a good score of 250 -275 may have bee possible as the bowling of Sri Lankan team apart from Vaas and Murali looked pretty ordinary. Even these two never looked threatening.

While our batting looks better with individual performance showing progressive improvement the bowling looks below standard and in today’s game it was thoroughly exposed as the figures of our bowlers shows. Only Razzaq ‘s figure shows some respectability.

Myself and many other readers have numerous times expressed through threads and postings that we desperately need a Bowling coach for the Senior Team ? Nothing so far. One heard a Sri lankan has been hooked up as a Bowling coach for the Academy and Under 19 which is good. But we need ASAP a tried and tested bowling Coach for the senior boys to learn art of swing bowling and variations which we hardly see from the present bunch.

There is no point criticizing Siddons, Ash & Co for BD cricket team’s poor bowling performance as we lack quality bowlers who can make quick inroads into opposition top order as a result they pile up massive total which becomes difficult for us to defend.

Even if our batsman do well what good it is if we don’t have quality bowlers who can bowl the opposition within a reasonable defendable total.

Neither Siddons nor Ash & Co can solve this problem . The BCB has to solve it
Wake up BCB . Time is running out !

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Whatever THE MIND OF MAN can CONCEIVE and BELIEVE it can ACHIEVE – Napolean Hill

Every ADVERSITY, every FAILURE and every HEARTACHE carries with it the SEED of an equivalent or a greater BENEFIT - Napolean Hill

bujhee kom
June 26, 2008, 01:41 AM

as Sohel NR once said,

problem is, we need a full strength team to support whatever decision the captain makes.

Shakib, Rasel,Aftab were missed today (if they were to perform their respective role)

i totally agree with everything you said!

nmhimal
June 26, 2008, 03:16 AM
Juta Mar !
same from me

germany
June 26, 2008, 07:36 AM
same from me

same from me as well

plus ... bring back Rasel, Rafiq, Pilot, Sakib
give the captaincy to Rafiq or Razzak
and make the line up like this:

Asraful (opener)
Tamim (opener)
Rakibul
Aftab
Sakib
Razzak (C)
Pilot/Mushfiq (WK)
Alok/Riad
Mashrafee
Rafiq
Rasel

drop the kids like Nazim, Zunaid, SN, Rajib, Dollar

and oh yes, sack the loser mentality coach Siddons & selectors
bring a bengali coach like Bulbul or a subcontinental (Akram/Gavaskar)
no more australians, nz, sa or english please!

Kabir
June 26, 2008, 08:32 AM
Sohel bhai juta marar idea disilo...r ami juta marar jonno stock er idea dilam. Amare keu appreciate korlo na. Khelum na.

akabir77
June 26, 2008, 09:55 AM
look at todays game between SL and UAE. SL batted 1st and scored 290. If we had bowled well we could have easily had a game on our hand...

BANFAN
June 26, 2008, 10:43 AM
look at todays game between SL and UAE. SL batted 1st and scored 290. If we had bowled well we could have easily had a game on our hand...

Truely so

samjad
June 26, 2008, 11:17 AM
Sohel bhai juta marar idea disilo...r ami juta marar jonno stock er idea dilam. Amare keu appreciate korlo na. Khelum na.

Apner Juta gula notun r shundor dekhte. Parle kisu sira jutar stock den.

Murad
June 26, 2008, 11:31 AM
kaal jodi amader bowlerra odher ke 250-260 te aatkaite parto.. taile shobai ekhon ja proshongsha korto ashraful er.. kintu ekhon jehetu score onek high hoye gese.. to shobai ore niye faltu criticize kortese..

amader jei bowlerra.. kono line lenght thik korei bowl korte pare na.. even emirates o amader bowler der cheye valo bowl korse last 2 match e.

Ashraful on the toss : BDKHELA (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/index.php?newsID=7262&pageTitle=details&editionID=389)

samjad
June 26, 2008, 11:35 AM
Bhai Murad, Khela Shuru Hobar agei shobai bujte parse oi condition ee Srilanka ke aatkano Jabe na, apart from Ash. He took a pure gamble and he lost. One hand JS saying not to gamble with bat and to take the safe road other hand Ash takes a horrible gamble. So criticizing him isn't faltu , its what he deserved!.

pappiok
June 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
:flag:we need syed rassel back on the team to make a good bowling attack. because after asia cup saqib will back and if selector bring back rassel it will be one of the best team BD ever had.............. i hope after this series selector will not give anymore chance to Shahadat and Dollar in ODI's...... for the australia series i will choose these 15:
1) ashraful
2)mashrafe
3)tamim
4)razzak
5)saqib
6)raqibul
7)aftab
8)Junaid
9)riyad
10)S.nafis
11)rassel
12)nazmul (of course better than shahadat and Doller)
13)reza
14)kapali
15) Talah jubair or Robbin or mosharrof orsajedul islam( im 100 persent sure that they will take an extra pacer for the australia tour